View Full Version : Not all epubs working in Stanza

spaze
03-12-2011, 03:31 AM
I have been thinking about switching to Stanza and my iPod Touch utnil I get an ereader, but I have noticed some of the epubs are not working. First page might work but rest of them are blank. Same file on my Cybook Opus works flawlessly.

Any idea what the problem might be?

HarryT
03-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Stanza is not a terribly good ePub reader. Sounds as if that's the problem. Have you tried viewing those same ePub files in iBooks?

spaze
03-12-2011, 07:20 AM
I have not as I wasn't aware of iBooks application. Updating iTunes and iPod's firmware as I am typing this. Will let you know the outcome.

spaze
03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Yup, works now and is even better than Stanza. Thanks for the tip!

HarryT
03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
You're welcome :).

CHunter_Author
03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Stanza has been excellent for me. Even better than the iBook app. In the latest version the text slides instead of flips; and that was a major improvement. The experience is much smoother.

spaze
03-12-2011, 01:39 PM
To me there is no experience if the epub file doesn't work :D I'm glad it works for you and I'm glad I discovered iPod Touch as a temporary ereader as I am in the middle of Hitch HHiker's Guide To Galaxy and I have to return the ereader I currently have.

CallOfCth'reader
03-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Have you tried toggling the day/night settings? I've found, with a few epubs, that the pages are blank on the night setting. I got around it by using the day setting, but setting custom colours.

I also found some epubs had line-feeds between paragraphs, so I set the paragraph spacing low and increased the indent slightly.

CallOfCth'reader
03-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I just downloaded iBooks onto my iPod Touch. It finished downloading, and then the icon vanished! It's listed as being installed on the app store, and is listed in the settings. I can't even uninstall it now!

Update: I had to uninstall it from iTunes, and then reinstall it. It looks good, but not as flexible as Stanza, and the books seem to be the same price as Amazon (the few that I checked, at least).

HarryT
03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I certainly wouldn't buy books from the iBookstore, simply because their DRM can't be removed, so they're "locked" to an iDevice.

CallOfCth'reader
03-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, it occurred to me to find out about the DRM after browsing the iBook store, and it means that I won't be buying books from there either.

I was really impressed with the rendering of ePub's in the iBooks app, which is a lot better than in Stanza. The app seemed to cause my Touch's battery to drop faster than when using Stanza, though. A prefect amalgam would be the iBook rendering engine, with Stanza's low graphic-frills approach.