View Full Version : How do you like your format?

JSWolf
06-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Do you prefer your paragraphs to have line separation between them like most palm formatted books or do you like your paragraphs to not have the line space?

If you chose no line space,would you like to have the formatters bother to remove them whenever possible?

I don't care for the line spaces and using Word, it's very easy to remove the line spaces in a text file.

RWood
06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
While I like line spaces -- old habits die hard -- another thread about the same topic seemed to end with the majority favoring no additional space between paragraphs.

I have tried, for the most part, to make the Harvard Classics series conform to this standard. For my own use only I still insert the extra line between paragraphs.

HarryT
06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
It depends on the device.

On a device with a small screen (Palm/Pocket PC) I prefer unindented paragraphs with a blank line between them.

On a larger screen (eg Sony Reader) I prefer paragraphs with an indented first line and no blank lines between paragraphs.

Steven Lyle Jordan
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm with HarrtT... either way works for me.

NatCh
06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I liked the "unindented with lines between the paragraphs" for the Palm too, I found that with the smaller screen I needed the extra visual cue. The Reader doesn't, not for me anyway, and I really have no intention of going back to reading on my Palm. :shrug:

BruceW
06-19-2007, 03:27 PM
What about following the "Type Setting" standard of after a paragraph (hard return) that instead of the normal spacing between lines it is increased by 1/2. This is what is what the new style guides define as proper when using all electronic publication devises and word processors. All newspapers and printed books (yes I mean those antiquated devises) currently use.

This convention makes indented or non indented paragraphs very easy to identify and read. The use of an additional blank line after a paragraph is on old typewriter convention that should have disappeared years ago.

If we are going to be using modern devises lets do it properly if at all possible.

yvanleterrible
06-19-2007, 03:41 PM
For me it only depends on the width of the page. If the page is pretty wide, my eyes will tend to wander from a line to the other. Having a space will help to stay focused on a particular line with more ease.

I believe this to be one of the factors why multiple columns were used in wide format printing. If everything was printed the whole width, they'd have had to put spacing lines. With multiple columns they did'nt and were able to cram more text on a page. And since printing was difficult and expensive...

The reader is not wide enough to justify the need for an extra line other than esthetics.

NatCh
06-19-2007, 03:42 PM
If we are going to be using modern devises lets do it properly if at all possible.The thing is that all these conventions are arbitrary ones based on what works best for people, so there will always be folks for whom a different way works better. This is one of those things where "most popular" is a better label than "proper" will ever be, regardless of nice it would be if there were a clear right answer. :shrug:

Hadrien
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm used to paperback books and on those, there's no blank lines between the paragraphs. Instead of this, the paragraphs are idented.

That's what we're using on Feedbooks.

JSWolf
06-19-2007, 04:36 PM
What about following the "Type Setting" standard of after a paragraph (hard return) that instead of the normal spacing between lines it is increased by 1/2. This is what is what the new style guides define as proper when using all electronic publication devises and word processors. All newspapers and printed books (yes I mean those antiquated devises) currently use.

This convention makes indented or non indented paragraphs very easy to identify and read. The use of an additional blank line after a paragraph is on old typewriter convention that should have disappeared years ago.

If we are going to be using modern devises lets do it properly if at all possible.
I'm looking at a fairly recent paperback book and there are not 1/2 line spaces between the paragraphs. In fact, I've not see any books that do that. Besides, as long as you indent each paragraph, then there is no need for any extra space between the paragraphs.

BruceW
06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
OK so going to the references :book2: was a bad idea again:oops2: but I still think that adding an additional 1/2 line would be be a good solution/compromise so that non indented paragraphs and indented paragraphs would work equally well.

I like this compromise. Maybe it is because I am a Canadian and therefore I am genetically programmed to compromise. :D

Andanzas
06-20-2007, 07:27 AM
I prefer indented paragraphs as well. Blank lines between paragraphs are disorienting (I am not used to them). Because they inflate the number of pages, then it's more difficult for me to calculate how much time I am going to need to read something. Well, not a big deal, but still...

astra
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I have voted for the first option but I am not sure I have choosen the right one. It would be nice if someone could post one example for each option. full soony reader screen pic.

yvanleterrible
06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
I like this compromise. Maybe it is because I am a Canadian and therefore I am genetically programmed to compromise. :D

No way around it eh! :laugh4:

nekokami
06-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I like a half-line between paragraphs. I can go either way with indentation.

Hadrien
06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Blank spaces, are an old habit that we have on LCD screens. On a computer screen it is much easier to read this way, but on a reading device no blank spaces and indenting is the closest choice to a real book.

JSWolf
06-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Blank spaces, are an old habit that we have on LCD screens. On a computer screen it is much easier to read this way, but on a reading device no blank spaces and indenting is the closest choice to a real book.
It's still easier on my LCD COMPUTER SCREEN to read with no line spaces and proper indents.

yvanleterrible
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I dare you to stay on the same 8pt.line with a 23"wide display! :laugh4:

NatCh
06-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Dares go first. :mad:

JSWolf
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
I dare you to stay on the same 8pt.line with a 23"wide display! :laugh4:
I have a 20.1" LCD monitor running at 1600x1200.

I read three lines across the screen at 8pt size and read it just fine. I can see small stuff pretty good except letter/A4 PDF on the Sony Reader as it renders it not all that clear.

yvanleterrible
06-20-2007, 03:08 PM
You got me! How old are ya?

JSWolf
06-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm 43.

NatCh
06-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Hmmm. I think I was guessing you were about 13 years older than me, I was under by 6. :tongue3:

Good eyes you've got there, I doubt I could do what you're describing, and I thought my eyes were pretty good. :shrug:

JSWolf
06-20-2007, 03:35 PM
My eyes see really well close up. I do have glasses for distance. I wear them mostly for driving. But I do see not too bad in the distance. Have togo get my eyes checked sometime next year for sure. Been a while since I've done so.