View Full Version : Book Designer Files and how to install — 2007-07-30 version (NEW)

JSWolf
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm a new Sony Reader owner and am trying to get the lay of the land with respect to content. Apart from the stuff on the Connect website, it appears that other formats out there can be converted to LRF. However, the various threads I've tried to follow here either lead me to some website in Russian or to blithe remarks about writing my own code, running various scripts or otherwise highly non-plug-and-play activities. Is there a way to do this that is relatively straightforward to folks who just use software but don't create it? I bet the answer is here somewhere, but there is an awful lot of chatter to plow through. Can somebody provide an update? Thanks.
Let me start off by giving a quick rundown.

There are some really good tools available for the Sony Reader to make content for it in LRF format. Right now, the two big ones are Book Designer (BD) and html2lrf. Pielrf (IMHO) still needs some work at least for Windows. But it can get there and I think it will.

BD is hosted on a Russian website. The links to get it are available someplace on the forum. You need the base install and the upgrade for it. html2lrf is part of Libprs500 and used to convert html to LRF. Once you learn how to format your html, it's not too hard to use. It's not a GUI like BD.

That said, there are other tools for dealing with manga/comic book scans and PDF files. We'll leave those for the moment.

You can purchase books for the reader from the Connect store, but you'll find it limited at the moment. If you have a Windows based computer you can go to Google and search for Convert LIT 1.8 and you'll find it. Then you can purchase LIT format books and use CLIT to break the DRM or convert to HTML. Then you can load the DRMless LIT file into BD and edit from there or use html2lrf to deal with the HTML code. Your choice.

There is NO true plug and play solution (IMHO). Every program for creating LRF requires some sort of twiddling about. Even if it's just in BD fixing what it things are titles that really are not. These tools help make the reader much better then it ever would be if all we had was the Connect store.

I'm attaching the two files needed for BD. But remember, the 2nd file while current can change at any time and not be current. So watch the forum to find out when it changes and what the new link is for the update.

1. unzip the file BookDesigner40.zip
2. Right click on th .msi file from the ZIP and install
3. unzip the file Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip on top of the files in the c:\Program files\book designer\ directory and you have it updated.

Now go read the forum and you'll find directions in various places on how to do what you want using BD and html2lrf.

If you still have questions AFTER reading the Sony Reader foums in their entirety, feel free to ask.

Jon

In case anyone has any issues with BD 05/30/2007, here is BD 04/12/2007 just in case. But if you install this update, you can replace the file clit12a.exe with clit 1.8. Just copy clit 1.8 over clit12a.exe leaving the name the same.

It has come to my attention that the upgrade for 2007-07-30 is not complete. It relies on people having gone through the upgrade path.. 2007-04-12, 2007-05-30, and then 2007-07-30. So what I have done is combine all three upgrades into one. I started with the earliest and added the others to it in date order. So now the 2007-07-30 update should be complete. So you can now start with the installer and then use this to upgrade and you won't get the error message that you cannot make Sony books.

If there is a problem, please let me know.

Also please go grab the Book Cleaner files over at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649

NatCh
07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Links to all the historical test releases and the main install, and current full releases are also available in the Book Designer Wiki page. :nice:

rwsimon
07-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I finally took a test drive with Book Designer on my office machine (running XP) and it seems to work just as advertised. I'm running Vista at home. Has anyone used the software on a Vista machine? My apologies if that has been discussed at length already. I couldn't find it poking around in the forums.

JSWolf
07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I finally took a test drive with Book Designer on my office machine (running XP) and it seems to work just as advertised. I'm running Vista at home. Has anyone used the software on a Vista machine? My apologies if that has been discussed at length already. I couldn't find it poking around in the forums.
The following is from another thread.

It could not work under the new operating system Windows vista. Problem consisted in the absence of libraries DHTML Editing Control for Applications Redistributable Package. For eliminating the problem download Microsoft file DhtmlEd.msi and will establish it.
Note you can download DhtmlEdmsi here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b769a4b8-48ed-41a1-8095-5a086d1937cb&displaylang=en

edbro
07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I am having a lot of trouble getting this to work. Every book I load into BD, it tells me it "can not transform to BookDesigner format". All my books are in rtf format. I saved one in htm format and got the same message. I was able to load one book after using the Fileconverter to convert to text. But, when I went to save the lrf, it told me "failed to make Sony Reader file".

What am I doing wrong? I am running BD 4 with the 5/30 update. I am using Vista and I installed the DhtmlEd.msi.

JSWolf
07-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I am having a lot of trouble getting this to work. Every book I load into BD, it tells me it "can not transform to BookDesigner format". All my books are in rtf format. I saved one in htm format and got the same message. I was able to load one book after using the Fileconverter to convert to text. But, when I went to save the lrf, it told me "failed to make Sony Reader file".

What am I doing wrong? I am running BD 4 with the 5/30 update. I am using Vista and I installed the DhtmlEd.msi.
You need to have Microsoft Word installed as Book Designer uses it to convert RTF to HTML in order to load the file. It sounds like you might not have Word installed. Do you have Word installed?

edbro
07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Yes, Office 2007 Pro.
From the System Check button:
---------------------------
System Checking
MS Word version: 12.0

it is suitable

Languages installed

Cyrillic: True

Western Europe: True

Central Europe: True

System CP: 1252
OK

JSWolf
07-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Yes, Office 2007 Pro.
I just figured it out maybe.... You're on Vista. Do you hav write access to Program Files? You might not given Vista's new security. Uninstall Book Designer and try installing it to a different directory other then Program Files. Book Designer does write to directories inside it's install directory.

edbro
07-31-2007, 12:43 AM
I just figured it out maybe.... You're on Vista. Do you hav write access to Program Files? You might not given Vista's new security. Uninstall Book Designer and try installing it to a different directory other then Program Files. Book Designer does write to directories inside it's install directory.
That was it! You are a genius. Thank you.

JSWolf
07-31-2007, 10:18 AM
That was it! You are a genius. Thank you.
Happy to help. Sometimes all it takes is someone else (in this case yourself) to say something the right way to get me to remember.

AvidReader
08-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi Jon.
I'm trying to install the same program and I can't get past the "class not registered. You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL" message.
I've installed the dll file in the windows/system folder and run the command line that gives me an affirmative, as well as the DhtmlEd.msi file, and still no go?
Any suggestions?
Thank you

Peter

joblack
08-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Bookdesigner doesn´t import pictures and tables. Is that a normal behaviour?

HarryT
08-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Pictures are certainly supported in (at least) GIF, BMP, JPG and PNG formats. Make sure that the pictures are "local" to the document and not remote URLs.

By default, tables get stripped out. There's a check box on the "Settings" page (screwdriver icon) to control this. When you make the book, tables get converted to plain text.

joblack
08-01-2007, 08:25 AM
The problem is if I read PDF files and convert it to lrf the included pictures and tables are gone. With the options I have played around. Nothing has changed ..

HarryT
08-01-2007, 08:50 AM
BD uses an external tool to convert the PDF into (I think) HTML, and it's that tool which is not converting the pictures and tables; I'm not aware of any PDF converter which will give you the pictures. The best you can probably do is to add the pictures back in by hand after conversion.

kovidgoyal
08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Actually pdftohtml with the -c flag will give you pictures and I believe tables, unfortunately the resulting HTML is not suited for conversion into LRF.

JSWolf
08-02-2007, 12:22 AM
The PDF import for Book Designer loses the graphics. All you get is the plain text. No styles. You could try pdftohtml to get the graphics and then insert the graphics manually. Also pdftohtml will keep the text styles without the -c options.

gingercat
08-03-2007, 12:42 AM
anyone know if there is a later version that 30/5/2007? That version crashes when search and replace is used.

LaughingVulcan
08-04-2007, 02:00 PM
It works on mine.... Perhaps it's something in the settings?

JSWolf
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
anyone know if there is a later version that 30/5/2007? That version crashes when search and replace is used.
How did you install? You download the 4.0 version and then install from the MSI file and then copy over the installed files the update files.

If that is what you've done and it still crashes, turn off everything you have starting when the computer runs. Could be a conflict with something you run.

LaughingVulcan
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM

How did you install? You download the 4.0 version and then install from the MSI file and then copy over the installed files the update files.

If that is what you've done and it still crashes, turn off everything you have starting when the computer runs. Could be a conflict with something you run.

The question was apparently answered in this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12660); turned out to be a conflict with Avast anti-virus according to gingercat.

JSWolf
08-07-2007, 11:18 PM
I cannot say what is new until vvv tells us what is new. But if you've been having trouble with the previous update, try this one dated 2007-07-30.

P.S. See attachment for 2007-07-30 further on down this thread.

JSWolf
08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
To get the dynamic HTML that Vista BD needs (comes in XP) you can download it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B769A4B8-48ED-41A1-8095-5A086D1937CB&displaylang=en

Install this and then reinstall BD. But do not install BD in Program Files. BD needs access to it's own directory tree and Program Files by default doesn't allow such access.

gingercat
08-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I was hoping this latest update might fix my find & replace problem. But no luck. This one has me completely beaten. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it.

JSWolf
08-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Did you install the Dynamic HTML from Microsoft?

Azayzel
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
This release fixed the issue I had been having with meta-tags not working properly. The only issue I've had with it so far is converting PDB-to-LRF; for some reason it's not parsing the PDB properly and paragraphs are all over the place. On another note, the LIT-to-LRF is working perfectly; it only took me a few minutes to convert a score of LIT's I had to something usable. Now if only there was a way to highlight multiple "pre-selected" titles so I can remove them all at once instead of one at a time...

Great work vvv! :thumbsup:

ZeBuddha
08-16-2007, 09:38 PM
After installing BD4.0, then extracting the 30/07/07 (or 07/30/07 in US format I suppose) update (overwriting) in the installation dir, when I try to save a file as LRF I get a "failed to make Sony Reader File" error. This happens regardless of the format of the original file (tested w/ .rtf, .pdf & .lit).

Also perhaps worth noting is that it shows up when in the status bar it has already done the conversion to LRS and starts/tries converting from LRS to LRF.

FYI: Running WinXP SP2, w/ Office 2007, Acrobat 8 Pro.

Note: I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling in a different directory (outside Program Files), but I still got the same result.

gingercat
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Did you install the Dynamic HTML from Microsoft?

whats this all about and where do I get it from?

JSWolf
08-16-2007, 10:59 PM
whats this all about and where do I get it from?
Did you bother to read this thread and see the link I posted?

JSWolf
08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
After installing BD4.0, then extracting the 30/07/07 (or 07/30/07 in US format I suppose) update (overwriting) in the installation dir, when I try to save a file as LRF I get a "failed to make Sony Reader File" error. This happens regardless of the format of the original file (tested w/ .rtf, .pdf & .lit).

Also perhaps worth noting is that it shows up when in the status bar it has already done the conversion to LRS and starts/tries converting from LRS to LRF.

FYI: Running WinXP SP2, w/ Office 2007, Acrobat 8 Pro.

Note: I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling in a different directory (outside Program Files), but I still got the same result.
According to someone else in some other thread, the progrma with BD turned out to be his antivirus program. Anyway, disable EVERYTHING you run on startup and then see if BD works for you. Could be some sort of conflict with something you run.

ZeBuddha
08-17-2007, 12:16 AM
The only things that I have running aside from standard Windows services are touchpad, ATI and wifi drivers, along with MSN & Firefox (both of which I tried shutting down to see if it made a diff. but nothing).

Also, I've gone through all the folder permissions, as well as the local sec. policy, user rights assignments, etc. Should be nothing there that'd cause probs (unless BD does some VERY strange things).

JSWolf
08-18-2007, 12:51 AM
The only things that I have running aside from standard Windows services are touchpad, ATI and wifi drivers, along with MSN & Firefox (both of which I tried shutting down to see if it made a diff. but nothing).

Also, I've gone through all the folder permissions, as well as the local sec. policy, user rights assignments, etc. Should be nothing there that'd cause probs (unless BD does some VERY strange things).
No firewall or antivirus or spyware filters?

ZeBuddha
08-18-2007, 01:45 AM
No firewall or antivirus or spyware filters?

Nope.

JSWolf
08-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Nope.
I know this may be a silly idea. But try safe mode and see if it works.

kilofox
08-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I am running XP on a Mac with VMWare (very nice I might add).

I converted a drm lit file to non drm lit. Do I need MS Word installed to convert the new lit file to lrf?

The reason I ask is I am getting a failure when I try to convert lit to lrf. The help file mentions that Word is needed for rtf and html, but makes no mention of lit. Do I still need it?

JSWolf
08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes you do need Word. It uses word to convert to something BD understands.

ZeBuddha
08-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I know this may be a silly idea. But try safe mode and see if it works.

Nope... doesn't work either :knife:

JSWolf
08-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Anyone have any ideas? I seem to be out of them.

JSWolf
08-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I have another idea...

This is from another thread here, but give it a go.

VISTA USERS MUST RIGHT CLICK AND RUN THE INSTALLER WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES.

andyafro
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
LOOKS GOOD

JSWolf
08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
LOOKS GOOD
Thank you very much for your help. If you had not pointed out the issue with the latest update, I would not have known it needed fixing.

mgmharry
08-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I installed the program as has been outlined, and updated the files. When I try to run it, I get a message that "Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I'm running Vista Premium, have disabled User Account Control, and I know that this particular ocx is registered properly, because I redid the command-line registration. Has anyone else seen this error?

Thank you! -Greg

NatCh
08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, mgmharry! :hatsoff:

I can't directly answer your question, as I'm not using Vista (my plan is to wait 'til they're working on the replacement to install it -- that's when MS OSs tend to get stable :wink:).

However, I can offer a couple of things to try that have come up before.

BD won't work in Vista from the "My Programs" directory. Also it needs to be installed with full Admin privileges.

You may also find useful the ongoing discussion of BD & Vista located here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10805). :nice:

JSWolf
08-28-2007, 11:05 PM
I installed the program as has been outlined, and updated the files. When I try to run it, I get a message that "Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I'm running Vista Premium, have disabled User Account Control, and I know that this particular ocx is registered properly, because I redid the command-line registration. Has anyone else seen this error?

Thank you! -Greg
Did you reboot after you did the registration? Did you make sure it was in system32? Do you want my version to try?

The attached file is my comctl32.ocx as I have on my XP Pro system. Cannot hurt to try it. But remember to backup your copy.

Azayzel
09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
It has come to my attention that the upgrade for 2007-07-30 is not complete. It relies on people having gone through the upgrade path.. 2007-04-12, 2007-05-30, and then 2007-07-30. So what I have done is combine all three upgrades into one. I started with the earliest and added the others to it in date order. So now the 2007-07-30 update should be complete. So you can now start with the installer and then use this to upgrade and you won't get the error message that you cannot make Sony books.

If there is a problem, please let me know.

Thanks for the insight and for providing us with a single upgrade path. I guess you could call it a roll-up to the current version! I'm gonna give this one a whirl and see if it fixes my PDB parsing issues.

You da man Jon! :crowngrin

JSWolf
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the insight and for providing us with a single upgrade path. I guess you could call it a roll-up to the current version! I'm gonna give this one a whirl and see if it fixes my PDB parsing issues.

You da man Jon! :crowngrin
Hope it helps. At least we won't be getting people going from 4.0 to an incomplete 07/30/2007.

astra
09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Hope it helps. At least we won't be getting people going from 4.0 to an incomplete 07/30/2007.

Why do you say it is incomplete?
I was told it is a full update like any previous.

In particular, on ebook.org forum I asked:
Could I updated my 12.04.2007 with the latest 30.07.2007 bypassing Mat's update (because I heard rumours that it is incomplete)?

The answer was Yes.

?

JSWolf
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Why do you say it is incomplete?
I was told it is a full update like any previous.

In particular, on ebook.org forum I asked:
Could I updated my 12.04.2007 with the latest 30.07.2007 bypassing Mat's update (because I heard romours that it is incomplete)?

The answer was Yes.

?
Whoever posted on the forum is incorrect. 07/30/2007 is an incomplete update when going from the install.

I have no idea about the 12/04/2007 version. All I know is that going from the installer (4.0) and then directly to 07/30/2007 gives you an incomplete update. The reason is that the update assumes you've updated previously. And if not, it won't work. The 07/30/2007 update as received from the website is incomplete. The 07/30/2007 I posted here is a combination of all the updates since the initial install. So it is complete. I suggest you download the 07/30/2007 posted here and use that one for your updates.

mgmharry
09-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the welcome, and for the advice! I will try reinstalling it to a new directory, although I have user access control turned off and my account is an administrator on the computer. It's worth a shot, at least.

I also made sure the .ocx file was in system32 and even ran a command-line register command to make sure it was really registered.

Sorry for the late response - I had been out of town and just got to get back to this. The one very bright spot for me is that my Reader came in while I was away and I love it! I'm eager to try out some of the interface hacks and, of course, to start reading with it.

Thanks again.
Greg

JSWolf
09-08-2007, 10:07 AM
mgmharry, try the following as posted by ChrisI...

I have Book Designer running on my Vista machine. There were several issues, which I resolved by reading various threads on this forum. Here's what I did: (My apologies for not giving proper credit to those who posted each fix.)

1. Download and install the Microsoft DHTML Editing Control.

2. Install the 4.0 BD, and the latest 7/30/2007 update. I installed to Program Files, but you can probably skip the next two steps if you install to a different directory.

3. Browse to C:\Program Files\ and right-click on the Book Designer 4.0 folder. Select Properties. Go to the Security tab. Select Edit... and Add... then enter your user-id. Grant yourself full access to the directory.

4. Create the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\Sony Reader, and the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\LastFile. These directories are normally created automatically by the program, but even with full access I had to create them by hand.

5. Open a Command Prompt, as Administrator. (Right-click on the menu item and select run as administrator.) Go to the Book Designer 4.0 directory, and run the following command: regsvr32 GflAx.dll. This dll was copied to the BD by the update, and needs to be registered to get graphics (such as browse for a cover page) to work properly.

I think that’s everything. One of the things I tried along the way was to modify the properties of BookDesigner.exe to run as administrator. This caused an error: comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered, so I changed it back.

I hope this helps.

mgmharry
09-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I followed the instructions that worked for the others. I already had the DHTML control installed, so I let the setup program repair it. Then, I did the rest.

I'm curious that his resolution was to not run it as administrator. I will try turning User Access Controls back on and see if that makes a difference. I still get the comdlg32.ocx error so far...

Thank you.
Greg

mgmharry
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, re-enabling Vista's User Access Controls allows the program to work. I guess that's something to forward to the author, to figure out why it gets confused without UAC enabled....

Thanks again for the help...

Greg

lj69
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
can anyone tell me why this version not support the foreign language

JSWolf
09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
can anyone tell me why this version not support the foreign language
It does support foreign languages. What language are you looking for support for?

lj69
09-13-2007, 06:49 PM
It does support foreign languages. What language are you looking for support for?

i'm looking for the vietnamese languages, i just got ereader from sonny , cannot wait to make an ebook for my own but when i convert to .lrf than they not support
please, help

JSWolf
09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
i'm looking for the Vietnamese languages, i just got ereader from sonny , cannot wait to make an ebook for my own but when i convert to .lrf than they not support
please, help
In Book Designer, Go to the Configuration Menu and select Font. Then select the Vietnamese font you want. In the Make Sony Reader dialog, select the same font to embed and then change the font options to use that font.

lj69
09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
In Book Designer, Go to the Configuration Menu and select Font. Then select the Vietnamese font you want. In the Make Sony Reader dialog, select the same font to embed and then change the font options to use that font.

i try everything i can but turn out so bad , can not read anything
here i try some of my vietnames in unicode use, can you make a sample please, just use font tahoma is fine
chào anh, hôm nay là một ngày đẹp trời
can you make sample please
thank you

NatCh
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
How's this look?

lj69
09-14-2007, 02:55 PM
How's this look?
thank you for replying but for the fist 4 word is readable and then for the rest is turn out with all the numbers and sign and unreadable
thank you for quick reply but anyother way to do that

NatCh
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Ah, yes, I see what you're saying ....

It looks like BD doesn't know what to make of those characters. Short of vvv extending the character coverage, you're probably not going to get any farther with BD.

What is the original format on your texts? Perhaps one of the stand-alone converters such as HTML2LRF or LIT2LRF might give you better results. :shrug:

JSWolf
09-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I've gotten it to work fine using html2lrf and embedding Times New Roman.

html2lrf --serif-family="C:\Windows\Fonts, Times New Roman" untitled.html

lj69
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I've gotten it to work fine using html2lrf and embedding Times New Roman.

html2lrf --serif-family="C:\Windows\Fonts, Times New Roman" untitled.html

yahooooooooooo....you did it, can you show me or write a tut about that pls
where is in 4rum i can got this program to work
thank you

JSWolf
09-14-2007, 09:58 PM
yahooooooooooo....you did it, can you show me or write a tut about that pls
where is in 4rum i can got this program to work
thank you
html2lrf is a command line program. It's part of libprs500. Read this thread for how to get it and use it.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10582

The command I posted shows how to set the font.

Shaggy
09-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, re-enabling Vista's User Access Controls allows the program to work. I guess that's something to forward to the author, to figure out why it gets confused without UAC enabled....

It does the same thing for me on Vista Home Premium 32bit following the install steps listed previously in the thread. With UAC turned on BookDesigner runs fine. When I turn UAC off I get the error about comdlg32.ocx being missing or invalid and BookDesigner won't start.

Weird.

NormB
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
New topic but I will run it on this thread. I stated having trouble with BD(or ms XP media edition) showing an error message "BD needs to shutdown" when I try to load the first book for formatting. I tried files from several sources and they all do the same. I uninstalled BD, cleared all the temp files, and cleared any BD files found in search, then reinstalled Ver 4.0 and upgrade 5 but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

astra
09-25-2007, 06:06 AM
New topic but I will run it on this thread. I stated having trouble with BD(or ms XP media edition) showing an error message "BD needs to shutdown" when I try to load the first book for formatting. I tried files from several sources and they all do the same. I uninstalled BD, cleared all the temp files, and cleared any BD files found in search, then reinstalled Ver 4.0 and upgrade 5 but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Did you use the lates upgrade 5 that JSWolf uploaded here?

JSWolf
09-25-2007, 06:14 AM
You have the wrong update. The one you have can be unstable. You need to get 07/30/2007. It's in this thread someplace.

Draccy
09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Book designer is great! I love how easy it is to format books with this tool. I would have loved to have known about it for the Palm Zire 72 I used for years!

JSWolf
09-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Book designer is great! I love how easy it is to format books with this tool. I would have loved to have known about it for the Palm Zire 72 I used for years!
I didn't know about BD until this year. Didn't really get into ebooks until this year. Granted, I bough some ebooks in MS Reader format and read them on my computer or on the laptop, but I much prefer how portable my Sony Reader really is.

Shaggy
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
It does the same thing for me on Vista Home Premium 32bit following the install steps listed previously in the thread. With UAC turned on BookDesigner runs fine. When I turn UAC off I get the error about comdlg32.ocx being missing or invalid and BookDesigner won't start.

Weird.

I found something on the BD forum (it's in russian, so made it interesting to get through). If you get an error about the missing comdlg32.ocx when running with UAC turned off, but it runs fine with UAC turned on. Open up a command prompt while UAC is turned off and type:

regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

The first command unregisters it, and the second re-registers. Apparently, there seems to be something different about how it registers without UAC. Because if I do the above with UAC turned off, then I can run BD fine with UAC still off. Maybe forcing it to re-register with UAC off makes it register with Admin privs? I don't know.

Also, when I did it the comdlg32.ocx error stopped showing up, but another one came up instead. "comctl32.ocx" I think. I did the same procedure for that one, and then BD would start.

Hopefully that helps somebody else too.

JSWolf
10-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks Shaggy. That's some very useful information.

Shaggy
10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Another gotcha (not sure if it's been mentioned before), but there are some tricks to getting PDFCreator installed on vista as well, if you need it for BookDesigner. The installer won't run (complains about not being compatible with the version of windows), however if you right click on the installer and set the compatibility mode for Windows XP, everything should be fine.

Also, there are lots of comments on the PDFCreator forums about the client mode (which is what BookDesigner needs) not working on vista. Don't worry about it. You don't actually need to be able to launch PDFCreator manually, so it doesn't matter if it won't run on vista. BookDesigner just needs the files present (probably uses some libraries that are part of PDFCreator), you don't actually need PDFCreator itself to run.

The forums say that if you need PDFCreator to run on vista then you should install it in server mode. Don't do that, BookDesigner needs the client install. Been there, done that, had to start over. :)

hapax legomenon
10-27-2007, 03:40 PM
wow, I had a major time trying to install book designer. i have a fresh install of xp sp 2.

I unzipped the 7/30 zip file and tried to run bookdesigner.exe

I've tried both as user and admin.

first error message: missing comdlg32.ocx .

I downloaded that off the web, registered it. Then next error message.
missing richt32.ocx

I found it off the web and installed it in the right place. Then I registered it. but it gave the error message that the registration failed. (I did all this registering while admin).

regsvr32 \windows\system32\RICHTX32.OCX
(that's what I ran).

i rebooted, some message.

just out of curiosity why do these dependencies exist. And why can't book designer install and run like other windows programs.

Any suggestions about how to solve this problem how to start with a clean system?

One other question. I normally work in a user account. is there a command I can run as user to register these ocxes. (or at least to promote my privileges to admin).

i know i got book designer to work on my other system. but this is my main system for doing work and it would be nice to get it installed. Given how useful book designer is, has anyone tried to make it easier to install?

hapax legomenon
10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
"RICHTX32.OCX is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type. "

JSWolf
10-28-2007, 12:38 AM
1. unzip the file BookDesigner40.zip
2. Right click on th .msi file from the ZIP and install
3. unzip the file Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip on top of the files in the c:\Program files\book designer\ directory and you have it updated.

You need to delete the Book Designer directory you've created. Then install from the MSI in the 4.0 zip. Then update from there. Also go to the sticky for Book Cleaner and download and install the BC files.

andinho
12-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi all,

I don't want to stress you but am I the only one that gets the following?

Officescan throws a virus/malware in zip Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip
files clit.exe and clit12a.exe
PAK_Generic.001

I didn't see any hint in this thread.

Thanks
Andreas

igorsk
12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Probably a false positive.

JSWolf
12-05-2007, 08:11 AM
I run AVG Free and I've never gotten a hit on any part of Book Designer. It is a false positive.

andinho
12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Hopefully a false positive
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/fr/virusencyclo/default5.asp?LYstr=VMAINDATA&vNav=2&VName=PAK_Generic.001
Antivir at home doesn't see any problem, Trend Micro does

andinho
12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh, my answer is gone. Here again: hopefully false positive
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/fr/virusencyclo/default5.asp?LYstr=VMAINDATA&vNav=2&VName=PAK_Generic.001
Antivir is ok with the file

andinho
12-05-2007, 09:03 AM
3rd attempt to answer, strange: It's Trend Micro, AntiV_r is ok

HarryT
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
As a new MR member, if you post messages with links in them, those messages get automatically moderated. This will stop after you've posted a few more messages.

Pdrpdr
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm new to Book Designer and Sony Reader (I finally got it yesterday from a relative that travelled to USA). I've some books made using BD (not by me) and it looks absolutely perfect on the reader. So, I'm trying to doit by myself from PDF files.

The program works very good with spanish characters, but I cant find a way to auto-detect test in italic. Is there a way to autodetect it or Must i edit it manually?

Thanks.

anlor
12-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I can´t seem to get any spanish characters (acentos, ñ or otherwise) can someone tell me if I have to do anything special?
Thanks

Pdrpdr
12-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I can´t seem to get any spanish characters (acentos, ñ or otherwise) can someone tell me if I have to do anything special?
Thanks

Yes, you have to choose "Español" as the language :P (configuration\settings\)

That worked fine for me, but it doesnt recognize italic fonts :(

Pdrpdr
12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm new to Book Designer and Sony Reader (I finally got it yesterday from a relative that travelled to USA). I've some books made using BD (not by me) and it looks absolutely perfect on the reader. So, I'm trying to doit by myself from PDF files.

The program works very good with spanish characters, but I cant find a way to auto-detect test in italic. Is there a way to autodetect it or Must i edit it manually?

Thanks.

I finally found a way... copied all the .pdf to a word document, then saved it as .rtf and after that i opened it with book designer... this time it recognized the italics. :dçD

astra
12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I finally found a way... copied all the .pdf to a word document

How did you do it?

JSWolf
12-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Once you have Book Designer installed, do not forget to go get the Book Cleaner files to help in loading in your content.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649

astra
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Once you have Book Designer installed, do not forget to go get the Book Cleaner files to help in loading in your content.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649

What is a purpose of BC?

I am using BD all the time but I nver used bc before.
Why would I need it?

JSWolf
12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Well... Book Cleaner fixes some issues when loading content. Em dashes ar ethe biggest issue. I don't like to find someone's created a book and posted it here with no em dahses. It's a pet peeve. There are also some instances where Book Designer will split a paragraph and that's been fixed. European angled quotes have just been fixed as well.

astra
12-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Well... Book Cleaner fixes some issues when loading content. Em dashes ar ethe biggest issue. I don't like to find someone's created a book and posted it here with no em dahses. It's a pet peeve. There are also some instances where Book Designer will split a paragraph and that's been fixed. European angled quotes have just been fixed as well.

I am bit lost with all this terminology.

European angled quotes What is it?

em dahses What is it? dash is -
There are two instances when it is being used?
greenhouse gas emissions - which mainly come from burning fossil fuels - from 1990 levels by 2020
or
maintain a longer-term ambition

What is em dash? How does it look?

igorsk
12-14-2007, 05:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash_versus_em_dash

HarryT
12-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Some languages use these characters for quotations (mainly German, I believe):

»this is a quote«

An "em-dash" is a "long" dash used for a "pause" in a sentence: For example (from my "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus"),

The other day—Thursday, to be more exact—Dr. Mortimer lunched with us.

The em-dash is a different character from the hyphen, which is used to connect related words. Again a quote from Sherlock Holmes:

Half-way down is the moor-gate, where the old gentleman left his cigar-ash

(Note that Victorian English used hyphens more than we do today. Most people today wouldn't put a hyphen in "half way" or "cigar ash".)

astra
12-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks!

Until today I thought that em dash is a glitch and always converted it to space hypen/dash space.
So, it looks like that: emissions - which

I was wrong...?

astra
12-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Is it possible to aplly it to html0?
I mean I have already edited a book. Can I apply bookcleaner to html0 or it should be done before I start to edit a book?

HarryT
12-14-2007, 08:29 AM
The book cleaner rules are applied when BD "imports" a book. I don't think they can be applied afterwords. Is that right, Jon?

JSWolf
12-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks!

Until today I thought that em dash is a glitch and always converted it to space hypen/dash space.
So, it looks like that:

I was wrong...?
Yes.

That said, if you were going to convert to space dash space, you should have been converting to space en dash space

Your example: emissions - which

With an en dash: emissions – which

If you left it as it was it would look like...

With an em dash: emissions—which

JSWolf
12-15-2007, 06:10 AM
The book cleaner rules are applied when BD "imports" a book. I don't think they can be applied afterwards. Is that right, Jon?
Once the content is loaded into Book Designer, Book Cleaner is done. Yes you are correct that you cannot use BC to fix anything after the content is loaded.

The Book Cleaner files keep em dashes and even convert -- to em dashes as well.

astra
12-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes.

That said, if you were going to convert to space dash space, you should have been converting to space en dash space

Your example: emissions - which

With an en dash: emissions – which

If you left it as it was it would look like...

With an em dash: emissions—which

Yes, that's what I have been doing.

However, now when I have learned how to use cleaner, I don't need to do it.

Pdrpdr
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
How did you do it?

It was a text document, croped page's number, selected all the text and pasted it on Word. There, deleted all page's break (using Replace ^m) and saved it as .rtf. Then used Bookdesigner and it loaded italics perfectly (they were missed if I just load the .pdf).

By the way.. i didn't try BC yet :P. I'll try again using it.

ebookfab
01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I have installed Book Designer 5.0 and have had very good results in converting and formatting books for my Sony PRS-500 and 505. However, there have been instances where I wanted to force a "page break" but have not been able to find out how to do this from the User Guide instructions or the "help" notes in the program itself.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Thanks. Fred

ront
01-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Menu: Format/more ransformations/insert page break after selection

It's a page break in the text editor mode. When I convert the file to make it as a sony reader format but it doesn't appear as a page break in the sony reader. I want to make every new chapter on a new page but I can't do. Apart from this problem, BookDesigner works fine.

HarryT
01-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Menu: Format/more ransformations/insert page break after selection

It's a page break in the text editor mode. When I convert the file to make it as a sony reader format but it doesn't appear as a page break in the sony reader. I want to make every new chapter on a new page but I can't do. Apart from this problem, BookDesigner works fine.

On the "Options" page of the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, check both the "Auto page break" and "User page break" boxes. Then you'll have your page breaks.

ront
01-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Thank you very much HarryT.

Valloric
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm not getting this Book Cleaner right... I did everything as the posts here instruct, I load my book, and I get question marks where em dashes should be. I checked the "language" in options, saw it was English. Since I read this should be German, I put German and now I have regular dashes... better than question marks, but still... no em dashes...

Can someone explain to me how this is supposed to work? I feel like such an idiot... em dashes are important. and I want 'em :D..

Other than this little problem, everything is fine. I'm using Book Designer to edit all my books and I have to say, it's one damn fine program.

Oh, one more thing... how do I save to Book Designer's native format? I can see it in the Open Book dialog (html0, cit), but not in the Save As dialog...

JSWolf
02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
You need to start your book over again. You need to set Book Designer for German and then reload the book. Do not use the html0 file if you have one. If you have the Book Cleaner 1.5 files in place and set right with 1 being the input and 2 being the output, then you should be good to go.

But one thing to do is check the original source to see if there are em dashes or double dashes. If not, you won't have any em dashes.

Valloric
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
But one thing to do is check the original source to see if there are em dashes or double dashes. If not, you won't have any em dashes.

Ok, thanks. It appears the source lacks em dashes... greaaat. But thank you for bringing up that possibility, otherwise I would have spent more time trying to fix it.

But that other thing... how do I save files in Book Designer's native format? I mean, I load the LIT file and do all the necessary editing, but if I save it as HTML, the next time I load it in BD, the titles and subtitles are all messed up again as they were when I opened the LIT. Yes, other changes are saved correctly, but the titles aren't.

While we're on the topic of titles... why does BD treat everything with even a remote possibility of being a title as a title? It's more than a bit irritating, and I find most of my time spent turning those into paragraphs and subtitles.

And thanks for the quick reply.

EDIT: Ok, found the BD format option. The question about title detection still stands though.

JSWolf
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
What I do is have just "detect titles by keywords" checked for the detect titles options. Seems to work OK. But you still have to check for titles and subtitles. And you might have to format some titles.

Valloric
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
OK, one more question...

Is there a way to remove that "Made with Book Designer etc" notice from the back of any format BD exports? Some kind of setting or configuration file or whatever... I don't know how to remove it by hand from LRF files, and it's bugging the hell out of me...

I'd understand if I was using a shareware version, then this type of annoying behavior would be perfectly alright as a means to get you to buy the full version, but BD is freeware (or am I missing something), so I don't get the necessity of forcing that notice on it's users.

So, any way to configure BD not to add it? If there isn't one, is there an easy way to remove it from LRF files?

JSWolf
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
OK, one more question...

Is there a way to remove that "Made with Book Designer etc" notice from the back of any format BD exports? Some kind of setting or configuration file or whatever... I don't know how to remove it by hand from LRF files, and it's bugging the hell out of me...

I'd understand if I was using a shareware version, then this type of annoying behavior would be perfectly alright as a means to get you to buy the full version, but BD is freeware (or am I missing something), so I don't get the necessity of forcing that notice on it's users.

So, any way to configure BD not to add it? If there isn't one, is there an easy way to remove it from LRF files?
You could use lrf2lrs and edit the lrs to remove the text and then use lrs2lrf to put it back into lrf format. But that does seem an awful lot of work for each eBook. Other then that you could just put in a page break at the end of the book so the BD info would go on it's own page and not be with the actually text of the book.

Valloric
02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Other then that you could just put in a page break at the end of the book so the BD info would go on it's own page and not be with the actually text of the book.

Oh that is a GREAT idea, thank you! Should have thought of that...

Valloric
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Bah! Doesn't work... BD acts like the page break is not there. Sad really...

JSWolf
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
All that's wrong is you don't have your options set correctly. Easy to fix.

When you go to make Sony Reader file, select the options tab. Then find the misc section and make sure page breaks & user page breaks are both checked. Then you'll get the BD blurb on it's own page.

Valloric
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
All that's wrong is you don't have your options set correctly. Easy to fix.

When you go to make Sony Reader file, select the options tab. Then find the misc section and make sure page breaks & user page breaks are both checked. Then you'll get the BD blurb on it's own page.

Yes, I know about those options, and yes, I did set them correctly, and no, it still didn't work. :)

EDIT: It works good, I just didn't know you had to save before making an e-book, otherwise it doesn't register your changes...

JSWolf
02-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Glad it's all sorted.

Roberts324
02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I use BD to create .imp eBooks for an EB1150 reader. However, there are a few problems I could not solve in my attempts, among them:

1) How does one create "running headers" (with title and author at top of the page, maybe with a line underneath), as is possible with GEBLibrarian, and, with some manual editing, with eBook technologies' eBook Publisher?

2) Why can't I lookup a word in the EB1150 dictionary as is the case with said programs?

3) Why can't I have two levels of zooming?

Thanks for any hint on how to achieve those.

Robert

nrapallo
02-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I use BD to create .imp eBooks for an EB1150 reader. However, there are a few problems I could not solve in my attempts, among them:

1) How does one create "running headers" (with title and author at top of the page, maybe with a line underneath), as is possible with GEBLibrarian, and, with some manual editing, with eBook technologies' eBook Publisher?

2) Why can't I lookup a word in the EB1150 dictionary as is the case with said programs?

3) Why can't I have two levels of zooming?

Thanks for any hint on how to achieve those.

Robert

Robert:

I don't use BD, so I'm not too sure about issue 1).

However, issue 2). and issue 3). happen because your resulting .IMP is basically a collection of 'images' for each page, not text. This happens when you select MultiLang support. It does produce a very attractive page with this selected, but at the expense of not having 'real' words to 'lookup' or 'zoom' out.

Search for how others have handled MultiLang support, especially if you want the text to support accents and such.

-Nick

happynow
02-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for your help .

HarryT
02-17-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm not getting this Book Cleaner right... I did everything as the posts here instruct, I load my book, and I get question marks where em dashes should be. I checked the "language" in options, saw it was English. Since I read this should be German, I put German and now I have regular dashes... better than question marks, but still... no em dashes...

Can someone explain to me how this is supposed to work? I feel like such an idiot... em dashes are important. and I want 'em :D..

Other than this little problem, everything is fine. I'm using Book Designer to edit all my books and I have to say, it's one damn fine program.

There's one other important step to take: on the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, go to the "Options" page and in the "Misc" section, set the "dashes" option to "as it is".

Oh, one more thing... how do I save to Book Designer's native format? I can see it in the Open Book dialog (html0, cit), but not in the Save As dialog...

What I do personally is to make a copy of the entire "LastFile" folder in BD and copy it to the folder where I have my book source.

Valloric
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
There's one other important step to take: on the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, go to the "Options" page and in the "Misc" section, set the "dashes" option to "as it is".

What I do personally is to make a copy of the entire "LastFile" folder in BD and copy it to the folder where I have my book source.

Uhm... thanks for the help HarryT, but both problems have been already taken care of :D

And I found that there's a button on the home row in BD, and with all those buttons for converting to various formats, the very last button, waaaay on the right, is "convert to BD format".

Roberts324
02-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Robert:

I don't use BD, so I'm not too sure about issue 1).

However, issue 2). and issue 3). happen because your resulting .IMP is basically a collection of 'images' for each page, not text. This happens when you select MultiLang support. It does produce a very attractive page with this selected, but at the expense of not having 'real' words to 'lookup' or 'zoom' out.

Search for how others have handled MultiLang support, especially if you want the text to support accents and such.

I (and others) do need accented characters; fortunately, sice rusian has them also, it is not difficult to get them, and I have had no problem so far.

As for the running headers, there must be a way; I have converted one of my eBooks to the lrf format (attached), and there is an option for headers and footers; however, there is no lrf "viewer", so I cannot test this file. Is there a Sony viewer program for Windows out there?

However, the .Imp eBook creation windows does not give you the option for headers and footers... Other software, such as GEBLibrarian, creates nice headers by default...

Roberts324
02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
As for the running headers, there must be a way; I have converted one of my eBooks to the lrf format (attached), and there is an option for headers and footers; however, there is no lrf "viewer", so I cannot test this file. Is there a Sony viewer program for Windows out there?

I just found one at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/; and the headers are not there...:angry: Not sure what is going on with BD...

Valloric
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I just found one at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/; and the headers are not there...:angry: Not sure what is going on with BD...

The viewer in libprs500 does not display headers or footers... it has some other minor display bugs as well. You should get the eBook Library software from Sony (free download), it has near-perfect emulation of what the LRF file will look like on the Reader.

Oletros
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm trying to change the font to an lrf ebook.

I have converted it to lrs with lrf2lrf but now how can I open it with BD?

Chekkmate
03-28-2008, 12:05 AM
First off I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted instructions for installing BD. I was running Windows Vista Home edition and had absolutely no problems installing. However, i just bought a new laptop with vista ultimate (64 bit) and i couldn't get the program to install. after perusing the site for about a half hour i finally got it to work, so in the interest of helping anyone else who might still be having problems, here's what i did (basically its a compilation of a few people's instructions):

1. Install the 4.0 BD, and the latest 7/30/2007 update.

2. Create the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\Sony Reader, and the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\LastFile.

3. Open a Command Prompt. Go to the Book Designer 4.0 directory, and run the following command: regsvr32 GflAx.dll.

4. Try to run the program. If you get an error about the missing comdlg32.ocx download the missing COMDLG32.OCX Library File (I used Google to find it - http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=COMDLG32.OCX) and put it in the book designer folder

5. Open up a command prompt while UAC is turned off and type:

regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

6. Try to run the program again. If you then get an error about the missing comctl32.ocx download the missing COMCTL32.OCX Library File (http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=COMCTL32.OCX) and repeat the process (typing comctl32.ocx instead of comdlg32.ocx). It should work now.

i hope this helps anyone that's still struggling

the crayon kid
04-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Have only recently become a member to the forum but if it wasn't for the destructions posted here (thanks JSWolf) I think I would have taken a gas ax my computer trying to get BD working. My brain and computer thank you.

JSWolf
04-12-2008, 11:53 PM
You are very welcome. I hope you've also installed the Book Cleaner files as well.

DasFool
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't suppose there's a hack that makes BD work with OpenOffice instead of word is there? I don't use MS Word so does that mean I'm S.O.L.?

gingercat
04-18-2008, 02:01 AM
You are very welcome. I hope you've also installed the Book Cleaner files as well.

Are book cleaner files a separate install? (this could explain why its never worked for me) :o

How do I install these?

Roberts324
04-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Are book cleaner files a separate install? (this could explain why its never worked for me) :o

How do I install these?

See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649

crutledge
10-10-2008, 09:13 AM
JSWOLFE, I downloaded BD and it seems to be the tool I've been looking for. The screen looks nothing like what is shown in the tutorials. The windows menus and formating above the CD icons does not show.

I loaded the Haggard txt file and began the tutorial. The edit functions, in both Read and Edit, do not provide a standard edit cursor, but only allows high lighting. In the Corrector pallate, Book Title and Author, but Title does not work. After I save and reload, The original text file returns and none of the changes have been saved.

So, I have done something majorly (??) wrong. If you can point me in the right direction, I will remember you in my will and give you my first born. I think that this is the tool I have been looking for.

Many thanks, Charlie

astra
10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Did you install BD v4, then the latest update?

JSWolf
10-11-2008, 08:35 AM
JSWOLFE, I downloaded BD and it seems to be the tool I've been looking for. The screen looks nothing like what is shown in the tutorials. The windows menus and formating above the CD icons does not show.

I loaded the Haggard txt file and began the tutorial. The edit functions, in both Read and Edit, do not provide a standard edit cursor, but only allows high lighting. In the Corrector pallate, Book Title and Author, but Title does not work. After I save and reload, The original text file returns and none of the changes have been saved.

So, I have done something majorly (??) wrong. If you can point me in the right direction, I will remember you in my will and give you my first born. I think that this is the tool I have been looking for.

One thing to note.. Book Designer has a bug where loading text fles can cause incorrect paragraphs. So take your text file and resave it as RTF and it will load fine.

Many thanks, Charlie
How did you install BD? What OS are you running?

BD has a bug where if you load a text file, the paragraphs can get messed up somewhat. Best wat to overcome that bug is to save the text file as RTF and then load the RTF into BD. That will keep the paragraphs.

crutledge
10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I should have answered the post earlier. Sorry!

Once I read the instructions well, it installed OK. :smack: This is the tool I have beem looking for. Before I was using an html editor.

Questions:

How does BD save the files and settings for a book? When I look in the folder for the book, I see only some temp HTML files and the original files - text and jpgs- and nothing else. I have one book that I originally left justified the TOC. I reload and center the TOC, And make the MOBI book OK. After saving the changes and reload the book, the TOC is still left justified.

It was mentioned in the thread to install BD to another location. My install gives no choice and installs to win\program files.

Thanks for showing me the greatest tool since fire making.

Charlie

crutledge
11-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I have just run into the following problem with BD. It suddenly does not save the book and attendent image refs to the last file folder.

Trying to solve the problem, I took the following actions:
Restarted thecomputer. No change.
Re-installed BD. No change.

I finally found the files in the Temp folder. This is apparently where history is kept so all is not lost. However, I have done something weird and it is a real pain.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Charlie

Patricia
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
The Book Designer program is a pain when it comes to saving files. I occasionally lost whole novels at the beginning. This is how I do it now:

1. Put my book into BD.
2. Check that it's looking vaguely correct.
3. IMMEDIATELY click on "make book" and make a Book Designer book.
4. Carry on editing, periodically either clicking on "save" or making a book designer book (which comes to the same thing).

If, by any mischance, the computer crashes, the file is stored in
my computer/c drive/program files/Book Designer/BD.

In my opinion it is always a good idea to make a Book Designer book as well as any other version. Then it is easily retrievable if you ever want to make corrections, or have a need to make a book in another format.

craft2113
11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi,

I have followed all the instructions on how to install BD 4.0 and install the update 2007-07-30. I also installed it outside program files.And I have office 2000 on my XP.and I have the free edition of AVG as my anti-virus.

When I was trying to make sony reader file.It says "failed to make sony reader file".

Please help?

JSWolf
11-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi,

I have followed all the instructions on how to install BD 4.0 and install the update 2007-07-30. I also installed it outside program files.And I have office 2000 on my XP.and I have the free edition of AVG as my anti-virus.

When I was trying to make sony reader file.It says "failed to make sony reader file".

Please help?

In your Book Cleaner directory, do you have a directory called temp?

craft2113
11-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi JSWolf,Thank you for the reply.

Here's the content of my book cleaner folder:
MiddleDashes_after.bcf
MiddleDashes_before.bcf
RemoveRepeatedEmptyLines.bcf

i also added 1.bcf and 2.bcf and opened it at BD book cleaner.but still doesn't work...

and my OS is XP sp3.

craft2113
11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
PLease help?

astra
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
PLease help?
When you start up BD, go to Tools/Book cleaner.
In the new Book cleaner window you have to do the following:
bellow input file: before formatting in a drop down menu choose 1.bcf
then bellow input file: after formatting in a drop down menu choose 2.bcf. Close the Book cleaner window and load your book. It should work.

Patricia
11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Or just drag and drop the files into the book cleaner directory.

craft2113
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Or just drag and drop the files into the book cleaner directory.

Thank you for the reply!

I still couldn't make lrf. It says "failed to make sony reader file".

astra
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Thank you for the reply!

I still couldn't make lrf. It says "failed to make sony reader file".

Dunno what to say.

How did you install the update? By unzipping archive into folder where BD has been installed?

astra
11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Test it by creating a doc or txt file where you type Hello World.
Upload it to BD and try to create a Sony Reader file (go to Make eBooks/Sony Reader(lrf))

JSWolf
11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi JSWolf,Thank you for the reply.

Here's the content of my book cleaner folder:
MiddleDashes_after.bcf
MiddleDashes_before.bcf
RemoveRepeatedEmptyLines.bcf

i also added 1.bcf and 2.bcf and opened it at BD book cleaner.but still doesn't work...

and my OS is XP sp3.
Sorry for the mistake.. In your Book Designer directory do you have a directory called temp?

Dr. Drib
11-21-2008, 02:10 PM
The Book Designer program is a pain when it comes to saving files. I occasionally lost whole novels at the beginning. This is how I do it now:

1. Put my book into BD.
2. Check that it's looking vaguely correct.
3. IMMEDIATELY click on "make book" and make a Book Designer book.
4. Carry on editing, periodically either clicking on "save" or making a book designer book (which comes to the same thing).

If, by any mischance, the computer crashes, the file is stored in
my computer/c drive/program files/Book Designer/BD.

In my opinion it is always a good idea to make a Book Designer book as well as any other version. Then it is easily retrievable if you ever want to make corrections, or have a need to make a book in another format.

And I might add this advice:

Definitely, definitely, definitely, MOVE the "Open Empty File" icon (which will DELETE what you're working on!) AWAY from the "Save Current File" icon.)

I lost 2 files about 1 year ago, before I got smart....Argghghghggh

Don

craft2113
11-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Sorry for the mistake.. In your Book Designer directory do you have a directory called temp?

Thank you!

I dont have temp folder.Do i have to create it?

astra
11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Thank you!

I dont have temp folder.Do i have to create it?

Yes and No. It is what its name implies :) A temp folder that BD creates when you edit a book. It exists in C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0 directory as long as BD is in use and it disappears when you close down BD.

craft2113
11-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Yes and No. It is what its name implies :) A temp folder that BD creates when you edit a book. It exists in C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0 directory as long as BD is in use and it disappears when you close down BD.

I created a temp folder in my book designer folder.But I still couldn't make a sony reader file."Failed to make sony reader file".and everytime i open my book designer.Its always like fresh installing everytime i open book designer.

help...

astra
11-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry for confusing you. The answer to your question: No. You don't have to create the temp folder. It is either there when BD is opened or not there when BD is closed down.
I don't know how to help you.

If you are using Win XP 32bit then try uninstall it. Then install v4. Then unpack update zip file into BD directory and try again.

Andybaby
11-28-2008, 11:34 PM
This Program is Great at making ebooks. I dont need Tocs in the books i read, i just want to get it into a nice format. and LRF is the way to go.

this is one of the Best book formaters ive ever seen, its works about 75% of the time with less than 2 minutes to edit the book to the way i like it to be read.

for the rest i ussually just have to convert it to a different format and reimport it.

this, Notepad++, Word, and ABC amber Lit converter. Makes short work of converting books in, PDF, LIT, TXT, Doc, and RTF (which 99% of my library are in)

Abisha
01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
An important notice for future deployment of Book Designer:

Windows 7 Beta will run Book Designer properly assuming you follow the "vista" installation instructions found in the wiki. Additionally you will be required to restore the following missing dependency from Windows 7: "RICHTX32.OCX". You MUST obtain this file from a previous version of Windows and register the file using "regsvr32.exe" from the command-line in order to get Book Designer to load.

Just a heads up guys, happy book authoring.

daesdaemar
01-26-2009, 11:23 AM
The BookDesigner home page makes reference to a BookDesigner 5. I can't read Russian, so anyone know what's up?

Patricia
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
The BookDesigner home page makes reference to a BookDesigner 5. I can't read Russian, so anyone know what's up?

Read the first post in this thread. You install BD4.0, then BD5.0 on top.

And you may find this tipsheet useful:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36908

delphidb96
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Read the first post in this thread. You install BD4.0, then BD5.0 on top.

And you may find this tipsheet useful:

Is there any NEWER than 7/30/08 version of BD available?

Derek

Patricia
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Is there any NEWER than 7/30/08 version of BD available?

Derek

In a word, no.
And it's 7/30/2007.

delphidb96
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
In a word, no.
And it's 7/30/2007.

What's a year between friends??? :D

Derek

DaleDe
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
What's a year between friends??? :D

Derek

Very confusing for everyone else?

astra
01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
I wonder, whether it is possible to install BD on to USB stick, so I can always have it with me and be able to edit a book on any PC?

HarryT
01-31-2009, 07:24 AM
I wonder, whether it is possible to install BD on to USB stick, so I can always have it with me and be able to edit a book on any PC?

Provided that PC is running XP, yes, it should certainly be possible. Under Vista one needs to install various DLLs to make BD work, so it's not so easy. Have you tried simply copying the BD folder tree onto a USB drive?

astra
01-31-2009, 07:30 AM
Provided that PC is running XP, yes, it should certainly be possible. Under Vista one needs to install various DLLs to make BD work, so it's not so easy. Have you tried simply copying the BD folder tree onto a USB drive?
I didn't try it yet. Thought to ask the question before I muck up things.
Yes, XP only.

I will try it ..or I shall try it? :p

HarryT
01-31-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't see that you have anything to lose by trying!

Amystei
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I wanted to make sure I thanked all the folks here for all the great information on converting pdfs to lrfs, I really appreciated it. Harry T, I thanked you in another thread also, but too many thanks is not possible for your efforts. Patricia, your Hints and tips document was invaluable. Andybaby, your pictures and insight were extremely helpful as well.

Amystei
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I did not forget JSWolf who posted the programs and soooooo much info. Thanks so much, I love using this program!

JSWolf
02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
You are very welcome. Happy to help. The copy of the version 5 upgrade on the Russion website assumes you've started with version 4 and upgraded to every version along the way. The version 5 update here I stored so all you have to do is install version 4 and then update to version 5.

Patricia
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I wanted to make sure I thanked all the folks here for all the great information on converting pdfs to lrfs, I really appreciated it. Harry T, I thanked you in another thread also, but too many thanks is not possible for your efforts. Patricia, your Hints and tips document was invaluable. Andybaby, your pictures and insight were extremely helpful as well.

You're very welcome, Amystei. I too found HarryT and JSWolf incredibly helpful when I was starting out a couple of years ago.

Croker
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Hello all!

I've been getting to grips with BD, but it's been a slow, painful process thus far (thanks for your guide, though, HarryT - it's been a great help, as you'll see below!).

Anyway, I have a few queries relating to my first attempt at turning a html file into an lrf for my PRS-505.

I managed to get through the whole process by slavishly following HarryT's guide (and that's no bad thing, by the way), but a few issues have arisen that I need help with.

First of all, whatever I do, I cannot seem to put images into BD when I'm editing a file. I know adding a picture is supposed to be a drag-and-drop affair, but whenever I drag a picture over to use, I get an error noise and a dialogue box saying "?????? ??????? ???????? d:files\ebooks\author name\book name\file name" appears. I click "OK" on this same box, and that's it. Nothing happens, and no images appear in the file. Can anyone help?

Secondly, I set up a TOC as per HarryT's instructions, and it worked nicely (as in, it links to all the correct chapters). However, I notice that the underlining on the contents page (to show that each line of text is a link) only goes under the first word. So, if I have a chapter named "Monkeys", it will appear as "Monkeys". However, if I have a chapter named "Monkeys Are Huge Fun", then it will appear on the TOC as "Monkeys Are Huge Fun", which does not appear at all neat or tidy. Is this is a limitation of the software/reader, or can something be done about this?

Thirdly, where exactly does BD save files that you're working on? I followed HarryT's instructions fully, and whilst I was working on my file, I regularly saved changes I made. I then copied over the "lastfile" folder so I could amend things, and although the lrf I made shows all the changes I made, the BD file in the "lastfile" folder is the vanilla file with no changes. How can I avoid this in future, and where did I go wrong?

Finally, what fonts, if any, can I change to when preparing an lrf file for a PRS-505? Do I need to modify my Reader in any way to accept/install new fonts? I find the "standard" font to be a little bland, and I've been more impressed with the look of the ePub books I've bought so far (I thought David Simon's "Homicide" looked great). The standard look on the Reader is fine, but I'd like to improve it (to my eyes, at least!) if at all possible.

I realise these are rather rambling and vague questions, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! :D

Patricia
02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
1. Pictures are not drag and drop. Click on the insert menu and select "insert picture." (Or click F5).
2. The underlined links are a "feature." Sorry. (But if links weren't underlined, then you wouldn't realise that there were any links.)
If you don't like an underlined first word, then try adding section numbers, then only the number is underlined in "1. Monkeys are Fun."
3. As I have pointed out in my BD hints and tips, it is a good idea to make a BD book file very shortly after importing the book. (Go to Make ebooks and select Book Designer book. This is typically stored in my computer/c drive/program files/ Book Designer 4/BD.)

I've covered some of these queries in the Book Designer Hints and Tips thread here:
I hope it helps.

Patricia
02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
And you can import new fonts. In the make "sony reader book" pane, click on the styles tab and edit and import away.

Croker
02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi Patricia!

Thanks for the tips. As for the images, I'm fairly certain that HarryT's guide does show BD as being capable for dealing with drag and drop (although, obviously, I'm willing to stand corrected!). However, if I press F5 to insert, and browse to where the image is, it won't insert it either! Any suggestions?

I understand why links are underlined, and I think that's fine. However, my issue is that it doesn't underline the whole chapter name, but just the first word. Your work-around of putting a number first is a sensible suggestion, though, so thanks for that. I'm pretty sure, though, that ePub can do this (if I'm remembering the TOC for my ePub copy of "Homicide" correctly), so in the longer term I may have to start down that road instead.

It's a poor "feature" though (IMO), as it's common practice for hyperlinks to be entirely underlined and - given that these are surely the inspiration for TOC links - I find it strange that the Reader should display them in such a way. Never mind!

Finally, I'm pretty certain that my Book Designer 4 folder does not contain a BD folder, as yours does. As such, I have no idea where - if at all - I was saving the book I was working on yesterday. Do you think that, if I create a BD folder within the Book Designer 4 folder, it will save them there? Or should I first select "Save As...", and specify where to save it, and continue that way?

Thanks for all your other advice, though, as well as the link to your "tips" document! :D

Croker
02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Aha. I found the solution to the image problem in this thread here. (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19476)

Anyway, as HarryT's instructions note, images can be put into a BD file by drag-and-drop - I've just tested it now, and it works fine.

I'm still none the wiser as to where my files in progress are being saved. I actually don't think they're being saved anywhere, to be honest. I've created a "BD" folder inside my "Book Designer 4.0" folder, but to no avail. Out of interest, when saving, I should only have to click on the "save" icon for the file to be saved in this "BD" folder, right?

I can't use "Save as..." as a workaround, either, because that doesn't let me choose .html0 as a file format to save in.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide on this on, to be honest!

Sparrow
02-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm still none the wiser as to where my files in progress are being saved. I actually don't think they're being saved anywhere, to be honest. I've created a "BD" folder inside my "Book Designer 4.0" folder, but to no avail. Out of interest, when saving, I should only have to click on the "save" icon for the file to be saved in this "BD" folder, right?

I can't use "Save as..." as a workaround, either, because that doesn't let me choose .html0 as a file format to save in.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide on this on, to be honest!

I read a post from Crutledge that pointed out BD saves to a Temp subfolder while it's up and running - that's the case for me too when I'm running BD.

HarryT
02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
1. Pictures are not drag and drop. Click on the insert menu and select "insert picture." (Or click F5).

They are for me :). Drag and drop from a Windows Explorer window are the way that I always insert pictures into a book!

HarryT
02-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Thirdly, where exactly does BD save files that you're working on? I followed HarryT's instructions fully, and whilst I was working on my file, I regularly saved changes I made. I then copied over the "lastfile" folder so I could amend things, and although the lrf I made shows all the changes I made, the BD file in the "lastfile" folder is the vanilla file with no changes. How can I avoid this in future, and where did I go wrong?

The "lastfile" folder is only written to when you exit BD. Where does it save files when you click the "Save" button and don't exit the program? To be perfectly honest with you, I have absolutely no idea! I come out of BD every so often and copy the "lastfile" folder somewhere safe to save my work.

JSWolf
02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Croker, if you run Vista, please take a look in this thread on how to install BD via Vista. There are some steps that need to be taken that you don't have to do with XP.

Croker
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Croker, if you run Vista, please take a look in this thread on how to install BD via Vista. There are some steps that need to be taken that you don't have to do with XP.

JSWolf - I do run Vista, yes, but I followed the Vista instructions to install, so I think everything's alright on that front! Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself by saying that, though.

HarryT - I see! I didn't know it saved it when I exited the program...I'll tinker around and see what I come up with.

I'm finding BD an incredibly useful tool, just horrible in design on occasion. I'm getting used to its "quirks", though, slowly but surely.

Thanks again for all the info, though! :D

Patricia
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, the simplest way to resolve the problem is to make a BD book and see where it goes. I expect that it would be stored in my comptuter/c drive/program files/ Book Designer 4.0/BD. That's where mine go.
And it does mean that the file is available at a lter date for corrections etc.

JSWolf
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
The best way to know where BD is saving your files is go to settings and click the set path button. Then you can set where it saves the files you will be generating such as the HTML0 and LRF files. I've done that and mine go where I want when I save / create.

Sparrow
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
I've got Book Designer running, working on a file called 'BD Perpetual Curate.html0'.
The time now is 21:38 and I have saved the file several times recently - what I see is:

'Book Designer 4.0\LastFile\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' is timestamped 15:05 - an old version from earlier today.

'Book Designer 4.0\Temp\tmp1\1\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' is timestamped 21:37 - the current version I'm working on.

When I exit Book Designer, the 'Temp\tmp1\1\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' structure will disappear, and the 'LastFile\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' will then get updated.

nrapallo
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I've got Book Designer running, working on a file called 'BD Perpetual Curate.html0'.
The time now is 21:38 and I have saved the file several times recently - what I see is:

'Book Designer 4.0\LastFile\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' is timestamped 15:05 - an old version from earlier today.

'Book Designer 4.0\Temp\tmp1\1\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' is timestamped 21:37 - the current version I'm working on.

When I exit Book Designer, the 'Temp\tmp1\1\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' structure will disappear, and the 'LastFile\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' will then get updated.

Oh, I mistakenly read this post as being part of "The Vent and Rant Thread", but then realized, it wasn't posted as a rant. :rolleyes: Sorry for my confusion. :)

Valloric
02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Where does it save files when you click the "Save" button and don't exit the program? To be perfectly honest with you, I have absolutely no idea!

Isn't BD an absolutely wonderful piece of software? :)

astra
02-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Isn't BD an absolutely wonderful piece of software? :)
The best we have.
I use only BD for 2 years now.

Valloric
02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
The best we have.

With that I completely agree.

Andybaby
04-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Im using windows 7 right now, and i was missing sevral OCX files. after installing both Word 07 and CS4, they come with Visual Basic, but since i have no reason to install it. you can get them here

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/vboledll.html#DownloadControls

Go to VB6, click download Here, Exract the OCX files to \windows\system32

tayeb505
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
how 2 name files? I sometimes get a name like ?????????????? on my PRS 505

motorhead
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Every pdf file I try to open I just get :

AAA ERT TYU

This file was created with BookDesigner program
bookdesigner@the-ebook.org "

If I try to open any other type of file it tells me that it should be completely re-formatted and then I get an error "cannot convert to book designer format" I installed and reinstalled the program numerous times in different drives and folders to no avail. I installed the 4.0 version from the msi file and then I put the update file at the beginning of the thread over the installation. I have microsoft word 2007 enterprise edition. I really can't figure out what the problem might be, any help would be appreciated.

Amystei
06-12-2009, 03:51 PM
First let me say that I love the Book Designer program and use it alot! I've had no problems using it until recently. For some reason, my program has decided it will no longer go into smaller screen mode making it easier to work with Book Cleaner on the side. It stay on maximize. I've looked to see if some settings somehow changed, but didn't see any. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

andyafro
06-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Book Designer & Vista

How To Enable Pictures & Book Covers For Sony Reader

Open Command Prompt, as Administrator. (Right-click on the Command Prompt and select run as administrator.) Navigate to the Book Designer Main directory, and run the following command:

regsvr32 GflAx.dll

This dll was copied to the BD by the update, and needs to be registered to get graphics (such as browse for a cover page) to work properly.

JSWolf
06-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Every pdf file I try to open I just get :

AAA ERT TYU

This file was created with BookDesigner program
bookdesigner@the-ebook.org "

If I try to open any other type of file it tells me that it should be completely re-formatted and then I get an error "cannot convert to book designer format" I installed and reinstalled the program numerous times in different drives and folders to no avail. I installed the 4.0 version from the msi file and then I put the update file at the beginning of the thread over the installation. I have microsoft word 2007 enterprise edition. I really can't figure out what the problem might be, any help would be appreciated.
If any of these PDF are ok to either attach or link, please do so and I'll try opening it in BD.

Patricia
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
First let me say that I love the Book Designer program and use it alot! I've had no problems using it until recently. For some reason, my program has decided it will no longer go into smaller screen mode making it easier to work with Book Cleaner on the side. It stay on maximize. I've looked to see if some settings somehow changed, but didn't see any. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

Have you tried pointing the mouse to the bottom right-hand corner of the BD window and dragiing it to resize the window?

JSWolf
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
One way to sort it is to go into the BD directory and delete the ini file. This should reset the options back to their defaults and you'll have to reset them all. But at least the window size will be fixed. Once the settings are reset, make a backup copy of the ini file to use to put back if the window size ever gets out of whack again.

Amystei
06-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you, both of you. Both things worked. Patricia, I feel so dumb, I never even thought of resizing my window that way, and it makes me laugh. When I kept clicking on the minimize window and it just flashed and stayed the same size I just immediately looked for settings etc.
JSWolf, I'm set now for anything that could set it off again. Many thanks.

Patricia
06-14-2009, 05:37 PM
It's a strange thing about computers, Amystei. We all make apparently daft mistakes occasionally. This is because we don't always think in the same way that the machines are programmed.
The only reason you don't see so many of my daft errors is that either I can ask a technician at work, or one of my fellow moderators.

carlobee
07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
learned a lot from this thread! thank you so much. very useful information.

corroonb
08-17-2009, 01:59 PM
BookDesigner is extremely annoying at times. I just had a crash after trying to make an .lrf and when I restarted the program it reverted to an earlier version from the one I had saved. I used both the save icon and the convert to BookDesigner format and it still reverted to an earlier version for no apparent reason.

HarryT
08-17-2009, 02:23 PM
It doesn't really "save" until you exit the program. Get into the habit of regularly exiting and going back in.

herbdb
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Help me understand what you are trying to do with this program. Why LRF format? I do not see any advantage over pdf, or rtf format. You are using Word as a stepping stone to convert htm to rtf so you can work with a difficult program to convert to lrf. I don't understand, why not just leave it in rtf or use windows to convert to pdf? The reader doesn't care.

corroonb
08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Help me understand what you are trying to do with this program. Why LRF format? I do not see any advantage over pdf, or rtf format. You are using Word as a stepping stone to convert htm to rtf so you can work with a difficult program to convert to lrf. I don't understand, why not just leave it in rtf or use windows to convert to pdf? The reader doesn't care.

LRF is the best format for the PRS series of readers. EPUB is good but not fully justified and has a weird page numbering issue. PDF is not an ebook format.

astra
08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
LRF is the best format for the PRS series of readers. EPUB is good but not fully justified and has a weird page numbering issue. PDF is not an ebook format.

I second that.

JSWolf
08-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I have to somewhat disagree. ePub is better then LRF and any device with ADE is going to have the page number on the right. It's very easy to read the words that are under the page number.

As for PDF I fully agree unless the PDF is made for the screen size and has no silly margins (like no margins).

herbdb
08-28-2009, 09:05 PM
A MS word file saved in pdf format has no margins, and readily resizes on a PRS-700.

Patricia
08-28-2009, 09:19 PM

LRF allows relfowing text, tables of contents. linked footnotes and images. It takes me a few minutes to convert a well-formatted Doc or RTF into LRF and add a cover image and automatic TOC. What's not to like?

MerLock
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I've been using BD for awhile now and I think it works great for the most part. Previously, I've been making .html files witht he use of BD with disregard to font styles like italics and bold face types.

However, I'm finding myself wanting to keep the styles intact and I was wondering if BD is able to do that? I imported a PDF file and it seems like BD looses all the bold and italic face types after the import. Is there any settings that I can play with so that it keeps those?

If it's a problem related to PDF files, would BD retain italics and bold face type of I was to import from anther format like .doc or .lit files?

Thanks

astra
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
If it's a problem related to PDF files, would BD retain italics and bold face type of I was to import from anther format like .doc or .lit files?

Thanks

It is a PDF related problem. BD has a very basic converter for pdf that doesn't retain formatting such as bold or italics. However, if you import anything else, such as doc, rtf, lit or html, it will keep all the necessary formatting.

corroonb
09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I've found a rather weird bug in BD that I think it would be worthwhile to share even though the developer probably is never going to update the program.

When making links from superscript numbers, I've noticed BD sometimes adds an extra pair of superscript tags. It seems to happen when I remove the links in the Note and Link Tool and then go back and relink the superscript number. The superscript got bigger and bigger and even a double superscript has a bad effect on the text by widening the gap between lines. I checked the html and it had added more superscript tags each time I linked the superscript number.

This is an example:

<SUP>
<SUP>
<A href="#uBmk_676750">
<SUP>10
</SUP>
</A>
</SUP>
</SUP>
</DIV>

ebookfab
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I have installed Book Designer 4.0 and the 7/30/2007 update as per the instructions. Installed it to its own folder directly on the root of the C drive and not in Program Files. My operating system is Vista Home Premium (64-bit). When I load an HTML book file all my pictures and graphics are there and visible. When I make a Sony eBook (LRF) with the file, all pictures and graphics have been removed but there is no "error message". (I have another PC with 32-bit Vista installed and it works fine.)

Anyone have any suggestions to help me on the 64-bit Vista PC?
Thanks in advance.
Fred

PDowns
09-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Let me start off by giving a quick rundown.

I really don't know where to start please help!
Thank you.:thanks::thanks:

Patricia
09-26-2009, 06:37 AM
These may help:

HarryT's famous Book Designer tutorial:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

My Book Designer Hints and Tips:

Book Designer and Vista:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10805

Our Wiki entry on Book Designer:
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

delphidb96
10-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a quick question. I've recently moved to a Core2Quad machine running Windows Vista Home Premium (with all the SP updates) and BD simply DOESN'T like opening .doc, .rtf, .html files on it. Is there some directory where I need to put the files to get it to recognize them properly? It worked fine under WinXP.

Derek

nrapallo
10-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I have a quick question. I've recently moved to a Core2Quad machine running Windows Vista Home Premium (with all the SP updates) and BD simply DOESN'T like opening .doc, .rtf, .html files on it. Is there some directory where I need to put the files to get it to recognize them properly? It worked fine under WinXP.

Derek

Simple question to your question: Do you have Word installed (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=84440#post84440) on that Vista computer? ;)

delphidb96
10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Simple question to your question: Do you have Word installed (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=84440#post84440) on that Vista computer? ;)

Ummm... Yes, but I'm getting a message from that that it is not valid. And, of course, I can't seem to get it to let me give it a valid Product Key. Sigh. I *expected* some problems in porting over.... :(

Derek

astra
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I am not sure, but i think you cannot properly install BD under Vista. You have to do some additional things. I believe there were a few topics about it around here.

delphidb96
10-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I am not sure, but i think you cannot properly install BD under Vista. You have to do some additional things. I believe there were a few topics about it around here.

While all that helped, it turned out the REAL problem was that I hadn't installed Microsoft's "Genuine Advantage" validation tool into IE. Who would have guessed? It's working FINE now. Thanks.

Derek

n7tzg
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Is there source code for book designer?

Where might I find it?

Rob

Patricia
10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Is there source code for book designer?

Where might I find it?

Rob

The home forum for Book Designer is here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
It is in Russian, mostly. I don't know whether the source code has been released. You could try sending a PM to vvv, who is the creator and a member of this forum.

HarryT
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM
BD is not "open source" and I don't believe that its source code has been released publically.

Soxendom
10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I've just got a new computer which at the moment has vista 32 bit on it. I will shortly be updating to windows 7 64 bit. Does anyone know whether book designer will work on that and will I have a system32 directory to re-register? the dlls?

Soxendom
10-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Like delphibd96, I've just changed to a vista computer and like them I have word 2007 on my machine. Similarly I can't get BD to open docs or html. I thought the answer was that I didn't have the genuine advange validation tool but when I checked the microsoft site said that it wasn't relevant to vista. Does anyone have any idea how to get BD working?

Now working - uninstalled and reinstalled book designer and it will now open them.

danegeld
11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I've just got a new computer which at the moment has vista 32 bit on it. I will shortly be updating to windows 7 64 bit. Does anyone know whether book designer will work on that and will I have a system32 directory to re-register? the dlls?

I've spent way too much time today trying to get BD to work in Windows 7, which is running (and running extremely well) in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on my MacBook Pro, which is running Snow Leopard. Whew!

Here's what I've discovered:

1. As noted in another post in this thread pertaining to Vista, DO NOT install BD in the Program Files directory. It will launch, but generating an LRF file will not work. I believe it will create a couple of other types of files, but most will fail. Don't try running it in one of the Compatibility Modes. I tried them all and it doesn't help. Just installing outside the Program Files folder does the trick.

2. You will have to download and install the DhtmlEd.msi file from Microsoft. If you run BD after installing and then close it down, you'll get a dialog telling you that it's needed and a link is provided to download it from Microsoft.

3. You won't be able to open or save BD files unless you have Word installed. I have Word 2007 installed in the virtual machine and it works just fine.

4. If you're working with Sony LRF files (I use those exclusively because they're the only ones that will full-justify properly on my PRS-700), you'll obviously want to have Sony's eBook Library installed in order to test your files. I had a lot of trouble with it crashing with a new BD LRF file, but it turned out to be a font problem. I think there may be some change in the interaction of Windows 7, eBook Reader, and fonts that have a Do Not Embed flag, though BD reported the version of Gill Sans I was using as embeddable. In any case, if eBook Reader crashes with a newly-made LRF, it's probably a font issue.

I'm absolutely amazed I've been able to get Book Designer working on my Mac. After successfully installing a couple of other Windows-only programs I'd be hard-pressed to live without on my VMWare Windows 7 virtual machine, I can now get rid of my PC entirely. It's a happy day.

Jester50
11-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Hello everyone, I have been following the post for converting various files using book designer. I followed the steps, but I can into a problem when trying to convert pdf files. When I try to open the file with bd it gives the error message, file can not be opened. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much

Patricia
11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Hello everyone, I have been following the post for converting various files using book designer. I followed the steps, but I can into a problem when trying to convert pdf files. When I try to open the file with bd it gives the error message, file can not be opened. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much

Welcome to the forum, Jester.
It's quite likely that you're not doing anything wrong. It is probably the PDF.

1. PDFs can be made from doc or other text-based files, and BD will usually convert these with no problems. However, it won't handle secure PDFs.
2. Image files can be scanned and saved as PDFs. BD won't handle these either.

Jester50
11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi Patricia, thanks for the help. I have another question. Ok, I know next to nil about computers, and I'm not sure how to tell if a pdf is secured or not. Does anyone know?

Thank you,

Patricia
11-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Open the PDF. Try to save a copy as text. If it won't let you, then it's secured.

Jester50
11-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi, everyone this is my third post and I'm stil having trouble. I've been looking but is there a detailed guide on how to use book designer? There are a lot of technical terms that I don't understand, such as install it in an empty directory or over write the file, plus I'm not sure if there is something that needs to be done for a pc running vista. I have lit files, a few html, and a lot of pdfs. I tried converting the pdfs and kept getting an error message, and the same happened for the lit files. my system kept saying files not found.

Is there anyone who is willing to walk a novice through the steps. I have a sony prs-600 and I'm dying to start using it.

Thanks

HarryT
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I wrote a detailed tutorial on using Book Designer, which you can download here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313). It does, however, assume that you have the programme correctly installed.

Patricia
11-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Harry's tutorial was very useful to me when I first started using Book Designer in May 2007.
I've also produced a document called "Book Designer Hints and Tips" which is in this thread:

Soxendom
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I've just reinstalled book designer on my windows 7 (64 bit) computer and I noticed that I did not have to go through all the fixes that it stated in the wiki. I installed the Dhtmled.msi but did not have to do the other fixes. Actually when I tried to do the one with comct232.ocx, windows said that it didn't exist.
I ran a test converting something to fb2 and it seemed to work fine. I don't know whether it will work for all formats as fb2 is the only one that I use, other than epub for which I use Calibre.

Correction - I did need to register GflAx.dll to get it to import the cover page.

DaleDe
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I've just reinstalled book designer on my windows 7 (64 bit) computer and I noticed that I did not have to go through all the fixes that it stated in the wiki. I installed the Dhtmled.msi but did not have to do the other fixes. Actually when I tried to do the one with comct232.ocx, windows said that it didn't exist.
I ran a test converting something to fb2 and it seemed to work fine. I don't know whether it will work for all formats as fb2 is the only one that I use, other than epub for which I use Calibre.

Correction - I did need to register GflAx.dll to get it to import the cover page.

It would be great if you could update the wiki for Windows 7 use.

Dale

kazbates
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I have gotten my first scanned book successfully loaded into Book Designer and have created an lrf version that looks very good using HarryT's tutorial and Patricia's excellent tips. My only problem is that I cannot insert a picture (either a book cover or a scanned title page). I've tried to drop and drag and use the browser options but neither have worked for me. Nothing appears in the "picture box" or in the width and height boxes as in HarryT's example. I did resize the pictures to 600 x 800 pixels. Any ideas?

JSWolf
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I have gotten my first scanned book successfully loaded into Book Designer and have created an lrf version that looks very good using HarryT's tutorial and Patricia's excellent tips. My only problem is that I cannot insert a picture (either a book cover or a scanned title page). I've tried to drop and drag and use the browser options but neither have worked for me. Nothing appears in the "picture box" or in the width and height boxes as in HarryT's example. I did resize the pictures to 600 x 800 pixels. Any ideas?
If you run Vista or Windows 7, the solution is very easy.

Run a command prompt as administrator. If you don't, the next step will not work.

Next, go to the Book Designer directory.
Type regsvr32 GflAx.dll

That will register the graphics DLL for Book Designer. I've had to do it under Vista and Windows 7.

kazbates
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Jon ~ Thank you so much! It worked like a charm. I had tried to run that command before but was unsuccessful because I didn't try to run it in the Book Designer directory.

I've scanned, OCRed, and Book Designed my first book and am thrilled with the results! I need to do a little more fiddling with the OCR software (Omnipage 17 Standard Edition) to get rid of the book title, author's name, and page numbers without having to do it by hand but other than that, I couldn't be happier. One strange option with OP17 Standard is that it will allow me to make save the opd file as a "Kindle doc". I don't know what that means, but if it makes creating an ebook version easier, I'm all for it (even though they used the word "Kindle" :shudder: :p)

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to help us newbies with Book Designer. HarryT, Patricia, AndyBaby, JSWolfe, etc., you are all my heroes!! ;)

ebookfab
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I cannot navigate to my Book Designer directory using Command Prompt. I have the Book Designer application in my C directory. I guess I need help in the correct syntax to use to get there.

Please ignore message - solved my navigation problem. Book Designer now works perfectly. Fred

Patricia
01-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Book Designer typically installs itself in My computer/c drive/ program files/book designer.

kevindorsey
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I wrote a detailed tutorial on using Book Designer, which you can download here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313). It does, however, assume that you have the programme correctly installed.

Thanks for your work.

Patricia
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
There's also my Book Designer hints and tips here:

confessiontime
05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I just got a new computer that runs windows 7, previously I had windows vista. BD worked just on on vista, I had no problems at all with anything I tried to do.

Now however, I can't get my LIT files to open in BD. Before (on vista) I either ran lit converter then opened the html in BD or I was able to open the lit file directly into bd without having to use lit converter first.

The problem is as follows: When I tried to use lit converter it doesn't work. Nothing converts. When I try to open a LIT book in BD it says that clit.exe has stopped working.

I confess that my knowledge of computers is limited, I tend to figure things out, but it takes a while. I got the hang of BD through a few trial and errors but I'm pretty happy with the results.

I am at a loss with my LIT problem though. I have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. I would br greatful for any help you may offer.

JSWolf
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I tried have not tried opening an MS Reader file in BD under Windows 7. I'll give it a try and report back what happens.

ChrisR1970
11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
I can download the main program at the start of this thread and it works fine; however when I try to download the update file using windows xp, it starts to download it and I get an error message that says the file is invalid or corrupted. I can't download the update and all the other links to it go to some page in Russian. Does anyone have this file unzipped or another link to it?

Paulinafrica
12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
If you run Vista or Windows 7, the solution is very easy.

Run a command prompt as administrator. If you don't, the next step will not work.

Next, go to the Book Designer directory.
Type regsvr32 GflAx.dll

That will register the graphics DLL for Book Designer. I've had to do it under Vista and Windows 7.

I hope that this may help some others who may be stuck on this very basic task, when I go to the Book Designer directory and type regsvr32 GflAx.dll I get an error message that regsvr32 is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file, clearly some kind of permissions issue, after some deliberation I copied the dll file to the Windows\system32 directory and ran the regsvr32 command from there which was succesfull. I am running Win 7 HP 64 bit.
Cheers
Paul

Billbyte
07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi Everybody - I've lurked here long enough and usually found the answers to
all my questions until now. I think mobilread is one of the best forums online todate.

My problems is I have that after I run a disk defrag Book designer wont run. It starts by looking for the install file instead. I have to reinstall it and then reset all my settings. It doesn't happen when I clean the registry only when I defrag the disk. Does this happen to anyone else? And is there a fix for this problem.

My thanks to all.