View Full Version : epub - DRM?

Murre
02-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm new to E-readers in the way that I never owned one.
Now I wanna start reading again but I wanna be able to take alot of books with me.

I found alot of epub books on the internet but I'm worried it won't work because of DRM.

I wanna be able to, whatever the epub is to be able to read it the device, is this possible?

After looking at some different devices the Nook seems like a nice choice, or the Sony.
Is it possible they will deny my reading epub that are sent via calibre if the have DRM protection?
The PocketBook 602 looks really nice too

wallcraft
02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
There are three DRM schemes for ePub. One is for Apple devices only. The other two are Adobe and B&N. Every dedicated reading device that supports ePub DRM supports Adobe DRM (this includes the Nook). All such dedicated reading devices have a license for B&N DRM, but most (Sony, PocketBook, etcetrera) have chosen not to support it for marketing reasons. So you can only read B&N DRM ePubs on a few devices, primarily those from B&N. In other words, the Nook supports the most DRMed formats.

Another option is to add 3rd party plugins to Calibre and strip the DRM on import to Calibre. That way you can even use a Kindle if you want, or buy from the Kindle Store and read on an ePub-based device. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for info about DRM issues.

Murre
02-12-2011, 10:04 PM
There are three DRM schemes for ePub. One is for Apple devices only. The other two are Adobe and B&N. Every dedicated reading device that supports ePub DRM supports Adobe DRM (this includes the Nook). All such dedicated reading devices have a license for B&N DRM, but most (Sony, PocketBook, etcetrera) have chosen not to support it for marketing reasons. So you can only read B&N DRM ePubs on a few devices, primarily those from B&N. In other words, the Nook supports the most DRMed formats.

Another option is to add 3rd party plugins to Calibre and strip the DRM on import to Calibre. That way you can even use a Kindle if you want, or buy from the Kindle Store and read on an ePub-based device. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for info about DRM issues.

Well, after reading some more I guess I don't specifically need the Nook.
Any reader that reads epub is ok :)
How do I know if a certain book is DRM-protected or not?

Runs4Brains
02-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

Murre, epub files are nothing but XML files and therefore are plain txt files. To determine if an epub is DRMed protected, you can simply open the file in any old text editor. On Windows, Notepad.exe will do the trick. DRMed epubs won't open.

NEVERMIND! I just tried it and I'm totally wrong. .epubs are binary files. Not TXT files.

wallcraft
02-12-2011, 10:13 PM
How do I know if a certain book is DRM-protected or not? Ebooks from large publishers in ebook stores almost always have DRM. Most DRM-free ebooks are from stores and sites with no DRM at all, for example webscriptions (Baen Books and a few others) and smashwords.

If Adobe Digital Editions opens as part of the download, it is almost certainly DRM-ridden.

Runs4Brains
02-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I think an easy way to determine if an .epub is DRMed would be to open it in one of the many free PC ebook reader software packages. If you didn't explicitly buy the book through that program, then the DRM keys would not be on your PC. Any protected files would therefore fail to open in something like Stanza or the Kobo software.

Murre
02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
I think an easy way to determine if an .epub is DRMed would be to open it in one of the many free PC ebook reader software packages. If you didn't explicitly buy the book through that program, then the DRM keys would not be on your PC. Any protected files would therefore fail to open in something like Stanza or the Kobo software.

How about Calibre?
If I open it in Calibre and I can read from there, does this mean I can transfer the epub to ANY device that support this format?
If trying to convert works is this also a sign there is no DRM?

wallcraft
02-12-2011, 11:35 PM
How about Calibre?
If I open it in Calibre and I can read from there, does this mean I can transfer the epub to ANY device that support this format? Yes. Calibre can read any DRM-free ePub and can't read DRM-ridden ePubs.

Note that even if you can't read it in Calibre, i.e. if it has DRM, Calibre can still manage the ebook. It can't change it to another format and it usually can't change the metadata in the ebook (but it can store different metadata in its own database).

Murre
02-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Yes. Calibre can read any DRM-free ePub and can't read DRM-ridden ePubs.

Note that even if you can't read it in Calibre, i.e. if it has DRM, Calibre can still manage the ebook. It can't change it to another format and it usually can't change the metadata in the ebook (but it can store different metadata in its own database).

Sorry, but just to clarify.
Anyway to bulk check for DRM in Calibre?
Don't wanna check every book one by one :(

One question, are there any device that can save words in a list?
Would be really helpful to expand my english vocabulary.

FF2
02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry, but just to clarify.
Anyway to bulk check for DRM in Calibre?
Don't wanna check every book one by one :(

One question, are there any device that can save words in a list?
Would be really helpful to expand my english vocabulary.

In Calibre you can either drag a book or books into it or use the ADD Menu item. Once in Calibre, you can Highlight/select one or more books (Control and click) or Shift click. Then press the CONVERT button. Without the plug-ins, the conversion of one or more books would fail. Those are drm protected.

Caltsar
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Right now the easiest way to get the most out of DRMed ePub files is to use the Nook. You can basically buy from any ePub store except Apple's. Otherwise if you go with a Sony reader or anything else that supports DRM-ed ePub files, you can buy from any ePub store except B&N's and Apple's.

Supposedly, once everyone updates ADEPT (Adobe's DRM), it'll just be an Apple vs Everyone Else (versus Kindle) divide on DRM.

EowynCarter
02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

Murre, epub files are nothing but XML files and therefore are plain txt files. To determine if an epub is DRMed protected, you can simply open the file in any old text editor. On Windows, Notepad.exe will do the trick. DRMed epubs won't open.

NEVERMIND! I just tried it and I'm totally wrong. .epubs are binary files. Not TXT files.It's a a zip file with XML inside. Open it with zip program ;)

Grimm
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Sounds like the Nook is your best choice. It's a very nice device as well. :)

delphin
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Just a few points -

Yes EPUBs can be checked with a simple text editor, but because epubs are actually zipped archives, you have to rename the .epub to .zip and then look inside the archive folder.

But as already suggested, it's much easier to just download Adobe Digital Editions, FBreader or the EPUBreader plugin for Firefox and use that to do a quick check by actually opening the file.

From the wording of the original question, it sounds like the poster wants a reader (perhaps from some shady country with no regard for copyrights) that will magically ignore DRM [you know like those nifty DVD players that will ignore region coding].

If so, tough luck Charley, there ain't no such thing!

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE DRM ON A FILE FOR WHICH YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL REGISTRATION KEY.

If someone were to just grab a DRM protected file from their hard drive and post it on the Internet, it would be useless to everyone who downloaded it, because no one can "crack the DRM" under those conditions, IT SIMPLY CAN'T BE DONE.

DRM uses the same AES encryption that the U.S. government approves for 'Top Secret' government files, so it can't be removed without access to the original Key File.

So it ISN'T DONE. Those who do post previously DRM protected books always remove the DRM first.

So this should be good news for the original poster, because unless he is downloading files posted by idiots, there should already be NO DRM on any of them.

Only the original owner can remove the DRM because they have the original DRM key.

It's conceivable that you might want to remove DRM in order to move a e-book that is legally registered on your system to another device for example, and this can be done, but you can NOT 'crack' someone else's DRM protected files.

So when you hear discussions of DRM here, it centers on how to achieve the most flexibility in dealing with legal DRM content on your own system, not how to "Crack DRM".

Reputable sites that have DRM protected content freely available, like public libraries, will tell you what software you need and how to register (usually Adobe Digital Editions) in order to download their content.

The trick is to get a reader like the Sony, Nook, Kobo, or about a half dozen others, that are compatible with Adobe's ADEPT EPUB DRM. (Actually, with the glaring exception of the Amazon Kindles, pretty much every major e-book reader out there now supports Adobe's DRM)

But once again, unlike those "Region Free" DVD players, or DVD players where they forgot to turn on Macrovision, there isn't any sleazy book reader where "they forgot to turn the DRM on".

Such a thing is not even theoretically possible, so I wouldn't hold my breath.