View Full Version : LRF Release to Open Source?

Timoleon
02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Since Sony has dumped LRF into the ditch --- why don't they do the world a favor and release it into the public domain? Most, if not all, of the Sony books I downloaded from the Sony Bookstore the last couple of years were beautifully formatted and a joy to read on my PRS-505. DRM is still unbreakable in LRF files, so many authors and publishers would be happy also (as much as I despise DRM).

It reminds me of OS/2: IBM dumped a perfectly good operating system, but never released it to open source (I know...licensing issues and so forth).

Pablo
02-21-2011, 06:03 AM
I believe you mean LRX.

HarryT
02-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Since Sony has dumped LRF into the ditch --- why don't they do the world a favor and release it into the public domain? Most, if not all, of the Sony books I downloaded from the Sony Bookstore the last couple of years were beautifully formatted and a joy to read on my PRS-505. DRM is still unbreakable in LRF files, so many authors and publishers would be happy also (as much as I despise DRM).

LRF files don't have DRM. Perhaps you mean LRX?

Timoleon
02-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes, of course. Sorry I wasn't clearer!:o
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the format is a good one, and it is a shame to have to watch it die.:(

DaleDe
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
There is plenty of documentation on LRF but LRX is for copyrighted books and they would likely get sued by publishers if they released a method of breaking copyright on existing books. The format itself does not half to die. Calibre supports conversion and other tools are available.

Dale

Timoleon
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
There is plenty of documentation on LRF but LRX is for copyrighted books and they would likely get sued by publishers if they released a method of breaking copyright on existing books. The format itself does not half to die. Calibre supports conversion and other tools are available.

Dale

True, but Kovid has deprecated support for LRF (I think version 0.5.14 was the best Calibre for working with LRF), and all things point to the format going the way of the dodo. :(