Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
OBERON Leather Covers (teensy bit OT)

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but (since I was) I'm going to assume there may be at least one other person.

If you have been to the Oberon website (oberondesign dot com) you'll have seen that they have covers for 3 sizes of Kindle and 2 sizes of Nook and nothing for any other ereaders. I was very disappointed in this, having just managed to snag a PRS-650 on eBay.

I asked Marcy (Guru here on MR) about it, because she sold a lighted Sony PRS cover and her pic showed her new Oberon cover. She told me to call them, so I did.

They told me one needs to call if one wants something other than what is shown. And took an order for one made for a PRS-650. Happy dance going on over here. Their covers are beautiful - I have one for an organizer - and I am looking forward to this one arriving (also to the 650 arriving...).

I sent some karma Marcy's way, and this posting is my way of sending karma to Oberon.

Pardon for the slightly OT posting.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks for the tip!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Any chance they'd make them for the PRS-350? I love their covers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Ripplinger, I expect they would. They didn't quibble or make me beg or anything. Just asked what reader I had - then went away for a bit and came back with a price, which I thought was fair for a custom job. Call them - they have a couple of numbers posted at their site.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thanks, I'll do that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
rleguillow - so glad the folks at Oberon were able to do that for you. I love their covers and I find them to be the nicest folks. They really care about their customers. (No, I am not affliated with them) - I purchased an Oberon cover for my Kindle 2 and hubby is purchasing one for my K3 for my birthday present.

These pieces are beautiful but since you have an organizer made by them you know the quality of the workmanship. I hope you will post pics when your cover comes in as I would love to see your PRS-650 in the Oberon cover - I know it will be gorgeous.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Me too!
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
Ripplinger, I expect they would. They didn't quibble or make me beg or anything. Just asked what reader I had - then went away for a bit and came back with a price, which I thought was fair for a custom job. Call them - they have a couple of numbers posted at their site.

May I ask what that price was? (if you don't mind. If you do that's ok too. )
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
rleguillow
Always Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
About $82.
I had originally emailed them and then got too impatient and called. In their response to my email, they said they'd never made covers for a 650, but people had told them the 600 covers worked well. That is what Marcy had told me, too, hers was for a 600 and worked fine with her 650. And tho they have discontinued that line, they'd be happy to make one for me if I'd call.

Its a velcro attachment, I imagine that is why it works. I looked at a lot of their stuff online before calling, trying to figure a way to convert something - a journal cover, or an address book cover perhaps - and figured I'd use velcro to attach it. They don't post the finished open size, just the closed size. I would have to know the open size to have some idea if a conversion would work, or would be too big and sloppy, or would be just a tiny bit too small... but now I'm not worrying about that.

I'll post pics when I get both items - it may be a week or two.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
thanks for the info, I wanted a cover for my Sony 900 and was disappointed the didn't have any on their site.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I have the 600 cover for my 650 and the straps work just fine, I don't use the velcro.

You can see photos of some of the Oberon covers in the Sony forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=164

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=140

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45&postcount=1

And a few talented folks have converted the Oberon journal covers into ones for their 650s https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=1

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=178
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
rleguillow
Always Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I have the 600 cover for my 650 and the straps work just fine, I don't use the velcro.

You can see photos of some of the Oberon covers in the Sony forum

And a few talented folks have converted the Oberon journal covers into ones for their 650s
It CAN be done! I thought so! Somehow I missed that thread - good one! And I looked around on it for awhile - the Noreve covers seem really nice too. If I had not ordered the Oberon I'd probably go for one of them. More expensive, though...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
rleguillow
Always Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
thanks for the info, I wanted a cover for my Sony 900 and was disappointed the didn't have any on their site.
Tponzo, given the info about converting one of the Oberon journals for the Sony, you might want to look again and see if there is one that will work for you in a conversion. Or one of the Kindle or Nook covers that will work - consider taking off the straps, which might not fit your Sony, and putting velcro instead.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Same here, I ordered the PRS 600 Oberon cover with straps, and it fits my 650 perfectely. I didn't call them once, just arranged everything by email. It did take a bit longer to get my order placed, but transatlantic calls are too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I paid 75$ for my Oberon 600 cover ... + shipping costs of course.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #15
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Oberon cover for 600

For what it's worth, I've had my Oberon cover for the Sony 600 on my Sony 650 for about 1 1/2 months now. IMO, it doesn't fit the 650 well enough. It could be made to fit perfectly with a couple of minor changes. The lower left hand strap could be altered to fit the 650 by trimming the plastic backing about 1/2" width-wise, (narrower) and re-aligning it to 'mirror' the lower, right hand strap. Simple.
I keep threatening to do it myself. I think the length of the lower left strap is sufficient to reach, it just requires trimming the backing and re-riveting the strap in the correct alignment. The way it is now is slowly driving me bananas. I wish I'd known this beforehand so I could ask Oberon to do it right the first time.
The existing 600 cover is sooooo close to being right. It wouldn't take anymore time or materials to make a proper cover for the 650 from the 600 layout.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote