Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Are 'nested' epub files possible?

Taking my first faltering steps with creating e-pubs & want to gather several epub books together intoa single epub 'omnibus'.
Is this possible within the limits of xhtml & xls, etc?

To explain a bit further:
4 books, 'My Fist Book', 'My Second Book'... etc., each comprised of a variable number of chapters. I've got as far as creating epub versions of each one & the chapter list appears via on the 'Contents' option on my PRS-505.
So far, so good.
What I want to do is to collect the four books into a single epub. Using the 'Contents' option, I want to be able to skip to any book and open it, then via the 'Contents' again, skip to a chapter within that book.
I'm hoping that paging forward from the last page of any of the books should lead back to the top-level contents - the 'book index'. I don't want to be able to page forward from the last page of a book to the first page of the next.

Is all this feasible, or am I being too adventurous?
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can build an ePUB with multi-level contents where the top level is the book and a lower level is the chapters. I general when you finished on book using this technique the next page function would simply go to the start of the next book. The contents will skip to wherever you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc.eire View Post
...Is all this feasible...
No, not as you've described. At least with the real epub Contents structure.

You can do as Dale said. That is, you can have one Contents which has entries at multiple levels. The top level would be linked to each book's title page entry. Under each would be the chapters in that book. The actual epub file would be one long complete "book"

It would also be possible to insert eratz "contents" pages at the start of each book and manually list that book's chapters and manual create the necessary links. These would not be the "contents" found when using the reader's menu option to Go To the Contents but could be listed in that real contents page.

Last edited by dwig; 02-05-2011 at 04:39 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Ok & thanks...

In retrospect, a DTB version of an 'omnibus' by, say, a specific author would be like you both describe anyway
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote