View Full Version : viewing epub audio in a reader

shlomof
02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
hello,
after struggeling for wuite a while I succeeded in adding an audio file to an epub file, this way:

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.wav" controls="controls">
Your browser deosnt support audio files
</audio>

after i did thatI was hopeing that since I could see the audio in a browser I will also see them in one of the ereader software.

so...it wasn't at all like this. I'm now in a new strugle to find an ebook reader SOFTWARE that will suit
1. PC
2. IPAD/IPHone
3. Android

so far every reader I tired, didnt support that sound file. am I doing something worng , or just still hav'nt found the right ereader?

the next chalenge will be making that ereader software support chinese characters, which is also a problem.

I appreciate the help,
thansks,
Shlomo

Toxaris
02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
By default embedded audio or video is not supported in the epub specs. So, most readers will not display or play it.
Some players don't follow the specs, or at least not completely. In those readers it might work, if you can find the correct syntax. I think you might be able to do it in iBooks, perhaps.

Remember, an epub reader is not the same as a browser. An epub is not a full set of xhtml and css.

shlomof
02-21-2011, 09:50 AM
By default embedded audio or video is not supported in the epub specs. So, most readers will not display or play it.
Some players don't follow the specs, or at least not completely. In those readers it might work, if you can find the correct syntax. I think you might be able to do it in iBooks, perhaps.

Remember, an epub reader is not the same as a browser. An epub is not a full set of xhtml and css.

I do know that it's not supported in the spcs. therefore I'm looking specifically for the reader software that it does work, even if I need to add different syntax and make different version for every reader.

would like to hear more comments please.
thansk,
Shlomo

JSWolf
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I think it may work in iBooks.

Nate the great
02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
It might possibly work in calibre or another Webkit based reading app.

hard13
02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
i think you should try mp3 file format for the sound. wav basically doesn't support.

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.mp3" controls="controls">
</audio>

try add, autoplay="false"

shlomof
02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
It might possibly work in calibre or another Webkit based reading app.

but this could be that it's because i'm doing something worng. I'll change it to mp3 and see if it changes something.

thanks,
Shlomo

shlomof
02-21-2011, 10:43 AM
also, where do I add the autopaly=false ?

shlomof
02-21-2011, 10:50 AM
but this could be that it's because i'm doing something worng. I'll change it to mp3 and see if it changes something.

thanks,
Shlomo

changing this to mp3 won't help. I still don't even get the controls to be shown. I just get the text that it's not supported.

hard13
02-27-2011, 11:15 AM
<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.mp3" controls="controls" autoplay="false">
</audio>

remember you must convert to xhtml or html5
and try id to each audio tag e.g audio id="shlomo1" ,"shlomo2"....

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.mp3" controls="controls" autoplay="false"
audio id="shlomo1">
</audio>

support on ipad and iphone (ibooks)

JSWolf
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
That may not be ePub but instead iBooks. iBooks is not really ePub compliant and has a lot of stuff that's not part of ePub.