Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Cthulhu Inc
Cthulhu Inc began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
Need help with html>epub ToC

I have some documents that I would love to be able to read conveniently on my iPod, and Calibre converts them excellently, except for one problem. The epubs don't have any table of contents!

How can I get a ToC on an epub that was converted from an html? I need step-by-step instructions, since my code isn't that good...
Cthulhu Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu Inc View Post
I have some documents that I would love to be able to read conveniently on my iPod, and Calibre converts them excellently, except for one problem. The epubs don't have any table of contents!

How can I get a ToC on an epub that was converted from an html? I need step-by-step instructions, since my code isn't that good...
You should be able to fix that using the approach described at http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...specific-order. However this requires going back to the original HTML files.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There are many ways to do this but it is basically a two-step process for each book:
  1. Edit your HTML file in a plain text editor and mark all your chapter headings in a specific way.
  2. Import the edited HTML file into Calibre and, as part of the zip to epub conversion process, tell Calibre what you did in step 1.

A simple example:
Step 1: In the HTML file mark all your chapter headings with <h2>...</h2> tags, like this.
Code:
<h2>Chapter 1</h2>
<p>This is the text... blah blah...</p>

<h2>Chapter 2</h2>
<p>...more text... blah blah...</p>
Step 2: In Convert - Structure Detection - Detect chapters at tell Calibre that you used <h2> tags by entering //h:h2 in the box.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertion