Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
library 3.3 doesn't recognize reader

Hi,

I have the old PRS 500, didn't send it in for the ePub update.

I have a new laptop (windows 7) and installed the 3.3 version library.

When I start it up, nothing happens when I connect my reader.
I found and older version 3.0.01, but the same thing.

Is there older library software that I can still add files to the reader from my pc? I am not too interested in getting them from the sony store, just want to be able to add the lrf files from mobile read.

Thanks!
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
If you haven't updated your 500 so that it can read epubs, the problem is probably that your computer is running Windows 7 64-bit.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...YES&mdl=PRS500
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...pl?upd_id=5996
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
Hi,

I have the old PRS 500, didn't send it in for the ePub update.

I have a new laptop (windows 7) and installed the 3.3 version library.

When I start it up, nothing happens when I connect my reader.
I found and older version 3.0.01, but the same thing.

Is there older library software that I can still add files to the reader from my pc? I am not too interested in getting them from the sony store, just want to be able to add the lrf files from mobile read.

Thanks!
You need to install driver. 500 was the only one that needed a driver to be recognised.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
If you haven't updated your 500 so that it can read epubs, the problem is probably that your computer is running Windows 7 64-bit.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...YES&mdl=PRS500
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...pl?upd_id=5996
I do have 64 bit. So the only way to make it work is updating through the sony process or using older windows?

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You need to install driver. 500 was the only one that needed a driver to be recognised.
Can;t find any separate driver except for the 3.3 library software, do you happen to have a link?
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No I don't. Don't you have an original CD that came with 500?

Although, I am not sure it will work with 64 bit, but it is worth to try.
If not, what w7 version do you have?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Interesting post, didn't know this could happen.
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Have a look at calibre.
See this post
It seams there is even a x64 driver in the driver-folder.
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
sgtwill7729
sgtwill7729 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
The driver won't work with x64, and even if it did, any new book from the reader store will be in epub format. The good news is that if you call Sony support, they will send you a shipping label and update the device for free. It isn't exactly quick, but they will do it. I sent mine in early December and they told me that it will be back this week.
sgtwill7729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtwill7729 View Post
The good news is that if you call Sony support, they will send you a shipping label and update the device for free. It isn't exactly quick, but they will do it. I sent mine in early December and they told me that it will be back this week.
If you live in the USA?
He lives in Austria.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtwill7729 View Post
The driver won't work with x64, and even if it did, ...
You know this by own experience, or are you just guessing?

If you have read the inital post
Quote:
I am not too interested in getting them from the sony store, just want to be able to add the lrf files from mobile read.
melksnor is just searching a way to connect his reader to his new laptop.

@astra: Austria seams to be me.

Last edited by Mark Nord; 01-08-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Oops. Sorry
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
sgtwill7729
sgtwill7729 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
You know this by own experience, or are you just guessing?

If you have read the inital post

melksnor is just searching a way to connect his reader to his new laptop.

Missed the bit about no new Sony books, but yes I do know about the driver from experience. It won't even work if you install XP Mode and try to run the Reader Library virtualized. My suggestion would be to load the lrf files on a SD card.
sgtwill7729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader

Well I think that clears it up.

PRS 500 unupdated by Sony + 64 bit = no go....

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Well I think that clears it up.

PRS 500 unupdated by Sony + 64 bit = no go....

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
You never answered my question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
what w7 version do you have?