View Full Version : Nook color Tips and Tricks

boswd
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I thought it was be nice to have a thread for us to share some tips and ticks that we have discovered using the Nook color or have seen from other forums, websites etc.

so if you have one please post it

Previous Screen/Return :

Along the bottom of the screen there is a black border. In that bottom black border you'll see from right to left the time; battery icon, then the menu arrow; then the reading now icon which looks like an opened book.

along that border swipe your finger from right to left, with a nice simple graze. Anyone who owns the orignal nook, the motion is identical to the page swiping motion.

You finger should be in motion before it grazes the screen, otherwise it may trigger the quick setting dialog box.

this will bring you back back the previous screen you were at. This works very nice.

I must give credit to someone on the Barns and noble nook forum.

SCION
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
You don't need to sign out of Pandora for the app to quit. Simply pause the song before leaving the app. After a few minutes of being paused the app will quit on its own. When you return to Pandora you'll be logged in and on the same song that you paused. Just press play and resume.

boswd
12-02-2010, 11:07 AM
ahh very cool thanks SCION

SCION
12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Tired of the stock wallpapers?

I got this link from another forum:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...oads/date/any/

The person suggested using 1024 x 1024 iPad from the dropdown menu. It looks great. Assuming you're on a computer, click download, the image will open in another window, right click on it and save it to a folder on your computer.

Now transfer the images to the NOOKcolor. Place them in the "Wallpaper" folder which is located in the "My Files" folder.

Bookworm_Girl
12-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Here is one of my favorites. To capture a screenshot, press the Home "n" button and the minus "-" Volume button at the same time. A camera icon will appear in the lower left corner status bar indicating a Notification that says "Screenshot captured". Click on the notification and it will launch the image in the gallery. A copy of the image is saved to your Library in the folder /media/Screenshots in png format.

Tip: it just needs a quick simultaneous press so don't hold the volume button for too long or it can affect the image.

SCION
12-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Fab! :thanks:

Bookworm_Girl
12-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Here is another tip that was not intuitive to me. When reading a PDF inside the Quickoffice viewer, swipe your finger "up" to move the page forward and swipe your finger "down" to move the page backward.

It took me awhile to figure out that it is not like the book viewer where you swipe left and right (or tap) to change pages!

Lastblade
12-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Is there a quick shortcut to go back to home screen?

SCION
12-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Is there a quick shortcut to go back to home screen?

Do you mean besides pressing the "n"?

ImogenRose
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Thank you!

Lastblade
12-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Do you mean besides pressing the "n"?

LOL, I totally forgot that button since I don't use it. :rofl::thanks:

SCION
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
LOL, I totally forgot that button since I don't use it. :rofl::thanks:

;) I tried to respond in a polite way.

Lastblade
12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Appreciate It!

;) I tried to respond in a polite way.

boswd
12-04-2010, 06:07 PM
when connecting to the computer make sure it is out of of sleep mode and unlocked
otherwise the computer won't recongnize it.

Rebo
12-05-2010, 12:00 AM
This is the thread for encoding DVD videos to MP4 format. It helped me a lot and could be useful for others.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107571&page=4

Zoshka
12-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I tried out the read in-store today at BN, and I got stuck after selecting a book to read and pressing the 'in store' button for the book. It just froze and did nothing. I finally tried clicking the arrow at the bottom of the screen, which immediately brought up another dialogue box telling me I had an hour of reading, and from there I was good to go. Not a very intuitive process, but well worth the free reading (if you can find a cafe table or chair not taken by students doing homework or laptop surfers).

SCION
12-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Good tip. That could be a stumbling block for sure!

highvista
12-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Here's a re-post from another thread of something I ran into that should be helpful...

I'm trying watch a video I converted using Handbrake, but when I pause and leave the video and return later, it reverts to the beginning of the video. Does anyone know of a way to get it to resume where I left it? I could use the scroll bar to try to find where I left it, but then I have to remember the time in the movie and such.

If you pause the video and press the "n" button, rather than using the "Back" button, your position in the video will be remembered the next time you play it. But only the position in the last video is remembered. B&N really needs to add a full-function video player that recalls position for every video. This is standard procedure for Android phone apps--at least for the ones I've used.

One caveat. It seems that if you do what I said above and then access a different video, sometimes the player will come up with the saved position displayed for the new video. Using the back button here and then re-entering the new video seems to clear this--and forget your position in the previous video, of course. :smack:

French
12-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I hope this doesn't make me look stupid...but I couldn't figure out how to browse free books. The nook guy at Barnes & Noble showed me that while in the store application do a search for 0.00.

boswd
12-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Go to "Shop" in the search field you type in 0.00. or on the website under nookbooks there is an actual title for Free books.

It's not a stupid question at all.

SCION
12-05-2010, 10:54 PM
deleted

jswinden
12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Sometimes it is easier or more desirable to create a quick PDF to view on the NC rather than creating an ePub or some other format. I had such a case today and played around with MS Word to find some good page size, font, and margin settings. Here is what I found to work pretty well:

Page Size: 3.4" x 5.5"

Margins: 0.1" all around

Font Size: Set to your preference. I used Times New Roman at 10pt. I think it is a bit large, so I probably could have used 9pt.

I created the DOCX file then exported it to a PDF.

I attached two screenshots of the resulting file as displayed on my NC. One uses 10pt Times New Roman and the second uses 9pt Arial Rounded MT Bold.

EDIT: I incorrectly stated that font sizes but have edited them accordingly.

SCION
12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow, what a practical tip! Thanks.

Bookworm_Girl
12-11-2010, 09:00 PM
To continue the topic of PDF's, some people (like me) are picky about book covers. When PDF's are side-loaded in the "Books" folder, they show a generic "book" icon. When PDF's are side-loaded in the "Documents" folder, they show a generic "office document" icon.

SCION
12-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Question from another thread:

I downloaded a couple books from the library. They show up in "My Files" instead of Books... HOW do I get them to go into "Books" from the Adobe Digital Editions instead of "My Files"?

It can't be done from Adobe Digital Editions. Once the book is on the NOOKColor, press and hold the book, then select "Move to Shelf". Choose the shelf you want. I have a shelf called "Library Books".

RockdaMan
12-26-2010, 01:00 PM
bump...

Any new ones?

emt
12-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I noticed that when using a launcher (Zeam, ADW, ...) the little book icon will not return you to the last book read - well I found a workaround:

There's a new Soft Key app here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888513

I replaced SoftKeys 3.0 with this - it works very well and even shows up in the Nook Color home screen. Now, I use Zeam but I made "Home" my default launcher using "Home Switcher". The neat thing is that when using the new softkey app, you can popup a small task mgr/launcher and thus can go back and forth between Zeam and Home.

The amazing thing (to me) is that even while in Zeam the little book icon returns me to my last read book!

There are a few small niggles with the new soft key app but, IMHO, it works better than SoftKey.

botyok
12-27-2010, 12:04 AM
hi, this is my first ever post. unfortunately, my nook color is going back to B&N for a replacement. The power button is faulty. Anyway, i just thought I'd share a tip that I accidentally discovered. Mine was an unrooted NC. But double tapping at the upper part of the screen auto arranges the books on the home screen.

Bookworm_Girl
12-27-2010, 01:18 AM
hi, this is my first ever post. unfortunately, my nook color is going back to B&N for a replacement. The power button is faulty. Anyway, i just thought I'd share a tip that I accidentally discovered. Mine was an unrooted NC. But double tapping at the upper part of the screen auto arranges the books on the home screen.

Thanks for the tip and welcome to MobileRead! Hope your replacement NC is better. You can double-tap anywhere on the home screen to rearrange the books (not just the corner). Also I will add that it's much quicker to change your background image if you press and hold your finger on the Home Screen and then select Set Wallpaper rather than going through the Gallery Menus.

KryptoNyte
12-27-2010, 01:36 AM
How many ways are there to turn this thing on or off? When I first received/charged it, I hit the power button once and sat there for a bit before realizing that I had to hold it down for a few seconds to get it to power up.

Turning it off, my understanding is you again hold the power key down until the screen goes fuzzy and then soft-key the shutdown, or you can hold the power key constant right through the fuzzy screen until it shuts down.

Is anyone aware of any soft-keys on the screen (or desktop for rooted users) that will do a shutdown with just a quick press and confirm?

botyok
12-27-2010, 01:42 AM
@Bookworm_Girl: Thanks for correcting my tip. I really hope my new NC won't have anymore issues. But still, I got to say, it's a beautiful device. There's nothing in the market now that I can compare it with.

cdawg
12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I just got one for Christmas and it's a very interesting little device! I found this thread looking for some tips and it's been totally useful!

I found that if you double tap the n on the homescreen, it'll open your last book where you left off. Therefore, if you're in an app or on the web if you triple tap the n, you'll go back to your book.

boswd
12-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I just got one for Christmas and it's a very interesting little device! I found this thread looking for some tips and it's been totally useful!

I found that if you double tap the n on the homescreen, it'll open your last book where you left off. Therefore, if you're in an app or on the web if you triple tap the n, you'll go back to your book.

ahh very cool, thanks for sharing.

Kymmmm
12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Is there any way to set the reading font to a particular size and orientation and for the NC to open all books in the font and orientation? I can't seem to bring up a menu by holding my finger on the screen center.

ta
Kymmm

SCION
12-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Since we can't place sideloaded content onto the homescreen here's a way to gain quick access to several books/periodicals/docs you're reading without using the homescreen drop down list.

Do this after you have created all of your shelves.

Access My Shelves. Sort by Most Recent. Create a new shelf, Current Reads or something similar. Place all of the books/periodicals/docs that you're currently reading on this shelf. Your current reads always appear as the first shelf, making it easy for you to grab from your current reading pile.

:D

If you have to add other shelves down the road, thus making Current Reads no longer the most recent one, delete the shelf and start the above process again. Don't forget to sort by Most Recent.

Edit: Someone has a twist on this. Much better than what I said to do.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1331830&postcount=48

jswinden
12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Is there any way to set the reading font to a particular size and orientation and for the NC to open all books in the font and orientation? I can't seem to bring up a menu by holding my finger on the screen center.

ta
Kymmm

As far as I know, the only time landscape mode works for books is when you read a children's book or a PDF. Unfortunately you cannot view ePubs in landscape. I wish the NC would allow a two page landscape view like the Sony PRS950 does. The 7" screen is perfect for that view.

ShawnE
12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I got a beautiful wallpaper from Digitalblasphemy.com They have some freebies and have
various sized pics. I love this guy's stuff - go look

As to what I'd like to figure out.. I bought a book on B&N but since it is in their "cloud"
I don't have it on my harddrive.. not in Caliber... not in ADE.. don't like that. Think
I'll buy/download/sideload books.

If I'm wrong on that let me know - I'd like to be wrong!

Holding off on rooting until 2.2 comes out - supposedly in January - which means in March

Oh and I bought capacitive stylus for the Ipad - works on any finger touch screen - made turning pages easier and without smudges.
Reading Beekeepers Apprentice

zartemis
12-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Is anyone aware of any soft-keys on the screen (or desktop for rooted users) that will do a shutdown with just a quick press and confirm?

Do you mean a full shutdown (power off)?

If so, I use Quick Boot (http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-boot-%28reboot%29/com.siriusapplications.quickboot)

It gives both reboot and shutdown options (and recovery, but that's not useful until further hacking allows full nandroid access). I put the app on my homescreen, one click to launch the app, and one click to choose option. No further confirm unless you configure it to do so.

If you do use this, use the settings to hide the recovery and bootloader options.

SCION
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you mean a full shutdown (power off)?

If so, I use Quick Boot (http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-boot-%28reboot%29/com.siriusapplications.quickboot)

It gives both reboot and shutdown options (and recovery, but that's not useful until further hacking allows full nandroid access). I put the app on my homescreen, one click to launch the app, and one click to choose option. No further confirm unless you configure it to do so.

If you do use this, use the settings to hide the recovery and bootloader options.

Thanks. Will try.

slayda
12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
I got a beautiful wallpaper from Digitalblasphemy.com They have some freebies and have
various sized pics. I love this guy's stuff - go look

As to what I'd like to figure out.. I bought a book on B&N but since it is in their "cloud"
I don't have it on my harddrive.. not in Caliber... not in ADE.. don't like that. Think
I'll buy/download/sideload books.

If you have a PC (rather than a Mac) you can get 'Nook for PC' & DL your 'B&N cloud' books to the PC that way. They end up in your c:\users\{YourLoginName}\My Documents\My Barnes & Noble Books\{YourRegisteredEmail}

I had the 'Nook for PC' before I got my NC.

Oh and I bought capacitive stylus for the Ipad - works on any finger touch screen - made turning pages easier and without smudges.

Which stylus did you buy. I got these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VU3504/ref=oss_product) on Amazon but the tips don't swipe very well. I got them for my Droid because when the weather is cool & dry, my fingers sometimes don't do very well on the capacitive touch screen. It (the stylus) works OK for touching though.

Bookworm_Girl
12-31-2010, 07:38 PM
You can also download copies of your books for backup from your account's "My Nook Library" on the BN website. Each book in your library has a "Download" button, even samples too. With a Mac using the Safari web browser, the default download format is PDB files which are not compatible with the NOOKcolor. To change the download format to EPUB files, follow these steps:

1) In Safari, go to Preferences > Advanced. Then check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar". You will now see "Develop" in the menu bar between the Bookmarks and Window menus.
2) From the menu bar, select Develop > User Agent > Internet Explorer 8.0. This effectively makes your browser appear to be IE rather than Safari to the Barnes and Noble website. It will think you are on a PC rather than a Mac.
3) Now download your books at the BN website, and they will be EPUB format.

ShawnE
12-31-2010, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Which stylus did you buy. I got these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VU3504/ref=oss_product) on Amazon but the tips don't swipe very well. I got them for my Droid because when the weather is cool & dry, my fingers sometimes don't do very well on the capacitive touch screen. It (the stylus) works OK for touching though.[/QUOTE]

I got Targus Stylus for Apple ipad. the "stylus" is a bit misleading. The point needs to be roughly the size of a finger not a pen. The hot spot is too large for a pen size stylus. Picked it up at officemax for 15 bucks

hope that helps

NookBookLover
01-05-2011, 11:32 PM
You don't need to sign out of Pandora for the app to quit. Simply pause the song before leaving the app. After a few minutes of being paused the app will quit on its own. When you return to Pandora you'll be logged in and on the same song that you paused. Just press play and resume.

Thanks, that's great to know.:D

kilmar
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Don't laugh at me too much, but I didn't realize that instead of swiping, you could just lightly tap the right side of the page to advance a page and lightly tape the left side of the page to go back. That's what happens when you don't read the manual. It is in the manual, I assume?

marzvix
01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
How to write accented letters in nookcolor virtual keyboard?

Simple: just "long-press" (press and keep pressed) each virtual key. ( , , etc..)

It will show accented characters available, so pick one.

SCION
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Simple: just "long-press" (press and keep pressed) each virtual key. ( , , etc..)

Very helpful!!!

boswd
01-12-2011, 09:21 AM

that is very cool. thanks

love2read1357
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Since we can't place sideloaded content onto the homescreen here's a way to gain quick access to several books/periodicals/docs you're reading without using the homescreen drop down list.

Do this after you have created all of your shelves.

Access My Shelves. Sort by Most Recent. Create a new shelf, Current Reads or something similar. Place all of the books/periodicals/docs that you're currently reading on this shelf. Your current reads always appear as the first shelf, making it easy for you to grab from your current reading pile.

:D

If you have to add other shelves down the road, thus making Current Reads no longer the most recent one, delete the shelf and start the above process again. Don't forget to sort by Most Recent.

I sort my shelves by title but any shelves I want to keep at the top just add a symbol in front of the shelf title. So instead of Currently Reading it looks like * Currently Reading. Adding the symbol first keeps it on top no matter what the first letter is. Therefore there is no need to delete a shelf and start over when you want to keep it on top.

This method works very well for Kindle Collections as well.

SCION
01-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I sort my shelves by title but any shelves I want to keep at the top just add a symbol in front of the shelf title. So instead of Currently Reading it looks like * Currently Reading. Adding the symbol first keeps it on top no matter what the first letter is. Therefore there is no need to delete a shelf and start over when you want to keep it on top.

This method works very well for Kindle Collections as well.

So glad you shared this! I'm no longer using the stock library, but this is good to know regardless. :thanks:

trj121
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I am new but wanted to say thanks for all the great tips. I am using many of them and plan to try a few more. This site is great, long time reader first time poster! Thanks again

sunseeker
01-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I have consulted the NC User Guide (which leaves a lot to be desired), the 'Net and still can't quite get the hang of things. So, at the risk of asking dumb questions here goes...How do I get my PDF documents, pictures, etc. to the Nook? I have Adobe Digital Open, I see my device, but all I've been able to do thus far is download library books and return them. Also, I am reading Eat, Pray, Love. When I hold my finger over a word I want to look up the definition there is no response. In other books it works just fine. Is this function not supported in all books? I am getting very frustrated. Normally I have no problems figuring out computer issues.

love2read1357
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Sunseeker,

It's not a dumb question, we are all trying to learn together. I have a Windows Vista computer so I don't know if this changes with a Mac.

The only thing I use Adobe Digital Editions for is adding books (EPub's or PDF books) onto my NC. If you want to add other things like pictures, wallpapers, etc... just use your Nook USB cord and plug your Nook into your computer. When you turn your Nook on you should have a new window pop-up showing your NC is connected and asking what you want to do. I choose the option Open Folder and View Files. You should see a Folder called My Files. Open that and you can see where you would add pictures and wallpapers. You can just open the file on your computer where your pictures, PDF's etc... are stored and either copy and paste into the correct Nook folder or drag and drop the file.

I also add PDF's that are in the form of Newletters with lots of articles and pictures. I just directly copy those into the Documents folder on my Nook.

If you have something that would look better if it was converted into a different format (like an unprotected PDF to and EPub) I use a free program called Calibre.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Once it is converted you will be able to add to your Nook when you hook your Nook to the computer with Calibre open. You should see an option at the top of Calibre to Send to Device.

Make sure to close Calibre and then safely remove the Nook from your computer. Don't just unplug it.

To find it on your Nook, go into Library then My Files then either Books, Pictures or Documents etc. You can also go into My Shelves and click on Edit. You should be able to see any PDF's or books and add them to a shelf to find then easier.

wxgeek96
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
On a Mac, the Nook shows up as a disk called "media" (on Desktop and in Finder) when you plug in the USB and turn the NC on. Otherwise, it works the same as love2read1357 described.

sunseeker
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Thank you so much for the help. After submitting this post a light bulb went on and I finally figured I should close ADE, plug the NC into the computer and find the files/pictures I wanted. In XP the device just showed up as Media in the my computer window. It didn't open so I successfully copy and pasted pictures directly onto the device, but of course they are in the wrong place. I assumed they would automatically go into the Gallery, but they did not. So now I have to figure out how to rearrange all the pics I added. I am a professional embroiderer. Oh, to have had this device a year ago! What a boon to my business to show my sample pictures in living color when I visit customers. It will be great if I can get the pics into the correct folder. I will work on that today. I am glad I didn't download music yet.

sunseeker
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I am reading Eat, Pray, Love on the NC. When I place my finger over a word to look it up the menu does not appear. It works in other books however. Are we unable to use the function in certain books? Again, thanks for your help!

love2read1357
01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure about BN books, I would think you could use the look up feature on all of those. But I have had some library books that I couldn't use the feature. I'm not sure if it works with library EPUB and possibly not with library PDF's. Most likely it was just something with that book.

I've also noticed on some library books that I can't change the font or background color.

So far every BN book has been fine though.

anmanwar@aol.com
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi all, I just got a new Nook Color January 5th. I have managed to transfer some music ( itunes) files and some pictures from my computer to my nook color. I purchased a sd card and would love some help on how to put books I purchase on my sd card so I can trade back and forth with my sister who also has a nook color. We both purchased the same e reader thinking we could share books and then found out how limited the lend me books are with B & N. thanks!!! Annette (michigan)

WillRockwell
01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I've had my NC just a few days but have become a total convert. I bought it because we'll be living in Venice Italy the entire month of March, and I couldn't figure out how to take enough books and still leave room for socks. I am loading my Nook with books from the New York Public Library and the free and .99 cent books from BN, including several Venice travel guides. I've discovered that sometimes my finger is too cold to turn the pages with a touch, but a tap will do the job nicely.

harryzee
02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Pardon me if this has been asked and answered, but is there any way to remove the "Lend Me, New, Pre Order, and Download" banners from the upper right corner of the books displayed across the bottom of the NC screen?

I have included Pre Order and Download as there are some books where they stay even after that function is performed!

I don't lend and I know what is new so I find this more than annoying.

Thanks

Harry Zee

SCION
02-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Pardon me if this has been asked and answered, but is there any way to remove the "Lend Me, New, Pre Order, and Download" banners from the upper right corner of the books displayed across the bottom of the NC screen?

I have included Pre Order and Download as there are some books where they stay even after that function is performed!

I don't lend and I know what is new so I find this more than annoying.

Thanks

Harry Zee

No, there isn't a way to remove the banners. It would be nice if there was an option to show/hide banners.

harryzee
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I was afraid that might be the answer...thanks for clarifying it.

Imagine this dialogue at the pre launch NC software development table:

"Hey, let's put some banners on the books that don't always function as they should, that most readers won't want and will find annoying, and then not give them an option to turn the function off!

Why waste time on a useful (and simple) notepad feature that almost everyone would want and use when we could do this instead!!"

Yes, I know the above is really cynical.

Harry Zee

tmwwjd
02-09-2011, 03:04 AM
I keep seeing people mention rooted. What does that mean?

afv011
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I keep seeing people mention rooted. What does that mean?

Rooting means getting superuser privileges (it's jailbreaking), so you can modify the device and install apps as you please. There are plenty of threads on how to do so, should you wish to try.

rhaya96
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
When you root (jailbreak) the device does that mean you've completely voided the warranty on the device or is there a way to go back? Also, if one chooses to root the device will it still be able to be updated when the new version is finally available? (I just got my device this week and am trying to weigh my options)

Care
02-11-2011, 02:24 PM
When you root (jailbreak) the device does that mean you've completely voided the warranty on the device or is there a way to go back? Also, if one chooses to root the device will it still be able to be updated when the new version is finally available? (I just got my device this week and am trying to weigh my options)

After you root there is a way to flash back to factory settings so you can update it to the newest stock version or re-root. Technically if you didn't flash back to the factory settings your warranty would be voided. I bought an accidental damage warranty from Square Trade for $30 and they don't care what you do to your device.

Also, if you install a app called Clockwork Recovery I don't think you can flash back to stock. I think you have to do something else to get there. All this info is in the Nook Developers sub-forum. :D

rhaya96
02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks. I bought that 2-year warranty and I'd hate to think I wasted $50. I might look into that Square Trade deal though. Thanks

I'm a gadget lover so it will only be a matter of time before I start "tinkering" :-)

jimlfitz
02-13-2011, 09:49 AM
How do you get rid of the 'sample' books that you download to check out and then decide you don't want the book.

Bookworm_Girl
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
How do you get rid of the 'sample' books that you download to check out and then decide you don't want the book.

You need to delete them in your Nook Library by logging into your BN account on your computer. Hit the sync button on your NC if it doesn't show up to refresh your books. It would be nice if you could delete them directly from your NC.

jimlfitz
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
You need to delete them in your Nook Library by logging into your BN account on your computer. Hit the sync button on your NC if it doesn't show up to refresh your books. It would be nice if you could delete them directly from your NC.
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

acorrow
02-18-2011, 02:19 AM
How do I erase some of these books I've Downloaded? At this rate i'll fill my nook in no time and with all this extra stuff I've gotten by accident its getting difficult to find my new downloads.

Bookworm_Girl
02-18-2011, 03:01 AM
How do I erase some of these books I've Downloaded? At this rate i'll fill my nook in no time and with all this extra stuff I've gotten by accident its getting difficult to find my new downloads.

I assume you mean books you've downloaded from B&N? Go to Library > books and find the book that you want to get rid. Hold your finger on it and select "Archive" from the pop-up menu.

Whenever you want to re-download the book, go to Library > my shelves. Scroll through your shelves and find the one called "Archived". Find the book that you want to re-download. Hold your finger on it and select "Unarchive" from the pop-up menu.

JadeCat
02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi All, This is my first post here.

I got my Nook Color a week ago and am really excited about it. I've d/l'd books from BN just fine. I installed ADE yesterday and d/l'd several Adobe free books from that site (where I got ADE) and was able to move them into the NC using ADE just fine. But I was not able to move a book that was offered for free, Einstein's Shutter, from this site: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/10794

I clicked on this format: Epub (open industry format, good for Stanza reader, others), chose "OPEN" and it opened into ADE, and I could actually read the book within ADE, but when I went to library mode and tried to move it to the NC, it was no longer visible as a book on ADE. I'd sure like to know what to do to get this into my NC.

Thanks for any suggestions.

JadeCat
02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi again,

I've just found an answer that worked for me in the FaceBook Nook Discussion forum. Here it is for anyone else that might have the same problem:

(From Sarah)
"When I sideload content from places like sony, smashwords, etc, I have to manually import it into ADE. (these are all epub files.) first I download the books to my computer, into a file folder I've created for ebooks. then go to the dropdown "library" menu and choose "add item to library". open that ebook folder, select the new books, and you should be good to go.

This usually works for me when a book does not automatically open in adobe, like books from the public library do."

RAH
03-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I have a simple question about the non-rooted Color Nook's browser. On the address line, is there a way to move the cursor without removing the characters that are already there? I mean, for example, if I type in a long address and see that I made a typo in the middle of it somewhere, the only way I can see to fix it is to backspace back to the bad character, erasing characters as I go. With a regular PC, of course, you can use the arrow keys to go back without deleting characters.

nkd431
03-28-2011, 05:18 PM
It is a touchscreen so you can touch in between the letters in question and then delete or backspace as required.

Carriebear
05-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Okay, people might already know how to do this, but I didn't, and I figure maybe someone else might benefit from this. I didn't see this in any of the previous messages, so sorry if this is repetitive. Also, I discovered this on the Nook Color boards, so credit goes to juanitasJS there.

1. To create a playlist on Nook, when you access your music through the app or through the sdcard or files menu, hold your finger for a few seconds on the song you want to use for a playlist. It'll pop up a menu that with options: Play, Delete, Add to Playlist. Select Add to Playlist. The meny choices are Current or New. Select New, then type in the name of the playlist. Boom, playlist created. Then just press for a few seconds the song(s) you want to add to that playlist, and select Add to Playlist - Name of the Playlist you created.

2. To change the order of songs in a playlist, when you have the playlist loaded, touch your finger to the left or right side of the songs list, and an icon with little lines on it pops up. You can drag the songs into whatever order you wish. :) This doesn't work, of course, if you have a shuffle mode on.

Hope this helps :D

nccjones
05-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Turning off the nook color. This has probably been posted but there are so many posts! I was having such a hard time turning off this device that I started to just randomly hit buttons after I hit the power button (wouldn't always fade and get the power down), that I hit the "n" button right after the power button and the power down window always comes up.

xokitkatxo
05-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Having my movie or video reset after pausing, and going to another applications is really frustrating me. I tried the suggestion below, but it still goes back to the beginning, has anyone else had success with this, or can suggest another option?

Here's a re-post from another thread of something I ran into that should be helpful...

If you pause the video and press the "n" button, rather than using the "Back" button, your position in the video will be remembered the next time you play it. But only the position in the last video is remembered. B&N really needs to add a full-function video player that recalls position for every video. This is standard procedure for Android phone apps--at least for the ones I've used.

One caveat. It seems that if you do what I said above and then access a different video, sometimes the player will come up with the saved position displayed for the new video. Using the back button here and then re-entering the new video seems to clear this--and forget your position in the previous video, of course. :smack:

bugjd
05-21-2011, 12:18 AM
So is there a way to "stick" the address bar/back button/settings button to the top of the browser window as you scroll down? I can't seem to figure it out, and so i have to scroll to the top of the window when i want to go back or search from the address bar. Thanks.

kimicatt
05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Sometimes it is easier or more desirable to create a quick PDF to view on the NC rather than creating an ePub or some other format. I had such a case today and played around with MS Word to find some good page size, font, and margin settings. Here is what I found to work pretty well:

Page Size: 3.4" x 5.5"

Margins: 0.1" all around

Font Size: Set to your preference. I used Times New Roman at 10pt. I think it is a bit large, so I probably could have used 9pt.

I attached two screenshots of the resulting file as displayed on my NC. One uses 10pt Times New Roman and the second uses 9pt Arial Rounded MT Bold.

EDIT: I incorrectly stated that font sizes but have edited them accordingly.

Thank you so much for this tip!!! I have been looking forever for one that is easy to understand!!! :rofl:

drv
05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Sometimes it is easier or more desirable to create a quick PDF to view on the NC rather than creating an ePub or some other format.

[snip]

Why not just leave it a DOCX file? What do you gain by making it a PDF?

Guinan
05-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Is there a way to change the background or even just color the Library view? Even if I could make them wood color like iBooks it would be nicer than just white. :)

joseslepian
05-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Thank you, Carriebear, for the wonderful tip on playlists. I'm wondering, however, if there is something equivalent to the PC's right click + shift command where you can highlight and add multiple tracks (or your entire library) at one time without having to separately add each one. Thanks!

Update: I tried adding an m3u file to my music directory, but NC would not recognize it. Anyone have any other ideas?

lee ann
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't understand rooting and what the advantages are. And I surely, don't know where to begin. Can anyone help? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I can't find it.

taosaur
05-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't understand rooting and what the advantages are. And I surely, don't know where to begin. Can anyone help? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I can't find it.

This post really helped me get my head around all the options:
http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick-your-nook-color-operating-system-and-install-options/

Alcuith
05-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Anybody come up with a way to reduce the size of those giant icons on the main screen for an unhacked Nook Color?

AnemicOak
05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Anybody come up with a way to reduce the size of those giant icons on the main screen for an unhacked Nook Color?

You can change the size of the icons/covers by pinching them (put a finger at the top and bottom and drag them towards each other). Unless you mean the strip at the bottom of the screen, those can't be sized AFAIK.

Warchild
06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
I really like the Nook Color social features, especially tweeting quotes and posting likes to Facebook, but somehow B&N have managed to restrict the access to the social deatures only to books purchased from B&N. (Amazon has similar features but allows you to post from any source albeit no where near as nicely or elegantly).
Is there anyway to inject metadata into side loaded books or a header that would enable the social functions on any book?

photoluminations
07-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Nook color specs are stated as 1024 X 600 pixels at 169dpi. This is ~6.1x3.6 inches.

BN publishes the "PUBIT! ePUB FORMATTING GUIDE." That document, at section VI Image Optimization states "The maximum viewing size of the nook screen is 600x730 pixels." That would be a viewing area of 730x600 pixels.

I am a publisher developing books that will be distributed for the nook color. I don't have and would not like to own a nook color. Can someone who has a nook color perhaps take a rule to their device (unrooted, displaying an epub book) and tell me if the formatting guide is telling the truth? I have been unable to get clarification from BN. Thank you!

taosaur
07-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Nook color specs are stated as 1024 X 600 pixels at 169dpi. This is ~6.1x3.6 inches.

BN publishes the "PUBIT! ePUB FORMATTING GUIDE." That document, at section VI Image Optimization states "The maximum viewing size of the nook screen is 600x730 pixels." That would be a viewing area of 730x600 pixels.

I am a publisher developing books that will be distributed for the nook color. I don't have and would not like to own a nook color. Can someone who has a nook color perhaps take a rule to their device (unrooted, displaying an epub book) and tell me if the formatting guide is telling the truth? I have been unable to get clarification from BN. Thank you!

I suspect your misunderstanding stems from the assumption that "nook screen" refers to the NC. Most likely the guidelines are aimed at the least common denominator in their product line, meaning the Nook Classic and/or the new eInk Nook.

photoluminations
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I believe you are right. BN has terrible support for the PUBIT publishers, B&N states that those guidelines apply to the NC. I just needed to get some independent confirmation. Thanks.

Me*
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I just got my Nook Color yesterday, and I pretty much got it, but Im still a little confused. Is there a way to copy-paste pictures from the Internet or text? I dont want to always have to pass pictures from my computer to my Nook and I dont want to have to memorize links or certain texts. So can anyone help me? :o

taosaur
07-21-2011, 06:19 AM
I just got my Nook Color yesterday, and I pretty much got it, but Im still a little confused. Is there a way to copy-paste pictures from the Internet or text? I dont want to always have to pass pictures from my computer to my Nook and I dont want to have to memorize links or certain texts. So can anyone help me? :o

I don't have the stock OS anymore, so I can't confirm it works with B&N's browser, but in most Android browsers you long-press an image to bring up the "save image" option, which will probably save it in your Downloads folder. Same for text: long-press a word to highlight it, and there will be arrow-tabstop-thingies at either end of the highlighting to drag over the rest of what you want highlighted, then when you tap the highlighted text again, it will be copied to clipboard. I'm not sure if there's any kind of text editor that comes with the stock OS where you can paste it, but you could always drop it in an email to yourself.

Me*
07-22-2011, 01:42 AM
I don't have the stock OS anymore, so I can't confirm it works with B&N's browser, but in most Android browsers you long-press an image to bring up the "save image" option, which will probably save it in your Downloads folder. Same for text: long-press a word to highlight it, and there will be arrow-tabstop-thingies at either end of the highlighting to drag over the rest of what you want highlighted, then when you tap the highlighted text again, it will be copied to clipboard. I'm not sure if there's any kind of text editor that comes with the stock OS where you can paste it, but you could always drop it in an email to yourself.

Thanks! Will try .")

Me*
07-26-2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks! Will try .")

I tried with the pictures and it worked, thank you, but I cant copy the text. Im specially trying on the Fliq Notes app, but im not sure if it would be different depending where the text is. Could you help me?
:help:

Me*
08-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Okay, people might already know how to do this, but I didn't, and I figure maybe someone else might benefit from this. I didn't see this in any of the previous messages, so sorry if this is repetitive. Also, I discovered this on the Nook Color boards, so credit goes to juanitasJS there.

1. To create a playlist on Nook, when you access your music through the app or through the sdcard or files menu, hold your finger for a few seconds on the song you want to use for a playlist. It'll pop up a menu that with options: Play, Delete, Add to Playlist. Select Add to Playlist. The meny choices are Current or New. Select New, then type in the name of the playlist. Boom, playlist created. Then just press for a few seconds the song(s) you want to add to that playlist, and select Add to Playlist - Name of the Playlist you created.

2. To change the order of songs in a playlist, when you have the playlist loaded, touch your finger to the left or right side of the songs list, and an icon with little lines on it pops up. You can drag the songs into whatever order you wish. :) This doesn't work, of course, if you have a shuffle mode on.

Hope this helps :D

Ive been looking for this, thank you!!!

Me*
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Im in Mexico now, and I really do need to get new books. Can I get the same books here as I can in the US???

temetka
09-11-2011, 05:32 AM
My guess is yes. While I only travel within CONUS, no matter where I am at the B&N store is always there waiting for me.

MikFinkel
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Im in Mexico now, and I really do need to get new books. Can I get the same books here as I can in the US???

You can also try Feedbooks.com. I believe they are out of France.
http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

librarianchat
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Here is one of my favorites. To capture a screenshot, press the Home "n" button and the minus "-" Volume button at the same time. A camera icon will appear in the lower left corner status bar indicating a Notification that says "Screenshot captured". Click on the notification and it will launch the image in the gallery. A copy of the image is saved to your Library in the folder /media/Screenshots in png format.

Tip: it just needs a quick simultaneous press so don't hold the volume button for too long or it can affect the image.

Had the darn thing for a year and never knew that. Thanks.

ashlynne
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Press the power button once to go into ,what I call, "sleep mode" on ''sleep mode'' just press one more time for it to go to the "wake your nook up" screen . Hold down for around 5 seconds and it will turn all the way off wich I personaly don't like because it takes way to long to turn back on.

taosaur
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Press the power button once to go into ,what I call, "sleep mode" on ''sleep mode'' just press one more time for it to go to the "wake your nook up" screen . Hold down for around 5 seconds and it will turn all the way off wich I personaly don't like because it takes way to long to turn back on.

Welcome to mobileread :)

That's actually standard operating procedure--something positive that tablets inherited from their smartphone predecessors.

Smeza
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Tired of the stock wallpapers?

I got this link from another forum:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...oads/date/any/

The person suggested using 1024 x 1024 iPad from the dropdown menu. It looks great. Assuming you're on a computer, click download, the image will open in another window, right click on it and save it to a folder on your computer.

Now transfer the images to the NOOKcolor. Place them in the "Wallpaper" folder which is located in the "My Files" folder.
Thanks for this! I was wondering how to get different pictures as I am tired of looking at the old ones!!

Smeza
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not but I was wondering if anyone uses Calibre to add books to their Nook Color. I know when I add them on my SD card in my Nook they go into individual folders. I didn't know if anyone has figured out a way to "organize" those better than just how they are automatically transferred over. Any kind of help/tips will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Smeza

mwheinz
01-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I know when I add them on my SD card in my Nook they go into individual folders.

Yeah, I use calibre - but I'm not sure what you mean. The Nook UI doesn't actually show the folders calibre uses, it just shows the books as a list in the Books list and downloaded news in the Magazines list.

pixiestyx
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I think Smeza means when you try to access books sideloaded with Calibre through "My Documents" rather than the Books list, they are in folders by author. I hadn't realized they were in the Books list either since I've downloaded quite a few samples from BN for my "to read" list - I've never scrolled all the way to the end to find the sideloaded books. Just always assumed they weren't listed there. The "By author" folder sorting is great for authors I'm familiar with, but if I've downloaded somebody new to try, chances are I remember the title not the author.

cooljewel
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi Everyone. I am trying to figure out my Nook Color and stumbled upon this site. I am thrilled that there is a place I can ask questions at. I hope someone will be able to help me out.
I have downloaded Calibre and used it successfully for a few days but now I am getting this message that says the book is locked by DRM......What exactly does this mean? Is there anyway to go around this issue?
I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks gang!

tanalee
02-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Aloha...

Apparently quite a few people have problems with the Nook Color and Nook Tablet connectors breaking (ugh!). After I got a new one, I bought a toothbrush cover to protect mine while it's not in use. I still need to come up with something to protect while IN use, but this is a start.

I'm posting links to photos, but don't know if they'll work:

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l592/portaltotheworld/Snapbucket/7DA2B71D-orig.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l592/portaltotheworld/Snapbucket/C8E1340D-orig.jpg

[Oops! Kinda HUGE...but you get the idea.]

Tana-Lee

taosaur
02-09-2012, 06:00 PM
That's a cool tip, tanalee. You ought to submit that w/ the pics as a general "protect fragile USB connectors" tip to tips@lifehacker.com

I'll bet you'd make the From the Tips Box (http://lifehacker.com/from-the-tips-box/) feature.

tanalee
02-10-2012, 06:08 PM
That's a cool tip, tanalee. You ought to submit that w/ the pics as a general "protect fragile USB connectors" tip to tips@lifehacker.com

I'll bet you'd make the From the Tips Box (http://lifehacker.com/from-the-tips-box/) feature.
Aloha!

Thanks for your compliment and suggestion. I'll check it!

Tana-Lee

acsclassof2012
09-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Rooting means getting superuser privileges (it's jailbreaking), so you can modify the device and install apps as you please. There are plenty of threads on how to do so, should you wish to try.
if i wanted to do this, would all my apps that i downloaded or bought be deleted?

bb63
10-29-2012, 01:59 PM
love this thread, and have picked up a few pointers. i of course bought a nook color just as the newest is set to be released. i am old fashioned in that i don't buy a new one until the old one breaks, and my 1st gen nook has finally died!

one thing i was excited for when purchasing my new nook was better organization on the device. one of the things i've noticed, and disliked immensely was that when i view the nook via my computer, my files are organized in folders by author, and each folder generally contains one or 2 books. is there anyway to transfer books to the nook without this happening? i'm not sure if its a nook issue or if its the "reading list" plugin created here on this board that causes this to happen. any advice would be greatly appreciated :)