SCION
12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Just updated:
Adobe DRM, both ePUB and PDF:2thumbsup:D

:eek: Whoa!

=X=
12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the post

It's only the paid version ($3) that has been updated, the free version is still at 1.x version.

=X=

Nate the great
12-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the post

It's only the paid version ($3) that has been updated, the free version is still at 1.x version.

=X=

Thanks for the clarification.

TallMomof2
12-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Plus the premium version is 5MB+. I'm trying to make room for it on my IQ right now. The installed version is 13.95MB.

twowheels
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Just updated:
Adobe DRM, both ePUB and PDF:2thumbsup:D

Does that mean that it supports library books? I might upgrade to the paid version if it does...

fjtorres
12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Does that mean that it supports library books? I might upgrade to the paid version if it does...

Yes it does.
But so does the Overdrive Media Console and that one's free.
Just saying... ;)

(I'm looking to get my hands on Aldiko 2.0 myself.)

twowheels
12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes it does.
But so does the Overdrive Media Console and that one's free.
Just saying... ;)

(I'm looking to get my hands on Aldiko 2.0 myself.)

??? Overdrive media console still requires a compatible device, doesn't it?

twowheels
12-20-2010, 06:43 PM
From their website...

> Add ebooks from your local public library;

Looking good... I see that v2.0 is in the market for the paid version of the app, though the ratings aren't looking very promising...

fjtorres
12-20-2010, 08:51 PM
??? Overdrive media console still requires a compatible device, doesn't it?

Compatible device for what?
Sorry, I just tried it on the Pocketbook IQ; it directly accessed the library from the tablet. It also opened ebooks directed to it by the file manager.

asjogren
12-21-2010, 12:38 AM
How to you compare Aldiko and Overdrive for usability?

I like Overdrive, like one of the posts, because it is DIRECT to my public library's collection. I like the tap on the right to page forward, tap on the left to go back, tap in the middle for position in the chapter and the book.

What I don't like:
- no PDF
- a bug where the last line of a page (about every 15 pages) only partially appears
- switching to another program forces me to restart and to reselect the book again

Is Aldiko V2 direct? Or, uses Adobe Digital Editions like on a Windows machine and side loaded via Digital Editions?

TallMomof2
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm having minimal success loading DRM ePub into Aldiko 2.0. No direct downloads from the library or Fictionwise. The IQ doesn't recognize the .acsm file from the library and when I try at Fictionwise I get a web page patially filled with character strings. Sideloading doesn't really work well. 8 of 10 purchased DRM ePubs imported, no library DRM ePUb even though it's all under the same Adobe ID.

You can download extra fonts.

The navigation choices are sparse compared to the free edition.

madsquabbles
12-21-2010, 01:16 PM
yeah, they crippled the advanced options in 2.0. only +/- for font and margins. so on my evo i have too wide a margin on the sides and the font's are either too big or too small. i can't select anything in between. it seems they dumbed it down for less technical people using the app on ereaders (not that the old version was very technical, it just makes changing preferences easier, but limited)

the shelves have no titles above them so at a puny thumbnail size i really can't see the titles of the books on the shelves.

good thing is that i have titanium backup and made a backup just before upgrading. i'm back to the older version now. this may be the catalyst for me to switch to fbreader.

SCION
12-21-2010, 01:22 PM
yeah, they crippled the advanced options in 2.0. only +/- for font and margins. so on my evo i have too wide a margin on the sides and the font's are either too big or too small. i can't select anything in between. it seems they dumbed it down for less technical people using the app on ereaders (not that the old version was very technical, it just makes changing preferences easier, but limited)

the shelves have no titles above them so at a puny thumbnail size i really can't see the titles of the books on the shelves.

good thing is that i have titanium backup and made a backup just before upgrading. i'm back to the older version now. this may be the catalyst for me to switch to fbreader.

Thanks for sharing. I'll stick with the old version then.

fjtorres
12-21-2010, 08:14 PM
this may be the catalyst for me to switch to fbreader.

Check out Coolreader 3 for Android, it has even more configuration options than Aldiko. No fancy graphics effects but it does let you choose your display font face and background.

kennyc
12-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the post

=X=

Thanks. I don't want DRM in any case.

ellett
02-23-2011, 12:15 AM
You can use settings to change your margins, and if you select list view on the home page you get title, author etc. Everything that was in version 1 is still there, it's just that there's a learning curve to find out how to get to it. I almost wrote the developers to ask if I could revert, but then I spent a few days with it and have found out how to get around all of my complaints. I just wish they'd included a "Here's what's changed and here's the new way to do everything" document. Several of the major changes are NOT intuitive.

But it's still by far the best Android ereader.

SCION
02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
But it's still by far the best Android ereader.

It's almost there. Still needs highlights and annotations (with export capability).

CharlieBird
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Am I correct in that Aldiko does not have an option for off line dictionary look-up? It also (on my device) doesn't have an exit option...just back, back, back.

With Cool/Moon Readers you can choose, for instance, ColorDict or Fora Dictionary, together w/ innumerable translation dictionaries, World Fact Book, etc., further enhancing my preference for them.
d