View Full Version : Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS

Pages : [1] 2

bhartman36
02-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

7" touchscreen (no multitiouch)
700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Mini USB and USB host capability
~ 6 or 7 hours battery life (depending on how I use it so far)
Speaker & Microphone
Micro-SD card slot (32GB max)
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer. :)

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet.

NCitsme
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Any chance you would take the time to give us a step by step... so even a novice like me could do the upgrade... Thanks

bhartman36
02-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Any chance you would take the time to give us a step by step... so even a novice like me could do the upgrade... Thanks

Sure. It's not too tough at this point. :)

1) Download the custom ROM here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size +DownloadCount). I'd stay away from the alpha ROM. It works, but getting it on your device takes a few extra steps. The ROM you probably want is this one (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z&can=1&q=).

2) Uncompress the file and rename it update.img

3) Go into Settings -> USB Mode. Make sure Host Mode is unchecked.

4) At that point, your computer should recognize it as a drive.

5) Copy that file to the root directory of the device.

6) Unplug the device from the USB cable. At this point, it should start the update process.

7) Once it's done and rebooted, go into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

8) Press Menu > Filter > All

9) Clear Cache for - Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

10) Reboot Device

At that point, you should have a working tablet running Android 2.1, with access to the Android Market.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

adept777
02-28-2011, 09:19 AM

1) Download the custom ROM here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size +DownloadCount). I'd stay away from the alpha ROM. It works, but getting it on your device takes a few extra steps. The ROM you probably want is this one (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z&can=1&q=).

6) Unplug the device from the USB cable. At this point, it should start the update process.

7) Once it's done and rebooted, go into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

9) Clear Cache for - Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

10) Reboot Device

At that point, you should have a working tablet running Android 2.1, with access to the Android Market.

hey guy.. I have successfully enabled market but now any download I try comes back saying unsuccessful.. please help. I have cleared all the cache like said. Thanks!

bhartman36
02-28-2011, 10:12 AM
hey guy.. I have successfully enabled market but now any download I try comes back saying unsuccessful.. please help. I have cleared all the cache like said. Thanks!

Okay, try this:

Don't just clear the cache. Also clear the data for all of those. And in addition:

Gmail Storage
Google Apps
Google Backup Transport
Google Search
Google Settings Provider
Google Talk Storage
Market Update
Package Installer

That will probably do it. Remember to reboot afterwards before trying to go into the Market again.

Hope that helps! :)

aplouffe
02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Rooting successful. Thanks for posting the steps!

bhartman36
02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Rooting successful. Thanks for posting the steps!

Glad I could help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, or if you have trouble w/ accessing the Android Market.

adept777
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Okay, try this:

Don't just clear the cache. Also clear the data for all of those. And in addition:

Gmail Storage
Google Apps
Google Backup Transport
Google Search
Google Settings Provider
Google Talk Storage
Market Update
Package Installer

That will probably do it. Remember to reboot afterwards before trying to go into the Market again.

Hope that helps! :)

Worked!! awesome tks!!! now for the big question : what are the possibilities of installing a linux based os?? Ubuntu? Thanks!!

XTL
02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
I installed the update exactly like you said to above and cleared cache and data for all of the listed apps and I still can't successfully download a single thing from the app store. Any idea what might be keeping me from downloading?

bhartman36
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I installed the update exactly like you said to above and cleared cache and data for all of the listed apps and I still can't successfully download a single thing from the app store. Any idea what might be keeping me from downloading?

Did you reboot after you did that? I would go through it again and reboot, just to be safe.

kennyc
03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Very interesting. Thank you!

bhartman36
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Very interesting. Thank you!

No problem. :) It's an interesting little gadget. :)

craigapad
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I did exactly as in the steps, but at 6 th step, my craig device is not recognizing the file after disconnecting it from usb, I tried to click on the .img, the device is asking me to open with what type of app? like contacts, applications etc.
How would l execute this .img file? many thanks

craigapad
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I did exactly as in the steps, but at 6 th step, my craig device is not recognizing the file after disconnecting it from usb, I tried to click on the .img, the device is asking me to open with what type of app? like contacts, applications etc.

bhartman36
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Sorry. I left out a step. You should rename the file to update.img. Then it should work. :)

valarie
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM
it works fine but when i try to download kobo reader it says my android is not listed what do i have to do please the android market works

bhartman36
03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
it works fine but when i try to download kobo reader it says my android is not listed what do i have to do please the android market works

It says your android is not listed? I'm a little confused by that. Could you let me know what the exact message was, word for word? I'd be happy to research it, if I can't recognize a solution right away.

craigapad
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
hi, I managed to install successfully, thank you very much.
I followed all the steps and cleaared the cache as well as cleared the data for the google related as given in the thread, but it says download is unsuccessful when I use the app market.

any idea?
I appreciate your support.

bhartman36
03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
hi, I managed to install successfully, thank you very much.
I followed all the steps and cleaared the cache as well as cleared the data for the google related as given in the thread, but it says download is unsuccessful when I use the app market.

any idea?
I appreciate your support.

What usually works is to remove the data and cache for all Google-related items: Calendar, Gmail, Maps, Talk, etc., and all storage associated with them. As a last resort, you can go through and clear the cache and data from all the apps on the tablet. That will almost certainly work.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

craigapad
03-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats a magic, it worked, many thanks........... good luck...

bhartman36
03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Thats a magic, it worked, many thanks........... good luck...

Great! Glad it worked for you. :)

Gardnq1
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
where is the root directory? I got an invalid firmware message?

br8nd4on
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Ok, I will try to help you. I at first was getting invalid firmware image as well. What I did at first was just download http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z&can=1&q= this and rename it to update.img and transferred it to the disk drive of the craig 7" tablet. Well, you don't actually do that. What you do is download the file from here http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z&can=1&q= and use 7zip to extract the file to an .img extension. Then, you rename the .img extension to update.img

Once you do that then transfer the file to the tablet, and unplug the USB drive then it will update correctly. If you need anymore help I'll try to help.

Gardnq1
03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
it never reboots after i unplug.

bhartman36
03-04-2011, 02:42 AM
where is the root directory? I got an invalid firmware message?

The root directory is the top directory that your computer sees when you plug in the tablet. In the latest stable build, it's called "ROCK-CHIIPS".

You have to uncompress the 7z file and then rename it to update.img before you unplug the USB cable.

kennyc
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Any idea where I might find one of these on-line or locally?

GeoffC
03-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice to see some newbies in this thread - do stay, browse and join in the fun :2thumbsup

bhartman36
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Any idea where I might find one of these on-line or locally?

I bought mine at CVS. I'm not sure where else you can buy them, but you can check this thread at Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=1246903&t=2706809) to see where others have bought theirs.

The circular referred to in the Slickdeals.net thread says that the $99 price at CVS ends March 5th, so you'd better get moving, if you plan on getting one.

Just in the past couple of days, I've been having trouble calibrating the touchscreen on the unit. (I'm helping test custom firmware, so I have to go through the calibration screen a lot.) I'm not sure if it's a hardware or firmware problem, though.

NCitsme
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
bhartman36 - what do you think about todays updates 4.2 / update.img / Froyo Wopad firmware ??? Thanks for all your help...

bhartman36
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
NCitsme: I think the work that's been done on the firmware (primarily by Shad on SlateDroid) is remarkable. This takes the tablet a lot farther than I would've thought it could go. Today's update to 4.2 brings Titanium Backup (free version) and because the system now uses aufs (IIRC) instead of cramfs, you can use ADB to go in and make system modifications if you want. Really very slick.

The Foryo Wopad firmware is not meant to be loaded on this tablet. I uploaded it there for Shad to look at and play with, because it's got Froyo in it, and I thought that maybe he could use that to put Froyo in the custom firmware.

NCitsme
03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
bhartman36
Thanks again...

bhartman36
03-04-2011, 11:23 AM
No problem, NCitsme. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

kennyc
03-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I think I'm probably out of luck...just not available in my area, but I'd love to play with one.

Oh well.

irep146jesus
03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I clicked the link above to download the file, i asw you had many. which do i download?

GeoffC
03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
irep146jesus :hatsoff: and welcome to Mobileread ....

unisprise
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
First I love Theresa people working so hard oj this obscure device. I installed The img. File. That. Was. Available +autocomplete us driving Me crazy+ but had no market app. Can. I sideload. Of from somewhere?

irep146jesus
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok i did everything like you said. went on android market, but i keep getting download unsuccessful

roc
03-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Anyone else having issues with wifi connecting/staying connected? The Craig I just got today has been almost impossible in this regard on either of 2 AP's in my house unlike dozens of other devices I have used with them.

Update:
Swapped for another unit, but same issue. Then I decided to try connecting to my WEP-encrypted Access Point instead of the 2 WPA2-encrypted AP's, and it has not had any trouble so far - just another reason not do anything "serious" on this Android, but use it for casual muliltmedia and news/weather type "consumption" (using a secondary Gmail account that is not used for anything else).

TIA
RO

bhartman36
03-04-2011, 10:57 PM
The current release, 4.2, is here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z&can=2&q=).

If you're having trouble with the market, use the aCCleaner included on the new firmware to wipe all the app data, then reboot.

You can sideload any apk file you can find. You just need to load it on an SD card or in the root of the device. Use the APK installer to browse to the file and install it.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Glad people are having a look at the project. :)

balloon
03-07-2011, 12:45 AM
After I unplug USB cable, nothing happened. Is it automatically updated? Please help me. Thanks.

zicco
03-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Nice tutorial

bhartman36
03-07-2011, 01:50 AM
After I unplug USB cable, nothing happened. Is it automatically updated? Please help me. Thanks.

Hi, balloon.

If it does not update after you have unplugged the USB cable, check to make sure you have renamed the file update.img. (It won't update if it doesn't have that name.)

bhartman36
03-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Anyone else having issues with wifi connecting/staying connected? The Craig I just got today has been almost impossible in this regard on either of 2 AP's in my house unlike dozens of other devices I have used with them.

Update:
Swapped for another unit, but same issue. Then I decided to try connecting to my WEP-encrypted Access Point instead of the 2 WPA2-encrypted AP's, and it has not had any trouble so far - just another reason not do anything "serious" on this Android, but use it for casual muliltmedia and news/weather type "consumption" (using a secondary Gmail account that is not used for anything else).

TIA
RO

Hi, roc.

I have WPA2 enabled with no problems. I have heard of some people having a problem with certain routers. Your mileage will vary. You might get some ideas from the SlateDroid thread (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/15577-craig-7-tablet-cmp-738a/page__st__240), though. (I've linked to the end of the thread so you can ask your question there, but feel free to peruse the thread, of course.)

Shad from SlateDroid has apparently made some serious progress investigating some tablet firmware that runs Froyo for modification for the Craig tablet. If it ends up working, it could bring a lot of things with it (including Flash). Right now, the biggest limitation is the screen, which doesn't support multitouch.

balloon
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Hi, balloon.

If it does not update after you have unplugged the USB cable, check to make sure you have renamed the file update.img. (It won't update if it doesn't have that name.)

I changed the name as you recommend, but it did not work. However, I found out that when I copied the file "update.img" to craig, it showed "update.img.img" in craig, so I go rename the file to "update" and then it works perfectly.

I am new to Android, I tried to download the application at market, but it's unsuccessful.

Thanks.

bhartman36
03-08-2011, 12:15 AM
I am new to Android, do you have any recommend with application I should install.

Thanks.

Well, seeing as how this is an e-book forum, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest you install the Nook software and the Kindle software. :)

Aside from those, I really like the Skyfire browser (which allows you to view some Flash sites), as well as Facebook and Wallet (an application that keeps your usernames, passwords, atm numbers, etc). I also use Twitter, plus QuickNotes, an application that lets you draw on the screen so you can write down a quick note w/o typing. I think Adobe Reader's a good one, and if you're familiar with Palm Graffiti, you can install that, too (although that's $3, while the rest I've mentioned so far are free). Pandora's good for music, of course. :) And I'd also install RealPlayer. If you don't mind spending $15, you can also buy the full Docs to Go, so you can edit your Word and Excel documents.

There's actually a lot of good stuff available for cheap if you check out the market.

balloon
03-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Well, seeing as how this is an e-book forum, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest you install the Nook software and the Kindle software. :)

Aside from those, I really like the Skyfire browser (which allows you to view some Flash sites), as well as Facebook and Wallet (an application that keeps your usernames, passwords, atm numbers, etc). I also use Twitter, plus QuickNotes, an application that lets you draw on the screen so you can write down a quick note w/o typing. I think Adobe Reader's a good one, and if you're familiar with Palm Graffiti, you can install that, too (although that's $3, while the rest I've mentioned so far are free). Pandora's good for music, of course. :) And I'd also install RealPlayer. If you don't mind spending $15, you can also buy the full Docs to Go, so you can edit your Word and Excel documents.

There's actually a lot of good stuff available for cheap if you check out the market.

Thanks for you info. I tried to download the link that you recommend, but it's unsuccessful to download application. So I decided to install "update release 4.2", now I have problem on market, it shows the message "A server error has occurred. Retry or cancel and return to the previous screen". When I click retry, it still shows the same message. I have no idea, what to do.

Thanks.

bhartman36
03-08-2011, 02:31 AM
@balloon:

Look on your device for an icon that looks like a grid of blocks. Click that icon, and it will show you a list of all the programs you have. Launch aCCleaner, and clear the cache and data from all applications. Then reboot, and try to go into the Market again (once you have established your Wifi connection). It should work then. The important thing to remember the first time you try the Market is that your cache and data files need to be clear, and your Wifi needs to be on.

Let me know how you make out. :)

bhartman36
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know: The project has succeeded in getting Froyo on the Craig now. :)

roc
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi, roc.

I have WPA2 enabled with no problems. I have heard of some people having a problem with certain routers. Your mileage will vary. You might get some ideas from the SlateDroid thread (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/15577-craig-7-tablet-cmp-738a/page__st__240), though. (I've linked to the end of the thread so you can ask your question there, but feel free to peruse the thread, of course.)

Shad from SlateDroid has apparently made some serious progress investigating some tablet firmware that runs Froyo for modification for the Craig tablet. If it ends up working, it could bring a lot of things with it (including Flash). Right now, the biggest limitation is the screen, which doesn't support multitouch.

Thanks for the update and other info. I installed Shad's 2.1 update (4.2), and it rocks - rooted and market access, so off to the races. I will keep an eye on that FroYo package since it almost seems ready for prime time. Multi-touch is no big deal to someone like me who is used to Palm and WinCe resistive screens, and actually find capacitive very annoying - let me be precise with a stylus or fingernail, thank you very much ;-)

Re the wifi, one of the WPA AP's is a TrendMicro Router/AP that is running off wired connection to the WEP Netgear Router/AP (upstairs/downstairs for better coverage) off my cable modem. The other WPA is a Westell DSL router/AP that I use for backup (working from home, so backup is essential). I could throw a spare Belkin AP/Bridge that can do WPA into the mix to see how that fares.

The difference in stability is amazing (and appalling) since I have a number of other wifi devices including an Archos 5 and various notebooks with Linux and Windows that have not shown any such encryption sensitivity, although I have not tested all the combinations to any great extent since the DSL/Westell is a recent addition and is what prompted me to move to WPA for future usage - lucky I kept the Netgear on WEP for older devices I mess with sometimes. The Archos does stay on the Westell/WPA/DSL connection most of the time, and I have gone through trying out a number of Android tablets lately with no such issue: Huawei S7, Archos 70, Cruz Reader, Pandigital Novel, so it is not an Android issue.

I think as long as I just use the Craig mostly for ereading, music, weather, and news, (with my "throwaway" gmail account) it is not too big a deal - we are in s low-density neighborhood on big lots, so not a lot of threat of cracking the WEP AP since most of the neighbors already have their own ISP connections (one has been running completely open for several years now ;-) ). I have been thinking though about running it through a Linux or BSD firewall to monitor it better ...

bhartman36
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I think as long as I just use the Craig mostly for ereading, music, weather, and news, (with my "throwaway" gmail account) it is not too big a deal - we are in s low-density neighborhood on big lots, so not a lot of threat of cracking the WEP AP since most of the neighbors already have their own ISP connections (one has been running completely open for several years now ;-) ). I have been thinking though about running it through a Linux or BSD firewall to monitor it better ...

That sounds like a reasonable usage scenario, for now. I have the Froyo build on my tablet, and while I'm amazed at the progress, it's still a beta. (There are lock-ups when I'm trying to get out of the lock screen sometimes, for instance.)

Funny you should mention the Palm angle. :) I come from the Palm world, too, so the multitouch is only mildly bothersome when I'm browsing. I've got Graffiti installed on it, and I'm taking notes and keeping PDA-style info on it (where it would be a little more cumbersome for me to do so on my phone, which is also Android now).

balloon
03-08-2011, 11:10 PM
@balloon:

Look on your device for an icon that looks like a grid of blocks. Click that icon, and it will show you a list of all the programs you have. Launch aCCleaner, and clear the cache and data from all applications. Then reboot, and try to go into the Market again (once you have established your Wifi connection). It should work then. The important thing to remember the first time you try the Market is that your cache and data files need to be clear, and your Wifi needs to be on.

Let me know how you make out. :)

Thanks. It works now. I download many applications included your recommendation.

However, I saw your post about "froyo". What is "froyo"? Is it android 2.2? If yes, how to install it? I searched and found that android 2.2 has Thai fonts.

For Android 2.1 If I need to install Thai fonts, I have to root the droid. Do you know how to do it on craig? I found only root droid on phone, but not on craig. Thanks.

NCitsme
03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
"""Just wanted to let everyone know: The project has succeeded in getting Froyo on the Craig now.""" - Thats quite amazing on this little thing... Thanks for all the help bhartman36...

Think I'll wait till Froyo is a little beyond beta. But I've got the 4.2 build working great (I did need to name the file upgrade, not upgrade.img) and everything is working... Thanks Again

PS: Balloon Froyo is the latest greatest android update... (the first build that was made for tablets, not just a larger phone screen).

roc
03-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Funny you should mention the Palm angle. :) I come from the Palm world, too, so the multitouch is only mildly bothersome when I'm browsing. I've got Graffiti installed on it, and I'm taking notes and keeping PDA-style info on it (where it would be a little more cumbersome for me to do so on my phone, which is also Android now).

So how is that Android Graffiti on the Craig, and how does it compare to the v1/v2 of the original Palms? Does it convert the input to text? I would like to get that functionality back again on a "modern" handheld gizmo.

soondai
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
PS: Balloon Froyo is the latest greatest android update... (the first build that was made for tablets, not just a larger phone screen).

actually, I think Froyo is Android 2.2

The latest, greatest version that was made for tablets is 3.0 (Honeycomb)

Cheeky1
03-08-2011, 11:52 PM
I can't tell you how intrigued I've been by both this thread and a similar one on Slatedriod. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this tablet, I work at CVS and with my discount and extra bucks, I can get it for about $60 :)

I'm definitely worried about it being worth the time and money but after reading these threads I think it'll be fun to take on the challenge. I planned on doing it last week but this got put on the back burner due to some Microsoft Windows 7 issues I had to work out. I am bummed about not being able to play angry birds though. I have a 5 year old who loves to play on my phone but he's been sneaking calls to people in my phone book because he likes to see the "android guy" so I really wanted something he could use as well. No such luck on the angry birds yet huh?

Either way, thanks for all the info here and I'm excited to see if I can get this thing tweaked:)

GeoffC
03-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Hello to all the Newbies in this thread ....

:hatsoff:

Welcome to Mobileread .... Do stay and join in the fun ....

bhartman36
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
So how is that Android Graffiti on the Craig, and how does it compare to the v1/v2 of the original Palms? Does it convert the input to text? I would like to get that functionality back again on a "modern" handheld gizmo.

Graffiti on the Craig works well. It's obviously not as efficient as touch-typing (or even, say, typing the way it would be on the iPad, which I understand people get fairly good at) but it's, IMO, better than the stock Android keyboard on the Craig.

Android doesn't have 2.0 Graffiti. The Graffiti that Access had (licensed, I think) was Graffiti 1. For me, that's just as well, because I never really got used to Graffiti 2. (The two-stroke character was unnatural to me.)

I've tried other keyboards for the Craig, and I could never really get the kind of accuracy I could get with Graffiti (especially with word completion). Remember, though: The Craig has a USB host port, which means that if you wanted to, you could always plug a real keyboard into it.

I've actually uninstalled the latest (Froyo) build of the firmware and gone back to v. 4.2. The work on Froyo's been impressive, but I don't think it's there yet, in terms of stability.

This screen doesn't have multitouch, so you have to temper your expectations in terms of how much like stock Android it's ever going to be, and I wouldn't expect the processor to handle Honeycomb very well, but for what it is, you get a lot. It browses the Web pretty well, you can use it to take notes, it's a nice (albeit large) PDA, and I've gotten it to play videos that I transcoded from my Tivo (although one video got out of sync with the audio about 1/2 way through, for some reason). Also, I haven't tried it, but you can apparently use it to view and interact w/ your desktop remotely via VNC. With the Froyo build (once that's stable) you should be able to go on Google Docs and edit your documents, as well.

All in all, it's a nice little gadget for the money. Not a bad alternative, if you don't want to throw down $350 for a 1st gen iPad or $250 for a Nook Color.

irep146jesus
03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
everything works great.! Thanks! any way it can be rooted to the newest android version. I am a newb to android

bhartman36
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
everything works great.! Thanks! any way it can be rooted to the newest android version. I am a newb to android

The latest version of Android (Honeycomb) is for high-end tablets (1GHz and over, form what I understand), so it wouldn't be a good fit for this tablet. Plus, I think it incorporates multitouch gestures, which this tablet's screen doesn't support. The Froyo support isn't 100% there yet (I had to uninstall that build and go with the 4.2 firmware because it kept locking up), but once that's stable, I wouldn't be shocked if the firmware could be updated to Gingerbread. Just keep in mind that the hardware is the real limitation. You get diminishing returns the higher up you go in terms of Android versions, because the hardware doesn't support some features.

Think about a 486 and what benefit you might get from running Windows 7 on it.

irep146jesus
03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
The latest version of Android (Honeycomb) is for high-end tablets (1GHz and over, form what I understand), so it wouldn't be a good fit for this tablet. Plus, I think it incorporates multitouch gestures, which this tablet's screen doesn't support. The Froyo support isn't 100% there yet (I had to uninstall that build and go with the 4.2 firmware because it kept locking up), but once that's stable, I wouldn't be shocked if the firmware could be updated to Gingerbread. Just keep in mind that the hardware is the real limitation. You get diminishing returns the higher up you go in terms of Android versions, because the hardware doesn't support some features.

Think about a 486 and what benefit you might get from running Windows 7 on it.

Ohh ok gotcha. Thanks alot.

tipstir
03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
So none of you see this on your panel?

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197394_10150111955472949_579882948_6594662_8303939 _n.jpg

kennyc
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
See what?

bhartman36
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
So none of you see this on your panel?

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197394_10150111955472949_579882948_6594662_8303939 _n.jpg

I see the shadow of something there up on the top right of the display, under "CRAIG". Is that what you're talking about? I assumed that was some sort of photographic artifact.

I don't really see anything unusual, other than that.

SandraMort
03-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Based on this thread, as well as a couple of others elsewhere, I grabbed one, too. The thing's charging and hopefully, late tonight while dh codes, I'll be able to work on rooting it. Then... the fun begins!

OH, and I don't see anything in the picture either.

-Sandra

Cheeky1
03-09-2011, 09:46 PM
So I picked one up today. After a 25% off coupon and some CVS extra bucks, I managed to snatch one up for about $70 which makes me:) I'm all set up and ready to start....

And...I don't see anything in the picture either.

balloon
03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I would like to root android on craig. If anybody knows how to do it, please let me know step-by-step. Thanks.

bhartman36
03-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I would like to root android on craig. If anybody knows how to do it, please let me know step-by-step. Thanks.

If what you want to do is root it, you can use this (http://www.shortfuse.org/). IIRC, I used Androot, but Google's patched the hole that allowed that to work.

To put new firmware on it, see earlier in the thread for the different firmware builds here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list). Some of them involve flashing your Craig with rkutils, and some of them you just have to put the img file in the root directory of the device and change the name to update.img.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

cubman
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I have had the Craig a week and love it.I think you all are pro's.I see nothing as well in tipsters picture.Thanks again for what you all do for the newbies like me.

bhartman36
03-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I have had the Craig a week and love it.I think you all are pro's.I see nothing as well in tipsters picture.Thanks again for what you all do for the newbies like me.

Glad you like the Craig. :) Shad deserves all the credit, because he did the really hard work of putting together the firmware. :)

balloon
03-09-2011, 11:31 PM
If what you want to do is root it, you can use this (http://www.shortfuse.org/). IIRC, I used Androot, but Google's patched the hole that allowed that to work.

To put new firmware on it, see earlier in the thread for the different firmware builds here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list). Some of them involve flashing your Craig with rkutils, and some of them you just have to put the img file in the root directory of the device and change the name to update.img.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Now I start confused what I have to do. All I did to my craig is to download custom ROM 4.2. What should I do next if I want to root android? Please let me know step-by-step because I'm new on android and try to learn more.

I tried to "Go Root" on Universal Androot V1.6.2 beta5, I got the message " you device is already rooted! Root again?" Should I go "Root me please" or "No"?

What should I do next?

Thanks.

Cheeky1
03-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Bummer. I'm starting to get frustrated. I've been at this for a few hours and I keep getting "invalid firmware." I just can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.:help:

Timoleon
03-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Just picked up this little puppy at CVS about two hours ago after I read this thread. Charging now. Can't wait to start playing with it! :2thumbsup

Is rooting the Craig worth doing? Other than having access to the Android marketplace, what other advantages would I get?

tipstir
03-10-2011, 02:14 AM
I see the shadow of something there up on the top right of the display, under "CRAIG". Is that what you're talking about? I assumed that was some sort of photographic artifact.

I don't really see anything unusual, other than that.

Panel is not assembled correctly causes text to drop off to the left side of the panel. You can clearly see the layer is not the same color. I've spoken to a couple on many sites that found the same issue. I guess none of you have seen lines around the edge of your panel.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189484_10150110222397949_579882948_6574447_805925_ n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188272_10150110214562949_579882948_6574270_6143538 _n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190026_10150110218207949_579882948_6574379_4510646 _n.jpg

My review on it here.. (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2413-cmp738a-review-completed) But if this is your first tablet and you don't have the two tone issue with the panel then your should be okay with the tablet. I did test it out it was quick. Based on the Next3 RK2818 Dual Core 300MHz (600MHz) with DSP 550MHz CM3 Benchmark of 1,550 to 1,600. Next3 from Nextbook I got the same readings. You can't play 3D games like Angry Birds with this tablet. If your not into games then it's okay. I had only paid $79 bucks for it at CVS. This was my 16th Tablet so far. I still feel the Coby Kyros MID7015-4G is better if you can get that at a good price. Walgreen's Carries this one also.

bhartman36
03-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Now I start confused what I have to do. All I did to my craig is to download custom ROM 4.2. What should I do next if I want to root android? Please let me know step-by-step because I'm new on android and try to learn more.

I tried to "Go Root" on Universal Androot V1.6.2 beta5, I got the message " you device is already rooted! Root again?" Should I go "Root me please" or "No"?

What should I do next?

Thanks.

1) For the 4.2 ROM, all you should need to do is to copy it to the root directory of your Craig via USB and unplug the USB cable. At that point, it should start updating.

2) If for some reason that doesn't work, you can flash it with the firmware instead. These are the instructions for doing that:

Recovery Instructions:

1. Turn Power Off
2. Press and hold Power + Home Buttons and plug usb cable in
3. Run RKAndroidBatchUpgrade
4. Select original update image from first post

RKAndroidBatchUpgrade can be found in the rkutils.zip file where you found the images here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list).

Let me know how that works out for you. I'll give you any additional help you need.

bhartman36
03-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Panel is not assembled correctly causes text to drop off to the left side of the panel. You can clearly see the layer is not the same color. I've spoken to a couple on many sites that found the same issue. I guess none of you have seen lines around the edge of your panel.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189484_10150110222397949_579882948_6574447_805925_ n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188272_10150110214562949_579882948_6574270_6143538 _n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190026_10150110218207949_579882948_6574379_4510646 _n.jpg

My review on it here.. (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2413-cmp738a-review-completed) But if this is your first tablet and you don't have the two tone issue with the panel then your should be okay with the tablet. I did test it out it was quick. Based on the Next3 RK2818 Dual Core 300MHz (600MHz) with DSP 550MHz CM3 Benchmark of 1,550 to 1,600. Next3 from Nextbook I got the same readings. You can't play 3D games like Angry Birds with this tablet. If your not into games then it's okay. I had only paid $79 bucks for it at CVS. This was my 16th Tablet so far. I still feel the Coby Kyros MID7015-4G is better if you can get that at a good price. Walgreen's Carries this one also.

Dual core 300MHZ? That does make a little bit of sense to me, because it jibes with what I saw when I ran "cat /proc/cpuinfo", but I'm a little confused, b/c the box says 700Mhz. (But what's 100Mhz between friends? ;))

morean51
03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Speaker & Microphone
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer. :)

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet.

that's cool device you got it man i was looking to buy it

SandraMort
03-10-2011, 09:31 AM
We got it rooted yesterday and I'm setting it up. So far, everything seems to be going smoothly! Kindle & Nook installed nicely and seem to work. Audible installed but isn't working. My SO thinks I need to reset my devices to get it to work, rather than being the Craig's fault.

Interestingly, I have a friend who is a manager at CVS. He said he's sold 5 units and 4 were returned. So I guess not many people know about fixing it. Spreading the word!

bhartman36
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Interestingly, I have a friend who is a manager at CVS. He said he's sold 5 units and 4 were returned. So I guess not many people know about fixing it. Spreading the word!

Of the returns, my guess would be that half of them are because they don't realize they can put the Android Market on there (which, to be honest, is most of the reason you'd want to root it), and half of them are for hardware issues. Quality control on these things isn't the best. I'm on my second one of these right now. My first one wouldn't power all the way up.

bhartman36
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
that's cool device you got it man i was looking to buy it

I can definitely recommend it, as long as you go into it realizing you're not buying an iPad-level device, and as long as you buy it locally, in case you have to exchange the unit for another one.

irep146jesus
03-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I love this forum!! Not many "support groups" for this little tablet which sucks. Im constantly on here seeing what is being talked about next for this craig tablet lol. Thankkkkksss!!!

bhartman36
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I love this forum!! Not many "support groups" for this little tablet which sucks. Im constantly on here seeing what is being talked about next for this craig tablet lol. Thankkkkksss!!!

You're quite welcome. :) You should also check out these (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/15577-craig-7-tablet-cmp-738a/page__gopid__138453#entry138453) threads (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/14973-craig-7-touch-screen-tablet-at-zellers-in-canada/page__st__200) on SlateDroid for the latest. :)

Timoleon
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm enjoying this little tablet! I've installed 4.2 and am encountering almost no problems. The only issue I have is that the Kindle for Android book reading screen seems to only lock in a horizontal position --- I can't get it to stay in a vertical position for when I'm reading in bed laying on my side. I'm going to install Cool Reader tonight and play with that. I'm surprised at how responsive this thing is, for what it is! :2thumbsup

tipstir
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes it is quick!

bhartman36
03-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Glad to hear there are so many people here liking it. :)

cubman
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Well mine is dead after a week.I have not done anything yet with it as far as changing a thing.It was stock out of the box.I called craig and they told me to return it.They have to a lot of problems with 2 techs said.I will just pony up more money for a lot better device and company.Thanks again all.

bhartman36
03-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Well mine is dead after a week.I have not done anything yet with it as far as changing a thing.It was stock out of the box.I called craig and they told me to return it.They have to a lot of problems with 2 techs said.I will just pony up more money for a lot better device and company.Thanks again all.

Sorry it didn't work out, Cubman. My first one didn't, either, but the CVS I got it from is right across the street, so it was easy to do an exchange.

bhartman36
03-11-2011, 07:06 PM
To sum up my experience with this tablet (so far):

You'll be happy with this tablet as long as:

1) You bear in mind that it's $100, and it's not an iPad.
2) You buy it somewhere that it will be easy to return to if you need to exchange it for another one.

I get a lot of good use out of mine. :)

tipstir
03-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I had returned mine, but after thinking about it, tonight I had taken the wife out for dinner in another state. But upscale area they had a CVS but it sure didn't look like your typical CVS store. Anway I had walked in nice young girl had greeted me while she was hovering. First the tiny CVS branch is tiny, but anyway and had double back and asked do you have any of those tablets are sale still? She had looked at me odd. I know buy saying that tablets in drug store always get the wrong product. When I had mentioned the Craig Tablet she had still looked confused! I had to throw in a hint or two you know like an iPad type of PC tablet. Then she said OH yeah! She only one the one in the drug store on the counter next to those Sylvania netbook. But I just wanted to know the price on the Craig Tablet. It was $99, wow! Same price!

I had told her to ring it up! I also had my CVS Gift Card I had got when I had return the prior Craig Tablet. Since CVS doesn't give you back money when you use the 20% to 25% off coupon. I had printed that one off the internet, but for some strange reason it didn't go through. But the prior CVS store manager had overide it and gave me 20% off last week deal. Still I got more than $22 back to use on anything I and wanted at CVS. So I had use it on this new Craig tablet. $77 plus tax still better deal than last week saved $3 bucks.

Got it running now no issues wireless up and running.. I'll keep it as there isn't anything out there for $77 bucks with Android OS 2.1, 4GB NAND and 600MHz dual core 300MHz with 550MHz DSP CPU and CM3 Benchmark of 1,600.

I got to check out ROM and maybe I can make what I make for the Flytouch 1, Maylong and PanImage for HoneyComb or Google Prototype ROM.

Tablet #17 and the reason why I got another one it works the prior the panel distorted around the edges.

bhartman36
03-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Tablet #17 and the reason why I got another one it works the prior the panel distorted around the edges.

Glad you gave it another try. Let me know how it works for you. :)

tipstir
03-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Still take 4 hrs to charge...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189628_10150116035757949_579882948_6628573_4685005 _n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197012_10150116035892949_579882948_6628574_2888497 _n.jpg

Launcher Pro shown above. Craft store sells for $3 buck a nice white stand you can adjust position you want to angle the tablet.

tipstir
03-12-2011, 01:53 AM
I see the same issue that I had with the prior. Funny a different state and different CVS upscale drug store and it still has the same issue. I bet all of them this way and most buyers are unaware of this issue with the panel.

Craig
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197518_10150116047097949_579882948_6628607_255538_ n.jpg

Coby
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189807_10150116053567949_579882948_6628651_7525932 _n.jpg

Maylong
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183571_10150116053637949_579882948_6628652_4437640 _n.jpg

drc66
03-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Has anybody had success getting flash 10.1 to run on their Craig? I rooted mine and I have access to the market. I installed flash but the browser doesn't see it. Anybody have any ideas for me?

bhartman36
03-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Maybe I just got lucky, but I've never seen that issue with the screen, tipstir. :blink:

4 hours charging is typical, according to the manual.

One thing I discovered that I'm pretty happy with is that it works with Google Docs. It's obviosuly a little bit of a pain in the neck to peck at the Android keyboard in Docs, but I don't think it'd be so bad with Graffiti or with a USB keyboard. Makes it more useful, IMO.

A friend of mine almost bought one today. She was going to use it as a cheaper alternative to a Nook Color. The problem was that she wanted it for magazines, and the Nook software doesn't support magazines. You can only view them in the Nook Color. So if people are looking at this and thinking that they can buy one instead of an NC, that will work for books, but not for magazines.

tipstir
03-12-2011, 04:41 AM
So yo don't seen any fine lines around the panel.

Power Package (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t484-tipstir-s-power-extreme-collection-package-61-11-13-10)

The CM3.apk is in that package above. If you install and run it just to see if you don't get that effect. If you do then you have the same panel issue when the screen goes into a terminal mode.

Download QuickOffice it's free would allow you to read PDF Mags on the tablet.

Well I am not in the terminal mode but my music videos play very well. MovieFone Movie Trailers Play full screen. Smooth.

bhartman36
03-12-2011, 09:53 AM
So yo don't seen any fine lines around the panel.

Power Package (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t484-tipstir-s-power-extreme-collection-package-61-11-13-10)

The CM3.apk is in that package above. If you install and run it just to see if you don't get that effect. If you do then you have the same panel issue when the screen goes into a terminal mode.

Download QuickOffice it's free would allow you to read PDF Mags on the tablet.

Well I am not in the terminal mode but my music videos play very well. MovieFone Movie Trailers Play full screen. Smooth.

I don't see any fine lines around the panel, but when I launched CM3, the left side of the text was cut off by a millimeter or two. Very strange, because I haven't noticed that in any other apps...

roc
03-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't see any fine lines around the panel, but when I launched CM3, the left side of the text was cut off by a millimeter or two. Very strange, because I haven't noticed that in any other apps...

I have noticed that text cutoff on the left edge of mine, too (landscape with "Craig" logo on top). Looks either like a classic video adjustment issue (hsync on LCD possible?), or imprecise placement of the LCD panel within the bezel, which I suspect is more likely considering the price point. Simple fix: rotate 180 degrees for apps where it matters like a terminal session ;)

But then the placement of the top layer on the screen (protector? anti-glare? digitizer?) might be more noticeable as there is a gap of about that same 1mm or so on that side. Hmm... maybe that is also imprecise screen placement issue - everything shifted that way? Oh well, for <$100 we may have to overlook the "edge cases" ;)

tipstir
03-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks roc, good observation and technical report of your findings! But they all suffer from this and thus I believe Craig Electronics must be aware of this issue and so does CVS Corp. CVS should drop the price even lower otherwise some people might feel they got bum deal. Besides that defect the tablet runs very well for a $77 tablet plays all my music videos very sharp looking using Meridian Player and the sound is very loud.

Those tablet that were sold under Flytouch 1, Maylong and Panimage aren't perfect either, back-light bleed issues, dirt/dust on the panel showing up as dead pixels. Simple fix is to remove the top layer and clean it.

Still for the money I have to agree with you the tablet offers you a lot from CVS Drug Store. And some extra perks you have it rooted and Official Market on it. :)

bhartman36
03-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Shad is taking suggestions for what should be included in the next firmware release. I'm taking suggestions to pass on to him. Let me know what you think. :)

roc
03-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks roc, good observation and technical report of your findings! But they all suffer from this and thus I believe Craig Electronics must be aware of this issue and so does CVS Corp.
. . .
Still for the money I have to agree with you the tablet offers you a lot from CVS Drug Store. And some extra perks you have it rooted and Official Market on it. :)

I do have to revise my observations a bit - had a chance today to look at it closely in full sunlight. The edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around, so that in itself does not seem to indicate a general shifted placement of the screen. But a shift still seems likely to be the case if that layer was put on after that point. I don't know how else that obvious left edge text cutoff would be explained on a number of different units bought from widely scattered CVS stores (mine was purchased in Durham, NC) aside from a manufacturing defect that positions them that way (plastic molding process just a bit off?). We need to look at some other app displays where we can see that kind of detail - would need some obvious differentiated parts of that edge of the app's display, and see if they "appear" as the tablet is rotated to move that edge view around to other sides of the screen.

I made one attempt last week to open my unit by taking out the 2 tiny screws on the end where all the connections are, but it got kind of hung up as I started trying to separate the front bezel going along the bottom edge opposite the CRAIG logo, and I was afraid that I would start breaking off the internal plastic snap tabs that likely hold it together. I think I will take another look in bright light with my reading glasses on to see if I get any better view of what is holding it together at that point - would like to see the screen "bare" along with my original idea to see if anything with the wifi antenna is causing the issues I am having with frequent loss of connectivity in my house even when the tablet is stationary on a stand.

tipstir
03-13-2011, 01:42 AM
I can't tell you how intrigued I've been by both this thread and a similar one on Slatedriod. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this tablet, I work at CVS and with my discount and extra bucks, I can get it for about $60 :)

I'm definitely worried about it being worth the time and money but after reading these threads I think it'll be fun to take on the challenge. I planned on doing it last week but this got put on the back burner due to some Microsoft Windows 7 issues I had to work out. I am bummed about not being able to play angry birds though. I have a 5 year old who loves to play on my phone but he's been sneaking calls to people in my phone book because he likes to see the "android guy" so I really wanted something he could use as well. No such luck on the angry birds yet huh?

Either way, thanks for all the info here and I'm excited to see if I can get this thing tweaked:)

How many can you buy at $60? :2thumbsup I've met a few of your co-workers on this side who told me they dig in pile to grab their tablets.

I am keeping mine at $77 and I got it rooted and after a couple of cache cleaning Market works. Thanks to the OP!

This was so easy to Root and add Market! :thumbsup:

roc
03-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Shad is taking suggestions for what should be included in the next firmware release. I'm taking suggestions to pass on to him. Let me know what you think. :)

How about an easy way to set up wifi for ad-hoc?

TIA

bhartman36
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
How about an easy way to set up wifi for ad-hoc?

TIA

Alright. That's on the list. :)

bhartman36
03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Has anybody had success getting flash 10.1 to run on their Craig? I rooted mine and I have access to the market. I installed flash but the browser doesn't see it. Anybody have any ideas for me?

I've tried the same thing, with no luck. If anyone has a solution, please let us know. :)

tipstir
03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
I do have to revise my observations a bit - had a chance today to look at it closely in full sunlight. The edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around, so that in itself does not seem to indicate a general shifted placement of the screen. But a shift still seems likely to be the case if that layer was put on after that point. I don't know how else that obvious left edge text cutoff would be explained on a number of different units bought from widely scattered CVS stores (mine was purchased in Durham, NC) aside from a manufacturing defect that positions them that way (plastic molding process just a bit off?). We need to look at some other app displays where we can see that kind of detail - would need some obvious differentiated parts of that edge of the app's display, and see if they "appear" as the tablet is rotated to move that edge view around to other sides of the screen.

I made one attempt last week to open my unit by taking out the 2 tiny screws on the end where all the connections are, but it got kind of hung up as I started trying to separate the front bezel going along the bottom edge opposite the CRAIG logo, and I was afraid that I would start breaking off the internal plastic snap tabs that likely hold it together. I think I will take another look in bright light with my reading glasses on to see if I get any better view of what is holding it together at that point - would like to see the screen "bare" along with my original idea to see if anything with the wifi antenna is causing the issues I am having with frequent loss of connectivity in my house even when the tablet is stationary on a stand.

I going to let CVS Corp know about this issue. I feel they can either give those with this issue $50 dollar CVS Gift Card or get us tablet without this issue with the panel. Sure I could go and replace it but I am sure there are more like them around. It's like a fine line around the edges. The anti-glare layer is not position correctly.

Pete-1818
03-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Hello,
Pickup one from CVS with 25% discount...sweet.

To root, I did the following
Downloaded from file CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z
rename file to update.img
copied file to root dic tablet
Clear Cache
Reboot
Want into Android Market...did not buy any apps

It seems everything fine! But how do I check to see if I am on Android 2.1 and everything is fine.:rolleyes:

Thank you for all of your help!!

bhartman36
03-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Hello,
Pickup one from CVS with 25% discount...sweet.

To root, I did the following
Downloaded from file CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z
rename file to update.img
copied file to root dic tablet
Clear Cache
Reboot
Want into Android Market...did not buy any apps

It seems everything fine! But how do I check to see if I am on Android 2.1 and everything is fine.:rolleyes:

Thank you for all of your help!!

Hi, Pete.

You didn't list the step there, but since it's working for you, I'm going to assume that you uncompressed the file before you renamed it, right?

If the software went through the upgrade process, and you were able to boot up, then that's 90% of the battle. The only other thing some people have reported is having a problem w/ Android Market. Just go into the Market and download one of the free apps to check it. :) If it doesn't work right away, run aCCleaner and clear the cache and data for all your apps, reboot, and try the Market again. Let us know how you make out! :)

craigapad
03-14-2011, 07:24 PM
hi members: I have a concern related to hardware, on the back of the gadget it says, "The cord contains lead and harmful to children, can cause cancer and reproductive issues etc."

I assume cord means power cord.
How different this power card is different from other cords.

I have not seen this kind of warning on the other gadgets, is it really dangerous to kids?

Do you guys have any comments on this?

thanks in advance.

kennyc
03-14-2011, 07:28 PM
hi members: I have a concern related to hardware, on the back of the gadget it says, "The cord contains lead and harmful to children, can cause cancer and reproductive issues etc."

I have not seen this kind of warning on the other gadgets, is it really dangerous to kids?

thanks in advance.

I think it's very serious. You should send your tablet to me. :D

gpzjack
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
i moved the img file to the craig..unplugged the usb and nothing happens. I see other people asking and no one answers. Do i need to do the multiple button method?

thanks

update. I figured it out. update.img.img the file appears as...long hold...rename and take off the second img and you're good to go.

gpzjack
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
what is the signal strength bar at the top for...its not for wifi...leftover phone item?

P.S. I have to admit for $100 this thing is a nice little tab. I had a archos7 and it was a terd compared to this thing.

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 01:28 AM
i moved the img file to the craig..unplugged the usb and nothing happens. I see other people asking and no one answers. Do i need to do the multiple button method?

thanks

update. I figured it out. update.img.img the file appears as...long hold...rename and take off the second img and you're good to go.

Sorry I didn't answer that question. When I saw the question the first time, the person asking it had already updated it with the same solution you came to.

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 01:29 AM
what is the signal strength bar at the top for...its not for wifi...leftover phone item?

P.S. I have to admit for $100 this thing is a nice little tab. I had a archos7 and it was a terd compared to this thing.

The signal strength bar is there because this particular version of Android expects to be run on a phone. I haven't seen it, but I would assume that Honeycomb, since it's built for tablets, doesn't have this indicator on Wifi-only tablets.

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 01:32 AM

thanks in advance.

I think it's just a warning that lead was used somewhere in the wire in the cord. As long as the cord is intact, I don't think there's much to worry about. But if you're concerned, you can certainly look for a cord with the same specs (in terms of voltage, etc.). I doubt it's a specialty part.

Pete-1818
03-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi, Pete.

You didn't list the step there, but since it's working for you, I'm going to assume that you uncompressed the file before you renamed it, right?

If the software went through the upgrade process, and you were able to boot up, then that's 90% of the battle. The only other thing some people have reported is having a problem w/ Android Market. Just go into the Market and download one of the free apps to check it. :) If it doesn't work right away, run aCCleaner and clear the cache and data for all your apps, reboot, and try the Market again. Let us know how you make out! :)

Thank you. I try download aCCleaner app and nothing happens. It also said "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account."

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Thank you. I try download aCCleaner app and nothing happens. It also said "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account."

You should probably log in to your Gmail account first. I've heard that doing that helps people with the Market.

aCCleaner is already installed on the unit once you've put on the new firmware, so you don't need to get it from the Market. Touch the icon that looks like a square grid. That will bring up a full list of all your apps. You should see it then.

All of this, of course, assumes you've already installed the custom firmware (either the 4.2 (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z&can=2&q=) version or the Froyo (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-Froyo-2011-03-07-rls-0.4.img&can=2&q=) version).

Let me know if you need more help. I'm glad to see people taking an interest. :)

gpzjack
03-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Only problem i have had so far is that playback on angry birds is reall choppy. Not sure why...my archos5 has no problems with it..

i'm running the 4.2 rom. Whats the word on the froyo rom?

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Only problem i have had so far is that playback on angry birds is reall choppy. Not sure why...my archos5 has no problems with it..

i'm running the 4.2 rom. Whats the word on the froyo rom?

Angry Birds is better on 4.2 for me than it was on other versions, but it's still too slow to be enjoyable.

Shad's working on improving the Froyo ROM, but hasn't released an update yet. Some people have had good luck with it, while others have reported it locks up a lot. Some people have reported being able to run Flash, but I haven't gotten it to work on 4.2 or the Froyo ROM.

irep146jesus
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Ok so I noticed what some was saying about fine lines outlining the screen. However mines isnt really that noticeable unless you are starring from every every angle. But i do understand consumer wants when it comes to quality products and that small issue shouldnt be acceptable. ...

Apart from that issue...

I have a question. Ok I know when you go to the wireless settings and mobile settings, adding apn settings, one of the options is type which includes CDMA settings for your mobile... My cell phone service is MetroPcs and I do not know the apn settings which is CDMA. I tried googling it, however almost every forum had 10 thousands different answers. After calling metro pcs for their apn settings, i was told they are unable to provide me that information. Metro Pcs cell phones unlike Sim card type phones, does not show the settings. This sucks. I want my mobile settings on my tablet like everyone else. Google voice only works with wifi which is not possible at all times. So I guess the question is, do any one of you have any solutions lol. I know this is vague.

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Ok so I noticed what some was saying about fine lines outlining the screen. However mines isnt really that noticeable unless you are starring from every every angle. But i do understand consumer wants when it comes to quality products and that small issue shouldnt be acceptable. ...

Apart from that issue...

I have a question. Ok I know when you go to the wireless settings and mobile settings, adding apn settings, one of the options is type which includes CDMA settings for your mobile... My cell phone service is MetroPcs and I do not know the apn settings which is CDMA. I tried googling it, however almost every forum had 10 thousands different answers. After calling metro pcs for their apn settings, i was told they are unable to provide me that information. Metro Pcs cell phones unlike Sim card type phones, does not show the settings. This sucks. I want my mobile settings on my tablet like everyone else. Google voice only works with wifi which is not possible at all times. So I guess the question is, do any one of you have any solutions lol. I know this is vague.

The Craig tablet doesn't have an internal cell radio. The only way you're going to be able to use a 3G network with the tablet is if you have a USB cell modem or if you get tethering working. I've tried Barnacle to tether to my cell phone, but it hasn't worked so far.

tipstir
03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Panel issue is something you can live with out not. The WiFi is acting up then the battery when it dead it shuts the unit off. The panel isn't HD seems lower quality though even though tablet supports HD 720p.

bhartman36
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Panel issue is something you can live with out not. The WiFi is acting up then the battery when it dead it shuts the unit off. The panel isn't HD seems lower quality though even though tablet supports HD 720p.

The panel seems to be the major area Craig skimped on to get the device down to $100. I don't really miss the HD for a screen this size. At least it's got HDMI out. I find the lack of multitouch to be a little bit more annoying when browsing, though. It's not enough to be a deal-breaker for me, but it'd still be nice.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy a multitouch panel this size? :) I've heard of a lot of people cracking their Craig tablets open. I'm not really handy that way, but if I was, I'd be tempted to get a non-working 7" mulittouch tablet (with a working display) and see if I could transplant it. :)

Here's a panel (http://cgi.ebay.com/7-inch-LCD-Touch-Screen-panel-/280604977083?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item41555c27bb) for $25. :)

timzhangar13
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Hello, I purchased the craig last week for $75. I have the original software and would like to help out any way I can. Somebody had mentioned they wanted it to do some testing. I can copy it if you tell me what to do, or I can do some testing for you. I would like to upgrade mine but my luck I would mess the whole thing up. I thought I would wait a little while until you thought you had a fairly good update.

irep146jesus
03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I see alot of people complaining about this tablet.. People.. Dont complain when you spared expense on it. You bought a cheap product compared to one that is well in the hundreds so you really shouldnt have high expectations as if you just bought a 500 dollar tablet. Its not going to be the same. For the price the craig tablet cost, i say im pleased. Its a starter tablet. Not a mega professional tablet.

bhartman36
03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Hello, I purchased the craig last week for $75. I have the original software and would like to help out any way I can. Somebody had mentioned they wanted it to do some testing. I can copy it if you tell me what to do, or I can do some testing for you. I would like to upgrade mine but my luck I would mess the whole thing up. I thought I would wait a little while until you thought you had a fairly good update.

Here (http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Dump_your_Home_Tablet_rom_and_crea te_a_custom_rom) are the instructions to dump your tablet to an img file, if you'd like to do that.

Pushing the new updates to your tablet is pretty safe. The worst that I've ever seen happen is the update doesn't get installed. In a worst-case scenario, you can always flash the drive with an older update to restore your tablet.

TikaC made a good guide you can read here (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/index.html).

bhartman36
03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I see alot of people complaining about this tablet.. People.. Dont complain when you spared expense on it. You bought a cheap product compared to one that is well in the hundreds so you really shouldnt have high expectations as if you just bought a 500 dollar tablet. Its not going to be the same. For the price the craig tablet cost, i say im pleased. Its a starter tablet. Not a mega professional tablet.

I agree with you on the specs. First, this is actually a good amount of tech for the money. And secondly, for $100 (and some people have paid less), you're not going to get an iPad. You're just not.

On the other hand, I can see people complaining about the build quality. Cheap materials for the money, I can understand, but once you've got the materials, there's really no excuse for putting them together in a slipshod way. Now, I have no complaints about the build quality of the device I have now (even though I had to return one for an exchange before I got this one), but if someone's got a noticeably defective screen, I can understand them complaining about that. I would certainly take it back for an exchange if I felt that way.

clwns4real@gmail
03-16-2011, 07:21 PM
hello i also am a new purchaser of the craig tablet and it seems everyone is having way more success than i am.. which is great since i am not tech savy... but my question is i keep trying to install the apk installer and it wont let me and how do i convert pdf files or a FREE app for this.. lastly need a dj software program for my craig table have downloaded several controllers but it says i need the softwareOkay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Speaker & Microphone
3.5mm headphone jack

bhartman36
03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
hello i also am a new purchaser of the craig tablet and it seems everyone is having way more success than i am.. which is great since i am not tech savy... but my question is i keep trying to install the apk installer and it wont let me and how do i convert pdf files or a FREE app for this.. lastly need a dj software program for my craig table have downloaded several controllers but it says i need the software

Where are you trying to install the APK installer from? There's one included on the 4.2 update, so you don't have to install it from outside if you put that update on your tablet.

Documents To Go will view PDF files, so if it's not installed on your tablet already, you can get that from the Market, once you install the update.

I'm not really familiar with DJ software, so I'll have to let someone else tackle that one...

cindi42
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
can someone please tell me on this craig tablet i just bought we are trying to figure out if your able to play any games such as on facebook or yahoo...im am literally stupid on this and i need step by step instructions to just figuring it out...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANKS

roc
03-16-2011, 10:54 PM
I think it's just a warning that lead was used somewhere in the wire in the cord. As long as the cord is intact, I don't think there's much to worry about. But if you're concerned, you can certainly look for a cord with the same specs (in terms of voltage, etc.). I doubt it's a specialty part.

I have seen this warning on USB and other data cables every so often for some years now (I go through a lot of cables ;-) ). This seems to be a play-it-safe-per-the-lawyers warning prompted by California's Proposition 65 strictness about lead. See this article for more background:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/28/cancer-warning-labels-on-products-a-cause-for-concern/

HTH

timzhangar13
03-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Here (http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Dump_your_Home_Tablet_rom_and_crea te_a_custom_rom) are the instructions to dump your tablet to an img file, if you'd like to do that.

Pushing the new updates to your tablet is pretty safe. The worst that I've ever seen happen is the update doesn't get installed. In a worst-case scenario, you can always flash the drive with an older update to restore your tablet.

TikaC made a good guide you can read here (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/index.html).

Thanks bhartman36, This guide TikaC wrote is like CRAIG tablets for DUMMIES!
This is exactly what I needed :thumbsup:

bhartman36
03-17-2011, 01:01 AM
can someone please tell me on this craig tablet i just bought we are trying to figure out if your able to play any games such as on facebook or yahoo...im am literally stupid on this and i need step by step instructions to just figuring it out...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANKS

Most of the games on Facebook I've seen rely on Flash. Flash doesn't work on the tablet, so I would say no to that. The games on Yahoo also seem to rely on Flash.

GeoffC
03-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Hey !

Lots more newbies in this thread ..... :2thumbsup

Welcome to each and everyone of you, to Mobileread .... Browse around and see what else we have to offer, such as the Library on Mobileread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132) for some Classic books :2thumbsup ....

Timoleon
03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Still lovin' this thing.:) Can't wait for the Froyo ROM to stabilize so that I can try out the new Android Sony Reader software on it!

The stock ereader on the Craig looks nice, but I can't get the rotation to lock in the vertical position for reading --- which is a pain because I like to read in bed while on my side. I can lock CoolReader, but it doesn't look quite as nice as the stock ereader does. Maybe the Android version of the Sony Reader will give me the cure... :p

The on-screen keyboard is a little flaky (inacurate) in some applications, in the "compressed" vertical position.

Ravensknight
03-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I have a sony 505, and I love it. However, I would like a 7in device, and the 950 is WAY out of my money league.

How does this function as a reader? cause I can put up with a lot for under $100 :D

bhartman36
03-18-2011, 12:33 AM
I have a sony 505, and I love it. However, I would like a 7in device, and the 950 is WAY out of my money league.

How does this function as a reader? cause I can put up with a lot for under $100 :D

The Shelves application (for non-DRM'd epub books) has a page animation when you flip, but other than that, it's pretty bare-bones. Not bad, for what it is, though. I like the Kindle app, but prefer my actual Kindle (except at night, of course :)).

The one I've had the worst experience with is the Nook software. It's about as stable as a house of cards in a wind tunnel (for me, at least).

Physically, I think the device is a good size to read. Roughly the same size as my Kindle, and only a smidge heavier.

I haven't tried it outside yet, so I can't tell you how well it does in direct sunlight, but the brightness is adjustable, so if you need to, you can crank it up.

For the price, you could certainly do worse for a reader -- especially since you can do so many other things with this one.

tipstir
03-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Besides the screen panel the tablet is a good buy here are some tweaks you can add to your Craig I've put together once you update the 4.2 or 4.3 image on it.

Go here (http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2564-tipstir-s-honeycomb-power-tweaks-for-coby-kyros-craig-cmp-31711)

Gives you HONEYCOMB look not 100% but 50%. There are 19 tweak files along with it. I got my benchmark to show 1,667 prior the max was 1,550 before using 4.2. Then 1,600 with 4.2. The tweaks gives you the extra 67.

Ravensknight
03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
and another question [thanks all for being so patient with all us newbs]:
is this good for reading manga on?
I've experimented with my 505 and while it is readable, it is just to dang small compared to the paperversion. Does that extra 1in on the Craig make a difference? Or should I save my dollars and get a larger device, like a viewsonic g?

bhartman36
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
and another question [thanks all for being so patient with all us newbs]:
is this good for reading manga on?
I've experimented with my 505 and while it is readable, it is just to dang small compared to the paperversion. Does that extra 1in on the Craig make a difference? Or should I save my dollars and get a larger device, like a viewsonic g?

I wasn't sure how to answer that, so I just tried Manga Browser on my Craig. It seems fine. I hold it in landscape, and it's wide enough. I just have to scroll down a bit to see all the frames.

irep146jesus
03-20-2011, 01:32 AM
ok im such a newb lol.. whats 4.3? Meaning how this update is different from 4.2

irep146jesus
03-20-2011, 01:35 AM
ok im such a newb lol.. whats 4.3? Meaning how this update is different from 4.2

besides the description. i saw market removed, why. is this a better version. i just need understanding

bhartman36
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
besides the description. i saw market removed, why. is this a better version. i just need understanding

The market is still there. I think the description refers to removing the old version and putting a more updated version of the market software in.

timzhangar13
03-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Bhartman36 - I am trying to backup my Craig using Tika's backing up the ROM, z4root runs fime and says it is rooted and ready, then when I run Better Terminal Pro apps it comes up with a message and says it is already shelled, then if you hit ok it goes back to the main menu screen. The only thing I can think that I did wrong was I downloaded the 4 programs and unzipped them on my laptop that runs vista 32 bit & IE, then transfered them on a stick to my (very slow) desktop that runs win 2000 & foxfire. Do you have any suggestions or do you think I should redo everything using the same computer.

timzhangar13
03-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Maybe I should forget about a backup and just flash it with new software, I am just learning this and was doing it more to teach myself. I had one other question when I do add the new software which one do you feel is working fairly good?

bhartman36
03-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Maybe I should forget about a backup and just flash it with new software, I am just learning this and was doing it more to teach myself. I had one other question when I do add the new software which one do you feel is working fairly good?

Hi, Tim.

I would really recommend just flashing it. It's a lot less trouble than trying to do a backup of your data first. I'm assuming that you don't have anything on your Craig that you don't also have somewhere else, though.

As far as which version you should use: I use the 4.3 version software. It runs well, and it's more stable than the Froyo version.

princesslionness
03-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Greetings, i just got my tablet yesterday and just successfully updated it to android 4.3.. i love it.. Yet everytime i try to download something from android marketplace it says soandso uploaded unsuccessful.. as well as everytime i try to use acccleaner is say all caches are cleared.. any help?

princesslionness
03-20-2011, 06:29 PM
i finally got it to clear the cach., and restarted it and its still saying unsuccessful.. any help please? im traveling tomorrow and would love some games~

princesslionness
03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
ok i just went into settings and cleared all the data.. yet it is still doing the same thing..
im going to try to download the 2.1 or is it 2.2 the link fron the post giving the directions... instead of the 4.3 maybe that is the problem
----

ok.. i did update it to the 4.2 i believe.. when i uploaded the 4.1 i didnt see any accleaner so i went and downloaded 4.2...
yet I am still having no luck with getting the apps to download from market.. please somebody help??? how can i try to clear cach and data by each app... market makes me login to my google account to use it also.. please anything??

jamesva
03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Is there a way to change the opening screen for this Craig Tablet?
Can it open with the "grid" type menu of icons?

Thanks!

bhartman36
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
ok i just went into settings and cleared all the data.. yet it is still doing the same thing..
im going to try to download the 2.1 or is it 2.2 the link fron the post giving the directions... instead of the 4.3 maybe that is the problem
----

ok.. i did update it to the 4.2 i believe.. when i uploaded the 4.1 i didnt see any accleaner so i went and downloaded 4.2...
yet I am still having no luck with getting the apps to download from market.. please somebody help??? how can i try to clear cach and data by each app... market makes me login to my google account to use it also.. please anything??

You need to reboot after you do aCCleaner. Make sure you do that. If you clear out everything from there, and make sure you sign in to the marketplace (by logging in to your Google account) you should be okay. Let me know if you have a problem.

bhartman36
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Is there a way to change the opening screen for this Craig Tablet?
Can it open with the "grid" type menu of icons?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert in Android, but I think it opens with the launcher, by default. I don't think you get the grid unless you hit the button for it. But if anyone knows different, I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

tipstir
03-21-2011, 02:40 AM
I am still on 4.2 no issues runs quick and wallpaper is managed by Magic Wall which are kept in a folder on the microsd card.

irep146jesus
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Greetings, i just got my tablet yesterday and just successfully updated it to android 4.3.. i love it.. Yet everytime i try to download something from android marketplace it says soandso uploaded unsuccessful.. as well as everytime i try to use acccleaner is say all caches are cleared.. any help?

i had the same problem initially. Then i just realized i would have to omit using accleaner, and just clear the caches/data manually by going to settings/applications/manageapplications then hit menu button and click filter. select all. then the apps that were stated on Page #1 on this forum, plus all google apps in general, click them and click clear data/clear cache. Then restart your tablet.
Hope this helps!

Timoleon
03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
i had the same problem initially. Then i just realized i would have to omit using accleaner, and just clear the caches/data manually by going to settings/applications/manageapplications then hit menu button and click filter. select all. then the apps that were stated on Page #1 on this forum, plus all google apps in general, click them and click clear data/clear cache. Then restart your tablet.
Hope this helps!

Ditto here. That should do it!:thumbsup:

tschill
03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I followed your instructions for 'rooting' to the letter. It went well, and I like the enhancements it included. However, I can no longer access it with my computer. I have no way of reverting. I have done a reset twice, and I did achive being able to access the USB port, which was also dead, but not the internal memory vis the small USB to the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to have the best of both worlds.

Additionally, I still was not able to download any games from Market. I did try all the cache clearing as instructed.

Thanks. This forum is great.

Tom

bhartman36
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
I followed your instructions for 'rooting' to the letter. It went well, and I like the enhancements it included. However, I can no longer access it with my computer. I have no way of reverting. I have done a reset twice, and I did achive being able to access the USB port, which was also dead, but not the internal memory vis the small USB to the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to have the best of both worlds.

Additionally, I still was not able to download any games from Market. I did try all the cache clearing as instructed.

Thanks. This forum is great.

Tom

Hi, Tom.

I'm not sure why you're not able to download games from the Market. The only thing I can think of is that you need to remember to reboot after you clear the cache. Other than that, maybe someone else has some ideas.

In terms of the USB port, check to make sure the Craig isn't in USB Host Mode. Under Settings, go to "USB Mode Select" and make sure USB Host Mode is unchecked.

Let me know if that works. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

tschill
03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I 'm afraid I covered all those bases. Since I can't access it with the computer, is there a way to revert to the original system? Can you copy files from a thumb drive to the root directory for a new hack?

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

Tom

roobot5000
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
So, some folks here have owned this device for what? a month? Is it still holding up and functioning the same as it was in the beginning?

bhartman36
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I 'm afraid I covered all those bases. Since I can't access it with the computer, is there a way to revert to the original system? Can you copy files from a thumb drive to the root directory for a new hack?

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

Tom

Yes, if you're in USB Host Mode, you can copy the img file from the thumb drive to the root of your Craig and do the update that way. Let me know if it works.

bhartman36
03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
So, some folks here have owned this device for what? a month? Is it still holding up and functioning the same as it was in the beginning?

Mine is still functioning the same. In fact, it's functioning better than it did on the day I got it, because of all the great work being done on the firmware by Shad and others. :)

sircole
03-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I just bought the craig tablet and have successfully flashed to the updated rom ( CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4) with the market and superuser. I'm enjoying it but I want my launch pro dock at the bottom in landscape mode, not vertical on the right side, like the Sylvania tablet also sold at CVS. Is this possible?

tipstir
03-24-2011, 12:31 AM
http://www.craigelectronics.com/files/products/57_243_1.jpg

WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET
CMP738A

Source: Craig Electroinics (http://www.craigelectronics.com/files/products/57_243_1.jpg)

FEATURES & SPECS
7 inch Digital Touch Screen (800 x 480 , 16:9)
Processor Speed 700MHz
Operating System : Powered By Google Android 2.2, Flash 8
4 GB Built-in Flash Memory
Built-in 256MB DDR II RAM
Built-in WIFI (54Mps)
Support Video Format : MKV/AVI/RM/RMVB/FLV/WMV/MP4/MPG/VOB (Up to 720p)
Support Audio Format : MP3/WMA/WAV
Support Photo Format : JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG
Support e-Reader Format : PDF/PDF DRM/TXT/EPUB/EPUB DRM/HTML/FB2
Automatically Rotate Function
Mini HDMI AV Out Jack (720p)
Mini USB to Connect to Computer
USB Host
Landscape to Portrait Screen Function
Built-in Rechargeable Battery
Built-in Speaker & Microphone
Micro SD Card Slot (Support Max. 32GB)
Supports Browser, e-Book Reader, e-Mail, Photos, Maps, Video, YouTube, Facebook, Music, SlideME Marketplace, Clock
3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack
3G Ready (For USB Connection)
Can Connect With PC as a Storage Drive

Timoleon
03-24-2011, 01:07 AM
So, tipstir, are the new Craigs really running Froyo? Has Shad created a stable version? Can I find a Craig image of Android 2.2 that I can put on my tablet?:blink::blink: Anxious here! :D

tipstir
03-24-2011, 05:05 PM

If your going to buy one you should know there is a issue that Craig is aware of but I've made it official getting there email from Corp saying there is hardware issue with the panel. They're releasing newer tablets with Android OS 2.2 on them.

I am on my second Craig and really the panel issue is annoying there are also ripples wavy lines (video noise) in the screen. Not a way to start off selling tablets. This should have been caught at the factory level. When I pack it up it goes back for good. Craig only gives you 3 months (90 days of protection against defects). CVS gives you 90 days to return it.

Issues are:

1. Panel / hardware
2. Battery life is very short
3. Charging takes very long
4. Updates no set time or date

The first pallet batch seem to have issues. Hopefully the second one will be better?

tipstir
03-24-2011, 05:11 PM
So, tipstir, are the new Craigs really running Froyo? Has Shad created a stable version? Can I find a Craig image of Android 2.2 that I can put on my tablet?:blink::blink: Anxious here! :D

Not the ones out there now. Seems Craig has a new batch out there in the wild. But for those of us with Android OS 2.1, they say there is update coming but no set date or time on when that will be. So, if you go to CVS and you see CMP738A with Android OS 2.2 on it. You might want to take yours back after you do a factory reset and exchange it for that model.

I was using whatever was posted in this thread for 4.2. Some say 4.3 isn't stable. But these RRM seem to be based on Archos ROM mod to work on Craig.

Craig email from corp is enough for me to return mine to CVS with the video noise and defective panel hardware. They is no fix for that! Exchange or full refund. It's a shame I did purchase two of them and both have the same issue. Note not purchased from the same store. Different stores in different states.

roc
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.craigelectronics.com/files/products/57_243_1.jpg

WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET
CMP738A

Source: Craig Electroinics (http://www.craigelectronics.com/files/products/57_243_1.jpg)

FEATURES & SPECS
7 inch Digital Touch Screen (800 x 480 , 16:9)
Processor Speed 700MHz
Operating System : Powered By Google Android 2.2, Flash 8
4 GB Built-in Flash Memory
Built-in 256MB DDR II RAM
Built-in WIFI (54Mps)
Support Video Format : MKV/AVI/RM/RMVB/FLV/WMV/MP4/MPG/VOB (Up to 720p)
Support Audio Format : MP3/WMA/WAV
Support Photo Format : JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG
Support e-Reader Format : PDF/PDF DRM/TXT/EPUB/EPUB DRM/HTML/FB2
Automatically Rotate Function
Mini HDMI AV Out Jack (720p)
Mini USB to Connect to Computer
USB Host
Landscape to Portrait Screen Function
Built-in Rechargeable Battery
Built-in Speaker & Microphone
Micro SD Card Slot (Support Max. 32GB)
Supports Browser, e-Book Reader, e-Mail, Photos, Maps, Video, YouTube, Facebook, Music, SlideME Marketplace, Clock
3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack
3G Ready (For USB Connection)
Can Connect With PC as a Storage Drive

Odd spec of Flash 8 - I am thinking some version of 10 is what is being put on most other Froyo tablets.

Here is the link to Craig's spec page, and note that it has a link for downloading Android 2.1 image for recovery purposes, so that is another oddity here.

FWIW

tschill
03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
How do I backup the ROM before I flash? Anyone?

Thanks,

Tom

bhartman36
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Odd spec of Flash 8 - I am thinking some version of 10 is what is being put on most other Froyo tablets.

Here is the link to Craig's spec page, and note that it has a link for downloading Android 2.1 image for recovery purposes, so that is another oddity here.

FWIW

The thing about the link on their page is that it doesn't actually work. It's just a link back to their homepage.

I'll e-mail the customer service contact I have and see if I can get the update. I'm not sure it's worth it, though. As you noted, it's an older version of Flash, and there's already a Froyo custom build for the tablet (although I haven't tried it in a while).

Harpmaker
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi folks, new here and new to tablets in general. I have a problem I hope you can explain and perhaps cure.

I recently bought a Craig 738a, mostly for viewing photos and videos, and was quite pleased with it. However, I wanted to access the Android Market so I was preparing to do a ROM upgrade. Being safety minded I wanted to backup the current data and ROM in case something went wrong so I was following the instructions given here (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/backup.html). Everything went fine until I installed and used Z4Root. I think running that program bricked by 738a. Even though I had chosen, per directions, to have Z4Root install a temporary root, rebooting the tablet did nothing.

The problem is that after I power up the unit, after unlocking the unit at the "Welcome screen" (or whatever this is properly called) I get the error message "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped working as expected. Please try again." At this point the only thing I can do is press "Force close". When I do that another error message is displayed reading "The process android.process.acore has stopped working as expected. Please try again." and again the only thing I can do is press "Force close" which causes the screen to go black (except for the top line containing the time), the same error message pops up, the wallpaper pops up behind the message and then the normal icons pop up being the error message.

Other than this activity the tablet is totally non-responsive, I can't even get into settings to deactivate USB Host mode to hook it to a PC.

I can press and hold the power button which will open the normal "device options" window under the error message and after pressing "Force close" I can power down the unit as normal, but that's it.

Is there any way to resurrect this unit or is it permanently bricked? As far as I can deduce the problem is due to running the Z4Root program.

To stay on-topic with the main forum, I do intend to use my 738a as an eBook reader, but that job is currently being filled by my $40 Literati. :bookworm: OK, quit your snickerin', that little reader has worked fine for me. :D

bhartman36
03-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi folks, new here and new to tablets in general. I have a problem I hope you can explain and perhaps cure.

I recently bought a Craig 738a, mostly for viewing photos and videos, and was quite pleased with it. However, I wanted to access the Android Market so I was preparing to do a ROM upgrade. Being safety minded I wanted to backup the current data and ROM in case something went wrong so I was following the instructions given here (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/backup.html). Everything went fine until I installed and used Z4Root. I think running that program bricked by 738a. Even though I had chosen, per directions, to have Z4Root install a temporary root, rebooting the tablet did nothing.

The problem is that after I power up the unit, after unlocking the unit at the "Welcome screen" (or whatever this is properly called) I get the error message "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped working as expected. Please try again." At this point the only thing I can do is press "Force close". When I do that another error message is displayed reading "The process android.process.acore has stopped working as expected. Please try again." and again the only thing I can do is press "Force close" which causes the screen to go black (except for the top line containing the time), the same error message pops up, the wallpaper pops up behind the message and then the normal icons pop up being the error message.

Other than this activity the tablet is totally non-responsive, I can't even get into settings to deactivate USB Host mode to hook it to a PC.

I can press and hold the power button which will open the normal "device options" window under the error message and after pressing "Force close" I can power down the unit as normal, but that's it.

Is there any way to resurrect this unit or is it permanently bricked? As far as I can deduce the problem is due to running the Z4Root program.

To stay on-topic with the main forum, I do intend to use my 738a as an eBook reader, but that job is currently being filled by my $40 Literati. :bookworm: OK, quit your snickerin', that little reader has worked fine for me. :D

Even if you can't get into host mode, you should be able to get into recovery mode. Hold down Power + Home at the same time while you're plugging in the Craig to the USB. Then you should be able to flash the unit with the firmware, resurrecting it. I recommend flashing it with this firmware (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z&can=2&q=). The flashing tool can be found here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=2&q=).

Let me know if you need help. Basically, you're going to run RKBatchUpgrade.exe and choose your img file as the Image to feed the program. After a few minutes, your unit should be flashed, and you should be good to go. :)

bhartman36
03-25-2011, 02:26 PM
How do I backup the ROM before I flash? Anyone?

Thanks,

Tom

TikaC has made an excellent tutorial for backing up the ROM. You can find that here (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/backup.html).

Harpmaker
03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Even if you can't get into host mode, you should be able to get into recovery mode. Hold down Power + Home at the same time while you're plugging in the Craig to the USB. Then you should be able to flash the unit with the firmware, resurrecting it. I recommend flashing it with this firmware (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z&can=2&q=). The flashing tool can be found here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=2&q=).

Let me know if you need help. Basically, you're going to run RKBatchUpgrade.exe and choose your img file as the Image to feed the program. After a few minutes, your unit should be flashed, and you should be good to go. :)
Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup: I basically did what you suggested, but I followed the directions I found here (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1077943/m15816605/) where Miss Spacy had a similar problem to mine. Like her, when I plugged my 738a into the PC (even after loading the driver for it) it never showed up in a window or as a drive. Using the RKBatchUpgrade program did the trick and I'm now running the 4.3 firmware.

Did Z4Root zap my 738a or was it just coincidence? I see you have recommended those same backup instructions.

valarie
03-25-2011, 04:31 PM
has anyone tried the new viewsonic tablet and what is it like?????

bhartman36
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup: I basically did what you suggested, but I followed the directions I found here (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1077943/m15816605/) where Miss Spacy had a similar problem to mine. Like her, when I plugged my 738a into the PC (even after loading the driver for it) it never showed up in a window or as a drive. Using the RKBatchUpgrade program did the trick and I'm now running the 4.3 firmware.

Did Z4Root zap my 738a or was it just coincidence? I see you have recommended those same backup instructions.

Honestly, I'm not sure what caused your problem. I'm pretty sure I'm not running z4Root, though. I installed Superuser and that does the trick for me.

tipstir
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Craig has 10 new tablets being released, it would be interesting to see who get's what? couple of 7" next one up from CMP738A is the CMP738B with 512MB of RAM OS 2.2 some 8 and 10" tablets too. They're banking a huge turnover profit margin that low cost cheap tablets will sell more. They may be right with that idea.

roc
03-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Craig has 10 new tablets being released, it would be interesting to see who get's what? couple of 7" next one up from CMP738A is the CMP738B with 512MB of RAM OS 2.2 some 8 and 10" tablets too. They're banking a huge turnover profit margin that low cost cheap tablets will sell more. They may be right with that idea.

Do you have a link for that info? Sounds more like what Coby is doing aside from that "CMP738B" model number.

Harpmaker
03-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I would be interested in a slightly more capable tablet than the 738a in a 10" version as long as the price was right (cheap :o).

Harpmaker
03-26-2011, 12:15 AM
OK, just updated my 738a to ROM 4.3 and while I can access the Android Market all downloads are "unsuccessful". Anyone know how to fix this? Slide works fine.

Also, has anyone compiled a list of programs that are known to work with the 738a? Yeah, I'm new so forgive me if that is a dumb question.

bhartman36
03-26-2011, 01:32 AM
OK, just updated my 738a to ROM 4.3 and while I can access the Android Market all downloads are "unsuccessful". Anyone know how to fix this? Slide works fine.

Also, has anyone compiled a list of programs that are known to work with the 738a? Yeah, I'm new so forgive me if that is a dumb question.

The first thing to do is to use aCCleaner to clear the cache and data for all apps. (It shouldn't take more than all Google-related apps, but do all apps, just to be sure.) Once you do that, you should be able to reboot and get into the Market. Search the thread for other people's experiences if you don't have success after that.

Cheeky1
03-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I still find myself following this thread because I'm so impressed with what you guys have done with this device. If it weren't for the resistive (is that right) screen, I would go buy this again. I think if I come across the newer firmware I may give it another go.

bhartman36
03-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I still find myself following this thread because I'm so impressed with what you guys have done with this device. If it weren't for the resistive (is that right) screen, I would go buy this again. I think if I come across the newer firmware I may give it another go.

Yes, the Craig has a resistive screen. The advantage the capacitive screen has is multitouch. The only time the lack of multitouch really bothers me is using the browser. For most other purposes, it's a non-issue. It's the screen that makes the difference in cost. If you put a capacitive screen on the Craig, you'd be making it a $200 device, at least. For that cost differential, I can definitely deal with the resistive screen.

Once someone gets the new device and heads over to SlateDroid with the firmware, it'll be possible to hack together a version of it for the older version -- one with the Market on it, etc.

TeKef
03-27-2011, 05:06 PM
My Craig is stuck!! I get the following error message "SORRY! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". When I press on "Force Close" it just pops right back up. It's a viciuos loop. Please help.

bhartman36
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
My Craig is stuck!! I get the following error message "SORRY! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". When I press on "Force Close" it just pops right back up. It's a viciuos loop. Please help.

Have you tried flipping the power switch off and booting again? If worse comes to worse, you could always reflash it with the firmware. That will bring it back to life. When did you start experiencing the problem?

TeKef
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, I've rebooted a few times and still the problem. The error message pops right back up. This started yesterday after loading some of the software I was following directions on from here. The z4Root and the Better Terminal Pro
How do I reflash it to bring it back to life - right now it's just dead.

you could always reflash it with the firmware. That will bring it back to life. When did you start experiencing the problem?

bhartman36
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes, I've rebooted a few times and still the problem. The error message pops right back up. This started yesterday after loading some of the software I was following directions on from here. The z4Root and the Better Terminal Pro
How do I reflash it to bring it back to life - right now it's just dead.

Your first step is to download the RKUtils (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=2&q=) software. Then, using RKAndroiBatchUpgrade.exe from the RKAndroidBathUpgrade directory, point it to the upgrade.img file that you can get from this (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z&can=2&q=) file. (You need to uncompress it before you put it on your Craig, obviously.) Once RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe runs, it should flash your Craig tablet. Then you should be good to go.

jbaumgartner
03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I noticed that on Craig's web site that there are the makers of the folowing android tablets. Does anyone know where their other models can be purchased?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIRELESS 10 inch COLOR CAPACITANCE TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP745
WIRELESS 10 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP744
WIRELESS 8 inch COLOR CAPACITANCE TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP743
WIRELESS 8 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP742
WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR CAPACITANCE TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP741
EBOOK WITH 7 inch COLOR DISPLAY - CMP739
WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP738B CVS
EPAD WITH 7 inch COLOR TOUCH DISPLAY - CMP738

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 01:47 AM
I noticed that on Craig's web site that there are the makers of the folowing android tablets. Does anyone know where their other models can be purchased?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIRELESS 10 inch COLOR CAPACITANCE TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP745
WIRELESS 10 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP744
WIRELESS 8 inch COLOR CAPACITANCE TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP743
WIRELESS 8 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP742
WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR CAPACITANCE TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP741
EBOOK WITH 7 inch COLOR DISPLAY - CMP739
WIRELESS 7 inch COLOR TOUCH SCREEN TABLET - CMP738B CVS
EPAD WITH 7 inch COLOR TOUCH DISPLAY - CMP738

I have no idea. AFAIK, those are new additions to the site. I'm not sure if we'll be seeing those in CVS or not. :chinscratch:

TeKef
03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Your first step is to download the RKUtils (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=2&q=) software. Then, using RKAndroiBatchUpgrade.exe from the RKAndroidBathUpgrade directory, point it to the upgrade.img file that you can get from this (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z&can=2&q=) file. (You need to uncompress it before you put it on your Craig, obviously.) Once RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe runs, it should flash your Craig tablet. Then you should be good to go.

Do I download these to my PC first?

Hardryve
03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Do I download these to my PC first?Yes.Download those to your desktop or somewhere you will remember.

TeKef
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM

10) Reboot Device

I just purchased a second Craig. I downloaded the Rom above but can't uncompress the file. Any help to uncompress it?

TeKef
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes.Download those to your desktop or somewhere you will remember.

I downloaded the files and cannot unzip them. How do unzip them. I tried winzip and get told it can open files with iso?

timzhangar13
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
This is a 7z file. You will have to search for 7z decompression software and you will find some free versions out there. Then use that to unzip the file. Rename it to update.img after you unzip it.

timzhangar13
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I downloaded the files and cannot unzip them. How do unzip them. I tried winzip and get told it can open files with iso?

Dont give up. I struggled at first but kept asking questions and everyone will help you through it.(I think bhartman36 is bcoming an expert; thxs to his help) I tried to save the original with not a lot of luck. Finally I just flashed mine with ver 4.3 just like bhartman36 said to do with RKAndroiBatchUpgrade.exe and it was success.

emt
03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Is there any way to know if the model in the store is Android 2.2 or 2.1 - any markings or a new box or whatever?

TeKef
03-28-2011, 05:05 PM
This is a 7z file. You will have to search for 7z decompression software and you will find some free versions out there. Then use that to unzip the file. Rename it to update.img after you unzip it.

I can't find a 7z decompressor. i tried Winzip - it won't ope the file, 7Zip won't open it either.

Any suggestions - help!:blink:

l3east21
03-28-2011, 05:49 PM
i recently purchased this device. it worked good at first. after trying to uninstall an app a message popped that says "Sorry! the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. please try again." there is a box under that that says force close, the only thing i can do, and when i press it the screen goes black and then the message pops up again. i have tried plugging it into my computer but it is in host mode so it does not recognize. any way you could help?

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I can't find a 7z decompressor. i tried Winzip - it won't ope the file, 7Zip won't open it either.

Any suggestions - help!:blink:

If 7zip won't decompress it, there's a chance the file got corrupted on the download. Try downloading it again. 7zip should be able to decompress it for you.

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
i recently purchased this device. it worked good at first. after trying to uninstall an app a message popped that says "Sorry! the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. please try again." there is a box under that that says force close, the only thing i can do, and when i press it the screen goes black and then the message pops up again. i have tried plugging it into my computer but it is in host mode so it does not recognize. any way you could help?

Follow the instructions (on the previous page, I think) for flashing your device. That should solve the problem.

l3east21
03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Follow the instructions (on the previous page, I think) for flashing your device. That should solve the problem.

i tried that but my craig is not accessable from the computer because it is in host mode, i cannot get it out of that mode because the devise is frozen

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 06:43 PM
i tried that but my craig is not accessable from the computer because it is in host mode, i cannot get it out of that mode because the devise is frozen

Turn the Craig off with the switch. Then hold down the Menu and Power buttons while you plug it into the USB. Your computer should detect it without it having to boot up, and it should go into the correct mode. You won't see the Craig turn on, but it will be accessible as a drive from your computer.

l3east21
03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Turn the Craig off with the switch. Then hold down the Menu and Power buttons while you plug it into the USB. Your computer should detect it without it having to boot up, and it should go into the correct mode. You won't see the Craig turn on, but it will be accessible as a drive from your computer.

i just tried that but it goes to the normal homescreen with the same message and does not show up on my computer, when do i need to start pressing the buttons and how long do i hold them

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
i just tried that but it goes to the normal homescreen with the same message and does not show up on my computer, when do i need to start pressing the buttons and how long do i hold them

Sorry. I goofed. It should be Home + Power. Hold them down while you're plugging in the device. You should hear a "ding" kind of sound almost immediately, but hold them down until you see the computer recognizing the Craig.

l3east21
03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry. I goofed. It should be Home + Power. Hold them down while you're plugging in the device. You should hear a "ding" kind of sound almost immediately, but hold them down until you see the computer recognizing the Craig.

k thank you, now it is trying to find driver software

l3east21
03-28-2011, 07:15 PM
k thank you, now it is trying to find driver software

my computer said that the driver software is not availible. where can i get that?

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
my computer said that the driver software is not availible. where can i get that?

Point it to the RKUtils directory. I think it's in there. But I think you should be able to see the device as a drive without it. Is it showing up on your computer?

l3east21
03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Point it to the RKUtils directory. I think it's in there. But I think you should be able to see the device as a drive without it. Is it showing up on your computer?

no it does not show up as a drive

TeKef
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM

That's exactly what mine is doing. I emailed Craig and this is what they emailed back "If its an error that read similar to android.process.acore, please follow the steps found in the warranty section of the owner’s manual and send it to us. We will reinstall the firmware in the device."

Not much help from them.:blink:

TeKef
03-28-2011, 08:50 PM
no it does not show up as a drive

My computer dings, Found New Hardware comes up, so does UBS at the bottom right, but I can't see it in My Computer.

l3east21
03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
My computer dings, Found New Hardware comes up, so does UBS at the bottom right, but I can't see it in My Computer.

i figured it out. i had to install a few things though. here are the links:

http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=1&q=

http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z&can=2&q=

first install both and move to an easy to get to place. you also need software to unzip them:
go to 7-zip.org to install the software and use it to extract both files.

now go into the unzipped RKUtils folder, then RKAndroidBatchUpgrade, then click the application RKAndroidBatchUpgrade

once you open the program look at the setting area and click the dotted box and find the cmp file that you downloaded, it should be an .img file
click on that and click upgrade at the bottom of the RK upgrader and it should do the rest for you. that file that you found also has the driver software needed to recognize the file for different windows versions.

Hope that helps

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 10:00 PM

http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z&can=2&q=

first install both and move to an easy to get to place. you also need software to unzip them:

now go into the unzipped RKUtils folder, then RKAndroidBatchUpgrade, then click the application RKAndroidBatchUpgrade

once you open the program look at the setting area and click the dotted box and find the cmp file that you downloaded, it should be an .img file
click on that and click upgrade at the bottom of the RK upgrader and it should do the rest for you. that file that you found also has the driver software needed to recognize the file for different windows versions.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that. :) Sorry if I caused anyone confusion. The flash process that 13east21 should work whether or not the computer sees the Craig.

l3east21
03-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for that. :) Sorry if I caused anyone confusion. The flash process that 13east21 should work whether or not the computer sees the Craig.

thanks for leading me in the right direction, i have done everything you said but i still cannot download apps from the android market. any ideas?

bhartman36
03-28-2011, 11:08 PM
thanks for leading me in the right direction, i have done everything you said but i still cannot download apps from the android market. any ideas?

Go into Settings, Manage Apps, and delete all your cache and app data. That should do it. :)

tipstir
03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Is there any way to know if the model in the store is Android 2.2 or 2.1 - any markings or a new box or whatever?

Most current model is the CMP738A but looks like that's be replaced by CMP738B which will have Android OS 2.2 with Flash. I've contacted Craig Electronics Corp and was told that they had plans to release update to current CMP738A owners with Android OS 2.2 but not set date yet.

December 2010 is the last build date code. It's not on the box only on the device itself on the back of the case.

There is over 10 new models coming out.

dirigo9
03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
This is so awesome. Thank you so much for posting these instructions. Worked like a charm.

MicDizzle2
03-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Hope that helps
It says "no device existed",what to do now?:(

bhartman36
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
It says "no device existed",what to do now?:(

Did you go into Recovery mode? Don't forget to press Home + Power when you plug it in. That should let RKAndroidBatchUpgrade see the device. It won't see it otherwise.

MicDizzle2
03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Did you go into Recovery mode? Don't forget to press Home + Power when you plug it in. That should let RKAndroidBatchUpgrade see the device. It won't see it otherwise.
Yeah,and it dings,but it when I go to the RK2818 BatchUpgrade and put the CMP file in and click upgrade it keeps saying "No device existed,stop upgrading".smh

MicDizzle2
03-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Can someone please help :(

bhartman36
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah,and it dings,but it when I go to the RK2818 BatchUpgrade and put the CMP file in and click upgrade it keeps saying "No device existed,stop upgrading".smh

Try rebooting the Craig and see if that helps. I'm not really familiar with that problem. You might also want to ask on SlateDroid.

MicDizzle2
03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Try rebooting the Craig and see if that helps. I'm not really familiar with that problem. You might also want to ask on SlateDroid.

It keeps saying Test Device Fails,Upgrade Fail

MicDizzle2
03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
I might as well take it back to CVS smh

l3east21
03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
I might as well take it back to CVS smh

dont give up on it. just keep trying and make sure you are following the instructions exactly, if you downloaded all the files i talked about it should work fine. just try again and make sure you install the right driver software for your computer's OS, if it doesnt work try all the other versions until one works

MicDizzle2
03-31-2011, 09:14 PM
It says "Cannot install this Hardware"

chimchim
03-31-2011, 10:11 PM
I am not having any problem installing the .img files, but I have a kindle account and every time I go to download a bought book to my Craig the device asks me to remove the book and try to download again. I don't receive an error message. Does anyone else have a similar issue?

mechanics200
03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
I did the rooting per instructions and everything appears to work fine except one thing. Removing the icons on the main desktop does not work. No trash can appears when removal is attempted. The removal of any that I have added will proceed correctly. ANy ideas?

MicDizzle2
03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
dont give up on it. just keep trying and make sure you are following the instructions exactly, if you downloaded all the files i talked about it should work fine. just try again and make sure you install the right driver software for your computer's OS, if it doesnt work try all the other versions until one works

Thanks for all your help guys,I finally got it to upgrade,I had to use my sisters Windows Vista Computer,thanks dude God Bless: )

bhartman36
04-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks for all your help guys,I finally got it to upgrade,I had to use my sisters Windows Vista Computer,thanks dude God Bless: )

Glad you finally got it to work. :)

tschill
04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
TikaC has made an excellent tutorial for backing up the ROM. You can find that here (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/backup.html).

Thanks for all your help with this thing. I now have one running just fine, EXCEPT. I was playing around with the 2 button held down while pluggimg the computer in. Not sure why I tried it, but now the thing won't turn on unless the computer is plugged in. I hope you have a suggestion to solve this one.

Thanks again for all your work and suggestions.

Tom

PS, I just discovered that the tablet battery was low, a coincidence. All is well except the Kindle issue below.

tschill
04-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I am not having any problem installing the .img files, but I have a kindle account and every time I go to download a bought book to my Craig the device asks me to remove the book and try to download again. I don't receive an error message. Does anyone else have a similar issue?
I do. I can download the users guide and one free book OK. Amazon is working on the problem for me. I had one other free book that wouldn't download as well, 50% worked , 2 for 4. I'll post anything I learn.

Tom

MicDizzle2
04-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Remember to download 4.3 instead of 4.2

afterlife2
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Hu Guys!

I'm new here. i recently bought the Coby Kyros 7015(Rooted).:D I'm interested in this craig model as well. I just called my local CVS and they have the A model @ $99.99. Is there a coupon still available? or should I wait and get something else? Thanks.

tipstir
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
There should be, but it's best to go CVS web site join it and they'll send you coupons and etc. I have Kyros 7015 and Craig CMP738A and both Rooted. Battery on the Craig after it's charge doesn't keep too long before you have to recharge it again. Screen is not like what you have on the 7015 which is glossy and 1080p HD, the Craig is matted 720p HD.

afterlife2
04-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks Tipster! Which one of the 7" models or bigger would you recommend waiting for? Budget wise. I love the Coby7015(rooted), but am probably addicted.:eek: Haha. How about the RAmos W10 7" Android 2.2 ARM Cortex-A9 8GB? PS: Anyone having a no sound issue with the app double twist?

tipstir
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I had the Archos A32 which had that CPU Cortex A8 1GHz. After rooting it and setting the OC on it 1GHz/600MHz It was quick and the 8GB for NAND (IS internal storeage) left 6GB free. But you know there is the is the Coby KYROS MID7024 with a Cortex A8 1GHz and 512MB of RAM for $166 to $168 on Amazon or some of the other sites.

ls1ssws6
04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
this may be stupid but i hooked my device up to the computer and opened rock-chip in my computer and simply dragged the file into there and disconnected the usb but nothing is updating...am i missing something?

afterlife2
04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Coby KYROS MID7024 with a Cortex A8 1GHz and 512MB of RAM

Are you getting it Tipster? What is your next purchase? The Coby Kyros 8" and 10" look tempting. Too bad there are no giveaways for budget tablets, well not yet.:D There is a Coby Tablets with 2.3 is that real?

Coby Kyros MID 7025, 7026 and 1025 Tablet Specification

7, 8 and 10 inches of LCD WSVGA Capacitive touchscreen display
1024 x 600 pixel of screen resolution
16:9 aspect ratio
1GHz Samsung S5PV210 (Cortex A8) processor
4GB of internal memory storage capacity
Up to 32GB SD (SDHC) memory card slot
Integrated DVD drive
Runs on Android 2.3 operating system
1080P and 720P video support
Wi-Fi 802.11 b, g connectivity
USB port, HDMI port
Stereo speakers
3.5mm headphone jack
Built-in microphone
4800mAh battery

Cheeky1
04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I would love to know if it's real:)

bhartman36
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
this may be stupid but i hooked my device up to the computer and opened rock-chip in my computer and simply dragged the file into there and disconnected the usb but nothing is updating...am i missing something?

There are a couple of things to check to make sure it will update:

1) Remember to uncompress the file.
2) Remember to rename the file update.img (And check in the file manager to make sure it's "update.img" and not "update.img.img".)

If you put update.img in the root directory, it should update correctly once you disconnect the USB cable.

ls1ssws6
04-08-2011, 06:08 AM
There are a couple of things to check to make sure it will update:

2) Remember to rename the file update.img (And check in the file manager to make sure it's "update.img" and not "update.img.img".)

Bingo! I had changed it to update.img then when i looked it was update.img.img so i:cool: changed it to just update and then it worked well no problem. Now thats done im going to give it back to my friend who bought it and im going back to playing on my archos 101 :thumbsup: thanks for your help

tschill
04-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Remember to download 4.3 instead of 4.2

I see 4.3 Has:

Removed Launcher Pro
Removed Market 5.1.0

I'm new to this, but don't you need market.

bhartman36
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I see 4.3 Has:

Removed Launcher Pro
Removed Market 5.1.0

I'm new to this, but don't you need market.

4.3 has the Market. I believe what the "Removed Market 5.1.0" refers to is the fact that the Market was upgraded.

bhartman36
04-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Bingo! I had changed it to update.img then when i looked it was update.img.img so i:cool: changed it to just update and then it worked well no problem. Now thats done im going to give it back to my friend who bought it and im going back to playing on my archos 101 :thumbsup: thanks for your help

No problem. I hope your friend enjoys it and appreciates your work in getting it rooted for him. :)

tschill
04-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I just switched from 4.2 to 4.3 on my Craig. I miss the control 4.2 had over the home screens. Is there any advantage to using 4.3 over 4.2. I found that screen orientation is tricky. If I set my reader to portrait, then after reading, the home screen stays in portrait even though orientation is still set to automatic. If both are set to automatic both respond to rotation.

Also my Kindle app still will not download the book I purchased. It will download the guide, and another free book I tried, but also refused to download a second free book. I have contacted Amazon, and a very helpful rep said he would go up the line to the app developers, but I haven't heard back in a week.

Does anyone have comments or suggestions?

Tom

tipstir
04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I say stick with 4.2. I think the Rooted ROM should be best off the OEM ROM is very really quick! It seems that Launcher Pro was replaced by AW Launcher EX. I am not a fan of the AW Launchers. Launcher Pro is smoother but can use memory.

Amazon seems to be interested in selling the Kindle Tablet. The software is flaky for Android. Nook Android App is the same.

Craig ROM is update.img vs update.zip

tschill
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I say stick with 4.2. I think the Rooted ROM should be best off the OEM ROM is very really quick! It seems that Launcher Pro was replaced by AW Launcher EX. I am not a fan of the AW Launchers. Launcher Pro is smoother but can use memory.

Amazon seems to be interested in selling the Kindle Tablet. The software is flaky for Android. Nook Android App is the same.

Craig ROM is update.img vs update.zip

Thanks for the quick reply. I am confused about what you said about speed. Would you restate?

Also are you saying I should restore to OEM firmware before I root back to 4.2.?

Thanks again.

Tom

bhartman36
04-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I was back at CVS today. Saw someone returning their Craig tablet. I didn't talk to the guy, but I was almost tempted to ask him why and encourage him to do an exchange rather than a return. :)

irep146jesus
04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
So whats in the works for as updates for this tablet?

bhartman36
04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
So whats in the works for as updates for this tablet?

Craig is supposedly putting out an update to Froyo within a month. Shad's also got an update to Froyo going. I'm testing it now.

2525x2525
04-11-2011, 11:54 AM
whenever i try to use the market it says "A network error has occurred.Retry,or cancel and return to previous screen.
Help!

bhartman36
04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
whenever i try to use the market it says "A network error has occurred.Retry,or cancel and return to previous screen.
Help!

Let me know if the things I suggested in my messages helped. Hopefully it's just a temporary problem.

irep146jesus
04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Craig is supposedly putting out an update to Froyo within a month. Shad's also got an update to Froyo going. I'm testing it now.

Yesssss