View Full Version : How to add video or audio on ebook

hard13
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
hi.. i think this is my second thread...
does anyone know how to add videos in to ebook (ipad)? i've tried in html editor but when i use calibre to convert, the video is missing...
:help:

hard13
01-17-2011, 05:07 AM
anyone????

Manichean
01-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Try asking in the subforum for the relevant ebook format (I'm guessing it's ePub). Though from what I know, audio/video isn't ordinarily a part of any ebook file specification.

theducks
01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Try asking in the subforum for the relevant ebook format (I'm guessing it's ePub). Though from what I know, audio/video isn't ordinarily a part of any ebook file specification.

My 2 cents.
What he wants is called a Web Page or a Flash :eek: app.

An ePUB is mainly a specific subset of (x)HTML/CSS in a (zip) wrapper

EBOOK readers don't do motion ( I will use the same kind of assumption the O/P did. :rolleyes: Mine has e-ink. Mine is the ONLY type of display. Mine only does TTS from the displayed page, not from a embedded MP3.) the current EPUB encompasses the SUBSET of capabilities of the readers in the market.

hard13
01-18-2011, 05:02 AM
finally i did it ........

:)

paulfiera
01-18-2011, 05:41 AM

How? Did you embed an MP4 movie and were able to play it on your reader?

hard13
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
well i try it on ibooks.. it's work... i think the file format is m4v or 3gp...

JasonPaulClaire
01-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi Hard13 Manichean pointed me to this thread. I've tried for ages to get the same thing done. Embed a video in an epub to read on ipad and can't figure it out :chinscratch:. Could you please tell me how it's done.

Many thanks
Jason

Piper_
01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
[Moved from calibre forum to epub workshop.]

pholy
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I recommend that you read through Liz Castro's blog (http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/) and get her book on epub which you will find there. She has been trying to work with iBooks for some time now, and shares what she discovers.

Freeshadow
01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
*cry* videos inside a book - how *shrug* obscene and heretical

DaleDe
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
*cry* videos inside a book - how *shrug* obscene and heretical

Not so bad for a children's book.

Freeshadow
01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
even worse IMHO - how do you want them to learn reading actually if they got it ALL done?
no motivation to mind about the funny glyphs - just push the triangle button

Toxaris
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't even mention using you imagination... That's part of the fun, seeing what you read in your mind...

Freeshadow
01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
yeah, exactly

p.s.: ahm can i have my pipe back now? ;)

DaleDe
01-29-2011, 11:47 AM
even worse IMHO - how do you want them to learn reading actually if they got it ALL done?
no motivation to mind about the funny glyphs - just push the triangle button

Depends on the age of the child. 2 and 3 year olds aren't too good at reading glyphs. Book reading needs to start early, with a parents help of course.

Dale

JasonPaulClaire
01-29-2011, 12:36 PM
See your points but what about books that deal with crafts. I'm trying to make ebooks with content for a publisher dealing with self help, sugar crafts, meditation, and other really practical things. Imagination is great but does not show a decorated cake as the author would like. Photos are fine but video is great for the follow along

Freeshadow
01-29-2011, 09:28 PM
ok, so let it be a instructory DVD or something - but please not a book.
We k n o w what happened when the web changed from hypertext to all this "blinky flashy soundy" I have kind of frightening feeling that the so called enhancement will develop into the same nuissances.

like "if you like this action - order the foobar trilogy by this author" yadda-yadda banners between the chapters :rolleyes:

JasonPaulClaire
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for that Freeshadow. It doesn't help me to embed video and produce the results I need but have a great day and I really do take all your points.

Does anyone else have any insights into how you combine video into epub books for the iphone/pod/pad

Many thanks for all of your comments and help in advance
Jason

theducks
01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
ok, so let it be a instructory DVD or something - but please not a book.
We k n o w what happened when the web changed from hypertext to all this "blinky flashy soundy" I have kind of frightening feeling that the so called enhancement will develop into the same nuissances.

like "if you like this action - order the foobar trilogy by this author" yadda-yadda banners between the chapters :rolleyes:

You have my vote :thumbsup:
Books have printed words and static images (always hated those pop-up books :) as a child. I would rather read a horse story.)
Audiobooks have their place (and format. "But I can't see the words in my Audio book" Dpo we hear a hugh and cry that authors can't display letters in Audio books :^) )
The OP should use Flash ( Oh! Jobs in his wisdom outlawed Flash :rofl:)

pholy
01-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I recommend that you read through Liz Castro's blog (http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/) and get her book on epub which you will find there. She has been trying to work with iBooks for some time now, and shares what she discovers.

Do check Liz Castro's blog and her book. It's mostly about the trials and tribulations of creating iBooks. The book is well worth the $20.

Freeshadow
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
as theducks already pointed out
ebooks readers in general don't do motion

so if (as you pointed out) said motion is crucial (and not only an extra) for your content why make it an epub at all? epub should be effectively useable on epub capable devices
as also already pointed out it even isn't part of the specs so you don't even want a genuine epub
I'm somehow sad that the only book existing about it actually encourages bloathing and polluting the format.

if you only intend to serve your dish on idevices, why not making it an app?

By the way - I read very interesting and instructive boooks on both topics you mentioned: crafts and meditation both without videoclips embedded (even no thumb-cinema animations in the page corners.

I wish apple would announce their own ipub format for ibooks and let people who want to suffer their ignorance of fonts and love of blinky flashy actually do it instead of bloathing around inside of a format meant for books i.e. for reading (yeah,
that lost and forgotten skill you know - there's actually a short story by Asimov just about that)

a book is a book not a presentation - it seems to be the same weirdnes now as this "make a powerpoint out of that we ar all too dumb to read"

JasonPaulClaire
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you all for your thought and points. Lots of food for thought. I think that whilst apple have not released an format but use ePub I still need to go down this root. So hopefully some one will know how to embed video. I could make an app but still need to keep the flexibility of a book. If anyone has further info I would be grateful to hear how the embedding is done. Thanks in advance, Jason

JasonPaulClaire
02-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Thanks Pholy, I'll check her site out ASAP

JasonPaulClaire
02-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Hi Pholy, Checked out the web page and now am able to generate OCF books that work on the ipad. Thanks for your link and help.

Best wishes
Jason

JasonPaulClaire
02-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Hi Paulfiera. checkout the following

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/2010/05/html5-video-works-on-ibooks-on-ipad.html

I just made a simple webpage, ran this through IE and FIREFOX to see if the video would show. Neither showed the video (well on my system anyways). Ran it through SAFARI and the video played. So I knew I had got the code right. I recommend using SAFARI for testing the code.

Then used CALIBRE to condense to an EPUB (produced and OCF) I uploaded the single OCF to my ipod touch and it worked fine (for some reason it would not play OGG file formats, guess it likes MP4 etc instead.

The following was my html file.

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
video here
<break>
<video src="aa.m4v" NOTE will try MP4 next and post result
controls="true"
width="320"
height="240"
autoplay="FALSE">
</video>
</html>

You can then jazz this up however you like. I hope this helps you and anyone else looking for video in epub.

Best wishes Jason :2thumbsup:thumbsup:

wannabee
02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
I wish apple would announce their own ipub format for ibooks and let people who want to suffer their ignorance of fonts and love of blinky flashy actually do it instead of bloathing around inside of a format meant for books i.e. for reading (yeah,
They did http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...51052178615606

a book is a book not a presentation - it seems to be the same weirdnes now as this "make a powerpoint out of that we ar all too dumb to read"
We've started to print books out of electrons and sparks instead of ink and paper.
I take your point as L. Frank Baum's Wizard of OZ which was wonderfully illustrated for it's time still required imagination.
Video in instructional books will be a godsend for the technically challenged like me. I welcome them.

JasonPaulClaire
02-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Hi Wannabee, your link doesn't work. Could you post again

Thanks
Jason

wannabee
02-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi Wannabee, your link doesn't work. Could you post again

Thanks
Jason
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/2011/02/fixed-layout-epubs-for-ipad-and-iphone.html
I hope this link works for you. Though it's Apple's own format for fixed pages for iBooks not other e-readers or even iPad apps.
This format along with previous successful inclusion of video and audio content is the start to what you are trying to do. It's just that no one's actually doing much like this at present and some don't see a need for it.

Freeshadow
02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
while I'm willing to admit that in certain cases (books abouts crafts and arts as example) an animated illustration might be extremely more helpful than a "still" one
(altough I doubt if the quality 'd remain on small displays) I fear a quality loss for the written content if more and more 'll be shifted towards graphical presentation. (esp. for novels)

JasonPaulClaire
02-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks Wannabe the link works fine now and thanks for your comments. I've bookmarked it and will read it later. Once again we truly see that technology offers something for everyone whatever their bag.

Many thanks for the information
Have a great day and thanks once again
Jason

DigitalBook
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Hi , im quite intrested in embedding audio into ebooks, how did you manage to do it.

Thanks

LGN
03-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I start to wonder why we have ePUB specs in the first place, in everyone, even Apple and publishers just do things not defined in the standard (yet). The focus on iPAD only seems strange. Also the ePUBS with video are usually denied on iPAD?
Currently it seems the standard and the market are in a kind of flux. 'Normal' eInk readers versus iPad. It's strange that Apple doesn's support ePUB fully and on the other hand supports things that are not yet in the ePUB specifications. Sounds more like iPUB to me at this time.
Now, I understand some publications can benefit from embedded video/audio, sure, but I'm just worried that this is Apple's way to devide the eReader community into yet another standard.

DaleDe
03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
It is not just Apple. ADE is also non-standard with its own extensions and omissions and Barnes and Noble has their own twist as well. There is even a copycat mpub targeted at mobile phones. It would seem that without enforcement a standard cannot stand however, we are better off I think than with a proprietary format from the beginning.

Adjust
03-27-2011, 05:48 PM
while I'm willing to admit that in certain cases (books abouts crafts and arts as example) an animated illustration might be extremely more helpful than a "still" one
(altough I doubt if the quality 'd remain on small displays) I fear a quality loss for the written content if more and more 'll be shifted towards graphical presentation. (esp. for novels)

What about University Text books?
Science, Math, Accounting, Engineering, Arts. etc etc etc...
Anatomy Text Books... (I know I wouldn't want student using their imagination in this instance :D )
Secondary School books...

You don't think Video would be handy in those cases.

What about magazines?

There are multitudes of reasons and uses for adding video into epub. Just Because you don't like it doesn't make it invalid.

Freeshadow
03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
what you describe is educational multimedia material and no longer a BOOK
I don't want books to behave like movies, the same as I don't want movies to behave like books (teleprompter DVD?)

Adjust
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
what you describe is educational multimedia material and no longer a BOOK

Sorry? When is a text book not a book? If it were printed it would be called a book? Because it has video in place of an image doesn't make it any less a book.

If that's that case then all ePubs are "electronic multimedia" and not, in fact, "books" including your novels.

Freeshadow
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
if it speaks, beeps, blinks and waggles - distracting me from reading - it's no longer a book

theducks
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Sorry? When is a text book not a book? If it were printed it would be called a book? Because it has video in place of an image doesn't make it any less a book.

If that's that case then all ePubs are "electronic multimedia" and not, in fact, "books" including your novels.

When it becomes a Multi-Media presentation.
Books have static Images (that includes 'Type') in the display media.
Clay Tablets, Cave Walls, Vellum, modern paper, even a computer display.

Static (non-changing) is the keyword. Anything else is not a book and IMHO, conforms to the other definition of 'Static': (Noise)

Freeshadow
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
a big ++ to that

wannabee
03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
....and theducks and Freeshadow close the sitting room window to stifle the racket coming from those rag-tag neighbours who recently moved in. "What on earth are they doing over there making all that noise?"
The children have a book that goes "quack quack it's a duck" and "woof woof here is Fido" and the children scream with laughter after turning every page while the "tut-tut tutting" can be heard from behind the BeBook and Aztek Pez.

Freeshadow
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
That's NOT fair. I meant real books i.e. for LITERATE PEOPLE or aiming at making them literate *weeps* and no bookalike children toys. :smack::smack::smack:

wannabee
03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
OK it was tongue in cheek and I didn't mean to offend but I think I made a valid point. What's the difference between a "bookalike" book that goes quack and an ebook that goes quack?

edit: Literacy? Arguably it is for teaching and learning which has to start somewhere.

Freeshadow
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
OK it was tongue in cheek and I didn't mean to offend but I think I made a valid point. What's the difference between a "bookalike" book that goes quack and an ebook that goes quack?

the bookalike book as you name it isn't one. its a toy that looks a bit like a book and makes annoying noises.

If it speaks and/or makes annoying noises it's (in best case) a dramatised reading or a radio play but not a book anymore.

I see kiddos here in germany growing up with that crap instead of real books. and then all these idiots in charge just wonder why the young generation is so painfully dumb...

theducks
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
and follow the 'party line' like sheep :rolleyes:

theducks
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
BTW My mother supplied the sound effects when she read books to us.

At least until we got our own library card (3rd grade). From then on, it was up to my imagination to fill in the effects.

I blew through the 'Juvenile' section in 2 years and had to get permission to read from the YA section.

We had TV (Annette Flunecello was a new Mouseketeer).
Imagination was not limited to Black and White ;)

wannabee
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
baaaaaa
Annette was my favourite too!

Freeshadow
03-29-2011, 08:14 AM
At least until we got our own library card (3rd grade).
I blew through the 'Juvenile' ... and had to get permission to read from the YA section. Sounds familiar + extra allowance to check out more than three volumes at once - to minimize nesessary visits to once a week.

wannabee
03-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Sounds familiar + extra allowance to check out more than three volumes at once - to minimize nesessary visits to once a week.

Guys . . . . just get a room :o

georg3200
09-19-2011, 07:08 AM
hi there,
I integrated audio in a book, which works fine.
Now I use the autoplay attribute to make the file play each time you flip to that page. so it should play each time this short page shows on the screen.
But this works only once. Then you have to close the book and open it again to hear the sound.

Here is my code:
<audio autoplay="autoplay" loop="0" preload="auto">
<source src="test.mp3" type="audio/mp3"/>
</audio>

I've played around with loop and preload, but always the same. autoplay="true" makes no difference. The sound plays once, then never again until I re-open the book.

Does someone has a clue?
Thanks