View Full Version : Cool Reader on Android

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Buggins
12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Cool Reader 3 Android port is available on Market (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.org-coolreader-qCtqn.aspx)

CoolReader is free, cross platform, open source (GPL2) e-book viewer.

Supported formats

FB2 - full support, including images, styles, footnotes, tables
TXT, TCR - automatic reformatting of paragraphs, with heading detection
HTML - partial support, but includes css styles, tables, lists, etc.
EPUB - supported styles, images, tables, TOC. Not supported: SVG, embedded fonts, MathML
RTF - limited support, no images, styles supported partially
CHM - limited support

Features

View as paper book pages or scroll
One or two pages in landscape mode
Internal file browser to open books
Configurable font face, size, style, interline space, text color, background (solid color, tiled or stretched image)
External fonts, background images, CSS styles
Book coverpages in file browser
Supports install on SD (Android 2.2+)
Customizable tap zone actions
Customizable key actions (including volume keys)
Can lock sensor screen and trackball
Can set custom display backlight brightness

Project page on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/)
Manual Wiki (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crengine/index.php?title=CR3_android_user_guide)
Russian forum (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=191747)

Please post your objections and feature requests under this topic.

kennyc
12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks!

Carl314
12-24-2010, 10:34 AM
What does "css styles" mean? Only inline CSS? Virtually all of my e-books use CSS style sheets, which Cool Reader does not appear to support.

Dopedangel
12-24-2010, 11:37 AM
What does "css styles" mean? Only inline CSS? Virtually all of my e-books use CSS style sheets, which Cool Reader does not appear to support.

In the orginal coolreader that is in hanlin readers you can set a css style sheet by format so that you don't ha ve to set css or modify css for different books but set the ident etc once and then you can make it ignore the css in the ebook.
I think maybe he is talking about that
Here is an topic I found talking a bit about that
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77130

Buggins
12-24-2010, 01:24 PM

I mean default styles for formats.

When opening file, CoolReader loads corresponding .css file (e.g. txt.css for txt, epub.css for epub, rtf.css for rtf) from /.cr3/, or from package if external file is not found.
This loaded style is used as base style.
If some additional style is defined for document (e.g. element style attribute specified, or document specific stylesheet), additional styles override base styles.

If document specific style is not loaded/used, it's a bug. Could you provide some samples of such files?

Supported subset of CSS is described on SF Wiki (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crengine/index.php?title=CSS_support)

TXT files are actually being converted internally into fb2 like XML format.
So you can define style p {} for paragraphs and title {} for headings.

Sample .css files can be found in SourceForge GIT repository.

SlowRain
12-25-2010, 08:47 AM
I always like it when authors reach out to their audience, and I likewise appreciate it when app developers reach out to their users.

For me, the reading-software benchmark is still Mobipocket. It was absolutely perfect...until Amazon bought them and razed them in order to develop their Kindle.

Some of the features they had in addition to the current Cool Reader features were:

- offline dictionary support
- note taking and highlighting
- export notes
- a desktop version, and the ability to sync the two
- option to hide all progress indicators

Carl314
12-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Buggins - I see you're the developer. Do you have any intention of adding full css support? While using one unified style sheet for all epubs is not feasible given how different epub formatting is in different books. As an example, many Overdrive epubs don't even use <p> or <h1-6> tags - all formatting is buried in custom styles, and the books use <div> and <span> tags instead.)

Reading those books in an app without css support is an exercise in futility.

The newest version of Aldiko is bloated and slow, as the devs are more interested in drm support than a streamlined app. The market is ripe for a competing product to step in.

Cheers, Carl.

Buggins
12-25-2010, 02:36 PM
New version uploaded to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.39/)

TXT paragraphs / headings detections fixed for some types of TXT formatting.

Buggins
12-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Buggins - I see you're the developer. Do you have any intention of adding full css support? While using one unified style sheet for all epubs is not feasible given how different epub formatting is in different books. As an example, many Overdrive epubs don't even use <p> or <h1-6> tags - all formatting is buried in custom styles, and the books use <div> and <span> tags instead.)

Reading those books in an app without css support is an exercise in futility.

The newest version of Aldiko is bloated and slow, as the devs are more interested in drm support than a streamlined app. The market is ripe for a competing product to step in.

Cheers, Carl.

Most of CSS text formatting already supported.
They already cover most of required styles for EPUB.
I'm adding support of new properies from time to time.

Buggins
12-25-2010, 02:46 PM
- export notes

Will be implemented in a week.

- a desktop version, and the ability to sync the two

There is a cross platform desktop version, but synchronization is not yet supported. I'll consider implementation of this feature.

- option to hide all progress indicators

What do you mean? Page header show at top of page? It can be turned off in Settings.

Carl314
12-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Most of CSS text formatting already supported.
They already cover most of required styles for EPUB.
I'm adding support of new properies from time to time.

OK, Cool Reader does not appear to apply the CSS file within the epub itself, unless I'm missing a setting. Using one unified css file for all epubs doesn't work when each individual epub has unique formatting defined in its CSS.

I am looking forward to annotations and highlighting, however. Perhaps once you implement those, I can see if there is a suitable workaround to the CSS issue.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Carl.

Buggins
12-25-2010, 03:45 PM
OK, Cool Reader does not appear to apply the CSS file within the epub itself, unless I'm missing a setting. Using one unified css file for all epubs doesn't work when each individual epub has unique formatting defined in its CSS.

I am looking forward to annotations and highlighting, however. Perhaps once you implement those, I can see if there is a suitable workaround to the CSS issue.

It looks like internal .CSS is not used by some reason. It's a bug.
Could you provide sample .epub with such problem?

Carl314
12-25-2010, 08:13 PM
OK - here's a link to a sample epub file with a CSS sheet embedded in it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349902/Test-small.epub

Cheers, Carl.

Carl314
12-25-2010, 08:16 PM
One feature request - custom catalog support via OPDS.

Cheers, Carl.

SlowRain
12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Will be implemented in a week.

There is a cross platform desktop version, but synchronization is not yet supported. I'll consider implementation of this feature.
All of that sounds very, very good. I look forward to trying it out.

What do you mean? Page header show at top of page? It can be turned off in Settings.
Most readers have the ability to hide the progress bar, but then they put a percentage indicator on the bookmarks or notes. If I make a note or bookmark and see that it is at the 80% mark, I know that the book is close to the end. It ruins the last-page effect for me. I want the option to hide all progress indicators.

Buggins
12-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Most readers have the ability to hide the progress bar, but then they put a percentage indicator on the bookmarks or notes. If I make a note or bookmark and see that it is at the 80% mark, I know that the book is close to the end. It ruins the last-page effect for me. I want the option to hide all progress indicators.

In current version, you can turn page header off in settings.
Don't use bookkmarks nor TOC - then you will not know book position.

SlowRain
12-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Yes, I turn the progress bar off whenever I install a new reading app, but not using the bookmarking feature defeats the purpose for me. The ability to highlight and make bookmarks and notes are important for the way that I read. I just want the option--and really, it's just an option--to not have the percentage indicator show. That's all.

Buggins
01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
New version on Market supports text selection using double tap. and copying of selected text to clipboard.
using external dictionary app like Fora Dictionary, it's possible to find selected words in dictionary.

Ralob
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I found this app to be the best e-reader for a smartphone. Thanks for the hard work, Buggins. You definitely coded a fine piece of e-reading software.

Neurozool
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi,

First off, you are my hero! I am proof reading a book for the author and it is only available in RFT and I was sweating bullets trying to find some app that would do that. Yay!

Second- how do you highlight when the book is RFT? I need to be able to highlight/bookmark and make notes. It would be great if I could highlight like Kindle does (Long press) and then if it would prompt "Add note?" In Kindle I have to highlight, then add a note, which can be messy when I send errors to the author.

The best feature would be if there was an option to email all notes/highlights and it would include the original page numbers where those notes would be found. Not sure how feasible that is, maybe a Proof Readers Cool Reader Version?? (Hopeful) :D

Thanks again!

Neurozool
01-08-2011, 12:24 PM
The main problem I am running into now is that it will not show italics. There are some minor issues with formating (paragraph starts, putting the begining of one chapter at the end of the last, running sentences together) These errors are not found on the original manuscript so it is Cool Reader.

If you were able to make a proof readers version I think you could charge for it- I know I would part with a few dollars if it made it easier to read manuscripts still in the rft.

Dave_S
01-09-2011, 12:30 PM
There are some minor issues with formating (paragraph starts, putting the begining of one chapter at the end of the last, running sentences together) These errors are not found on the original manuscript so it is Cool Reader.

Have you configured the rtf.css file in the /.cr3/ directory on the SD card to produce the formatting that you want for RTF ? I do not read RTF, but fb2.css can configure FB2 presentation just the way I want to see it.

Carl314
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
It looks like internal .CSS is not used by some reason. It's a bug.
Could you provide sample .epub with such problem?

Buggins - just in case my message (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1293552&postcount=13) got buried in the thread, I posted a small sample file with an embedded css sheet embedded.

I don't like the direction that my current reader, Aldiko, is headed, but I'm holding onto it until cool reader works with css.

Thanks, Carl.

macr0t0r
01-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Just tried out Cool Reader on the Archos A5 tablet (Android 1.6, 800x480 5" screen). So far, I really like the interface customizations and it seems quite stable. However, it does not appear to support inline links (used for footnotes or other references). Currently, those are supported by Aldiko and FBReader. Any intent to add that feature?
- Jim

Buggins
01-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Just tried out Cool Reader on the Archos A5 tablet (Android 1.6, 800x480 5" screen). So far, I really like the interface customizations and it seems quite stable. However, it does not appear to support inline links (used for footnotes or other references). Currently, those are supported by Aldiko and FBReader. Any intent to add that feature?
- Jim

Try long tap on link.
Move back using menu/goto or assign Back action on some key or tap zone.
(If doesn't work, upgrade version).

Buggins
01-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Buggins - just in case my message (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1293552&postcount=13) got buried in the thread, I posted a small sample file with an embedded css sheet embedded.

I don't like the direction that my current reader, Aldiko, is headed, but I'm holding onto it until cool reader works with css.

Thanks, Carl.

Thank you!
I'll check it and fix reader.

Buggins
01-10-2011, 08:07 AM
The main problem I am running into now is that it will not show italics. There are some minor issues with formating (paragraph starts, putting the begining of one chapter at the end of the last, running sentences together) These errors are not found on the original manuscript so it is Cool Reader.

Could you provide sample .rtf with bad formatting?

Btw, r you sure that font you are using has Italic? (Possible, Droid font doesn't have Italic).
You can try to put some .ttf including italics (e.g. arial.ttf, ariali.ttf, arialb.ttf, arialbi.ttf) to SD/fonts or SD/.cr3/fonts, and then specify new font face in settings.
Possible, italic will work.

Buggins
01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi,
Second- how do you highlight when the book is RFT? I need to be able to highlight/bookmark and make notes. It would be great if I could highlight like Kindle does (Long press) and then if it would prompt "Add note?" In Kindle I have to highlight, then add a note, which can be messy when I send errors to the author.

The best feature would be if there was an option to email all notes/highlights and it would include the original page numbers where those notes would be found. Not sure how feasible that is, maybe a Proof Readers Cool Reader Version?? (Hopeful) :D

Thanks again!

Text range bookmarks / notes / corrections feature is planned for nearest time. It already exists in CoolReader for other plaforms and will be ported to Android soon.

Please find below description of planned functionality.

All Notes are stored internally as Bookmarks.
Currently, only one type of bookmarks is supported in CR3/Android: position bookmark w/o range and comment (actually, points to first word on page at the time bookmark is created).
New types of bookmark should be added:
Comment Bookmark: range, text containing in range, and comments for text.
Correction Bookmark: range, text containing in range, and corrected text.

To add range bookmark (comment or correction), toggle Selection mode (using menu or action assigned on some key or tap zone).
Now, selected text is simple copied to clipboard.
Instead, toolbar with possible actions will appear on end of selection:
copy to clipboard/add comment bookmark/add correction bookmark/search in dictionary/...
Once add bookmark action is selected, bookmark editing dialog should appear, with "Selection text" readonly textbox, and "Comment/Correction" editable text box.
If bookmark is saved, it should be available in Bookmarks dialog list.
Optionally, it will be possible to highlight all range bookmarks in text. Long tap on highlighted range will open bookmark edit dialog.
Internally, all bookmarks are stored in CR3 application database.
It should be possible to export bookmarks into file, either in TXT (human readable format) or XML (e.g. to share bookmarks between devices, or with Desktop version of reader).

Described functionality is planned to be implemented in 1-2 weeks.

Do you have any suggestions?

macr0t0r
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Okay, we have links now! This reader seems to have appeared out of nowhere, but I like what I see so far. It's already defeated Aldiko and Moon+, so now it's time to pit it against FBReader. I'll have to see how well I can set it up with my Calibre Library. Does your reader support *.ePub links from the browser?
- Jim

dmon65
01-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Thank You!

This works wonderfully on all the Calibre converted epubs I have on my old Smart Q 7" tablet running Android. I may be able to finally shrink down to one reader app soon!

Thank You again!

Oh, and one more thing... Has anyone with a hacked nook color tried this software yet?

Neurozool
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
It sound like this will just keep getting better and better- Awesome!

I have the book on my computer and can see the italics on that copy. I am not sure I am allowed to post any examples as it is not my work and is not published yet by the author. I will see if I can set it so that the italics show. It is great to know that it is possible.

My main issue now is that there are only 10 bookmark slots, but I see that this issue will be addressed very soon. I look forward to trying it out! Will you post the apk here? Finding a working download link was hard as my Archos 5 does not have the market.

Thank you again.

Dopedangel
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM
1) I would like to be able to find the same page on my hanlin v3 and my android phone easily I mostly read on my Hanlin reader but sometimes when I am stuck without it for a 10-15 minutes I would like to be able to continue my reading.

2) Ability to browse Dropbox from inside coolreader so I can access my calibre library that I store their.

3) Donate with Paypal button somewhere inside as I can't buy from the market

macr0t0r
01-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Okay, I had time to mess around with it some more. A couple issues:

1: Doesn't seem to respect page breaks in the ePub (@page). I notice that my chapters seem to be all squished together.

2: The footnotes (links) feature does not respect anchors. It will get to the proper html file within the ePub, but it always selects the top.
Example link:
<a href="book_split_003.html#footnote5" class="footnoteBack">return</a>

Otherwise, it's looking pretty good. Keep it up!

- Jim

Buggins
01-11-2011, 04:09 AM
I have the book on my computer and can see the italics on that copy. I am not sure I am allowed to post any examples as it is not my work and is not published yet by the author. I will see if I can set it so that the italics show. It is great to know that it is possible.

Just try using non-Droid font (which one doesn't have italics as I suspect).
Place .ttf on SD card as I described above and select in options / font face.
I believe, problem with Italic should disappear.
(Coolreader itself cannot create italic characters by modification of normal characters)

My main issue now is that there are only 10 bookmark slots, but I see that this issue will be addressed very soon. I look forward to trying it out!

Actially, 10 slots are for shortcut bookmarks (on devices with hardware keyboard, you can long press 0..9 key to set bookmark with corresponding shortcut, and short press 0..9 to go to corresponding bookmark position.
Arbitrary (unlimited) number of bookmarks is already supported in engine, but doesn't have GUI to use them.

Will you post the apk here? Finding a working download link was hard as my Archos 5 does not have the market.

I'll upload all versions (published on Market) on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/) downloads page.

Buggins
01-11-2011, 04:17 AM
1) I would like to be able to find the same page on my hanlin v3 and my android phone easily I mostly read on my Hanlin reader but sometimes when I am stuck without it for a 10-15 minutes I would like to be able to continue my reading.

Are you using CoolReader to read books on V3? Or Adobe reader?
Which format are you reading?
If it's possible to move SD card from Hanlin to Andoid device, it's possible to modify CoolReader on both devices, to save last position and bookmarks to file on SD card, in the same directory where book is located.

2) Ability to browse Dropbox from inside coolreader so I can access my calibre library that I store their.

I can add this feature if there is any library/API for dropbox on Android.

3) Donate with Paypal button somewhere inside as I can't buy from the market
I have PayPal account, but unfortunately, PayPal doesn't allow send money to accounts registered in Russia.

Dopedangel
01-11-2011, 05:22 AM
I am using coolreader for reading on my Hanlin v3 and changing sd card is not an option. If I could just see the percentage in Hanlin then I could easily find the place on Android. Wont work the other way around as you can't navigate by percentage in hanlin.

Dropbox api is here
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/releases

Buggins
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I am using coolreader for reading on my Hanlin v3 and changing sd card is not an option. If I could just see the percentage in Hanlin then I could easily find the place on Android. Wont work the other way around as you can't navigate by percentage in hanlin.

Dropbox api is here
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/releases

I can add "Go to percent" to hanlin version of CoolReader. Do you have V3 or V3+?

Thank you for DropBox link.

Dopedangel
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I can add "Go to percent" to hanlin version of CoolReader. Do you have V3 or V3+?

Thank you for DropBox link.

I am using v3 I tried your latest update released on the 6th and I cannot open any epubs with it (am talking about v3)

Buggins
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I am using v3 I tried your latest update released on the 6th and I cannot open any epubs with it (am talking about v3)

Something is wrong with this firmware image for V3. CR doesn't start at all. Versions for V3+/V5 work ok.
Will try to make working firmware update.

Logseman
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I can add this feature if there is any library/API for dropbox on Android.
Rest sure there is: TitaniumBackup allows to keep apps' backups and sync them with dropbox.

Carl314
01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Rest sure there is: TitaniumBackup allows to keep apps' backups and sync them with dropbox.

Wouldn't OPDS support work even better? That way we can export our calibre libraries to dropbox, and then download books sorted by tags, author, title, etc. using cool reader? (Aldiko supports this, and I understand that Moon+ does as well, but have not tried it on the latter).

Cheers, Carl.

Logseman
01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
For books, OPDS would work, but I imagine that users would like to have their reading set-up backed up, particularly when there are so many options as in CoolReader. E.G I just bought an Advent Vega (10 inch tablet) and I have a different configuration than in my Samsung Galaxy S (4 inch smartphone), for example the double column mode.

Dopedangel
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
For books, OPDS would work, but I imagine that users would like to have their reading set-up backed up, particularly when there are so many options as in CoolReader. E.G I just bought an Advent Vega (10 inch tablet) and I have a different configuration than in my Samsung Galaxy S (4 inch smartphone), for example the double column mode.

Plus with dropbox something like whisper sync could be possible for android devices meaning you could use different devices to read the same ebook without loosing your place.

Neurozool
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Actially, 10 slots are for shortcut bookmarks (on devices with hardware keyboard, you can long press 0..9 key to set bookmark with corresponding shortcut, and short press 0..9 to go to corresponding bookmark position.
Arbitrary (unlimited) number of bookmarks is already supported in engine, but doesn't have GUI to use them.

My Archos does not have a hard keyboard, so I rely on the quick book marks. Maybe just a genetic bookmark button like Kindle, then in the 'Go to' section you could have "bookmarks" where it would list them all.

I'll upload all versions (published on Market) on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/) downloads page.

I tried to download from this location, but the format is not apk and my device could not run it. I ended up tracking it down else where and saving it to my computer then dragging it on to the Archos, opening it and running it before it would install. Totally worth it, but man...what a pain.

What do you think that the chances you might make a pay version with extra features for proof-readers? A few ideas if you do- a built in word doc like Think Free with a keyboard with correction short hand keys. (characters for remove- put a slash though letters, words, punctuation, ect)

Thanks again!

Dave_S
01-13-2011, 01:16 AM
I tried to download from this location, but the format is not apk and my device could not run it.

You must have looked in the wrong place then. The Android APK files really are there on SourceForge when I looked.

Dopedangel
01-13-2011, 01:38 AM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.40/

you can find the latest apk here sometimes even before it gets to the market
in the market currently it 3.0.40-6 where as you can get 3.0.40-8

macr0t0r
01-13-2011, 04:05 AM
What are the changes in 3.0.40-8?
Does it now support page-breaks?
Do the footnote links follow anchors?
This reader is getting really close to being quite usable. It just needs these formatting and navigation issues solved.

- Jim

Dopedangel
01-13-2011, 04:58 AM
What are the changes in 3.0.40-8?
Does it now support page-breaks?
Do the footnote links follow anchors?
This reader is getting really close to being quite usable. It just needs these formatting and navigation issues solved.

- Jim

You can follow the opensource commit log here

http://crengine.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=crengine/crengine;a=shortlog

Logseman
01-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Plus with dropbox something like whisper sync could be possible for android devices meaning you could use different devices to read the same ebook without loosing your place.

That would be uber-cool. Would Amazon sue? :D

Neurozool
01-13-2011, 04:13 PM
My biggest issue now is that if I write down a page number where an error is, then close the reader and reopen it, it must format it different then the previous time, as that page number will now show a few pages behind or in front of where I was. I just spotted this, and have several hundred pages of errors written down, where there are now no errors. I will have to go though the original manuscript page by page to locate where they are. Is there a reason that page 15 is sometimes page 13 or page 20??

And ya, I was at the wrong place when I downloaded before! Thanks for posting that link!

macr0t0r
01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
You can follow the opensource commit log here

http://crengine.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=crengine/crengine;a=shortlog

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Do you need any sample ePub formatting for page-breaks?

- Jim

Dopedangel
01-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Do you need any sample ePub formatting for page-breaks?

- Jim

Sorry to give you the wrong impression I am not the programmer :eek:
But you can give a sample anyway Buggins does check here so wouldn't hurt

You can also try this epub.css it is the latest updates from the git has not been pushed to app yet.
Save it as epub.css in .cr3 or .cr3engine folder in your sdcard
you can edit it to suit your needs you might have to make the folder if it does not exsist.

body { text-align: left; text-indent: 0px }
p { text-align: justify; text-indent: 1.3em; margin-top:0em; margin-bottom: 0em }
*.justindent { text-align: justify; text-indent: 1.3em; margin-top:0em; margin-bottom: 0em }

DocFragment { page-break-before: always }

empty-line { height: 1em }

hr { height: 1px; background-color: #808080; margin-top: 0.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em }

sub { vertical-align: sub; font-size: 70% }
sup { vertical-align: super; font-size: 70% }
strong, b { font-weight: bold }
emphasis, i { font-style: italic }

a { text-decoration: underline }
a[type="note"] { vertical-align: super; font-size: 70%; text-decoration: none }

image { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px }
p image { display: inline }

title p, subtitle p, h1 p, h2 p, h3 p, h4 p, h5 p, h6 p { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px }
cite p, epigraph p { text-align: left; text-indent: 0px }
v { text-align: left; text-indent: 0px }

stanza + stanza { margin-top: 1em; }
stanza { margin-left: 30%; text-align: left; font-style: italic }
poem { margin-top: 1em; margin-bottom: 1em; text-indent: 0px }
text-author { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-left: 5%}
epigraph { margin-left: 25%; margin-right: 1em; text-align: left; text-indent: 1px; font-style: italic; margin-top: 15px; margin-bottom: 25px }
cite { font-style: italic; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; text-align: justyfy; margin-top: 20px; margin-bottom: 20px }

title, h1, h2 { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; font-weight: bold; hyphenate: none; page-break-before: always; page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid; }
subtitle, h3, h4, h5, h6 { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; font-weight: bold; hyphenate: none; page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid; }
title { font-size: 110%; margin-top: 0.7em; margin-bottom: 0.5em }
subtitle { font-style: italic; margin-top: 0.3em; margin-bottom: 0.3em }
h1 { font-size: 150% }
h2 { font-size: 140% }
h3 { font-size: 130% }
h4 { font-size: 120% }
h5 { font-size: 110% }

table { font-size: 80% }
td, th { text-indent: 0px; padding: 3px }
th { font-weight: bold; background-color: #DDD }
table > caption { text-indent: 0px; padding: 4px; background-color: #EEE }

code, pre { display: block; white-space: pre; text-align: left; font-family: "Courier New", "Courier", monospace; text-align: left }

body[name="notes"] { font-size: 70%; }
body[name="notes"] section title { display: run-in; text-align: left; font-size: 110%; font-weight: bold; page-break-before: auto; page-break-inside: auto; page-break-after: auto; }
body[name="notes"] section title p { display: inline }

description { display: block; }
title-info { display: block; }
annotation { margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; font-size: 80%; font-style: italic; text-align: justify; text-indent: 1.2em }
date { display: block; font-size: 80%; font-style: italic; text-align: center }
genre { display: none; }
author { display: none; }
book-title { display: none; }
keywords { display: none; }
lang { display: none; }
src-lang { display: none; }
translator { display: none; }
document-info { display: none; }
publish-info { display: none; }
custom-info { display: none; }
coverpage { display: none }

head, form, script { display: none; }

body { margin: 0; text-align: justify; }

hr {
height: 2px;
background-color: #808080;
margin-top: 0.5em;
margin-bottom: 0.5em;
}

b,strong,i,em,dfn,var,q,u,del,s,strike,small,big,s ub,sup,acronym,tt,sa mp,kbd,code {
display: inline;
}

b,strong { font-weight: bold; }
i,em,dfn,var { font-style: italic; }

u { text-decoration: underline; }
del,s,strike { text-decoration: line-through; }
small { font-size: 80%; }
big { font-size: 130%; }
sub { vertical-align: sub; font-size: 70% }
sup { vertical-align: super; font-size: 70% }
tt, samp, kbd, code, pre { font-family: "Courier New", "Courier", monospace; }
pre { display: block;
white-space: pre;
text-align: left;
/* background-color: #BFBFBF; */
}

nobr { display: inline; hyphenate: none; white-space: nowrap; }

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 0.3em;
font-weight: bold;
text-align: left;
}
h1 { font-size: 150%;
/* color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #000000; */
padding: 10px ;
}
h2 { font-size: 135%;
/* color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #808080; */
padding: 10px ;
}
h3 { font-size: 125% }
h4 { font-size: 125%; font-style: italic; }
h5 { font-size: 115%; font-style: italic; }
h6 { font-size: 105%; font-style: italic; }

ul, ol, dl {
display: block;
margin-left: 1em;
margin-top:0.3em;
/* background-color: #808080; */
}

li {
display: list-item;
margin-top: 0.3em;
}

dl { margin-left: 0em; }
dt { display: block; margin-left: 0em; margin-top:0.3em; font-weight: bold; }
dd { display: block; margin-left: 1.3em; }

a { display:inline; text-decoration: underline; }

span { display: inline; }

cite { display: inline; font-style: italic;}
div { display: block; }
blockquote { display: block;
margin-left: 1.5em;
margin-right: 1.5em;
}

img {
margin: 0.5em;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0em;
border-style: solid;
border-width: medium;
}

table { font-size: 100% }
td, th { text-indent: 0px; padding: 3px }
th { font-weight: bold; text-align: center; background-color: #808080; }
table caption { text-indent: 0px; padding: 4px; }

macr0t0r
01-14-2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the info, but I don't think I want to go too bleeding-edge here. I'll stick with FBReader for now as I monitor this thread and that GIT report. If I see a note of link anchors being implemented, I'll give it another go. I'll then try out the CSS stylesheet if I still have pagebreak issues. Thanks!

- Jim

Jabby
01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi all

I have a Cruz Tablet T301 running Android 2.0. I downloaded cr3-0-40-08.apk to my PC and transfered it to my Cruz but half way thru the install I was notified that the install was unsuccessful. Anybody have any idea why?

Thank - John

Buggins
01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
New version, 3.0.41-2 is uploaded to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.41/)

A lot of changes in CHM, EPUB support.

Will be published on Market after some testing, if no issues found.

Jabby
01-15-2011, 05:32 PM
New version, 3.0.41-2 is uploaded to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.41/)

I posed th following earlier:

I have a Cruz Tablet T301 running Android 2.0. I downloaded cr3-0-40-08.apk to my PC and transfered it to my Cruz but half way through the install I was notified that the install was unsuccessful. Anybody have any idea why?

I downloaded version 3.0.41-2 with the same results.

I have found since, that the problem could be the software trying to access non-existent hardware (3G, GPS, camera etc). Does CoolReader fall into that category? How you can tell software won't run before you run it, is still a mystery.

Thanks - John

steven522
01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
I loaded the latest version on my pandigital novel. It seems to work well other than a couple of annoyances.
First, it always opens the last book accessed. I have tried to find a setting to stop this action but can't locate one. Would rather have it go to a default folder.
Second, when hitting the back button, the app seems to loop through the last three steps over and over instead of backing up or out of the program.

Buggins
01-16-2011, 01:54 AM
I posed th following earlier:

I have a Cruz Tablet T301 running Android 2.0. I downloaded cr3-0-40-08.apk to my PC and transfered it to my Cruz but half way through the install I was notified that the install was unsuccessful. Anybody have any idea why?

I downloaded version 3.0.41-2 with the same results.

I have found since, that the problem could be the software trying to access non-existent hardware (3G, GPS, camera etc). Does CoolReader fall into that category? How you can tell software won't run before you run it, is still a mystery.

Thanks - John

Could you provide logs of unsuccessful install?
Logs can be saved using "Android System Info" utility (available on market).

CoolReader requires additional permissions specified in package manifest.
WAKE_LOCK - to extend backlight timeout
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - to access SD card

Buggins
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
I loaded the latest version on my pandigital novel. It seems to work well other than a couple of annoyances.
First, it always opens the last book accessed. I have tried to find a setting to stop this action but can't locate one. Would rather have it go to a default folder.
Second, when hitting the back button, the app seems to loop through the last three steps over and over instead of backing up or out of the program.

I can add startup action setting:
- open last book
- open recent books list
- open last folder
- open root folder

Would it be enough?

Buggins
01-16-2011, 01:57 AM

Key actions are configurable insettings dialog. Just choose Exit action for Back key.

Jabby
01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Could you provide logs of unsuccessful install?
Logs can be saved using "Android System Info" utility (available on market).

I would if I could. My, and many other tablets don't have access to the "market". Do you, or anyone, have any idea where else I could get this utility?

CoolReader requires additional permissions specified in package manifest.
WAKE_LOCK - to extend backlight timeout
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - to access SD card

Thanks for the info about the permissions provision. I didn't know that existed but it sounds like a good idea. As an aside, the Cruz uses "Astro" as its file manager/installer.

Thanks and regards - John

P.S. Congratulations! It sounds like you are in the home stretch of a blockbuster product.

steven522
01-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I can add startup action setting:
- open last book
- open recent books list
- open last folder
- open root folder

Would it be enough?

Personally, if I exit while inside a book I would like it to open with a return to the book where I left off. If I back out of the book and exit from inside the file listing I would like it to return to the file listing on open.
Just always returning to the last book accessed was sometimes a pain.

steven522
01-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Key actions are configurable insettings dialog. Just choose Exit action for Back key.

Maybe I should ask if there is a proper way to actually close a book. It looks as if the reader always is in a state of "book is open".

Buggins
01-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Update 3.0.41-3 uploaded on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.41/) and on Market

- fixed HTML, EPUB, CHM pages external CSS link
- fixed ZIP parallel streams reading error
- fixed CSS bugs with page breaks and letter spacing
- fixed Toggle Fullscreen action
- added more small font sizes
- fixed big font size limit

Mastiff
01-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi! I have just started using Cool Reader (after a tip from Dopedangel), and I really like it. But there is one problem: I use it to read proof on my work (I'm a movie/television subtitler), and some of the lines are Italics. For instance when somebody's speaking through the phone or there's a voice over (think "Mike Hammer": "I knew there was something wrong with the chick, but with legs like that...") It seems that Italics are converted into standard non-italics in the reader.

Until now I have been using the Nook Color's internal reader, and that does not change the italics. But it does not support the new font I have found either. This weekend I started using a TTF font called DPCustomMono2 when I discovered that it actually makes it easier to spot mistakes because it's harder to read. I don't know the psychology behind it, but a recent study has found that proof reading with normal fonts on an eReader is too light on the eyes, which makes it easier for errors to sneek by.

I know it's not because of the TTF I'm using, because with Trebuchet (which is built in and gives me italics in the built-in Barnes & Noble reader) I still don't get italics in Cool Reader.

So if it was possible to leave italics untouched the Cool Reader would be perfect for me! Any chance of that? Or is that perhaps already possible with some setting I haven't found yet? Thanks in advance! (Yeah, I'm an optimistic bugger...)

Buggins
01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi! I have just started using Cool Reader (after a tip from Dopedangel), and I really like it. But there is one problem: I use it to read proof on my work (I'm a movie/television subtitler), and some of the lines are Italics. For instance when somebody's speaking through the phone or there's a voice over (think "Mike Hammer": "I knew there was something wrong with the chick, but with legs like that...") It seems that Italics are converted into standard non-italics in the reader.

Until now I have been using the Nook Color's internal reader, and that does not change the italics. But it does not support the new font I have found either. This weekend I started using a TTF font called DPCustomMono2 when I discovered that it actually makes it easier to spot mistakes because it's harder to read. I don't know the psychology behind it, but a recent study has found that proof reading with normal fonts on an eReader is too light on the eyes, which makes it easier for errors to sneek by.

I know it's not because of the TTF I'm using, because with Trebuchet (which is built in and gives me italics in the built-in Barnes & Noble reader) I still don't get italics in Cool Reader.

So if it was possible to leave italics untouched the Cool Reader would be perfect for me! Any chance of that? Or is that perhaps already possible with some setting I haven't found yet? Thanks in advance! (Yeah, I'm an optimistic bugger...)

There are two possible reasons of missing italics:
1) Bug in CSS processing -- fixed in cr3.0.41-3 build I've uploaded today
2) Missing italic file for font (e.g. missing trebucit.ttf) -- can be fixed by putting additional font files to SD card (e.g. to SD/fonts)

Mastiff
01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks a lot for answering so fast! :) I tried to start by downloading the new version, but suddenly the letters are so small I can't read. And choosing 60 point doesn't help either. I tried to reboot, but that didn't help. Has a error in some of the font handling possibly crept in? Sorry if the question is dumb, I couldn't code myself out of a brown paper bag! ;)

If you would be so kind, the font I use is here:
http://www.pgdp.net/c/faq/font_sample.php

Dave_S
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Has a error in some of the font handling possibly crept in?

Today's CoolReader 3 download from The Market works OK on my HTC Desire.

the font I use is here:
http://www.pgdp.net/c/faq/font_sample.php

FWIW, when I followed your link the only font offered for download was DPCustomMono2.ttf, which is just a single base font. There was no italic or bold versions of the font offered for download. Without an italic version of the font I do not think there is a way for CR3 to display italics?

Mastiff
01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
OK, thanks for checking. Weird stuff, since Word can show italics in that font without any problems. Is that becuse there are differences between how Android draws fonts and how Windows does it? I know naathing about this. (Think Manuel in "Fawlty Towers").

Dave_S
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
OK, thanks for checking. Weird stuff, since Word can show italics in that font without any problems. Is that becuse there are differences between how Android draws fonts and how Windows does it? I know naathing about this. (Think Manuel in "Fawlty Towers").

I am no font expert either, but from just what you are saying it is apparently possible for a word processor to italicize a font that has no italic set installed.

Mastiff
01-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Understood. Then I'll have to solve this in another way. But I still have the problem with very small letters, also with other fonts, with this new version. I have not changed anything in the menus, I only upgraded.

sapphiresilver
01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
It now seems to read the CSS in my books. Yay, now I don't have to use Aldiko. This is great.

Carl314
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Reading the css within an epub is a very welcome addition. A few issues:

1. It does not appear to support bold as a css class.
2. Likewise, when I use css to define the indent to 0, it still puts an indent in there.
3. Does Cool Reader support lines (<hr />) and boxes? If not, any plans to?

Cheers, Carl.

Buggins
01-18-2011, 03:14 AM
New version 3.0.41-5 uploaded to Market and SourceForge

Reading the css within an epub is a very welcome addition. A few issues:

1. It does not appear to support bold as a css class.
2. Likewise, when I use css to define the indent to 0, it still puts an indent in there.
3. Does Cool Reader support lines (<hr />) and boxes? If not, any plans to?

Cheers, Carl.

It should support all features described above. If not, it's a bug.
Could you send me example with wrong formatting?

Buggins
01-18-2011, 03:17 AM

It's necessary to implement italicise transform feature for CoolReader font engine in order to allow showing italics w/o italic font file.
It would take several days, so this feature is postponed.

Mastiff
01-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Buggins, I would love it if it's possible to do. :) I'm not in a hurry. But I can not get back the normal size fonts on my NC. I have gone up to font size 56 but it's too small to read. :(

Buggins
01-18-2011, 04:13 AM
Buggins, I would love it if it's possible to do. :) I'm not in a hurry. But I can not get back the normal size fonts on my NC. I have gone up to font size 56 but it's too small to read. :(

Are you talking about bit font size limit (50)? It's fixed in one of latest builds.
At least size 72 is working. Is it too small?

Mastiff
01-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Nope, that's not it. On the previous version my Nook Color (technically my son's NC, I'm waiting for my Adam) had a font size of 26 that was pretty good. But now I can't get the font any bigger no matter what I do. 22 and 72 are the same, and they are far to small to read. Maybe 1/5 of what 26 used to be. Changing font doesn't do anything about the size either.

Buggins
01-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Nope, that's not it. On the previous version my Nook Color (technically my son's NC, I'm waiting for my Adam) had a font size of 26 that was pretty good. But now I can't get the font any bigger no matter what I do. 22 and 72 are the same, and they are far to small to read. Maybe 1/5 of what 26 used to be. Changing font doesn't do anything about the size either.

Very strange.
Doesn't clean reinstall help?
If not, could you send me logs after font size change attempt?

Mastiff
01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I must admit (with a hint of blushing...) that I have no idea how to do a clean install on Android. I have been using computers since DOS 2, but Android is sort of a new beast to me. I tried to find the previous version APK file to revert, but couldn't. I now tried to use a program that's on the rooted NC setup, Uninstaller, and then getting Cool Reader from Market. Is that a clean reinstall? It seems like it because I was back to the standard settings on everything. But still it's unreadable. I tried to change to 72 points, but that didn't change anthing.

And of course I will send you the logs. Where in the Android system are they?

jhempel24
01-18-2011, 07:45 AM
If I could only combine your reader with the style of Aldiko that would be awesome!

fdis101
01-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Buggins, the new version 3.0.41-3 doesn't seem to remember my last position. It always return to the previous page (e.g if I left at page 10, the next time I start CR it open page 9 instead).

I am using Cool Reader on my Archos 101 in landscape mode with 2 pages. Hope you can fix this soon.

Cheers!

fdis101
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Buggins, the new version 3.0.41-3 doesn't seem to remember my last position. It always return to the previous page (e.g if I left at page 10, the next time I start CR it open page 9 instead).

I am using Cool Reader on my Archos 101 in landscape mode with 2 pages. Hope you can fix this soon.

Cheers!

Nevermind. Didn't realize there is a new version. It seems to be working now in version 3.0.41-5.

By the way, any chance of a Swedish hyphenation support? :)

Buggins
01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I must admit (with a hint of blushing...) that I have no idea how to do a clean install on Android. I have been using computers since DOS 2, but Android is sort of a new beast to me. I tried to find the previous version APK file to revert, but couldn't. I now tried to use a program that's on the rooted NC setup, Uninstaller, and then getting Cool Reader from Market. Is that a clean reinstall? It seems like it because I was back to the standard settings on everything. But still it's unreadable. I tried to change to 72 points, but that didn't change anthing.

And of course I will send you the logs. Where in the Android system are they?

Uninstall, then install from market acts as clean reinstall.

Logs can be captured by application Android System Info and saved to file:
http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-electricsheep-asi-xqFA.aspx

Mastiff
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
OK, I managed to get the log. There's a lot of stuff, but I did do the stuff with Cool Reader just before I saved the logs, so I think it's at the top. Is there anything in it that could hurt my privacy? I tried to PM you the log, but it was too long, and it wasn't possible to do attachments on PM's it seems. If you PM me your mail address I'll mail it to you.

SCION
01-18-2011, 10:50 AM
OK, I managed to get the log. There's a lot of stuff, but I did do the stuff with Cool Reader just before I saved the logs, so I think it's at the top. Is there anything in it that could hurt my privacy? I tried to PM you the log, but it was too long, and it wasn't possible to do attachments on PM's it seems. If you PM me your mail address I'll mail it to you.

If you have a DropBox account you can save the file in a public folder and provide the URL to the person.

Mastiff
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't even have a Facebook account... The only thing I have on the web are forum accounts and E-mail accounts. But you gave me an idea, thanks! I'll use Sprend. That works without an account. :)

Buggins
01-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Nevermind. Didn't realize there is a new version. It seems to be working now in version 3.0.41-5.

By the way, any chance of a Swedish hyphenation support? :)

Hopefully, there is a chance :xmas:

Try cr3.0.41-6 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.41/

I've added Swedish and Polish dictionaries.

fdis101
01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Hopefully, there is a chance :xmas:

Try cr3.0.41-6 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.41/

I've added Swedish and Polish dictionaries.

Thanks! It's working great! :)

Now all that I'm missing is a bookshelf made of wood imitation. That would make Cool Reader perfect.

steven522
01-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm not sold on the bookshelf look. It might appeal to someone showing off their reader to others, but when it comes down to actually reading on the thing, I prefer a standard file browser and keeping my ebooks divided into my own folders.

Dave_S
01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm not sold on the bookshelf look. It might appeal to someone showing off their reader to others, but when it comes down to actually reading on the thing, I prefer a standard file browser and keeping my ebooks divided into my own folders.

Agree 100% with your opinion! That superfluous interface and lack of decent folder support is one of the reasons I dropped Aldiko some time ago. One other reason is Aldiko's extremely weak format support. Both of these reasons make CoolReader 3 a much better choice for me.

Mastiff
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I have to agree to (even though I'm very new with Cool Reader). The "bookshelf" type of picking books and even a library centric format is useless for me. I change what I read every day, 3-4 new proofs to read and yesterday's are deleted.

Buggins
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't like wooden bookshelves, too.
But author / series / title grouping and search - could be useful.

fdis101
01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Not a big fan of bookshelfs I see. Then how about an option to change the background of the file browser? (I'm not a big fan of black and white).

I see that CR3 does support cover images in the file browser. But none of my epub-files is showing any cover images (the images is showing fine in Aldiko on my phone). What am I doing wrong?

Either way CR3 is still great with or without a bookshelf.

PS. In settings, I think "Hilight tap zone on tap" should be "Highlight tap zone on tap".

Carl314
01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
New version 3.0.41-5 uploaded to Market and SourceForge

It should support all features described above. If not, it's a bug.
Could you send me example with wrong formatting?

Buggins - here's the link to a sample small e-book where bold, hr, center etc, css features don't appear to work (and they do on Aldiko, Adobe Digital Editions, and caliber e-book viewer): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349902/Test-small.epub

Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers, Carl.

twowheels
01-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Wow... if I hadn't started to do almost all of my reading on my Kindle this looks like it would have replaced Aldiko, especially after the recent Aldiko update. Nice work!

Dopedangel
01-19-2011, 08:54 AM
I think coolreader needs a better way to set css override settings. Editing and putting epub.css file is understandable in eink readers but on android devices would it not be better if we can modify indent heading font size or style etc from inside coolreader.

Valkrider
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I have just installed the latest version on my Chinese tablet. On first look I prefer it to Aldiko.

There is just one thing that I don't like. All my books are in ePub format and the thing I liked about Aldiko was the way that it respected Chapters and always started those on a new page. With CR3 it just dumps the chapter in the middle of a page. Is there anyway to sort this with CSS or is it more complex than that?

Dave_S
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
There is just one thing that I don't like. All my books are in ePub format and the thing I liked about Aldiko was the way that it respected Chapters and always started those on a new page. With CR3 it just dumps the chapter in the middle of a page. Is there anyway to sort this with CSS or is it more complex than that?

CoolReader also starts a new chapter on a new page, with the chapter title centered and bold, with the EPUBs that I have. So it is certainly no more complex than just having the correct formatting instructions in the CSS. I have page-break-before: always in my CSS for titles, so a page break always occurs just before a chapter title.

title, h1, h2 { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; font-weight: bold; page-break-before: always; page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid; }

Just in case it matters, I use my own EPUB.CSS located on the SD card in the \.cr3 folder.

hiaig
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
cr3-0-41-06

Issue:

The Table of Contents works on some books and not others?

In one book, I got page 1 on the right hand side for each and every chapter. The TofC for this book works fine on Aldiko and Moon+ Reader.

Cheers

Valkrider
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
CoolReader also starts a new chapter on a new page, with the chapter title centered and bold, with the EPUBs that I have. So it is certainly no more complex than just having the correct formatting instructions in the CSS. I have page-break-before: always in my CSS for titles, so a page break always occurs just before a chapter title.

title, h1, h2 { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; font-weight: bold; page-break-before: always; page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid; }

Just in case it matters, I use my own EPUB.CSS located on the SD card in the \.cr3 folder.

Thanks for that. I have just added it to my CSS without success :blink: so it looks like I will just have to live with it.

Dave_S
01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for that. I have just added it to my CSS without success :blink: so it looks like I will just have to live with it.

Are you sure that your chapter titles are actually labeled correctly as titles inside your EPUB file? If your EPUBs were created by Calibre they may actually have some Calibre specific labels that could be different. In that case, the CSS code that I posted would do nothing at all.

Valkrider
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Dave_S, I think that must me the problem. Aldiko reads them perfectly but CR3 won't. I need to have a look and see if I can find out what Calibre calls the chapter tags

steven522
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Buggins,

The formatting of the TXT files is very good. What specifically are you looking for to determine the chapter breaks, etc., and do you have anything in place to force a separate "title page" with the book name and author before the chapters begin?

I would like to know as I usually convert my various sources to TXT prior to reading and any tricks you may have in place for formatting would be good to know.

Thanks.

Buggins
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Buggins,

The formatting of the TXT files is very good. What specifically are you looking for to determine the chapter breaks, etc., and do you have anything in place to force a separate "title page" with the book name and author before the chapters begin?

I would like to know as I usually convert my various sources to TXT prior to reading and any tricks you may have in place for formatting would be good to know.

Thanks.

There are several TXT formatting styles recognized by Cool Reader.
A few examples:
1) Preformatted text. Paragraphs are delimited by empty line or by first line indent. Headings are centered.
2) One paragrph per line. Headings delimited with empty lines.
3) Paragraphs delimited by empty line. Headings delimited by doble empty lines.

Buggins
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
cr3-0-41-06

Issue:

The Table of Contents works on some books and not others?

In one book, I got page 1 on the right hand side for each and every chapter. The TofC for this book works fine on Aldiko and Moon+ Reader.

Cheers

Could you send me such book for testing?

hiaig
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Could you send me such book for testing?

Sure. Where do I send it?

Cheers

Buggins
01-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Sure. Where do I send it?

Cheers

I've sent you my email in private message.

BTW, new version is uploaded to Market and SF.

Mastiff
01-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Buggins, Market alerted me to the update, and this version works without the strange, miniature writing that I had. I have no idea what's happened, I simply opened a proof job and the font was where it should be at. So thanks! :)

Buggins
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
New version uploaded.
ColorDict and Fora Dictionary support added.

hiaig
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Buggins, any thoughts to making it easier to increase/decrease font size? I do like the moon+ reader's option to increase/decrease font size by flicking right edge.

As someone who is at an age where reading with my glasses on and off requires adjustments of font size, this would be a great function to have. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Buggins
01-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Hi Buggins, any thoughts to making it easier to increase/decrease font size? I do like the moon+ reader's option to increase/decrease font size by flicking right edge.

As someone who is at an age where reading with my glasses on and off requires adjustments of font size, this would be a great function to have. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Changing of font size requires full book reformatting on CoolReader.
Accidental flicking what causing 3-10 seconds of reformattign could be annoying.
But assignment of zoom in/out function to key or tap action is easy to implement.
Would it be enough?

Nexutix
01-21-2011, 04:28 AM
I came to this thread, read some bits, downloaded Coolreader, FBreader and Aldiko. Opened books in all of them. Tasted them.

Cool reader was cooler than Icecream and has all features any book reader would "LOVE" to have! It's the best reader! I have permanently switched to CoolReader. Can't be more satisfied. :thumbsup:

hiaig
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Changing of font size requires full book reformatting on CoolReader.
Accidental flicking what causing 3-10 seconds of reformattign could be annoying.
But assignment of zoom in/out function to key or tap action is easy to implement.
Would it be enough?

That would be perfect :thumbsup:

macr0t0r
01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
So, I decided to try this out again to compare against FBReader and Aldiko again. New comments!

1: You added dictionary support for ColorDict! This was another excellent feature of FBReader that was lacking. Thanks!

2: Being able to assign touch actions to the 3x3 grid is simply genius. I'm hooked on it.

3: Page breaks seem to be working much better now. I still have the occasional book that doesn't have a page-break before the chapter, but I'm sure that's just a CSS issue that I'll have to look into. Overall, I'm quite happy with the formatting.

3: Footnote/Endnote/Links: We're almost there. Links still ignore anchors, so they always go to the beginning of the html file. Most authors create a page per endnote, so in most cases it's okay. I have to use the "Back" function since the "return" link will always take me to either the beginning of the chapter or the beginning of the book. On a happier note, I really like that you follow links with a long-press. Aldiko and FBReader are frustrating if the link is on the margin, as it'll usually turn the page instead of follow the link. It's a toss-up between the two.

Really, the only remaining issue for me is following inline links. Get that fixed, and I'll happily switch and grab me a bronze or silver edition! A couple references here on inline footnotes/endnotes:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85997
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61913
http://www.epubbooks.com/blog/183/creating-an-epub-document

Thanks!

- Jim

Nexutix
01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Buggins, you have a PM.:bulb2:

I think you didn't notice. :chinscratch:

hama
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi I have a Galaxy Tab, but have i understand this right.

Coolreader canīt be used for Pdf files,

I borrow free books from the Library - now I use Aldiko, but canīt change the size of the letters.

Nexutix
01-22-2011, 12:58 PM

I borrow free books from the Library - now I use Aldiko, but canīt change the size of the letters.

For PDFs; you better go with dedicated PDF readers like ezPDF. :chinscratch:

fjtorres
01-22-2011, 01:59 PM

For PDfs, try Repligo or Adobe Reader.
For Library ebooks, try Overdrive Media Console:
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/
For most everything else CoolReader is worth considering.

Tess89
01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I have hundreds of ttf files stored in the fonts folder on my SD card. Unfortunately it's causing the app to crash as soon as it opens. Is there a fix for this? Sorry if its been mentioned before.

Update: Nevermind. I just deleted a hundred or so and now it's back to normal.

Buggins
01-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Buggins, you have a PM.:bulb2:

I think you didn't notice. :chinscratch:

Sent reply.

Carl314
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Buggins - in case it got lost in the thread, I also posted a link to a small epub file with various css classes (bold, indent=0, lines) which don't work with CR: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1344984&postcount=95

Specifically, if you go to the "other" section of the font test, you'll see the various css bolds which don't work, and then the "lines & boxes" as well.

Thanks, Carl.

Buggins
01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Buggins - in case it got lost in the thread, I also posted a link to a small epub file with various css classes (bold, indent=0, lines) which don't work with CR: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1344984&postcount=95

Specifically, if you go to the "other" section of the font test, you'll see the various css bolds which don't work, and then the "lines & boxes" as well.

Thanks, Carl.

Thank you! I've already downloaded yet, but not yet analyzed root cause of wrong formatting.

Buggins
01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
New version is available on Market and SourceForge.

- image scaling reworked (now arbitrary scaling is used, instead of by integer number of times)
- text selection word alignment fixed for Chineese/Japaneese text
- floating punctuation option (visual alignment of right text edge for justified text - when turned on, punctuation marks are placed outside right text bound)
- font kerning option
- font size zoom in / zoom out actions added (for assignment on key or tap zone)
- toggle document styles action added (useful for documents with bad internal css)
- new icon

Buggins
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
That would be perfect :thumbsup:

Zoom actions are implemented in latest version.

hama
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM
For PDFs; you better go with dedicated PDF readers like ezPDF. :chinscratch:
At the moment I can not see that it can be used for galaxy-but I'll try to investigate this further

For PDfs, try Repligo or Adobe Reader.
For Library ebooks, try Overdrive Media Console:
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/
For most everything else CoolReader is worth considering.

OMC write that they donīt support Pdf to Galaxy tab

hiaig
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
OMC write that they donīt support Pdf to Galaxy tab

Try Aldiko v.2. It has a rudimentary pdf reader and will read DRM.

Cheers

hiaig
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Zoom actions are implemented in latest version.

RockdaMan
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Buggins, great app but the ePub version of the this (http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/22-MissionofHonorCD/MissionofHonorCD/Mission%20of%20Honor/index.htm) book will not show the table of contents.

Frustrating. Other ereader software does show it. I also have another book that does the same, I'd be happy to forward you a copy of it if you need it. Thanks.

Buggins
01-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Buggins, great app but the ePub version of the this (http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/22-MissionofHonorCD/MissionofHonorCD/Mission%20of%20Honor/index.htm) book will not show the table of contents.

Frustrating. Other ereader software does show it. I also have another book that does the same, I'd be happy to forward you a copy of it if you need it. Thanks.

Thank you for bugreport!
Fixed today in 3.0.42-5

hama
01-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Try Aldiko v.2. It has a rudimentary pdf reader and will read DRM.
Cheers

---cut ---

Thank you so much, but I do, as you see, I canīt change the size of the letters
- I miss some Features in the menu as "daylight" and "Text" ( they show this on the pic from the program)
I have this features when the book have other file formats.

Really hope someone can help.

I have written to their support but have not received any answer back

RockdaMan
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you for bugreport!
Fixed today in 3.0.42-5

Where can I download it from?

Sourceforge?

hiaig
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Where can I download it from?

Sourceforge?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.42/

or Android Market.

Cheers

hiaig
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Buggins, another request ... any chance of adding left justification as an option?

Cheers

RockdaMan
01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.42/

or Android Market.

Cheers

No access to the market.

I think I would prefer cr3-0-42-06.apk :)

fjtorres
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Thank you so much, but I do, as you see, I canīt change the size of the letters.

What format file? PDF? ePub.
PDFs, as a rule, don't allow font-size changes. Instead, PDF viewers offer zoom factors that magnify the pagy.
*Some* pdfs allow you to ignore everything but text and "reflow" it on a page by page basis.
PDf is an electronic paper format, not an ebook format like ePub, so there is a limit to what you do with it.

wayrad
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I really like this reader! But the font formatting seems very erratic. For example, I have it set to Droid Serif, but in the current book I'm reading (the latest Liz Williams, purchased from Smashwords), only the preface is serif and the rest is nonserif - unless I check "embolden font". I have to increase font size to 28 or 30 to make the main body of the book readable, and then the prefatory material font is huge. Furthermore, almost every time I open the book the text is enormous and stretched out horizontally, then it (slowly) reformats and goes back to the small nonserif font. I have other books from Smashwords that are OK.

Line spacing varies wildly from one book to the next, also.

I have a feeling all this may be css related, but I can't find a setting for it to ignore css formatting in the document, like some readers have. Any thoughts?

PS. Oh, and the English hyphenation dictionary...isn't.

hama
01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
What format file? PDF? ePub.
PDFs, as a rule, don't allow font-size changes. Instead, PDF viewers offer zoom factors that magnify the pagy.
*Some* pdfs allow you to ignore everything but text and "reflow" it on a page by page basis.
PDf is an electronic paper format, not an ebook format like ePub, so there is a limit to what you do with it.
Thank you.
Yes, Pdf filer - unfortunately the only option I have to borrow free books from the library (DRM.)
I use Aldiko 2.0 on my Galaxy Tab.

Dave_S
01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a feeling all this may be css related, but I can't find a setting for it to ignore css formatting in the document, like some readers have. Any thoughts?

You can do what I do to get uniform styles for different books.

External styles, CSS
For fine tuning of styles, you can change Cascading Style Sheet definition for format. CSS files for different formats (fb2.css, epub.css, htm.css, rtf.css, txt.css, chm.css) can be placed to /.cr3/ directory of SD card. In this case they override internal style in package. As a base, styles from GIT repository of CoolReader (crengine) SourceForge project can be used.

Buggins
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I really like this reader! But the font formatting seems very erratic. For example, I have it set to Droid Serif, but in the current book I'm reading (the latest Liz Williams, purchased from Smashwords), only the preface is serif and the rest is nonserif - unless I check "embolden font". I have to increase font size to 28 or 30 to make the main body of the book readable, and then the prefatory material font is huge. Furthermore, almost every time I open the book the text is enormous and stretched out horizontally, then it (slowly) reformats and goes back to the small nonserif font. I have other books from Smashwords that are OK.

Line spacing varies wildly from one book to the next, also.

PS. Oh, and the English hyphenation dictionary...isn't.

Most likely, all described styles are defined in document's internal CSS.
Since cr3.0.42-6, there is and action for turning document styles on/off.
It's available for assignment on key or tap zone.

This will work good if document is in docbook format (uses separate element for different document part types).
Unfortunately, a lot of epubs use simple html, and only div and span with class. E.g. bold and italic use the same span element, but different class. These classes are described inside document's internal .css. Turning internal stylesheet off would turn document nearly into plain text.
But if your books are from the same source and similarly formatted (have the same internal stylesheet), you can append these styles to standard CoolReader's epub.css, and them modify wrong styles.

E.g. I've seend ebook with paragraph style margin-bottom: 6.25em;
This causes very big space between paragraphs.

wayrad
01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Most likely, all described styles are defined in document's internal CSS.
Since cr3.0.42-6, there is and action for turning document styles on/off.
It's available for assignment on key or tap zone. Thanks, I found it. I got a "reformatting" message when I toggled it, but nothing changed in the book.
But if your books are from the same source and similarly formatted (have the same internal stylesheet), you can append these styles to standard CoolReader's epub.css, and them modify wrong styles.Unfortunately I buy books from a number of different sources, so it might be easier to just read them with an app that formats them all the same way, especially since I have a poor (as in, nonexistent) understanding of CSS. I'll continue watching Coolreader closely though! :)

wayrad
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
You can do what I do to get uniform styles for different books.Thanks for the pointers - right now it's Greek to me, I'm afraid; learning something about CSS is one of those things I should probably do, but have always managed to avoid. :o

macr0t0r
01-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Link anchors work! I finally have full footnotes/endnotes navigation! Well, that was the last of my requirements. As promised, I just got the silver donation. Thanks for making my ol' Archos 5 a much more enjoyable eReader!

- Jim

Buggins
01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
New version uploaded to SourceForge

- fixed crash scenario
- fixes in CSS processing
- new option for selection action
- options to disable hiding of directories w/o books (speeds up program start and browser navigation by disabling directory scanning in depth)
- text selection menu item moved to first page of menu, instead of Search
- document internal styles toggle action added to menu
- page image rescale disabled during orientation.window size change
- icons on options items removed
- "About Cool Reader" dialog is added (shows version, support email, project homepage link, list of third party components used, GPL license text).

vja4Him
01-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Cool Reader 3 Android port is available on Market (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.org-coolreader-qCtqn.aspx)

CoolReader is free, cross platform, open source (GPL2) e-book viewer.

Supported formats

FB2 - full support, including images, styles, footnotes, tables
TXT, TCR - automatic reformatting of paragraphs, with heading detection
HTML - partial support, but includes css styles, tables, lists, etc.
EPUB - supported styles, images, tables, TOC. Not supported: SVG, embedded fonts, MathML
RTF - limited support, no images, styles supported partially
CHM - limited support

Features

View as paper book pages or scroll
One or two pages in landscape mode
Internal file browser to open books
Configurable font face, size, style, interline space, text color, background (solid color, tiled or stretched image)
External fonts, background images, CSS styles
Book coverpages in file browser
Supports install on SD (Android 2.2+)
Customizable tap zone actions
Customizable key actions (including volume keys)
Can lock sensor screen and trackball
Can set custom display backlight brightness

Project page on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/)
Manual Wiki (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crengine/index.php?title=CR3_android_user_guide)
Russian forum (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=191747)

Please post your objections and feature requests under this topic.

I couldn't find Cool Reader 3 on Market ....

Dave_S
01-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I couldn't find Cool Reader 3 on Market ....

I just checked the Market and it is there. Using the Market app on your Android phone use the search term "Cool Reader", without the quotes. If you are having a problem with the Market, you can also find the install APK using the SourceForge link that Buggins provided.

wodin
01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
How can I tell which version I have?

Dave_S
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
How can I tell which version I have?

Android's Application Manager will tell you the version number of any installed application. You get to the Application Manager via the Settings Icon.

Buggins
01-30-2011, 09:16 AM
New versions for Android, Win32 and Linux uploaded to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.43/)

Android version 3.0.43-1 contains initial version of selection bookmarks (comments or corrections). Useful for proofreading. E.g. You can select text, and save bookmark with initial and corrected text. Or you can select text ans save bookmark, with optional comment.
In this version, onl adding of bookmarks is supported. Bookmark list, and highlight in text is coming soon (tonight?)
Bookmark list export will be implemented soon, too.

Nexutix
01-30-2011, 09:23 AM
New versions for Android, Win32 and Linux uploaded to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.43/)

The version for Windows is literally cool and clean. Faster book opening than even the calibre's one. Future version with two columns will look so good.
:thanks:

trocchietto
01-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Some of the features they had in addition to the current Cool Reader features were:

- export notes

these are key functions from my point of view.

Buggins
01-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by SlowRain

these are key functions from my point of view.

Offline dictionaries are already supported.
ColorDict and Fora Dictionary.

steven522
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
New versions for Android, Win32 and Linux uploaded to SourceForge

Unable to download the APK from sourceforge. It gets around 200K and bails out. Tried from android and from a WinXP machine.

Dave_S
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Unable to download the APK from sourceforge. It gets around 200K and bails out. Tried from android and from a WinXP machine.

SourceForge seems to be having some problems. I had the same problem and finally tried using Free Download Manager to get the APK. FDM has the capability to resume aborted downloads. I saw a bunch of messages in FDM about server disconnects when downloading the APK, but FDM was able to get it successfully by resuming after each server disconnect.

Buggins
01-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Some problems on SourceForge file hosting.

mirror:
cr3-0-43-01.apk (1.7 МБ) (http://files.mail.ru/D3SPFA)
cr3-qt-win32-3.0.43.zip (5.5 МБ) (http://files.mail.ru/SH8VLB)

New feature in Win32 version: background images like in Android version

ivanjt
01-31-2011, 07:19 AM
SourceForge was hacked last week so I assume the problems are caused by that and their trying to clean things up.

Buggins
01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Version 3.0.43-4 is available on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.43/).

Advanced bookmarks are implemented.
Very useful for proofreading.

To add selection bookmark:
- select text range
- press add bookmark button on selection toolbar
Create bookmark dialog appears.
- select type of bookmark (comment or correction)
- for comment you may enter comment text
- for correction, edit text
- press Ok to save bookmark

List of bookmarks can be opened using menu/bookmarks.
Short press on bookmark - go to bookmark.
Long press - context menu: add / edit / goto / delete / export

Export function saves comment and correction bookmarks to text file, to the same directory original book is located in, with the name of original book, appended with ".bmk.txt"

Export file format is human readable and easy to understand.

ssarmazi
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Buggins,

I installed CoolReader on my black Pandigital Novel (running Android 1.5) and while the app opens books (epub format) and I can flip pages back-and-forth, quite often the app crashes when I click on 'Options' or 'Go To' or 'Bookmarks'. Every 5 or 6 times, I can actually get to the right screen ('Go To', for example, shows me 'Go to page #' or 'Go to position %'), but most often, it just crashes.

Is there a version that you can recommend which will run in v1.5? (I'm not sure what version I've installed - I downloaded from SourceForge a couple of weeks ago, but I can't seem to find a the version # within the app and I've deleted the original apk file.)

Thanks,

Buggins
02-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Hi Buggins,

I installed CoolReader on my black Pandigital Novel (running Android 1.5) and while the app opens books (epub format) and I can flip pages back-and-forth, quite often the app crashes when I click on 'Options' or 'Go To' or 'Bookmarks'. Every 5 or 6 times, I can actually get to the right screen ('Go To', for example, shows me 'Go to page #' or 'Go to position %'), but most often, it just crashes.

Is there a version that you can recommend which will run in v1.5? (I'm not sure what version I've installed - I downloaded from SourceForge a couple of weeks ago, but I can't seem to find a the version # within the app and I've deleted the original apk file.)

Thanks,

Most likely, it's known OutOfMemory error, occured when trying to allocate surface bitmap buffer for dialogs. It's reproduced on some devices (not only Android 1.5). It's occurs if where is SurfaceView widged present in activity window. This buffer is shared among applications, and it's size is limited (8Mb usually.

Only first versions of CoolReader (w/o page flipping animation) don't use SurfaceView, and hence don't have such bug.
I'm working on fix - to get dialogs working w/o window surface buffer, but not successful for now.

Buggins
02-01-2011, 04:44 AM
3.0.43-4 is uploaded to Market

ssarmazi
02-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Most likely, it's known OutOfMemory error, occured when trying to allocate surface bitmap buffer for dialogs. It's reproduced on some devices (not only Android 1.5). It's occurs if where is SurfaceView widged present in activity window. This buffer is shared among applications, and it's size is limited (8Mb usually.

Only first versions of CoolReader (w/o page flipping animation) don't use SurfaceView, and hence don't have such bug.
I'm working on fix - to get dialogs working w/o window surface buffer, but not successful for now.

Thanks for the update. I'll keep watching your posts for new versions.

eksor
02-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Hi:

Thanks for this great reader app. Please, could you tell me how to add ofline dict(s). I have already installed colordict and 4 dictionaries, all runnig correctly. How can I lookup a word from coolreader?

Regards.

PD: Sorry if this topic is covered yet, I've searched the forum and could not find the answer to my question.

Nexutix
02-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi:

Thanks for this great reader app. Please, could you tell me how to add ofline dict(s). I have already installed colordict and 4 dictionaries, all runnig correctly. How can I lookup a word from coolreader?

Regards.

PD: Sorry if this topic is covered yet, I've searched the forum and could not find the answer to my question.

I hope you have enabled the setting to select text on double tap. (Defaultly, it is enabled.) So, just double tap the word. Three small buttons appear at bottom of screen. Click on "abc". It will open colordict with the word.

P.S. Default dictionary setting seems to be Fora dictionary. You have to change it to colordict.

Dave_S
02-03-2011, 06:48 AM
I have already installed colordict and 4 dictionaries, all runnig correctly. How can I lookup a word from coolreader?

In CoolReader's Options configurations select the dictionary that you have installed. Then whenever you select a word with a double tap in CoolReader a dialog will pop asking what you want to do with it. Select the a-z icon and your preselected dictionary will open with the word definition. You can also configure CoolReader to go directly to the dictionary instead of bringing up the dialog.

eksor
02-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi:

Regards.

Thanks patilsaurabhr and Dave_S, I'm dreathfully sorry, it was my fault, I was using an outdated version, after installing the current version everything was ok and worked as you said.

A tip with Fora, if you can't install fora dictionary package (out of memory issue), add dictionaries to colordict and then import them to Fora. Every thing went smooth for me.

Regards

RockdaMan
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure it's called (full justification?) but I don't like words being split by a hyphen and finished on the next line or the next page. Any settings to stop it from doing that?

steven522
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I've not noticed this in any of my books under cool reader. Could this be a word split set in the original ebook?

Dave_S
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure it's called (full justification?) but I don't like words being split by a hyphen and finished on the next line or the next page. Any settings to stop it from doing that?

If the hyphen was not hard coded into the book then just set CoolReader's hyphenation dictionary to NONE instead of whatever you have it set to now. With it set to NONE the only hyphens that you should see are ones that are actually in the book file. The drawback is that with full justification there may sometimes be rather large spaces between words to reach both the left and right margins.

RockdaMan
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks!

kamerunka
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
hello,
I like coolreader it is a great application, but i have a problem after today's update.
I am using archos 70 for reading and it does not have hardware buttons for back, menu, home and search, it has software ones instead.
after today's update the buttons are not visible, they are covered by the reader which although it provides more space is inconvinient. can you please revert to the previous functionality or better make it an option.

thank you

SCION
02-03-2011, 01:41 PM
If the hyphen was not hard coded into the book then just set CoolReader's hyphenation dictionary to NONE instead of whatever you have it set to now. With it set to NONE the only hyphens that you should see are ones that are actually in the book file. The drawback is that with full justification there may sometimes be rather large spaces between words to reach both the left and right margins.

Thanks, I had the same concern as RockdaMan.

RockdaMan
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
So...what is a hyphenation dictionary, anyway?

steven522
02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
can you please revert to the previous functionality or better make it an option.

It is an option. You have to turn off "full screen". The only problem is that if you open a book without turning it off, you can't get back to it.

Try uninstalling, re-installing, and then setting the option in Cool Reader before opening a book.

And I agree that it should not be "full screen" by default.

kamerunka
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
It is an option. You have to turn off "full screen".

if I turn off full screen, it shous notification bar et the top, but not soft buttons at the bottom.
And I am ok (prefer) not to have notification bar, but i need the buttons at the bottom

Buggins
02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
if I turn off full screen, it shous notification bar et the top, but not soft buttons at the bottom.
And I am ok (prefer) not to have notification bar, but i need the buttons at the bottom

Turning off Archos soft buttons (real fullscreen) has been requested by one of
Archos users.
It's turned on by changing of package permissian (hardcoded), and I don't know whether is can be turned off programmatically.

You can download newer version, 3.0.43-5 from
SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/CoolReader3/cr3-3.0.43/)

I've turned Archos fullscreen feature off.
Also, some crash scenarios fixed.

BTW, from reading mode, you can exit using menu (tap center of screen, press "more" buttin in menu, then select "exit".

From Browser mode and other dialogs - it looks like there is no way to exit program for now.

RockdaMan
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Two questions: How can I specifically increase the space between the end of one paragraph and the beginning of another one? I've got the line spacing maxed out, but I'd like to make the paragraphs stand out more, one from the other.

Dave_S
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Two questions: How can I specifically increase the space between the end of one paragraph and the beginning of another one? I've got the line spacing maxed out, but I'd like to make the paragraphs stand out more, one from the other.

Can only see one question there?:chinscratch:

Anyway, it depends on the format that you are reading. Paragraph formatting is set by the CSS in the EPUB file, unless you have disabled it. You can use your own CSS for most of the formats that CoolREader can handle. Since I like a generous amount of white space in books, I use CSS to both indent the first line of a paragraph and space it down a bit from the preceeding paragraph. Buggins told about using CSS in his User's Guide here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crengine/index.php?title=CR3_android_user_guide
I got the SourceForge samples that he provided and diddled with them until I got a display presentation that I liked.

Rocco66
02-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi,
I really like Cool Reader and I am very exited every time I see a new version coming out. But since some time, I have a problem:
I can not make my custom css in \.cr3\ recognized by Cool Reader. Every book is formatted different, due to the internal css of the books.
I read, that there is a switch to enable the external scc, but I can not find it in the versions, I tried so far. Can someone guide me through the process? Thank you so much.

regards Rocco

Dave_S
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi,
I read, that there is a switch to enable the external CSS, but I can not find it in the versions, I tried so far. Can someone guide me through the process? Thank you so much.

regards Rocco

It is easy, if you have the current version of CoolReader.

Tap MENU, then MORE, then DISABLE DOCUMENT INTERNAL STYLES.

Rocco66
02-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Ah, I found it. It is in the market version, only.

I know how to enable and disable it, but nothing happens. Every book is still using it's own css. Was there a cange in the css format or the way to store it?

I am back on 3.0.40-6. This version is working for me.

Regards
Rocco66

Dave_S
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Ah, I found it. It is in the market version, only.

I know how to enable and disable it, but nothing happens. Every book is still using it's own css. Was there a cange in the css format or the way to store it?

I am back on 3.0.40-6. This version is working for me.

Regards
Rocco66

I have been using the SourceForge CoolReader releases since they become available much sooner than The Market versions. The external CSS seems to be working just fine for me. In fact, I just tried ENABLE DOCUMENT INTERNAL STYLES for an EPUB book, and after restarting CoolReader to try the new configuration, I found that CoolReader was still using my custom external CSS in the /.cr3 directory on the SD card. Right now, I can not seem to get CoolReader to use the CSS built inside the EPUB.
If you are getting your EPUB files from multiple sources then you may have different tag names in the document than the tag names in your custom CSS. For example, Calibre seems to like to add it's own name to a lot of tags. I build my own EPUB files using FB2EPUB, so my style tags are always the same. That way, my custom external CSS always produces the results that I want. I just finished checking all this out using CR3-0-43-11.APK, and my external custom CSS seems to be working just like I want it to with both EPUB and FB2 books.

steven522
02-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Has anyone else noticed that every so often Cool reader will open with a completely black screen for the ebook? I can exit out and browse to open a second book with no problem, but it goes back to a black screen instead of displaying the ebook.

If I close and restart the Cool Reader app a couple of times it will eventually display the ebook again. It has happened on and off with different versions of Cool Reader.

This is on my Pandigital Novel running the latest 1/27/11 firmware.

Buggins
02-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Has anyone else noticed that every so often Cool reader will open with a completely black screen for the ebook? I can exit out and browse to open a second book with no problem, but it goes back to a black screen instead of displaying the ebook.

If I close and restart the Cool Reader app a couple of times it will eventually display the ebook again. It has happened on and off with different versions of Cool Reader.

This is on my Pandigital Novel running the latest 1/27/11 firmware.

Debug log from application would help to identify problem.
Could you send me log collected right after black screen? It can be saved to file using app like Android System Info.

steven522
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Could you send me log collected right after black screen? It can be saved to file using app like Android System Info.

I have the Android System Info set to install next time i access the Market. As soon as it happens again, I will let you know.

steven522
02-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Just sent log to the support email at coolreader.org email address on your site.

Buggins
02-09-2011, 03:35 AM
Just sent log to the support email at coolreader.org email address on your site.

Thank you! I'll look at it.

fjtorres
02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
I like the dual column landscape. Comes in very handy, especially for night time reading in bed. :) When switching from single column portrait to dual-column landscape I usually also have to scale down the font size. A very minor annnoyance.

If I may be bold enough to suggest a new feature: would it be possible to keep *separate* font size settings for single column and dual-column modes?

Just a thought.
Thanks for a very useful tool, Mr Buggins, sir. :)

superkevx
02-10-2011, 04:15 AM
does anyone have any details on cover art showing up in the file browser? i had books that showed up in my nook color stock but they dont show up in cool reader. these books were sideloaded from calibre.

Dave_S
02-10-2011, 04:25 AM
does anyone have any details on cover art showing up in the file browser?

CoolReader does not waste time scanning your entire collection like some readers do, just so the cover image can be extracted from the book file. Once the book has been opened one time the cover image thumbnail will always be in the file browser. For me that is a big plus, since I always hated Aldiko's unbearably long import time in searching just one folder. CoolReader makes books available in as many folders as you have books in, so pre-scanning for cover images could take even longer than Aldiko's already long scan time.

superkevx
02-10-2011, 04:30 AM
i tried that, there is extra information on books i've opened up like author and % read but no cover :(

Dave_S
02-10-2011, 04:36 AM
i tried that, there is extra information on books i've opened up like author and % read but no cover :(

Ah Ha, I just double checked that myself.:o

I mostly read FB2 books, so that was the experience I was describing. For one book, I have both an FB2 version and an EPUB version, and it appears that you are correct as far as EPUB is concerned. Perhaps Buggins has not gotten around to extracting cover images from EPUB books yet? FWIW, the cover thumbnails feature works just fine for FB2 books.

SCION
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I was looking for the epub thumbnails as well. Didn't understand why they aren't showing. Please make this feature available when feasible. Thank you.

Buggins
02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Perhaps Buggins has not gotten around to extracting cover images from EPUB books yet? FWIW, the cover thumbnails feature works just fine for FB2 books.

EPUB coverpages will be available soon

soondai
02-11-2011, 02:54 AM
steven- did you do a factory reset/data wipe when you installed your 2011 OP? I had the same issue until I went back and did that and I haven't had any problems since (I had the black screen and several lock-ups before). Perfect now.

Buggins--- cannot thank you enough. This is now far and away my favorite reader. Absolutely love all the options and controls you give us. I always read in night mode. 10 percent brightness was still too much (and 5 was not enough). But I set it at 10 and then changed the text color from white to gray and it is perfect. Definitely my default reader for all my ePubs from now on. Great work.

Rocco66
02-11-2011, 05:27 AM
I have been using the SourceForge CoolReader releases since they become available much sooner than The Market versions. The external CSS seems to be working just fine for me. In fact, I just tried ENABLE DOCUMENT INTERNAL STYLES for an EPUB book, and after restarting CoolReader to try the new configuration, I found that CoolReader was still using my custom external CSS in the /.cr3 directory on the SD card. Right now, I can not seem to get CoolReader to use the CSS built inside the EPUB.
I can not get my file recognized and you can not get it ignored. So there is a bug concerning the custom css.

If you are getting your EPUB files from multiple sources then you may have different tag names in the document than the tag names in your custom CSS. For example, Calibre seems to like to add it's own name to a lot of tags. build my own EPUB files using FB2EPUB, so my style tags are always the same. That way, my custom external CSS always produces the results that I want.
But my custom css is working for my epup in version 3.0.40-6. So the tag names should be correct.

Regards
Rocco66

Buggins
02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
New version on SF, 3.0.44-1:
- epub metadata scanning added
- epub coverpage support in browser (only for books opened at least once)
- recursive book properties scan in directory
- book search (by author, title, series, filename)

Buggins
02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I was looking for the epub thumbnails as well. Didn't understand why they aren't showing. Please make this feature available when feasible. Thank you.

Should work in 3.0.44-1
(not tested)

Buggins
02-12-2011, 09:52 AM
3.0.44-3 uploaded on Market

steven522
02-12-2011, 04:52 PM
OK. I performed a factory reset and reloaded the latest firmware (required after a factory reset I found). And I have the most recent version (3.0.44-03) installed.

If I open a book, then back out to the file list before I close (go to home screen), when going back into the Cool Reader app the screen comes up blank.
If I make sure I load a book even though I can't see it before I close (home screen) and open back up, the book appears.

The bug seems to be occurring when exiting the app from the file browser.

superkevx
02-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Should work in 3.0.44-1
(not tested)

updated through market to 3.0.44-3. epub covers not showing for me.

SCION
02-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Not showing for me as well.

Buggins
02-13-2011, 01:28 AM

There is a bug. I'll fix it ASAP.

kentsin
02-14-2011, 04:46 AM
I just install the cr3-0-43-01 found in the forum.

How can I ensure cool reader open the file in correct encoding, as all the Chinese files were either shown in as ????? or blank.

Do I need to fix the epub files? Can someone please give me some instructions.

Thanks a lot.

Buggins
02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I just install the cr3-0-43-01 found in the forum.

How can I ensure cool reader open the file in correct encoding, as all the Chinese files were either shown in as ????? or blank.

Do I need to fix the epub files? Can someone please give me some instructions.

Thanks a lot.

Select chineese font in settings.
If there is no chineese font in settings, put .ttf files with such font to /fonts directory on SD card.

Cool Reader understands only Unicode (UTF-8 or UTF-16) encoding for Chineese.

Buggins
02-22-2011, 01:56 AM
3.0.44-8 uploaded on Market
(also available on SourceForge page)

New Win32 build is available too.

Mastiff
02-22-2011, 05:13 AM
A quick question: Is it possible to block double taps all together, either with a setting in CoolReader or in another way? I like to read on my treadmill (got a holder for the tablet), but the motion or something (could that something be static electricity?) makes almost every tap on the Nook Color into a double tap.

Another question: Did you get around to implement showing italics where the book uses it, without an italics TTF font, like the built in reader in Nook Color (which for many other reasons is far from good enough)? If you did, I haven't found out how to use it.

Great work on the app, no matter what the answers are!

Jabby
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks patilsaurabhr and Dave_S, I'm dreathfully sorry, it was my fault, I was using an outdated version, after installing the current version everything was ok and worked as you said.

A tip with Fora, if you can't install fora dictionary package (out of memory issue), add dictionaries to colordict and then import them to Fora. Every thing went smooth for me.

Regards
Since you have gone through this before I was hoping you could tell me where I can get the dictionaries and where and how do I install them.

I down loaded ColorDict and installed it but I can't find dictionaries to go with it. ColorDict tried to download the data but was unable to do so. I'm not sure but I think it went to the Android Market to which I don't have access.

Any way I'm hoping you, or someone, can help me out.

Thanks and regards - John

sav.here
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks Buggins for this great ebook reader. I must appreciate the performance and simple design of cool reader which is very much focused on reading books. I am using cool reader as my primary ebook reader app in my HTC Legend for last 5 days and I am loving it.

Some feature request from me:
1. It will be great to have svg cover support for epubs
2. Option to move the title bar as per user choice (upper or lower part of the screen)
3. Always sort by last used sort order.
4. Page flip speed control. User should specify how fast they want the page slide/turn animation.

Mastiff
03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
sav.here, come to think about it, maybe even be able to have the title bar vertically, when you're holding the device in landscape mode there's always extra room on one of the sides.

sav.here
03-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Yes, Mastiff you are correct. Although I prefer to read in portrait mode, but for 2 page view in android tablets the vertical title bar might be more convenient.

Westlyn
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I've recently become the proud owner of an android phone and the first app I installed is Cool Reader. I love it.

But I have a couple of feature requests that I'd love to see in Cool Readerto make my reading experience just a fraction better.

1) A force Left-Justify mode.

I really don't like full justification and hate the word splitting that occurs with the hyphenation enabled so what I'd like is an option to disable hyphenation and full justification to force the text to be Left justified. I realise not everyone would like this but a few have already asked for it in this forum. This option would obviously override any settings in the file or external CSS. At the very least CR3 should respect left justify if that is the layout specified in the EPUB.

2) An ability to open and read .LIT files. I know I can use Calibre to convert to EPUB but I have a large collection of .LITs (as a former winmobile user) and I'm not sure I want to add them to Calibre just to convert them to epub. Plus Calibre doesn't always make pretty EPUBs from .LITs in my experience.

And the icing on the cake for me.....

3) An ability to open and read non DRM .PDB or .PRC files. Again I know I can convert to EPUB but if Cool Reader supported .LIT, .PDB/PRC, I would have all my favourite book formats covered in one reader.

Thanks if any or all of these feature requests are do-able.

ivanjt
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
To convert your rather ancient LIT format books there is clit18 a command line tool that will convert encrypted LITs as well. Also the free ABC Amber lit converter - win only - will convert to several formats.

I don't see any need to add LIT to Cool Reader because you are about the last person with unconverted files ;-)

Dopedangel
03-15-2011, 11:26 PM
I've recently become the proud owner of an android phone and the first app I installed is Cool Reader. I love it.

But I have a couple of feature requests that I'd love to see in Cool Readerto make my reading experience just a fraction better.

I really don't like full justification and hate the word splitting that occurs with the hyphenation enabled so what I'd like is an option to disable hyphenation and full justification to force the text to be Left justified. I realise not everyone would like this but a few have already asked for it in this forum. This option would obviously override any settings in the file or external CSS. At the very least CR3 should respect left justify if that is the layout specified in the EPUB.

2) An ability to open and read .LIT files. I know I can use Calibre to convert to EPUB but I have a large collection of .LITs (as a former winmobile user) and I'm not sure I want to add them to Calibre just to convert them to epub. Plus Calibre doesn't always make pretty EPUBs from .LITs in my experience.

3) An ability to open and read non DRM .PDB or .PRC files. Again I know I can convert to EPUB but if Cool Reader supported .LIT, .PDB/PRC, I would have all my favourite book formats covered in one reader.

The option is already their you just need to make a css overide file and put it in .cr3 directory in your sdcard
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cool_Reader

Westlyn
03-16-2011, 06:47 AM
The option is already their you just need to make a css overide file and put it in .cr3 directory in your sdcard
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cool_Reader

I'm afraid that I'm not a CSS guru so that really isn't much of an option for me and it's not hugely user friendly for non-technical users as a solution.

Freda Reader that I used on winmobile to read epubs has explicit options to force the type of justification.

I could be wrong but my impression is that CR3 forces full justification no matter what justification is set within the EPUB.

It would be nice to get the layout as specified in these situations rather than forced full justification. But equally even if the epub is created fully justified then I think it would be desirable to have an option to force left justification for those of us that would prefer that. Alternatively the current hyphenation dictionary for english needs significant improvement - to give an example from something I was reading last night:

the last word on a page was monitor, due to hyphenation and full justification this resulted in monit- as the last characters on one page and then the next page started 'or '. This really doesn't aid readability. With no justification/hyphenation monitor would simply have been the first complete word on the next page. The current hyphenation forced me to go back a page to reread the last line because 'or' seemed out of context.

Please don't misunderstand me I LIKE CR3 a lot but that isn't to say that it can't be improved.

Westlyn
03-16-2011, 07:13 AM
To convert your rather ancient LIT format books there is clit18 a command line tool that will convert encrypted LITs as well. Also the free ABC Amber lit converter - win only - will convert to several formats.

I don't see any need to add LIT to Cool Reader because you are about the last person with unconverted files ;-)

I have, and have used, both of these tools but ABC leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the resulting formatting and CLIT18 creates a html file that I have to further process to create my preferred epubs.

If I need to fix/reformat a lit then these are the tools I use to get an editable format and epub.

But I have a bunch of files (from Baen for eg) that are just great as they are. I know in many cases I could download the same book in a different format but this doesn't seem like a good use of time/bandwidth when I already have the book......

Calibre does a fairly good job of conversion but requires that I import my collection and then convert.

Your comment about being the last person with LIT files seems a bit confrontational to me.

Why not make the same comment about the people who have posted about wanting .pdb or .prc readers or for .imp or .rb files - they too can just convert everything they have. Simple answer is most people would prefer to get a reader that can open everything. CR3 already supports a wide range of input formats - for me personally .lit and .pdb/.prc import would give me one reading tool that can open all my collection.

I have, for historical reasons ie I used a windows mobile smartphone, a large collection of lit files, I would much prefer to find a reader that can read them without conversion than spend my time converting, reformatting etc. The same goes for my smaller collection of .pdb files. At the end of the day I want to spend time reading not playing with converter tools. Don't get me wrong for some specific files I have made the effort to convert but I don't want to convert hundreds of books I already have.

Will I buy/acquire .lits in future? NO. But do I want to convert the large collection I have? Also no.

At the end of the day, I asked for a feature - if Buggins can deliver then great, if not then that's fine too. But please don't post in way that came across as insulting me because I have Lit files.

eksor
03-16-2011, 07:54 AM
I have, and have used, both of these tools but ABC leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the resulting formatting and CLIT18 creates a html file that I have to further process to create my preferred epubs.

If I need to fix/reformat a lit then these are the tools I use to get an editable format and epub.

But I have a bunch of files (from Baen for eg) that are just great as they are. I know in many cases I could download the same book in a different format but this doesn't seem like a good use of time/bandwidth when I already have the book......

Calibre does a fairly good job of conversion but requires that I import my collection and then convert.

Your comment about being the last person with LIT files seems a bit confrontational to me.

Why not make the same comment about the people who have posted about wanting .pdb or .prc readers or for .imp or .rb files - they too can just convert everything they have. Simple answer is most people would prefer to get a reader that can open everything. CR3 already supports a wide range of input formats - for me personally .lit and .pdb/.prc import would give me one reading tool that can open all my collection.

I have, for historical reasons ie I used a windows mobile smartphone, a large collection of lit files, I would much prefer to find a reader that can read them without conversion than spend my time converting, reformatting etc. The same goes for my smaller collection of .pdb files. At the end of the day I want to spend time reading not playing with converter tools. Don't get me wrong for some specific files I have made the effort to convert but I don't want to convert hundreds of books I already have.

Will I buy/acquire .lits in future? NO. But do I want to convert the large collection I have? Also no.

At the end of the day, I asked for a feature - if Buggins can deliver then great, if not then that's fine too. But please don't post in way that came across as insulting me because I have Lit files.

Hi:

You are not alone, I have two dictionaries in lit format. Microsoft reader and mobipocket reader search a definition eficiently. Also I'd like to comment that Microsoft reader for ppc it's awfull except for the anntotarion feature, included many years ago, one point for this.

Some lit are hard to convert to epub or other formats, a formatting issue (color fonts, symbols,...) and my fault, probably. I have tried all the tools mentioned above.

Pdb'ers and prc'ers are not alone too, I still download wikipedia articles (1 level of recursion) with sunrisexp and read them with vademecum.

Edited to include some non off-topic comments :-). I don't think the inclusion of lit format in the compatible coolreader features is a priority, in my opinion. The same for pdb or prc. I'll miss a lot those features but I understand that making freely available the coding work of the author is enough.

Peace and regards.

Westlyn
03-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi:

Edited to include some non off-topic comments :-). I don't think the inclusion of lit format in the compatible coolreader features is a priority, in my opinion. The same for pdb or prc. I'll miss a lot those features but I understand that making freely available the coding work of the author is enough.

Peace and regards.

Agree that .LIT import may not be a high priority and it is entirely Buggins' right to prioritise how he sees fit - I made a feature request, I won't stop using CR3 if it isn't immediately implemented :).

But there is no harm in asking...

There is open source code out there to open these ebook formats eg see Calibre. I can't judge how easy it would be to add that to CR3 but maybe Buggins could add the capability for very little effort - internally a lit file is just an HTML file for the content and a bunch of XML plus image files to capture metadata, covers etc. Once 'decompressed' from the .lit the existing HTML CR3 parser/display engine could probably be reused......

AlexSno
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I am just loving it! and the multitude of formats it can offer is just amazing.

ivanjt
03-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Westlyn, I didn't intend to appear confrontational but my experience of a few years ago, where I spent over two months converting LIT files for an increasing number of people, made me think that it was a dead format. How people knew I was converting lit files is beyond me but they did and I got email requests from all over Europe.

As you say a LIT file is an encoded HTML, XML and images. The problem might not be the coding to decode the files but the hardware to do it on in reasonable time. Older Android hardware might not be up to it in the fly.

Dave_S
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
The problem might not be the coding to decode the files but the hardware to do it on in reasonable time. Older Android hardware might not be up to it in the fly.

There also is not much of any reason to bloat the code of a reader to display an obsolete format, when there are plenty of format converters available to make the conversion before reading. That is probably especially true of the LIT format, as the few non Windows based readers that read the LIT format ( ie. Hanlin V series) seem to do LIT much more poorly than other formats.

Westlyn
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Westlyn, I didn't intend to appear confrontational but my experience of a few years ago, where I spent over two months converting LIT files for an increasing number of people, made me think that it was a dead format. How people knew I was converting lit files is beyond me but they did and I got email requests from all over Europe.

As you say a LIT file is an encoded HTML, XML and images. The problem might not be the coding to decode the files but the hardware to do it on in reasonable time. Older Android hardware might not be up to it in the fly.

OK sorry if I was too quick to challenge you. But I was trying to get across it isn't that I can't convert, its the fact that I'd like to avoid converting because I have a large collection and my experience of conversion is that the formatting is not 100% retained post conversion.

Fair point re speed but my HTC Prophet winmobile v5 is much older hardware :) and it can open .LIT just fine. I suspect most Android phones have faster processors than my old phone.

Plus CR3 can already read .zip and other compressed formats like epub so probably isn't going to be any slower decompressing the .LIT than any other already CR3 supported compressed format.

Bottom line it's a format that I'd like CR3 to support so that I can use one (and one only) ebook reader on my new android phone.

It if doesnt happen fine, but it would have saved me and others just soming to Android from WinMobile a whole bunch of time doing conversions.

There is surely no harm in asking and it's really up to Buggins to decide which requests he takes on.

Westlyn
03-17-2011, 11:09 AM
There also is not much of any reason to bloat the code of a reader to display an obsolete format, when there are plenty of format converters available to make the conversion before reading. That is probably especially true of the LIT format, as the few non Windows based readers that read the LIT format ( ie. Hanlin V series) seem to do LIT much more poorly than other formats.

I may have misread the Calibre manual wrong, but I understood the preferred base book format they recommend for the Calibre library is .LIT because it can be converted to other formats, is compressed and contains multiple files for covers, metadata etc. so maybe it's not inherently a bad book format to support?

I also don't buy this bloat argument.

Adding a few 10s of Ks of format reading code to an existing application surely beats the bloat of having to install multiple multi-megabyte book readers to get all formats covered and has the added benefit that you don't have to learn to like/use a whole bunch of different user interfaces.

And the very fact that many people choose to install multiple readers so as to get .pdb or mobi support or PDF support or lit support etc suggests that there is not an appetite amongst many book reader software users, in general, to spend large amounts of time converting their legacy library.

You may be prepared to spend the time converting but I'd suggest there is a large population of winmobile phone and PDA users abandoning winmobile to move to Android who will have lit file collections that they just want to be able to continue reading.

And remember I also asked for .PDB/.PRC support because that file format predates winmobile and comes from the Palm kit that I had before winmobile.....

Dave_S
03-17-2011, 12:30 PM
maybe it's not inherently a bad book format to support?
Can you point out even one case of successful LIT support outside the Windows camp? All I have ever seen is complaints about the LIT support provided by the Hanlin line of readers.

And remember I also asked for .PDB/.PRC support because that file format predates winmobile and comes from the Palm kit that I had before winmobile.....
There are converters for Palm formats too. I started there myself, and have converted ALL of my old Palm format books to both FB2 and EPUB to future proof them.

RainingLemur
03-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Without having to sift through the whole thread, is Cool Reader better than FBReader? I use FBReader, but would be willing to convert if there's better options available.

Dave_S
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Without having to sift through the whole thread, is Cool Reader better than FBReader? I use FBReader, but would be willing to convert if there's better options available.

The best way to find out is to try it yourself. Everyone has different tastes and their own opinions. FWIW, I like CR3 better than others that I have tried, but that is just me.

Westlyn
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Can you point out even one case of successful LIT support outside the Windows camp? All I have ever seen is complaints about the LIT support provided by the Hanlin line of readers.

There are converters for Palm formats too. I started there myself, and have converted ALL of my old Palm format books to both FB2 and EPUB to future proof them.

We're obviously not understanding each other. I'm not a MS zealot re the superiority of LIT or any other format on any particular hardware/OS.

I simply don't want to convert my existing book library from whatever file formats it's currently in.

In my case as an ex windows mobile user, my collection has a high proportion of LITs but I've a whole bunch of epubs too.

I know how to convert and I have the tools to do it for pretty any format of book I've acquired.

What I've tried to communicate is I'd prefer not to convert.

There is too much time involved in me having to do this for my collection and I think there are plenty of other people like me that don't want to convert everything they own to the latest 'future proof format' - that format will change too.

I know I can convert the files, but as I've explained previously: in my experience the result is often not an exact copy in layout etc which can be highly unsatisfactory and time consuming to fix especially since I'm not an expert in CSS.

I just want to use a reader that can work 'OK', not even perfectly, with most of the most common formats 'out there' - in my experience LIT is very common amongst former Windows Mobile users.

I don't care how good LIT support was on a Hanlin or indeed how good it was on windows mobile hardware. So I see no need to point you to successful support outside of windows - it's not relevant to my request.

I do know the internal core of LIT is basically an HTML content file so any hardware that can't handle LIT well obviously couldn't handle HTML properly either.

I had a Windows mobile phone and PDA both of which can read .LIT files.

Many other people also have previously had these devices and like me have downloaded for example Baen ebooks in LIT format, Fictionwise or Project Gutenburg books in LIT format. There are a lot of people like me, otherwise why would Baen offer LIT even today as a downloadable format.

So if the developer of an application like CR3 is willing to add support for the formats I'm interested in that's my best outcome.

If he says no then that's fine - I will continue to use CR3 until something better comes along - and one of my selection criteria for 'better' will be if the new app supports one or more of the additional book formats I'm interested in.

Let's not turn this into a Windows vs. XXXX type debate. And please understand my starting point is that I'm simply not going to convert all my 'legacy' book formats to EPUB.

RainingLemur
03-17-2011, 02:33 PM
The best way to find out is to try it yourself. Everyone has different tastes and their own opinions. FWIW, I like CR3 better than others that I have tried, but that is just me.
Well, yeah. That's a no brainer. I have it downloaded already, and plan on tinkering with it at home. I was at the least hoping to see if there was any other users that used both and preferred one to the other, etc. Thanks anyhow!

Dave_S
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
And please understand my starting point is that I'm simply not going to convert all my 'legacy' book formats to EPUB.

In that case you are most likely going to have to keep your "legacy" ebook reader in good working order, because it is highly unlikely that any developer is going to waste much time supporting obsolete formats. Your position is reminiscent of someone with a vinyl record collection demanding that ipods work with unconverted vinyl recordings.

sav.here
03-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Well, yeah. That's a no brainer. I have it downloaded already, and plan on tinkering with it at home. I was at the least hoping to see if there was any other users that used both and preferred one to the other, etc. Thanks anyhow!

Yes, I use both of them and no I don't prefer one over the other. Both have there pros and cons. While CR3 have better font rendering and better choice of backgrounds, FBReader have slightly faster epub rendering and better library management. CR3 is the best challenger to FBReader. It has just started it's journey and it is already almost at par with the giants (Aldiko, FBReader) and certainly better than some (Laputa, Moon+, iReader). Give it some time and support and it will out grow them all.

fjtorres
03-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Not that I particularly care that coolreader doesn't do LITs (mobi-support, however...), but I hear Stanza for MacOS supports LITs just fine.
http://www.lexcycle.com/faq/which-file-formats-does-stanza-support-reading

Golden Crater software's Tiny Reader also supports LITs successfully on WinMo Smartphones that don't run MS Reader itself.

Both LIT and ePub are based on oeb and have very similar structures which is why Calibre converts them to epub as fast as anything. The main difference is in the external compression and the metadata file. If you explode a LIT with the CLIT tool, you can open the resulting oeb file with any app supporting oeb; that's an old two-step path to cleanly converting LITs to Mobi.

Also, as an owner of a Hanlin V3-base BeBook 1, I can tell you the LIT support failures are because the Hanlin parser doesn't know how to deal with multi-part LITs, which is a standard feature of epubs, too. It seems they only tested it with LITs created from inside MS Word (which are single file), not from ReaderWorks--which is what most commercial LITs are made with--or Calibre.

There is no legal or technical reason why LIT support can't be readily piggybacked off epub support other than the fact that there is no developer interest in it. Ditto for mobi support. I wouldn't mind seeing it but if the devs can't be bothered...
(shrug)

Hopefully there will be more interest in OPDS support...

Dave_S
03-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Also, as an owner of a Hanlin V3-base BeBook 1, I can tell you the LIT support failures are because the Hanlin parser doesn't know how to deal with multi-part LITs

Thanks for your explanation. I have always been a bit curious why LIT support was so bad on Hanlin devices.

There is no legal or technical reason why LIT support can't be readily piggybacked off epub support other than the fact that there is no developer interest in it.

There does not seem to be much interest in publishing in LIT or PDB formats anymore either is there? Amazon is keeping MOBI format going, so that is one old format that might be worth supporting? The others are better off just being converted to a format that is still viable, IMHO.

Mastiff
03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
LIT? Talk about flogging a dead horse (format) to bits... ;)

fjtorres
03-20-2011, 06:06 PM
There does not seem to be much interest in publishing in LIT or PDB formats anymore either is there?

There are still quite a few of LIT ebooks listed at Fictionwise and other second-tier ebook retailers. Whether anybody is buying is unclear.
But even when LITs, Mobi, and PDB were the only formats in broad use there was no developer action on supporting LIT. I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze anybody but since both Coolreader and FBReader originated on Linux and LIT bears the stamp of "eee-vile" Microsoft and Mobi of "eee-vile" Amazon... ;)

Not holding my breath to see either (or pdb, now owned by B&N) supported on Coolreader.

Most of my commercial LITs are from BAEN, anyway. So it's no effort to redownload them as epub or Mobi.

eksor
03-21-2011, 06:59 AM
In that case you are most likely going to have to keep your "legacy" ebook reader in good working order, because it is highly unlikely that any developer is going to waste much time supporting obsolete formats. Your position is reminiscent of someone with a vinyl record collection demanding that ipods work with unconverted vinyl recordings.

Hi:

Please, excuse me for jumping on this thread.

I just want to say that the analogy is not correct, because vinyl records (as everybody knows) are analog and thus a different physical format. LIT, PDB, PRC are different logical formats and the effort to support them cannot be compared with the impossibility of vinyl records being played by an iPod. As a matter of curiosity, see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record.

We are in a digital era and maybe digital works must be preserved as the physical works. For instance, old arcade videogames can be played in emulators and so on.

Regards.

Mastiff
03-21-2011, 07:04 AM
I agree fully. But preserved by getting converted into anoter format that is in use. Like all my CD's (and those vinyls that I haven't been able to find in digital format) are converted to high quality FLAC, which can then be converted to the next, great lossless format, still without loss!

Westlyn
03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi:

Please, excuse me for jumping on this thread.

I just want to say that the analogy is not correct, because vinyl records (as everybody knows) are analog and thus a different physical format. LIT, PDB, PRC are different logical formats and the effort to support them cannot be compared with the impossibility of vinyl records being played by an iPod. As a matter of curiosity, see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record.

We are in a digital era and maybe digital works must be preserved as the physical works. For instance, old arcade videogames can be played in emulators and so on.

Regards.

Thanks you made the point that I would have made about the analogy being invalid.

Westlyn
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM

I'm not going to keep debating this with you, let's agree to disgree.

We have differing views about the definition of legacy and how best one should handle that at least in the short term.

Ultimately I may have to convert the ebooks but as I've tried to explain, my experience has been that conversion was not good enough because of formatting issues - so the conversion tools are not a no-brainer to justify a big effort converting to epub especially if we have epub superceded by the next 'standard' format in a year or 2.

Using an analogy, you can convert DVDs to .MP4 or .MKV using the latest H.264 codec, but the conversion will degrade the video quality slightly. Alternatively you can get a video player program that can play both DVD and .mp4 which covers both the older files and the newer ones you buy.

And if you retain the original file you can convert to a future .MP5 format with the minimum of quality loss compared to a conversion of DVD -> MP4 -> MP5. And you might still get a player that supports dvd, mp4 AND mp5.

I basically don't agree that .LIT is obsolete (yet) which was somewhat supported by the later posts too, and some of the later posts demonstrate that the format is pretty standards based too, so adding support is not too big a deal for a developer.

As I've said all along - it will be up to the developer (and not you or me) to decide what he does or doesn't do re additional ebook format support. I'm OK with whatever he decides.

But I have tried to make a case for why some people (and not just me) would prefer to find a reader that can read both .LIT and .PDB ebooks too. It's clearly not that hard technically to add support (at least for non-drm which is all I want) so the programming effort should not be too onerous. Let's just let Buggins decide to add .LIT support, or not, as the case may be.

Westlyn
03-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree fully. But preserved by getting converted into anoter format that is in use. Like all my CD's (and those vinyls that I haven't been able to find in digital format) are converted to high quality FLAC, which can then be converted to the next, great lossless format, still without loss!

So when there is a true lossless ebook converter, we should convert our old formats - agreed. My experience is that the ebook converters are not yet 'lossless'.

Todays converters tend to be more like a lossy mp3 converter rather than Flac.

And should I choose flac or APE or WMA lossless as my archival format? It all comes down to personal preference and for some people at least the best option may be to retain the original CD and convert only when necessary.

RainingLemur
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Update: After playing with Cool Reader for a couple days, I've decided to stick with FBReader. At least, for the time being. FBReader just seems to be more..."full" than Cool Reader at the moment.

Maybe in a couple-few releases, I'll make the transition. But, for now, I'll stick with what's familiar.

TallMomof2
03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
There are still quite a few of LIT ebooks listed at Fictionwise and other second-tier ebook retailers. Whether anybody is buying is unclear.

This is true only for multiformat ebooks at Fictionwise. The only format with DRM offered is the Secure eReader format. I still have secure LIT format books on my bookshelf but they are no longer offered for sale in that format. (And if its and Agency ebook, it's not offered for sale at all.)

Mastiff
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
And should I choose flac or APE or WMA lossless as my archival format? It all comes down to personal preference and for some people at least the best option may be to retain the original CD and convert only when necessary.

You should use the format that has most support. Simple as that. As for the original if you've got room for it, keep it. And use it as a base for conversion, instead of trying to force it into an iPod. ;)

Westlyn
03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
You should use the format that has most support. Simple as that. As for the original if you've got room for it, keep it. And use it as a base for conversion, instead of trying to force it into an iPod. ;)

I think which format has has most support changes as someone comes up with a new format or new app or a new OS that ticks the boxes for people.

If, lets say, the latest winamp supported ape but not flac but winamp was just so superior that you had to use it - do you think flac would remain the most popular? How would you feel if there was technically no way you could convert from Flac to the new format (whatever that was?)

And I think a lot of less sophisticated people would tell you that MP3 is the most popular 'standard' not flac.

I'm old enough in the IT sense to have repeatedly fallen foul of the 'de facto' vs 'de jure' standard issue.

The problem with de facto standards like flac is that it's only a standard as long as it's the most popular (see my comment about mp3 too) and the fact that it is not a de jure standard means that a new variant of flac with subtle changes eg 96KHz vs 48KHz sampling, say, could render your collection unplayable or force another conversion round.

In the media streaming world this is actually happening today because the latest version of MKV introduces a header compression feature that prevents playback on devices that were 100% compliant with the earlier MKV format.

The company I work for is currently paying megabucks to convert engineering drawings from a popular document format - PDF, back into it's original format so that it can be edited/updated. All because someone thought making it into a standard PDF format and throwing away the original made sense.

This same sort of issue bedevils us with converting ebooks too. For some (repeated) conversion will be fine, for others, keeping fidelity with the original may be important. YMMV.

Mastiff
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Well, I have about 30 years experience with IT so I'm no spring chicken myself either. But I still have all the files I have made since I started out (mostly audio and Word Perfect/Word files). As long as you think ahead you're OK. I have three complete 486DX pc's with DOS and Windows 311 and three complete Pentium computers with Windows 95 and NT in my brother's barn, and I have copies of all files three places: There, at home and in online backup. And when I need something I convert it in stages (early Word Perfect into later Word Perfect and then into Word) or look at them on the computers from that age. What I do not do is to expect anybody to support the older file formats in anything.

But I agree that throwing away the originals is stupid if you have room for them in the format they are in. I would never throw away my old files. But I don't work on the old systems if I don't have to. Which is exactly my point: Conversion is almost always possible, if you are willing to do the leg work. I'm guessing that you could have done quite a few conversions into a newer format or managed to find a format that would actually work in the time you have spent explaining your reasons here... ;)

Westlyn
03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
What I do not do is to expect anybody to support the older file formats in anything.

....I'm guessing that you could have done quite a few conversions into a newer format or managed to find a format that would actually work in the time you have spent explaining your reasons here... ;)

I don't expect anyone to support older file formats - I do think its perfectly acceptable to ask that they might consider supporting them for reasons given.

As I repeatedly said above, I have converted some books and expect that I will convert some more in the future but my experience of conversion was that it wasn't 100% fidelity and I've seen at least one other poster confirm that. Its the equivalent of using the MP3 codec rather than the flac codec in terms of conversion results. If the book convertors were perfect then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

To answer your last comment, I would argue that if a developer can spend a couple of hours adding the code necessary to support a new format AND that they are willing to do so, then if that saves me and hundreds of other people hours of effort converting books then this seems like a good net result. I've devoted the time debating this because I think there many people like me who would benefit from increased format support in CoolReader.

No-one is saying the developer must do this but, just maybe, he would be willing to do it for the benefit of a lot of users of his application.

nickdma
03-27-2011, 10:47 AM
On the first few pages there was talk of dropbox support. Someone even posted the link to the API.
Any plans to implement dropbox support? It would be awesome if Coolreader could sync read positions via dropbox so you could read across devices, similar to nook and kindle. No android app I'm aware of (other than fbreader with root) support this, especially for sideloaded books.

Dopedangel
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

From the looks of it your last request is going to be their in the next release

molly38
03-31-2011, 04:45 AM
I have been trying to find a setting that will turn pages like a flick of a page turning.. can Cool Reader do this?

Mastiff
03-31-2011, 04:46 AM
You mean visually? Options, middle choice (looks like a picture being cropped), "Page animation", "Paper book".

eksor
03-31-2011, 05:07 AM

Hi:

Excuse me, could you tell me if pdb/prc support means that cr will open output pdb files from sunrisexp or plucker?

Regards

Westlyn
03-31-2011, 08:51 AM

If it works OK then that will allow me to uninstall eReader so definitely a win now that I'm tight on memspace. (I have Android 2.1 so no app2sd capability).