View Full Version : Firmware Update Version 1.0.1 - NOOKcolor

SCION
12-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Update now available.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?cds2Pid=35758#

KryptoNyte
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
They claim that this will become an autoupdate in a few days. For those that have rooted, is there any concern here that these updates will all of a sudden revert our device back to it's original, unrooted state?

SCION
12-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Until there's an answer from XDA Developers, I blocked auto updates using a script posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9890525&postcount=17

I doubt I'll undo it. I prefer to manually install my stuff anyway.

SCION
12-17-2010, 09:34 PM
So far the word is that those who install the update (unrooted devices) will not be able to root their device. Will need an updated method.

If you want to root your device hold off on this minor update (for now).

Blusaber
12-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi

I downloaded the zip file but windows will not open it what should I do

Thanks

Gary

SCION
12-17-2010, 09:49 PM
This should help.

Manual Download Instructions

1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way.

2. Tap Settings on your NOOKcolor's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOKcolor battery charge is at 20% or more.

3. Connect your NOOKcolor to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOKcolor. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOKcolor drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOKcolor screen.

4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOKcolor drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOKcolor drive or add the file to any other existing folder.

5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOKcolor drive after the file transfer is complete.

6. Your NOOKcolor will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.

7. Please do not turn off your NOOKcolor during the installation process.

8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOKcolor will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.

9. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.

NOOKcolor must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOKcolor will reboot itself back to the Home screen. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOKcolor and check to see that your software version is 1.0.1

Congratulations, your NOOKcolor has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665.

Blusaber
12-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Thank you Scion

Worked like a charm

Gary

gtriever
12-18-2010, 06:04 AM
The xda-dev guys are already working on an update, so it shouldn't be too long before the fix is in. In the meantime there are reports that nooter 0.2 still works.

boswd
12-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks Scion

SCION
12-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Until there's an answer from XDA Developers, I blocked auto updates using a script posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9890525&postcount=17

I doubt I'll undo it. I prefer to manually install my stuff anyway.

This applies to me as well:

Renaming the otacerts.zip doesn't break stock features. I am still able to use the store, purchase content, read my books/mags, etc with the B&N stock apps.
Thus far, my NC has not updated itself. I have renamed the otacerts.zip on my NC though which in theory should block the update.

French
12-18-2010, 09:41 AM
As always, THANK YOU scion for this valuable thread. I have updated my Nook to BLOCK the automatic update.

gtriever
12-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Well, THAT didn't take long...Auto-nooter 2.12.18 has been posted at xda-devs for B&N 1.0.1... :D

From xda-developers:

DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE 1.0.0

Changes:
New: Installs NookColor Tools to Enable Non-Market Installs.
Fix: 1.0.1 Rooting Issue.
Update: Installs Softkeys 2.0.2 instead of 2.0

What it does:
Installs su and Superuser.apk
Installs Busybox
Installs Softkeys 2.0.2
Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
Installs Calendar and Calculator.
Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
Enables Live Wallpapers
Enables Android Market and Gmail.
App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Still Needs:
Custom Kernel to display something while working.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.0.1 you must do a complete wipe.
* You must update to 1.0.1 to use AutoNooter 2.12.18

Noah98
12-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I wonder if it's worth updating and then re-rooting...

gtriever
12-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't know, since my NC is currently under wrap (:xmas:). Version 1.0.1 was reportedly released to improve WiFi and web browsing. How are the WiFi and Browser doing under 1.0.0 root? I do see that the later version of Auto-nooter enables non-market installs.

SCION
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm not going through the process just for a better browsing experience with the stock browser and some WiFi tweaks. My WiFi has never been an issue. I don't need the stock browser anymore. I'll just wait for the major update then re-root.

gtriever: Those of us with original root have non-market installs enabled. It was done as a separate process, after root.

zeroh
12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm not going through the process just for a better browsing experience with the stock browser and some WiFi tweaks. My WiFi has never been an issue. I don't need the stock browser anymore. I'll just wait for the major update then re-root.

gtriever: Those of us with original root have non-market installs enabled. It was done as a separate process, after root.

I agree.. i'd rather not have to wipe everything and reroot after updating and then have to go through all that reloading and reconfiguring to the way I like it. My NC suits me just fine not without the upgrade for now.

emt
12-18-2010, 11:16 AM
That the only change is better browsing/wifi? There may be other "unannounced" tweaks. It's no big deal to wipe/reset

SCION
12-18-2010, 11:21 AM
That the only change is better browsing/wifi? There may be other "unannounced" tweaks. It's no big deal to wipe/reset

If you want to do it go ahead if it's what you want. I'm not trying to deter anyone (I wouldn't have started this thread). I've invested much in configuring my device. Everyone is at a different level.

I don't plan to wipe, re-root, and re-configure for every minor update that comes along with the hope of there being some hidden gems. :) If you discover unannounced tweaks please let us know.

French
12-18-2010, 11:29 AM

While I agree with this...I also wanted to point out that the Nooter script has been significantly "enhanced" since we rooted. When we rooted that's ALL the script did. Now the script also installs all the stuff we had to do manually (superuser, enable non market installs, add gmail, calendar and market, etc.).

With a good back up program reinstalling all your apps shouldn't be an issue. From there it's a matter of getting preferences back in place (and with a good back up program even those can be easily added).

Just saying...or rather I think I'm trying to convince myself that I need to wipe, update and then reroot. :D

SCION
12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
While I agree with this...I also wanted to point out that the Nooter script has been significantly "enhanced" since we rooted. When we rooted that's ALL the script did. Now the script also installs all the stuff we had to do manually (superuser, enable non market installs, add gmail, calendar and market, etc.).

With a good back up program reinstalling all your apps shouldn't be an issue. From there it's a matter of getting preferences back in place (and with a good back up program even those can be easily added).

Just saying...or rather I think I'm trying to convince myself that I need to wipe, update and then reroot. :D

Thanks for informing the uninformed about the enhanced rooting process. :thumbsup:

gtriever
12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

If you happy with what you have, then don't change a thing. For those of us who haven't gone through the process, it's good to see that the xda guys are on top of things.

And now it's included in Auto-nooter as well... :D

SCION
12-18-2010, 11:43 AM
If you happy with what you have, then don't change a thing. For those of us who haven't gone through the process, it's good to see that the xda guys are on top of things....

I'm not sure why you're pointing this out. :chinscratch: My response was directed to Noah who was inquiring about those who rooted already. And I re-addressed it in post #18.

Noah98
12-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks! I think I'll wait it out as well. I'm sure another update will come through again before 2.2 anyway.

SCION
12-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Let us know if the new root fixes the "Browse in Store" issue.

This is a feature that allows you to read a book for up to one hour in a local B&N. Those with original root are no longer able to access this feature. We can connect to the store WiFi and access the Internet with no problems. We can't read books for up to an hour.

KryptoNyte
12-18-2010, 02:01 PM
So, let's say I purchased a second NC, and am just taking it out of the box. I assume it has 1.0.0 as it was manuf/shipped prior to the 1.0.1 update. So, I'll need to go through the usual activation process, and then when B&N activates the auto-update, the NC will likely update itself to 1.0.1, and then perform the new automated nooter process.

Or, if the automated B&N update isn't yet active, I could download and install the update prior to auto-nooter, and then use the most recent auto-nooter.

That sound about right?

(Although not stated, I can't help but wonder if there were some improvements in battery life that may be coming along with the wi-fi improvement)

SCION
12-18-2010, 02:03 PM
That's my understanding as well.

KryptoNyte
12-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks. The thing that concerned me, was firing up the new NC, and having it auto-update, leaving me with the "manual" nootering option only. I'd prefer to use the auto-nooter, and now that it's fixed for the update, I guess that should work fine.

meglet
12-18-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm seriously considering it, my NC is being a real pain about connecting to/staying connected to WiFi.

At least the new AutoNooter script includes stuff like the Market which I had to do manually the first time around. And I haven't loaded too many apps yet, so re-installing those won't be a big deal.

SCION
12-18-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm seriously considering it, my NC is being a real pain about connecting to/staying connected to WiFi.

At least the new AutoNooter script includes stuff like the Market which I had to do manually the first time around. And I haven't loaded too many apps yet, so re-installing those won't be a big deal.

Certainly a good reason to update. You can't enjoy your device in its present state.

slayda
12-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Someone who does it, please report on how much fun it is to unroot & reroot.

Thanks.

meglet
12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Certainly a good reason to update. You can't enjoy your device in its present state.

Yeah, I got fed up, reset, and updated.

Someone who does it, please report on how much fun it is to unroot & reroot.

Thanks.

It wasn't bad. I did the soft key reset (power off, then hold N and Volume + while powering back on) then ran the update, and the new auto-nooter. The process was fairly quick, took a little longer because I got an Android setup prompt after the initial reset which confused me, but after a little checking I was reset and ready for the update. The new auto-nooter includes the fix to enable the Market, so it was much quicker than the first time I rooted, well under an hour this time. The annoying part is re-downloading/installing my apps, and even that didn't take long.

Crossing my fingers WiFi is fixed. It still doesn't connect instantly when waking the NC up, but now connects within a minute or two rather than requiring I turn Wifi off and back on before it will connect like it used to. Haven't done enough surfing yet to see if I still get random disconnects.

KryptoNyte
12-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Meglet, have you considered just grabbing another from the store to test the issue, and see if it's just your unit?

jswinden
12-19-2010, 03:42 PM
My NC is unrooted so I did the 1.0.1 update. (Is "unrooted" the right term?) I wasn't having any WiFi issues, so I don't know if it helped those who were/are. I'm still very unimpressed with the web browser. Even the Nook page at B&N does not display correctly. (Look carefully and you will see layers overlapping one another. Very unprofessional looking.) You would think that B&N would have at the very least tested their browser with their own page! And I'm still annoyed that selecting the mobile CNN web site defaults to an iPad page! Gross....Gasp, choke, puke....applesauce now all over the floor. :smack:

No big deal though as I bought my NC to actually read on--Imagine that! :cool:

slayda
12-19-2010, 05:08 PM
My NC is unrooted so I did the 1.0.1 update. (Is "unrooted" the right term?) I wasn't having any WiFi issues, so I don't know if it helped those who were/are. I'm still very unimpressed with the web browser. Even the Nook page at B&N does not display correctly. (Look carefully and you will see layers overlapping one another. Very unprofessional looking.) You would think that B&N would have at the very least tested their browser with their own page! And I'm still annoyed that selecting the mobile CNN web site defaults to an iPad page! Gross....Gasp, choke, puke....applesauce now all over the floor. :smack:

I would think that the term "unrooted" would imply that it has been rooted and then unrooted - i.e. gone through the process from being in a rooted state to a not rooted state. A more proper term for an NC that has never been rooted might be "not rooted". However I'm just a country boy so what do I know? :rolleyes:

meglet
12-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Meglet, have you considered just grabbing another from the store to test the issue, and see if it's just your unit?

If it gets bad again, I'll certainly exchange it. However, since updating the wireless has behaved much better get the random dropouts last night like I had been before updating, and the time to connect to wifi after waking from sleep isn't unreasonable.

KryptoNyte
12-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Well, that's good news, Meglet. BTW, snooping around your website, I'd have to give the good old HDHomeRun (+SageTV) the thumbs up for my best device in the last 5 years, with the WDTV Live Plus a close second.

MsCG1
12-19-2010, 10:24 PM

I agree with you here. I will go so far as to say that the dismal web browsing experience is the main reason why I decided to root. I did buy the NC to read in color, but a lot of my color reading content is through news sites and news blogs. If those pages aren't displayed properly, then it makes the reading experience less than desirable.

wxgeek96
12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Meglet,
I am having similar problems with the WiFi; glad to read the firmware update helps.

ColdSun
12-20-2010, 01:28 AM
My NC was rooted and I reset it and erased the content to bring it completely back to scratch. After that I ran the update and all went well. Then I ran the latest autonooter which ran even better than the first version of it. At the end of this whole process, I realized it wasn't too hard to get it to this point, but my Nook froze up and would not restart by holding the power button in any fashion. I left it alone for a few minutes and then plugged it in to charge. It came back on and has been working just fine since. I will say that I much prefer then newer market found in the other thread here over the one that AutoNooter installs.

MV64
12-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Hm...the website doesn't mention a marketplace, I thought they were going to roll it out in the first update?

French
12-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Has anyone lost the functionality of their "n" home button? Mine is not working at all. I'm not sure when this actually happened...whether it was after updating the original Nook software or after running autonooter...but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has the problem.

jswinden
12-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Autonooter? Here is a prime example why you never let programmers name anything! :D Come on, it sounds like a device you put your dog or cat into and press the button to have them automatically neutered! The RONCO Autonooter. :eek:

SCION
12-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Autonooter? Here is a prime example why you never let programmers name anything! :D Come on, it sounds like a device you put your dog or cat into and press the button to have them automatically neutered! The RONCO Autonooter. :eek:

RONCO :rofl:

tubemonkey
12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
The RONCO Autonooter. :eek:

Not sure which is worse; that or Nubco's Dentist-in-a-Box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstCC7T0Do4). :D

jswinden
12-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Not sure which is worse; that or Nubco's Dentist-in-a-Box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstCC7T0Do4). :D

:offtopic: My all time favorite was the home haircut kit that attached to a vacuum. You could also buy the RONCO spray on hair in order to replace any that got ripped out of your scalp!

French
12-20-2010, 12:01 PM

LMAO!!! :rofl:

And the haircut/vacuum thing...Flowbee. And they are still sold!

bilbothejust
12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to put in my two cents about the 1.0.1 update from B&N...I un-rooted and then used the sideload install package from B&N to update. I left the WiFi on all night...no real change in battery drain, and no appreciable change in connecting. It wasn't an issue before though.

Web browsing experience - dismal. It is still not very well done. The rooted NC with Dolphin or whatever your preference was many times better.

Any other things noticed - nothing that I can see and I've gone to every screen and poked and prodded and still can't see anything that would make it a compelling argument to update.

With all that, I'd say if you currently happy with your rooted NC at 1.0, then I'd keep it that way until the 2.0 release comes.

I'm just sayin...

KryptoNyte
12-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Speaking of confusion, anyone remember The Far Side comic where the dog sticks his head out of the car window on his way out the driveway and says excitedly to the neighbor dog, "Hey, Rusty, I'm going to vet to get tutored!"

slayda
12-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Speaking of confusion, anyone remember The Far Side comic where the dog sticks his head out of the car window on his way out the driveway and says excitedly to the neighbor dog, "Hey, Rusty, I'm going to vet to get tutored!"

I remember it fondly. :p:D

MsCG1
12-20-2010, 10:28 PM
The Android Market is new and updated across all Android devices, and a much better experience than the last market.
I still use Appbrain almost exclusively, but I appreciate the update.

Hm...the website doesn't mention a marketplace, I thought they were going to roll it out in the first update?

This wasn't a full OS update, just a patch to help address WiFi issues a lot of NC owners were experiencing.

RoboRay
12-21-2010, 12:01 AM

I prefer home LASIK.

http://www.lasikathome.com/foureasysteps.htm

becsta
12-22-2010, 03:16 AM
I didnt stop the auto downloaded and today my NC was upgraded. When I press the N it gives me the options of the different launchers but only the home one works. Do I need to factory reset to re root or can I just run the new nooter?

becsta
12-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Just re rooted. It was so easy this time round I wish it had been so easy the first time.

leday
12-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, this is interesting....

I had been waiting for the autoupdate for the last several days, leaving WiFi ON all this time, and nothing....nada.....zip.

When I first got my NC, I did register it with B&N, but as I was using Calibre for my book manager and downloads I did not immediately authorize my device with Adobe Digital Editions. Today, I opened ADE and connected my NC and authorized it and NOT !5 SECONDS after the ADE authorization was finished and I disconnected my NC from my computer the NC suddenly rebooted itself to the installation screen "A new software update is being installed....". I now have version 1.0.1 installed.

So...for autoupdates to work your NC has to be authorized to ADE as well? I didn't know that....

SCION
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, this is interesting....

I had been waiting for the autoupdate for the last several days, leaving WiFi ON all this time, and nothing....nada.....zip.

When I first got my NC, I did register it with B&N, but as I was using Calibre for my book manager and downloads I did not immediately authorize my device with Adobe Digital Editions. Today, I opened ADE and connected my NC and authorized it and NOT !5 SECONDS after the ADE authorization was finished and I disconnected my NC from my computer the NC suddenly rebooted itself to the installation screen "A new software update is being installed....". I now have version 1.0.1 installed.

So...for autoupdates to work your NC has to be authorized to ADE as well? I didn't know that....

Perhaps that action triggered a sync that initiated the download. For people that only plan on purchasing their content from B&N and don't have any ADE epub books to sideload and are not interested in library books, there's no reason to use Adobe Digital Editions for anything. These individuals would not receive an update if it was required. :shrug:

leday
12-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Perhaps that action triggered a sync that initiated the download. For people that only plan on purchasing their content from B&N and don't have any ADE epub books to sideload and are not interested in library books, there's no reason to use Adobe Digital Editions for anything. These individuals would not receive an update if it was required. :shrug:

(shrugs my shoulders)...you got me. Maybe it did trigger something (although I HAD been pressing the Sync icon on my NC several times with no results then either), but I dunno.....seemed like way too much of a coincidence to me as it happened virtually immediately. Can't figure it out....:xmas:

jswinden
12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Out of curiousity, why would you need ADE activation? NOOK ePub books work without it. NonDRMed PDFs seem to work in QuickOffice, though with next to no functionality. Is it required for DRMed PDFs? Sony DRMed ePubs are easily deDRMED and sideloaded, and don't require ADE on the NC either. Well, I say that since I did not connect the NC, open ADE, then activate it. I assume you have to manually do so.

leday
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Out of curiousity, why would you need ADE activation? NOOK ePub books work without it. NonDRMed PDFs seem to work in QuickOffice, though with next to no functionality. Is it required for DRMed PDFs? Sony DRMed ePubs are easily deDRMED and sideloaded, and don't require ADE on the NC either. Well, I say that since I did not connect the NC, open ADE, then activate it. I assume you have to manually do so.

I have no idea really. I don't use ADE actually. I purchase my books from several stores that sell in the epub format (mainly the Sony Store and Books On Board), strip the DRM and use Calibre. I just decided on a whim to authorize my device to the ADE program and somehow it triggered the download. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it happened immediately after I did it, when I had been waiting for days with no joy before then. Don't know why.

SCION
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
...Well, I say that since I did not connect the NC, open ADE, then activate it. I assume you have to manually do so.

Yes, correct.

zeroh
12-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Did anyone's NC get updated even after disabling it?

Seems that mine has. :eek:

I was using it just fine up to last night with a bit of reading before bed.

This morning, I unlock the screen and it keeps asking me to select the app to complete the action (home, softkeys, and zeam). Zeam won't work at all. Softkeys only lets me see the softkeys screen. the NC's Home is the only thing that seems to work. I checked the version and it says "1.0.1" :(

*SIGH* I didn't want to have to reinstall all my apps and books. :(

Autonooter here I come!

SCION
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Did anyone's NC get updated even after disabling it?

Seems that mine has. :eek:

I was using it just fine up to last night with a bit of reading before bed.

This morning, I unlock the screen and it keeps asking me to select the app to complete the action (home, softkeys, and zeam). Zeam won't work at all. Softkeys only lets me see the softkeys screen. the NC's Home is the only thing that seems to work.

*SIGH* I didn't want to have to reinstall all my apps and books. :(

Autonooter here I come!

What version does it show now?

zeroh
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
What version does it show now?

1.0.1... sorry.. i should've mentioned the version.

SCION
12-24-2010, 11:11 AM
*sigh* Mine hasn't updated. Did you use a backup manager to back up your apps and data? I know reshelving the books is a pain that can't be avoided.

zeroh
12-24-2010, 11:13 AM
and of course, the autonooter download is taking for ever... 30mins left!

not a good way to start my day.

zeroh
12-24-2010, 03:56 PM
when it rains...

I got through wiping/updating/rerooting but youtube won't work for some reason and it won't let me uninstall.

To make matters worse, my daughter managed to take the sdcard out of the reader while I stepped away and "misplaced" it. :(

KryptoNyte
12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
I have a solution for the Youtube thing .. hang on ...

SCION
12-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the YouTube is a quick fix.

KryptoNyte
12-24-2010, 04:14 PM
If Scion has something easier, do that.

I downloaded a free app called "Titanium Backup." Run it, allow access to whatever it asks for (as "superuser").

Click on "backup/restore" button. Locate Youtube near the end of the list, click on it, and then select "Wipe Data" button.

Back on out of there, and try youtube once again.

Uninstall Titanium backup if you wish.

SCION
12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Your method is fine Krypto. Titanium Backup or use a file explorer to clear data/cache.

bilbothejust
12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Your method is fine Krypto. Titanium Backup or use a file explorer to clear data/cache.

Hi Scion...I have Astro file manager but am not sure where you go to clear data/cache...is that in the system dir? or what. I'm a little thick here and your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
:blink:

SCION
12-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi Scion...I have Astro file manager but am not sure where you go to clear data/cache...is that in the system dir? or what. I'm a little thick here and your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
:blink:

Use ES File Manager (download free from Market). Access the menu and choose "Manager", then "App Manager", click on "YouTube", choose "Detail", then select "Clear Cache" from the Application Info screen.

zeroh
12-24-2010, 04:47 PM
thanks. I was trying to do that with Astro but it wouldn't list youtube under manage app. es file manager did the trick as well as replace astro.

SCION
12-24-2010, 04:50 PM
I like Astro and ES. I use Astro more.

bilbothejust
12-24-2010, 05:16 PM
:xmas:Use ES File Manager (download free from Market). Access the menu and choose "Manager", then "App Manager", click on "YouTube", choose "Detail", then select "Clear Cache" from the Application Info screen.

:xmas: :thanks:

zeroh
12-24-2010, 06:05 PM
found the sdcard! actually my wife found it among the little one's toys. I'm back in business.

Krypto, what's your opinion on Titanium Backup? Is it worth while to purchase the pro version?

RoboRay
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Krypto, what's your opinion on Titanium Backup? Is it worth while to purchase the pro version?

I'm not Krypto, but the first time you have to reinstall all of your apps one by one from Titanium Backup you'll see why it's so worth paying for the "pro" version just to get the automated reinstall of everything with one button.

KryptoNyte
12-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks, RoboRay. I've never used it for anything beyond fixing YouTube. Have you done a backup and restore with it yet on the NC, Ray? What are the implications of a utility like this in the light of a restore AFTER a B&N firmware update?

SCION
12-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I use MyBackup Pro. Is there any reason I should use Titanium instead?

zeroh
12-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Good question about the utility against updates Krypto. I'm curious to know as well.

SCION, have you used MyBackup Pro to do any restores?

SCION
12-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Good question about the utility against updates Krypto. I'm curious to know as well.

SCION, have you used MyBackup Pro to do any restores?

No, I haven't.

slayda
12-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I have My Backup Pro on my Droid. I used it once when I lost the Droid and had the insurance replace it. That was a while ago but if I remember it was fairly easy. There are two ways to backup - 1) on the SD card & 2) on-line. I, of course, had to restore from on-line but it did save a lot of time setting up that second Droid.

RoboRay
12-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks, RoboRay. I've never used it for anything beyond fixing YouTube. Have you done a backup and restore with it yet on the NC, Ray? What are the implications of a utility like this in the light of a restore AFTER a B&N firmware update?

I don't have have my NC yet (it will be a late Christmas gift, unfortunately :( ) but I've used Titanium Pro on my Android phone for several months. The first time I did a full system restore (when I started experimenting with custom ROMS) I sat there doing the tedious manual installation of each app one by one, hitting the buttons over and over again, and it took forever (I have a lot of apps). After deciding I didn't want to deal with that again, I paid for the Pro version and can now reinstall everything with the push of a button.

If you only have a few apps, it may not be a big deal to do it manually. If you've got dozens of apps, you'll probably decide the Pro version is worth it after doing it once or twice the hard way.

The Pro version also supports multiple backup copies, so you can retain different versions. This comes in real handy when an app update from the Market is buggy or removes features to encourage you to switch to a paid version. With TB Pro, you can easily roll back as many versions as you decided to keep backed up.

KryptoNyte
12-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks folks. I'm trying to envision how that would work.

So I purchase the pro version, run the backup and it probably stores one file on my SD card of the entire backup. So then let's say that I decide to re-root my device just for the heck of it. I reset the device to zip, download and update B&N to 1.0.1, then perform the latest autorooting process. I install the pro version from the market and likely activate with my purchase code, and then tell it to restore the system from the backup file on my SD card, and walla, all my old apps are installed, along with paid apps and all their affiliated codes.

Sound about right?

SCION
12-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Wouldn't it install your data and settings as well?

KryptoNyte
12-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Okay. Ahhh, I dunno.

KryptoNyte
12-24-2010, 08:32 PM
I think that somebody should do a system wipe and test this.

You know ... somebody else. ;)

SCION
12-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Stop jinxing us!

sassytiki
12-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Scion, I just received my nook color for Christmas. I am trying to get it connected to my wi-fi but need the MAC address from my nook to add to my wireless network. The problem is my nook is "stuck" on the initial wi-fi selection screen. I need to get to the settings for my nook device but can't get back to the home screen. Please help...thank you so much.

sassytiki

SCION
12-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Scion, I just received my nook color for Christmas. I am trying to get it connected to my wi-fi but need the MAC address from my nook to add to my wireless network. The problem is my nook is "stuck" on the initial wi-fi selection screen. I need to get to the settings for my nook device but can't get back to the home screen. Please help...thank you so much.

sassytiki

The only workaround (besides finding a WiFi hotspot) is to temporarily disable MAC filtering on the router. Are you able to do that?

RoboRay
12-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks folks. I'm trying to envision how that would work.

So I purchase the pro version, run the backup and it probably stores one file on my SD card of the entire backup. So then let's say that I decide to re-root my device just for the heck of it. I reset the device to zip, download and update B&N to 1.0.1, then perform the latest autorooting process. I install the pro version from the market and likely activate with my purchase code, and then tell it to restore the system from the backup file on my SD card, and walla, all my old apps are installed, along with paid apps and all their affiliated codes.

Sound about right?

More or less, yes. There are separate backup files for each app, all stored in a folder on your SD card.

When you install the Pro version, it puts a file on your SD card that will automatically give you the Pro version whenever you install the free version from the Market, so you don't even have to track down purchase codes. Just don't delete the file. :)

You also have the option of backing up and/or reinstalling just the app itself, or the app plus all it's data (such as your Angry Birds progress, so you don't have to start over after wiping everything out). There are times you'd not want to reinstall the data (due to bad settings, or something) so TB lets you decide if you want to bring back the data or not.

slayda
12-25-2010, 06:25 PM
An interesting thing happened to my NC today once I had unwrapped it and charged it again. I thought something was seriously wrong with it. Before it was wrapped up, I had manually updated it to version 1.0.1 & yes I checked the device info to assure myself that it was indeed updated. What happened was that it, for some reason, reset itself back to version 1.0.0, going through the typical "device is being updated" procedure. :smack: Now I'm back to version 1.0.0. I think I'll let it go to see if it will go through the automatic update back to version 1.0.1. :chinscratch: :blink::blink::blink:

Then I can root it.