View Full Version : Deconstructing Plucker Files

sUnShInE
11-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Question: Is it possible to convert a Plucker file to iSilo format, or is there an intermediary format it can be formatted to?

A friend, helpfully, sent me a cool file. It's apparently a Plucker PDB. I really don't want to have to get Plucker to read it.

TIA :)

dsmudger
05-20-2005, 07:34 AM
I have a similar problem - can't install Vade Mecum (or plucker) but want to read the files using Pocket IE - does anyone know a way to unpluck to a folder containing images and HTML?

Alexander Turcic
05-20-2005, 08:05 AM
David would be the man to answer, but from what I know, there is now at least documented way of reverting Plucker documents.

cbarnett
05-22-2005, 12:46 AM
I've got a utility that lets you read older plucker documents in windows, and it acutally converts the plucker document back to html as part of the process. I don't know how well it would work with the newer features (larger images, tables, etc), but if anyone wants a copy, pm me with your email address and I'll shoot it over.

Craig.

hacker
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Plucker ships with tools to do exactly this (and has for quite some time)... check the ./tools subdirectory. Many people have asked for this over the years, so there you are.

Note: it doesn't give you "the website" back, it simply gives you an HTML representation of exactly what Plucker sees; flat stripped HTML and resized images.

rsperberg
11-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Plucker ships with tools to do exactly this ... check the ./tools subdirectory.

I don't locate a subdirectory called tools in my installation of Plucker on Windows.

Thinking I may have mistaken your reference, I also looked for such a tool at www.plkr.org/tools

What is the tool called? What is the proper form for invoking it? With greater specificity, can you tell me where I should be looking for it?

Thanks,

Roger Sperberg

hacker
11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Its in the tools subdirectory of the source tree.

Bob Russell
11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow, I just discovered this thread. What a great plus for Plucker over the competition. With other formats you are dependent on the one reader to access the content. With this, it sounds like you have a way to get content into a permanent form (HTML) if necessary. In the future, I may have to reconsider how I collect content I want to keep permanently and include Plucker in the mix.

Colin Dunstan
11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I didn't know! Always thought HTML-to-Plucker was an irreversible process. Need to check out this tool later.

rsperberg
11-21-2005, 02:06 PM
If someone makes an app that can run in Windows from this, please let us know.

I too think that this is a really useful thing, not just for the developer but for the user/reader.

Laurens
11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but you won't get your original HTML back. Rather, you get an HTML representation of the Plucker document. You'll find that even basic things like lists (<ul>, <ol>, <li>) are not supported. Not a fault of the Plucker format, just a consequence of having documents converted to a format suitable for rendering on a handheld.

There's a Windows version of the Plucker HTML viewer. See this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3130) for the links.