View Full Version : beginner needs help with epubcheck errors...

jeanina
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I have run my first epub ebook through epubcheck and got the following errors:

I put a stripped down Word file through Smashwords, which created the epub format. What tool do I use to find Line #12 and #27? How do I find and fix these errors?

Thanks, jeanina

# ERROR: test-gwc-ebook.epub/content.opf(12): assertion failed: The "id" attribute does not have a unique value!
# ERROR: test-gwc-ebook.epub/content.opf(27): assertion failed: The "id" attribute does not have a unique value!

jeanina
01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Me again,

I read somewhere to download Sigil, open the epub file in it, then save it. Then retry epubcheck. I did this and it no longer reports those 2 errors. Hurray! Although I still need to learn more about these errors for future fixes.

I see Sigil has line numbers, but since there are so many separate files, how do you know which file to look in for a Line #?

Thanks!
jeanine

wallcraft
01-18-2011, 12:58 AM
I see Sigil has line numbers, but since there are so many separate files, how do you know which file to look in for a Line #? The original error message contained the filename: content.opf. The .opf file houses the EPUB book's metadata, file manifest, and linear reading order. The id's of all items in the manifest must be unique.

jeanina
01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks wallcraft,

It's starting to make sense! although when I looked at the Sigil files...I don't see one named content.obf. Do I need another tool to see this file? I only see a whole bunch of tmp files, all with Line #'s but I don't know which one to look in. Is there a good into website or book to learning what I need to know to make the epubcheck error resolving process easier?

much gratitude,

jeanine

Toxaris
01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
You don't need to see it, but you could use winzip or tweak_epub if you really want to.

In Sigil there is also a built in checker now. That one is better than the epubcheck and describes the errors better. If a file passes that, it should also pass epubcheck.

DMSmillie
01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
If you want to gain a basic understanding of what an EPUB file consists of, and how the different bits fit together, there's a pretty good EPUB tutorial on jedisaber.com :

http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp

Another good tutorial, though much more detailed and a lot more technical, is available in the IBM technical library :

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/tutorials/x-epubtut/index.html

Note, though, that if you're using Sigil, it normally shouldn't be necessary to go in and edit the metadata files inside the EPUB file directly, as Sigil handles that for you, enabling you to focus on the book content. But understanding what goes into an EPUB file might make it easier to understand what's going on beneath the surface, and easier to understand how best to make use of the the tools provided by applications like Sigil. It can also help when trying to figure out what is causing specific errors with epubcheck and similar tools.

DaleDe
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Or just read about ePUB on our wiki!

Dale

DMSmillie
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Or just read about ePUB on our wiki!

Oops... yes, that too! :o

LGN
01-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Use FlightCrew epub checker, its also in Sigil, for far better reporting.
To be honest, there should absolutely no need to fiddle with an unzipped ePUB, just use Sigil.
The error you get seems like your headings have no unique ID's. Did you copy-paste some headings in your ePUB production?

jeanina
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm getting that best Sigil is the software here to use for epubs?
Correct? Any other tools I should learn?

Thanks,

jeanine

DaleDe
01-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Many folks use Calibre in conjunction with Sigil. It is a good tool to convert to ePUB from other formats. Then you can edit in Sigil.

Dale