Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book - God's War

Nightshade Books is sponsoring the I09 BookClub this month, where they will be discussing God's War ($7.99 Kindle), by Kameron Hurley. You can get a free copy via email, until March 29, 2011, using the directions below, or get it at Kobo.

Book Description
Nyx had already been to hell. One prayer more or less wouldn't make any difference... On a ravaged, contaminated world, a centuries-old holy war rages, fought by a bloody mix of mercenaries, magicians, and conscripted soldiers. Though the origins of the war are shady and complex, there's one thing everybody agrees on-- There's not a chance in hell of ending it. Nyx is a former government assassin who makes a living cutting off heads for cash. But when a dubious deal between her government and an alien gene pirate goes bad, Nyx's ugly past makes her the top pick for a covert recovery. The head they want her to bring home could end the war--but at what price? The world is about to find out.

Click HERE to get the epub from Kobo.

To get the free book, send an email to io9GodsWarGiveAway@nightshadebooks.com. You will get a DRM-free EPUB back in your email (usually in one or two days; they are processing requests manually).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
shattler
shattler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-300
Thanks, this one looks pretty interesting. I picked up a copy from Kobo.
shattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
No longer free via Kobo or the promo offer, but now free @ B&N and still free @ Borders (any link I supply you will be useless, because it's one of those download via the desktop app books).

ETA: According to the NightShade newsletter, this will be B&N's Free Fridays book of the week, and available until April 14th.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-01-2011 at 03:52 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I bought the book from Amazon for my kindle after seeing the B&N free promo (I know I could have used Calibre, but I was lazy). I vouch for the quality of the book. I'm 50% of the way through it, and it already screwed up my sleeping schedule for 3 days because I couldn't put it down. Hard boiled characters, gritty and well-developed world, makes Arrakis look like Hawaii. Great unique characters too. Lots of tough women, and a lot of boxers and acid guns! I'm writing a full review on my blog in a bit if some of you still aren't convinced.

It gets pretty violent sometimes, but it's all tastefully done and very readable (so not too violent like Blood Meridian).
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Ahh I missed out on this! Serves me right for not checking the deals thread every day
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Cripes, I already finished it. It was that good.

It actually reminds me a lot of China Mieville's Perdido Street station with its approach to world building and plot/pacing, although replace steampunky fantasy London with dystopian sf Muslim desert planet.

You might like this if you like…
William Gibson, China Mieville’s Perdido Street Station, Sigourney Weaver in the Aliens franchise, Fallout with the bloody mess trait.

What to expect:
hardboiled dames and hardboiled prose
a lot of insects
acid guns and body parts
great characters and skillful world building
pacing/plot like Perdido Street Station. The author goes easy in the first third, then it launches into a thriller in the second, and the third is pretty good but plausibility gets strained. The ending is much better though. I'm still quite ticked at Perdido's ending

I've got the full on review if anyone's interested: http://fridafantastic.wordpress.com/...n-hurley-2011/
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote