View Full Version : R.I.P. enTourage?

Batman Jr.
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Some ominous signs that enTourage and/or the eDGe may be not be long for the world:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?1697-eDGe-inventories-almost-completed-dried-up

Franky
03-23-2011, 03:00 AM
yup, it looks like it's over. a bit the same as with IREX. a super ereader and suddenly the company was down the drain.

and I bought both...

it is sad. especially because i think both devices are on the top. they are absolute superb in there doing.

i do hope Entourage will come soon with a statement, but so far everybody is still waiting.

Dr. T
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
It is very sad, indeed. A great device and a great company...

Franky
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm still not really convinced it is all over. There is a loot of talk about it, but there are also enough signs they are extremely busy with all kinds of other stuff. Yes, I was sceptic, but I still hope they stay in the market.

Sjarrel
03-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I am convinced it's not over. Delay? Yes. Difficulties? Yes. Solutions? Yes, I have a feeling it's going to be allright.:)

Gunnerp245
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
It is over, if in doubt read the Irex thread. Same signs pointing to the same inveitable outcome.

rhari79
03-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I hope they bring out a single screen version and/or one that targets a wider user base and region(dont think EE is available in Asia).

borisb
03-31-2011, 09:41 AM
The last thing we *may* see is the Froyo update. Most likely lights out after that.

glow
03-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Froyo followed immediately by 'lights out' sounds like a hit-and-run.

ken_jennings
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
I have both the Iliad and the eDGe, too. Yup, they were both pretty good and what they did.

It appears I'm good at being an early adopter of things that are eventually abandoned. Next time I jump on the pre-order bandwagon I'll warn everyone first what's going to happen. ;-)

NiaTrue
03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
I have both the Iliad and the eDGe, too. Yup, they were both pretty good and what they did.

It appears I'm good at being an early adopter of things that are eventually abandoned. Next time I jump on the pre-order bandwagon I'll warn everyone first what's going to happen. ;-)

Do, please, tell--before the rest of us pull the trigger. ;) It seems well all have similar tech-buying abilities, so perhaps you can save the rest of us a few hundred bucks.

iamaguynotagirl
03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
just saying hello here...

Dr. T
03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Though it is raining in Baltimore right now, it sure seems like Snow :)

Welcome to this side!

myst
03-31-2011, 06:07 PM
I guess we will see.... it is not looking good though.

geckoFeet
03-31-2011, 06:25 PM
But but why would they beta Froyo and shut down at the same time? Is "beta" a verb?

borisb
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM

A flurry by any other name...

HardBall
03-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Ohhhh, NOs!!

sarah11918
04-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Awesome user name. :)

borisb
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
enTourage has now pulled its Community Blogs, Press Releases and In the News pages. These are no longer available.

Make of this what you will.

ubergeek
04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
enTourage has now pulled its Community Blogs, Press Releases and In the News pages. These are no longer available.

Make of this what you will.

It was a fun ride...

glow
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, they were very out of date...

borisb
04-01-2011, 03:43 PM
It's as if enTourage is wiping out all records that the EE or PE even existed... Why would a company do that???

STL Droid
04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Just a thought, but I saw this happen once before when someone else bought a technology company to use the concepts for another product. It's like a Philip K Dick novel, you just modify the past...

LoneKiltedNinja
04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
yup, it looks like it's over. a bit the same as with IREX. a super ereader and suddenly the company was down the drain.

Could be worse- I contemplated iRex and then they went under. Had to settle for an eBay iLliad rather than a new iLliad 2. Hence grabbing an eDGe from the source as soon as I heard about it. I guess I accidentally contemplated Entourage somewhere in there as well, in spite of my best efforts to impulse-buy >.<

Edit: Coming from my own patent-obsessed branch of the tech industry, I half wonder if iRex and Entourage are less of a coincidence than first appears. I wouldn't be surprised if combining e-paper and stylus-input is such a good idea that someone is being an IP-@$$ about it and while the big players like Sony know enough to pre-cripple their stylus input to only do hilighting and thus avoid IP issues, the small guys who have the great idea to actually do a useful drawing-type e-paper input get sued, blackmailed, or otherwise legally drop-kicked behind the scenes by whomever has the patent and wants to see more money out of it than the small guys are worth...

borisb
04-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I found a surprising number of dual-LCD devices today that were announced back at CES 2011 or in the few months before and after - NEC, MSI, Acer, etc.

Perhaps the eInk + LCD configuration is somehow locked by enTourage, and one of these players wants in. That would be great, as these are much larger companies that will be able to bring much better resources to bear. However, I'm 99% sure none of these companies will care about their customer service as much as the CEO/President and staff of enTourage did.

guyjack
04-02-2011, 06:30 PM

No SNOW here in New Mexico! How are you doing Mr. guynotagirl!

inkyfantastic
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Edit: Coming from my own patent-obsessed branch of the tech industry, I half wonder if iRex and Entourage are less of a coincidence than first appears. I wouldn't be surprised if combining e-paper and stylus-input is such a good idea that someone is being an IP-@$$ about it and while the big players like Sony know enough to pre-cripple their stylus input to only do hilighting and thus avoid IP issues, the small guys who have the great idea to actually do a useful drawing-type e-paper input get sued, blackmailed, or otherwise legally drop-kicked behind the scenes by whomever has the patent and wants to see more money out of it than the small guys are worth...

How would this affect the Asus eee Note in that case? Or perhaps Asus is the IP owner of stylus input, although I didn't think so...

beachwanderer
04-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Perhaps the eInk + LCD configuration is somehow locked by enTourage, and one of these players wants in. That would be great, as these are much larger companies that will be able to bring much better resources to bear.

Interesting thought. But that implies that eInk is seen as a vialble tech by one of the larger companies (aside from Sony) who didn't consider the e-reader market too important up until now. I doubt that any of those would go down this route and suspect they would believe that any monochrome display is sufficient. :rolleyes:

However, I'm 99% sure none of these companies will care about their customer service as much as the CEO/President and staff of enTourage did.

Agreed.

By the way, I did stay away from taking the plunge to try the update until now but I have to say a big :thanks: and greets to all those who tried already and reported on their impressions in the Ermine-threads over at enTourage forum!

I guess I'll try it tomorrow, if I can find the time for the necessary precautions ... :D

Filark
04-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm still optimistic that we are seeing the evolution of a company, rather than its total destruction. Whether the great customer care will continue is another question.

So, if a big (bigger) company is about to acquire our beloved EnTourage and the eDGe technology, who do you think would be the best fit??

Discuss! :D

beachwanderer
04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, well.

Either all the people trying to download Ermine bring the server down or its over for now: When I tried to connect to entourageedge.com just now all I got was

The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later. Certainly. :rolleyes:

geckoFeet
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
They do have a habit of working on the site while it's live, so it might be back up later. Doesn't look very professional, at best.

fgruber
04-04-2011, 02:43 PM
let's hope they are just updating the website with a lot of cool new stuff... :)

tr_tr
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
According to the entourage site: technical issues. "No worries, this should be fixed soon".

myst
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I was able to get to the website just now.

beachwanderer
04-05-2011, 02:20 AM
I was able to get to the website just now.

:tup: Yes. Working again.

borisb
04-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I think we finally have a clear picture of what is going on at enTourage.

Read the following post on the enTourage forums: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?1774-A-Visit-to-enTourage-Systems.

borisb
04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Because that's as far as they got on Froyo, and given it's almost finished, why not give it to the community while they're still around to do so? 9 months of work has gone into Froyo...

janhall_us
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I called Tech Support yesterday to follow up on an old February ticket to try to get resolution in case all of the speculation (or not so much now since someone else's visit to HQ) and the woman I spoke to had a heavy accent. At the end of the call told me she would transfer my ticket to the corporate office techs. I'm assuming I reached an out-sourced technical support center, and this was using the customer service number posted on the Entourage website.

Avarwen
04-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Sad to hear that I had one but I sent it back it was nice but just not for me. The future is most likely going to be an LCD eink hybrid like pixel qi. There really is no need for two screen though it was cool.

ZombieEatsYou
04-27-2011, 04:26 PM
entourageedge.com:

"The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later."

Ominous

Filark
04-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Or not! :)

Check the speculation in the post entitled "The cake is not a lie" in the entourageedge.com forum (http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php).

I am hoping for good things, but, as always, preparing for bad. ;/

sarah11918
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
entourageedge.com:

"The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later."

Ominous

Not always. Last time the website went down for maintenance and it only came back up on 1 or 2 of their servers. To me, it looked like it was down for 3 days when really it had only been down for an hour or two.

I'm getting the error message for the main website, but not for my bookmarked page directly into the forums. So it's not "gone" gone, at any rate.

It might be handy to bookmark a page like:
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily

(all posts within the last 24 hours) or the main link to the forum home to be able to use as a comparison when this happens.

Penru
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Well if anyone wants to get rid of there Entourage reader, I will give it a good home. I will walk it and feed it and love it! I would buy my own but I am scared by the time I save up the money there will be no more available...

Dr. T
04-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Wow, the entourageedge.com servers are *still* really struggling! Now, I can read forum posts, but not reply. I hope all of these issues with their server is not indicative of the end coming sooner rather than later. :(

sarah11918
04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Yup, I'm having the same issue replying as well today.

glow
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Oh, that explains why there are no new posts to read!
:(

Edit: seems to be working now.

fgruber
04-29-2011, 10:44 AM
not for me :angry:
Oh, that explains why there are no new posts to read!
:(

Edit: seems to be working now.

5thWiggle
04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
just checked. working for me now.

sarah11918
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
The cake *is* a lie! I still can't respond. :(

It must be going in and out. I saw your response 5thWiggle, but I couldn't reply.

Edited to add: I think it was funny that my 100th post was "The Cake is a Lie" :)

glow
04-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Now "Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain" keeps going through my head!

5thWiggle
04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Is there a MacArthur's Park in McLean VA? You may have solved Dontpanic's cryptic clue, glow!

glow
04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Curiouser and curiouser, it starts to feel like a cosmic scavenger hunt....

Edit: There is a MacArthur Dr!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mclean+va+macarthur

Filark
04-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I thought it was just me! (The can't-make-a-post thing) :(

Could be something to do with tornadoes in the South.

Glow, thanks (not!) for this:
"Now "Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain" keeps going through my head!"
I hadn't thought of that, and now I can't . . . stop . . . thinking about it! :p

How long before cake goes stale?? ;)

borisb
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I just checked now (first time today), and I'm getting the dreaded "page is not available" screen for the enTourage website now, too... :( Forums appear still up, though.

Batman Jr.
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
For what it's worth, all the tabs on the site's front page open to something for me.

obsessed2
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I just checked the Entourage Store Site using my Pocket Edge. It comes up but it is totally blank, no books, no apps, no music. The Support Information is still there and I can look at My Account Information but everything else is gone.

5thWiggle
04-29-2011, 07:17 PM
:(I was fine all day, now I can't reply either.

glow
04-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Glow, thanks (not!) for this:
"Now "Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain" keeps going through my head!"
I hadn't thought of that, and now I can't . . . stop . . . thinking about it! :p

How long before cake goes stale?? ;)

You'll never have that recipe again....

:)

ZombieEatsYou
04-30-2011, 08:17 AM
You'll never have that recipe again....

:)

OH, NOOOOooooooo

Filark
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
:rofl: :thumbsup: :smack:

I was going to say (sing) that! :p

<runs through lyrics in head>

Last_of_the_PEs
05-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm sure a lot of good folks at Entourage put a lot of time into getting Froyo as far as it is on the Edge(s). It's a small industry -- you work with the same folks over and over. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. But flushing hundreds of hours of peoples' time down the john is not a good move if it can be avoided.
The best thing would be for the Beta to be really stable and be released by the company. Otherwise, hopefully enough of the inner-info on the units will leak out and the team will complete the work independently after the lights go out.
If Entourage can find a buyer, maybe they will retain the same team and finish the job.

Serena
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh no! I just bought one of the Woot deals, I hope they keep the website up long enough for me to download the Ermine update!

sarah11918
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh no! I just bought one of the Woot deals, I hope they keep the website up long enough for me to download the Ermine update!

I'm sure they will. They must know that their stock is being sold off, and that new purchasers need a change to register their devices, get the upgrade etc.

If they were going to go off the air while devices were still selling, I'm sure they would have done it by now! My guess is they at least wait until none of the official resellers have any stock left. If they're still letting us go nuts in the forum, there's no reason to shut down the rest of the website.

Last_of_the_PEs
05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I also bought the Woot deal. I agree, that upgrade will be the last thing to turn off, and elsewhere on this site you can find links to older "update.zip"s and the manual loader, so our PE units might be orphaned, but not hopeless. The thing's also been 'rooted', so there are enough bit-heads using it to keep them going until something much better comes along. Hey, for a buck-fiddy, it can't be a bad deal.

Hmmm, interesting. sarah11918 uses the same tagline as "tablet wench" on the entourage forum...

sarah11918
05-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Hmmm, interesting. sarah11918 uses the same tagline as "tablet wench" on the entourage forum...

The entourage forum doesn't let you choose your own membership status like this one does. You have to know someone who plays a little fast and loose with forum moderation on his last day on the job to get a fancy title like that over there! ;)

I picked this title when I joined mobile reads because I don't actually have any other ebook reader - all my devices (and my interests) are tablets with handwriting/journal capabilities.

geneven1
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
But but why would they beta Froyo and shut down at the same time? Is "beta" a verb?

You beta your life it is!