View Full Version : Another New Toy For Me - A White Pandigital

Xanthe
11-29-2010, 01:34 AM
I was so good. I was doing online Christmas shopping for family members, not looking at anything that I might want. But slowly I got suckered in, checking out what ereaders might be available on the various sites. I blame it on my nephew, who let me play around with his iPad. Can't afford that right at the present so I decided to get another ereader for my collection - because that is what it is turning out to be, lol.

The winner this time is a white Pandigital. I don't yet have it (it's going to be shipped to me) but I was intrigued by all the larger size, the color, the Wifi ability, that it's an Android, and by all of the hacks and tweaks that people at SlateDroid have come up with for it. Hopefully, its pluses will outweigh its minuses. :D

Now lets see if I will be able to resist playing with it until Christmas....;)

speedtouch
11-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Now lets see if I will be able to resist playing with it until Christmas....;)

Ha! Good luck with that! :D

Latinandgreek
11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Be sure to tell us how you like it once you get a chance to play around with it. Enjoy!

jbcohen
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I had one a while ago before it got stollen and would have advised you to save your dollars its not worth it in my opinion. 1) very slow boot time; 2) slips up a lot and needs to be reset very frequently. Here is some advice to cope with your new purchase: 1) Keep a paperclip with the pandigital (there is a reset button on the back that will require a paperclip to get to it and reset); 2) Be very patient its very slow.

Xanthe
11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
I saw your posts about it in the other thread and took it under consideration. I've also read other posts where people are happy with it. I do realize that it's a crapshoot.

One of my most useful tools is a large unbent paperclip. I keep it in the drawer with my USB cables, so I can always find it. Something always seems to need to be reset - lol.

jbcohen
11-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Of all of the readers you own which needs to be reset the most? I have had my Aluratek for approximatly three monts and I have reset it twice.

Xanthe
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I've had the Sony for a couple of months and I think that I've had to reset it twice. The Aluratek I've had for a little under a yearand I've probably reset it about five times. I think the Aluratek tends to freeze if you don't give it enough time to process one request before you make another. The Sony has a faster processor so there's less likelihood of it tripping over itself, I think.

I also needed that paperclip for my old Creative Zen MP3 player, and for a few other electronic doodads.

Xanthe
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
PS: Actually the eBookman would win the "need to reset most" contest. ;)

gastan
11-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I have had to reset my Novel 3 times in the 4 1/2 months that I've had it ... and they were all in the first 2 weeks. I agree with you, Xanthe, I think it, "...tends to freeze if you don't give it enough time to process one request before you make another."

My Novel has been trouble free and, considering what I paid for it, is a great device. I hope you have similar experiences.

soondai
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
what firmware do you run on it, gastan?

bookratt
11-30-2010, 10:43 PM
I just bought a white Pandigital Novel with Barnes & Noble app about 3 weeks ago. With my coupons & rebate it'll only be $100.00 + tax.

I do love my Sony reader, and find it is the best for reading ebooks (less stress on the eyes).

I am enjoying the Pandigital, and have downloaded a good variety of B&N ebook freebies that I can't get for the Sony and find it works well viewing PDF files. I like it for various reports, maps etc in PDF format that are AWFUL on the Sony reader (sizing and viewing work wonderfully!). The wi-fi is fast (I take it McDonalds for the free wi-fi ;D ), and I can surf the web faster than my regular computer. I have had to reboot it a couple of times, but like other posts above mentioned, it is probably because of my impatience when waiting for something to process.

It also syncs up fine with Adobe Digital Editions, and I use that to put all my ePub & PDF files onto the Pandigital.

It does have a touch screen, and I ended up buying a packet of Nintendo DS stylus' - I don't like using my nails as they suggest as an option - it's not a finger slide like the iPad. The stylus works well, and I recommend its use!

I would buy this ereader again. :thumbsup:

magicmonster
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I hope you have better luck than I did. Worked fine for about a month then it froze and would not reset. I tried to reload the firmware and it still hung forever on boot and would not turn off at all. It was still within the 30 days from BBB and I promptly took it back to them. I then researched and finally got a Kindle 3G. However the new job I have now got does not allow active electronics on the floor. ;{

gastan
12-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Soondai ... I still use the 8-6-2010 firmware with the basic hack and the notification bar hack and I've added the apps I want/need. I haven't tried any of the alternate firmwares that other users have put together. (I may try the Android 2.2 one if they ever get it finalized). The newer PD firmware updates don't seem to add much functionality and I am not having any problems sooooo ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

I use my PDN solely as an eReader 99.5% of the time. That's what it was originally designed as and it works just fine in that capacity. I even use the PDReader app over any other. It suits my needs okay and has some features that I like over others like Aldiko.

I only use the "tablet" functions of the Novel very rarely. When I do use it to check e-mail or some light web-browsing it is slow and there are some quirks ... but I knew that going in. I never expected to pay such a low price and get a Ferrari. For the ridiculously low price that I got the Novel for, it was and is a great device.

Again, I got it to use primarily as an eReader, not a laptop replacement to use streaming video and audio, etc.. In that capacity it works just fine.

Xanthe
12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Just got the notice that it shipped; should arrive early next week. It's going to be really hard to keep from opening it up - lol.

I've ordered a 16GB micro SDHC card to replace the one that comes with it, plus a 16GB external SDHC card, to give it a little extra oomph. I'm reading the various wikis and forum posts on SlateDroid :book2: to try to get myself up to speed on the device, but I have to say, some of it is over my head and I'm loathe to post any questions there because they seem to be a bit snappish in their responses to newbies.:eek:

For those of you that have the device and have modified it a bit, what do you recommend as the essential first steps for me to take once I unbox it? (Other than to charge it up, of course ;) ). I think that I'm going to use it for more of its pad function - got a 2 year old nephew whose fascinated with all of my electronic toys and I want to see what I can pull up on there that will intrigue him.

lotrfan
12-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Just got the notice that it shipped; should arrive early next week. It's going to be really hard to keep from opening it up - lol.

I've ordered a 16GB micro SDHC card to replace the one that comes with it, plus a 16GB external SDHC card, to give it a little extra oomph. I'm reading the various wikis and forum posts on SlateDroid :book2: to try to get myself up to speed on the device, but I have to say, some of it is over my head and I'm loathe to post any questions there because they seem to be a bit snappish in their responses to newbies.:eek:

For those of you that have the device and have modified it a bit, what do you recommend as the essential first steps for me to take once I unbox it? (Other than to charge it up, of course ;) ). I think that I'm going to use it for more of its pad function - got a 2 year old nephew whose fascinated with all of my electronic toys and I want to see what I can pull up on there that will intrigue him.

Well are you familiar with the cmd prompt (DOS box) and batch files? If so maybe start with the first “hack” that was done on the Novel (look in the wiki at slatedroid) and go from there as it teaches you a little. If not then read all the different prebuilt hacks that are in the Pandigital Novel section and test the ones that seem good to you. I haven’t tried any of the pre built FW hacks as I have done everything manually is cmd prompt etc.

I would definitely recommend one of the soft button hacks that add software buttons on top that are accessible all or most of the time depending on the app that is running. I have only tried one set so can’t say which one is best.

As for home screen I do like Launchpro but have heard that ADW is also very good. Not sure if this helps at all since you have been at the forums but I can try to answer some questions (not that I am an expert though).

Xanthe
12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks, lotrfan. That's the kind of information I need. :thumbsup:

I'm not very proficient with cmd prompts but I have muddled my way through there at times in the past when absolutely necessary. My spirit is willing, but my skills are weak, and there seems to be an assumption of a certain skill level in those instructions. Tends to happen in any situation I suppose, where the people providing the instruction are so far removed from the newbie level that they don't realize that terms and concepts that they don't even pay attention to anymore just zoom over a newbie's head.

I found the same thing to be true on my job, whenever I unconsciously used too much jargon in explaining things to people who had never had contact with my agency before. I had to stop and rethink my explanation, and present it in more understandable terms.

lotrfan
12-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Ok. There are several pre built fw hacks that are based on the different original firmwares that the company has posted. I think you have to first install the original fw before installing the corresponding hacked one but i am not sure. You can find them at the wiki at slatedroid. To install a fw be it hacked or not you just copy the fw to an sd card. Hold the power switch on the on position and at the same time hold the "up" volume button. Hold them both for about 5 sec then release. The Novel will install the new fw with corresponding hacks if any. They also have a pretty good list of apps. To get Market running is a little bit more involved. User data on the Novel will be erased.

wheatfree
12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I installed the Cruz UI modified firmware from slatedroid within 12 hours of getting mine. I've had it for 2 months now, and it works perfectly. I use mine for pretty much everything. I watch video on it; although, I really don't recommend it for the video. I stream music from pandora and slacker. I check email and blogs. I surf the internet. I play games on it. And yeah, I read on it, obviously.

I have only ever had to hit the reset button once. The preconfigured firmwares on slatedroid are wonderful. No fuss. No muss. Flash and go.

Xanthe
12-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, everything is still on schedule and it should arrive tomorrow. It's going to be extremely hard not to unbox it before Christmas.

Latinandgreek
12-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, everything is still on schedule and it should arrive tomorrow. It's going to be extremely hard not to unbox it before Christmas.

Well, today is the feast of St. Nick, traditionally many Europeans give gifts today...

Xanthe
12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Hmm....I forgot about Svyatyi Mykolay....haven't gotten a present from him in years....hmm....;)

Xanthe
12-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, the PDN arrived. I took it out of the shipping container but haven't unboxed it. An added bonus - it came with a $10 mail-in rebate, which brings the price (before tax and shipping) down to $139. Not too bad. :)

Xanthe
12-10-2010, 03:46 AM
I lasted 3 days before I opened it.

I am so weak...

wheatfree
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I wouldn't have lasted that long.

soondai
12-10-2010, 12:30 PM
mine has been up in the closet since the day after black Friday.

how's it going Xanthe?
which firmware are you going (or starting) with.

really curious to see how it handles PDFs withe the latest PD update

lotrfan
12-10-2010, 02:10 PM
mine has been up in the closet since the day after black Friday.

how's it going Xanthe?
which firmware are you going (or starting) with.

really curious to see how it handles PDFs withe the latest PD update

I installed the new FW and like it a lot. The PD reader app doesn’t allow for zooming into the PDF. You would have to hack it and install the adobe reader app or other to better read a PDF.

soondai
12-10-2010, 06:32 PM
If I can read the PDFs in landscape and scroll down the page I should be okay (I hope it can do that). If not, it'll give me an excuse to hack it. I probably want vudroid anyway for some djvu files.

The PDFs I have are scanned books that should read fine in landscape (and maybe even in portrait if I use briss on them)

Xanthe
12-12-2010, 03:58 AM
First impressions of the PDN:

1. It is much heavier than my ALP or Sony.

2. Battery time is nowhere near that of an e-ink or reflective LCD device.

3. The device, out of the box, is easy to operate.

4. The touch screen is more responsive than I thought it would be. But the screen quickly becomes covered with fingerprint smudges [EDIT: merely unsightly, doesn't seem to affect performance].

5. It doesn't come with a stylus, but it does come with a stand for hand's free reading.

6. I've got a 50+ character key for my wireless. I kept getting "wrong key" errors when trying to enter it. I finally set up a guest account on my wireless router with a smaller guest key and was able to connect with that.

7. Connecting to my B&N account was no problem, nor was updating my Library from it.

8. Updating the firmware was not difficult. I just followed the instructions on the PDN website.

9. One of the first things I did was to replace the internal 1GB micro SD card with a 16GB micro SDHC card. That was easy to do. The PDN website has step-by-step instructions with pictures. Prior to doing that, though, I went into the PDN with Explorer and copied everything on the SD card to my hard drive, in a folder clearly marked that it was the original data.

10. I have to say, one of the problems I'm having is the different terminology used in regard to Android products. To me, FW is firewall not firmware. "Repos" is repossession not repository in my mind. "Flashing" isn't exactly installing, according to what I've been told. I'm not quite sure of the difference between "hacking", "rooting" and "modding". This tends to make information/instructions on the Android forums a bit hard to understand.

11. The screen is not as sharp as my laptop's screen. The text in the reader function should be darker/bolder for my eyes. I haven't found a way of adjusting that to my satisfaction yet.

12. I decided to use the nchnter_experience modification because it seemed to play nicer than the roebeet one according to the threads I was reading. The downside is that it doesn't give you access to Android Marketplace, which seems to be the easiest and safest source of Android applications. I had no problem installing it. I used the 9/23 version but before I installed...er...flashed it to my system, I reverted the PDN operating system to the 9/23 version to avoid problems.

13. I'm still trying to figure everything out. I miss the darn "x" in the upper corner of the window - I have directional difficulties at times (forward? back? close?). [EDIT: this refers to it as a hacked Android tablet, not the basic PDN mode.]

14. Opera has a Beta version out for Android, which I managed to find and figure out which one I should use - AND managed to download it to my PC. I was able to install it without problem; nice to have a familiar browser. There's a lot of Android apps out there but a lot of the websites only provide access to them via your mobile phone, which doesn't quite work in this instance.

15. I haven't loaded any PDF's on it yet so I can't comment on how they look. A YouTube video played without problem - it wasn't that sharp-looking but I don't know if it was the 'tube or my screen. Haven't loaded any music on it (it has two speakers on the bottom edge of the device).

I already know that I don't like to read for extended periods of time on an LCD screen, so that wasn't my primary reason for getting this device. I'm mainly looking for it to fill the category of a poor-man's iPad. The mods/hacks have turned it into an full-fledged Android device which is easier for me to browse on than an cell phone, which is what I wanted, so so far, I am happy.

Note: The white PDN runs Android 2.0. The black PDN supposedly runs Android 1.5.

soondai
12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Xanthe:

when you say there are step by step instructions in changing out the internal memory card on the PDN site are you talking about slatedroid (I see nothing on Pandigital's actual site)

thanks for the write-up. can't wait til I get to play with mine.

edit:
nevermind, I found it:

http://www.pandigital.net/?PageID=335#MicroSD_Removal

londonfire
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi, everybody. I'm the new guy here. Seems like this is a good spot to ask a few PDN qeestions. I have one I picked up 2 days ago and haven't opened yet because I'm doing some research. My biggest question is the 'black vs. white'. I've read both ways as to which one is better. Do they both have the same processor? I know mine is 2 gig and all the whites I've seen are 1 gig. I know that's not a big deal because I'll use an SDHC card anyway but does that flash memory have an effect on speed? I bought mine primarily to try as a web device. I know, I've read a lot of reviews and it's never going to chase the iPad off the market. I want it mostly for traveling to check airline and hotel sites for reservations and e-mail. I have a Touch right now and really like it but the screen is a bit small for my wife to handle so that's why I jumped on this. Thanks for any input you have....Ed.

wheatfree
12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
The black one runs android 1.5 and has 128mb of RAM. The white one runs android 2.0 and has 256mb of RAM. The black one is harder to hack, runs slower because of the RAM, and will never run a lot of the newer apps because it will never run android 2.0.

If all you wanted was an ebook reader, the black one is fine. If you plan to use it as an android tablet, get the white one.

londonfire
12-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks, wheatfree. That helps a lot. Ed.

lotrfan
12-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Also the 2gb on the black one is fixed. The white Novel has a 1gb micro sd card that can be replaced. Note though that very few apps other than the ones from pandigital can "see" this internal sd card.

Another difference is that the white Novel has an internal fixed "hard drive" of 512MB where all the apps are installed and run from yet I am pretty sure that the black one only has 256MB. Therefore if hacked, more apps fit in the white one than the black one.

Xanthe
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I second the suggestion on getting the white one. Everything I've been reading indicates that that's the one that is the easiest to modify by the average user (witness myself as the example of that), and having Android 2.0 means that you're not going to have a problem with most Android apps working on it. The majority of the free apps that I was looking at required at least Android 1.5 but some required 1.6 or higher. Some of the new ones require 2.1 which means I can't use them. No sense in crippling yourself right from the start.

A site that I've found that I can install Android applications from is slideme.org. There's an Android setting on the PDN that has to be set to allow installation of non-Android Market applications. Since I don't have Android Market installed, everything that I download and install is by definition non-Android Market. ;)

EDIT: Just installed a lovely APK (Android application) called World Newspapers. It also allows you to access magazines.

wheatfree
12-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, I had a failed app update through the market last night, got it shut down, and woke up to the blue bootup screen--and nothing else. Maybe you should be thankful you didn't install GE. It wouldn't load the firmware. I just finished flashing it back to stock, so I get to start over. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to try something else, since I flashed mine to the Cruz UI firmware on slatedroid within 12 hours of getting it a few months back and never tried anything else.

I think I'm going to see how that 2.2 thing is coming along and then maybe install the open platform. I have a v.1 board, and it wouldn't kill me to actually see video on mine that doesn't stutter, so I could hack the 7/24 I just flashed it to. We'll see.

Xanthe
12-14-2010, 01:09 AM
That's why I shied away from trying to install AM/GE first - I saw too many posts from people having problems with it, and since I am totally unfamiliar with Android I wanted to at least learn something about it before I BSOD'd it. ;)

Xanthe
12-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Here is a link to a thread on SlateDroid where a member provided a list of sites where you can download Android apps (APK) directly to your computer: http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=4082.msg30413#msg30413

Very useful if you don't have Android Market on your PDN.

wheatfree
12-14-2010, 07:48 AM
I tried to do without market access yesterday. I really did. That was a non-starter all the way around for me. I am an android market addict. I admit it. I check the market for updates every day. I install new things to play with. I have the coolest Christmas wallpapers. I have so many that I can (and do) change my wallpaper every night. I'm not the biggest holiday-type person, but I do love the Christmas wallpapers. *sigh*

I'm not looking for a 12 step program. I'm comfortable in my market addiction. My PDN is now back to the Cruz UI where I can feed my need for new and exciting things to do with my PDN to my heart's content. I have no willpower.

Xanthe
12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I like the SlideMe.org application. There's a nice assortment of apk's available, and their manager checks compatability with my device so I'm less likely to try to install something that's designed for a higher Android version.

I've had to reset the PDN a couple of times so far when various gadgets I was trying out from other sites just didn't work right or seemed to cause a cascading problem. But it was painless and simple to do. I just need to better organize the apk's on my external SD card so that I clear off the ones I'm not going to install again and have my core ones easily available.

A question about apk's. When I "install" them from my external SD card, I'm not quite sure of what is happening. Is a program being loaded onto my internal SD card, or is a pointer just being added so the the PDN looks to the external SD card to run the apk from there? Is the apk file akin to a setup file or an .exe file?

Perhaps after Christmas I might play around with the Cruz UI. Right now, I don't have the available time to allow myself to get lost in playing with the PDN. Tree to finish decorating, Christmas cards to still send out, cookies to bake, shopping to finish, presents to wrap - lol.

wheatfree
12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
You can delete the files from the external card after you install. If you're running the Open Platform mod, all of the apks install to the internal sd card. Otherwise, they install to proprietary memory inside the PDN that only has something like 128 mb of space.

That sounds like you'd run out quickly, but I just counted, and I have 65 apps on mine and still have 33MB of space to install more. Not to mention that there's a number of those 65 I could uninstall without missing them at all. My market obsession is showing again.

Xanthe
12-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Where do they show up on the internal SD card?

wheatfree
12-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Open Platform apps install to /data/app in the sdcard. Not sure if the /data folder is a top level directory on the card or not, since I've never tried the OP mod.

jlg432
12-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I just purchased a Black PDN at BBB here in Ottawa Canada. I tried to get the White one but they only carried the Black. It comes with the Android 1.5 and loaded with the Kobo Reader app.

After doing the firmware update I noticed that I was granted access to various folders on the internal memory. These didn't show up before the update.

I can also download and install android apps - (limited by the 1.5 android level).

I found the screen responsive enough (I have enough full size stylus to use), It plays mp4 movies without stutter and Internet access and email is great. Nice display for personal pictures and the built in apps do fine by me.

It cost me $199 and with a mail in rebate that brings it down to $169.

Does anyone know if the White PDN is available in Canada w/o having to get it Online?

John

Rose
12-25-2010, 05:34 PM
John,

I work in Brampton and they had the white PDN at Best Buy. I think they had it priced at $199.00.

Rose

jlg432
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Rose, thanks but the only White PDN I found online and in the store (Best Buy and Future shop) was their monochrome e-reader. They only offer the Black Colour PDN with the built in Kobo Reader. That is the unit I have and as I am not willing to spend $600+ to play around with an Android tablet I will keep what I have. I have already added their new FW update which opens it up even though I am stuck with Android 1.5 it should satisfy my needs.

I have access to the Internet, email, Youtube app, Facebook app and others that interest me.

I was hoping to add some of the other major e-reader apps but I guess the 1.5 is the downfall. I did find a PDF reader that supports text flow.

Still I can't really complain as it only cost $169+tax cnd. The next tablet that was available locally was the Samsung Galaxy but I am not willing to spend $600+ for a toy. I did not like the 16:9 layout of the Samsung. I prefer the screen size of the PDN for Internet reading.

John

WillysJeepMan
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
A few days ago I picked up a white PDN at BB&B for $70 (after coupon and rebate). The first things that I noticed was (A) it was quite heavy for the size...just 5 oz. less than my iPad. and (B) something heavy inside that shifted slightly when tilting the device...I assumed that it was the battery. It looked like it would be a fun device to tweak and tinker with but didn't look like it would be very useful in practical use.

So I returned it and picked up an Aluratek Libre Pro... which is turning out to be quite a neat little ereader.

Xanthe
12-31-2010, 05:05 PM
That was a very good price for the PDN. If you've already got an iPad, then the PDN would probably look like a step down, but for those of us unwilling to shell out the money for an iPad, it's a neat little toy. :)

I like my Aluratek, too. And since it doesn't have a clock, library books borrowed on it don't expire (just don't reconnect to the Adobe Digital Editions software until you are done reading them).

bullwing
01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I recently got mine as well. Pretty neat lil gadget. Is it easy to root? What do I gain from rooting?

lotrfan
01-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I recently got mine as well. Pretty neat lil gadget. Is it easy to root? What do I gain from rooting?

It is very easy to root. You gain the ability to add a lot of apps including Kindle, Aldiko and other ereader apps. There are apps to view and download youtube videos. Plenty of games etc.

So after rooting it becomes a decent android tablet. Won't compete with an iPad but it also doesn't cost as much.

For rooting insturction go to slatedroid.com and look for the wiki on the Pandigital Novel.

bullwing
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
thanks lotrfan

Noah98
01-06-2011, 11:08 PM
If you can still find them, Kohl's has the white PDN for $60 on clearance.

travfar
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
You can also get it for $30 at BBB if you PM to Kohl's.

jlg432
01-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Do You Still Have to ROOT it? Doesn't Pandigital offer a FW update that opens the Android side right up?

I have the Black Canadian one and unfortunately I am stuck at 1.5 but doesn't the white one come with 2.0?

John

soondai
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Got a Kohl's coupon in the mail today for 20% off one item and 10 bucks in Kohls cash. Gonna have to return it and rebuy it a 2nd time this week.

lotrfan
01-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Do You Still Have to ROOT it? Doesn't Pandigital offer a FW update that opens the Android side right up?

I have the Black Canadian one and unfortunately I am stuck at 1.5 but doesn't the white one come with 2.0?

John

Yeah but it is still very basic for what I have read. Some like it better though but I actually like the default home screen and the open fw doesn't include that. In its defense it seems that it is faster.

Yeah the white has 2.0 and there are some mods that add 2.1 and 2.2 with issues though.

WillysJeepMan
01-09-2011, 12:42 AM

John
No, you don't have to root it. The latest firmware from Pandigital is what they showcased at CES this week. It isn't officially released but will most likely be the new standard firmware. This new firmware does open up the Android side of things and makes it as "open" as the Velocity Micro Cruz though the PDN has better performance.

The first release of the Open Firmware that Pandigital released was indeed barebones... this latest one contains all of the apps as the official firmware including a new Slide Marketplace.

The Joker
01-09-2011, 12:52 AM
No, you don't have to root it. The latest firmware from Pandigital is what they showcased at CES this week. It isn't officially released but will most likely be the new standard firmware. This new firmware does open up the Android side of things and makes it as "open" as the Velocity Micro Cruz though the PDN has better performance.

The first release of the Open Firmware that Pandigital released was indeed barebones... this latest one contains all of the apps as the official firmware including a new Slide Marketplace.

Hey WillysJM.....I've got 2 Pandigital Novels-white (actually 3, but may return 1 of them).....I'm thinking of hacking them both.....
Are you saying there is a new software update from Pandigital, that will allow access to the Android Market? And by downloading the latest software I'll gain as much as hacking (which I haven't actually researched yet)

Thanks

WillysJeepMan
01-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey WillysJM.....I've got 2 Pandigital Novels-white (actually 3, but may return 1 of them).....I'm thinking of hacking them both.....
Are you saying there is a new software update from Pandigital, that will allow access to the Android Market? And by downloading the latest software I'll gain as much as hacking (which I haven't actually researched yet)

Thanks
Not the Android Market. SAM, Slide ME Market is something that I've never heard of before but appears to be an alternative android-market.

I'm loving this new firmware because it gives me the openness I want (to install additional apps), access to the original PDN apps, and doesn't have the downside of most other firmware (eg. sleep issues).

If you want access to the Android Market, just install one of the other firmwares that offer it.

soondai
01-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Willys, from what I read on slatedroid it sounded like there was a different reader on the open firmware. Is that true?

I actually like original built in ereader (runs very well on the 11/17 firmware). would be reluctant to lose it.

WillysJeepMan
01-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Willys, from what I read on slatedroid it sounded like there was a different reader on the open firmware. Is that true?

I actually like original built in ereader (runs very well on the 11/17 firmware). would be reluctant to lose it.
Do you have a link to a thread where that is discussed? To the best of my knowledge and recollection, although the B&N library/store screen is different, the reader is the same.

Please note that the open platform firmware that I'm referring to is the one that was "leaked" a week ago and not the one that was formally released a few months ago.

cjrenick
01-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I just got my Pandigital from BBB yesterday. I have a Literati, but I figured for $30(after mail-in rebate) the PND would be nice to have so I could do some web browsing. The biggest issue I have found is that the text for ereading is not near as sharp and crisp as on the Literati. If I do one of the CFW will that improve? I have had to reset the PND a couple of times. It is just because I have to get use to the speed and not be so impatient. In all reality it is still not all that slow when you consider what it is. Hey, I started out with dial-up so it is already better than that:rofl:.

soondai
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Do you have a link to a thread where that is discussed? To the best of my knowledge and recollection, although the B&N library/store screen is different, the reader is the same.

Please note that the open platform firmware that I'm referring to is the one that was "leaked" a week ago and not the one that was formally released a few months ago.

I think maybe it was this post:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14225.msg115312#msg115312

and the fact that the reader is not listed among the apps at the top of the thread that made me think it was different.

WillysJeepMan
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I think maybe it was this post:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14225.msg115312#msg115312

and the fact that the reader is not listed among the apps at the top of the thread that made me think it was different.
ah, I can understand the confusion.

modeuce is not quite accurate in his description of what apps are included. He mentions "B&N Bookstore" but the icon is simply labeled "B&N". When launching the app there are 3 tabs: "B&N Bookstore" (their online store), "B&N Library" (books that I've purchased/downloaded), and "My Novel" (my non-B&N books).

Tapping on a book launches the reader. The bookstore, bookshelf, and reader are a single app. They are that way with the original production firmware too. But because that app is the home screen it gets a bit confusing.

soondai
01-11-2011, 01:54 AM
cool. thanks for clearing that up. I might give it a shot (though truthfully I am reluctant to take off the back cover to get at the microSD)

WillysJeepMan
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
cool. thanks for clearing that up. I might give it a shot (though truthfully I am reluctant to take off the back cover to get at the microSD)
Don't be anxious about that... the cover is designed to be removed... in much the same way that a cellphone's back cover is designed to be removed to get access to the SIM card or microSD card.

bookratt
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM

I didn't have any problem taking the back cover off. I just had to carefully use the rounded metal lever on my nail clippers to carefully get it to start to open. In the Pandigital website instructions it mentions that the cover has an adhesive tape that needed to be loosened. The process was pretty quick and easy for me.

tselling
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
A plastic credit card works well too and less likely to do damage than metal. I actually used a plastic rewards card.

I didn't have any problem taking the back cover off. I just had to carefully use the rounded metal lever on my nail clippers to carefully get it to start to open. In the Pandigital website instructions it mentions that the cover has an adhesive tape that needed to be loosened. The process was pretty quick and easy for me.

The Joker
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Which version hack did you use......
I've got a few questions, I posted them here though
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1329681#poststop

travfar
01-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Brand new official 1/11 firmware. Literally just finished uploading minutes ago!!!!!!!

It's a monster at 110MB.

http://support.pandigital.net:8080/Support/FW/Novel/SH20_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP/

travfar
01-14-2011, 04:33 AM

There's absolutely no reason take the microsd out. I know Pandigital tells you to, but I never have to no ill effect.

lotrfan
01-14-2011, 07:56 AM
There's absolutely no reason take the microsd out. I know Pandigital tells you to, but I never have to no ill effect.
Just to let you know that others at slatedroid have had ill effects. There is a method that allows to do it but it is slightly more involved than just removing the card.

Edit:

We I stand corrected. The original open OS did cause issues if you didn't remove the internal card but the latest one will not.

soondai
01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
thanks guys, good to know. one other question for you slatedroiders:

I really like using Adobe Reader 10 for my PDFs. I had to flash a patch from slatedroid to alter the SDK from 5 to 8 so it would run. With the open platform FW, will Adobe Reader 10 work out of the gate?

travfar
01-14-2011, 07:39 PM
thanks guys, good to know. one other question for you slatedroiders:

I really like using Adobe Reader 10 for my PDFs. I had to flash a patch from slatedroid to alter the SDK from 5 to 8 so it would run. With the open platform FW, will Adobe Reader 10 work out of the gate?

I'm not sure, but I think I read something about this on slate yesterday. I believe people said that is what they do. Supposedly the Novel is great for PDF reading once it's "hacked".

soondai
01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
It is. I actually have Adobe 10 running on my PDN now with OEM software using one of the patches to change the SDK. But I have no idea how to do it on OP FW (if it is even required)

WillysJeepMan
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Here's the latest and greatest from "kewlguy" @ slatdroid:
Alternate WPDN Firmware Modified OP/Stock Hybrid (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14803.0)

This has all of the benefits of the latest 1/11 OP firmware with none of the dangers of flash-looping. It also has the 2D/3D graphics, ARM11 optimization, volkey, and Google Experience/Android Market patches pre-applied.

What it took me 5 steps to accomplish manually, kewlguy does in one.

The Joker
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Seems they just keep finding better, easier ways......I haven't actually began the hack on either of mine............probably a good thing at this point.......the wife has been happy with it as is.......and the other will be a birthday gift.........maybe this weekend though..........by then it may be automatic :p

Thanks for keeping us updated...............

RockdaMan
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Here's the latest and greatest from "kewlguy" @ slatdroid:
Alternate WPDN Firmware Modified OP/Stock Hybrid (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14803.0)

This has all of the benefits of the latest 1/11 OP firmware with none of the dangers of flash-looping. It also has the 2D/3D graphics, ARM11 optimization, volkey, and Google Experience/Android Market patches pre-applied.

What it took me 5 steps to accomplish manually, kewlguy does in one.

How stable is it?

WillysJeepMan
01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
How stable is it?
Rock solid stable. kewlguy was the guy who identified the cause of the flash looping and created a preventative method for people to use in flashing from an OP firmware to a non-OP firmware version.

His custom firmware has the safe-guard built-in along with the most useful and stable patches and hacks.

IMO, his firmware is the new gold standard. As I mentioned earlier, it is essentially what I created for myself manually. kewlguy's firmware brings that option to those who are not tech savvy.

bullwing
02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
You have a link to the build?

soondai
02-16-2011, 01:37 AM
bullwing, here's a link the the firmware subforum.

if you already are running the open platform firmware from pandigital, it's probably easier to just flash some of kewlguy's add-ons instead of his complete firmware.

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?board=77.0

bullwing
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Cool, thanks

smurfymom
04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
is it a pandigital novel 6" that you have? I am having problems with mine and would like to know how to reset it. Orientation wont work, it stays on portrait even when settings are changed. Book refresh after uploading takes hours, and now today the worst: stuck on page and wont turn off