Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
omar504
omar504 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Buying a kindle for Australia and recharging in Europe

Greetings
I'm in Australia and I'm thinking of getting a kindle. I've noticed that some people have had trouble recharging from the power point using other brands of rechargers.My questions are:
1.would it bewise to get the optional power adapter from amazon ($9.99) so that I can be sure it will recharge from power point in Oz
2.I'm going to europe in may and think it would be wise to get the europe adapter-also from Amazon so that I can be sure I will be able to recharge. The main point of buying the kindle is having it for europe but if I can't recharge it there wouldn't be much point!
Has anyone with the international kindle used the amazon adapters?
omar504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The Kindle 3 has far less issues than the Kindle 2 when charging. Most USB's charge the Kindle 3. I have the Amazon adaptor for the Kindle 3 and which also charges the kindle 2. So get one if you want to, they are quite cute. But there are many generic USB's that will do the job now, and if you get an international USB charger, it will charge the kindle (and other items) anywhere.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Your kindle charges via an usb to micro usb cable. It comes with one so you can:

1 - in the normal usb side of the cable you can put any usb to wall/car charger you want and it will charge from a wall plug or car cigarette plug;

2 - or just connect it to a powered usb port - normal computer, usb hub, etc… - and you can charge it too.

So… even in Europe, with a usb to micro usb cable with you and a computer with at least a usb port in the neighbourhood and you will have no problems maintaining your kindle charged.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
omar504

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was thinking of getting the amazon USB to power outlet for europe is that it will save me the hassle of taking the adapter plug that I already have as it's pretty hefty
Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
When I took my Kindle to Germany, I just got an adapter plug (US to German) and it recharged just fine :-)
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The charger I received with my UK Kindle is a multivoltage one that works everywhere in the world. All you need is a light/small plug adapter that just make it physically possible to plug in and not the big chunky voltage transformers which actually alter the voltage.

The issue however is that I'm not sure that you do actually get a bundled charger with your Kindle if you order it to Australia. Not all regions have it bundled. Some don't and you're expected to buy your own charger or charge it from a computer.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
omar504

I've just checked the Amazon Int.kindle and it says you get:
USB 2.0 cable
(for connection to a Kindle power adapter or to connect to a computer.)

So it sounds like you don't get the adapter to plug into the wall....they offer a special price for the adapter and you choose US,UK,Europ or Oz...so looks like I would need one,or a 'generic' one bought locally.
needless to say I'm not tech savvy so thanks for the responses!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You should be good with any generic USB chargers that give you 5V at 500+mA. You want it to be 5V but the current (500mA) the charger provides can be higher since that just means the charger is capable of providing it. The Kindle will draw as much current as it needs so higher current capacity on the charger is fine and in certain devices, will actually mean the battery charges faster because the device can draw more power during charging.

500mA is what is provided by a computer USB port which is a listed charging method in the Kindle manual. The UK Kindle charger supplies 0.85A aka 850mA for a slightly faster charge.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I don't know the Aussie power plug shape and size but the US one is quite small. And European adapter plugs for the US one are pretty common, although you may need different ones in Northern and Southern Europe (Italy and German I believe use different). So getting a US plug and then an adapter for use at home in Australia and then a European adapter should not set you back much. But if the Aussie plug is small/simple then that could be the way to go.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
If you're going to have access to any type of computer. just take the USB lead and re-charge from that. No need for any adaptor, anywhere.

When I go on holiday, I take a laptop, mobile phone, digital camera and Kindle, but the only power supply I take is for the laptop, all the rest can re-charge from that via USB. I've got small, light, cables for each of them - saves greatly on weight in my carry-on.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote