Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
eBook Explosion

Just returned from a vacation... in the past I've seen very few ebook readers in airports, on planes, etc... but this time I saw more ebook readers than paper books! At one airport terminal I looked up and saw two nooks and a kindle directly across from me, an iPad (reading) behind me, and other ebook readers at various distances such that I couldn't identify them. I didn't see a single paper book. I suspect that if we haven't yet hit critical mass we will very very soon. I became a defacto tech support guy... on two planes I was reading and the person across the aisle from me pulled on their kindle (one K2, and one K3) and started asking me questions about how to use features on them.

The change seems to have come on quite suddenly, and with the number
of new users (who all said that they loved their readers) and the
number of people who asked me about mine and told me that they'd been
considering one, I think that pbook days are numbered. (for serially
read fiction and periodicals, at least)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just returned from a vacation... in the past I've seen very few ebook readers in airports, on planes, etc... but this time I saw more ebook readers than paper books! At one airport terminal I looked up and saw two nooks and a kindle directly across from me, an iPad (reading) behind me, and other ebook readers at various distances such that I couldn't identify them. I didn't see a single paper book. I suspect that if we haven't yet hit critical mass we will very very soon. I became a defacto tech support guy... on two planes I was reading and the person across the aisle from me pulled on their kindle (one K2, and one K3) and started asking me questions about how to use features on them.

The change seems to have come on quite suddenly, and with the number
of new users (who all said that they loved their readers) and the
number of people who asked me about mine and told me that they'd been
considering one, I think that pbook days are numbered. (for serially
read fiction and periodicals, at least)
Interesting. Where is that (in the US?). I travel between the UK and Germany 2/3 times a month and it's still pretty rare for me to see another ebook reader. I think I've seen one Kindle and one Sony in the last 4 round trips.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Planes traveling to/from the US and within the US, so a qualified yes. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
The next few years will be the turning point. The older generation (retirees) will primarily stick to pbooks, and ebooks will continue to expand.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
The older generation (retirees) will primarily stick to pbooks
I don't think so. Lots of older people are changing to ereaders. A big reason is the ability to change font size. Another reason is that for those with mobility issues, ebooks can be bought without leaving the house or even getting out of their chair.

I have seen many threads on MR about people buying ereaders for their parents and grandparents. Reitrees may not think about ereaders on their own, but if they are readers, likely younger family members will think of it for them.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I don't think so. Lots of older people are changing to ereaders. A big reason is the ability to change font size. Another reason is that for those with mobility issues, ebooks can be bought without leaving the house or even getting out of their chair.

I have seen many threads on MR about people buying ereaders for their parents and grandparents. Reitrees may not think about ereaders on their own, but if they are readers, likely younger family members will think of it for them.
There is always an exception to the rule, but that still tends to be a small portion of the "reading retirees". Yes the number is growing but it will not keep up with the current generation that is embracing and using technology at a much faster rate.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
There is always an exception to the rule, but that still tends to be a small portion of the "reading retirees". Yes the number is growing but it will not keep up with the current generation that is embracing and using technology at a much faster rate.
I'm not sure of that, either. Kindle owners already skew older, with half being over 40. That's the demographic in which you find the most people reading...and that's also the demographic most likely to benefit from the ability to increase font size.

Anecdotally, of the three people in my family who received Kindles for Xmas, two were in their late 40s, and one in her early 60's. No one younger than 45 wanted or received a Kindle or other e-book reader.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
screwballl
NewKindler

I can see that too... many of this younger generation (under 25) are so entrenched in technophilia that if the device does not do almost everything, they generally do not want it.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Honestly, I would just be surprised to see people reading. People watching Keyboard Cat videos on their 2.2 inch phone screens are a dime a dozen. People reading... anything, e-books or printed books? A rare breed.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I take a train back and forth from work every day and I have kept a one month running total of the ebook readers that I can see each week and thus far in a one month period from December 14th until January 14th I have found three kindles besides my on Aluratek Libra Pro. And that is out of approximatively 1,000 riders ever day.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I know more people over 40 with ereaders than under 30. They're a big hit with the older crowd who may have given up reading due to eyesight deterioration. My mom is 77, an avid reader, and her Kindle has been a godsend to her. I'm with those who see more eager adoption by older folks, whereas younger people may gravitate toward tablets like the iPad and the winPad (yeah, you know it's coming) so they can do more than just read with it.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
kindle

yeah I don't see the younger generation using Kindles, though they certainly understand them. They're happy to read on any device they have (and, yes, they DO still read...a lot.) In fact, I'd guess just from apocryphal evidence that the 20 to 40 age range is the donut hole where people aren't doing as much leisure reading--whether they are busy, part of the "gamer" generation, or generally not as interested.

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I take a train back and forth from work every day and I have kept a one month running total of the ebook readers that I can see each week and thus far in a one month period from December 14th until January 14th I have found three kindles besides my on Aluratek Libra Pro. And that is out of approximatively 1,000 riders ever day.
Similar here (Germany). I see maybe 3 Kindles per month, maybe a single Sony. Some iPad here and there. Way more smartphones of course.
My gutfeeling: Ratio of paperbooks : eBooks = 50 : 1.
If I'd even include newspapers, the share of eBooks certainly would be below 1%.
And even worse: In the rare occasions I see iPads for example, they're usually used for movies or games. Rarely ever for reading.

When talking to friends and colleagues, who "refuse" eBooks, I mainly hear 3 reasons:
a.) "I want to collect my books or DVDs. I want to see them on the shelf".
b.) "Never again proprietary formats. I've got burned before and won't repeat that mistake".
c.) "I don't see any advantage. It costs the same and I even have to worry about formats".

My personal guess: In the US, commuting and traveling long distances is way more common than in Germany for example. So maybe customers in the US are way more interested in "travel companions".
Personally, I love having my gadgets while "on the road". Having hundreds of books with me. Being able to check restaurants and hotels on my tablets. But looking around, I don't see an "explosion of eBooks".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Lots of older people are changing to ereaders. A big reason is the ability to change font size. Another reason is that for those with mobility issues, ebooks can be bought without leaving the house or even getting out of their chair.
This is bang on. On a recent holiday flying from Canada to Mexico and back again, there were more e-readers in evidence than last year. It's true, not everyone was "old" or "retired"; one athletic looking chap had a graphite Kindle 3 and had to be early 20s-something.

But when you put together: older folks tend to read, older folks tend to read more, older folks tend to use libraries, older folks tend to appreciate convenience and "it just works" over fiddling about, older folks appreciate font size flexibility, older folks are less concerned about collecting complete series, older folks are trying to downsize and ebooks provide great leaps forward for pleasure reading in that department ... Kindles and Kobos et al have a pretty strong value proposition. And, ebooks are typically cheaper than mass market or trade paperbacks of the same title.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
I can see that too... many of this younger generation (under 25) are so entrenched in technophilia that if the device does not do almost everything, they generally do not want it.
My generation will get e-readers when they come with their cell phones. It's very strange, they all read but only when it has to do with social networking.
Im an oddball though, I never had a cell phone or a phacebook.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote