Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle + Treadmill [I need some HELP!]

Not to be repetitive; however, my last accessories post didn't cover much on people using their Kindle in the gym and what kind of cover they use. So I decided to make another post... Sorry guys; however, I just really need an answer.

I'm planning on taking my Kindle to the gym. I currently want to purchase the Kindle case from Amazon; however, those hinges looks like they can be a problem if I put it on the treadmill. Due to the fact that the treadmill constantly moves a little, I think it can create some problem for the hinges in the long run. Not only that, the Kindle does not seem very well supported on that cover. However, I may be wrong!

So, currently I'm looking at M-Edge Go! cover, Amazon cover, some kind of silicone cover, or this.

I'm not sure which one to buy! I really need help... I really want the amazon cover; however, I'm just worried that it might break the kindle. Does anyone have personal experience with their kindle on the treadmill? Also which cover do you guys recommend. And is there any nice/cheap silicone case for the kindle? (I want a tight fit) Thanks so much guys!
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
Personally for me, I like a case with padding so if I accidentally drop it, something could absorb the shock.

As for gym-reading, I've never thought of bringing my kindle to the gym. But based on the fact that I like padding, and the Amazon Kindle Case doesn't have much padding (although it covers all parts of the kindle), I wouldn't go with the Amazon case. Plus, like you said, the hinges may be a problem. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the hinges breaking the 3rd-gen Kindle, but I'm afraid of it.

This might not fit your treadmill idea but I use a slip cover. When my kindle's traveling I have it in the case for protection and when I'm reading, it's naked. I like how the kindle is small and feel that a case may add bulk to it (like a silicone case).
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I use this on the rare times I actually exercise. You'll be able to use whatever cover you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Treadmi...2206460&sr=1-2

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
I have the leather kindle cover with the light, and it's stiff enough to stay open when I read at the gym. There's a little ledge on our stairmasters and treadmills, and I just prop it on there. There aren't any hinges to speak of.

If you sweat up a storm, you might want one of those waterproof cases though. *g* Or keep a towel nearby to wipe your finger before turning the page.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
So the normal Kindle case with light won't get messed up by the little movements of the treadmill. I thought the treadmills movement might somehow ruin the kindle in the long run. And when I say hinges, I'm talking about the ones where you snap onto your Kindle.
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I prefer to listen to music on a treadmill but even so I wouldn't want to be fiddling with turning pages while I run so you might want to try out reading hands-free with your Kindle:

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/09/hands...e-reading.html

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 01-17-2011 at 01:50 PM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I use the Oberon on the treadmill, bike and elliptical. sometimes it needs to be open flat, and sometimes having the cover bent back. I also don't use the hinges, just the corner straps
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Wow. You all are brave! I have dropped my iPod too many times on the treadmill while pushing buttons that I wouldn't dare exercise with my Kindle. I guess I'm too clumsy. Instead I listen to audiobooks while I exercise.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Wow. You all are brave! I have dropped my iPod too many times on the treadmill while pushing buttons that I wouldn't dare exercise with my Kindle. I guess I'm too clumsy. Instead I listen to audiobooks while I exercise.
Yes, audiobooks or music is the way to go. My luck I'd knock it of the machine and break it, first time out.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I use this on the rare times I actually exercise. You'll be able to use whatever cover you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Treadmi...2206460&sr=1-2

Part of the description says:
Quote:
You'd have to fun it over with a car to break it!
It took me a while to work out what it meant...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I've had my K3 in the amazon cover while walking on a treadmill, and I accidentally knocked it down. I used my foot to partially break the fall. There was no damage to the Kindle, but I think one of the hinges got bent out of place, and it is slightly more difficult to insert the Kindle into the cover because the hinges don't line up perfectly. Personally, I wouldn't trust the Amazon cover for walking on the treadmill. You are correct about your assumption that the hinges would be the weak link.
I agree with one of the above posters, that a treadmill book-holder is very helpful. Although, I must note that I had my kindle in the above-posted book holder when it fell, so it's not a perfect solution.
Currently, when reading on a treadmill, I use the kindle naked (without a case) on the plastic book-holder, with a rope tied around the top of the Kindle and all the way around the book-holder and treadmill display. With the rope, it would be very difficult for the kindle to fall over. Also, I am expecting a silicone case to arrive tomorrow, and I'm hoping that the silicone will be enough to help soften any falls. If you search amazon for "kindle silicone cover" you can see some good ones.
As a final note, the treadmill I use has the book-holder way too low, so when I was walking and reading I always had to have my head down, and it was very bad for my posture. I used a couple of thin pieces of scrap wood to make a higher ledge for the book holder, and now I can walk while keeping my head high. It helps a ton with the posture. The only reason why I'm posting this is because if anyone else is having problems with the book-holder being too low on their treadmill, I just want you to know that it is possible and easy to create a modification to fix that problem. But, I am using a treadmill at home, and it sounds like OP only uses the treadmill at a gym, so maybe such a solution wouldn't be so applicable there.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Play Safe ... give up going to the Gym ... It's safer for your Kindle

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Play Safe ... give up going to the Gym ... It's safer for your Kindle
I agree. It's safer for humans, too. A lot of people get injured at the gym.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
(giggles)

This is going to be totally not helpful but my trainer will kill me in my next work out if I don't say it...

According to my trainer, if you can read a book or talk on your cell phone while working out, you are not working hard enough. He told me pretty directly that if he ever saw me with a book or cell phone at the gym that he would make sure my next session with him would be very, very painful.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I guess I'm just not getting it. I go to two different gyms and both gym's treadmills have a ledge for books and magazines. I have never dropped my K3 device while they sit on these magazine ledges. I have dropped my music player only because the music player is tethered to me via the headphones, so my body motion usually end up pulling the music player to the ground. Also if the K3 is opened for reading it does not seam as though any padding will really help because the fall will be the luck of the draw as to how the device will land. I know that when I dropped my blackberry phone on the asphalt it must have bounced 5 times. There was no area of the smartphone that didn't meet the asphalt, causing all kind of bruises and scratches, and that is a lighter device. With a K3 gravity is just not on your side so unless the device is in a slip case, some type of skin, or the Amazon case is secured with the bungy cord the device will probably receive some scratches and/or damage if it it should fall. I would probably agree that the hinge system is probably a weak point if the device should fall, although I have nothing to support this opinion

Last edited by duckeedoug; 12-13-2010 at 01:33 PM.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote