View Full Version : Who wants to read a book, as experiment.

athlonkmf
07-23-2007, 04:56 PM
OK. I've made some fan-translated book that was floating around online into a LRF-file.
This is a famous chinese story of the wuxia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia)-genre.

I wonder if someone who has never read, or even heard about this genre could read, understand and maybe even enjoy this kind of translations.

It's a completely new experience for western people I'd think

Are there any out of you who are willing to give it a try? If so, please give me a PM.

(the story isn't fully translated, so it's incomplete. It's missing the final 4 chapters, and I don't really feel I should distribute it widely, as it's collaboration of dozens of individual fans, so I didn't actually have full permission to put them all together. But I made it for myself actually. And I just wondered if someone who's never came in touch with it would enjoy it.)

JSWolf
07-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Without being complete, there's no way I'd enjoy it. But if I get close to the end of a book and was to find it was missing the last 4 chapters, I would be mighty pissed for having wasted my reading time.

athlonkmf
07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Well, since it's part of a trilogy and actually consist of many adventures there won't be much missing. Besides, the final chapters could be read online. I just feel I shouldn't give out the complete book if it's not even my work ;)

And part of the experiment is... will people be able to read through the first few chapters with the weird chinese names and without background knowledge of the theories of martial arts or knowledge of chinese history & culture?

JSWolf
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Ah! Now I understand better. I have no idea if I'd be able to get through such a book. But as it is, I have too many book partially read waiting to be finished.

Azayzel
07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Sounds pretty cool! Actually, there is a book out there in this genre called The Prince of Qin. I picked it up a little while back, it was a little tough not having too much background in the Chinese mythos, but a good read nonetheless (not to mention Chinese cinema, not the goopy meledrama gack, but the cool actual-based kung fu fighting genres, is one of my favorite past times).

dreamingreader
07-24-2007, 03:11 AM
I'd be willing to give it a try! I've never heard of this genre and I know very, very little about Chinese mythos so I'm pretty much a blank slate for this.

nekokami
07-24-2007, 01:50 PM
I could give it a try -- my two daughters are adopted from China (and weren't babies, either) so we watch a fair amount of Chinese TV at home and I'm somewhat familiar with the culture. So I don't know if I'd make a good test case or not.

(Also, I don't have a Reader, I have an iLiad, so I'd rather have HTML or RTF or whatever you started with. So I don't know if I'd be much help to your experiment.)

athlonkmf
07-24-2007, 05:54 PM
OK. i've sent the PM to 3 members. Hope they enjoy it.
Wouldn't mind if there are more guinea pigs though ;)

I could give it a try -- my two daughters are adopted from China (and weren't babies, either) so we watch a fair amount of Chinese TV at home and I'm somewhat familiar with the culture. So I don't know if I'd make a good test case or not.

(Also, I don't have a Reader, I have an iLiad, so I'd rather have HTML or RTF or whatever you started with. So I don't know if I'd be much help to your experiment.)

Hmm... i have it word at this moment... will have to see if I should make it into html or not...

JSWolf
07-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Moved so more people can see it and maybe help out.

Hadrien
07-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Sounds great ! That's also part of what online litterature will be in the future: people translating books in all kind of languages !

mogui
08-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Here in China, my wife likes the wuxia genre. There is a TV series based on this genre. It is very colorful and exciting. I would like to read your ebook. Thanks!

BTW, I would assume that fan-translated works that are published to the internet are intended to be copied unless otherwise stated.