Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Lowkey
Lowkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g+wifi
Can you share kindle books like this?

On a non ebook forum someone has suggested that you can share kindle books as follows:

1. go to manage your kindle add senders email addy to your ok list
2. sender then connects their kindle to their computer by USB
3. sender clicks on the disk image and opens the 'documents' file on the kindle
4. sedner copies and pastes the azw files for the books they want to share as attaches them to the email to sendee.
5. sender sends email to sendees freekindle.com account and when sendees kindle has a wifi connection and they sync and check for new items the books will be on sendees kindle.

.....I have a mac and when I accessed the documents file the books did not display as AZW files.

Does this work?

How would it work on a mac?

Thanks.
Lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Okay - there's really two different issues here.

1. Can you email books to a Kindle if you are on the "approved sender" list.

The answer is yes. You can do it from the Kindle (absent of DRM issues), but all of my books are stored in Calibre on my Hard Drive. Calibre has as a Send By Email function which I use frequently.

2. Can you mail a book from Kindle B to Kindle A and let Kindle A read it?

HOWEVER - if you purchased the books on your Kindle at Amazon.com and have done nothing to remove the DRM, then when Person B mails the document to Person A's Kindle it won't open. DRM restricts an ebook to the Document that it is coded to work. Most books at Amazon.com are sold with DRM. There are some books sold from other places which don't have DRM.

The books are stored on the Kindle in the Documents folder. I'm guessing that your Mac just isn't showing file extensions.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Lowkey
Lowkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g+wifi
ok...so I'm trying to ssend a book to my mum.

I bought the book on Amazon via my Kindle
I have Calibre, my mum does too.
My email address is on my mum's registered address list

...so can i send her the book or is it drm protected?

If i can how (in words of on syllable too!)...

TIA & apols for being a tech dunce
Lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
If it's an Amazon-bought book, it's very likely DRM.

The way to send it to your mom's Kindle without stripping the DRM is to have her temporarily deregister her Kindle, then you register her Kindle's serial # to your Amazon account.

Then from your Manage Your Kindle page, either use the "Transfer via Computer" option for the book and pick your mom's Kindle as what the file will be encoded for and download and email it to her, or maybe use the easier option of just plain "Send to [Mom's Kindle]" via Whispernet.

Then after that you can unregister her Kindle from your account and she can re-register it to hers.

Hope this helps and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It has been implied by the existing posts, but to make it explicit: the majority of Amazon ebooks have DRM and in particular each ebook file is encrypted for a single account and a single device. This is why e-mailing, even from Calibre, won't work (unless you have added a 3rd party DRM-stripping plugin to Calibre).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert