View Full Version : No " or ' in this book!!!

emonti8384
12-11-2010, 11:54 PM
So, I bought this book (from Sony) and all of the quotation marks and apostrophe's are shown as ?. When I converted into lrf and started reading it nothing is there at all. For apostrophe's it just skips a space; let s. Can I/how do I fix this?

theducks
12-12-2010, 12:38 AM
So, I bought this book (from Sony) and all of the quotation marks and apostrophe's are shown as ?. When I converted into lrf and started reading it nothing is there at all. For apostrophe's it just skips a space; let s. Can I/how do I fix this?

Those are "Curly Quotes" and a slanted apostrophe (Possibly CP1252)
If the original document did not specify the code page used.
If you convert with Calibre, there is a place on the INPUT Conversion section
to type in a Code page to use. (there are hints in th Balloon help)

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Wait, I've never done this before, is there a way you can provide me step-by-step instructions?

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Okay, so go to Convert, Look and Feel, Input Charachter Enoding(?) and then what?

theducks
12-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Okay, so go to Convert, Look and Feel, Input Charachter Enoding(?) and then what?

Type in the Encoding to try. The hints give some examples, by CP1252 is a good choice. OOPS! The Linux version No longer has a CP list in the hint

The convert from the Original Source (top Left setting).
Look at the results,

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I dunno, I tried putting CP1252 in the Input Character Encoding and it didn't do anything. I don't know how to do this.

frabjous
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
If you bought it from Sony, isn't the file DRMed? How can you convert it at all?

If by "creative means", did you check the original file you actually downloaded to see if it looks OK? Or is the problem only in the LRF?

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 01:04 PM
I looked at it in it's original form (DRMed epub) on my reader and in the Sony library and instead of the quotations and the apostrophes missing it had them in as ? marks.

I strip my books and then convert them to LRF-hate the look of epubs *yucky face*, but I'd rather read it in epub than not at all, lol.

frabjous
12-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Seems to me like you ought to complain to Sony, then.

That isn't to say you shouldn't keep exploring ways of changing the encoding in the files to see if it helps (try all the various options calibre gives), but if the source is screwed up, it's going to be hard to figure out how it ought to be.

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Seems to me like you ought to complain to Sony, then.

That isn't to say you shouldn't keep exploring ways of changing the encoding in the files to see if it helps (try all the various options calibre gives), but if the source is screwed up, it's going to be hard to figure out how it ought to be.

Lol, I don't know how to explore ways in the first place, that's what I'm asking. I need, like, a how-to dummy guide. How do I find out the source? I'm a girl that buys my books, converts them, and reads. THAT'S IT. I have absolutely zero idea how to do anything else.

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I usually stick to what I know best, lol.

theducks
12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Lol, I don't know how to explore ways in the first place, that's what I'm asking. I need, like, a how-to dummy guide. How do I find out the source? I'm a girl that buys my books, converts them, and reads. THAT'S IT. I have absolutely zero idea how to do anything else.

The "Source" is the dealer that Sold you the book. (It is the dealers job to deal with the supplier)

Your book is "Defective" if the punctuation does not display correctly on the Device it was sold to work with.

What happens after you do things to the file, is "your fault" ;)

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes! Thank you! I'm gonna go to the library :p

emonti8384
12-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Talked to Sony, in process of contacting publisher. I guess I'm not the only person that has called about this book

theducks
12-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Talked to Sony, in process of contacting publisher. I guess I'm not the only person that has called about this book

:thumbsup: