View Full Version : How to get Amazon to take paypal.

violent23
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I found this new site that takes Paypal and sells gift cards to Amazon, B&N, and Borders. It seems you get the gift cards code in an e-mail right away. So you can buy an Amazon gift card code with your Paypal account and then turn around and put your new code into Amazon and buy whatever you need. Looks like a good workaround to me.

The site is: http://instantgiftcards.net

queentess
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Has anyone used this place or had luck with it? I've never heard of it, not sure if it's legitimate or not.

HarryT
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to use PayPal rather than my usual credit card?

pietrocrazy
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to use PayPal rather than my usual credit card?

PayPal is a terrible company with terrible business practices. I don't know why I would go out of my way to use a PayPal account if I could much more easily use a credit or debit card.

spellbanisher
03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Is this for buying ebooks? Because I know that amazon doesn't let you use your checking account to buy ebooks or amazon gift cards. If paypal allowed you to do this then I could see this as a cool little service.

HarryT
03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
They don't terrify me; I simply see no reason to want to use them to buy from Amazon.

mattsholtz
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Has anyone used this place or had luck with it? I've never heard of it, not sure if it's legitimate or not.
I can vouch for the site, it is my site and it is legit.

In regards to HarryT and pietrocrazy some people do not have credit cards, but do have Paypal, and if you need to use your credit or debit card you can. Paypal gives you the option to just buy the product with you debit or credit card just like any other stores checkout system.

rogue_librarian
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Amazon can't check your billing address when you aren't using a creditcard. Can you envision a scenario where this might be an advantage?

wvcherrybomb
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Is this for buying ebooks? Because I know that amazon doesn't let you use your checking account to buy ebooks or amazon gift cards. If paypal allowed you to do this then I could see this as a cool little service.

I always use my checking account to buy my ebooks, or at least the debit card associated with it. Are there checking accounts around that don't have debit cards? I have never heard of that.

I've never had any problems with Paypal and I've been using them for nearly a decade but wouldn't bother where I can just use a debit or credit card.

Giggleton
03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
The more interesting question at least for me is, do paypal links in the back of a kindle book work through the Kindle webbrowser?

pietrocrazy
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM

In regards to HarryT and pietrocrazy some people do not have credit cards, but do have Paypal, and if you need to use your credit or debit card you can. Paypal gives you the option to just buy the product with you debit or credit card just like any other stores checkout system.

I know some people don't have a credit card, but there's no reason to not have a debit card. If you get an account with a real bank or credit unions, you get all the protections of a real bank and a real debit card. PayPal essentially acts like a bank that is not subject to bank regulations, so you get none of the same legal protections.

Catlady
03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I know some people don't have a credit card, but there's no reason to not have a debit card. If you get an account with a real bank or credit unions, you get all the protections of a real bank and a real debit card. PayPal essentially acts like a bank that is not subject to bank regulations, so you get none of the same legal protections.

I use PayPal for transactions with online companies I'm not familiar with, so I don't have to give out my credit card number.

I do not have a debit card. I specifically turned down the option from my bank. I can easily imagine myself repeatedly being overdrawn because I'd forget to keep a tally of purchases.

rogue_librarian
03-03-2011, 07:16 PM
I know some people don't have a credit card, but there's no reason to not have a debit card.

Probably not, but Amazon wouldn't be able to make sense of my European one.

PayPal essentially acts like a bank that is not subject to bank regulations, so you get none of the same legal protections.

Actually, it's got a banking license in the EU. Unlike most American banks it's happy to deal with foreigners, too. If you're an American doing business with other Americans you probably don't need it, I'll grant you that.

captkjaneway
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Some countries do not have debit cards either (Hong Kong being one) so sometimes PayPal is a godsend to be honest.

pietrocrazy
03-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Probably not, but Amazon wouldn't be able to make sense of my European one.

Actually, it's got a banking license in the EU. Unlike most American banks it's happy to deal with foreigners, too. If you're an American doing business with other Americans you probably don't need it, I'll grant you that.

Ok, you make a good point, I relent.

wyndslash
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
ooh, this is interesting. i can't get a credit card yet as i have no ITR (not working full-time yet), but i have a paypal account. still, it's being resold for $5 more hmm...(well yeah, it is a business after all)

elemenoP
03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
But some sites require you to have a credit card on file even if you have a gift card that covers the whole transaction. Amazon doesn't have this requirement?

eP

mattsholtz
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
But some sites require you to have a credit card on file even if you have a gift card that covers the whole transaction. Amazon doesn't have this requirement?

eP
No, Amazon does not have this requirement. So if you lived in Australia and wanted to buy an American eBook only available on the US Amazon store you would be able to by purchasing a gift card from my site, and then go shopping on the US store. No credit card on file needed.

elemenoP
03-04-2011, 10:21 AM
oh, then that's a pretty smart little business you got going on there!

eP

Andrew H.
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
You're a risk taker who likes life on the edge?
:)

snipenekkid
03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
as someone who runs in excess of $100k through Paypal annually and never had a single issue since day one, I chuckle at all this "the sky is falling" tinfoil-hat misinformation about Paypal. They have rules you need to follow, same as any other financial institution.

But all one needs to do is read a any message board online to understand what the folks at Paypal as well as Amazon or any other online vendor have to deal with in terms of nut-bars.

I earn an uncapped 1.5% cash for back for all my purchases using my PP credit/debit card which pretty much zero's out the cost of accepting payments via PP, in fact I add funds purposely to get the extra cash back every month. It's higher interest than a bank these days. For me PP is far better and cheaper than a merchant account and the hundreds of dollars it can cost every month just to have the account not including the discount fees.

Additionally using Paypal is far safer for the buyer than a credit card in terms of protecting your card numbers, checking account number or whatever. Of course these days some banks and credit card companies will generate single user CC numbers for you to use for online transactions. That might be the best of all options. Of course PP did screw that option up big time. It's not like they walk on water, the do screw up like any other company, even banks.

Blossom
03-06-2011, 01:05 AM
My Paypal debit card expired last month and I like several others are getting a run around on getting it renewed and sent out. After being with PayPal since 1999 for first time I no longer have my card which means I no longer have a credit card to use at Amazon or Kobo. Paypal has decided it could care less rather I get my card or not. :angry:

I have been using PayPal for years and never had one problem till now. This sites looks really good. Right now I have purchased a Prepaid Debit Card and using that instead with my Kindle.

I still use PayPal for other sites but other then Fictionwise and B.O.B no other ebook store takes them that I know of so this Gift Card site is a nice find. :thanks:

mattsholtz
03-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks Blossom. I am thinking of adding Itunes and Sony cards, for an even bigger selection of eBook stores to choose from.

HarryT
03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
In the UK, PayPal operates under the auspices of the Financial Services Authority, and is subject to the same rules as any other bank, meaning that your money (up to 35,000) is protected.

SpiderMatt
03-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I gave you some karma, Matt. The site is of no use to me since I live in the states and have no issues buying straight from Amazon with my credit card; however, I think the site is clever and very useful for the right crowd. Given how often I see people from other parts of the world on these forums asking for ways to buy U.S. Kindle books (many people seem to get U.S. credit cards simply for this purpose), I think your $5 markup may be worth the convenience you bring to people wanting to buy foreign ebooks.

I do have a couple recommendations, though. Can you add gift cards greater than $25? I understand you probably want to make money off those $5 charges, but people who are looking to buy several U.S. ebooks might be discouraged if they can only purchase a single $25 gift card at a time. If they buy two ebooks at, say, $15 and $10, then they've paid a $2.50 markup per book, which is more than the $2 Amazon charges people overseas to buy via the Kindle's 3G. However, if people can buy $50 gift cards, they they get more for their extra $5, and it will probably keep your customers happier.

Another thing: Have you considered adding other Amazon sites like Amazon.co.uk? I know there are ebooks that are not available to people in the U.S., so you would probably have a larger pool of potential customers if you added non-U.S. sites.

mattsholtz
03-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I gave you some karma, Matt. The site is of no use to me since I live in the states and have no issues buying straight from Amazon with my credit card; however, I think the site is clever and very useful for the right crowd. Given how often I see people from other parts of the world on these forums asking for ways to buy U.S. Kindle books (many people seem to get U.S. credit cards simply for this purpose), I think your $5 markup may be worth the convenience you bring to people wanting to buy foreign ebooks.

I do have a couple recommendations, though. Can you add gift cards greater than $25? I understand you probably want to make money off those $5 charges, but people who are looking to buy several U.S. ebooks might be discouraged if they can only purchase a single $25 gift card at a time. If they buy two ebooks at, say, $15 and $10, then they've paid a $2.50 markup per book, which is more than the $2 Amazon charges people overseas to buy via the Kindle's 3G. However, if people can buy $50 gift cards, they they get more for their extra $5, and it will probably keep your customers happier.

Another thing: Have you considered adding other Amazon sites like Amazon.co.uk? I know there are ebooks that are not available to people in the U.S., so you would probably have a larger pool of potential customers if you added non-U.S. sites.

These are all ideas I have thought about and want to implement in the future. $10 and $50 dollar cards should be coming sooner rather than later, and as for EU cards I just need to find a good supplier with good shipping rates. The site is still very young and there is a lot of room to grow, my next step at the moment is to add Itunes gift cards.

Thank you for your thoughts SpiderMatt, and tell all your friends about the site!

JeremyR
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM

A lot of online business is done with PayPal. The whole ebay thing, for instance. And personally, I do some writing for a website and I get paid via PayPal.

But when you mostly buy stuff from Amazon, that is a problem. While I have a credit card, I have no way of converting my money in PayPal to pay off my credit card when I use it.

So my money pretty much sits there in my paypal account, even though there's stuff I would like to buy at Amazon. Because while there are a number of merchants that take paypal, most of their prices are worse than Amazon...

That said, I'm not paying a 20% mark up like from this site. I can understand a reasonable increase, but...$5 for a $25 card?

rogue_librarian
03-07-2011, 01:35 AM
So my money pretty much sits there in my paypal account, even though there's stuff I would like to buy at Amazon.

Ah, transfer it to your bank account? It's what I do, at any rate.

That said, I'm not paying a 20% mark up like from this site. I can understand a reasonable increase, but...$5 for a $25 card?

I agree, seems a little steep. I understand the need to make some money, but for a 100$ card things would look differently.

Blossom
03-07-2011, 01:42 AM
It's not a problem if you have a PayPal debit card which works like any other Mastercard. The problem is PayPal has gotten lazy on reissuing them out. I had my Debit Card the whole time I had my account till this month. I'm still trying to get it replaced but not having much luck. :(

I don't have a problem paying an extra $5 for a gift card. Locally here in TN if I bought one I have to pay a $4.95 activation fee so it's works the same for me.

rogue_librarian
03-07-2011, 02:28 AM
It's not a problem if you have a PayPal debit card which works like any other Mastercard. The problem is PayPal has gotten lazy on reissuing them out.

Oh, and that PayPal never offered them outside of the US in the first place.

spaze
03-07-2011, 05:18 AM

I second this. I for one don't have a credit card and two, don't want to have one either. Credit cards are curse in this world and makes you purchase things you really cannot afford.

I have an ebook I sell for photographers, from which I get money saved up into my Paypal account. Then with this Paypal money I can do purchases at eBay or other sort of places.

Paypal also has a wonderful protection program. If you file a complain about a purchase you made but never received it, they will withold that amount from seller's paypal account until the problem is resolved. If the seller just ignores your fied case, you will get your money back to your paypal account.

I would like to hear those terrible busines practices I read someone mentioned here. I have never ever experienced any negative things about using Paypal.

For this reason, I disappointed Amazon doesn't have Paypal, but it is understandable that for every sell they make they would have to pay certain amount to Paypal is Paypal was used.

Blossom
03-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Amazon doesn't take PayPal because they are competitors. Ebay vs Amazon Market Place and Amazon has a similar payment service which anyone can send and receive money then convert to Amazon gift cards or put in your bank account. I've never used it but they will probably never accept PayPal because of this.

I use PayPal for shopping, subscriptions, buying ebooks, pay for my hosting services and of course ebay. :)

Taxidermista
08-18-2011, 01:08 PM
These are all ideas I have thought about and want to implement in the future. $10 and $50 dollar cards should be coming sooner rather than later, and as for EU cards I just need to find a good supplier with good shipping rates. The site is still very young and there is a lot of room to grow, my next step at the moment is to add Itunes gift cards.

Thank you for your thoughts SpiderMatt, and tell all your friends about the site!

Where did your site go?

applepie
08-19-2011, 02:56 AM
I know that amazon doesn't let you use your checking account to buy ebooks or amazon gift cards. .

Did you mean debit card? Because I always pay with my debit card (checking acct) at amazon.

Hellmark
08-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Did you mean debit card? Because I always pay with my debit card (checking acct) at amazon.

As surprising as it may be, not everyone uses debit cards. Some people still write checks.

Sweetpea
08-19-2011, 05:29 AM
As surprising as it may be, not everyone uses debit cards. Some people still write checks.

Checks... I think I saw my last one somewhere around 1998... Could be '97...

Weird country, that USA...

tclarkegibbs
08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Forgive me I read most but not all of the previous posts. I understand why some people would like to use paypal. People who sell on ebay and accept paypal for products or services they may sell through paypal are well served to be able to use those funds to buy other online items. I use my paypal like another bank account.

What some might not realize is that you can actually get a debit card that uses your paypal funds. I did this a while back and it is awesome and even pays you back a small percentage when you use the card. So for me it's been a great way to access my funds from my paypal account and I can use it anywhere that mc/visa is accepted because it's a debit card.

Hope this helps someone.

spear
08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Checks... I think I saw my last one somewhere around 1998... Could be '97...

Weird country, that USA...

Believe it or not my primary physician (in Brunswick, GA not rural on coast) will only accept cash or check....no debit or credit.....on the other hand, he still makes house visits.

applepie
08-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Believe it or not my primary physician (in Brunswick, GA not rural on coast) will only accept cash or check....no debit or credit.....on the other hand, he still makes house visits.

Hmmm... debit card = cash. :chinscratch:

BenG
08-19-2011, 11:06 PM

For you maybe, but the payee will have to pay Visa a processing fee if you use their cards.

Hellmark
08-20-2011, 12:15 AM

Debit is NOT the same as cash, no more than a check is cash. Use of a debit card is just stream lining the check writing process via credit card mechanisms. Stores who accept debit cards have to buy equipment, pay service fees on every transaction, etc. Also, like with checks, debit transactions can be challenged, to where there are instances to which the merchant may end up being out of the cost of the product as well as the money they would have received. When my family had our store, we had that happen a few times. The one time we no longer had the $2600 item, never got the payment, and still had to pay the 3% transaction fee or what ever. If it was a cash sale, we'd still have profited since we would have had the cash in hand.

sadievan
08-20-2011, 12:27 PM

I received an Amazon gift card for my birthday and was able to buy ebooks with it.

Carol

pendragginp
08-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Where did your site go?

Yes, the site seems to be gone.

So, as Joey on Friends would say, it seems to be a moo point. ("Like a cow's opinion. It doesn't mean anything. It's moo.")

DJHARKAVY
08-20-2011, 11:57 PM

That's funny... One of my doctors just decided that he has had too many checks bounce, and now will take cash or card, but not check...

afa
08-21-2011, 04:56 AM
My doctor only accepts sexual favors as payment...

GoSharks
08-21-2011, 12:01 PM
My doctor only accepts sexual favors as payment...

But what if they "bounce"? :eek:

ucfgrad93
08-21-2011, 12:36 PM
But what if they "bounce"? :eek:

Even better!:thumbsup: