View Full Version : Nook for Android - DYI ePub & Other Questions

mdb139
12-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Anyone out there using the Nook app for Android?

I just switched from an iPhone, where I've always used the "old" eReader app from ereader.com/Fictionwise. I tried the beta eReader program but it is REALLY rough and I presume now DOA, so after trying out many of the apps available (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, FBReader, Aldiko, and Laputo) I ended up sticking with (for the time being at least) Nook b/c (a) I think it looks the best and (b) I buy my books from B&N anyway.

My questions to anyone using the app:

* Are you able to load your own ePubs? I tried doing this and the app fails to open the book (just hangs, doesn't even crash). Interesting b/c these are simply DRM-stripped copies of the books I've bought from B&N; otherwise not modified. The app did load versions of the same books that I converted to MOBI, but the formatting was horrible (i.e., didn't honor page breaks, etc.).

* Have you figured out a way to get the screen to sleep when the app is open? My concern here is that I fell asleep reading last night and the screen never shut down.

Thanks in advance!

jasonkchapman
12-14-2010, 10:29 AM
* Are you able to load your own ePubs? I tried doing this and the app fails to open the book (just hangs, doesn't even crash). Interesting b/c these are simply DRM-stripped copies of the books I've bought from B&N; otherwise not modified. The app did load versions of the same books that I converted to MOBI, but the formatting was horrible (i.e., didn't honor page breaks, etc.).

I load Fictionwise multi-format ePub on it without any problems. I just drop them into "My Files" via USB.

The app has "Prevent Phone from Sleeping" permission and I don't know of a way to override that.

mdb139
12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
After tinkering with this for a bit, I found that if I go to the MyFiles icon and click on the book cover, it causes the hang/crash. However, if I click the dropdown arrow next to the book, select "View Details" and then click "Read Now" it works.

Obviously, not ideal, but at least I can get it to work.

On to another question: Is it me, or does the application not really honor your view settings? Seems like I can tweak the font size and margins, but it doesn't appear to honor justification or font selection (or at least it's not consistent).