View Full Version : CW Review of 4 Android Tablets

kennyc
12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Conclusion is that Galaxy Tab from Samsung is best choice....not sure I'd choose any of them myself at this point...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9201721/4_Android_tablets_vie_for_your_attention?taxonomyI d=15&pageNumber=1

wodin
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for that Kenny, nice comparison. Since I'm not inclined for yet another spendy wireless data plan, the Archos 70 looks to be my choice. I just wish it had GPS and more RAM.

I keep hearing rumors that the Galaxy Tab will be coming out with a non-3G version for $400 at Best Buy.

kennyc
12-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm hoping for a multitude of new ones early next year.......I want one, but none that work for me yet.....

One thing I'm waiting on is Android 3.0....

My DroidX just got upgraded to 2.3 this morning....

=X=
12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
At the moment the galaxy if the only real choice for an Android tablet.

But at this point I'd hold off buying a tablet unless you need it now.

The rumors if the upcoming tablets, that are coming out in Feb. through April really leave these devices behind.

=X=
12-22-2010, 03:17 PM
. I just wish it had GPS a
I keep hearing rumors that the Galaxy Tab will be coming out with a non-3G version for $400 at Best Buy.
Right now best buy is selling a verizon galaxy tab for $499. The only condition if you have to have a data plan for at least a month. So it's really $519.

There are no reliable rumors of a WI-FI Tab. The only rumor was that a best buy ad had a feature indicating WI-FI.
There was also an ad that had the tab featuring super amoled and that is not the case.

RoboRay
12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
The NOOKcolor appears to make a pretty decent and reasonably priced WiFi tablet if you're willing to do some light hacking to root it and install or enable the portions of Android B&N locks out. Out of the box, or for the non-techy people, probably, not so much.

At half the price of a Galaxy Tab, I'm going to give it a try.

Logseman
12-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm hoping for a multitude of new ones early next year.......I want one, but none that work for me yet.....

Lucky you! My carrier has not yet upgraded from 2.1!

GreenMonkey
12-23-2010, 01:59 AM
The NOOKcolor appears to make a pretty decent and reasonably priced WiFi tablet if you're willing to do some light hacking to root it and install or enable the portions of Android B&N locks out. Out of the box, or for the non-techy people, probably, not so much.

It's an easy hack. Requires a little maintenance though (blocking manual updates, re-rooting later when B&N updates it, etc. Good for a tech-familiar person, not so good for a family member. The xda folks have a vanilla alpha Froyo build up and running on it, so I'd bet in a few months we have a nice custom ROM on it.

I would have loved a Galaxy Tab. My wife likes the look of it too. But not for $500 or so.

ebookrights1
12-23-2010, 06:09 AM

I concur. Now, if only B&N is willing to ship to oversea.

The Galaxy Tab is nice but an overkill and overpriced as a ebook device.

Dopedangel
12-23-2010, 08:46 AM

I think you mean 2.2 or 2.2.1 apart from nexus s no other device has got working version of 2.3 official or unofficial.

gtriever
12-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Yep, a lot of folks confuse the Android Version (2.2.1 on my Droid X) to the System Version, (2.3.340.MB810).

kennyc
12-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I think you mean 2.2 or 2.2.1 apart from nexus s no other device has got working version of 2.3 official or unofficial.

Sorry, just checked, you're right....they had me confused....why do they do that...sheesh!

gastan
12-23-2010, 12:04 PM
At the moment the galaxy if the only real choice for an Android tablet.

Oh, Pbbfflliitt! The Pandigital Novel has nearly identical specs as the four profiled but at $115US (less than half the cheapest profiled device) it is a viable choice if you're willing to do an easy five minute hack as RoboRay mentions doing on the NOOKcolor.

You should know better than to make such a blanket statement.

gtriever
12-23-2010, 12:36 PM
It's viable if you want an 800x600 display, 533 MHz processor, only 128MB RAM, and a resistive screen.

=X= is unfortunately right on this one, if you want a good full-blown Android tablet at this time. Having said that, the rooted NookColor is nothing to sneeze at...

wheatfree
12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Uh... the novel has an 800 MHz processor and 256MB RAM--at least the white one does. I'll give you the screen though. Video blows. I'm told GPU drivers were never compiled for it.

gastan
12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
It's viable if you want an 800x600 display,

I do, I do. :2thumbsup I hate wide-screen devices.

...It's viable if you want an 800x600 display, 533 MHz processor, only 128MB RAM...

Like wheatfree said.

...and a resistive screen.

I've read a lot of PDN screen bashing but I have never had a problem with it. I think that reading and light web surfing on its screen is fine. Response times for finger swipes and keyboard reaction is acceptable by my standards.

Go ahead and spend mega-bucks to get marginally better results. I'll save that US $120 to $500 and just wait the extra 7-8 seconds for each web page to load.

I'll give you the screen though. Video blows.

When I want to watch video, I settle down in front of my 55" HDTV. I don't give a ..... about video on a portable device. :p

I stand behind my feelings about blanket statements.

kennyc
12-23-2010, 06:19 PM

I stand behind my feelings about blanket statements.

And it's good to have a blanket to stand behind and keep you warm...wait......what? ... oh....

Logseman
12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
http://joywork4life.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/linus.jpg

kennyc
12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I love Linus! :)