View Full Version : How Do I Know The Battery Is Charged?

NVash
03-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Ive had my Kindle for awhile now. Many times I had it on and off the computer as I added new files to it. I noticed that it also could charge off of the computer USB port but thought nothing of it since, as far as I knew, the battery was close to full. I took it and used it on and off for probably two months now. There was around 25% of the battery left so I decided to put it on the charger to be safe just in case I forgot about it. I noticed the little lightning bolt on the battery icon on the Kindle and took that to mean that it was charging. That was two nights ago. I picked up multiple times today, the lightning bolt is still there. How do I know when the battery is fully charged? The lightning bolt will go away right? How long does it take to fully charge the Kindle? Or did I somehow mess the battery up awhile ago when I kept adding and taking files off of it?

JeremyR
03-10-2011, 01:19 AM
The light should change from amber to green when it's fully charged

NVash
03-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks! I was almost worried my battery was broken but the light is green and has been for some time. Any idea why that lightning bolt wouldnt go away?

chamekke
03-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Any idea why that lightning bolt wouldnt go away?

I think the lightning bolt may simply indicate that it's drawing its energy from the computer (or mains, if you've plugged it into a recharger) and is therefore not depleting the battery.

NVash
03-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Thanks! I hope that is it otherwise I may have just overcharged the battery.

terencek
03-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't believe with virtually any of today's more sophisticated equipment, that you could overcharge it (other than perhaps leaving it plugged in for days at a time).

With almost anything that charges, once the peak charge is reached it will switch to a trickle (i.e. top-up) charge and stay that way almost indefinitely. But I am not an expert -- perhaps someone else here begs to differ.....

Daniel_09
03-10-2011, 03:02 PM
The battery icon is described in the Kindle User's Guide on Location 435

The lightning bolt means this:
You have your Kindle plugged into power and the battery is either charging or is fully charged. The charge indicator light on the bottom of your Kindle also turns from yellow to green when the battery is fully charged.

JMikeD
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks! I hope that is it otherwise I may have just overcharged the battery.

You can't overcharge it, unless some hardware is faulty.

Mike