View Full Version : Sigil 0.4.0 betas

Valloric
03-20-2011, 03:49 PM
The first beta of 0.4.0 is now out. More details in the related blog post. (http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/03/sigil-0401.html)

Ahmad Samir
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Great, trying to build it now.

A side note, the file name is Sigil-0.4.0β1-Code.zip ? that's intentional or a typo? (I'd rather it's b1 so that I don't have to rename the file :)).

Valloric
03-20-2011, 04:39 PM
It's intentional. The "β" character is the Greek letter "beta" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta).

Toxaris
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Downloaded and posted a first issue. Something strange happens in the split files sequence in the Book Browser. I split with ctrl+enter.

Ahmad Samir
03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
It's intentional. The "β" character is the Greek letter "beta" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta).
(Yes, I know it's a Greek letter).

No problem, I'll just rename the zip file as that character bothers rpm-build.

theducks
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Windows XP
An old issue has cropped up again:

Splitting a file, moving to another file and splitting that, loses the proper place (section0003 ended up at the end of the list when it was part of a multiple split from one of the first chapter section

Toxaris
03-21-2011, 03:47 AM
That's the issue I logged. It seems that when I create a new file, it goes just above the one that is open in the window.
Another one is that search in all files does not always work. I get the message that it is not found when I am sure it is there. If I go to the file and search, I do find it.

Toxaris
03-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Another very annoying one. I first thought it was me... I saved a file last night and opened it today. Some files missing. Hmm. Made changes and saved it again. Again two files missing. No clue in why though...
It were the last two files I worked on.

It also garbles up the content.opf and the toc.ncx. Files are mentioned twice (or more). Regenerating the toc does not help.

I edited the content.opf by hand by setting the sequence right. I usually rename the section000x.xhtml to something like chap0x.xhtml. The id's in the content.opf were totally off. Usually the old names. Therefore multiple Section0001.xhtml existed. I think that is where the trouble starts...

Toxaris
03-21-2011, 04:29 AM
And another issue. I set in the meta editor the following fields: Title, Author, language and ISBN. Upon validation I get the following errors:
The "scheme" attribute is not an allowed attribute of the <identifier> element.
The "role" attribute is not an allowed attribute of the <creator> element.

And indeed, Sigil put in the following information in the opf:
<dc:identifier scheme="ISBN">9029013303</dc:identifier>
<dc:creator role="aut">Jack Vance</dc:creator>

I would expect:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">9029013303</dc:identifier>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Jack Vance</dc:creator>

If I add the "opf:", validation goes right.

Valloric
03-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Everyone, please, report the issues on the tracker. That's what it's for.

Thank you.

Valloric
03-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Another very annoying one. I first thought it was me... I saved a file last night and opened it today. Some files missing. Hmm. Made changes and saved it again. Again two files missing. No clue in why though...
It were the last two files I worked on.

Try to make that reproducible, then report it on the tracker.

It also garbles up the content.opf and the toc.ncx. Files are mentioned twice (or more). Regenerating the toc does not help.

Same thing. Make it reproducible, report on tracker.

I edited the content.opf by hand by setting the sequence right. I usually rename the section000x.xhtml to something like chap0x.xhtml. The id's in the content.opf were totally off. Usually the old names. Therefore multiple Section0001.xhtml existed. I think that is where the trouble starts...

The ID's can be anything, as long as they're unique. I don't update them when you rename your files. Their content doesn't matter.

Valloric
03-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Another one is that search in all files does not always work. I get the message that it is not found when I am sure it is there. If I go to the file and search, I do find it.

Again,

take the file,
go to the tracker,
write a procedure that reproduces this bug,
upload the file,
press "submit".

Then it can get fixed.

Toxaris
03-21-2011, 06:00 AM
You are fast! I entered a issue and could not find it a few minutes later, because it is fixed in an revision! Good work!

Valloric
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Second beta is now online. (http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/03/sigil-0402.html)

crutledge
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Second beta is now online. (http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/03/sigil-0402.html)

At first check seems much better. :thumbsup:

BTW: Has anyone else noticed a significant slowing of the download of Calibre and Sigil from Google? It took 15 min to download beta 2.

Jabby
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey beta folks;

Did the zoom get worked on?

Regards - John

Valloric
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
BTW: Has anyone else noticed a significant slowing of the download of Calibre and Sigil from Google? It took 15 min to download beta 2.

That is a current Google issue. (http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=4843)

crutledge
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
I have just posted Issue 807 to preclude Valloric's standard response. The html and ePub files were attached.

Has anyone else run into these problems?

1. After a html file is initially loaded and Flight Crew is run, a missing Section0001.xhtml is reported which does not exist. The name of the html file is the first entry in the Book Browser.

2. The OPF file initially shows entries for Setion0001.xhtml and never updates as the file is edited.

3. Semantics application does not work so no Guide is generated.

4. When Generate TOC from Headings is selected, the headings show up in more or less random fashion.

Have I been doing something wrong?

Valloric
03-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I have just posted Issue 807 to preclude Valloric's standard response. The html and ePub files were attached.

I've responded to the issue. (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=807) I can't reproduce your problem. Opening your HTML file works just fine here.

There does appear to be a problem with setting semantics for this one file though... I'll look into it more tomorrow.

crutledge
03-22-2011, 05:42 AM
I am wrestling with Sigil 4.0. The attached html file passes Sigil 3.4 with no problems/errors.

After Valloric's response to Issue 807, I considered that IE9 might be causing the problem and downloaded with RegetPro. Same results.

The following is the OPF produced with Book Viewer showing 30 sections and Tidy off.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:6c366086-88b2-4324-88d6-a9681c1bc5e4</dc:identifier>
<dc:title>Bladys of the Stewponey</dc:title>
<dc:rights>Public domain in Australia.</dc:rights>
<dc:subject>Fiction</dc:subject>
<dc:subject>Novels</dc:subject>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Baring-Gould. Sabine</dc:creator>
<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp">Richard Scott</dc:contributor>
<dc:description>Ebook prepared by crutledge@knology.net</dc:description>
<dc:source>http://www.gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0605161h.html</dc:source>
<dc:date opf:event="publication">2011-03-21</dc:date>
<dc:publisher>Project Gutenberg Australia</dc:publisher>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/TitlePage.jpg" id="TitlePage.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/ChapterEnd.jpg" id="ChapterEnd.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/Cartouche.jpg" id="Cartouche.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Text/Bladys of the Stewponey.htm" id="BladysoftheStewponey.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="BladysoftheStewponey.htm" />
</spine>
</package>

The following is the error list from Flight Crew. Please note the reference to Section0001.xhtml, which does not exist. The first section is titled Bladys of the Stewponey.htm.
OEBPS/Images/Cartouche.jpg|N/A|This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
OEBPS/Images/ChapterEnd.jpg|N/A|This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
OEBPS/Images/TitlePage.jpg|N/A|This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
OEBPS/Styles/main.css|N/A|This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.
OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml|N/A|This OPS document is reachable but not present in the OPF <spine>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.
OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml|N/A|This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.
OEBPS/content.opf|23|The <item> element's "href" attribute value is "Text/Bladys of the Stewponey.htm", which is not a valid URI.
OEBPS/toc.ncx|19|This <content> element's "src" attribute value is "Text/Section0001.xhtml", but that file does not exist.

When Generete TOC is selected, the TOC comes out in more or less random order.

So! What have I done? :help:

PS: Semantics does not work!

Valloric
03-22-2011, 06:12 AM
I am wrestling with Sigil 4.0. The attached html file passes Sigil 3.4 with no problems/errors.

I see no problem with Sigil 0.4.0b2 behaviour here (except the semantics, that doesn't work).

Opening your HTML file in Sigil 0.4.0b2 creates a nice OPF. It's a different OPF than the one you posted, but the one you posted makes no sense. It lists images etc. and you only provided an HTML file. There are no images in your RAR, and thus none are imported.

If you just pasted the OPF from your post into Sigil, then that's not going to work. Again, the OPF from your post lists images and other files in the manifest, and they don't exist in the epub. Of course FlightCrew is going to complain about that, it's supposed to.

The FC complaint about a reference to Section0001.xhtml comes from the NCX. You just opened an HTML file. This updated the OPF, but not the NCX (maybe I should make opening HTML files create a heading-based NCX...). The NCX you currently have is the "default" one, the one referencing Section0001.xhtml. Just generate a new TOC and that reference (and the FC error report) will go away.

WRT random TOC generation... again, I can't reproduce that. When I open you file and press the "Generate..." button, a nice TOC is built. There's nothing random about it. Every heading gets an entry in the NCX in the order in which it appears.

schlonz
03-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I see no problem with Sigil 0.4.0b2 behaviour here (except the semantics, that doesn't work).

WRT random TOC generation... again, I can't reproduce that. When I open you file and press the "Generate..." button, a nice TOC is built. There's nothing random about it. Every heading gets an entry in the NCX in the order in which it appears.

I tried a lot of diffrent things.
The only way to produce a "Random TOC" is to split up a book using the "SGF Chapter marker" and then pressing the "Generate TOC from Headings " button.
The second problem is that the created XHTML file are shown on the left side, but after saving and reopening the book, they are gone. (only in the content.opf and in the filebrowser. When i open the ziped book with the explorer they are still in.)

ru

Valloric
03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
I tried a lot of diffrent things.
The only way to produce a "Random TOC" is to split up a book using the "SGF Chapter marker" and then pressing the "Generate TOC from Headings " button.
The second problem is that the created XHTML file are shown on the left side, but after saving and reopening the book, they are gone. (only in the content.opf and in the filebrowser. When i open the ziped book with the explorer they are still in.)

ru

Write an issue report about it. Include your test procedure.

schlonz
03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Write an issue report about it. Include your test procedure.

I already have.

ru

crutledge
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
When I load the ePub file created by Sigil 3.4, it looks beautiful in Sigil 4.0. Just the way you describe. :)

There are four images in the html which load to images as shown in images.jpg.

The screwed-up TOC is shown in toc.jpg.

I pre-edit the HTML file using EditPadPro. There I insert sigil chapter breaks and the cover and title page and other images. Immediately after loading to Sigil, I press F6 (Split on SGF Chapter Markers) and move on from there.

Could there be something in the html file causing problems???

crutledge
03-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Valoric,
When Sigil 4.0 is installed Sigil 3.4 remains and I can run either.

If there is a difference between the auxillary files, for QT etc., that is different for the two versions, could something loaded by Sigil 3.4 be interfering with the operarion of Sigil 4.0?

Reaching!!!:chinscratch::chinscratch:

Valloric
03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I'll have to take a closer look at all this. But crutledge, you initially didn't mention you were splitting the file before pressing the generate TOC button. This information appears to be key.

I'll have to postpone looking at all this again, since I'm busy as hell today (*sigh*, again).

Valoric,
When Sigil 4.0 is installed Sigil 3.4 remains and I can run either.

If there is a difference between the auxillary files, for QT etc., that is different for the two versions, could something loaded by Sigil 3.4 be interfering with the operarion of Sigil 4.0?

Reaching!!!:chinscratch::chinscratch:

If you install to a different location, then yes, you can have multiple versions of Sigil side-by-side on the same machine. They should all work just fine. And no, the version of Qt from one can't interfere with the version of Qt from the other.

m0b
03-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Is it really necessary to actually use Greek alphabet letter to indicate beta version in installer name?

Valloric
03-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Is it really necessary to actually use Greek alphabet letter to indicate beta version in installer name?

You have a personal grudge against Greek letters? :rolleyes:

Every OS that Sigil supports is Unicode-aware.

crutledge
03-23-2011, 08:19 AM
"It's all greek to me."
Shakespear
:) :chinscratch: ;)

theducks
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM

I like that attribute :thumbsup:
There is absolutely NO doubt, that I am running a version with possible gottchas

Hitch
03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
You have a personal grudge against Greek letters? :rolleyes:

Every OS that Sigil supports is Unicode-aware.

chartreuse bidet alert. (Does this mean that the topic we're discussing is douche-worthy?)

Hitch

crutledge
03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
After some editing of contents.opf and toc.ncx I have produced my first ePub with Sigil 4.0. The TOC appears on upload and is correct and symantics work.

Is there a sequence to operations recommended for 4.0?

Where I first load a html file the only the filename.htm is showing in the Book Browser. Flight Crew reports it as an invalid URL as it is apparently looking for xhtml files. I rename it as cover.xhtml and that error goes away.

After I split the file (f6), Flight Crew reports all Chapters as non-existant since all are still named as Sections in the Book Browser. As I rename each section, these reported errors go away.

While you are making major changes could a simple change be made to the Book Browser menu? Remove and Rename are adjacent. It would be very nice of you to move the REMOVE selection to the bottom of the menu.

It also would be nice if the beta version were contained in the ABOUT window

Good work. All good things come to he who waits.:iloveyou:

st_albert
03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
While you are making major changes could a simple change be made to the Book Browser menu? Remove and Rename are adjacent. It would be very nice of you to move the REMOVE selection to the bottom of the menu.

I'll second that one, Bro! Many a time, I've been ->| |<- that close to deleting a file instead of renaming. Thank goodness for the "are you really sure" prompt, before it actually deletes!

Us old fogeys ( me, not you!) who type and click faster than we read need all the help we can get. :D

Valloric
03-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Where I first load a html file the only the filename.htm is showing in the Book Browser. Flight Crew reports it as an invalid URL as it is apparently looking for xhtml files. I rename it as cover.xhtml and that error goes away.

After I split the file (f6), Flight Crew reports all Chapters as non-existant since all are still named as Sections in the Book Browser. As I rename each section, these reported errors go away.

This should not happen. Report it.

crutledge
03-26-2011, 04:55 AM
This should not happen. Report it.

Issue 823.

Jabby
03-26-2011, 11:56 AM
How do you turn off the "clean as you go" feature?(Beta 3 Win7 x64) Tidy on or off makes no difference - in CV you can't cut&paste without the error window appearing. It won't even allow you open another window (an editor used to store cut&paste data) without creating an error.

Example: I inserted an <i> in he text stream and then tried to paste the </i>. The second I clicked the right mouse button at the insertion point, the error message pops up. Clicking the "Manual Fix" button puts you in an ever ending loop until you manually type in the info.

Another strange result: In he above scenario I clicked the auto fix while editing the first paragraph. In one instance it placed the </i> the end of he current paragraph and placed "sgc-1" in every class statement for the rest of the chapter. In every other instance it placed he <i>&</i> at the beginning and end of each paragraph.

Regard - John

Valloric
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Example: I inserted an <i> in he text stream and then tried to paste the </i>. The second I clicked the right mouse button at the insertion point, the error message pops up. Clicking the "Manual Fix" button puts you in an ever ending loop until you manually type in the info.

What OS are you running?

Jabby
03-26-2011, 04:48 PM
What OS are you running?
Windows 7 64bit. Can try 32bit sigil if you want.

Regards - John
P.S. After validating, I removed some image files and decided using sigil was to slow so I unzipped and removed them manually. Went back to sigil and re-validated. An error was generated for each file manually removed (including the "href" errors which had been removed long since and was the reason I was removing the image files.)

Validating with V3.4 Windows 7 in 32bit mode (running both on same computer) validates without error.

crutledge
03-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Valloric,

If you're working on toc.ncx, a cr/lf between records would make is much easier to read. :smack:

Also Alt F3 is exceedingly close to Alt F4. A couple of times I have shut Sigil down instead of viewing the toc. :smack:

crutledge
04-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Sigil 4.0 beta 3 reports the following errors from Flight Crew although Sigil 3.4 accepts them with no problems.

The <item> element's "href" attribute value is "Text/How He Left the Hotel.xhtml", which is not a valid URI.

The <item> element's "href" attribute value is "Text/Many Waters Cannot Quench Love.xhtml", which is not a valid URI.

Which version of Flight Crew is correct? Can a file name now have no spaces?

crutledge
04-01-2011, 12:58 AM
You have to push the Generate toc button after you do the split to update the NCX. Sigil will not update it for you. Remember, users now have the ability to edit the NCX by hand and Sigil cannot assume you want your TOC overwritten.

This is very interesting. I have finally experimented with a file to see when the toc.ncx automatically updates and now understand how you put things together.

Since looking in detail at the toc.ncx, it would seem that the only changes that can be made is to the TEXT entry and the sequence. Changing src would seem wrong but can be done. Trying to use &nbsp; to force an indent doesn't work.

Also version 4.0 loads the first files (title page, and table of contents) out of sequence and when I move them into proper sequence a "push" of the Generate toc button is needed to update the toc.ncx.

It would seem that a better approach for the user is to have a "do not update toc" button and otherwise use full auto update.

Valloric
04-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Sigil 4.0 beta 3 reports the following errors from Flight Crew although Sigil 3.4 accepts them with no problems.

The <item> element's "href" attribute value is "Text/How He Left the Hotel.xhtml", which is not a valid URI.

The <item> element's "href" attribute value is "Text/Many Waters Cannot Quench Love.xhtml", which is not a valid URI.Which version of Flight Crew is correct? Can a file name now have no spaces?

Create an issue with the file attached. The errors reported are correct (spaces need to be percent-encoded), but if one version of FC ignores this, something wonky is going on.

Also version 4.0 loads the first files (title page, and table of contents) out of sequence

Create an issue and attach the epub for which the content files are loaded out of sequence.

crutledge
04-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Create an issue with the file attached. The errors reported are correct (spaces need to be percent-encoded), but if one version of FC ignores this, something wonky is going on.

Issue #832

Create an issue and attach the epub for which the content files are loaded out of sequence.

As soon as I hit it again.

huebi
04-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Did that disappeared? I cant find the "merge with previous"... this was very helpful for me.

Toxaris
04-02-2011, 05:54 PM
It is still in my version, just checked.

huebi
04-03-2011, 02:05 AM
I have WinXP 32bit and i'm unable to find that. wasnt that rightclick on the file? I think i need to reinstall the 034 until the ordering of files when splitting is fixed (#830)

huebi
04-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Okay, if the filename contains a dot the context entry merge with previous disappears. I will open a case

theducks
04-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Okay, if the filename contains a dot the context entry merge with previous disappears. I will open a case

an extra dot? like in: foo.bar.xhtml

crutledge
04-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Is there any way to control the indentation of the toc without changing the header values (h3 vs h2))?

I would like to indent some <h2> below other <h2>. I have tried %nbsp; but they have no effect.

Cheers:D

huebi
04-03-2011, 10:21 AM
You have <h1> to <h6> to achieve this. header elements are marking up the text, not styling the text.

crutledge
04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
You have <h1> to <h6> to achieve this. header elements are marking up the text, not styling the text.

You miss my point entirely. As indicated, I don't want to use <h2>, <h3>. Using these, the toc folds up and must be expanded and the structure of the book is hidden. I wish to bypass this. No little arrows in the toc.

ldolse
04-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Is there any way to control the indentation of the toc without changing the header values (h3 vs h2))?

I would like to indent some <h2> below other <h2>. I have tried %nbsp; but they have no effect.

Cheers:D

Style the second h2 to with an indented css class.

theducks
04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
You miss my point entirely. As indicated, I don't want to use <h2>, <h3>. Using these, the toc folds up and must be expanded and the structure of the book is hidden. I wish to bypass this. No little arrows in the toc.

I believe Leading spaces get trimmed
:bulb2: Have you thought of using a 'bullet' type entity (&bull; ) and then a space ?

crutledge
04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Talking to you folks always helps me to see the obvious. Sitting here in my ebook scriptorium with children, grand and great grand children in and out, the TV going and refriigerator door slamming is truly a lonely calling. :angry::angry:

The obvious finally came up and slapped me in the face. Instead of &nbsp; which Sigil has problems with except in the text, I decided to try a plain old space. And LO! It works. I can now format the toc.ncx to look like the inline toc.

Boy, what a good idea to edit the toc.ncx, Valloric! :2thumbsup:smack:

huebi
04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
This is not the way the h-element works. It was desiged to show up the hierachical relationship. What you are doind is misusing the elements like we did 20 years ago creating webpages.

crutledge
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
This is not the way the h-element works. It was desiged to show up the hierachical relationship. What you are doind is misusing the elements like we did 20 years ago creating webpages.

I disagree!

The h-elements were designed for style. Then some one on some committee
said, "I know how to solve the ncx structure problem! We can use the various h-elements to control indentation." Not taking into consideration how some programmer might want freedom to format a book or a TOC.

That, sir, is a misuse.

Jellby
04-04-2011, 04:31 AM
What? You are trying to apply styling to the NCX and discard its structure by having all items the same level? I'm sorry, but I don't see the point and it just seems wrong.

theducks
04-04-2011, 07:17 AM
What? You are trying to apply styling to the NCX and discard its structure by having all items the same level? I'm sorry, but I don't see the point and it just seems wrong.
I understand 'The point' ;)

He is trying to 'fix' an (IMHO) irritation with how nested TOC entries were rendered (collapsed) in the 'catalog' function on various readers.

Calibre-viewer, Sigil and Epub-Reader show these expanded fully :thumbsup:.

The ADE on my PEz starts with them collapsed
+h1 item1
+h1 item2
+h1 item3

Expanding a selected h1, now shows ONLY
h1 item2 (the selected. Really the level return selection)
+h2
+h2 part2
+h2

Expanding a h2
h2 part2
h3
h3
h3

Note: expanding a level only shows the return point and not the higher level nest.

That is what is being 'fixed' :smack:

crutledge
04-04-2011, 07:30 AM

If I have a book of multiple parts and chapters within the parts, book styling comes into play.

According to the purist, if I style the part headers as <h2>PART</h2>, then I must style chapters as <h3>CHAPTER</h3> to show structure, and then the structure of the book is not seen until the little arrow next to the PART is clicked by the reader and the chapter headers are too small. Otherwise, I can style everything as <h2>...</h2> and then get a straight list with no structure and looks lousy.

By simply putting in four (4) spaces (spspspspCHAPTER) the toc is shown with structure and (at least to me) looks much better.

Take a look at the toc in the attched ePub.

I don't see the great HOORAH.:) When I build an inline toc, I am very concerned about structure. I have the same concerns in an ePub toc. The next thing I have to figure out is putting in blank line between sections.:)

To me, the ideal solution is to be able to edit the structure in the Sigil toc window marking up the structure and content as desired. Otherwise, why would anyone want to edit toc.ncx?

theducks
04-04-2011, 09:41 AM
the chapter headers are too small.
If the header text-size is your issue: :bulb2:
Stylesheet:

h3.chapter {font-size: 115%}

Usage:
<h3 class="chapter"> Looks about the same as H2</h3>

:bulb2: <h3>Chapter X <br /> A second line in the book and as a single line in the TOC</h3>
(you have to include a space or the lines runs together in the TOC)

crutledge
04-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Stylesheet:

h3.chapter {text-size: 115%}

Usage:

:bulb2: <h3>Chapter X <br /> A second line in the book and as a single line in the TOC</h3>
(you have to include a space or the lines runs together in the TOC)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Great minds, etc etc. :D

Jellby
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Ithen the structure of the book is not seen until the little arrow next to the PART is clicked by the reader and the chapter headers are too small.

That's entirely a reading software issue. If you don't like how a particular software/reader displays the TOC, you have a problem with that software, but that's not a reason to break the structure of the TOC.

By simply putting in four (4) spaces (spspspspCHAPTER) the toc is shown with structure and (at least to me) looks much better.

But you are only worrying about how it "looks", not about the structure. The information that keeps several chapters inside a part is lost.

Take a look at the toc in the attched ePub.

OK. Take a look at the attached screenshot (the first one). It's not a widespread reader, it's just the output of my script to convert ePUB into HTML. Since the TOC is flat, it's displayed flat (and leading spaces are dropped by HTML).

Now look at the second screenshot, it's with the correct structure. The style may not be too nice, but at least it keeps the structure.

When I build an inline toc, I am very concerned about structure. I have the same concerns in an ePub toc. The next thing I have to figure out is putting in blank line between sections.:)

Then create a TOC with the correct structure, and let the reader do the styling, indenting, collapsing and whatnot.

Jellby
04-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Stylesheet:

h3.chapter {text-size: 115%}

Usage:

It's font-size, and it only looks the same if h2 uses the same number ;)

To avoid surprises, it's always better not to trust defaults and set the important things yourself, in this case at least: font-size, margin, text-align, font-weight.

huebi
04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
The h-elements were designed for style.

Thats nonsense. Style is given by the stylesheet. Either the browser-stylehseet, the user stylesheet or at least the html associated stylesheet (either inline or separate). hx ist defintly markup, not style.

crutledge
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Thats nonsense. Style is given by the stylesheet. Either the browser-stylehseet, the user stylesheet or at least the html associated stylesheet (either inline or separate). hx ist defintly markup, not style.

The h-elements came long before css.

bobcdy
04-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Perhaps I don't really understand xhtml, but can anyone tell me why

<h3 id="head_3">Introduction</h3>

is not acceptable to Sigil 0.4 (or .3.4)? It is supposed to be not correctly formed and Sigil will automatically 'fix' it if desired.
Bob

theducks
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Perhaps I don't really understand xhtml, but can anyone tell me why

<h3 id="head_3">Introduction</h3>

is not acceptable to Sigil 0.4 (or .3.4)? It is supposed to be not correctly formed and Sigil will automatically 'fix' it if desired.
Bob

Do you have a duplicate id elsewhere in the SAME file?

bobcdy
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I found the source of my errors: there was another, different, poorly formed tag that seems to have confused Sigil. Once I found and fixed that tag, the problem with the h3 tag went away.

I finally more or less completed my next book using v. 0.4.0, and I must really praise Valloric for a job well done! My document had several mistakes that Sigil pointed out; I manually corrected them and voila!

There was a world of difference between using the old and frustrating v. 0.3.4 and the new improved 0.4.0. Thanks again to Valloric!

huebi
04-05-2011, 01:32 AM
The h-elements came long before css.
h-ELements are part of html. html = hypertext *markup* language. Thats markup, saying what it is, not how its look like. Thats exaktly the same nonsens as we had 20 years ago.

zafaran
04-05-2011, 04:19 AM
This is a general addition to the thread since I've not had any issue yet with Sigil-0.4.0β3-Windows-Setup.exe, and I'm running it on both my desktop at home (Dell Optiplex dual-core pentium with 2 gigs of memory), and my traveling system that I use all the time both at home on wi-fi from my secured router, and away on both wi-fi and a tethered Blackberry with a data package since we have limited wi-fi availability locally (Dell Inspiron 1012 Netbook with Windows 7 with an Atom processor and 1 gig memory). This beta is *much* happier with limited system resources than the earlier versions I was using though I've plans on maxing out the memory on both machines as soon as I have the spare funds.

I've been producing ebooks in one form or another for going on a decade, and the Sigil-0.4.0β3 beta is dealing *very* nicely with how I normally work with my book design once I've done a first pass with NoteTab Pro to clean the files and do a few global search-and-replaces that I can't accomplish in Sigil (or pretty much anything else for that matter). Most of the files I've worked with to stay in practice while I've been home sick have been constructed on just about any crappy HTML editor you can name from the last 15 years (the web is a great resource for bad code sources to practice on), and there is a very great tendency for most or all of the code to be structured with BR tags dumped in a single massive container made of a single P tag or DIV, sometimes with additions of tables just to make more of a mess in the code. NoteTab Pro allows me to replace the BR tags with a string made of Closing P tag, 2 CR/LF codes, and the Opening P tag of the next paragraph which allows me to cleanly set headings for the TOC, and have human-readable code so I can skim the file(s) for any problems that need correction before I run validation on the cleaned code and bring it into Sigil to make the epub.

The ability to open the TOC and OPF files just to double check that the items have picked up correctly so I can go back to the headings and files and make adjustments if I need to is something I've been waiting for since you first mentioned that it was coming in a future version. *Thank you!*

Pat in North Carolina

bobcdy
04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I've been working with v4.0 qt 4.7.2 and have finished a pretty complex book with index, endnotes, and a small cap font. All went exceptionally well except at the end when I tried to add the small cap font - all seemed ok in Sigil 4 and the font statement seemed correct and was properly placed in the content.opf, but ADE would not show the small cap font. I then downloaded/installed v3.4 so that both versions are available for use, opened the epub in 3.4, deleted the small cap font and added it again, and the font showed in ADE. Thus the identical font was accepted when installed with Sigil 3.4 but not with Sigil 4. I've repeated these experiments several times and included trying to install another just downloaded small cap font.

It seems that v4 has a problem with imported fonts. It isn't fatal because it's easy to use v3.4 in the final stage of completion, but is a bit odd. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Toxaris
04-06-2011, 05:14 AM
I've been working with v4.0 qt 4.7.2 and have finished a pretty complex book with index, endnotes, and a small cap font. All went exceptionally well except at the end when I tried to add the small cap font - all seemed ok in Sigil 4 and the font statement seemed correct and was properly placed in the content.opf, but ADE would not show the small cap font. I then downloaded/installed v3.4 so that both versions are available for use, opened the epub in 3.4, deleted the small cap font and added it again, and the font showed in ADE. Thus the identical font was accepted when installed with Sigil 3.4 but not with Sigil 4. I've repeated these experiments several times and included trying to install another just downloaded small cap font.

It seems that v4 has a problem with imported fonts. It isn't fatal because it's easy to use v3.4 in the final stage of completion, but is a bit odd. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Create an issue on the tracker. That's the only way Valloric can fix it.

bobcdy
04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I think I found the problem:

If I enter the following in my css for an epub using Sigil 3.4:

@font-face {font-family: "Gv Petite Caps.ttf";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/Gv Petite Caps.ttf);}

This epub shows the Petite Cap in Adobe DE

If I then open the file using Sigil 4.0 the css petite cap statement becomes upon opening:

@font-face {font-family: "Gv Petite Caps.ttf";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: ../Fonts/Gv Petite Caps.ttf);}

Upon saving with S4, the new epub does not show the Petite Cap in ADE.

One can correct the error using Sigil 4 and save, and the resulting epub shows the Petite Cap in ADE, but on reopening the file with Sigil 4, the error is again created.

Toxaris
04-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Again, please create an issue on the tracker. Add your analysis,that would help Valloric.

Valentino
04-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Wow, pretty much perfect now for my needs, thanks.

I will definately donate when I can, seriously good job.

If I liked QT, I would donate time, but I really, really don't like qt, or cmake for that matter.

But the beta release is excellent, thanks!

Valloric
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I think I found the problem ...

That has already been fixed and the fix will be in the next beta.

Jabby
04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
The "ask to fix as you go" feature, in beta3, may be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. I have lost data a couple of times due to a typo but I save often in v3.4 so it no longer causes me a large problem.

In v3.4 it does auto fixes to such things as removing the antonym of <span> if you had removed it. This is a huge time saver. I think it would be more helpful if the "auto fix/check" in beta3 only happened when you left the current file or went to book view. In which case it would only flag those things that Sigil could not resolve and ask you to fix them manually.

One unexpected "feature" has popped up that is real handy. I am running Windows 7 with the 32bit version of v3.4 and the 64bit version of beta3 on the same machine. This makes it easy to use both versions to work on the same file since the last opened file is the same for both versions. I guess there is a "history" file being kept somewhere - I just can't find it.

Kudos to Valloric for the great work. I looks like v4 will be as robust and as useful as v3.4.

Regards - John

Rand Brittain
04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I agree that I've always found the auto-fixing very helpful.

Valloric
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I guess there is a "history" file being kept somewhere - I just can't find it.

The history is stored in the Registry on Windows.

I agree that I've always found the auto-fixing very helpful.

Lots of people love it and lots of people hate it. Even the ones who love it hate it when the "fix" screws up.

The only way that I can please both sides is to make it optional with a dialog. And I should please both sides in this instance, since they're both right.

LGN
04-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Nowadays I start to wonder why people use the registry so much. Yes in case of things you like to share with other applications its nice but if the settings are only used by the app itself I rather see it stored in an ini in the application folder. This because that would make the application 'self contained' en even used from an USB stick and keeping all settings etc.
The bad thing of the registry is also that many applications leave their settings behind after uninstalled making the registry fill up over time with (now) useless data.
Please consider having all user settings put into the application folder only, for easy portability of Sigil and a clean (windows) environment. Thanks :)

crutledge
04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Nowadays I start to wonder why people use the registry so much. Yes in case of things you like to share with other applications its nice but if the settings are only used by the app itself I rather see it stored in an ini in the application folder. This because that would make the application 'self contained' en even used from an USB stick and keeping all settings etc.
The bad thing of the registry is also that many applications leave their settings behind after uninstalled making the registry fill up over time with (now) useless data.
Please consider having all user settings put into the application folder only, for easy portability of Sigil and a clean (windows) environment. Thanks :)

AMEN, BROTHER!!!:thanks:

Toxaris
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Hmm, the 0.3.4 version you could already run without problems from a USB stick. That makes me believe that it does not really use the registry. I think the installer does.

Jabby
04-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Many Windows programs keep their settings and stuff down in "appdata". Thats where Kindle keeps their library. Firefox keeps everything down there including such things as bookmarks. There are many good reasons to for this. Your settings and other data are safe during updates etc., and are easy to back up.

In short - I agree. Registry errors and mishandling have caused me a great deal of grief.

Regards - John

Valloric
04-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Sigil 0.4.0RC1 is now online. More details in the blog post. (http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/04/sigil-040rc1.html)

theducks
04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Cool
I will try and break it :D (again)

st_albert
04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Urk! Looks like the chapter splitting issue is back, at least for me. When splitting a file with multiple chapter break markers (works flawlessly in 0.3.4) the splits are not only in the wrong order, but some are missing completely.

No, they weren't missing, just hiding among the unsorted list.

also, dragging the chapters into correct order in the book browser seems to work, but after saving they are still in the wrong order.

I'm not sure whether this is the same as issue 828 or 830, so I entered it as a new issue, 863.

(Linux, Ubuntu 10.10, btw.)

Anyone else having this problem?

crutledge
04-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Urk! Looks like the chapter splitting issue is back, at least for me. When splitting a file with multiple chapter break markers (works flawlessly in 0.3.4) the splits are not only in the wrong order, but some are missing completely.

No, they weren't missing, just hiding among the unsorted list.

also, dragging the chapters into correct order in the book browser seems to work, but after saving they are still in the wrong order.

I'm not sure whether this is the same as issue 828 or 830, so I entered it as a new issue, 863.

(Linux, Ubuntu 10.10, btw.)

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm still haing the same problem. :blink::chinscratch:

Pablo
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I just downloaded and tried Sigil 0.4.0RC1. I loaded a very simple HTML file with CSS (attached) and saved as ePub. When I verify, I get 4 validation errors:

OEBPS/Text/4.html
N/A
This OPS document is reachable but not present in the OPF <spine>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/Text/4.html
N/A
This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/content.opf
The <language> element is missing.

OEBPS/content.opf
The <itemref> element is missing.

Number 3 I solved going to the metadata dialog and re-selecting "English".
For the rest I had to edit the opf manually.
Is this normal? This is the first time I use flightcrew.

theducks
04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Is this normal? This is the first time I use flightcrew.

Yes and No :D
Those are errors in your document :eek:
#3 is fixed (most times) simply by pressing F8, the click OK.
Sigil sets it to system default (you do need to set for languages OTHER than System Default) for you.

1 an 2 says there is a href with a call to a file 4.html somewhere(s) in your book.
add the file or remove the call :thumbsup:

#4 is something I have not seen (I don't hand edit my OPF), but it appears to be a malformed entry

Pablo
04-23-2011, 07:43 AM
1 an 2 says there is a href with a call to a file 4.html somewhere(s) in your book.
add the file or remove the call

First of all, thanks for your answer!!!

My original html file is called "4.html". When I open it with Sigil, I see "4.html" as the only text file (normal behaviour). I think it should have been included in the opf automatically.

When I save as ePub, close and reopen the ePub, "4.html" has dissapeared from the text folder. This is repetitive, so I think there's something wrong with 0.4.0RC1.

And there's no href anywhere in my document.

Regards,
Pablo

st_albert
04-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I am seeing similar FC errors with Sigil 0.4-RC1 when I create new files by splitting one large file into several chapters. In my case, all the files are physically present in the epub archive, but several are not listed in the manifest or spine sections of the content.opf file. That, and the order of files in the spine is munged up too.

That's what I think FC means when it says something to the effect that "such-and-such.xhtml is reachable but not listed in the <manifest>" etc.

So my guess is that for some reason RC1 is not properly updating the content.opf file.

Pablo
04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I am seeing similar FC errors with Sigil 0.4-RC1 when I create new files by splitting one large file into several chapters.

Yes, I also noted that.

LGN
04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm still a bit unsure why someone would want to hand-edit some of the files that normally would be generated. Are there some advantages to hand-editing? I just assumed these files just have to meet the criteria of the ePUB and nothing more so am wondering since the first Beta what one can do with them.

I admit I still haven't tried the Beta's or RC's because I'm making an ePUB but I still wonder where the advantage lies exactly.

Pablo
04-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm still a bit unsure why someone would want to hand-edit some of the files that normally would be generated.

Maybe to fix a non-Sigil generated broken ePub?

st_albert
04-23-2011, 03:06 PM
@LGN:
In my case, I'm adding lots of metadata to the content.opf from a file supplied by the publisher as a text file with the properly formatted metadata tags in it. It's far easier to edit content.opf and paste in the tags than to use the pre-0.4 metadata editor in Sigil.

Once the bugs in 0.4 are ironed out, I'll be able to do that within Sigil instead of having to save / unzip / edit / rezip. Should be quite a time saver.

But if you're not making epubs for sale, this may not be of any interest to you.

crutledge
04-23-2011, 03:52 PM
When I load an html file with <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /> in all the desired places and split the file, the bookname.html (which contains the cover) comes out as the last entry in the text part of BB. I can then move this the the head of the text entries. Any other sections out of sequence are also moved.

When I initially press Alt F3 the toc shows up in the correct order with cover as the first item. I press Generrate TOC and the old type display appears and everything is fine except cover is always last. Sigil refuses any attempt I have made to correct this.

The only solution I have found is the copy toc.ncx to my external editor, move the cover record to the first position and then use GREP to re-number the display sequence, and copy this back into the sigil toc.ncx. This works but is very un-elegant.

Combine this with having to edit the OPF for missing entries almost makes me miss BD. :rofl:

Have I missed something? I would very much like to have a :smack: experience. :D

st_albert
04-23-2011, 04:13 PM
When I load an html file with <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /> in all the desired places and split the file, the bookname.html (which contains the cover) comes out as the last entry in the text part of BB. I can then move this the the head of the text entries. Any other sections out of sequence are also moved.

When I initially press Alt F3 the toc shows up in the correct order with cover as the first item. I press Generrate TOC and the old type display appears and everything is fine except cover is always last. Sigil refuses any attempt I have made to correct this.

The only solution I have found is the copy toc.ncx to my external editor, move the cover record to the first position and then use GREP to re-number the display sequence, and copy this back into the sigil toc.ncx. This works but is very un-elegant.

Combine this with having to edit the OPF for missing entries almost makes me miss BD. :rofl:

Have I missed something? I would very much like to have a :smack: experience. :D

I think this is related to Issue 863 (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=863&sort=-id&colspec=ID%20Stars%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Mi lestone%20Reporter%20Summary%20Attachments) and Issue 865 (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=865&sort=-id&colspec=ID%20Stars%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Mi lestone%20Reporter%20Summary%20Attachments). When the file is initially loaded into Sigil 0.4RC1, the toc.ncx is built from the unsplit file. Everything should be in order. If you look at the toc.ncx, all the file refs point to the single .xhtml file. After the split, the toc.ncx remains unchanged until you hit the "generate toc" button. Then the toc.ncx is rebuilt, with the garbled chapter order due to the garbled file split order as discussed above.

As an aside, the toc.ncx will have (at least in my experience) references to all of the chapter headers, even though some of the files will not be included in the content.opf <manifest> and/or <spine> sections.

Hence the FC errors like "file is reachable, but not in the manifest" because the toc.ncx does refer to it even though the content.opf doesn't have it.

christinerose
04-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes and No :D
Those are errors in your document :eek:

1 an 2 says there is a href with a call to a file 4.html somewhere(s) in your book. add the file or remove the call :thumbsup:

I'm getting the same error message multiple times, for every file in my Book Browser. It says the file is not there, but I'm looking right at them in the Book Browser.

I don't understand.

When you say "add the file" -- where do I add the file? It's already part of my book in my book browser under the folder "Text."

I'm having the same issues with images. Says they're not present and not being used, but they are present and they are being used.

Mac OS X. Just downloaded Sigil last week, so latest version?

theducks
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
OK I think I saw this happen (after a split) also (1 time).
I saved and quit Sigil. Restarted Sigil and FC passed (at least that set of errors :D)
:chinscratch: It is as if FC does not see the 'current' NCX/OPF

st_albert
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
OK I think I saw this happen (after a split) also (1 time).
I saved and quit Sigil. Restarted Sigil and FC passed (at least that set of errors :D)
:chinscratch: It is as if FC does not see the 'current' NCX/OPF

After splitting a file, saving, quitting Sigil, restarting it doesn't help for me. The content.opf is incorrect. (missing some entries, others in wrong order.)

I still get the usual errors in FC.

Toxaris
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Perhaps a bit trivial, but have you hit the 'generate toc' button on the right-bottom after splitting? If you don't do that, files will bound not to be entered in the ncx or opf.

st_albert
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Perhaps a bit trivial, but have you hit the 'generate toc' button on the right-bottom after splitting? If you don't do that, files will bound not to be entered in the ncx or opf.

yes, I have. Doesn't help.

crutledge
04-25-2011, 05:56 PM
yes, I have. Doesn't help.

I find it necessary to edit the toc.ncx to put the cover at the top of the toc. This also requires the sequence numbers to be redone.

I also have to edit the opf to get all files into the manifest and spline and in the proper order; and the guide into the proper order.

Once you get used to what is screwed up (usually the same things) it becomes simple manual editing.

Much fun. :2thumbsup

I can imagine that this is not a simple fix for Valloric. :chinscratch: :angry:

Hopefully, he will have a :smack: moment.

EowynCarter
04-26-2011, 02:56 AM
I installed sigil beta on my netbook yesterday (Linux version). This morning i start to netbook to work on a book, and ouch !

First thing I notice, the text file have been re-ordered on alphabetical order. (Not so good).
Oh, whatever, i'll put these in the right order. So I drag and drop the file, sigil moves the file, but in the file list, i see a blank space. Saving the book, closing and re-opening shows everything correct.

I'll try to have a closer look at that when I'm back home.

Toxaris
04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
I must say that I don't have the issues with rearranging the files. It follows my ordering without problems. I almost never need to manually edit the ncx of opf. Perhaps you create an issue on the tracker with example for Valloric.

EowynCarter
04-26-2011, 04:03 AM
I didn't noticed that on my desktop either. Maybe it's some kubuntu related issue.

crutledge
04-26-2011, 06:30 AM
I must say that I don't have the issues with rearranging the files. It follows my ordering without problems. I almost never need to manually edit the ncx of opf. Perhaps you create an issue on the tracker with example for Valloric.

An issue (865) has been posted and Valloric has seen the effect.

It probably has somethind the do with <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />
being in the html file.

st_albert
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I didn't noticed that on my desktop either. Maybe it's some kubuntu relaed issue.

Yes, that particular "drag to reorder files" issue is related to KDE desktop environment.

EowynCarter
04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, that particular "drag to reorder files" issue is related to KDE desktop environment.
Ah damm! So, known issue. Any hopes for a fix ? Or should I go back to gnome or windows ?

I tried reproducing the "sort by alphabetical order" bug, and couldn't. Whatever happened. ** shrugs **

Jabby
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
I am running Windows 7 x64 bit. And ran into this problem pulling individual books from the "complete works of".

The html files were in order until I saved and re-opened at which time they were no longer in order. I dragged them back into order and the same thing happened. I went to v3.4 and reorded and it would stick until I opened the file in either OB3 or ORC1.

Here is a clue, although I don't know what it is. If I used v3.4 to reorder the files and then let Calibre convert epub-epub the problem went away. On the second round I pulled the chapters from the "complete works of" using v3.4, did the Calibre conversion and finished up by building the TOC with ORC1.

I don't think this is platform related.

Regards - John

st_albert
04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Ah damm! So, known issue. Any hopes for a fix ? Or should I go back to gnome or windows ?

I use ver 0.3.4 a lot on a Debian / KDE machine with no problems EXCEPT for that "drag to reorder" issue. If I really need to reorder (I rarely do), I either run it on Ubuntu (i.e. gnome, as you know), or edit the content.opf manually.

I doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon from the Sigil end. It seems to be a conflict with KDE's QT installation, something that Valloric can't control. Sigil comes with, and should use, all of the QT libraries it needs, yet there is still a conflict somewhere.

bobcdy
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Only very rarely have I encountered the 0.4 out-of-sequence ordering, and whenever it happens with my epubs, the numbering is consequtive so it's simple to reorder anyway. Other than that, I've had no difficulty at all with the new version.

0.4.0 is truly inspiring to work with after all my problems with .3.4; today I made a mistake and used < instead of > and also made several other errors - all were quickly caught by Sgil (with Tidy off, always!) with the option to manually fix. Sigil is now what I had hoped for over such a long time. Great work!

st_albert
06-02-2011, 04:11 PM

I tried reproducing the "sort by alphabetical order" bug, and couldn't. Whatever happened. ** shrugs **

For a workaround on KDE desktops, see this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133245) (Thanks, Ahmad Samir!!)

It might work for you even if you didn't build Sigil from source.

EowynCarter
06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Wooo, sigil managed to impress me today.

I have books in an epub and wanted to split them.
I finally splited the ePub then created a new with with sigil. Add existing element. Sigil adds all the html. Then "Right, now for css images and all".
Then, much to my surprise, sigil had already done the job for me :2thumbsup.

EowynCarter
06-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Think I found a bug.

When i imported all the html files, they arn't added to the opf file. Can anyone confirm ?

Toxaris
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Actually, it is not a bug... It will be added if you recreate the headings. If you don't want to, you have to manually add them to the opf.

Hitch
06-13-2011, 04:16 AM
Only very rarely have I encountered the 0.4 out-of-sequence ordering, and whenever it happens with my epubs, the numbering is consequtive so it's simple to reorder anyway. Other than that, I've had no difficulty at all with the new version.

0.4.0 is truly inspiring to work with after all my problems with .3.4; today I made a mistake and used < instead of > and also made several other errors - all were quickly caught by Sgil (with Tidy off, always!) with the option to manually fix. Sigil is now what I had hoped for over such a long time. Great work!

I've finally had two issues with the out-of-sequencing occuring in short order, and neither is reliably reproducible nor seems to provide any clues. One occurred in a short story--for no apparent reason (no drag-n-drop was used whatsoever), two chapters were simply moved completely out of sequence, not together, but separately. On a much longer file, when I was editing it (had originally been done in Sigil 0.3x), and I renamed the initial html file to a cover.xhmtl filename, it simply disappeared altogether. I mean, just WHAMMO, vapored, not at the time it was renamed, but later, and the ncx entry with it. The chapter/file reordering seems to be utterly unrelated to any attempts to a) add files, as I've had it happen when none were added or b) reordering files, as I've now had it happen when none were reordered, but that one was renamed. When I created a new cover page, and drag-and-dropped it to the top of the file, it did incorrectly order, AGAIN, and show up somewhere near the bottom of the list.

It's a real problem, and it's a shame, because I adore Sigil 0.4.x for so many other useful reasons. Of course, we don't use betas for production, but I have been trying it, and it's really not ready for primetime. V knows that no criticism is intended herein, but it's bloody buggy.

Hitch
PLEASE check out SHAKEN: STORIES FOR JAPAN (http://amzn.to/lsKlS2)--great stories, great authors, for a great cause--100% of the royalties go to the tsunami, earthquake and radiation victims in Japan, thank you!

EowynCarter
06-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Actually, it is not a bug... It will be added if you recreate the headings. If you don't want to, you have to manually add them to the opf.

How do I re-create the headings ?

Toxaris
06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
bottom right, the button labeled 'Generate TOC from headings'. Sorry, I meant TOC instead of headings...

Valloric
06-13-2011, 10:25 AM
It's a real problem, and it's a shame, because I adore Sigil 0.4.x for so many other useful reasons. Of course, we don't use betas for production, but I have been trying it, and it's really not ready for primetime. V knows that no criticism is intended herein, but it's bloody buggy.

Criticism should be intended, and I take all of it gladly. 0.4.0RC1 is bloody buggy.

st_albert
06-13-2011, 01:47 PM
bottom right, the button labeled 'Generate TOC from headings'. Sorry, I meant TOC instead of headings...

In my admittedly brief experience with 0.4.0RC1, regenerating the TOC does not necessarily rebuild the .opf file. In fact it seems to make the TOC correspond to the (existing, corrupt) .opf file.

This after splitting a single file with many <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /> markers in it.

Hitch
06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Criticism should be intended, and I take all of it gladly. 0.4.0RC1 is bloody buggy.

Thanks. I wish I could find something reproducible and helpful vis-a-vis the reordering issue for you.

Hitch
PLEASE Check out SHAKEN: STORIES FOR JAPAN (http://amzn.to/lsKlS2). An anthology of 20 stories by world-class authors; art for the heart's sake, 100% of all royalties going directly to the victims of the Tsunami, Earthquake and radiation in Japan.

st_albert
06-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I wish I could find something reproducible and helpful vis-a-vis the reordering issue for you.

I have uploaded a demo file that reproducibly demonstrates the problem (or at least one such problem). I should have attached it to issue 863 (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=863), but didn't know how. So I opened a new issue 904 (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=904). Maybe someone can merge them.