Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
What's your experience with kindle books cover art?

I'm just wondering if most of the publishers even bother making a nice, grey-scale version of their books' cover art, like the one on the kindle 3 page on amazon, where it displayed 'the girl with the dragoon tattoo' (i think) greyscale cover art. i love cover art. i wish there was some way to tell whether an ebook has it. i wish amazon would at least require the publishers to do that. i don't know; at least for me it gives an extra 'oomph'. I know some people don't care about it.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Books have cover art?!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Doesn't downloading the free sample get you the cover art if it exists?

-HM
Hollow Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@diap: they should, right? O:

@Hm: hm, i'll check mine now. i never noticed xD

sadly, most of the books on my kindle app don't have any, and one was obviously not scaled properly. *sigh*
Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't spend a lot of skull sweat on it. if it has cover art I look at it once when I start the book, choosing; "go to" then "cover" to make sure that I am starting at the absolute beginning of the book. everytime I start reading again from that moment on, I wake the kindle and start reading spending absolutely zero time pondering the existence of cover art
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't spend a lot of skull sweat on it. if it has cover art I look at it once when I start the book, choosing; "go to" then "cover" to make sure that I am starting at the absolute beginning of the book. everytime I start reading again from that moment on, I wake the kindle and start reading spending absolutely zero time pondering the existence of cover art
well sure, but i figure for me it's part of the book and i always hope i get it XD

that said, i don't really get that upset if it's not there~ just something nice to have o:
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
@Hm: hm, i'll check mine now. i never noticed xD
The sample I downloaded had it, but it's simply text on a lousy checkerboard background. Not the real cover art.

-HM
Hollow Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Currently, the cover art is useless since you hardly ever see it (unless you bother to look at the first page). If you would have a bookshelf like overview over your books, it would be a different story.

But right now: couldn't care less about it.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I usually try to fix it in Calibre if I have a couple of minutes because I do like being able to see the covers when I browse through there.

As others have said -- on the Kindle itself it doesn't really matter. I really doubt the ability of these Publishers to come out with the "Enhanced eBooks" they keep talking about if they can't even get a cover picture into the file though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I love cover art. I'm sad that so many of my ebooks do not have cover art. It's always the first thing I look at when I open a book (taking an extra step with the Kindle).

Last edited by sakura-panda; 02-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I do find it odd sometimes that when you are shopping on Amazon that a Kindle book listing will show cover art that does not end up coming with the book when you download it (I am one of those that likes to have it there even if I only look at it once).

As a result, I end up being one of those that uses Calibre to find the appropriate cover art when I want it and even if it is the last time I look at it.

-Erik
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Almost every book I have on my Kindle includes the cover art. I do enjoy looking at it from time to time, and I always check it out before reading a book.

The ebooks that I have published include covers, although they're in color, not greyscale. I do lighten them a bit and adjust the contrast, so they will display better on the Kindle. Amazon encourages publishers to use color images. From Amazon's "Guidelines for Publishers":

"Use color images whenever possible and relevant. The Kindle reading device has a black & white screen today but Kindle applications for other devices, such as iPhone or PC, take advantage of colors."
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The books I have bought from Amazon just have generic cover art. Title, author and publisher on a grey background.

All of the books i have purchased from Baen have the full paperback cover.

Since Amazon's books covers are almost non-existant I guess that is why they don't have the screensaver default to the cover of the book you are currently reading as some have requested.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Books from "real" publishers always have had cover art, at least the ones I've bought from Amazon. I seldom buy "indie" books. I don't really care about cover art anyway.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To me, cover art is nice BUT it "wastes" storage space on my Kindle 3 so I prefer NOT to have cover art.
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote