Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Lightbulb Public Library Donation Idea - love help fleshing out

I had an interesting conversation with my cousin last week. We were discussing the cost of college for young men and women in the UK due to the recent tuition increase. He told me he felt that the same would happen soon in the US and lots of people would be unable to get a decent job due to a lack of a college degree. [Ignoring other parts of the conversation] At the end of the discussion we both agreed that as long as there is a free public library system, people can manage some type of self-education.

I am a huge fan of my public library. Once I received my Kobo ereader I was very excited to be able to borrow ebooks.

Then I actually used the ebook library system (Overdrive) and noticed that there several books and authors that I love and couldn’t locate.

I want to try to start some avenue or program or something that would allow people to donate ebooks to their local library (or to Overdrive – whatever). It’s been noticed that people donate most when they can control the donation, so I feel that being able to donate particular authors/books may encourage people to donate.

I am not talking of going through your book collection and giving a copy to the library (which would be pirating), but rather some function that would allow for the purchase of a book from a legal vendor and then donating that purchase (and the download attached) to the library. I would consider this in addition to access of PDB.

I have contacted my local library and asked about this possibility (they subscribe to Overdrive). They admitted that it is something they have never given any thought (as no patron has ever asked the questions) but would love to be able to encourage book donations as much as possible. I was told that the suggestion would be brought up in meetings and the result reported back to me.

I would love it if people at MR can help me flesh out this admittedly vague idea into something that may be worthwhile - especially since there is the wonderful Patricia Clark Memorial Library already in place – I can see no greater tribute to such a great bibliophile as to spread knowledge as much as possible.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Overdrive has an existing donation program that involves participating libraries:

http://www.librarybin.com/ABD80854-1...1/en/About.htm

You're probably better off contacting Overdrive with suggestions about alterative donations, if that's what you want to pursue, because it's unlikely they will want to reinvent the wheel for individual libraries.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Thanks, Maggie!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The trouble with that is, it's like donating a book to a library. They don't actually put it on the shelf, they sell it for money.

Which then goes to buy DVDs and Video games and comics and 1000 copies of the latest Stephen King book (instead of just 999)

(My mother was a librarian, so I've soaked up a lot of bitterness about how they work)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The trouble with that is, it's like donating a book to a library. They don't actually put it on the shelf, they sell it for money.

Which then goes to buy DVDs and Video games and comics and 1000 copies of the latest Stephen King book (instead of just 999)

(My mother was a librarian, so I've soaked up a lot of bitterness about how they work)
Please, please, please tell me you are being sarcastic. I've donated bound books to my local library for years (different/smaller town than I live now) and was told that as long as the book was in a "new" or "like new" condition the book would be placed in circulation. Because they were books I'd already read I never checked to see. Hate to think that I've been so horribly gullible.

Have to admit I was surprised by the lack of donating knowledge of the librarians I've spoken to here, but thought that each city/state was different.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have found that our library does not shelve books donated. They are used for fundraisers. It never made sense till one librarian told me it would effect the yearly budget they received???? Another said the library board did not approve using donated books for anything but fundraisers. So I don't know the real reason they don't shelve them.

I would love to donate books for e-readers. My county library does not have an e-reader program. But a smaller library system just across the river does. Our library was taken over by our city & has cut the budget way back. It would be nice if we could donate books to be shelved or be used for e-readers.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I don't so much mind them re-selling a perfectly good print book donation, as part of those proceeds will go to acquiring new audio and ebooks.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I have found that our library does not shelve books donated. They are used for fundraisers. It never made sense till one librarian told me it would effect the yearly budget they received???? Another said the library board did not approve using donated books for anything but fundraisers. So I don't know the real reason they don't shelve them.
Two very lame excuses. What kind of mentality would place such harsh restrictions upon a library? People who think like that have no business being in local government.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I'm pretty sure the Overdrive library donations circulate. Can someone confirm?

I do know that donated books at our library system are sold for fundraising. I'm OK with that, though.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Our library absolutely refuses to shelve book donations - even if it is a book in excellent condition that they have a waiting list built up.

Not kidding.

They put it in the closet and it gets sold for about 50cents at the next Friends sale. One of the numerous reasons I'm glad not to be dealing in paper books anymore, nothing to do with them once I've read them.

I love the Overdrive donation idea - I would wholeheartedly participate in it (as long as I get the option to read the book first) and wouldn't even mind paying a bit more than what I pay at Amazon for the same ebook since I would know that the book would be put to good use.

It has been brought up here a couple of times and somebody even got their library to accept a donated eBook once. But overall it just hasn't gained traction as an idea. Overdrive set up that "donate" link, but it still doesn't allow you to actually donate an eBook. It just funnels part of their profit from the sale of the ebook (after a fulfillment fee) to the library.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

No, the books you purchase from librarybin do not go into circulation:
Quote:
How does LibraryBIN.com work?
At LibraryBIN.com you can purchase eBooks and digital audiobooks. The proceeds of each sale, after deducting the payment to the publisher for the wholesale cost of the title plus a hosting and fulfillment fee, are donated to the participating library that you specify. Participating library websites have 'Buy It Now' links displayed next to titles available for purchase at LibraryBIN.

What portion of a purchase goes to support the library?
After deducting the payment to the publisher for the wholesale cost of the title plus a hosting and fulfillment fee, the net profit from each sale goes to the library.

How can the library use the funds that it earns from LibraryBIN.com?
Funds the library earns from LibraryBIN.com can be used to purchase eBooks, audiobooks, and other media for its library download website.
I don't understand WHY I can't just donate books to be circulated! This makes no sense to me. I really wanted to buy a specific collection of YA books for my library system...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I don't understand WHY I can't just donate books to be circulated! This makes no sense to me. I really wanted to buy a specific collection of YA books for my library system...
It makes no sense to me either.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

The books you buy from librarybin are yours to keep.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seems that all the books sold by librarybin are also DRM'ed. I guess I'll pass.
Quote:
What software do I need to use the titles at this site?
The software you need depends on the format you want to download. To review system requirements and download free software for your preferred format, click below…

Adobe EPUB eBooks
Adobe Digital Editions
OverDrive Media Console for Android™ v2.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for iPhone® v2.0 (or newer)

Adobe PDF eBooks
Adobe Digital Editions

OverDrive WMA Audiobooks
OverDrive Media Console for Windows® v1.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for Windows Mobile v1.1 (or newer)

OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks
OverDrive Media Console for Android™ v1.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for BlackBerry® v1.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for iPhone® v1.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for Mac® v1.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for Windows® v3.0 (or newer)
OverDrive Media Console for Windows Mobile v1.1 (or newer)
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Mrs.Joseph - You might want to read through this thread of somebody who did manage to donate an Overdrive book to his library. As you can see - it was not a simple process.

I am actually kind of surprised that Libraries haven't just jumped onto this yet. Imagine webpage Wishlists of books where people could click and donate. I agree with you 100% - we should have this.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...drive+Donation
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote