View Full Version : NCX-pageList: What should it do?

hpstricker
01-25-2011, 05:07 AM
I wonder how I can make use of the EPUB/NCX feature "pageList", especially in iBooks on iPad: How will the display and look'n'feel of my EPUBs change in the iBooks application on the iPad when I include - as recommended in Apple's iBookStore Publishing User Guide - a pageList in the toc.ncx of my EPUBs (e.g. how is it supposed to change)?

What do I have to take care of (besides passing epubcheck) to achieve what? Especially the "achieve what" part isn't clear to me, is there a documentation, a specification, some screen shots, whatsoever?

I HAVE included a pageList in my EPUB, but it looks and behaves all the same as without it. So did I do something wrong?

Any help or hint is appreciated
Hans

Jellby
01-25-2011, 05:59 AM
It could be a way to include a mapping between the ebook and the pages in some printed edition... but I'm not aware of any reader supporting it (ADE has something similar, but it uses a different proprietary extension in another file).

DMSmillie
01-25-2011, 06:35 AM
That's certainly my understanding of what the NCX <pagelist> does, and I'm also not aware of any reader that currently supports it. Since it's included in Apple's publishing guide, however, it's possible that they have plans to make use of the feature in a future version of iBooks.