View Full Version : Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS

Pages : 1 [2]

Cheeky1
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
How are the updates going? I'm thinking about giving this another shot...

I was over on slatedroid and I'm so impressed with what everyone has done with this tablet! :-)

BlackEagle_NYC
04-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Ok. I think, only you can handle this one,
I have Craig Tablet ofcourse brough from CVC. I had problem and find instructions for that and it work perfect i root it and use like 2 weeks till yesterday late. Now i have new problem that i am thinking you may help. Basically tablet start up looks normally small green android at left upper corner and disappear seconds later then the text " Android_" appear lower left side as usual and small thing "_" blinking and blinking and keep blinking but never starts. So, what is your opinion and there is a way to fix that problem. if you need to know more about it just message back i will look forward to hear from you.
Thank you for that you gave me already opportunity to have fun with this thing for 2 weeks. I like to fix it and keep. thanks.

bhartman36
04-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Ok. I think, only you can handle this one,
I have Craig Tablet ofcourse brough from CVC. I had problem and find instructions for that and it work perfect i root it and use like 2 weeks till yesterday late. Now i have new problem that i am thinking you may help. Basically tablet start up looks normally small green android at left upper corner and disappear seconds later then the text " Android_" appear lower left side as usual and small thing "_" blinking and blinking and keep blinking but never starts. So, what is your opinion and there is a way to fix that problem. if you need to know more about it just message back i will look forward to hear from you.
Thank you for that you gave me already opportunity to have fun with this thing for 2 weeks. I like to fix it and keep. thanks.

It sounds like the update may have gone wrong. You might want to flash it with the firmware with RKAndroidBatchUpgrade and try it again. Let me know if you need instructions for that. :)

Timoleon
04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Craig is supposedly putting out an update to Froyo within a month. Shad's also got an update to Froyo going. I'm testing it now.

It looks like the Craig Electronics Froyo update is out! :)

http://www.craigelectronics.com/site/pdetails.php?id=243

BlackEagle_NYC
04-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes, i need instructions for that please.

BlackEagle_NYC
04-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I got it ! so happy. Thanks for tip bhartman36. Now i want to update to latest version of system for this tablet. Just guess... is it Froyo ??? can you give me some info step by step.
Thank you a lot

bhartman36
04-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Yes, i need instructions for that please.

1) Download this (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z&can=2&q=) firmware.

2) Download this (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=2&q=) software.

3) Unzip RKUtils.zip

4) Uncompress CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z. (The Windows version of 7zip can be downloaded here (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).)

5) Rename CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3..img to update.img

5) Press Home + Power and at the same time, connect your tablet to your computer via USB. That should put it in recovery mode.

6) Run RKAndroidBatchUpgrade in the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade directory in RKUtils, and for "Image", put in the update.img file.

7) Press "Upgrade".

8) When it's done, and it boots back up, you need to go to aCCleaner and remove all the cache files and data files for all programs (just to be safe) so that the Android Market will work.

9) Without doing anything else first, reboot the device.

You should be all set with a freshly re-flashed tablet. :)

BlackEagle_NYC
04-15-2011, 01:22 AM
1) Download this (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z&can=2&q=) firmware.

2) Download this (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=RKUtils.zip&can=2&q=) software.

3) Unzip RKUtils.zip

4) Uncompress CMP-738a-update-2011-03-15-rls4.3.7z. (The Windows version of 7zip can be downloaded here (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).)

5) Press Home + Power and at the same time, connect your tablet to your computer via USB. That should put it in recovery mode.

6) Run RKAndroidBatchUpgrade in the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade directory in RKUtils, and for "Image", put in the update.img file.

7) Press "Upgrade".

8) When it's done, and it boots back up, you need to go to aCCleaner and remove all the cache files and data files for all programs (just to be safe) so that the Android Market will work.

got it successfully updated ! thanks bhartman36! is this latest update? what is Froyo ?
next step i like to install some stuff after that can i make my own back up to use for next time if have faced with this kind problem or need to refresh again?
i was using Winamp and a nice folder explorer.

irep146jesus
04-15-2011, 02:12 AM
Okay, now that the 2.2 version has been put out on craig website, does that mean it would be like their original version? not being able to access android market??

bhartman36
04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Okay, now that the 2.2 version has been put out on craig website, does that mean it would be like their original version? not being able to access android market??

I haven't tried it, but my understanding is that Google wants tablets to run on Honeycomb, so they don't (without hacking) allow access to the Market on non-Honeycomb tablets. So no, I doubt that the Craig update would have the Market on it.

tschill
04-15-2011, 08:36 AM
I haven't tried it, but my understanding is that Google wants tablets to run on Honeycomb, so they don't (without hacking) allow access to the Market on non-Honeycomb tablets. So no, I doubt that the Craig update would have the Market on it.

I have a naive question. Would I gain anything by updating to Craig's 2.2 and the rooting again with 4.2? Would that bring me back to where I am now. I am please with the 4.2 and the apps I have running on it.

Tom

bhartman36
04-15-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a naive question. Would I gain anything by updating to Craig's 2.2 and the rooting again with 4.2? Would that bring me back to where I am now. I am please with the 4.2 and the apps I have running on it.

Tom

Putting the Craig 2.2 update on the tablet would wipe out 4.2. If you're happy with 4.2, you should stick with it. Unless the new update from Craig is running the Market, there's nothing to be gained by putting it on.

mechanics200
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM
One additional question about the 2.2 firmware. Other than having flash what other benefits will updating to 2.2 have to the user?

cellosweetie89
04-15-2011, 11:53 AM

3) Unzip RKUtils.zip

7) Press "Upgrade".

i did everything until i got to the batch upgrade...when i go to upgrade the image file, it tells me "No device existed, stop upgrade!" what should i do about that??

and how can i uncompress the image file, because maybe i didnt do that step right either -___-

irep146jesus
04-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Ok this completely sucks. you were right. I tried it because I was so excited. Its sooo slow, no market, internet browser is having some technical difficulties. I really want 2.2... guess i will have to be patient for a stable rooted version.

irep146jesus
04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh not to mention it didnt include the phone dialer. i actually make calls on this tablet! Lol. so i found myself just going back to 4.3 which is way cooler

bhartman36
04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
i did everything until i got to the batch upgrade...when i go to upgrade the image file, it tells me "No device existed, stop upgrade!" what should i do about that??

and how can i uncompress the image file, because maybe i didnt do that step right either -___-

You need to find the 7zip program for your platform. Are you using Windows? When you run the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade software, you have to make sure your device is in recovery mode. Make sure you're pressing Power + Home when you plug it in. (Also, try doing it with the power switch off. That might make a difference.)

cellosweetie89
04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
:help:I have the 7zip program for windows...i extract the image file from the folder...my problem is, after watching a video on how to root it, that when i plug in the tablet, holding down power and home, the upgrader doesn't recognize my tablet...the 1box doesn't turn green at all...how can i fix that?:help:

cellosweetie89
04-15-2011, 02:30 PM
You need to find the 7zip program for your platform. Are you using Windows? When you run the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade software, you have to make sure your device is in recovery mode. Make sure you're pressing Power + Home when you plug it in. (Also, try doing it with the power switch off. That might make a difference.)
I have 7zip for windows...i extract the image file from the folder...my problem is, now that i saw a video on how to root it, that when i plug in my tablet, holding down power and home, the upgrader doesn't recognize my tablet...the 1box doesn't turn green...how can i fix that??

cellosweetie89
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
oh and i installed the drivers successfully as well, in case u were wondering...my computer recognizes the device, but the upgradr does not, even after holding down the buttons for over 5 mins...

bhartman36
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I have 7zip for windows...i extract the image file from the folder...my problem is, now that i saw a video on how to root it, that when i plug in my tablet, holding down power and home, the upgrader doesn't recognize my tablet...the 1box doesn't turn green...how can i fix that??

What I would do is close the upgrade program, unplug the device, plug it in again holding down Home + Power, and then launch the program. See if that works.

Also, check in Settings to make sure you're not in Host mode. I don't think it'll work if you're in Host mode before you turn it off.

Also, if you want, you can post a message to the SlateDroid thread. Look on SlateDroid for cmp738a.

Timoleon
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Froyo installed here w/no problem using the stock Craig Electronics directions on the website. Seems to be nice & bright & fast, and Kindle is downloading books properly again.:thumbsup: Nice little tablet.

bhartman36
04-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Froyo installed here w/no problem using the stock Craig Electronics directions on the website. Seems to be nice & bright & fast, and Kindle is downloading books properly again.:thumbsup: Nice little tablet.

Does the stock software support the Market now? Last time I used the stock firmware, I couldn't get that working.

cellosweetie89
04-16-2011, 01:27 AM
well ive tried unplugging the device and plugging it back in, starting up the upgrade and i still get nothing...i cant access anything on my tablet...once i unlock the screen it gives me that message "sorry! the process android.process.acore has unexpectedly..." and when i press force close it just keeps coming back...so if it is in host mode, i cant get it out of host mode...i'll check out the slatedroid thread also :)

bhartman36
04-16-2011, 09:41 AM
well ive tried unplugging the device and plugging it back in, starting up the upgrade and i still get nothing...i cant access anything on my tablet...once i unlock the screen it gives me that message "sorry! the process android.process.acore has unexpectedly..." and when i press force close it just keeps coming back...so if it is in host mode, i cant get it out of host mode...i'll check out the slatedroid thread also :)

Check out this tutorial (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/), too. It may help you.

cellosweetie89
04-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Check out this tutorial (http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/), too. It may help you.
thanx for the tutorial...but it still didn't work...like i said my problem is when i plug in the tablet to my computer, i wait for the 1box to turn green and it doesn't turn green at all...and my computer recognizes my tablet, its just the upgrader that doesn't...

irep146jesus
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Does the stock software support the Market now? Last time I used the stock firmware, I couldn't get that working.

no it didnt include market. i posted my review on page 18 lol

bhartman36
04-16-2011, 01:31 PM
thanx for the tutorial...but it still didn't work...like i said my problem is when i plug in the tablet to my computer, i wait for the 1box to turn green and it doesn't turn green at all...and my computer recognizes my tablet, its just the upgrader that doesn't...

Have you tried clicking on the Upgrade button w/o the box turning green? That's really the only thing I can think of, unless you got a bad tablet somehow. You might have luck asking at SlateDroid, too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but that problem stumps me. :(

Anyone else have a suggestion?? :help:

bhartman36
04-16-2011, 01:32 PM
no it didnt include market. i posted my review on page 18 lol

Yeah, you did. Sorry. :)

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be as good as the custom firmware. It's hard to blame them, though. They're kind of bound by contracts not to put Market on the tablet themselves.

Katie1
04-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Will this be something a NonComputer person can use Straight out of the Box....Without all the changes?? BTW what is Market? My idea of Market is which store to buy groceries in LOL

bhartman36
04-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Will this be something a NonComputer person can use Straight out of the Box....Without all the changes?? BTW what is Market? My idea of Market is which store to buy groceries in LOL

Hi, Katie.

If all you want to be able to do out of the box is browse the Web, read e-books, and use Google Maps, you won't need to do a thing to it (although your selection of e-books might be limited).

When I say "Market", I'm referring to the Android Market, which has a lot more applications than the SlideMe market that comes on the tablet.

Katie1
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
:thanks::thanks::thanks: Going to buy one on the 4th!

bhartman36
04-16-2011, 09:31 PM
:thanks::thanks::thanks: Going to buy one on the 4th!

Enjoy it! Let us know if you have any questions. :thumbsup:

cellosweetie89
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
yea ive tried clicking upgrade w/o the box being green...it just says "no device existed,stop upgrading"...thanx for ur help...i'll check w/ slatedroid again to see if someone answered...

jdp949
04-17-2011, 04:05 AM
I am new to handheld devices in general and have never used Android before. I have followed all the directions given in this forum to get my device running well and am able use marketplace and my apps well. Thanks for all the great information. One other question. The SD card, can this memory be used for apps, expanded memory for the device or only hold files like pics and music. It appears that I have used all my memory on my device and cannot download any more apps even though I have a 32 GB SD card in my device and the device recognizes the device.

Thanks in advance for any responces.

bhartman36
04-17-2011, 04:45 AM
One other question. The SD card, can this memory be used for apps, expanded memory for the device or only hold files like pics and music. It appears that I have used all my memory on my device and cannot download any more apps even though I have a 32 GB SD card in my device and the device recognizes the device.

Thanks in advance for any responces.

Under Settings, go to Applications, then Manage Applications. If you look at each application individually, you'll see which ones can be moved to the SD card. Not all apps support this, but a lot of them do.

jdp949
04-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I have gone to each application under "manage applications" and do not see anything under any of them to move to SD card and I didn't get an option to intall them to SD card at time of download or install. I see on some applications under "Permissions" that it states "STORAGE: modify/delete SD card contents". Does this mean this should be able to be put onto the SD?

bhartman36
04-18-2011, 01:47 AM
I have gone to each application under "manage applications" and do not see anything under any of them to move to SD card and I didn't get an option to intall them to SD card at time of download or install. I see on some applications under "Permissions" that it states "STORAGE: modify/delete SD card contents". Does this mean this should be able to be put onto the SD?

My tablet is charging right now, and I'm going to bed, but I'm going to research this in the morning. I'll report back. :bookworm:

irep146jesus
04-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Its so crazy. when i upgraded to 2.2 usings craigs file, and downgraded back to 4.3, my tablet now runs soo slow. it takes like 5-7 seconds for the app drawer to laod (which is a pretty big deal).. any advice anyone?

bhartman36
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM

Sorry. You're right. There's no setting on the tablet to move to SD card. I was thinking of my phone, which is running Froyo. From what I can see, there's no way to run an app from the SD card without Froyo.

firecoral
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi Bhartman.. I loaded image and cleared chach/data per instructions. Device rebooted OK. But I'm trying to access market (via new market icon on home page) and I can't register the device. It says no reliable connection can be established with google servers. Do I need to be doing this over a wireless network? - I'm connected now via wi-fi only. Tnx for any help.. Jim

bhartman36
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Bhartman.. I loaded image and cleared chach/data per instructions. Device rebooted OK. But I'm trying to access market (via new market icon on home page) and I can't register the device. It says no reliable connection can be established with google servers. Do I need to be doing this over a wireless network? - I'm connected now via wi-fi only. Tnx for any help.. Jim

Hi, firecoral.

Wifi is all you need. There's no way to connect to a cellular network without tethering, as far as I know. (Theoretically, you could plug a cellular modem into the USB port, but I'm not sure if anyone's tried that yet.)

I think the first thing you should try is disabling the Wifi connection then enabling it again. That sometimes works for me. It could also be a problem w/ Google's servers, but I don't know if they're having trouble with them right now or not.

firecoral
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Tnx Bhartman36!! Working great now! Firecoral

bhartman36
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Tnx Bhartman36!! Working great now! Firecoral

Glad you got it working! :thumbsup:

roc
04-18-2011, 06:49 PM
After a month plus with mine, I gave up on this otherwise great unit (for the money) when even the 2.2 update did not help it connect with my WPA AP's at home. If anything, it was even less able to connect.

I have connected a dozen or more different devices to the AP's including other Android tablets, so there was something not right about this Craig (and the one I exchanged for it - bad batch at that store?). It had been doing decently with my one WEP AP, but even that connection had become unreliable in the last week or so.

Back it went to CVS. I will be checking out other low-to-midrange units as they proliferate. Good luck to the rest of y'all with yours.
:(

bhartman36
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
After a month plus with mine, I gave up on this otherwise great unit (for the money) when even the 2.2 update did not help it connect with my WPA AP's at home. If anything, it was even less able to connect.

I have connected a dozen or more different devices to the AP's including other Android tablets, so there was something not right about this Craig (and the one I exchanged for it - bad batch at that store?). It had been doing decently with my one WEP AP, but even that connection had become unreliable in the last week or so.

Back it went to CVS. I will be checking out other low-to-midrange units as they proliferate. Good luck to the rest of y'all with yours.
:(

Sorry you had that bad experience. :( I've heard some people have had trouble with the Wifi. I guess my needs in that regard are modest. But let us know what tablet you get next. Maybe the people still having trouble with the Craig can follow suit. :)

firecoral
04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Glad you got it working! :thumbsup:

Hi Bhartman - one followup question.. I see that I can access and download apps from the market using the Craig. And if I go to android market via my PC and login, I see correctly tagged all the apps I have d/l'd and installed. BUT.. I cannot d/l via the PC.. My account says there are no android phones associated with the account.. Is this what it should say or is something wrong with the Craig's registration? Tnx again for all the help to everyone about this cool device! Firecoral

bhartman36
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Bhartman - one followup question.. I see that I can access and download apps from the market using the Craig. And if I go to android market via my PC and login, I see correctly tagged all the apps I have d/l'd and installed. BUT.. I cannot d/l via the PC.. My account says there are no android phones associated with the account.. Is this what it should say or is something wrong with the Craig's registration? Tnx again for all the help to everyone about this cool device! Firecoral

Hi, firecoral.

That's normal. You can't download from a PC (from what i understand, anyway). You can only download apps from the Android Market to a device already registered with it (e.g., the Craig tablet or an Android phone).

tipstir
04-19-2011, 05:01 AM
What did me in was the Panel and Craig CEO thinks this is okay!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/206848_10150146117037949_579882948_6809880_2615324 _n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/206643_10150142856667949_579882948_6778326_2739280 _n.jpg

Final overclock speed results.. CM highest I got..

Katie1
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
When I had my Nooks they wouldnt Connect to my WiFi unless I Unplugged the WiFi then 1-2 mins later plug back in! I have no problem with the Literati or Kindle. Or my Laptop! So when this happens its the fault of the ... in my case the Nooks Your case the Tablet?? Or is it a problem with my WiFi not being compatible??

tipstir
04-19-2011, 05:31 PM
WiFi in the Craig is 802.11N @ 40MHz that's very good. Mine always connected.

irep146jesus
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Does anyone have any solutions to why my tablet has been running soooo slow every since i upgraded to 2.2. and downgraded back to 4.3... it runs sooo slow its ridiculous. i have to wait just to go to the main menu.

b4ugobye
04-22-2011, 04:32 AM
I successfully updated to 4.3 and the market opens fine, but when I try to install an app it says "your item will be downloaded" however the download fails each time. Anyone have this happen and is there something else I need to do? wifi is connected and has great signal strength.

Cheeky1
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
^^I think you need to go in and clean all your caches.

b4ugobye
04-22-2011, 09:40 PM
tried that manually and with the aacleaner or however its spelled. Do I have to have a micro SD on order to download, can I use a usb thumb drive or internal storage?

bhartman36
04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Does anyone have any solutions to why my tablet has been running soooo slow every since i upgraded to 2.2. and downgraded back to 4.3... it runs sooo slow its ridiculous. i have to wait just to go to the main menu.

I'm not sure about this. How did you upgrade? Did you just copy the img file into the root directory, or did you flash? I'm not sure, but it might make a difference.

bhartman36
04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
tried that manually and with the aacleaner or however its spelled. Do I have to have a micro SD on order to download, can I use a usb thumb drive or internal storage?

I've got a micro-SD card in my tablet, but I'm not aware that it makes a difference. What I would recommend is to clear your cache again, then shut down, reboot, and try the Market then. For some reason, it sometimes makes a difference.

irep146jesus
04-23-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure about this. How did you upgrade? Did you just copy the img file into the root directory, or did you flash? I'm not sure, but it might make a difference.

i did it from the memory card.

jdp949
04-24-2011, 01:32 AM
is anybody else having issues with the Kindle app? It keeps getting an error and needs to force close.

irep146jesus
04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
so whats the issue with the (CMP-738a-Froyo-2011-03-07-rls-0.4.img) update thats on the download page? other than the "known issues list under it"... is it completely unstable or is it workable with? I just really want an upgrade lol.

Timoleon
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Went back to Shad's 4.3 from Craig Electronic's Froyo 2.2. I decided it looked and behaved a bit better --- for now.:)

irep146jesus
04-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Went back to Shad's 4.3 from Craig Electronic's Froyo 2.2. I decided it looked and behaved a bit better --- for now.:)

So true. Same here.

bhartman36
05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Hoping someone can help me here. Ever since the updated Kindle for Android software, I can't get books to load. It keeps telling me "Invalid Item". I even downgraded to the 4.2 firmware, and I'm getting the same message. I found what I think is an older version of the K4Android software, and now some ebooks will load, but not others. Anyone have this problem?

irep146jesus
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Hoping someone can help me here. Ever since the updated Kindle for Android software, I can't get books to load. It keeps telling me "Invalid Item". I even downgraded to the 4.2 firmware, and I'm getting the same message. I found what I think is an older version of the K4Android software, and now some ebooks will load, but not others. Anyone have this problem?

The only problem Ive had with the kindle software is that when i try and load one, it use to force close. So i uninstalled it and reinstalled it once more. It works now. Never got the 'invalid item' error though. Have you check the reviews on the kindle app to see if everyone is complaining about the same error?

tschill
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM

I just installed Craig's Froyo 2.2, and the Kindle that came with it loaded my books that I couldn't load before with 4.2. However, I can't install my most important apps, Sudoku 10000, and Aldiko. These three apps are the only reason I wanted this thing. I suppose I'll have to go back to 4.2 until someone successfully roots Craig's 2.2 and 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Any suggestions out there?

tschill
05-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Just starting to try this, but this might be of interest from Craig:

Good morning,

You may want to try rooting the 2.2 as well. Bellow is the link to the website that will allow you to download the rooted version.

http://www.4shared.com/file/ePVDuCI8/cmp738a_firmware22_rooted_mark.html

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:59 AM
To: Rolando Ochoa
Subject: FW: CMP738A

Customer Service Dept
Craig Electronics, Inc.
1160 N.W. 163rd Dr.
Miami, FL 33169
Ph: +1 (786) 364-4065

Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:01 PM
To: service@craigelectronics.com
Subject: CMP738A

I recently flashed my CMP738A with your Android 2.2 firmware. It solved one of my problems, in that it is supplied with the Amazon Kindle app, and it works well. However, it will not allow me to install 2 apps which I want very much, Aldiko and Sudoku 10000 Free. I was able to run both these apps with firmware 2.1, rooted with version 4.2. I have not tried to root the 2.2.

Can you help me get these apps to install. I saved the apps by doing an export and saving them prior to flashing to Android 2.2.

Katie1
05-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Well I Am Pissed! Went to CVS to buy the Tablet. They Refused to use my 25% Off Coupon!! Now I have to wait & go back tomarrow to talk to the Store Mgr! Sucks & wanted to play with it tonite!

Katie1
05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
HELP! How do I get this thing to be Reconised by my HP Laptop!!!! IT says USB Unmounted??????????????

irep146jesus
05-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Just starting to try this, but this might be of interest from Craig:

Good morning,

You may want to try rooting the 2.2 as well. Bellow is the link to the website that will allow you to download the rooted version.

http://www.4shared.com/file/ePVDuCI8/cmp738a_firmware22_rooted_mark.html

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:59 AM
To: Rolando Ochoa
Subject: FW: CMP738A

Customer Service Dept
Craig Electronics, Inc.
1160 N.W. 163rd Dr.
Miami, FL 33169
Ph: +1 (786) 364-4065

Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:01 PM
To: service@craigelectronics.com
Subject: CMP738A

I recently flashed my CMP738A with your Android 2.2 firmware. It solved one of my problems, in that it is supplied with the Amazon Kindle app, and it works well. However, it will not allow me to install 2 apps which I want very much, Aldiko and Sudoku 10000 Free. I was able to run both these apps with firmware 2.1, rooted with version 4.2. I have not tried to root the 2.2.

Can you help me get these apps to install. I saved the apps by doing an export and saving them prior to flashing to Android 2.2.

sooo basically you are saying you wouldnt recommended rooting with this 2.2... right?

Katie1
05-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Well they would Not except the coupon Said Company policy changed & I can only use it for Pic grrrr They the dang thing Broke afer 5 hrs! So Took it back & try again!

WTH I downloaded a book from amazon was reading it! The went to the store Tried to continue to read Now Getting this.....

INVALID BOOK... This book could not be opened. Please remove from device & download again.

HOW there are no directions!! HELP!!!!

stacey07
05-08-2011, 10:13 PM
i just purchased this today and the battery life seems short ??? whats your batterylife like and are you able to open and view vidoes on youtube? i tried to open this and each time it would freeze.any thoughts..thanks

bhartman36
05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Well they would Not except the coupon Said Company policy changed & I can only use it for Pic grrrr They the dang thing Broke afer 5 hrs! So Took it back & try again!

WTH I downloaded a book from amazon was reading it! The went to the store Tried to continue to read Now Getting this.....

INVALID BOOK... This book could not be opened. Please remove from device & download again.

HOW there are no directions!! HELP!!!!

The way I was able to get the Kindle software running was to update the Craig to the official Craig Electronics firmware.

I downloaded the firmware again from another post. It was hacked already and seems to run well. You also have to install the Android Market to it.

Here is the firmware update (http://www.craigelectronics.com/firmware_update/android2.2/cmp738a_firmware2.2.rar), for anyone who wants to try it. It works pretty well. :)

irep146jesus
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
The way I was able to get the Kindle software running was to update the Craig to the official Craig Electronics firmware.

I downloaded the firmware again from another post. It was hacked already and seems to run well. You also have to install the Android Market to it.

Here is the firmware update (http://www.craigelectronics.com/firmware_update/android2.2/cmp738a_firmware2.2.rar), for anyone who wants to try it. It works pretty well. :)

When you say it was hacked already, does that mean its different then the update on the original craig elect. website?

bhartman36
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
When you say it was hacked already, does that mean its different then the update on the original craig elect. website?

Yes, it appears to be different. For one thing, the Superuser app, which gives you root access, is installed in this image.

tschill
05-10-2011, 09:08 AM
sooo basically you are saying you wouldnt recommended rooting with this 2.2... right?

Actually it is working very well. My problem since installing 2.2 is Aldiko won't install. I am looking for help from both Craig and Aldiko.

I would like to learn more about the root mentioned above.

irep146jesus
05-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Actually it is working very well. My problem since installing 2.2 is Aldiko won't install. I am looking for help from both Craig and Aldiko.

yeah me 2

tnadritch
05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Just purchased this from CVS and having trouble connecting to internet. For some reason it has a Mac address installed bu I dont have a mac and I keep getting error messages when trying to connect.

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen?

Thank you for the help...sorry if this is not the proper place to ask this but I am new to the tablet world.

taosaur
05-10-2011, 08:03 PM

I haven't used either of these programs personally, but have you tried an app sideloader like ADB or android injector? You might want to look into them and see if they can help you.

tschill
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
I haven't used either of these programs personally, but have you tried an app sideloader like ADB or android injector? You might want to look into them and see if they can help you.

Thanks for the tip. I immediately downloaded 2 different sideloaders, and neither one could find the tablet (phone) I could find it, because I was looking at the directories. The ones I tried were Primitive Side Loader and Android Injector. These I found download links, but I couldn't find links to the ones you suggested. I guess our roots did not make the tablet look enough like a phone.

irep146jesus
05-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Okay..so are there any official 'stable' 'rooted' versions of froyo?

Katie1
05-14-2011, 03:28 AM
I gave up on mine! Took it back. Not Techy couldnt get any information on how to work it! Sooo Disapointed!

kathicake1
05-23-2011, 12:06 AM
FINALLY, I upgraded to 2.2, now I need help in getting flash.
I am technically challenged so I do need step by step instructions....

soricon
05-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I rooted mine following these instructions: Many screenshots and step by step instructions that made it easy even for me :)

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/05/how-to-root-install-custom-roms-and-add-android-market-for-cvs-craig-cmp-738a-75-android-tablet/

Last_of_the_PEs
05-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a nice "stepper" unit. You know you can always find a task to dedicate it to when you get a better one.
HDMI is nice, even traded for Bluetooth. And Froyo right up front is nice.
Good find!

LadyDrac
06-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi! I just purchased one of these tablets over the weekend and hadn't had time to do the update or reboot, when it started giving me a message: "Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I have shut it off, plugged it in, unplugged it, done whatever I can think of to fix this and nothing works. Any ideas? I'm new to all this stuff and have no "programming" experience whatsoever! :-( PLEASE HELP?!?

bhartman36
06-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi! I just purchased one of these tablets over the weekend and hadn't had time to do the update or reboot, when it started giving me a message: "Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I have shut it off, plugged it in, unplugged it, done whatever I can think of to fix this and nothing works. Any ideas? I'm new to all this stuff and have no "programming" experience whatsoever! :-( PLEASE HELP?!?

If you haven't done anything at all to the unit and it's giving you that error message, the best thing you can probably do is flash the memory with the update.

Try this link (http://www.4shared.com/file/ePVDuCI8/cmp738a_firmware22_rooted_mark.html) with the rooted version of the firmware.

carld
06-13-2011, 03:52 AM

Since you just bought it, I'd suggest taking it back and exchanging it for another unit. It's possible that it was shipped defective from the factory and that it will never work exactly right.

LadyDrac
06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Many thanks to Bhartman36 and Carld; I took the original unit back and was fortunate enough that the CVS had one unit left! I'll try loading the update on that one and, hopefully, all will go smoothly. Thanks again for all your help!

bhartman36
06-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Many thanks to Bhartman36 and Carld; I took the original unit back and was fortunate enough that the CVS had one unit left! I'll try loading the update on that one and, hopefully, all will go smoothly. Thanks again for all your help!

Hope it worked for you. :)

Ditchleyportrait
06-17-2011, 02:04 AM
wow this is really cool. only a hundred dollars?! all that crap i bought at cvs at that price!! :cry:

bhartman36
06-17-2011, 02:06 AM
wow this is really cool. only a hundred dollars?! all that crap i bought at cvs at that price!! :cry:

It's a pretty cool device. :) I even got a roll-up keyboard for it on Ebay for < $10, so I can type on it when I want to write longer things. (I'd be cautious with that, though. The first such keyboard I bought didn't work.)

bhartman36
06-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Went to my local (across the street) CVS yesterday, and they didn't have any of the tablets. I looked on the website, and I didn't see it there, either, even though I could still see the LookBook and that cheap "netbook" they were selling.

MicDizzle2
06-24-2011, 07:57 AM
All of them are like that until you root them go on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5c60FZSWBY&feature=youtube_gdata_player to root it.

irep146jesus
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Lol! Thats funny..

irep146jesus
06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
You know, i find that for some reason 2.2 just isnt pleasing me. Too many errors. Less apps. I just been sticking with 4.3. I want 2.2 but i had a hard time with it. Maybe its the tablet.?

thatguruguy
06-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Has anyone tried to get ubuntu running on this thing? Any luck?

Katie1
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I just returned for my local CVS The CRAIG Tablet is on SALE until Sat 7/16 for $79.99!!!

bhartman36
07-15-2011, 01:46 AM
I just returned for my local CVS The CRAIG Tablet is on SALE until Sat 7/16 for $79.99!!!

Very cool. :)

linter
07-19-2011, 02:35 PM
no longer on sale, i'm told, and they're no longer going to be sold. local cvs has a few in the back room. told me the price was 100. i offered 80, since they were in the back room and no one else was going to buy them. sold. i might pick up two or three in case the first one is a dud. return the ones i don't open or use.

question: what tests, etc can i do right out of the box to see if it's a good un or a bad un?

thanks!

Katie1
07-19-2011, 04:30 PM
My CVS Still has them on the Shelf! Nothing about them being Disc.. But if you talked yours into the $80 Price tag even After the sale More Power to U!! Just Remember Disc items CANT be Returned! I going to check mine & see if they go Cheaper LOL

linter
07-20-2011, 12:08 PM
well, i hope they will take em back, because i might need to return em. i posted this on another forum but thought i might try it here too:

for the life o me i can't figure out how to set the time / date and make it stick. every time i change the settings and reboot, it comes up as some 7 pm in 1969. yetch. i've tried setting it manually, but it changes back that way too.

i logged into google, set my location, thinking that 'automatically' choosing date / time might be linked to that, but no go. nothing i do keeps the right time n date.

i actually bought two of these tabs yesterday figuring one might be defective and i'd return it. after having the time date problem with one of them, i tried the other. same thing.

now i'm beginning to think it's me. can you help?

Katie1
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
1st pick Time Zone [I live in WV so the closest was NY time]
2nd pick DATE
3rd pick TIME
that should work....took me 10 Times before I figured it out LOL

linter
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
nope, didn't work. here's what i did: took it off automatic. set time zone, set date, set time. left it on manual. went back to main screen, fooled around for a minute, held the power switch down, powered the tablet off, rebooted ... came it up as being 7:02 pm on December 31, 1969. arggg!

any other thoughts? maybe i should install the official craig update?

p.s. i see you have a pembroke corgi. until recently, we had both a pembroke and a cardigan; the cardigan passed on and the pembroke remains ... one great dog!

thanks again for your help.

edit: i updated to v 2.2 and that did the trick. but what do i do now as a rooted rom or whatever? do you know?

edit v2: i spoke too soon. time/date was right but then i went and rebooted and lost it again, now can't get it back. guess i'm going to have to return these things. damn!

jd001
07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I just joined the forum so I could post this very big thank you to bhartman36 and the others who have provided so much help.

I finally found some free time today to install 2.1 with market access and it went very smoothly. The device just improved immeasurably. When I'm at home on wifi I pick it up as my first choice over my Samsung Fascinate.

Again, thank you all. :thumbsup:

Katie1
07-21-2011, 05:10 AM
linter you will have to read what others have posted. I am not techy....actually ended up taking the one I got a few months ago back. I have a friend that got one she had her son do some of the things in this thread she loves it [I keep asking her for hers & I buy her another one LOL] I hoping to try again Hoping to talk the son into updating it for me But I wont beable to get one til Aug. Just Hoping they wont all be gone ugh

Yes Katie is a Pembroke & Shes Fantastic!! She a Trained Service Dog!!

linter
07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
ah well thanks anyway.. just got back from returning em both to cvs. sigh ... may you have continued good luck w/ yours!

garyhgaryh
07-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Excellent thread -- I have an entourage pocket edge and have been trying to get Android Market Place to work. It runs, but I cannot download. It seems like I have to somehow link my google account to my tablet. For those in the know about this, how can I do this on my tablet.

Thanks,
Gary

Katie1
07-22-2011, 04:24 AM
litner....maybe you have better luck with a Coby! Walgreens has them & They are on sale for $149&$5 SH they only have them online!
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/coby-kyros-internet-touchscreen-tablet/ID=prod6053400-product

Katie1
07-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Could some one Please explain to me [unedu dummy] The Differences between... The Craig that CVS has & the Coby that Walgreens has! I want to try again to get a Tablet!

dwilder
07-29-2011, 04:00 PM
i need help fast. every time i copy it to the tablet it does nothing. which file? the second link? i have 7-zip and it does not give me the option to unzip.

DaleDe
07-29-2011, 04:19 PM
litner....maybe you have better luck with a Coby! Walgreens has them & They are on sale for $149&$5 SH they only have them online!
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/coby-kyros-internet-touchscreen-tablet/ID=prod6053400-product

Or perhaps an Archos 7" on sale the week end at Tiger Direct for $99.99 with a coupon code: http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/WEM2761.asp?SRCCODE=WEM2761FB&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2761-_-tigeremail2761

It can be upgraded to at least 2.1 and perhaps 2.3 or even 2.3 with based on some forum discussion I have seen.

Dale

dwilder
07-29-2011, 04:23 PM
anyone? this is supposed to be a gift for today and i need to put android market on it.

Katie1
07-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Go back to the beginning of this topic....there are directions for putting Market on the Craig

Katie1
08-05-2011, 01:37 AM
I Found a person that can do the hacking upgrades for me! So I go to CVS & they have DISCONTUNED the 7 inch Craig for a 4.3 inch craig!! I dont even think it has internet [wifi]??? Anyone know a thing about these??

MicDizzle2
08-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I Found a person that can do the hacking upgrades for me! So I go to CVS & they have DISCONTUNED the 7 inch Craig for a 4.3 inch craig!! I dont even think it has internet [wifi]??? Anyone know a thing about these??

They have Wi-Fi and pretty much everything any other tablet has(except bluetooth),but it's any good until you root it to Android 2.2 Froyo and download apps like dolphin web browser. Oh and by the way I'm typing on it right now lol.

Katie1
08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks! I thinking of going with the Coby...it has the 2.2 already on it! Not a bad price of $150 at walmart. Any thoughts on that tab?

eSheri
08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I have it and its great! Video & audio are awesome! I am a minimalist so this works great for me. I have nook and kindle on it. Though I think its a little heavy for a dedicated ereader but it works.

eSheri
08-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I have a coby kyros and its great! Video & audio are awesome! I am a minimalist so this works great for me. I have nook and kindle on it. Though I think its a little heavy for a dedicated ereader but it works.

Waynesize
08-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Just bought 2 of the Craigs today. One seems to work fine, the other will not start up. Goes to the screen with the little droid in the upper left corner and goes nowhere from there. Any ideas?

Waynesize
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Fixed it. Had to plug into computer and push the home and power buttons. Booted up fine. Shut it down and booted again to check. Seems to be working fine. Now, will make the changes to the software and get to using these things. Thanks for all the information here which will make these tablets much better.

RiRi
09-24-2011, 12:57 AM
I did just what you said and I did it a few times but I still can not download anything keep saying unsuccessful. Tried to clear the cache but it keeps saying there are no third party applications installed. What do I do now?

RiRi
09-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Did you reboot after you did that? I would go through it again and reboot, just to be safe.

I need help! I did everything you said but it says I do not have any third party applications so I can not clear the cache. It doesn't show anything at all not even a list of the basics. I have the Craig tablet.

bhartman36
09-30-2011, 07:59 AM
I need help! I did everything you said but it says I do not have any third party applications so I can not clear the cache. It doesn't show anything at all not even a list of the basics. I have the Craig tablet.

If all else fails, you can do a fresh install of the firmware. Look back in the thread for the instructions on how to use rktools to overwrite the firmware there with the latest firmware you downloaded from Craig.

lasombrs
10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I can't get my device to connect to wifi, even sitting next to my router when it says it has excellenct signal strength :( it says optaining ip address and then disconnects every time. This is my second unit as the first one i bought had dead bands of cells on the screen right out of the box. I was hoping its connectivity problem was because it was damaged. Any tips on how to get it to work?

bhartman36
10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I can't get my device to connect to wifi, even sitting next to my router when it says it has excellenct signal strength :( it says optaining ip address and then disconnects every time. This is my second unit as the first one i bought had dead bands of cells on the screen right out of the box. I was hoping its connectivity problem was because it was damaged. Any tips on how to get it to work?

My only advice is to turn wifi on and off on the tablet and see if that helps. Also, you could check to make sure you're using the right kind of authentication for the network. I've heard of wifi connection problems w/ the device, but I've never had them myself.

evj8386
10-08-2011, 08:51 AM
hey ppl!! so i got my craig 7 in tablet yesterday at my local rite aid for $99 and it works better then the pandigital novel I had (which by the way is a piece of crap). it has android 2.2 loaded onto it but i was wondering how could i get the android market loaded onto it. any suggestions would be great. thanks in advance!!

Cheeky1
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
If you read this thread, you should find all the info you need.

Katie1
10-15-2011, 01:41 PM
CVS has the CRAIG 7" Tablet $99!!!! Was just in my local CVS & There they were!!

You can now update them to 2.2 OS on the website!

The reason I took mine back this summer! You Need 2.2 to put ADE on it! So I am glad to see this!!

natetech
10-29-2011, 06:15 PM
I have the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS cmp738b
Not being diligent, I failed to notice that there were A nd B bersions of this tablet, so after I finally was able to root my device following the instructions in this thread, I was the not so proud owner of a $99 brick. I now have my hands on a new functional tablet, and am looking to be able to access the Android Market. Does anyone know where to find the means to root the Craig cmp738b

Tmarsden
10-31-2011, 06:19 PM
I have the newest cmp738b. It's a little different than the cmp738a. It has Amazon App Store, But I think it need a phone number to register as a phone and not just a tablet. Music Player is new but doesn't have shuffle mode. It has A security guard function but I don't under stand it enough except it lets you know if an app is safe.

coyoteliberty
11-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I just bought the CMP738b at Rite aid on sale for a hundred dollars which seemed like a nice deal. The only problem is that it does not want to connect to my home wifi router. It accepts the creation of the wifi account, shows signal strength as excellent and then informs me that the network is "not in range". Given that my router sits, oh, three feet away from me, I find that unlikely. I had to work to get a Craig customer service number and when I called, the responder wasn't even familiar with the tablet and had to put me on hold for ten minutes while he located a device in the office to mirror what I was trying to do! I finally did some research online and found that there are a good number of people having trouble with these units working properly on wifi connectivity right out of the box. (Looks like a manufacturing quality control problem to me...) but that one or two returns later, they get one that works finally. So I'm packing mine back up, returning it to rite aid and exchanging it, hopefully for one that works. It's a great deal, if I can get one that works, but it does bring to mind the adage about you get what you pay for.

Katie1
11-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Can you tell on the box weather it A or B?? Which is Best?

natetech
11-04-2011, 02:50 AM
@Katie1 - The box does show the model number as cmp738b. If you are looking to root, you might want the cmp738a, as img files are available.

lasombrs
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Hope you get one that works. I got all three that the only store in a 40 mile radius of me had and all of them had this problem. CS was also useless for me, they kept telling me my router was not turned on.... while I was telling them I could find the router and it had excellent signal strength.... way to listen CS rep! Anyway. I had to return all 3 and finally had to just take my money back has they had no more to give me :( I was excited to own it too, to bad.

I just bought the CMP738b at Rite aid on sale for a hundred dollars which seemed like a nice deal. The only problem is that it does not want to connect to my home wifi router. It accepts the creation of the wifi account, shows signal strength as excellent and then informs me that the network is "not in range". Given that my router sits, oh, three feet away from me, I find that unlikely. I had to work to get a Craig customer service number and when I called, the responder wasn't even familiar with the tablet and had to put me on hold for ten minutes while he located a device in the office to mirror what I was trying to do! I finally did some research online and found that there are a good number of people having trouble with these units working properly on wifi connectivity right out of the box. (Looks like a manufacturing quality control problem to me...) but that one or two returns later, they get one that works finally. So I'm packing mine back up, returning it to rite aid and exchanging it, hopefully for one that works. It's a great deal, if I can get one that works, but it does bring to mind the adage about you get what you pay for.

Katie1
11-05-2011, 02:29 AM
I had 2 back in May ... NOT Techy so I couldnt Root to get it to do what I wanted it to. But as I pointed out you can download the OS to 2.2 on the Craig Web Site which would have taken care on 2 problems I had LOL

WELLL Yesterday Before I went to CVS I stopped at Big Lots...they had the SYLVANIA 7" Mini Tablet for $100!! Got home Does almost Everything I wanted WAHOOO

Anyone Know anything about these tablets? What I Cant figure out is How for ME to see that my EX HD Is Connected! When I connect them I SEE NOTHING! BUT when I Disconnect I get Notice .... YOU NEED TO UNMOUNT DEVICE BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT! Cripe What am I Missing??

steven522
11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
First question: what is the format of your ext. drive? Android might need a specific format that your drive does not currently have.

Katie1
11-05-2011, 01:49 PM
PC ... is that what you mean?

Acording to the website it Will use EX HD! & I tested the movies I have stored in it by transfering different formate on to SD card & they play great! Just hate to think about How many that going to take for ALL my Movies LOL

miffedtabletuser
11-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Found this thread and many many others "out there"
re: rooting the cmp738A. I, and many of you newer posters have the B series.
There is an App to access the Android Marletplace on Amazon. I can SEE the apps I want to DL. It fails though, on each attempt.
Any info on rooting, or whatever it is we need to do for the cmp738B?

Have written CS at Craig to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Katie1
11-06-2011, 02:13 PM
To DL apps on Amazon you Must have a cridit card reg to your account. Even for the free ones.

steven522
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Large external drives use different formats (NTSF/Fat32) than smaller flash drive cards and/or usb sticks. I bought an external drive and had to use a utility to change the format so that different devices could all read the data properly.

Katie1
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
OK Steven thats beyond my abilities!

MV64
11-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Looking through a few pages of this thread, I didn't see anyone discuss the non-rooted tablet. Being so cheap, is it essentially garbage? What are it's limitations if you don't root it? Very curious since I saw this at my local Rite-Aid the other day.

roc
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Hope you get one that works. I got all three that the only store in a 40 mile radius of me had and all of them had this problem. CS was also useless for me, they kept telling me my router was not turned on.... while I was telling them I could find the router and it had excellent signal strength.... way to listen CS rep! Anyway. I had to return all 3 and finally had to just take my money back has they had no more to give me :( I was excited to own it too, to bad.

I think right after I returned my 2nd Craig due to the flaky wifi connection issue that I found some advice to try changing your wifi router to use a different channel among the 13 (or 15?) that they can use, to avoid conflicts with other routers/AP's in your neighborhood.

It helps greatly to run some wifi scanning software that shows other nearby networks, and which includes the channel info that the router/access point is broadcasting on. Wifi Analyzer is a nice Android app for that if you have another, working, Android device with wifi and market access (or sideload the APK from some other source).

If you are lucky, you can find an unused channel that you can set your router/AP to use (you need to know how to change your unit's wifi settings). If not so lucky, and there is contention for all channels (situation in apartment buildings I guess), then pick one that has fewest/weakest signals to see if that helps.

HTH, FWIW, YMMV ;)

bhartman36
11-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Looking through a few pages of this thread, I didn't see anyone discuss the non-rooted tablet. Being so cheap, is it essentially garbage? What are it's limitations if you don't root it? Very curious since I saw this at my local Rite-Aid the other day.

Your biggest limitation, if you don't root it, is not being able to use the Android Market. That limits what software you can put on it, since you probably won't find all the applications you want as APK files in the wild.

lingchi9
11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I also bought it.

MicDizzle2
11-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Checkout my unboxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stxt5Gy4Eak&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ravven
11-28-2011, 06:49 PM
hello everyone im new and i just got the craig/android wireless touch screen tablet.does anyone know if you can play mahjong game on it

bhartman36
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
hello everyone im new and i just got the craig/android wireless touch screen tablet.does anyone know if you can play mahjong game on it

I don't know if the SlideMe Market has a mahjong game, but I'm sure there's one in the Android Market if you root it. :)

elogirl
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Glad I could help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, or if you have trouble w/ accessing the Android Market.

I need help removing my network info from my Craig CMP738b. I'm returning it to the store and don't want this info left in!

Thanks in advance!!

kemp6619
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I had to first charge my tablet to at least 55% before it would connect.

kemp6619
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I can't get my device to connect to wifi, even sitting next to my router when it says it has excellenct signal strength :( it says optaining ip address and then disconnects every time. This is my second unit as the first one i bought had dead bands of cells on the screen right out of the box. I was hoping its connectivity problem was because it was damaged. Any tips on how to get it to work? Try charging it to at least 55%. That's how I got mine to work

nicabod
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Rite Aid had Craig tablets and netbooks on sale of $88, and I couldn't resist. They'd sold out of netbooks; decided to have a look at the tablet. They let me charge the tablet enough in the store to see that it basically worked; it did.

Being a total novice to tablet computing, I explored it for a while, and decided to try the unlock pattern instead of a password. More later about that.

The screen resolution is apparently 135 px/inch on one axis, and maybe 145 px/inch on the other; the pixels are not quite square. I love the high resolution! Screen font is excellent; looks very nice, and is very readable.

First, peeking in via Security, it's plain that somebody has done a lot of work; somewhere, there's a list of what's allowed, and the details are impressive.

However, I found that when I made a Color Note, I couldn't put it where I wanted, and couldn't figure out how to transfer it to my main computer. There were numerous such frustrations.

I sorely missed right-click menus!

Hardware seems quite decent (I have photos of the innards). I opened it up, but the latches at the end opposite the buttons weren't meant to release, only engage, and I broke a delicate rectangular loop.

Once you remove the tiny screws, it would be nice to have a Mac case cracking tool (no longer used?). The back side of some table knives is a long wedge that you can slide. Once open, do be very careful! The screen subassembly is amazingly heavy (maybe so it won't warp, even a wee bit, and maybe just for ballast, so the complete device will give no competition whatsoever to the MacBook (Macbook?) Air.

The screen subassembly is only just held in place by latches molded into the black plastic bezel; it comes loose too easily. If you do open yours, for Heaven's sake, be very careful that the heavy screen subassembly doesn't stress the flat flexible cables! They are durable, but don't press your luck.
(There is no connector; cable is attached at both ends.)

Two flexible flat cables connect the screen to the main board; the narrow one is for the touch sensor, and the wide one is for the display. The display flex cable has a major, serious rearrangement of the connections between the main board and the electronics inside the screen subassembly. Perhaps they chose to use a different screen, and had that complicated transition instead of a major re-do of the main board layout. (Neither is cheap...)

Even with poor vision (mine's OK, if I don't sit in front of a CRT too much!),
it's really easy to see the Rockchip CPU. The circuit board looks quite decent; not junk. The small wireless board is separate, with an antenna pattern etched onto its circuit board.

The Li battery takes up about 60% or so of the total "footprint"; it's to the left, landscape, mechanical buttons to the right. The main board is maybe 1/3 of the total area.

With luck, the images will be placed where I expect them to go.

[Edit, after posting:
It was confoundedly difficult to review and post this. I couldn't find any link or text-area to post my personal introduction, but I might be over-tired. None of my photos appeared, and only a modest fraction of the text is here. I've saved the rest. I'm rather upset that I spent many hours composing (essentially) a good-sized article, and at no time was there any warning, that I could see, that it was too long! Apparently, about 3/4 of the message, and all the photos have been chopped off. I'm going to leave things as they are. I did save the whole text to a file in my machine, and the images are ready to upload again. I was going half crazy with the repeated requests to use the back arrow and reload; that did no good. I'm sorry, folks.]

Here's a view with the bezel (black plastic surround) removed, display just sitting on top of the rest:

The wee speaker (supertweeter size) is at the lower left. Along the bottom edge of the display, somewhat to the right of center, you can see the flex cable for the touch sensor.

===

Okay, next: Here's the whole tablet, reduced image. The underside of the display subassembly is plainly to the right; the pretty pattern looks something like galvanizing, a traditional zinc coating on steel that keeps it from rusting. The black part is a plastic insulating sheet so the metal plate doesn't contact the exposed complexity. The light metallic square with modest straight "wrinkles" is the Li battery; the blue, also. It's wide, and thin; typical.

If you feel the underside getting warm, that must be normal. However, it had better be the main board, not the Li battery! The three physical buttons are at the top in this photo.

The wireless board is small, at the left, just slightly more than halfway up.

It's easy to see the flat cables between the main board and the display subassembly. The touch sensor has only four connections, probably to each edge; all the smarts is in the electronics for it. Possible that it rapidly senses the [x] and [y] axes alternately.

===

Next image is most of the main board. I didn't reduce it, so that you can see lots of detail. (I hope Craig isn't too unhappy about this! nothing at all to be ashamed of.) No need to point out the Rockchip (which, btw, is apparently a Chinese CPU design (!), probably ARM-based.) The Analogix chip is a "low-power HDMI transmitter"; it must create the HDMI output (or am I confused?), and probably drives the tablet's own display.
<http://www.analogix.com/news/pr/2010_06_24.html>

The hynix chips (one "upside down") are 1 GB dynamic RAMs:
<http://www.ic-on-line.cn/search.php?part=h5ps1g63&stype=part>
Looks as though the 738b has 2 GB of dynamic RAM, although there might be more on the underside; I didn't remove the main board to see.

The big array of 10 copper pads with a label saying "H27A", I would guess, is for some sort of factory test; it might possibly be a port for last-ditch de-bricking when all else fails, but that's just a guess.

I don't know which chip[s] is/are the flash memory.

I cropped the full photo severely to try to stay below the 1.5 MB limit (quite reasonable), and backed off a tad on JPEG quality. I tried to leave the ports visible at the very bottom, so you could see what's inside.

===

A different crop of the same image ("w" suffix) shows the wireless transceiver; the sticky black cloth tape on the left covers wiring to keep it in place; it might also conceal something underneath, but I doubt that that's important. The odd square-cornered meandering trace at the right just about has to be the antenna.

===

The whole batch of electronics is in the next photo, much reduced. You can see the blue plastic sheet on the Li battery.

nicabod
12-09-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm sorry, folks; being over-tired is no way to be kindly. It also skews one's judgement badly; this was awfully long (iirc, 16.5 kB.)

I'll try to come back in a day or two to see whether there are any more messages -- whether anybody wants to see the photos, or the rest of the message. (There are a few of the main circuit board (top side only!).
Actually, roughly half the text did get posted. Here's wishing you luck with your 738s!

nicabod
12-09-2011, 07:37 AM
BHartman36 really deserves lots of thanks, for helpful and prompt replies.

Mistwolf
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
i don't know if it's me but i'm having problems connecting the tablet to the internet... And does anyone know if the craig touch tablet is flash compatable....and 1 more question...lol i have to be sitting in front of my router in order to get a decent signal..is it just me....

thanks for all the help

John:help:

nicabod
12-10-2011, 10:30 PM
@Mistwolf: I'd love to have better words for you*, but I'm concluding that the Craig Android tablets are all "lemons". They are unfit for the general public; only talented geeks can make them useful for much more than showing the time and demonstrating resistive touch screens.
*Katie1 seems like such a nice person, hate to see her get caught up in this.

Others have had connects immediately followed by disconnects; in my case, IIrc it said šlooking for IP", which didn't make sense. (Doing its own DHCP?) It did actually send to and receive a few dozen data packets from the 'Net, but IIrc gave up soon afterward.

Seems to me that the software is created with no access to the full variety of our ISPs and wireless routers, and perhaps tested with few, if any competing wireless links. Even the OLPC* people, early on, had some difficulty with lots of machines close together. *One Laptop Per Child

I don't know enough about wireless design to tell whether the antenna scheme in a Craig 738b is good. It has to connect through the black shiny plastic, somewhat to the right of the CRAIG logo; the metal sides and bottom are excellent shields.
Might be a good idea to be sure nothing blocks access in that area. (I, too, was only about a yard/meter away from my router's antenna.)

Want to read some FAQs? Search with Bing, not Google! Google blocks just about all hits on Android tablet FAQs.
Google sells a package of accesses that Android tablet manufacturers apparently have to accept "as is" (not sure), and follow Google's terms. Those are the companies and organizations with icons on your home screen. If they gave access to FAQs, users might find out some things that would reduce Google's profits. Unfortunately, it seems that they have abandoned a "first, do no harm" point of view.

Craigs, other than the doubts I have about the wireless antenna, seem to have quite-decent hardware, especially for the money. Firmware is, partly, another story. Too few people (just one?) involved, inability to test in an typical US environment, Google's restrictions, et cetera. While a lot of it is probably excellent, some very-critical parts are nearly useless.

Of course, I could be wrong about this, some or all, but I've spent probably a hundred hours, mostly spinning my wheels in shredded Teflon, so to speak, struggling and learning. Fwiw, I was a midnight hacker in 1960, although away from computers totally between '62 and '81.

I surely hope not too many people "bricked"* their Craigs by trying to install the 738A firmware; it's not compatible. I was horrified when I read this whole thread, every message, wondering how many people expected that 738A firmware would work in a 738b. *Disabled -- as useful as a brick

(Almost) last, but by no means least, I think it's borderline crazy to expect non-technical owners to need to update all the firmware in a machine to make it really useful! In fixed-location computers, updating a BIOS, and some other firmware is usually done by experts, seems to me.

Anybody want photos of the innards? I hesitate to post the rest of my text; it just seems unfair. I would be sure to include all remarks for the photos, if they're not already posted. Not totally sure I still have the rest of the text, either...

Good luck, folks! Do think about keeping yours, hoping that Craig will get its act together.

Whether Exalted Greed is at the root of the proliferation of Android (and other) tablets is the root cause, I'm not certain, but it's likely.

P.S.: What the heck is this? Just above this text-entry field, it says, "Logged in as Nicabod". When I try to preview, it says I'm not logged in!! All too easy to lose every byte of one's text in such a trap. Took a screen shot showing that I'm logged in.

Saved my text to the clipboard, logged in (again), and pasted it here.
Bummer!

I'm seriously considering buying a refurb. color Nook at a B&N store.

I do wish you well!
[nb]

Mistwolf
12-11-2011, 01:58 PM
thanks

Mistwolf
12-12-2011, 02:54 PM
anyway to boost the signal.....??

nicabod
12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
anyway to boost the signal.....??

I really doubt that a weak signal is the problem. The RF link probably works fine; it's the firmware (software) for Wi-Fi that's so unrealistic as to be useless. Sorry.

While it's quite limited regarding variety of functions, the calculator in the 738b is quite nice. Angles for the trig. functions are in radians, just about sure. Factorials are actually very closely related to the gamma function, which accepts non-integer values (and can't evaluate negative integers).

I'm hoping that Craig will provide an update for the 738b, but am not going to hold my breath.

This thread seems almost dead...

Good luck, everybody!

Katie1
12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
@Mistwolf: I'd love to have better words for you*, but I'm concluding that the Craig Android tablets are all "lemons". They are unfit for the general public; only talented geeks can make them useful for much more than showing the time and demonstrating resistive touch screens.
*Katie1 seems like such a nice person, hate to see her get caught up in this.:thanks::thanks::thanks: I TRY to be nice!

I had 1 back in May 2011 ... I kept it 2 days trying to figure it out! Only thing I figure is If You cant Root it is Junk! & If you can read Chinese you SOL for getting any help! I never found any English instruction on the Craig & How to do different things Right Out of the Box!

BTW the one thing mine did right was connect to WiFi LOL I had problems with 2 Nooks that wouldnt stay connected to WiFi...found out they were Defective! So I suggest you return the Craig & try another one!

:xmas:Happy Holidays!

Rebecca1971
12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi all, I'm asking this question for a friend who just bought a Craig tablet at CVS and cannot access the internet/get on line. Neither of us are "techies" at ALL! I guess my first question is, does she need her own router to use this tablet? She was under the impression that since it was/is "wifi", she did not need a personal router in her home...Any help is greatly appreciated. You all seem very knowledgable, and I apologize in advance for my lack of it! Thank You!!!!

Katie1
12-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes she needs WiFi at home! She can go to FREE WiFi places to use it...Like Mc Donalds. But its not like a cell phone where you can get in air OR she can connect to a computer to sideload information when home.

Rebecca1971
12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes she needs WiFi at home! She can go to FREE WiFi places to use it...Like Mc Donalds. But its not like a cell phone where you can get in air OR she can connect to a computer to sideload information when home.
Thank you Katie1.... So no router, no internet access at home...She thought being wifi it would pick up something.... So if she wants to use this at home, the only way would be for her to get some type of internet service w/router, i.e. Verizon DSL, etc., right...? Again, I know NOTHING about any of this.....thanks SO much for your help and bearing with my ignorance!!!!

DaleDe
12-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you Katie1.... So no router, no internet access at home...She thought being wifi it would pick up something.... So if she wants to use this at home, the only way would be for her to get some type of internet service w/router, i.e. Verizon DSL, etc., right...? Again, I know NOTHING about any of this.....thanks SO much for your help and bearing with my ignorance!!!!

There is only a need for a high speed Internet connection such as Cable or DSL. What is she using at home today to reach the Internet on her home computer? You can buy a wireless router to insert between the computer and the Internet cable. A wireless router is less that $30 these days when you catch one on Sale. Of course there are lots of wireless connection available at coffee shops and fast food place and even some libraries. Wi-Fi is a local access that generally covers 1 building, house.

Dale

Rebecca1971
12-19-2011, 04:57 PM
There is only a need for a high speed Internet connection such as Cable or DSL. What is she using at home today to reach the Internet on her home computer? You can buy a wireless router to insert between the computer and the Internet cable. A wireless router is less that $30 these days when you catch one on Sale. Of course there are lots of wireless connection available at coffee shops and fast food place and even some libraries. Wi-Fi is a local access that generally covers 1 building, house.

Dale
Hi Dale, thank you! She doesn't have a home computer, nothing. That's why she bought the tablet on sale, etc, thinking since it was WiFi she could use at home. Again, I know nothing about this....so bear with me. Does she need to have a home computer for this to work at home??? And it sounds like you're saying she absolutely needs a router and some type of internet service, ie. DSL or cable....???? Otherwise, there's no getting on line with the tablet, unless at WiFi places you mentioned above??? Thank you SO much Dale, you're information and help is truly appreciated!!! Rebecca

Katie1
12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
She Cant use it at home to WEB search Unless she pays for internet service & has WiFi Router. She Can got to FREE WiFi places & get on web....Download eBooks/games etc that she Can play & read at home. Does she have Cable or a Landline Phone at home? She can call them to see what the cheepest internet is in her area. BUT she will still need to buy a wireless router. WHY did she buy a tablet? What was she planning on using it for? This may help us give options! IF it is for eBooks she may want to return it & get an eReader like a Kindle that has 3G. 3G is the eReaders way to go online LIKE a cell phone! No Internet needed. Just a great location so you recieve Cell Phone signals!

Rebecca1971
12-20-2011, 07:17 AM
She Cant use it at home to WEB search Unless she pays for internet service & has WiFi Router. She Can got to FREE WiFi places & get on web....Download eBooks/games etc that she Can play & read at home. Does she have Cable or a Landline Phone at home? She can call them to see what the cheepest internet is in her area. BUT she will still need to buy a wireless router. WHY did she buy a tablet? What was she planning on using it for? This may help us give options! IF it is for eBooks she may want to return it & get an eReader like a Kindle that has 3G. 3G is the eReaders way to go online LIKE a cell phone! No Internet needed. Just a great location so you recieve Cell Phone signals!
Thanks Katie! She just wanted to be able to access email and the internet, that's really it, just to keep in touch w/friends thru email mainly, and again, search internet for things etc. Thank you both for all of your help! If you have any other ideas, etc. by all means please let me know. I've passed the info on to her about needing internet service/router at home to work, etc. Again, thank you, thank you!!! You guys are great here, so glad I found this site!!!!

benton5
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Hello, I recently purchased the tablet also from cvs for my son, but we are unable to get passed the green android. Any suggestions on how to operate the tablet will be helpful.
Thanks!

tschill
12-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Does anyone know how to do all this on the 738B without risking making a small table ornament?

hillwmj
12-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Just bought one today at a local CVS and it was bricked out tf the box. If I any of my stores nearby has stock left, I will charge that up and review.

LawyerLady1
12-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Can you please help me with the Wifi? I just received the craig tablet for my birthday and I can't seem to get connected to wifi; access the calendar to input my schedule, and can't seem to do anything at all with this tablet. I'm sooo frustrated... Please help if you can...Thanks so much

mechanics200
12-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I am assuming that you have a wireless router at your location. Among the pre installed applications you will find SETTINGS. Select that and go to the wireless entry and follow the instructions to connect to your network.

myrtle
12-25-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a windows xp computer. I am looking for something with a 7" screen I can use to watch movies on. I have never had WiFi or a cell phone. A back up device I can access the internet on would be nice but I am not concerned about at this time. I don't plan to use WiFi. I like my Ethernet connection.

Most of the time one computer is enough until somebody downloads a movie nobody else wants to watch. A portable device to watch the movie on would be nice but I have not been able to find an mp3 video player device that seems to do what I want it to do and has good reviews.

I live in an apartment so I have neighbors living on the other side of my wall. Do I have to worry about this thing accidentally trying to access my neighbors WiFi? Can you turn the WiFi off? Can I access the internet through the usb connection? Do you have to connect the device to the internet to upgrade it? Can I download updates to my computer and then transfer to the device? Can I connect to my computer using the usb connection and drop and drag the movie into the device?

mandlebomb
12-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I hear people talking about rooting the android. What are the benefits? I also bought a Craig and I am having problems getting the android market. Is it because I didn't root the device?

mandlebomb
12-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

7" touchscreen (no multitiouch)
700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Mini USB and USB host capability
~ 6 or 7 hours battery life (depending on how I use it so far)
Speaker & Microphone
Micro-SD card slot (32GB max)
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer. :)

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet.
Hello, the android market. How did you get it on the craig? was it the amazon app store?

DaleDe
12-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Android market is not available except on Google approved models. Most of the cheaper Tablets do not qualify as they don't have the features that Google requires. However, that are lots of other market apps available that you can use. Sometimes a third party will create their own Android OS implementation that can be loaded on a device and this may or may not include a version of Android Market. Note that the port will have to be specific for this device, and I am not aware of any at this time.

See our wiki under Android for a list of available market apps.

bhartman36
12-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Hello, the android market. How did you get it on the craig? was it the amazon app store?

You have to root the device to put the Android Market on it. It's not something that installs easily, but it can be done. Read through the rest of the thread.

I have Kindle Fire now, and it's more capable than this in some ways (e.g., it has multitouch and more onboard memory), but I still consider this a fairly capable device because of the features it has that the Kindle Fire lacks (e.g., HDMI-out, USB host mode).

Cheeky1
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
You have to root the device to put the Android Market on it. It's not something that installs easily, but it can be done. Read through the rest of the thread.

I have Kindle Fire now, and it's more capable than this in some ways (e.g., it has multitouch and more onboard memory), but I still consider this a fairly capable device because of the features it has that the Kindle Fire lacks (e.g., HDMI-out, USB host mode).

Congrats on the Kindle Fire! How do you like it? I've been toying with the idea of getting one. :2thumbsup

SwiftHwk
01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok, so I've read through the thread, and I haven't been able to find anyone else having a similar problem. I have downloaded and tried using each version but I keep running into the same problem. It says "Cannot be upgraded when bootloader's major version is different! Please use PC Tools for upgrade!" I have attached a picture of the screen for reference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS-The one I bought already has Android 2.2.1

Thanks!
Brady

PInky1352
01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get my PC to even SEE my Craig Tablet? I wanted to update it's original firmware (I was having issues using the Amazon Kindle reader app, it just wouldn't work in the original version). I was attempting to follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere in this thread, and ran into a problem after my PC (running windows 7) initially DID see the tablet. I got the "driver was not installed correctly error message". Went back and tried to correct that error, and now PC doesn't see the tablet at all (Also tried on another identical laptop and have same issue).

Is it possible to blow the USB out connection on these things somehow?

barring being able to do the update THAT way, can I just do the update the same way Craig's site tells you to do THEIR newer update, by simply copying the .img file onto the SD card?
Their Instructions to do so are here:

For me, it just seems much simpler to do it that way.

BTW..at least with THEIR 2.2 version I can actually use the Kindle reader software :)

Thanks for any assistance!

bhartman36
01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get my PC to even SEE my Craig Tablet? I wanted to update it's original firmware (I was having issues using the Amazon Kindle reader app, it just wouldn't work in the original version). I was attempting to follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere in this thread, and ran into a problem after my PC (running windows 7) initially DID see the tablet. I got the "driver was not installed correctly error message". Went back and tried to correct that error, and now PC doesn't see the tablet at all (Also tried on another identical laptop and have same issue).

Is it possible to blow the USB out connection on these things somehow?

barring being able to do the update THAT way, can I just do the update the same way Craig's site tells you to do THEIR newer update, by simply copying the .img file onto the SD card?
Their Instructions to do so are here:

For me, it just seems much simpler to do it that way.

BTW..at least with THEIR 2.2 version I can actually use the Kindle reader software :)

Thanks for any assistance!

It sounds as though your USB driver went bad. If you go into Device Manager and see the device with a yellow circle with an exclamation mark, right click on it, remove it, and reboot. That should make the system look for it again and install the driver if it can.

PInky1352
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
bhartman36,
Just this moment figured out what the problem was. The tablet had the box checked in the USB Host Mode menu. As soon as I unchecked that the laptop recognized it and installed the driver immediately.

Thanks for the help!

bhartman36
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
bhartman36,
Just this moment figured out what the problem was. The tablet had the box checked in the USB Host Mode menu. As soon as I unchecked that the laptop recognized it and installed the driver immediately.

Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it working! :)

bhartman36
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Congrats on the Kindle Fire! How do you like it? I've been toying with the idea of getting one. :2thumbsup

I love the Kindle Fire. :2thumbsup

Truth be told, I was one of the people (and maybe even the only person, for a while) on the forum that thought an Amazon tablet was a bad idea. I didn't see what they could deliver that other tablets couldn't, and it's a very challenging field out there.

Well, as we know now, they delivered on price, and on content. There are a lot of situations where I like reading on my Kindle Fire just as much as on my Kindle 3, and the video streaming with Prime can't really be beat. :)

I think you really need to root it for the Kindle Fire to reach its full potential (where you can put the Android Market on it, install an overclocker, etc.), but once you do that, it's golden. I'm really glad I got it.

You can see my full Amazon review here (http://www.amazon.com/review/R15S540N5MPGT2/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm).

nicabod
01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
bhartman36,

Thanks for the help!

Seems to me that this was a rather-extreme example of an horribly-misleading error message. Imho, it takes a quite-good developer to create software that is very unlikely to create such messages. As I see it, after some years in this business, you develop some skepticism about error messages, and sometimes can suspect that they might be bogus. Anybody who's done a significant amount of programming might agree.

=+=+=

bhartman36 has been wonderfully helpful here; it would be wrong not to note that!

=+=+=

Local Rite Aid apparently got in a new stock of Android netbooks. i do hope people are having better luck with those!

My best to all,
[nb]

bhartman36
01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks, nicabod. :thumbsup:

I think you're right. One of the things you give up when you buy any ultra-cheap electronics seems to be good, well-written firmware. I never had the kind of issues with USB connections some people here are reporting, but the fact that the messages are in that state is disappointing.

agold
01-12-2012, 10:24 PM
try this for a modem: http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php
I have been using it for a long for my laptop.....anywhere

nicabod
01-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Just a bit of follow-up on my 738b: Had a horrid, frustrating time trying to make a wireless connection. Not sure, but it seems that the tablet and my router shouldn't both be set up to automatically choose a channel for the connection. When I told both the router and the tablet to use a designated channel, that seems to have been what finally made it work. Along the way, it put up misleadingly-worded messages (see a recent post about this). In particular, "Out of range" was absurd.

I rooted it (wrote to the SD card from my desktop machine, and the tablet, while booting, undoubtedly "looked at" the SD card to see if there was anything interesting; there was. Intriguing to watch the yellow messages. (It took many minutes!) IIrc, I used Flushs firmware; that got me far enough (semi-root, sort of) to download a true root-access file manager. Again, intriguing; I'm quite familiar with Linux file structure, and this was recognizable, but different in many ways.

I also added a market app., and downloaded too many interesting apps, but didn't install most (ran out of energy; I'm 75, and don't lead a sensible life (too dull!)). (My T-shirt should read "I destroy operating systems", with a mandatory footnote "only my own".)

Considering that the local Rite Aid might still have some Craig netbooks, I dug for a review, and found it interesting:
<http://www.5gadgets.com/2011/11/99-android-netbook/#comment-12> I heartily agree that what we paid for Craig tablets and netbooks is a good price for the hardware, but, Good Lord -- the software (especially drivers and the like) is an horror show! Otoh, the Android kernel and a lot of its "core" software is probably quite the equal of a good Linux distro*; I'm confident that there are lots of capable, responsible developers "out there". *I like Mint; am soon going to try the Cinnamon desktop. What's gone terribly wrong (and in a very competitive market, at that) is that Android is sometimes customized for a given product by adequately-capable developers who seem not to be able to test anywhere near adequately. Did Craig choose a good group of developers? Methinks, hardly likely. Unfortunately, I lost track of a fascinating post by a Chinese gentleman who is intimately familiar with what's going on over in Shenzhen, including the Google Android software package constrained by license terms.

I booted up earlies this afternoon looking for any posts by (preferably non-malicious) hackers who have done Good Things with the netbook. Tentatively, concluded that the $100 and my chances of having a netbook that would do what I hope (hopes are not high) just don't match; that money would be far better spent on an Arduino (although it wouldn't do what I want.)

Last call! PHOTOS, if anyone wants, of the innards of a 738b, incl. well-focused* hi-res shots of the electronics -- JPEGs of maybe 3 MB. If interested, holler; I'm set up for e-mail notification if anyone posts a reply here.

*Focus failures: I think it's quite likely that most digital cameras have "double-touch" (I think that's a term from pipe organ tech.) "shutter" pushbuttons. Gentle pressure closes one set of contacts; a harder squeeze trips the shutter. Autofocus and auto-exposure both happen (typically) when you squeeze gently. I suspect that oodles of people don't know this, and don't give autofocus time to settle; it takes at least
tens and often 100s of milliseconds for it to settle. A good, hard, quick squeeze gives shutter priority, in focus, or not. "Better to get that shot /now/ than wait for autofocus to settle" seems to be the thinking. (I'm not totally off-topic; I suspect that the photos at the link I gave above are rather-badly defocused because the author didn't know this. (He's not dumb...)

Last thought: What are the rates of returns on Craig Androids? How many who bought them are quite disappointed, but haven't returned them? I don't know. Now, off to take a peek at Brian's Web site.

[P.S. I proofread this, and when I tried to post, I was told to log in. I had already done so, I'm certain! Fortunately, I'd saved this text. Spending 3/4 of an hour on a long message, only to see it hopelessly vanish, is psychological torture-by-software that simply must not happen, but does. It seems standard, in fact. /end rant]

Best,
[nb]

nicabod
01-13-2012, 05:36 PM
"Bit" of follow-up? Not really; no. (No need to keep this message.)

Best,

[nb]

bhartman36
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Just wanted to thank you for having a peek at my website, Nicabod. :)

kizzle
01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
This is all new to me. But i got the craig 2.2. I have no home computer yet but there has got to be a way i can get android apps on tablet... Is it possible to download app on my phone and save it to sd card then put it on tablet or anything like that?????? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Cheeky1
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
You need to root the tablet in order to install the Android Market. Do you have any tech savvy friends with a computer who could help you out?

agold
01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Have to be careful when rooting.....most instructions are for rooting the Craig CMP738-A and not the CMP738-B. So check your model number before you try to root using the instructions in this forum.

bhartman36
01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
agold: Is the CMP738-B different? I don't have the newer one, but I thought the process was the same.

agold
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
The CMP738-B runs on the Android 2.2 and the ROM used in this forum (CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z ) is for use with the CMP738-A which uses Android 2.1 operating system.
What I have done is used my google account to access android apps from amazon and google because there is no update as yet for the CMP738-B. Hopefully Craig will put an update out there at some point.

ZevMudkip
02-19-2012, 06:22 PM
For anyone with the B-version: How did you get the root?

I went to this from the first page (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size +DownloadCount) but it did not work when I tried.

Help?

I can connect to the internet. I just don't have Android Market. I do have the Amazon app store, and that file converter...I think I'm going to fix it up, give it to a friend for what I paid (maybe a little more), and go out, and buy the Lenovo A1 which will have ICS by June they claim.

Skye
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
:thanks: I just got mine yesterday, and have just found this site. Can any of you give a gal help finding the sites and such to find my way around this machine? Only my 14 yr old knows how to work it-my sister said she would not do without hers!
thanks so much!
Skye:help:

kimmymarie.25
08-19-2012, 11:28 PM
I bought the tablet and it says that is rooted. I had a Samsung Droid Charge and am a little familiar with rooted android os. It will not allow me on market to download facebook, mail, etc. it says the apps are not compatible with the device. Firmware under setting says 2.2. Can someone please help me and make it simple?? Thanks!

cosgrove
11-22-2012, 03:15 PM
CVS has this device on sale for $78.88 at here (http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Craig-7-Touch-Screen-Tablet?skuId=887169) - if the embedded link wont work for you, the URL is:
http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Craig-7-Touch-Screen-Tablet?skuId=887169

You can cut that down by $19.72 with the coupon code:
BLACKFRIDAY

They'll add $2.96 in tax - but if you're an ExtraCare member (CVS's loyalty card program) you get free shipping. Total cost $62.12!

Just thot I'd broadcast this - I just entered my order. Who wouldn't go for a reasonably-decent tablet for 60 bucks?!

vanhenry71
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Newbie here:

Bhartman36;

I have a Craig 7"tablet model CMP741e
I think you posted a way to make this thing work smoothly, you altered yours. Could you please again tell me how you did that. I am peeved i cant get the android store on mine and do what I need to make this functional. Thank you much.

vanhenry71
12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
That is how my mum got mine for me. I had a toshiba tablet that was stolen, and this is the one she got me. I only need to figure figure out how to make it user friendly!

bhartman36
12-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Newbie here:

Bhartman36;

I have a Craig 7"tablet model CMP741e
I think you posted a way to make this thing work smoothly, you altered yours. Could you please again tell me how you did that. I am peeved i cant get the android store on mine and do what I need to make this functional. Thank you much.

The tablet I have is a much earlier model (the A model), so I'm not 100% sure that this will work for you, but the first thing I would do is go here (http://www.craigelectronics.com/firmware_update/android2.2/cmp738a_firmware2.2.rar) and get the firmware for it from Craig. That will get you as far as you can go officially. Now unofficially, you can root the tablet with these instructions:

T5c60FZSWBY

It's been a long time since I've rooted the tablet, but those are the instructions I remember. :)

Pushbuttonn
01-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Im having trouble slding the wi-fi burton to the on position and it staying on. After 5 - 10 seconds it pops off. Every time. How do turn it on amd keep it on?

Ladyinred827
06-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm having a problem with the sites that I have on my Craig tablet. Especially, known websites like Food Network. It keeps telling me that it can't connect to the site and the site may have moved. I know that the Food Network site did not move. I was able to get on to this site and others and now I get the same message for every site I try to open. Can you help me?

Sure. It's not too tough at this point. :)

1) Download the custom ROM here (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size +DownloadCount). I'd stay away from the alpha ROM. It works, but getting it on your device takes a few extra steps. The ROM you probably want is this one (http://code.google.com/p/cmp738a/downloads/detail?name=CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z&can=1&q=).

2) Uncompress the file and rename it update.img

3) Go into Settings -> USB Mode. Make sure Host Mode is unchecked.

4) At that point, your computer should recognize it as a drive.

5) Copy that file to the root directory of the device.

6) Unplug the device from the USB cable. At this point, it should start the update process.

7) Once it's done and rebooted, go into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

8) Press Menu > Filter > All

9) Clear Cache for - Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

10) Reboot Device

At that point, you should have a working tablet running Android 2.1, with access to the Android Market.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

bhartman36
06-21-2013, 02:09 AM
I'm having a problem with the sites that I have on my Craig tablet. Especially, known websites like Food Network. It keeps telling me that it can't connect to the site and the site may have moved. I know that the Food Network site did not move. I was able to get on to this site and others and now I get the same message for every site I try to open. Can you help me?

I can't say for sure, but that sounds like a problem with your wifi router. Try reseting your router and see if that helps.

bhartman36
06-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Im having trouble slding the wi-fi burton to the on position and it staying on. After 5 - 10 seconds it pops off. Every time. How do turn it on amd keep it on?

Does the button physically pop to the off position, or does the Wifi turn off? If it's the button, it sounds like a mechanical issue. Otherwise, it might be a router issue, or a defect with the tablet itself.

Sweets
04-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I know this thread is kind of old. :undecided Hopefully I can get ahold of somebody on here. But I am curious.. I was reading the thread and I noticed it was only for the Craig 738a/b. I've searched Google, Bing, and Youtube, on how to root my CMP748 and yet I couldn't find ANYTHING. I wanted to try your technique, but i don't want to brick my device. What I'm asking is will this root work with my 748? If not, would you know a way to get rid of the apps that come with the device? I'd like to free up some memory so I can actually play some games. :thanks:

Xanthe
04-04-2014, 05:28 AM
Go into your Settings and look for an Apps section. That's usually where you can delete applications on an Android device.

I know, though, that on my Nook there are just some apps that cannot be deleted that way, like Chrome, Facebook and Twitter.

Looks like you've got a microSD slot on it that will take up to a 32GB card. Maybe you can load games onto that.

bhartman36
04-11-2014, 11:19 PM
I know this thread is kind of old. :undecided Hopefully I can get ahold of somebody on here. But I am curious.. I was reading the thread and I noticed it was only for the Craig 738a/b. I've searched Google, Bing, and Youtube, on how to root my CMP748 and yet I couldn't find ANYTHING. I wanted to try your technique, but i don't want to brick my device. What I'm asking is will this root work with my 748? If not, would you know a way to get rid of the apps that come with the device? I'd like to free up some memory so I can actually play some games. :thanks:

You might want to try this method:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Be careful, though. The link I found this one through said that someone had bricked their device using this method. Obviously, I take no responsibility for the results.