View Full Version : Sideloading and Whispersync

mikemc2
12-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Will files that have been sideloaded to the K3 sync with other devices? I have recently purchased a K3 and I'm not seeing files I sideloaded showing up on my iPod Touch or K4PC. Does this feature only work with content downloaded from Amazon or am I missing something? :blink:

HarryT
12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, sync only works with books bought from Amazon.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Correct. Syncing only works with content purchased from Amazon. It would be cool if someone would develop a Kindle app that would sync all content no matter where it comes from. :)

mikemc2
12-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for quick responses! I was afraid that was the case but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting or something. It would be a nice feature but I'm guessing that AMZN probably doesn't think there are that many people sideloading content.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I think it has more to do with them having access to an exact copy of that same content on their servers, so that they can do the sync (a totally wild guess on my part).

mikemc2
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I think it has more to do with them having access to an exact copy of that same content on their servers, so that they can do the sync (a totally wild guess on my part).

You're probably right, the content would have to first be uploaded to the Amazon servers then downloaded. They wouldn't be wrong in being leery of having things sitting on their servers that may be of questionable legality either.

DiapDealer
12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Actually, you can get non-Amazon purchases to sync (Furthest Point Read only - no notes or bookmarks) between multiple devices, but you have to be willing (and able) to fiddle with the metadata -- and it has to be an ebook that Amazon does sell in order to work.

If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices.

mean_gene
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I keep a copy of all non-amazon content in Calibre as a backup and sync it up as needed. I usually charge from my USB port so it's pretty automatic for me.

mikemc2
12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
"If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices."

Interesting, I think some tinkering may be in order...

DiapDealer
12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Interesting, I think some tinkering may be in order...
Check out the MobiPerl Tools thread (stickied) down in the Mobi forum for details on how to alter/add EXTH records.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Actually, you can get non-Amazon purchases to sync (Furthest Point Read only - no notes or bookmarks) between multiple devices, but you have to be willing (and able) to fiddle with the metadata -- and it has to be an ebook that Amazon does sell in order to work.

If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices.

So are you're saying that a book I may have purchased from another site ("Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for example purchased from the Sony site) can be synced if I convert it to mobi for my Kindle, as long as I change the metadata values? That would be really groovy, if I understand correctly!

DiapDealer
12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
So are you're saying that a book I may have purchased from another site ("Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for example purchased from the Sony site) can be synced if I convert it to mobi for my Kindle, as long as I change the metadata values? That would be really groovy, if I understand correctly!
That is correct. But only the furthest read point.
Unfortunately, calibre doesn't allow you to add (or manipulate) the 113 or the 501 EXTH metadata records. Mobi2mobi is the only tool I've found that will allow you to add the proper records to an ebook that doesn't have them.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 03:59 PM
That is groovy! I've only used the Mobi2Mobi GUI. I'll have to do some experimenting. :)

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
The Mobi2Mobi GUI does work to add the EXTH info for 113 and 501. I used it on the January MR selection book club (part of this collection). I'll see how it goes with syncing and report back. Thanks DD!

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
So far, no syncing love. I upgraded my version of K4PC and loaded the book on it. I went to a location near the back of the book and set a bookmark for my furthest page read (so I could find it again). I closed the book and forced a sync with K4PC.

I then loaded the same book file on my K3, forced a "sync and check for new items" and opened the book. It did not open to the page I bookmarked as my furthest page read. While the book was open I forced a "sync to the furthest page read" and the message you see in the image below. I tried this a few times with no luck. :( Have I missed a step?

Solicitous
12-27-2010, 09:18 PM
That error I have had with Amazon purchased content. It has required me to just close the ebook on the Kindle, re-open it and then sync. For me the issue generally comes about if the ebook is open on my Kindle and I read on my ipod, sync then go to the Kindle and tell it to sync.

So perhaps it takes a min or two for Amazon to update the furthest page read??

DiapDealer
12-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I tried this a few times with no luck. Have I missed a step?
Hmmm... not sure.
It's been a while since I've used the feature, so I tried it all again just to make sure I wasn't handing out bum advice... and it's still working for me. I took a non-Amazon version of Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice, converted it to mobi and made the 113 and 501 changes with Mobi2Mobi-Gui (I normally use the command-line version on Linux, so I wanted to make sure that the gui version on Windows wasn't doing things differently). I plopped the file in K4PC and on my K2, synced both devices, then changed to a later location (on the K2) and synced. Then I opened K4PC and opened the book and it immediately asked if I wanted go the the location that I had read to on my K2.

I also tested it going the other way... advancing the location on K4PC, syncing, and reopening the book on my K2 and syncing to furthest page read. It asked me if I wanted to jump to the location from K4PC.

I'm using a K2 and K4PC ver. 1.3.0 (30884)

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 09:34 PM
It hours later and it still won't sync. The book has been opened and closed multiple times on K4PC and on the K3.

I don't need to sync often since I only read on my Kindles but the few times I have had to use it with my iPod Touch (with my official Kindle books), there hasn't been a problem. Maybe this book is just weird or I need to make more changes to the metadata.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm using a K2 and K4PC ver. 1.3.0 (30884)

The upgrade to K4PC was to v. 1.3.0. If it matters, the original format was an ePub from Fictionwise converted via Calibre.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I just thought of something. I saved the converted book as .mobi instead of .azw. I'm going to make the change and try again.

EDIT: Nope that didn't work either. Must be this book. I'll try different one tomorrow.

daffy4u
12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
1 - While both my K3 and K4PC had the converted version of TUHHGTG, I tired to download the Kindle version of the book to my K3 (don't ask me why I bought 2 formats of the same book :)). It would not download and I could not find it in my K3 archives. The K3 believed I had the Kindle version already.

2 - I deleted the converted version from my K3 and downloaded the Kindle version and tried to sync again with K4PC. No real surprise, it did not work.

3 - I decided to load the converted version onto my K2, to see if the software made a difference. It did... sort of. My K2 converted book tried to sync with the K3 Kindle book (forget about K4PC) and it did BUT it did not sync to the correct location... sort of.

It turns out the number of locations are different between the versions. So K2 with the converted book has 16,295 locations and K3 has 17,124 locations. The location I was trying to sync to was the Forward at location 113-19 on K3. The closest I could get on K2 was location 113-33 but is was mid-way through the TOC.

What does all of this mean? I don't know, I just found it interesting. :)

DiapDealer
12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
What does all of this mean? I don't know, I just found it interesting.
I think it means... don't go trying to sync non-Amazon content when your Amazon archive has that content in it already. ;)

Seriously, though... I'd test it on books that you don't have Kindle versions of already. That way, it doesn't exist in your Amazon archive... and you won't potentially be mixing and matching different versions of the ebook file.

TallMomof2
12-28-2010, 09:07 AM
You have to sideload the books. If you send it via Whispernet then Amazon strips the metadata that you added to allow syncing.

daffy4u
12-28-2010, 10:00 AM
You have to sideload the books. If you send it via Whispernet then Amazon strips the metadata that you added to allow syncing.

I added the converted book via Calibre to K2 and K3. I then opened the same file with K4PC. I rarely send anything through Amazon anymore (maybe the occasional newspaper recipe). :)

daffy4u
12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I think it means... don't go trying to sync non-Amazon content when your Amazon archive has that content in it already. ;)

Seriously, though... I'd test it on books that you don't have Kindle versions of already. That way, it doesn't exist in your Amazon archive... and you won't potentially be mixing and matching different versions of the ebook file.

Ah Ha! Your brilliance knows no bounds. That makes a lot of sense. I'll try it out later. This could end up being a wiki page. :)

daffy4u
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah! This time I used the book "Bone Song (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Song-ebook/dp/B00150K3J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1293560227&sr=1-1)" which I am reading on my 650 and is not in my Kindle book library archive. :rolleyes: This book went from Secure eReader to ePub to Sigil (for some clean up) to mobi (looks better in mobi than it does in ePub).

Anyway, I used the Mobi2Mobi GUI to make the metadata changes, transferred the book via USB to my K3 and opened it in K4PC. On K4PC, I searched for a passage from the page I'm reading on the 650. Found it and forced a sync, then closed the book. I turned on the WiFi on my K3, forced a sync then opened the book and synced to the furthest page read and it worked!

There will be a wiki page for this. Thanks again DD.

EDIT: I did make sure to change the file .mobi to .azw in Windows Explorer.

DiapDealer
12-28-2010, 02:20 PM
There will be a wiki page for this. Thanks again DD.
No problem at all. :)

EDIT: I did make sure to change the file .mobi to .azw in Windows Explorer.
It works for me either way, but it's probably not a bad idea to do so.

daffy4u
12-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Let me ask you this DD... I want to test this with my iPod Touch. Do you know how I can access the Touch to add my test book? I know people have been doing this for a while but haven't been paying attention. :)

DiapDealer
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Let me ask you this DD... I want to test this with my iPod Touch. Do you know how I can access the Touch to add my test book?
Sorry, you've stumbled upon my one (ok, maybe three or four) weakness(es). I know nothing about i(Pod|Phone|Pad) devices. :o

I seem to remember seeing some threads about sideloading books on these devices floating around here.

daffy4u
12-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry, you've stumbled upon my one (ok, maybe three or four) weakness(es). I know nothing about i(Pod|Phone|Pad) devices. :o

What! :eek: Say is ain't so, oh big brain with little legs!

That's okay, I'll go with it as is and if and when I find the info, I can add it later. Thanks again. :)

arcadata
12-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the tip! I would love to be able to sync my sideloaded books :2thumbsup

daffy4u
12-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Wiki page is up! :)

Kindle Sync with non-Amazon eBooks

DiapDealer
12-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Wiki page is up!
Very nice!

For the record, the same thing can be done on Linux and Mac machines that have the MobiPerl Tools installed... it would just have to be done with the command-line version of mobi2mobi as there is no gui. Definitely a PITA for some, but still do-able. :)

daffy4u
12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Very nice!

For the record, the same thing can be done on Linux and Mac machines that have the MobiPerl Tools installed... it would just have to be done with the command-line version of mobi2mobi as there is no gui. Definitely a PITA for some, but still do-able. :)

I'll add that little tidbit. Thanks again! :)

If any Mac or Linux Gurus want to tackle this please let me know.

daffy4u
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Well, thanks to m0ngr31's thread ASIN info (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1306779#post1306779), we now know that the ASIN of a pBook can be used if Amazon does not sell a Kindle version.

I tested a freebie I got from B&N called "Deadly Sanctuary (http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Sanctuary-Kendall-ODell-Mystery/dp/0966110579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293921147&sr=1-1)" by Sylvia Nobel. It is the first book in a series and is only available as a paperback on Amazon. The first version of book I found did not have an ASIN number but I found copies being sold by individuals (http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Sanctuary-Suspenseful-Mystery-Arizona/dp/B000NDGWLA/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293918344&sr=1-7) on Amazon did have an ASIN.

I followed the same procedure using the Mobi2Mobi GUI (with K4PC and K3) and it worked just fine!

I'll be updating the wiki accordingly.

NoWorthWhile
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
This is awesome.

Is there anyway though to batch save the exth data on a lot of books at the same time?

phil75070
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Deadly Sanctuary WAS available from Amazon as an eBook at least for a short time as I have it on my K3 and is still listed in my "Your Orders" section of my Manage Your Kindle page. I downloaded it on 12/24.

daffy4u
01-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Deadly Sanctuary WAS available from Amazon as an eBook at least for a short time as I have it on my K3 and is still listed in my "Your Orders" section of my Manage Your Kindle page. I downloaded it on 12/24.

I do recall that but you can't find it now. I was too slow when it was available on Amazon. :)

Gwen Morse
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
This is awesome.

Is there anyway though to batch save the exth data on a lot of books at the same time?

It would be awesome if someone could write a Calibre plugin that handles this.

NoWorthWhile
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
It would be awesome if someone could write a Calibre plugin that handles this.

Couldn't agree more.

Kerenon
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the info. I'm using 3 devices (a kindle, a pc, and an adroid smartphone) for reading and using this method I can finally sync my books across devices.

I've did some experimenting, and it seems, the ASIN doesn't even has to be valid. I've managed to sync my 3 test books using bogus numbers like "B000000001", "B000000002", "B000000003", and so on. The only problem with this, that the android app is downloading some random images from amazon as book covers :). Tomorrow, I'll try it big. 500 books, from "B000000001" to "B000000500". I'll report back about it.

daffy4u
01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for being a guinea pig Kernon! DiapDealer made a joke about the ASIN number of a toaster being workable for this trick... looks like he may be right. :) Karma comin' at cha!

It looks like you have a good fake numbering system. My concern is making sure the fake number is not one for books we already own or might buy in the future. I'll stick to the ASIN of a pbook version but try a fake number if I can't find a matching ASIN.

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 07:01 AM
So. I did the test, and it seems to work without problems. I've selected 500 random books from my collection and mass-tagged them with the appropriate data using mobiperl, and a small one-shot script, and the results are great :).
I admit I didn't check all 500 of them. I've picked 30 random books, and they are all syncing just fine, so I assume all of them are working fine. As I mentioned before, the only problem is that the android app is downloading some random images as cover art, but I can live with that.

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Kerenon, thanks for doing that. Do you mind sharing your script to allows us to do the same?

Also, how are the Cover tags on various machines? (ie: K4PC, Android, iOS or whatever device you have?)

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Sure. I don't mind sharing it, but don't know if it will help anyone :). It's a one-shot script. Everything hard-coded, no error chekcing/handling. no nothing :). You have to modify it, or it probably won't work at all. On top of that I'm using linux so to use it on windows, you have to modify it even more.

About the covers: K4PC, and the Kindle itself, are showing the embedded cover. The only problem is with the android reader. I don't have any iDevices, so I have no idea about that.

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at it and try. (Haven't done any scripting in a while... That ought to be fun.)

If anybody succeeds before me, please let me know ^^

EDIT: I understand the scripting you did, and see the changes I have to make. Just one minor problem though... How do I run the freaking script? xD

DiapDealer
01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Just one minor problem though... How do I run the freaking script?
python script_name.py

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks!

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Scrap that, I'm lost, I thought I had it.

Could anyone explain me step by step how to do it? I'd be most thankfull...

EDIT: Also, I'm on Windows 7, if that helps...

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if someone could/would take Kerenon's script, tweak it and turn into a cross-platform plugin for Calibre and then add it to a certain set of tools. :rolleyes:

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 09:14 AM
@Daffy, he's guiding me through the process right now, when we're done, I'm gonna post the script here for Windows. Perhaps that could help.

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks NoWorthwhile!

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't really know anything about the plug-in system of calibre, but I'll take a look.

aproudlove
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Silly question, I've read through the whole thread but my brain seems to be too stupid to take it in but if I modify a book as described in this thread with an asin number, plus the other relevant data, can I get that book onto an iPhone?

I'm asking because I have a lot of books that I picked up outside Amazon that I put on my Kindle via USB but sometimes it would be great to continue reading on my iPhone. I can pull the official Amazon books down via the Kindle app but I haven't found a way yet to get non-amazon titles on it.

Will the process being discussed in the previous posts enable this?

Thanks a lot

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't really know anything about the plug-in system of calibre, but I'll take a look.

I was throwing out a not so subtle hint to certain other members of MR who can do this. :) If you can turn it into a plugin yourself, so much the better. :thumbsup:

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
@aproudlove, yes, that's what we're trying to do. I haven't had the chance to test this yet on my family's iPad (I'm in the middle of my mid-terms, I shouldn't even be on this forum ^^) but I think it should work.

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
@aproudlove, yes, that's what we're trying to do. I haven't had the chance to test this yet on my family's iPad (I'm in the middle of my mid-terms, I shouldn't even be on this forum ^^) but I think it should work.
Ammm... actually no. You cannot transfer the books themselves using this method.

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Silly question, I've read through the whole thread but my brain seems to be too stupid to take it in but if I modify a book as described in this thread with an asin number, plus the other relevant data, can I get that book onto an iPhone?

You know, I was trying to experiment with this trick using my iPod Touch. It can be done if you can get access to the file system of the iWhatever. In my case, I'm on Win7 and found a pay program called TouchCopy 09 (http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php), that gave me that ability (I see now they have TouchDrive (http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchdrive/)which my work better). I only used the trial version of the software and it took a while to hunt through the files to find where the K4iPhone app stores the books. The trail version wouldn't actually let me add the books but I think it would work.

There may be free software ways to do this, if you or anyone finds some, please post and share. :)

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Ammm... actually no. You cannot transfer the books themselves using this method.

What do you mean?

If you add the ASIN on the books on your hard drive, and THEN sync them to all your devices (WP7, Android, iOS, K4PC), it "should" sync them accross all of them.

(That's what I'm trying to do)

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to suspect it would be better for Android and iOS if we could automaticaly fetch the ASIN from amazon.Com, as it would provide the cover as well. I could manage to do that given enough time (I'm more familiar with HTML than Calibre though), but I don't actually have the time to do so. Perhaps this should be moved to the Calibre section?

EDIT2 @ Daffy, there is an app called iPhoneExplorer for your PC that lets you add books on the iShit (sorry, my tongue slipped xD)

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
In my understanding you cannot sync the prc/mobi files. Only the "Furthest Point Read" mark. So if you start reading on your kindle, and reach location 1234, then if you open K4PC, it asks you if you want to jump to loc 1234.

DiapDealer
01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
The problem with doing this via a calibre plugin is the way in which metadata writing is handled in calibre. The ASIN (EXTH record type 113) is not one that calibre maintains. So while it's certainly possible to write a plugin that inserts the correct metadata... anytime that you do a "Convert", "Save to disk" or "Send to device" procedure, calibre will replace the ebook's metadata with its own that's saved in its db... effectively nullifying those changes.

While it's possible to configure calibre to NOT modify the metadata when saving/sending/converting, that would severely reduce its functionality, wouldn't it?

It would be better for calibre to maintain the ASIN metadata from the get-go, but I'm pretty sure Kovid has indicated that he has no interest in doing that, at this time.

DiapDealer
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
In my understanding you cannot sync the prc/mobi files. Only the "Furthest Point Read" mark. So if you start reading on your kindle, and reach location 1234, then if you open K4PC, it asks you if you want to jump to loc 1234.
Kerenon is correct. The ebook file itself will not be synced to alternate devices. In order for this to work.. the altered ebook file must be manually placed on each of the devices that you want to read it on. After doing that, the "Furthest Page Read" will be maintained across the devices, but that is all.

NoWorthWhile
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes, that's what I meant. I might have been unclear.

@DiapDealer

How about mobi2mobi? Isn't it capable of batch fetching data of amazon.com and save the exth?

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
It would be better for calibre to maintain the ASIN metadata from the get-go, but I'm pretty sure Kovid has indicated that he has no interest in doing that, at this time.
A week ago, I've written a small program to automagically manage my collections on the kindle, and to do that I've "recycled" a few parts from calibre, and I had to add the ASIN handling functionality to those parts. I don't think it would be too hard to write a patch that does exactly this... but I think I'll stick with my scripts :).

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
EDIT2 @ Daffy, there is an app called iPhoneExplorer for your PC that lets you add books on the iShit (sorry, my tongue slipped xD)

Snagged it, thanks!

EDIT: I downloaded Phone Disk instead because I can use Windows Explorer with it. :)

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 10:23 AM

I think I'm going to put in a request. Maybe Kovid will change his mind based on the information in this thread.

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I've done some research, and it seems there is a workaround for the android book cover problem I've mentioned before. The problem is that the device needs to be rooted, otherwise you don't have access to the required folder.

If you have a book with the ASIN "B000000001", then put a png formatted image in /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/files with the filename "cover_B000000001.png" and it will show up instead the downloaded garbage.

Hope it helps someone :).

aproudlove
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Found this old hint on macosxhints that details where the file needs to go within the IOS file structure, if its any help?
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090306160800380

daffy4u
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I opened a feature request ticket (http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/8201) which was closed with the following message:

AS far as I know, calibre does maintain EXTH records it does not know
about when setting MOBI metadata. If that's not the case, please re-open this
bug and attach a MOBI file demonstrating the problem.

Maybe, I didn't explain it well. I'm not sure how to respond.

Kerenon
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe, I didn't explain it well. I'm not sure how to respond.I'm not sure either. I will take look at Calibre, but I won't promise anything :).

EDIT: I've been looking at the source of Calibre and it seems, plugins can't access all of the EXTH records. So it's true, Calibre does maintain EXTH records, just not all of them. You have access to the publisher, author, title, etc, but the two crucial ones, the 113 and the 501 are inaccessible.

DiapDealer
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
AS far as I know, calibre does maintain EXTH records it does not know
about when setting MOBI metadata. If that's not the case, please re-open this
bug and attach a MOBI file demonstrating the problem.
This is still good news, though. If you manage to add the EXTH Records, calibre will maintain them, even if it doesn't know how (or refuses) to manipulate them. I'll have to do some testing of "conversions" and "saves" or "sends" to verify that the data will persist.

Loosheesh
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I have Windows 6 (64-bit) - can I use the Mobi2Mobi GUI? I downloaded the zip file and in there are 5 application files and 1 TAR (???) file. I tried opening 2 of the application files but other than a command prompt window opening and closing, nothing else happens.

daffy4u
01-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I have Windows 6 (64-bit) - can I use the Mobi2Mobi GUI? I downloaded the zip file and in there are 5 application files and 1 TAR (???) file. I tried opening 2 of the application files but other than a command prompt window opening and closing, nothing else happens.

I am running the Mobi2Mobi GUI on a Win7 64-bit desktop. If you follow the instructions on the wiki page Kindle Mobi2Mobi GUI Vista/XP (the Vista install is similar to Win7), you should be good to go. :)

Be sure to check the first page of this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21763) to get the most current version of the GUI.

Loosheesh
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the help, daffy4u. I followed the instructions and was able to try a book on 3 devices: Kindle 2i, Kindle4PC, and my Blackberry. The sync between K4PC and the Blackberry works fine, but I am unable to sync to the Kindle. I suspect it's my wireless connectivity. We had a hurricane in Oct/Nov last year, and the wireless on my Kindle has not worked the same since.

As I never use K4PC to read, this is kind of useless to me right now, but as soon as I get better connectivity and the Kindle sorts itself out, it'll be a great feature as my reading is spread between my Kindle and my Blackberry.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who put this together - you rock! :)

(Btw, thanks for realizing that I meant to say Windows 7, and not Windows 6 :D)

daffy4u
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
(Btw, thanks for realizing that I meant to say Windows 7, and not Windows 6 :D)

That 6 and 7 are suspiciously close together. :rolleyes:

Sorry that you're having problems with your K2 3G connection. Have given Amazon CS a call so they can help you troubleshoot?

Loosheesh
01-07-2011, 06:44 PM
That 6 and 7 are suspiciously close together. :rolleyes: - I never noticed :o:)

Sorry that you're having problems with your K2 3G connection. Have given Amazon CS a call so they can help you troubleshoot? - I know it's a location problem (I'm not in the US right now) so I don't think there's much they would be able to do. When I'm in the US, the wireless service is beyond super.

daffy4u
01-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Have you tried typing "311" while on the settings page to look for a better connection? I have a Kindle 2 U.S. and don't have this ability but it is supposed to be available to K2i.

Loosheesh
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I do the '311' thing often; however, we have only 2 providers: one is bad and the other is worse.

NoWorthWhile
01-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Any progress on that Calibre plugin?

Loosheesh
01-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Great news! I tried it again this morning - from scratch and with a new book - and it worked!

What was different this time around?

(a) I used a totally different book. I already had a copy of the first book I tried on my Kindle, though I changed the name when I put it through the Mobi2MobiGUI.

(b) I don't remember checking the boxes both times (before converting) when I changed the 'exth' type

(c) My wireless signal is a lot stronger now than last night

Whether it was one of the above factors or all, I don't know but it works! I'm really happy :) And I didn't even bother to open the file with K4PC, I just sideloaded it onto the Kindle and the Blackberry.

:thanks: AGAIN

daffy4u
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Yay!!

pilotsnipes
01-15-2011, 07:32 AM
I've had good success with this, this morning.

Took a book (.mobi) and added ASIN number (taken from amazon) and EBOK tags to the metadata with mobi2mobi.

Added it manually to my android kindle folder.
Added it manually to my kindle via windows explorer.

Opened both and played around, each device asked could it sync to the latest location from the other device. Perfect.

Then removed book from kindle and transfered it via calibre to see if it kept the metadata during the transfer.

It did. Opened new book in kindle and clicked the sync to furthest location. Went directly to where I was in the android version. Nice.

I have not tested converting a book INSIDE calibre after adding the asin data to see if it maintains the ASIN data, as I don't think this is something that is like to happen to *me*.

I didn't experience any book cover issues at the moment on the android but that may be because I used the corretc ASIN number and not a dummy number...

Finding a plugin for calibre to bulk import the asin number from amazon would be lovely. I cannot help in this department sorry!

Hope that might help someone.

m0ngr31
01-16-2011, 02:31 AM
After I saw Kerenon's script to automatically add fake ASIN numbers to the books, I was motivated to write one for windows.

So here is a .bat file you can use to mass edit the meta info for your ebooks for windows:
@echo off & setLocal EnableDELAYedExpansion

set "asin1=B00"
set /a count=0
for /f %%a IN ('dir /b *.mobi') do (set /a count=count+1)
echo "Number of files: %count%"

set /a diff=((9999-%count%) - 1000) + 1
set /a divisor = 32767 / %diff%
set /a diff2=(999 - 100) + 1
set /a divisor2 = 32767 / %diff2%

:Random1
set /a asin2=%random% / %divisor%
if /i %asin2% GTR 9999 goto Random1
if /i %asin2% LSS 1000 goto Random1

:Random2
set /a asin3=%random% / %divisor2%
if /i %asin3% GTR 999 goto Random2
if /i %asin3% LSS 100 goto Random2
set /a temp1=!asin2!

for /f "delims= " %%b IN ('dir /b *.mobi') do (
C:\Users\m0ngr31\Downloads\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --exthtype 113 --exthdata "!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!" "%%b"
C:\Users\m0ngr31\Downloads\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" "%%b"
set /a temp1=!temp1!+1
)
This will just generate a random fake ASIN number for it to sync to. Just save this as a .bat file and run it in the directory where all your books are stored. The only thing you have to change is the directory where mobi2mobi is on both those lines at the bottom.

Let me know if it works :)

FF2
01-16-2011, 10:20 AM
m0ngr31:

Not that I'm ready for this but should that last line/paragraph be ONE LONG LINE in the batch file? My copy/paste made it 5 lines.

neonbible
01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
So as along as the ASIN matches a book on Amazon, it will work. They don't need to have the same name, author etc?

m0ngr31
01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
m0ngr31:

Not that I'm ready for this but should that last line/paragraph be ONE LONG LINE in the batch file? My copy/paste made it 5 lines.
It should be 5 lines.

m0ngr31
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
So as along as the ASIN matches a book on Amazon, it will work. They don't need to have the same name, author etc?
It appears that it doesn't even need to line up with a book. It just has to match a certain template of number so that Amazon thinks it's legit.

AFAIK, any combination of string that looks like B00******* should work. As long as the book you are trying to read with your different devices share the same ASIN number, it should work.

NoWorthWhile
01-16-2011, 12:38 PM
m0ngr31, thank you so much for the script, karma coming your way.

Allthough, as others have stated, not having the correct ASIN numbers breaks the cover art on some devices (ie Android, unless you import the .jpg as well). Can you test this on your devices?

All feedback is welcome.

m0ngr31
01-16-2011, 04:19 PM
NoWorthWhile: Sorry I don't have an android phone so I can't test the effects of the script :(

Does android download the cover automatically or something? Isn't there a setting on Calibre to include the cover art in the mobi file? I might just be up in the night though...

NoWorthWhile
01-17-2011, 03:13 AM
I don't know actually, that is what others have reported. I only have an iOS device to test it on...

Edzilla
01-17-2011, 08:02 AM
NoWorthWhile: Sorry I don't have an android phone so I can't test the effects of the script :(

Does android download the cover automatically or something? Isn't there a setting on Calibre to include the cover art in the mobi file? I might just be up in the night though...

I think calibre puts the cover art in the .mobi file.

I've written a small script to automatically add a random ASIN and the EBOK tag to a .mobi file under linux.
I'm pretty sure the range of my random number is not great, but it works well.

#!/bin/bash

FLOOR=1000000

number=0 #initialize
NUMBER=$[ ( $RANDOM % 9999999 ) + 1000000 ]

str=$(printf "%04d" $NUMBER)

ASIN="B00"
ASIN=$ASIN$str

/path/to/mobi2mobi/binary/mobi2mobi --outfile "$1" --exthtype 113 --exthdata $ASIN "$1"
/path/to/mobi2mobi/binary/mobi2mobi --outfile "$1" --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" "$1"

It takes a filename as parameter.

m0ngr31
01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I think calibre puts the cover art in the .mobi file
So as long as the coverart is setup correctly in Calibre, it should work fine then right?

I hope you don't mind, but I rewrote your bash file to handle files in batch. Just run this from the directory where all your ebooks are. I haven't tested it though because I don't have mobi2mobi working on my Mac yet haha. Lemme know if you run into any problems.
#!/bin/bash

count1=0
asin1="B00"

FILES="*.mobi"

for g in $FILES
do
if [ "$g" ]
then
count1=$[$count1+1]
continue
fi
done

rand1=$[1000-$count1]

while [ $rand1 -lt 1000 ]
do
rand1=$[ (( $RANDOM % ( $[ 9999 - 1000 ] + 1 ) ) + 1000) - $count1 ]
done

rand2=$[ ( $RANDOM % ( $[ 999 - 100 ] + 1 ) ) + 100 ]

for f in $FILES
do
if [ "$f" ]
then
/path/to/mobi2mobi/binary/mobi2mobi --outfile "$f" --exthtype 113 --exthdata $asin1$rand2$rand1 "$f"
/path/to/mobi2mobi/binary/mobi2mobi --outfile "$f" --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" "$f"
rand1=$[$rand1+1]
continue
fi
done

m0ngr31
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
I've done some research, and it seems there is a workaround for the android book cover problem I've mentioned before. The problem is that the device needs to be rooted, otherwise you don't have access to the required folder.

If you have a book with the ASIN "B000000001", then put a png formatted image in /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/files with the filename "cover_B000000001.png" and it will show up instead the downloaded garbage.

So the android kindle program downloads the covers from Amazon depending on what the ASIN number is, and K4PC just uses the cover embedded with the .mobi file?

If this is true, I'll see if I can remember enough python so I can write a script that will search amazon and download the correct ASIN numbers for the books.

If someone with an android will do a test for me: I need to know if a pBook ASIN number will work, or if it needs to be in the actual Kindle store.

DiapDealer
01-17-2011, 03:05 PM
So the android kindle program downloads the covers from Amazon depending on what the ASIN number is, and K4PC just uses the cover embedded with the .mobi file?
Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I've seen many ebooks where the cover that is displayed in K4PC is not the cover that's embedded in the mobi (when it comes to Amazon purchases anyway).

m0ngr31
01-17-2011, 04:23 PM
So I tested it on my wife's Ipod touch. I put a legit ASIN from the kindle store and it used the product image affiliated with that book instead of the embedded image from calibre.

I'll try it with a non Kindle store book with a real ASIN and let you know...

m0ngr31
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
With the book that I gave a pBook ASIN number it just defaulted to the embedded image on both the ipod touch and K4MAC.

I'm guessing it would do the same for a random ASIN number, but I don't have mobi2mobi on this computer, so I'll have to try it a little later...

m0ngr31
01-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Ok, I was able to get it. This is for windows only though. I'll work on the *nix version soon...

Here's what you'll need to do:
-python-amazon-product-api (It's not too hard to install "easy_install python-amazon-product-api" if you have python setup in your PATH properly, if it has dependency problems, you'll have to install http://users.skynet.be/sbi/libxml-python/ and then run that command again)
-All your mobi files in one directory
-Save simple python script (attached) in the folder where you have your mobi files
-An Amazon Product Advertising account (https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/advertising/api/detail/main.html)
-Put the keys you get from this into the asin_search.py file
-Save this file as a .bat in the same folder as above
@echo off & setLocal EnableDELAYedExpansion
del temp*.txt>null 2>&1
set "asin1=B00"
set /a count=0
for /f %%a IN ('dir /b *.mobi') do (set /a count=count+1)
echo Number of files: %count%

set /a diff=((9999-%count%) - 1000) + 1
set /a divisor = 32767 / %diff%
set /a diff2=(999 - 100) + 1
set /a divisor2 = 32767 / %diff2%

:Random1
set /a asin2=%random% / %divisor%
if /i %asin2% GTR 9999 goto Random1
if /i %asin2% LSS 1000 goto Random1

:Random2
set /a asin3=%random% / %divisor2%
if /i %asin3% GTR 999 goto Random2
if /i %asin3% LSS 100 goto Random2
set /a temp1=!asin2!

for /f "delims= " %%b IN ('dir /b *.mobi') do (

C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --delexthtype 113 "%%b">null 2>&1
C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --delexthtype 501 "%%b">null 2>&1

C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe "%%b" > temp1.txt
findstr /i "longtitle" temp1.txt > temp2.txt
set /p title1=<temp2.txt
set title1=!title1:~11!

findstr /i "item: 100" temp1.txt > temp3.txt
set /p author1=<temp3.txt
set author1=!author1:~33!

python asin_search.py "!title1!" "!author1!" >temp4.txt

set /p temp2=<temp4.txt
set temp2=!temp2:~0!

call :movement %%b
)

:movement
find /c /i "b0" "temp4.txt">null 2>&1
if !ERRORLEVEL! EQU 0 goto :real
if !errorlevel! equ 1 goto :fake

:fake
C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --exthtype 113 --exthdata "!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!" "%%b">null 2>&1
echo Gave a fake ASIN number to: !title1!. It's new number is !asin1!!asin3!!temp1!
set /a temp1=!temp1!+1
goto final

:real
C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --exthtype 113 --exthdata "!temp2!" "%%b">null 2>&1
echo Gave a real ASIN number to: !title1!. It's new number is !temp2!

:final
C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" "%%b">null 2>&1
del temp*.txt>null 2>&1
-Change the directory where I am pointing to mobi2mobi.exe (all places)
-Run the file!

Should be pretty straight-forward. It'll go through all the mobi files you have, search for the title and author of every book (so you need to have them correct in the meta info) on the kindle store and if it's there, it'll download the correct ASIN number, if it isn't there, it'll insert a random number.

It was kind of slopped together, and it's not perfect, but it seemed for me. Let me know if you run to any problems.

--edit
It wouldn't let me upload my python file, so save this as asin_search.py in the working directory
import sys
from amazonproduct import API

AWS_KEY = 'put your own key here'
SECRET_KEY = 'put your secret key here'
api = API(AWS_KEY, SECRET_KEY, "us")
node = api.item_search('KindleStore', Title=sys.argv[1], Author=sys.argv[2])

for book in node.Items.Item:
print '%s' % (book.ASIN)

neonbible
01-18-2011, 09:56 AM
It appears that it doesn't even need to line up with a book. It just has to match a certain template of number so that Amazon thinks it's legit.

AFAIK, any combination of string that looks like B00******* should work. As long as the book you are trying to read with your different devices share the same ASIN number, it should work.

Great! I must try this sometime.

Edzilla
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
So as long as the coverart is setup correctly in Calibre, it should work fine then right?

I hope you don't mind, but I rewrote your bash file to handle files in batch. Just run this from the directory where all your ebooks are. I haven't tested it though because I don't have mobi2mobi working on my Mac yet haha. Lemme know if you run into any problems.
#!/bin/bash

count1=0
asin1="B00"

FILES="*.mobi"

for g in $FILES
do
if [ "$g" ]
then
count1=$[$count1+1]
continue
fi
done

rand1=$[1000-$count1]

while [ $rand1 -lt 1000 ]
do
rand1=$[ (( $RANDOM % ( $[ 9999 - 1000 ] + 1 ) ) + 1000) - $count1 ]
done

rand2=$[ ( $RANDOM % ( $[ 999 - 100 ] + 1 ) ) + 100 ]

for f in $FILES
do
if [ "$f" ]
then
/path/to/mobi2mobi/binary/mobi2mobi --outfile "$f" --exthtype 113 --exthdata $asin1$rand2$rand1 "$f"
/path/to/mobi2mobi/binary/mobi2mobi --outfile "$f" --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" "$f"
rand1=$[$rand1+1]
continue
fi
done

I definitely don't mind.
I didn't want to do a batch script because it generates a new asin every time it's used. If you copy the file to your device then run it again, the two copies would not sync

m0ngr31
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah, it was meant as a "run once" type of program. If you run it once and use those as the original files, you shouldn't run into any problems.

I'll write a bash script in the next day or two that will do the same as the windows one I wrote last night. That way if it's a book sold on the amazon store at least it'll have the same ASIN number. That way it won't change if you run it again.

neonbible
01-19-2011, 04:46 AM
So if the book isn't in Kindle store, do you just create your own ASIN? Someone mentioned I can use the pBook (does that mean printed?) but not all have one.

Edzilla
01-19-2011, 05:02 AM
So if the book isn't in Kindle store, do you just create your own ASIN? Someone mentioned I can use the pBook (does that mean printed?) but not all have one.

You can simply create a random ASIN, yes. it has to look like this: B00xxxxxxx

neonbible
01-19-2011, 05:10 AM
And xxxxxxx can be any combination of alpha-numeric characters? I could use the title of book so im sure there arent any conflicts.

Edzilla
01-19-2011, 05:41 AM
And xxxxxxx can be any combination of alpha-numeric characters? I could use the title of book so im sure there arent any conflicts.

I'm not sure. When generating an ASIN, I've only used random numbers, but an "official" ASIN contains both numbers and letters (B004G60EHS), so it probably does work. You should try and see if it does.

neonbible
01-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Hurrah it works! Great discovery. Thanks to all.

m0ngr31
01-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Hey I updated my thread here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1353306#post1353306). The script I wrote should automatically generate the cover art for you with the example you gave as the template.

CuriousGrrl
01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
I successfully used "FAKE_ASIN" in a .mobi book today. Amazon synced it. So I think you can put anything in the ASIN field

m0ngr31
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey CuriousGrrl! Welcome to MR, and great find!

Kerenon
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I successfully used "FAKE_ASIN" in a .mobi book today. Amazon synced it. So I think you can put anything in the ASIN fieldHmm.. I've modified my test script to replace the fake asin numbers with the MD5 sum of the filename. This has the advantage, that you don't have to remember which book belongs to which asin, as long as you keep the filenames unchanged... and it worked better than expected. Now amazon is syncing all my books, and my android phone is showing the embedded covers of the books, instead some random pics.

Edzilla
02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Hmm.. I've modified my test script to replace the fake asin numbers with the MD5 sum of the filename. This has the advantage, that you don't have to remember which book belongs to which asin, as long as you keep the filenames unchanged... and it worked better than expected. Now amazon is syncing all my books, and my android phone is showing the embedded covers of the books, instead some random pics.

Wouldn't it be easier to use the md5 of the file, rather than the filename? That way you can rename it any way you want, it'll still be the same ASIN.

TonytheBookworm
02-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Just curious. Will this also allow for the book details to show up when you do highlights and paste to facebook/twitter? I have been trying to figure out how to use the amazon thumbnail thing on non-amazon purchased books. I was hoping I could simply put in the asin in the isbn field or something :(

DiapDealer
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Just curious. Will this also allow for the book details to show up when you do highlights and paste to facebook/twitter? I have been trying to figure out how to use the amazon thumbnail thing on non-amazon purchased books. I was hoping I could simply put in the asin in the isbn field or something
Unfortunately no. After much experimentation, I came to the conclusion that for the correct cover image to show up for the highlight sharing feature, the eBook has to be in your Amazon archive. Adding a 113 header record (that contains a valid ASIN) and a 501 (CDETYPE) header record that contains 'EBOK' is just not enough to "fool" Amazon into thinking it's anything other than a "Personal Document." Sorry, but only the "Furthest Page Read" synchronization between devices seems to work.

m0ngr31
02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I tried it with one of mine, and even with a legit ASIN number it won't work. I tried sharing to twitter, it said it worked, but when I'd click on the link, it wouldnt work. And nothing would be saved in my amazon profile.

DiapDealer
02-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Those are the exact same results I had with Twitter, M0nger. I didn't try Facebook, but... strike that... I won't try Facebook, but I'd expect the same results. ;)

TonytheBookworm
02-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately no. After much experimentation, I came to the conclusion that for the correct cover image to show up for the highlight sharing feature, the eBook has to be in your Amazon archive. Adding a 113 header record (that contains a valid ASIN) and a 501 (CDETYPE) header record that contains 'EBOK' is just not enough to "fool" Amazon into thinking it's anything other than a "Personal Document." Sorry, but only the "Furthest Page Read" synchronization between devices seems to work.

Well, I would agree with you on the Has to be in the Archive but I have seen it otherwise. I was given a book in mobi format from someone and used calibre to put it on my kindle and the book descriptions and cover images worked. I did not have the book in my archives on amazon. So there has to be something embedded in the meta-data or something.

m0ngr31
02-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Well, it will work for cover art, description, and even syncing if it has a ASIN number, but you cannot share a passage with Twitter/Facebook, or synchronize your "clippings" to your Amazon profile unless that book is in your Archive.

STrucks
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I added the ASIN and EBOK fields and it wouldn't even allow it to share to facebook or Twitter.

m0ngr31
02-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Even with the correct ASIN number, it will not share with twitter or facebook. The only thing it will do is keep track of your position across devices, and sometimes help your android phone or iPhone get the correct cover for the book.

DiapDealer
02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I added the ASIN and EBOK fields and it wouldn't even allow it to share to facebook or Twitter.
And it probably won't. That's what we're saying. ;)
This technique allows you to maintain your "place" in a non-amazon mobi when you read it on different devices. That's really about it.

Kerenon
02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to use the md5 of the file, rather than the filename? That way you can rename it any way you want, it'll still be the same ASIN.Adding the md5 sum of the file to the header modifies the file, so the md5 sum changes in the process.

CuriousGrrl
02-06-2011, 12:30 PM
As of v0.7.44, Calibre automatically adds this functionality to .mobi files.

MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.
Closes tickets: 8721

Note that you cannot currently customize what ASIN is used (through the Calibre user interface). Mobi2Mobi is no longer required for this functionality, unless you want to set the ASIN value yourself, perhaps to the Kindle or paperback ASIN.

I requested this feature of Kovid maybe a week ago (daffy4u had originally requested it but I think that request was closed due to a simple misunderstanding) and he added it right in just a few days ago.

I verified it with several books that I converted from .pdf to .mobi, and they are syncing perfectly between my Kindle and Kindle for iPhone (both directions, no problems).

Thanks so much Kovid!! :thanks:

DiapDealer
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice!

I had no idea this was in the works. I assume it only sets the ASIN field when one doesn't already exist? I'll have to check.

This will make it a lot easier for people. :)

tlrowley
02-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Now that this is handled in Calibre, I'm giving this a try (I didn't want to bother booting a VM on my Mac for mobi2mobi gui and I've had no luck at all with the perl tools). I'm only having limited success, though, especially if the book existed on my Kindle previously (of course I'm downloading new versions with the Calibre server)

I'd really like to use this on Amazon books that I've "fixed" - I'm a little anal about metadata and TOC stuff. I did notice up-thread, that there might be a problem if the book exists in the archive - can someone elaborate on that for me, please and thank you?

DiapDealer
02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I'd really like to use this on Amazon books that I've "fixed" - I'm a little anal about metadata and TOC stuff. I did notice up-thread, that there might be a problem if the book exists in the archive - can someone elaborate on that for me, please and thank you?
I think you're always going to have trouble with this if the ebooks already exist in your Kindle archive. There always seems to be some confusion as to what it's syncing to exactly; should I sync to the original version from the archive, or should I sync based on the "fixed" version?

You (or should I say we) need to find out if the new version of calibre is changing the asin field (since it already exists) of your modified Amazon purchases. If it is, I suspect that you should be able to sync (furthest read page only), since it's getting a new, random, different (fake) ASIN number.

If calibre is leaving the existing Amazon ASIN field alone... then you're probably going to have difficulties. In essence, you going to have two different copies of an ebook with the same ASIN (the one on your devices and the one in your archive). In which case, the legit version in your archive is most assuredly going to take precedence.

tlrowley
02-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Thank you, that's very helpful. I can picture what's going on somewhat better now. I'm going to have to break down and boot the VM, aren't i? :D

ETA - I looked at the files with mobi2mobi gui, and the AISN had been changed. I tried another few books and it was working, but there are a couple of books that simply won't work.

Syncing isn't terribly important to me, I almost always have my Kindle with me, but I'm stubborn and want to figure this out :)

Thanks for the pointers.

Edzilla
02-07-2011, 03:08 AM
Adding the md5 sum of the file to the header modifies the file, so the md5 sum changes in the process.

You're right, I hadn't thought about that.

bwaldron
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM

I haven't had any issues as long as I am only attempting to sync my reading location across devices/apps using the same "fixed" copy of the book on all devices.

Trying to sync a fixed version on some devices with the original Amazon version on others causes issues (as would logically be expected).

tlrowley
02-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I've tried new "fixed" versions, all downloaded at the same time, and I still run into errors. I'm having a hard time pinpointing why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - can't seem to put my finger on it.

I'm quite a site to behold, I'm sure, sitting in my corner of the sofa with my Kindle, iPad, iPhone and MBP - going from one device to another and trying to sync :D

So this has never failed for anyone else? I'm alone in my failure :( :)

DiapDealer
02-08-2011, 06:44 PM
To be honest, I've never tried it with altered Amazon purchases. I almost always read Amazon's unaltered version on my Kindle and "fix" a backup version that's stored in Calibre. So synchronization always works. I only use this technique for non-amazon content.

I think you need to make sure that your altered amazon ebooks contain anything BUT the real ASIN number in it's metadata to have the best chance of success.

pilotsnipes
02-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Sorry guys but I'm a little confused as to how to use this functionality IN calibre.

I've updated to 0.7.45 after I saw the changelog but I'm not able to get calibre to do the work I was doing manually...see post 83(http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1337205&postcount=83)

Could someone just explain if I have the wrong end of the stick here:

1) Say I have 5 books, mobi format and all imported into my Calibre library 6 months ago (ie. with a version less than 0.7.44).
2) All the books do NOT have their ASIN/EBOK fields set.
3) Say my kindle is completely empty.
4) I upgrade to 0.7.45.
5) If I transfer a book to my kindle via calibre, will it add the metadata during the transfer (my tests show this to be a NO).

How do I set the ASIN/EBOK fields using calibre in this instance? Do I just reimport all the books again? Or am I missing a command somewhere?

Thanks very much guys!

pchrist7
02-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Sorry guys but I'm a little confused as to how to use this functionality IN calibre.

I've updated to 0.7.45 after I saw the changelog but I'm not able to get calibre to do the work I was doing manually...see post 83(http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1337205&postcount=83)

Could someone just explain if I have the wrong end of the stick here:

1) Say I have 5 books, mobi format and all imported into my Calibre library 6 months ago (ie. with a version less than 0.7.44).
2) All the books do NOT have their ASIN/EBOK fields set.
3) Say my kindle is completely empty.
4) I upgrade to 0.7.45.
5) If I transfer a book to my kindle via calibre, will it add the metadata during the transfer (my tests show this to be a NO).

How do I set the ASIN/EBOK fields using calibre in this instance? Do I just reimport all the books again? Or am I missing a command somewhere?

Thanks very much guys!

Hi
I've not upgraded yet, but I think you just have to re-convert your books.
Then Calibre will generate the ASIN/EBOK fields.

pilotsnipes
02-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Does reconverting a mobi file to a mobi inside calibre do anything else to the file? The files I have are perfect and don't need any "reformatting" so to speak except to add those metadata fields.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess my library up at the moment! I appreciate your time!

pchrist7
02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Does reconverting a mobi file to a mobi inside calibre do anything else to the file? The files I have are perfect and don't need any "reformatting" so to speak except to add those metadata fields.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess my library up at the moment! I appreciate your time!

Hi there
We all have to start from scratch learning this new world, so don't worry, ask away.
Unfortunately I can't assure you, yet, that the new mobi will be "the same" as your current mobi "look" ( backup your books ! ) cause I'm not quite there yet, doing it myself.
So many changes are implemented each week ( thank you Calibre team ) but it does give the end user some challenges.
Just updated Calibre, need to do backups, and then I'll double check MR for K3 issues with FW 3.1, cross my fingers and do the FW update of my K3.

chilady1
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
As of v0.7.44, Calibre automatically adds this functionality to .mobi files.

MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.
Closes tickets: 8721

I verified it with several books that I converted from .pdf to .mobi, and they are syncing perfectly between my Kindle and Kindle for iPhone (both directions, no problems).

Thanks so much Kovid!! :thanks:

So I was successful in doing this same thing, here's my question:

In order to get the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK is it just a matter of re-converting a mobi file within Calibre or does it require one to download metadata again.

THe book I tested this on, all I did was re-convert the current mobi book (which was converted using an older version of Calibre) again. This overwrote my old mobi file with a new one. Wasn't sure if it was just the re-converting that added the ASIN or did I need to reload metadata?

If it doesn't require downloading metadata again - then all I have to do is re-convert my entire library using the new version of Calibre to ensure that the ASIN and other key fields are now a part of the metadata which allows me to snych my Kindle and my iPhone.

Just curious.

chilady1
03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
It never occurred to me to ask how exactly this works. Don't laugh but perhaps that should I have been my first question. Here's what I think and please feel free to correct where wrong.

So I have both books loaded onto to my Kindle 3 and my iPhone.

If reading on the Kindle
Before stopping turn on wireless and ?????? Everytime I do a synch to furthest page it says "Already at furthest read location". So does this mean that I should just turn the wireless on and let it do it's thing?

If reading on iPhone app
Read and then when done do I hit the icon to synch?

Sorry to sound so stupid, I was so fixated on getting this to work, I don't think I had a good understanding of HOW it works.

I want to know what exactly should I do when I am done reading on either device to ensure that both stay in synch. Thanks!

Ron.
03-04-2011, 09:21 AM
It never occurred to me to ask how exactly this works. Don't laugh but perhaps that should I have been my first question. Here's what I think and please feel free to correct where wrong.

So I have both books loaded onto to my Kindle 3 and my iPhone.

If reading on the Kindle
Before stopping turn on wireless and ?????? Everytime I do a synch to furthest page it says "Already at furthest read location". So does this mean that I should just turn the wireless on and let it do it's thing?

If reading on iPhone app
Read and then when done do I hit the icon to synch?

Sorry to sound so stupid, I was so fixated on getting this to work, I don't think I had a good understanding of HOW it works.

I want to know what exactly should I do when I am done reading on either device to ensure that both stay in synch. Thanks!

On your kindle when you are done reading (make sure wireless is on and connected) just hit the home key to exit the book. That will update the furthest read location on the amazon servers. The same goes for the iPhone hit the home key to exit the book once done reading, I am not sure if it is 100% necessary but I then hit the sync icon in the iPhone to ensure that it updates the furthest read location.

roofone
03-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Probably just missing something, but is there a trick to getting this to work?

I'm running Calibre 0.7.48. When I convert a book to mobi (say, from epub) and then sideload to my Kindle 3 via Calibre and add to my ipod via itunes, syncing to the furthest read page doesn't work.

When I look at the apnx file on my kindle using a text editor, I see that cdetype is set to EBOK, but it looks like the ASIN is blank.

Am I missing a step? Or, do I have to configure something differently?

Thanks!

sadievan
03-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Hi,

Probably just missing something, but is there a trick to getting this to work?

I'm running Calibre 0.7.48. When I convert a book to mobi (say, from epub) and then sideload to my Kindle 3 via Calibre and add to my ipod via itunes, syncing to the furthest read page doesn't work.

When I look at the apnx file on my kindle using a text editor, I see that cdetype is set to EBOK, but it looks like the ASIN is blank.

Am I missing a step? Or, do I have to configure something differently?

Thanks!

Have a look at this thread

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121487

I used DiskAid to get this to work on my iphone.

Carol

roofone
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Perfect, thanks. It's too bad there's no way to do this natively in linux, but using Diskaid to load the books on to my ipod allowed the page sync'ing to work great.

sadievan
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Perfect, thanks. It's too bad there's no way to do this natively in linux, but using Diskaid to load the books on to my ipod allowed the page sync'ing to work great.

Glad you got it working. I just posted a new thread. Not all of mine will sync. The ones from Smashwords won't sync.

Carol

Valhalla
03-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Is there any way of setting asin and cdetype in bulk? I know I could use calibre to convert from mobi to mobi but I tried it on one book and it actually changed the formatting of the book as well (not for the better!). I would like to just be able to change those fields on all my mobi's.

Thanks

Ron.
03-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Is there any way of setting asin and cdetype in bulk? I know I could use calibre to convert from mobi to mobi but I tried it on one book and it actually changed the formatting of the book as well (not for the better!). I would like to just be able to change those fields on all my mobi's.

Thanks

You can use"mobi2mobi" it will edit just those fields without changing anything else but you won't be able to do it in bulk.

DiapDealer
03-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Somebody had a batch file (and a python script) that used mobi2mobi to do bulk modifications. I'll see if I can't track it down.

EDIT: Here's the thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117645) where the bulk scripts were being discussed.

FF2
03-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Somebody had a batch file (and a python script) that used mobi2mobi to do bulk modifications. I'll see if I can't track it down.

EDIT: Here's the thread where the bulk scripts were being discussed.

I think it needs a bit more EDITing - no link was provided.

DiapDealer
03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I think it needs a bit more EDITing - no link was provided.
My how embarrassing. :o
Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117645

neonbible
04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Is anyones whispersync for sideloaded books still working?

I've been mainly using Kindle for iPhone recently. But today I opened up my Kindle and tried to sync but found it no longer works. Went to check on my iPhone and that no longer works now! It just says im on the furthest page wherever I am. I'm sure it was working just yesterday.

Amazon caught on?

EDIT: ok after restarting Kindle on iPhone it works again. But if I sync it from the Kindle it breaks it for both.

sadievan
04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Is anyones whispersync for sideloaded books still working?

I've been mainly using Kindle for iPhone recently. But today I opened up my Kindle and tried to sync but found it no longer works. Went to check on my iPhone and that no longer works now! It just says im on the furthest page wherever I am. I'm sure it was working just yesterday.

Amazon caught on?

EDIT: ok after restarting Kindle on iPhone it works again. But if I sync it from the Kindle it breaks it for both.

What I have found that works for me is;

When I am done reading on my Kindle, I turn on WiFi (I don't keep it on all the time). After it connects, I hit the 'home' button. Then I turn off WiFi. When I open the book in the Kindle App on my iPhone, sometimes I have to hit the sync button on the lower right corner to sync to the furthest page. When done reading on my iPhone, I go back to the 'home' screen again.

Carol

neonbible
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
What I have found that works for me is;

When I am done reading on my Kindle, I turn on WiFi (I don't keep it on all the time). After it connects, I hit the 'home' button. Then I turn off WiFi. When I open the book in the Kindle App on my iPhone, sometimes I have to hit the sync button on the lower right corner to sync to the furthest page. When done reading on my iPhone, I go back to the 'home' screen again.

Carol

That is what I have been doing. It's worked fine until today. Can you confim it still works for you for sideloaded books?

neonbible
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Seems to work ok between Kindle iPhone and PC desktop, but not the actual Kindle device. Have there been any updates recently?

chilady1
04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Not sure if this is relevant but I know that iPhone OS 4.2.7 was just released and if you upgrading maybe that is causing issues? Just a guess. I have jailbroken my iPhone although from comments I read earlier that is not necessary to get the synch to work. I did it for other reasons.

Given there is no jailbreak for 4.2.7, I have not upgraded my OS at this time. Synching between Kindle and iPhone is still working for me with no problems.

sadievan
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM
That is what I have been doing. It's worked fine until today. Can you confim it still works for you for sideloaded books?

Just tried it and it is working fine. You did run the book through Calibre first correct?

Edited to add: I'm using Calibre 7.52

Carol

sadievan
04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Seems to work ok between Kindle iPhone and PC desktop, but not the actual Kindle device. Have there been any updates recently?

Just checked my version on Kindle. It is 3.1.

Is the WiFi on your Kindle working OK?

Carol

sadievan
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Not sure if this is relevant but I know that iPhone OS 4.2.7 was just released and if you upgrading maybe that is causing issues? Just a guess. I have jailbroken my iPhone although from comments I read earlier that is not necessary to get the synch to work. I did it for other reasons.

Given there is no jailbreak for 4.2.7, I have not upgraded my OS at this time. Synching between Kindle and iPhone is still working for me with no problems.

I'm on version 4.3.2 on my iphone and it's working good for me. My phone is not jailbroken.

Carol

neonbible
04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
After playing with it some more, it does kind of work still but not reliably.

If you say sync to a certain location, flick back a few pages and then choose to Sync to Furthest Page is it supposed to take you back to where you were? It does this on iPhone and PC but on Kindle it will just say "You are already at the furthest location", which I am not.

maxpower
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Is this still working for everyone? It is working mostly for me, but I canít get Kindle for PC to sync itís furthest read location to the cloud. It will retrieve the furthest read location from other devices, but if I read on the PC it doesnít save that furthest read location when I open on another device. I have tried manually hitting the sync button before closing but that doesnít help. Any ideas?

DiapDealer
06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
@maxpower

Go to "Tools," "Options" in K4PC and make sure you have the option checked for "Annotations Backup."

The exact wording of that option is; "Automatically back up your device annotations and last page read at Amazon." At least that's how it's worded on v1.4.1.

If that is unchecked, K4PC will still pull the Last Page Read that other devices are sending to Amazon, but it won't push its own Last Page Read for the other devices to pull.

Cadamus
06-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi, sorry to start here with a question, but I have downloaded the newest version of Calibre (0.8.3), and when I look at the metadata for books in mobi format, I don't see an ASIN I can change. I know it was mentioned earlier that Calibre might be using the UUID of the book to populate the ASIN. I assume that this means it is random, and not the actual ASIN of the book, or does it look that up, and simply not expose it?

If it is random, I assume you want to use mobi2mobi to edit the metadata to the right ASIN in the calibre library so that the book cover is accurate, if you don't manually edit that, right?

Or am I completely clueless?

Thanks!

Cad

bwaldron
06-03-2011, 07:05 PM
You have things correct. Calibre does add an ASIN (based on UUID) when converting to mobi, unless the book already has one. It lacks, though, the ability to view/change the ASIN, though -- for that, you can use mobi2mobi, as you note.

Hi, sorry to start here with a question, but I have downloaded the newest version of Calibre (0.8.3), and when I look at the metadata for books in mobi format, I don't see an ASIN I can change. I know it was mentioned earlier that Calibre might be using the UUID of the book to populate the ASIN. I assume that this means it is random, and not the actual ASIN of the book, or does it look that up, and simply not expose it?

If it is random, I assume you want to use mobi2mobi to edit the metadata to the right ASIN in the calibre library so that the book cover is accurate, if you don't manually edit that, right?

Or am I completely clueless?

Thanks!

Cad

DiapDealer
06-03-2011, 07:18 PM
However... if you're only concerned with syncing your Furthest Read Page on non-Amazon mobi's (so you can keep your place while reading on multiple devices), you don't need the correct ASIN. You just need the same data in that ASIN metadata field on all copies of the file that you want to keep in sync. And the UUID that Calibre inserts is sufficient for that purpose.

bwaldron
06-05-2011, 07:20 PM
However... if you're only concerned with syncing your Furthest Read Page on non-Amazon mobi's (so you can keep your place while reading on multiple devices), you don't need the correct ASIN. You just need the same data in that ASIN metadata field on all copies of the file that you want to keep in sync. And the UUID that Calibre inserts is sufficient for that purpose.

Absolutely.

volwrath
06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I've been playing a bit with this in both calibre and mobi2mobi. I got one book syncing between my android phone and my kindle, but when I sideloaded on my ipad it was no dice :( Then I tried another book on all three and it would not sync whatsoever. This would be most incredible if I could get it to work on a consistent basis.

volwrath
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Are people still getting this to work on sideloaded content on a reliable basis?

DiapDealer
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes.

It will only work on ebooks that you have converted with calibre. If the ebook is already a mobi, you still need to convert it with calibre: just do a mobi to mobi conversion. After conversion, put the exact same file on all devices you want to read it on.

sadievan
06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes.

It will only work on ebooks that you have converted with calibre. If the ebook is already a mobi, you still need to convert it with calibre: just do a mobi to mobi conversion. After conversion, put the exact same file on all devices you want to read it on.

This is exactly what I do and I have had no problems.

Carol

chilady1
06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
This is exactly what I do and I have had no problems.

Carol

Me three and I have had no issues whatsoever syncing between iPhone, iPad2 and Kindle.

jswinden
06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I get it to sync between nookcolor (rooted), iPad1, and Kindle, but it won't work on my iPod touch 4G running iOS 4.3.3. I think that is a known issue though.

sadievan
06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I get it to sync between nookcolor (rooted), iPad1, and Kindle, but it won't work on my iPod touch 4G running iOS 4.3.3. I think that is a known issue though.

You may need a third party software to load the book to the iPod touch. I believe iTunes loads the books to the Kindle\documents folder and they must be loaded to the Kindle\Library\eBooks folder for this to work. I use a software called DiskAid. Works very well. It's not free but was only $9.99.

HTH,
Carol

lmittell
06-14-2011, 03:10 PM
There is a freeware application called iPhone Explorer that accomplishes the same thing as Disk Aid. It's a lot less stable, however. Sometimes one needs to restart it a time or two, but with patience, it gets the job done.

Larry

jswinden
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Oops, my bad. I didn't word that properly. I have no problems sideloading ebooks to the iPt4. The issue is using Whispersync to sync farthest page read for sideloaded books. I've read that this used to work with iPt4 but after one of the latest iOS firmware updates it broke.

sadievan
06-14-2011, 04:00 PM
There is a freeware application called iPhone Explorer that accomplishes the same thing as Disk Aid. It's a lot less stable, however. Sometimes one needs to restart it a time or two, but with patience, it gets the job done.

Larry

I couldn't get iPhone Explorer to work for me. DiskAid is working fine though.

Carol

sadievan
06-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Oops, my bad. I didn't word that properly. I have no problems sideloading ebooks to the iPt4. The issue is using Whispersync to sync farthest page read for sideloaded books. I've read that this used to work with iPt4 but after one of the latest iOS firmware updates it broke.

How are you sideloading the books onto your iPod? Are you using iTunes? For it to work they must be loaded into the 'Library\eBooks' folder. This is why I use DiskAid. To be able to access this folder.

I do find that sometimes I have to hit the sync button when opening the book on my iPhone to get the 'sync to the furthest location' message.

HTH
Carol

jswinden
06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
How are you sideloading the books onto your iPod? Are you using iTunes? For it to work they must be loaded into the 'Library\eBooks' folder. This is why I use DiskAid. To be able to access this folder.

I do find that sometimes I have to hit the sync button when opening the book on my iPhone to get the 'sync to the furthest location' message.

HTH
Carol

I'm using iTunes to sync the books to the Kindle app for both my iPad and my iPod touch. This works for the iPad, but not the iPod apparently. I do have DiskAid so I will try to place the file where you said and see if that works.

EDIT: Cool, that worked! And it is a lot quicker and easier than using iTunes.

Thanks!

sadievan
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm using iTunes to sync the books to the Kindle app for both my iPad and my iPod touch. This works for the iPad, but not the iPod apparently. I do have DiskAid so I will try to place the file where you said and see if that works.

EDIT: Cool, that worked! And it is a lot quicker and easier than using iTunes.

Thanks!

Glad it worked for you.

Carol

volwrath
06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the help. I used iphone explorer on an epub converted to mobi with calibre and could not get the ipad to sync with my android phone or my kindle. In fairness I may have confused amazon because I also changed the asin and the other exth record using mobi2mobi first.I then deleted and started over with the mobi using calibre but it wont sync :( I shall try another book soon. I also have kindle v2.7 for the ipad, but I dont know if that would matter or not.

EDIT: FWIW After playing around with this some more, the only book that doesnt properly sync is the one where I manually went in and jacked with the ASIN and other settings :)

maxpower
06-21-2011, 11:35 AM
@maxpower

Go to "Tools," "Options" in K4PC and make sure you have the option checked for "Annotations Backup."

The exact wording of that option is; "Automatically back up your device annotations and last page read at Amazon." At least that's how it's worded on v1.4.1.

If that is unchecked, K4PC will still pull the Last Page Read that other devices are sending to Amazon, but it won't push its own Last Page Read for the other devices to pull.

That still doesn't work for me. I can sync my furthest read page between my iPad and Kindle, and I can sync it TO kindle for PC.. I just can't sync my last read page from Kindle for PC to any other device. I have Kindle for PC v1.5.0...

Any other ideas?

DiapDealer
06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
That still doesn't work for me. I can sync my furthest read page between my iPad and Kindle, and I can sync it TO kindle for PC.. I just can't sync my last read page from Kindle for PC to any other device. I have Kindle for PC v1.5.0...
If you're saying that that box IS checked and everything works except pushing sync data FROM K4PC to the other devices, then I'm truly kind of stumped. The fact that K4PC seems to be pulling sync data should rule out firewall issues, but that would be my only wild-assed guess at this point.

Can you verify that the same exact concept works exactly as should with normal Amazon purchases? Or does the same problem exist?

emalvick
06-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Firewalls can be independent for in- vs. out-going traffic, so it isn't unfeasible (although admittedly unusual) that your firewall is blocking the sync being pushed out from your K4PC. I'm not sure that would be the problem, but it may be relatively easy to check just in case.

emalvick
06-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Can you verify that the same exact concept works exactly as should with normal Amazon purchases? Or does the same problem exist?

Actually, that is more important (and easier) to check than a firewall issue.

maxpower
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it is very strange. I am trying to sync with my work PC, so I guess it could be a firewall issue. I will try with an Amazon book and see if that works.

nickinev
09-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I just wanted to post to say thank you to everyone who worked on this!! I'm loving that I can now sync my non-amazon books on my kindle and apps. I had trouble with a couple ASIN numbers and used the 10 digit ISBN number and it worked perfectly.

Thank you again!
Nicole

maxpower
09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I still have trouble syncing my current location from kindle for pc to my other devices. It syncs fine to the pc application, just not from it. All other syncing between devices works fine.

Am I the only one with this problem? I don't think it is a firewall issue because it works fine with books purchased from amazon.

sylviebi
09-23-2011, 11:36 AM
OMG I had no idea this was working! lol
So I just converted all my books to mobi and fetch metedata and sideloaded (which I take to mean copy by usb cable using calibres send to device) and opened a book and moved it ahead a few pages... went to menu, (this is on k3 and pc) then went on my pc opened the same file I sideloaded synced it to last page read and it worked... i then moved forward a few pages on my pc went back to the library main page. then went on my k3 and synced it and guess what? it worked !!! :thumbsup:
This has made my day! Gees It was a pain going from 1 app to another continually finding my last page read... ahhh bliss

anyway, do I have to sideload or would sending it by email/wifi work?

DiapDealer
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
anyway, do I have to sideload or would sending it by email/wifi work?
Emailing it to your Kindle breaks everthing. It must be sideloaded.

sylviebi
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
DiapDealer: thanks

I was trying it out while you posted and yep your are correct. it does not work. I had to delete the copy on my k3 and sideload it for it to work.

Being inconvenienced once during the sideload or upto 20 times finding the lpr manualy... I'll choose the sideloading option everytime.

Awesome! thanks

nickinev
09-24-2011, 03:43 PM
I agree, it's definitely worth it. I just got a Nook Color, which I rooted and put the Kindle app on. All I had to do was make a folder called "kindle" on my sd card, put the book files in there and the app recognized them and they synced perfectly! :)

Nicole

dmspen
01-04-2012, 10:35 AM
I've started having issues with sideloading. I convert my books to mobi through Calibre, download the metadata, and sideload to both my Kindle and my iPhone 4s. The Whispersync synchronization is NOT working for me. Anyone else having some issues with the sideloading after Calibre conversion?

sadievan
01-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I've started having issues with sideloading. I convert my books to mobi through Calibre, download the metadata, and sideload to both my Kindle and my iPhone 4s. The Whispersync synchronization is NOT working for me. Anyone else having some issues with the sideloading after Calibre conversion?

How are your loading the books to your iPhone. They must be loaded to the Kindle\Library\eBooks folder for this to work. DiskAid is a good program to do this and they now have a free version.

Carol

dmspen
01-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I've been using DiskAid for almost a year. I wonder if I'm NOT dropping the books in the eBook folder. I'll have to check. I think that you can read booksfrom either the Library or eBook folder. I'll check it later. Thanks.

sadievan
01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I've been using DiskAid for almost a year. I wonder if I'm NOT dropping the books in the eBook folder. I'll have to check. I think that you can read booksfrom either the Library or eBook folder. I'll check it later. Thanks.

In order for them to sync, they have to be loaded to the Kindle\Library\eBooks folder.

Carol

just_jeepin
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
@dmspen Try iExplorer, it's free for Mac and PCs. Run iExplorer, select apps, find Kindle app, copy to Documents folder.

sadievan
01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
@dmspen Try iExplorer, it's free for Mac and PCs. Run iExplorer, select apps, find Kindle app, copy to Documents folder.

I tried iExplorer and it wouldn't work on my system. DiskAid however works fine for me.

Carol

dmspen
01-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I found one issue. The books in my Kindle were in folders. I put them directly into the Documents folder and was able to get sync. I still have one book that refuses to sync across any device. I will try to ro-Calibre it and see what happens.

neonbible
01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Does it work for books converted with Calibre? I thought to sync you need the ASIN to be in the format B00xxxxxxx. I use Mobi2Mobi to modify mine.

sadievan
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Does it work for books converted with Calibre? I thought to sync you need the ASIN to be in the format B00xxxxxxx. I use Mobi2Mobi to modify mine.

Yes. I use Calibre and it works fine.

Carol

boecko
01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Great Stuff!
Worked out of the box.

Since my iPhone is jailbroken, i'm using the AppleFileServer-Package for deploying the mobi-files.
I've made an symlink to the Kindle.App-Folder (via ssh of course) for easy navigating.
/var/mobile/eBooks -> /var/mobile/Applications/D075B630-668F-46B7-BF7E-9F5B5F81F0C3/Library/eBooks/

The only caveat is, that the kindle-app doesn't support subfolders.

cheers

tomsem
01-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I am curious: why do you use calibre to create syncable documents, when Personal Documents service will do it for you and also store your notes/highlights (at least it works with Kindles and Kindle4iOS)?

neonbible
01-06-2012, 07:17 AM
For me personally, because you can't sync furthest page read to desktop versions of Kindle yet. And I use a K3, iPhone and desktop to read my books.

dmspen
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I also used to use Mobi2Mobi to edit the metadata so books would sync across devices. Some time ago, the Calibre geniuses figured out how to add the appropriate metadata so syncing would work.

If you use Calibre, please donate to this program as it is superb. (no, I have nothing to do with them, I just think they should get something for the great work they've done):thumbsup:

neonbible
01-09-2012, 08:35 AM
I also used to use Mobi2Mobi to edit the metadata so books would sync across devices. Some time ago, the Calibre geniuses figured out how to add the appropriate metadata so syncing would work.

If you use Calibre, please donate to this program as it is superb. (no, I have nothing to do with them, I just think they should get something for the great work they've done):thumbsup:

Does it happen by default or do I need to enable it during conversion?

CRussel
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Does it happen by default or do I need to enable it during conversion?

You may need to edit the metadata for the book to ensure it gets an Amazon number assigned to it if the source is non-Amazon. My standard workflow is:

Buy book (or Borrow from Library)
Download to local hard disk.
Add to Calibre (This strips DRM if it has it, thanks to Tools.)
Edit Metadata to update cover, ASIN, Series, etc.
Convert to MOBI. Even if it already IS a MOBI. This sets the metadata.
Upload to Kindle and/or Fire.

silashack
01-10-2012, 06:54 AM
OK, been playing with this for a few days now, got my head round most of it, read and re-read posts on here and elsewhere...

But...

In using Calibre, do I NEED to edit the metadata myself? and if so just what part, using Calibre I see no where to edit anything that resembles the EBOK (?) setting, or does the actual conversion to mobi MAKE the edit for you?

And as such does that imply that the item now becomes a 'book' rather than a personal document

I am probably at the stage that having done it so many times, I have probably confused the hell out of myself LoL

Cheers

sadievan
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
OK, been playing with this for a few days now, got my head round most of it, read and re-read posts on here and elsewhere...

But...

In using Calibre, do I NEED to edit the metadata myself? and if so just what part, using Calibre I see no where to edit anything that resembles the EBOK (?) setting, or does the actual conversion to mobi MAKE the edit for you?

And as such does that imply that the item now becomes a 'book' rather than a personal document

I am probably at the stage that having done it so many times, I have probably confused the hell out of myself LoL

Cheers

If you go to Preferences\Output Options, then click on Mobi on the left side, you will then be able to remove the [PDOC] tag and put in the [EBOK] tag.

I always click on 'edit metadata' and then download metadata, so I don't know if conversion alone will add the necessary tags that allow it to sync.

Carol

silashack
01-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks for that, sorted that out, but it still has not covered the latter stages of my query (as such)

After doing the described function, I then emailed the file to my kindle account and it STILL appears as a personal document, not a book... is that the case?

The book is a genuine amazon title, it is not some fuzzy converted pdf or the likes.

This is beginning to bug me a little... as you may have guessed

sadievan
01-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that, sorted that out, but it still has not covered the latter stages of my query (as such)

After doing the described function, I then emailed the file to my kindle account and it STILL appears as a personal document, not a book... is that the case?

The book is a genuine amazon title, it is not some fuzzy converted pdf or the likes.

When you email the book to your Kindle account it is tagged as a Doc that's why it's showing up in the Documents. You need to sideload the book for it to show up in books. I also have preferences set up to remove the [PDOC] tag and add the [EBOK] tag.

Carol

CRussel
01-11-2012, 03:26 PM

If the book is already in Calibre, then changing that setting won't do anything until you convert it to a MOBI. If the book already IS a MOBI, convert it anyway to change that setting. (Any books you brought in to Calibre while it was set to "[PDOC]" will still show as personal documents, not eBooks. Thus no WhisperSync, and they're in the wrong folder on a Fire.

Any new books you buy and import into Calibre will get the new setting assuming your import requires a conversion. If they are DRM-Free MOBI or PRC books, that would not normally be converted, you'll still have to do a mobi-to-mobi conversion to set that.

silashack
01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
OK, read, read and re-read both the above posts and despite following the info..

I have a book.mobi single file, I load that into calibre, i get metadata, i then convert the file to .mobi (ensuring that [ebok] is correct) i then load the file onto the kindle (3k) i read a few pages, i then sync on the k3, i then open my kindle app on the ipad, refresh the archives and when the file appears, i retrieve that to the ipad.

BUT the file still only shows up as a pdoc, and that is the bit that is frustrating me, I have checked the settings, i have made sure the default in the conversion is [EBOK] and have done this a few times now.

The ? is, following these steps, should the entry appear on the "manage your kindle" as a book or a personal document?

Thanks in advance for the patience

I know that emailing and stuff works and i can catch up where i got to on either unit, it is just the fact i like to have things as they should be, aka pedantic old git

Cheers

sadievan
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
OK, read, read and re-read both the above posts and despite following the info..

I have a book.mobi single file, I load that into calibre, i get metadata, i then convert the file to .mobi (ensuring that [ebok] is correct) i then load the file onto the kindle (3k) i read a few pages, i then sync on the k3, i then open my kindle app on the ipad, refresh the archives and when the file appears, i retrieve that to the ipad.

BUT the file still only shows up as a pdoc, and that is the bit that is frustrating me, I have checked the settings, i have made sure the default in the conversion is [EBOK] and have done this a few times now.

The ? is, following these steps, should the entry appear on the "manage your kindle" as a book or a personal document?

Thanks in advance for the patience

I know that emailing and stuff works and i can catch up where i got to on either unit, it is just the fact i like to have things as they should be, aka pedantic old git

Cheers

I would delete the file from your personal docs in Amazon. Not in the ebook section (if you bought the book from Amazon) but the personal doc section since you said you had originally emailed the book to your personal docs @ amazon. Delete the book from your iPad also. Then maybe delete the book from Calibre and reimport it. Then try everything.

Carol

sylviebi
01-13-2012, 10:43 AM
you might want to start over with a different book and make sure that you sideload it not email it. I have found that if once you have emailed it to the device and opened it and then remove it and do the sideload that it wont work anyway. So start over with a new book.
1. Even if your file is already mobi use calibre to convert it to mobi and select the send to device to send it to your kindle not email. This is sideloading.
2. to get it to your iapple device you will need to sideload it there too. Do not use the itunes adding documents feature this wipes the synch. I use iexplorer (it's free) and copy the mobi file created by calibre to the folder called apps, com.amazon.lassen, library, ebooks.
3. to get it to the kindle pc app, I copy the mobi file created by calibre to the kindle pc folder in my case its c:\My Documents\My eBooks\My Kindle Content
4. I open the book on kindle first, then close it and then reopen it. I then move a couple of pages ahead, then I close it and go to the menu and select check for new items and synch.
5. I open the book on my pc by going to the folder c:\My Documents\My eBooks\My Kindle Content and double click on the mobi file. I click on library and synch/check for new items and the open the book by selecting it in the library. then I click on synch to furthest page and voila it says your last page read was.... do you want to go...
6. I then go to the iapple device and open the kindle app and open the book, then close it, then open it again then select the synch and then voila is says your last page was... do you want to go....

I don't always do this all at once. Well I do copy it to all 3 devices as I frequently read on all 3 devices. I just don't check do the whole open and synch thing until I am actualy ready to read on said devices.

I should mention that in calibre I do not do anything special to convert it to mobi for the synching to work. it's whatever the default settings are. I always run the latest calibre and latest kindle contents addin.

This is for my kindle 3 keyboard original, kindle app for ipoud touch latest gen (the white one with the cameras and micraphone) I think it's 5th? or is that 4th? and on my xp kindle pc software. Synching works perfectly.
goodluck...

leefa
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
This is not working for me. Here are the steps I took.

go to Preferences\Output Options, then click on Mobi on the left side, replaced the [PDOC] tag in the kindle section with [EBOK].
Download Metadata to update cover, ASIN, Series, etc.
Re-convert to MOBI
Sideload to Kindle via usb
Sideload to Android via dropbox

on kindle

open book and page forward 3 pages
home
sync & check for items

on Android in kindle app

open book
sync to last page

on Android, it says at "you are currently at the furthest read location"

found the ASIN on Amazon. now its working for pc and kindle, but still not snycing with Android

sadievan
01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
you might want to start over with a different book and make sure that you sideload it not email it. I have found that if once you have emailed it to the device and opened it and then remove it and do the sideload that it wont work anyway. So start over with a new book.
1. Even if your file is already mobi use calibre to convert it to mobi and select the send to device to send it to your kindle not email. This is sideloading.
2. to get it to your iapple device you will need to sideload it there too. Do not use the itunes adding documents feature this wipes the synch. I use iexplorer (it's free) and copy the mobi file created by calibre to the folder called apps, com.amazon.lassen, library, ebooks.
3. to get it to the kindle pc app, I copy the mobi file created by calibre to the kindle pc folder in my case its c:\My Documents\My eBooks\My Kindle Content
4. I open the book on kindle first, then close it and then reopen it. I then move a couple of pages ahead, then I close it and go to the menu and select check for new items and synch.
5. I open the book on my pc by going to the folder c:\My Documents\My eBooks\My Kindle Content and double click on the mobi file. I click on library and synch/check for new items and the open the book by selecting it in the library. then I click on synch to furthest page and voila it says your last page read was.... do you want to go...
6. I then go to the iapple device and open the kindle app and open the book, then close it, then open it again then select the synch and then voila is says your last page was... do you want to go....

I don't always do this all at once. Well I do copy it to all 3 devices as I frequently read on all 3 devices. I just don't check do the whole open and synch thing until I am actualy ready to read on said devices.

I should mention that in calibre I do not do anything special to convert it to mobi for the synching to work. it's whatever the default settings are. I always run the latest calibre and latest kindle contents addin.

This is for my kindle 3 keyboard original, kindle app for ipoud touch latest gen (the white one with the cameras and micraphone) I think it's 5th? or is that 4th? and on my xp kindle pc software. Synching works perfectly.
goodluck...

After you've emailed a book to your kindle you have to go into your Amazon account and remove it from your 'Personal Documents'. NOT your ebooks page but your 'Personal Documents' page. That is why it keeps showing up as a Doc.

Carol

sadievan
01-13-2012, 05:12 PM
This is not working for me. Here are the steps I took.

go to Preferences\Output Options, then click on Mobi on the left side, replaced the [PDOC] tag in the kindle section with [EBOK].
Download Metadata to update cover, ASIN, Series, etc.
Re-convert to MOBI
Sideload to Kindle via usb
Sideload to Android via dropbox

on kindle

open book and page forward 3 pages
home
sync & check for items

on Android in kindle app

open book
sync to last page

on Android, it says at "you are currently at the furthest read location"

I verified that the metadata has ASIN and EBOK:
EXTH item: 113 - ASIN - 36 - 335f3094-ab66-45dd-8938-367986269d03
EXTH item: 501 - CDEContentType - 4 - EBOK

I don't have a Android phone so don't know, but can you sideload the book through USB. I think the problem is that you are sideloading it via Dropbox. I know with the iPhone it has to be put in a specific folder and this can be done by sideloading through USB on the computer. I use DiskAid for this. Other methods of sideloading put the books in the wrong folder, thus they won't sync.

Carol

leefa
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't have a Android phone so don't know, but can you sideload the book through USB. I think the problem is that you are sideloading it via Dropbox. I know with the iPhone it has to be put in a specific folder and this can be done by sideloading through USB on the computer. I use DiskAid for this. Other methods of sideloading put the books in the wrong folder, thus they won't sync.

Carol

I tried loading via usb and that didn't work either. maybe I'm not putting it in the correct folder. I tried the kindle folder and the android\data\com.amazon.kindle folders

sadievan
01-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I tried loading via usb and that didn't work either. maybe I'm not putting it in the correct folder. I tried the kindle folder and the android\data\com.amazon.kindle folders

I don't know how the file structure on Android works. On the iPhone the books must be put in the Kindle\Library\eBooks folder. Maybe someone with an Android phone could chime in.

Carol

rastik
01-16-2012, 02:03 AM
kindle folder (on your SD card) is the correct one. Make sure you don't have a file with the same name somewhere else. Best would be to start with a new one as someone suggested.

maxpower
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Is there any way to side load books into the kindle cloud reader for chrome and have them sync?

ken010107
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
oh yeah! what maxpower said!
would love to sideload/read from the kindle cloud reader for chrome. (and sync of course)...