View Full Version : Review: Samsung Galaxy Tab

mgmueller
11-28-2010, 05:57 PM
http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-sprint-version

Sonist
11-29-2010, 09:33 PM
$600 for a 7"/5 hours battery life Tab, compared to the 10"/10+ hours battery life iPad....

And with 16x9 screen.

Duh.

fyrogenesis
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
great. thinking of getting this as my K3 went dead (only after a week using), and i really need a smartphone right now.

the main issue is that i have no idea what is the practicality of a 7" device as a main phone. i hope it is doable. :thumbsup:

NoName
11-30-2010, 02:02 AM
great. thinking of getting this as my K3 went dead (only after a week using), and i really need a smartphone right now.

the main issue is that i have no idea what is the practicality of a 7" device as a main phone. i hope it is doable. :thumbsup:

I don't think the US versions are phones, but I think the European ones are. If what you need is a phone, there are other great androids out there with 4.3" screens. They're probably easier to hold on to also.

HansTWN
11-30-2010, 03:01 AM
A 7" phone may be doable for a person carrying a bag or purse, wearing a business suit, or cargo pants. Otherwise forget it, especially since the bezel on the Tab is so wide. 5" is most practical for a phone.

But what really stinks about Android is that it is encrypted VPN. It is a real pain to get OpenVPN to work and PPTP does not work when encrypted. Google knows this problem for over one year and has not taken care of it. That problem greatly affects business uses and streaming. Really sucks when traveling to certain countries, too.

And I would agree with Sonist, the Tab just seems to be much too expensive for a what they offer.

Logseman
11-30-2010, 04:49 AM
The European versions are not phones either. Carriers are trying to use these tablets to sell secondary data plans. €800 ($1050) is what a free (non-bound) Galaxy Tab costs in Europe. Is this thing really selling???

Dopedangel
11-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Asian version work as phones I bought one for my sister but did not get to play with it as the person taking it home for me was leaving the next day.

tubemonkey
11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
This thing is too spendy. Not worth the money for my needs. That's why I went with the Nook Color. It's a better valued Android tablet.

mgmueller
11-30-2010, 02:08 PM
A 7" phone may be doable for a person carrying a bag or purse, wearing a business suit, or cargo pants. Otherwise forget it, especially since the bezel on the Tab is so wide. 5" is most practical for a phone.

But what really stinks about Android is that it is encrypted VPN. It is a real pain to get OpenVPN to work and PPTP does not work when encrypted. Google knows this problem for over one year and has not taken care of it. That problem greatly affects business uses and streaming. Really sucks when traveling to certain countries, too.

And I would agree with Sonist, the Tab just seems to be much too expensive for a what they offer.

I'm using my Galaxy Tab quite frequently as a phone.
Surprisingly, reception is way better than on iPhone4 (both using the very same provider, same Multi-SIM).
I'm using Tab via speaker of course. Even in the hotel, when no one is watching, I'd feel quite stupid, holding that 7" unit to my ear.

Personally, I favor Tab to iPad.
Last week, on Tab, in the hotel I've done for example:
Downloading a movie and a TV episode from the usenet. Directly on the Tab, no jailbreak or anything like that needed. I've unrared, again directly on the unit. And I've watched the DivX movies without any problems.
I've downloaded in the background of course, while multi-tasking.

I clearly prefer 16:9 over 4:3.
I do so for my eBook readers as well, love the form factor of Sony 900 for example.

I don't have any problem with the price point of Galaxy Tab.
I mainly compare to iPad, iPhone4 and Dell Streak.
Dell Streak was 600, Galaxy Tab was 700.
If Galaxy tab is overpriced, Dell Streak is even more so (given the smaller display).
In my opinion though, all those prices perfectly are in line and totally make sense.

mgmueller
11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
$600 for a 7"/5 hours battery life Tab, compared to the 10"/10+ hours battery life iPad....

And with 16x9 screen.

Duh.
Personally, I prefer 16:9 over 4:3. Way closer to book formats for example.

And personally, I don't experience any significant difference in battery duration of iPad to Galaxy Tab. I have to charge both every single day (when using them, which I didn't for iPad for the last 2 months).
And if I compare battery duration to iPhone4, Galaxy Tab even would be benchmark ;-).

mgmueller
11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
The European versions are not phones either. Carriers are trying to use these tablets to sell secondary data plans. €800 ($1050) is what a free (non-bound) Galaxy Tab costs in Europe. Is this thing really selling???

It's € 700 without a data plan in German Media Markt. It's sold out most of the time, but of course I have no idea, what this means in total figures.
Media Markt 1 hour ago told me, they sell 3 times more Galaxy Tabs than they sell iPads. Their statement: The run on iPads quickly faded a few months ago, there's huge demand for cameras and USB in the meantime.

In Germany, I see more Galaxy Tabs on the street than iPads. But that's basically 5 units vs. 3 units or something like that (still surprisingly rare on the streets)...
Samsung claims, having sold 600.000 units in the first month. This I can believe, given the feedback I receive and the discussions I've had. This figure would be close to iPad (6m units vs. 10m units in year 1). Certainly a huge success for Samsung. Especially in synergy to their range of smartphones. And given the huge portion of parts they manufacture themselves, profitability should be as high as Apple's.

I see one advantage of iPad though: Stability of the OS.
I don't think, iPad ever has crashed on me.
My Android Tabs (Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak as well) crash maybe once or twice per day. Meaning, the respective application hangs and I kill it manually. I'm pretty sure, that's neither Dell's nor Samsung's "fault", but lies in the OS.
Theoretically, I'd prefer Android over iOS, considering openness and features. But for now, iOS seems more "mature".

NoName
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-sprint-version

Thanks for the review, but I wish I had never read it. I wanted the Tab before, and now I want it even more. I don't know if I have the willpower to wait much longer.

I'm waiting for when they have a wifi version out since I can't see adding another monthly charge with Sprint and I have an Evo which I love for a phone.

I've always felt the iPad was way too big and if they had come out with one about half the size I would have jumped onboard. The Tab seems to be the perfect size for me, and even the OS is fine, with an Android phone already.

I've wanted a Tab since I first started seeing announcements and articles about it and the only thing that kept me from being in line the first day it came out was the 2 year plan required. So I wait, and wait.........

Wish there were more news on when a wifi version is coming out so I at least know how long I have to wait.

fyrogenesis
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't think the US versions are phones, but I think the European ones are. If what you need is a phone, there are other great androids out there with 4.3" screens. They're probably easier to hold on to also.

I am Asian, so the Tab here does phone as well. :)

@mgmueller
Does the reader (Kobo) in Tab supported dictionary lookup feature? like in the ipad? it was the most crucial feature for me. :)

mgmueller
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I am Asian, so the Tab here does phone as well. :)

@mgmueller
Does the reader (Kobo) in Tab supported dictionary lookup feature? like in the ipad? it was the most crucial feature for me. :)

I'm not using the standalone Kobo app, but the one coming pre-installed in the readers hub.
It doesn't seem to have dictionary support. I can't highlight any words. If I try to do so, it only shows a windows, giving the title of the chapter and some further details.

fyrogenesis
12-01-2010, 12:19 AM
oh dear. any other android apps with lookup feature? i read classics, so format doesn't matter much.

if no such apps, i have to remove the Tab from my wishlist. :(

mgmueller
12-01-2010, 12:39 AM
oh dear. any other android apps with lookup feature? i read classics, so format doesn't matter much.

if no such apps, i have to remove the Tab from my wishlist. :(

Kindle app: Note, Highlight, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia.
nook app: Highlight, Note, Dictionary, Google, Wikipedia.
I've been told, you can sideload your own content into both apps.

fyrogenesis
12-01-2010, 01:00 AM
thanks for the reply. but it seems the new nook app (for android) now doesnt have dictionary, and kindle (for android) have to be connected to the net always.

i wondered why kindle for ipad got lookup, but not android. if one argues that ipad screen is bigger, why iphone also got it (the lookup feature)? :(

mgmueller
12-01-2010, 01:32 AM
thanks for the reply. but it seems the new nook app (for android) now doesnt have dictionary, and kindle (for android) have to be connected to the net always.

i wondered why kindle for ipad got lookup, but not android. if one argues that ipad screen is bigger, why iphone also got it (the lookup feature)? :(

I've got the most recent versions of both apps. What I've described should be the status quo.
I'll check what happens with both, if I turn WiFi off and deactivate 3G.

fyrogenesis
12-01-2010, 02:51 AM
ok. thanks.
i just read the nook app details on b&n website, no mention of dictionary lookup. Kindle also. in fact, i searched all around the net for android reader software with such feature.. but no avail. everything is iPad. iPad. iPad. even the Kobo for ipad got lookup (offline dictionary). :smack:

abeaty
12-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Can anyone help me understand the differences between the various American carriers? Is the hardware identical in all cases or are their fundamental differences between the units?

While I live in the US, I frequently go to Canada and Europe and would love to be able to use it abroad. Is one carrier more appropriate than another for global travel?

Thanks.

wodin
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM

The K4A app on my HTC EVO 4G has lookup, but yes; it does have to have a network connection in order to access Wikipedia and dictionary.com.

=X=
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Can anyone help me understand the differences between the various American carriers? Is the hardware identical in all cases or are their fundamental differences between the units?

While I live in the US, I frequently go to Canada and Europe and would love to be able to use it abroad. Is one carrier more appropriate than another for global travel?

Thanks.
In very simple terms.

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA

T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM

Most of the world uses GSM, while most of North America uses CDMA.

If you want world access you might want to consider an AT&T or T-Mobile Galaxy Tab.

At the moment AT&T has better international rates, but rumor has it T-Mobile will provide some very good international plan during the holiday season.

If you want more details I recommend you visit a phone site like crackberry.com or Androidcenteral, XDA developers and pose this question.

=X=

fyrogenesis
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
ok. thanks.
i just read the nook app details on b&n website, no mention of dictionary lookup. Kindle also. in fact, i searched all around the net for android reader software with such feature.. but no avail. everything is iPad. iPad. iPad. even the Kobo for ipad got lookup (offline dictionary). :smack:

ok guys. now i know for sure Samsung Tab supported lookup dictionary. :2thumbsup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PO3_iqbQ8 (@4:40)

:thanks:

OrcaBlue
12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
The European versions are not phones either. Carriers are trying to use these tablets to sell secondary data plans. 800 ($1050) is what a free (non-bound) Galaxy Tab costs in Europe. Is this thing really selling???

I believe U.S Galaxy Tab can now make phone call by flashing the US version with European ROM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=847273

OrcaBlue
12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
mgmueller, what is your impression on the Tab as a PDF reader? How it is compared to the Ipad for web browsing?

mgmueller
12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
mgmueller, what is your impression on the Tab as a PDF reader? How it is compared to the Ipad for web browsing?

For the last 4 weeks or so I haven't been using my iPad at all.
Mainly, because it simply is too bulky for me. On the couch I don't find a convenient holding position. Without cover, iPad is okay. But I tend to fall asleep on the couch, so I need some kind of protection.
For the less heavy and bulky Samsung Galaxy Tab that's easy enough.
I don't have any problems at all with web browsing on Galaxy Tab. iPad, given it's bigger display, probably would be even more convenient. But what good is this, if I can't enjoy holding it?

For PDFs I haven't found the right application yet. On iPad I've been using GoodReader. Didn't find anything similar on Galaxy Tab respectively for Androids. But I don't mind, PDFs aren't that important for me. I've given up, trying to do "professional work" on any tablet. It's simply way faster and precise, doing this on a (sub)notebook. So I'm rarely reading any "professional" documents on tablets. I use them for web browsing, eMails, casual reads and the likes. And for this I've only found a single disadvantage of Galaxy Tab in comparison to iPad: Stability.
Whether it's Android or the apps themselves, my Android tablets crash on me more or less every single day. I can't remember, iPad even crashing once.
Still, I very much prefer Galaxy Tab to iPad. And I'm getting more and more fond of Dell Streak, whereas in the meantime I really hate iPhone4 (since the firmware update about 6 weeks ago, the distance sensor isn't working anymore. It's getting mute or the loudspeaker suddenly turns on while speaking....):

wallcraft
12-12-2010, 01:15 PM
For PDFs I haven't found the right application yet. A demo of ezPDF Reader on YouTube looks pretty good, see Nook Color Rooted ezPDF Reader PDF (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPNqa8cS0Sw&feature=player_embedded).

EDIT: This does not show annotations, and that may be what you are looking for.

HansTWN
12-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Mgmueller, if an Android device crashes every day there definitely is something wrong with it. During the last 2 weeks I only had the Streak freeze-up on me once (had to remove the battery). And that was a clear problem with the Skyfire browser it got stuck and the phone stopped responding.

My guess is that you have one or more problem apps on the phone. Try disabling or removing some of the non-essential ones one by one. Try alternative apps that do the same thing. Or perhaps you installed some system tweaks that are causing the shutdowns. I am now using an app called autostarts that lets you prevent programs from starting up by themselves if you don't want to. Dozens of Android apps have the pesky habit of starting and restarting all the time, no matter how often you close them down they will be back up seconds later -- eating your battery and using up program memory. There is no "regular" means to control them.

One physical problem the Streak has is that there is a proximity sensor that shuts off the phone when the back cover has been removed. Now if the cover is just slightly bent (it is quite thin and if you change batteries often it happens), the phone may reboot by itself quite easily. There are instructions available on how to disable that proximity switch, I just straightened the cover a little bit and haven't had a problem since. The user ROM from Steve has disabled the switch from the software side.

mgmueller
12-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Mgmueller, if an Android device crashes every day there definitely is something wrong with it. During the last 2 weeks I only had the Streak freeze-up on me once (had to remove the battery). And that was a clear problem with the Skyfire browser it got stuck and the phone stopped responding.

My guess is that you have one or more problem apps on the phone. Try disabling or removing some of the non-essential ones one by one. Try alternative apps that do the same thing. Or perhaps you installed some system tweaks that are causing the shutdowns. I am now using an app called autostarts that lets you prevent programs from starting up by themselves if you don't want to. Dozens of Android apps have the pesky habit of starting and restarting all the time, no matter how often you close them down they will be back up seconds later -- eating your battery and using up program memory. There is no "regular" means to control them.

One physical problem the Streak has is that there is a proximity sensor that shuts off the phone when the back cover has been removed. Now if the cover is just slightly bent (it is quite thin and if you change batteries often it happens), the phone may reboot by itself quite easily. There are instructions available on how to disable that proximity switch, I just straightened the cover a little bit and haven't had a problem since. The user ROM from Steve has disabled the switch from the software side.

I didn't tweak Samsung Galaxy Tab or Dell Streak. But I've got tons of apps on both (more or less the very same apps on both).
Most of the time I'm able to reproduce the crashes. It's definitely "faulty" apps. Still, this didn't happen to me on iPad. On the other hand I gladly can live with that kind of instability. I don't have some kind of a "blue screen of death" or something like that, some apps simply hang themselves and block the system for maybe 15 seconds.
Maybe I'll check for the specific apps over the holidays...

kbaerwald
12-19-2010, 01:26 PM
For PDFs I haven't found the right application yet. On iPad I've been using GoodReader. Didn't find anything similar on Galaxy Tab respectively for Androids. But I don't mind, PDFs aren't that important for me. I've given up, trying to do "professional work" on any tablet. It's simply way faster and precise, doing this on a (sub)notebook. ...

Just ordered the Galaxy Tab here in Germany (as of today lowest price approx. 560 Euro).

You mentioned the lack of a "right" app for reading pdf: does it mean there is no app or not the right one :rolleyes:. I cannot imagine that pdf is not known to Android. Btw: these are my first steps into this world.

mgmueller
12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Just ordered the Galaxy Tab here in Germany (as of today lowest price approx. 560 Euro).

You mentioned the lack of a "right" app for reading pdf: does it mean there is no app or not the right one :rolleyes:. I cannot imagine that pdf is not known to Android. Btw: these are my first steps into this world.

There are numerous apps for reading PDFs on Android. I just haven't found the "right" one yet. Quite frankly, I didn't look very intensively though. I'm not that much into PDFs. But for "professional" documents (contracts, SLAs, proposals, text books, ...) results of most apps are far from perfect.
Either they use reflow, which simply "kills" the original layout and looses lots of details (graphs, pictures, formulas, ...). Or they use very basic zoom functionality. I'd like to have "smart" zoom, for example identifying columns and such...

Congrats to your Galaxy Tab. You certainly won't regret it.
But you shouldn't have mentioned the price, will cost me some hours of sleep.;)
I've paid € 720 or something like that 6 or 8 weeks ago...

BTW: First app to install on Galaxy Tab should be "Spare Parts" from the Android market. It allows for full zoom (= full screen, even if the app has been designed for non-HD units) of all apps. Else you'll have the "iPhone" effect for maybe 60% of all apps.

kbaerwald
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Congrats to your Galaxy Tab. You certainly won't regret it.
But you shouldn't have mentioned the price, will cost me some hours of sleep.;)
I've paid 720 or something like that 6 or 8 weeks ago...

Yes - I am rather not an early adopter - but also do not belong to the sort of people who buy the product shortly before EOS (end of support) :D. I hope the stuff arrives before Xmas so to play a little bit with Android and see if it can be used as ereader when my PRS-650 is not around.

kennyc
12-22-2010, 09:16 AM
CW reviewed 4 tablets and chose Galaxy as with "winner:"

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112463

injapan
12-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Thanks for all the info on the Galaxy Tab, very interesting. I am thinking of buying one soon. Looks great except for the battery life? But I am not a big reader, 5 ~ 8 hours is probably OK for me
Thanks

kalex
12-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm using my Galaxy Tab quite frequently as a phone.
(both using the very same provider, same Multi-SIM).

Last week, on Tab, in the hotel I've done for example:
Downloading a movie and a TV episode from the usenet. Directly on the Tab, no jailbreak or anything like that needed. I've unrared, again directly on the unit. And I've watched the DivX movies without any problems.
I've downloaded in the background of course, while multi-tasking.

I have to ask :)

What is Multi-SIM?

What Apps did you use for usenet stuff? Very interesting. Didn't know it was possible on the android.

Thanks

Alex

mgmueller
12-31-2010, 07:55 AM
I have to ask :)

What is Multi-SIM?

What Apps did you use for usenet stuff? Very interesting. Didn't know it was possible on the android.

Thanks

Alex

Multi-SIM means, I've got the "old" T-Mobile tariff from 2007. I've got a data flatrate for my iPhone and can add another 2 SIMs without costs. So I'm using the same flatrate on iPhone4, Galaxy Tab and iPad. Unfortunately, it's limited to 3 SIMs. In 2007, it was up to 8 SIMs.

There are numerous apps for the usenet on Android.
Just search for "nzb".
I've got 2 apps: 1 for downloading the files and another 1 for searching and downloading the NZBs (directly integrated in the other app).
I wouldn't download tons of data.
But it's great for downloading a TV episode while stuck in a hotel for example.

mgmueller
12-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the info on the Galaxy Tab, very interesting. I am thinking of buying one soon. Looks great except for the battery life? But I am not a big reader, 5 ~ 8 hours is probably OK for me
Thanks

Without WiFi and other battery hogs, you probably can make 10 instead of 7 hours (if you only want to read for example).

bbusybookworm
01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the review and the comments.

While I currently have an iPad, I'm looking closely at Android Tablets and the Samsung Galaxy Tab in particular as a potential replacement as I find the iPad too big and unwieldy to carry easily when out without a bag which is not always an option.

I was pretty sold on the Tab despite some to the limitations, but am holding back till at least CES to see what's on the near horizon, as I don't want to shell out for a tablet and immediately regret it.

wodin
01-05-2011, 03:02 AM
Speaking of CES, I'm hearing all the bloggers screaming about "the year of the tablet", but have so far heard very little substantiative about any.

Is anyone here actually at CES, and have any early breaking news for us? Is there anything out there better/cheaper/faster than the Galaxy Tab?

kennyc
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
You might check here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=CES+2011&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=CES+2011&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ttm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnsu&source=univ&tbs=nws:1&tbo=u&ei=SVQkTdaqE4OqsAOTqKimAQ&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CFYQqAIwAw&fp=b07f551f8262d809

starts tomorrow I believe....

TallMomof2
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I wish I had skipped the cheaper 7" tablets and gone straight to the Galaxy Tab. It is well worth the price difference. I haven't even picked up my Kindle since I bought this little LCD tablet. Considering that I only paid $100 less for the first Kindle three years ago, the Galaxy Tab is almost a bargain.

Samsung is introducing a wifi only version this quarter.

The biggest con is that the current Galaxy Tab will not be powerful enough for Honeycomb (Android 2.3) but honestly the Tab allows me to do everything I want or need to do with a 7" tablet and it's running 2.2.

If only the US version had the phone enabled I would drop my phone and use the Tab exclusively. It's possible to root the Tab for phone functionality but I'm with Verizon (no SIM chips).

kbaerwald
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
The biggest con is that the current Galaxy Tab will not be powerful enough for Honeycomb (Android 2.3) but honestly the Tab allows me to do everything I want or need to do with a 7" tablet and it's running 2.2.

Can you quote your source? I have read in a German IT journal of even moving it to Android 3 (http://www.computerwoche.de/netzwerke/mobile-wireless/2356788/)!

jasonkchapman
01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I think we're getting our names crossed. Android 2.3 is Gingerbread. Android 3.0 is Honeycomb.

There was a story going around recently that Honeycomb would require a dual core processor, but at this point, I'm pretty it's not true.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/honeycomb-will-not-require-dual-core-cpu-as-minimum-hardware-spe/

TallMomof2
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Oops, sorry! I was multi-tasking and mistyped. I meant 3.0, of course. Everything I've read in the last day or so has stated that 3.0 requires dual processors.

Honestly, right now the Galaxy Tab does everything I was looking for in a tablet.

=X=
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
@TallMom That is just a rumor, Google has not set a processor requirement on 3.0.

=X=

wodin
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Oops, sorry! I was multi-tasking and mistyped. I meant 3.0, of course. Everything I've read in the last day or so has stated that 3.0 requires dual processors.

Honestly, right now the Galaxy Tab does everything I was looking for in a tablet.

You too huh? All of my computers mutitask because I'm not good at it. :smack:

kalex
01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Multi-SIM means, I've got the "old" T-Mobile tariff from 2007. I've got a data flatrate for my iPhone and can add another 2 SIMs without costs. So I'm using the same flatrate on iPhone4, Galaxy Tab and iPad. Unfortunately, it's limited to 3 SIMs. In 2007, it was up to 8 SIMs.

There are numerous apps for the usenet on Android.
Just search for "nzb".
I've got 2 apps: 1 for downloading the files and another 1 for searching and downloading the NZBs (directly integrated in the other app).
I wouldn't download tons of data.
But it's great for downloading a TV episode while stuck in a hotel for example.

Ah that's what Multi-SIM is. We don't have that in USA. You can only have one sim per phone number.

Which apps are you using? I found few but its hard to figure out which one is better :) so if someone is using something that works I wouldn't mind using same. Less work for me :) You are right its not something I would do often but if I'm stuck somewhere this would help pass the time.

mgmueller
01-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Ah that's what Multi-SIM is. We don't have that in USA. You can only have one sim per phone number.

Which apps are you using? I found few but its hard to figure out which one is better :) so if someone is using something that works I wouldn't mind using same. Less work for me :) You are right its not something I would do often but if I'm stuck somewhere this would help pass the time.

I'm using NewzDroid on Galaxy Tab. Strange enough, I don't find it in the market, when searching on Dell Streak. Maybe it's only working for certain hardware...
Within NewzDroid, you can integrate various search engines, available as standalone apps and in parallel as some kind of plug-in for NewzDroid.
Just downloading Mentalist S3E11. :-)

kalex
01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
sweet. thanks for the app list :)

jocampo
01-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Bought one today! :thumbsup:

I am planning to use this device as "on the go" for my Internet needs and for read some B&N magazines. I just installed B&N and Kindle app. I do have full access to Android Market and the tablet does support Flash.

Extremely responsive screen, as good as iPad and better than Nook Color which is a locked device, heavier and not so fast.

Just 13 ounces!

I do have an open post here with my initial impressions! ;) ...

mgmueller
01-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Bought one today! :thumbsup:

I am planning to use this device as "on the go" for my Internet needs and for read some B&N magazines. I just installed B&N and Kindle app. I do have full access to Android Market and the tablet does support Flash.

Extremely responsive screen, as good as iPad and better than Nook Color which is a locked device, heavier and not so fast.

Just 13 ounces!

I do have an open post here with my initial impressions! ;) ...

Did you tweak the display/resolution via "Spare Parts" yet?
The main weakness I found on Galaxy Tab is the usage of apps designed for lower resolution. Some don't work at all, some don't zoom, others look similar to iPhone apps on iPad.
With "Spare Parts", officially available from the Android market, you can tweak the zooming. Makes all the difference...

bencooper
02-05-2011, 04:17 AM
MG Meuller - am I missing something? I have Middle East GTab, with 12 giga on-board. I have download PDFs from laptop and these are mainly readable through My Files or ThinkFree, both preloaded. It's a bit clunky having to resize the page each time though (a few PDFs are blank with a red cross through each page?)

jocampo
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
MG Meuller - am I missing something? I have Middle East GTab, with 12 giga on-board. I have download PDFs from laptop and these are mainly readable through My Files or ThinkFree, both preloaded. It's a bit clunky having to resize the page each time though (a few PDFs are blank with a red cross through each page?)

Hmmm, I have not experienced that problem on mine. Could be some kind protection maybe? Are you sure that PDF is readable outside of the GT?

kbaerwald
02-05-2011, 11:55 AM
... or try the "ezPDF Reader" app: if it cannot read the pdf files in question they might be with DRM or defect.

jgray
02-06-2011, 03:00 AM
I tried a GT in the local Best Buy a few weeks ago and was impressed with both the hardware and the software. Although dual-core processors and Honeycomb are the current hot thing, Samsung did a very nice job with what was available at the time.

I don't need 3G data on a tablet and certainly don't want to pay for a data plan for it. A WiFi only tablet would suit my needs.

I understand that Samsung will be announcing a new tablet in a few weeks. Also, with all the other tablet announcements, I'm going to hold out for a few months to see what turns up for sale. Meanwhile, I'm reading on my Android phone, since selling my Sony reader. The phone screen is rather small, but Aldiko is a very good reader app.

A 7-8 inch size is what I want. A 9-10 inch tablet is too big to be easily portable. Ideally, I'd like Honeycomb on my tablet, and the price to be under $400. Oh, and I'd like a pony :)

Joe

wodin
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I tried a GT in the local Best Buy a few weeks ago and was impressed with both the hardware and the software. Although dual-core processors and Honeycomb are the current hot thing, Samsung did a very nice job with what was available at the time.

I don't need 3G data on a tablet and certainly don't want to pay for a data plan for it. A WiFi only tablet would suit my needs.

I understand that Samsung will be announcing a new tablet in a few weeks. Also, with all the other tablet announcements, I'm going to hold out for a few months to see what turns up for sale. Meanwhile, I'm reading on my Android phone, since selling my Sony reader. The phone screen is rather small, but Aldiko is a very good reader app.

A 7-8 inch size is what I want. A 9-10 inch tablet is too big to be easily portable. Ideally, I'd like Honeycomb on my tablet, and the price to be under $400. Oh, and I'd like a pony :)

Joe

With exception of selling my Sony and JetBook, (I NEVER sell dead technology) my position exactly!

jgray
02-07-2011, 05:12 AM
With exception of selling my Sony and JetBook, (I NEVER sell dead technology) my position exactly!

I had to sell my Sony. I can't afford too many toys at once :(

Funny QR code.

Joe

Namekuseijin
02-10-2011, 02:06 PM

BTW, I just realized this is less of an issue than anything else: it's been ages since last time I talked with the phone glued to my ear. It's been ages now since all such cellphones come with earplugs and a mic, and they work much better by isolating your talk from external noise, plus freeing your hands. Also, seemingly radiation concerns from proximity are over...