View Full Version : My first impressions of the E.Edge

thinkpad
11-28-2010, 05:27 AM
So I finally got my Entourage Edge. I ordered it from Amazon U.S and had it shipped through a forwarding company to Norway.

The first thing I noticed when unpacking it from the box was:
If I'm going to keep this in my back-pack I need a sleeve to put it in. I thought that since the two screens fold together that would be protection enough, but since there are no hooks to keep it closed I'm afraid something might get jammed between them and damage one of the screens.

The second thing I noticed was that it's really heavy. I charged it for 8 hours and started to read the user manual. The weight is less of a problem when you get used to support the device on something.

The e-ink screen side looks amazing, the lcd screen suffers from glare in a brightly lit room.

As I clicked through the user manual on the e-ink side I noticed that the forward button has a distinct click sound. Coming from the K2i with a more subtle click sound I find it annoying.

Imagine sitting in a quite library clicking away, I'm pretty sure I would be told to go somewhere-else. The remedy for this might be to use the stylus and click on the arrow pages at the bottom of the screen but this is somewhat cumbersome. What was the engineers thinking :smack:. If Amazon has managed to keep the click sound to a minimum surely others must be able to do the same.

Being able to replace the battery is a good thing and a big plus. The SD-card slot is also very handy.

I'm sure I will have more things to point out after using it for a while. These where just my first impressions.

I've bought myself a SDHC card (Sandisc 16GB Extreme 30MB/s) and moved the device storage to the SD Card by following the steps in the Entourage Manual. I've now got 14.8 GB instead of the 4 GB internal memory.

thinkpad
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I've played around on the LCD-screen side and scrolling is a real pain. I opened the help section and scrolling the text is just lagging. It doesn't matter if I try to scroll with my finger the stylus or with the trackball. It still lags :smack:

Scrolling in web pages is somewhat smoother. It seems to be the help app that's got some scrolling issues.

pendragginp
11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, I'm sorry you're having some difficulties. I find the PE to be very responsive.
And the click of the page button is so soft it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe yours is louder.

pendragginp
11-28-2010, 12:23 PM
The regular Edge is pretty large and heavy. That's why I decided not to get it after my initial interest, and why I went for the Pocket when it came out.

thinkpad
11-28-2010, 01:32 PM
One feature I found absolutely brilliant was when you're on a web page with a lot of text and you want to read it on the e-ink screen you have the option to convert the page to e-pub (on the fly) and read it on the e-ink screen. I've tried it on 1 page so far and it worked like a charm :thumbsup:

sarah11918
11-29-2010, 02:31 AM
One feature I found absolutely brilliant was when you're on a web page with a lot of text and you want to read it on the e-ink screen you have the option to convert the page to e-pub (on the fly) and read it on the e-ink screen.

Yes! I love this, too. Most of my reading on the edge is web pages printed to pdf, then loaded onto an SD card and onto the edge. Being able to do this right on the device is killer.

beachwanderer
11-29-2010, 04:23 AM
I've played around on the LCD-screen side and scrolling is a real pain. I opened the help section and scrolling the text is just lagging. It doesn't matter if I try to scroll with my finger the stylus or with the trackball. It still lags

:chinscratch: No such problems here.

Do you have difficulties with the virtual keyboard too? Which firmware is on your eDGe?

One feature I found absolutely brilliant was when you're on a web page with a lot of text and you want to read it on the e-ink screen you have the option to convert the page to e-pub (on the fly) and read it on the e-ink screen. Yes. I've come to use this feature very often now too. :thumbsup:

distinct click soundYou are right there, but I think it wears off a little. When working with the eDGe I'm using the stylus most of the, and so it doesn't really matter to me.

thinkpad
11-29-2010, 05:04 AM
:chinscratch: No such problems here.

Do you have difficulties with the virtual keyboard too? Which firmware is on your eDGe?
I believe the device was shipped with the latest firmware. The update app told me that I already had the latest release. No problem with the keyboard.

I guess part of my problem is coming from a HTC Hero with a capacitive touch screen where every little scrolling goes extremely smooth. I'm not used having to make a firm press for the scrolling to start.

Going away from the trackball on the smaller model is a good thing because so far I've found it absolutely useless. It wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked but scrolling with it isn't any fun experience.

I've ordered a SANDISK SECURE DIGITAL EXTREME SDHC 8GB 30MB/S
and were planning to move everything out to this memory card. Another thing that is a very good feature :thumbsup:

beachwanderer
11-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Going away from the trackball on the smaller model is a good thing ... It wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked but scrolling with it isn't any fun experience.

;) Probably true.

because so far I've found it absolutely useless.

:chinscratch: You'll need it with Documents To Go ... :D

borisb
11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
I believe the device was shipped with the latest firmware. The update app told me that I already had the latest release. No problem with the keyboard.

The current firmware version for the Pocket eDGe is "DINGO 1.10". You can find this under Menu - Settings - About - Build Number.

pendragginp
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
boris, I think the OP has the original Edge, not the Pocket - ?

borisb
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Ah, yes. There's so much going around about the Pocket eDGe, I lose track sometimes :)

The original eDGe is currently at DINGO 1.6. enTourage has said 1.10 will be released this week for the original eDGe.

thinkpad
11-30-2010, 03:06 AM
I tried the journal application yesterday. What a treat, very useful :thumbsup:. Does anyone know if it's possible to get more precision with a Wacom Penabled pen?

sarah11918
11-30-2010, 05:30 AM
I tried the journal application yesterday. What a treat, very useful :thumbsup:. Does anyone know if it's possible to get more precision with a Wacom Penabled pen?

I don't know whether I'd say more "precision"... but definitely more comfort, ergonomics etc. We've discussed pens that do and don't work in more detail on the entourage edge forum, but the fancy upgraded pen that a few of us chose is the Motion Computing L-series pen. http://www.motioncomputing.com/choose/spec_pen_L.htm

Note that the eraser on the pen doesn't work, but the pen is super nice. Many of us consider it an essential upgrade. :)

borisb
11-30-2010, 09:57 AM
If by "precision" you mean writing smaller and more cleanly, then yes.

thinkpad
11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I got the pen from a Amazon dealer for a fair price $25. Seen it costs around $35 other places. It's the shipping that's gonna cost me since they don't ship internationally so once again I have to go through a forwarding company.

thinkpad
11-30-2010, 12:23 PM
How do one use Doc2Go. I tried to create a Word document but a virtual keyboard never came up, so how is one supposed to type in letters? :blink:

borisb
11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Press and hold the Menu button and the keyboard will appear.

The PDF manual is available here: http://download.dataviz.com/pdf/manuals/DTG_Android_Manualv3.pdf.

thinkpad
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm having big problems connecting to the WiFi network at home with a wireless AP (D-Link DWL-G700AP). At work there's no problem but when trying to connect at home it says: "Trying to obtain IP-address" and fails. This is somewhat strange since I have both my phone and my laptop connected to the wireless network without problem.

Next thing to check will be to install a router with built-in WiFi instead of the AP.

borisb
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Make sure the security details are the same (e.g. WEP, AES, security code) as you're using on your other devices.

Also, if you're in Europe, you may have different channels available than the default used by the eDGe. Explore the eDGe's wifi settings.

hartjjtm
12-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi. I just joined and have a question about the Pocket Edge. I bought one several weeks ago and have until next month to return it. I wanted a ereader and thought this would be great with the two screens-it was an impulse buy after only minimul research. Being pretty unsophisticated about ereaders, I narrowed down what I am looking for to what I must have and what would be nice:
Need
Memory. 3-4 mg + card expansion
web access-of course wi-fi, but free 3g would be nice
Access to library books!!!
Good battery life
Want
Color
not USB charging

I like the pocket edge, but it is a bit heavy. Also, I don't think it can access library books. Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the wi-fi so my battery drains pretty quickly. I love the web access, but no 3g. If I could figure out how to download library books, it would probably be okay. The other one I am considering is the sony 950. Black and white is a problem, but 3g, battery life, and library access are really important.
Anyone know a good option that combines all the things I am looking for in the $300 range and has a good rating by a lot of reviewers?
Thanks for your help!!!!

borisb
12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
The eDGe can access public library ebooks. Go to http://www.entourageedge.com/forums and search for "library book" and another search for "Overdrive".

For 3G, you're best off getting a "mifi" device. This is provided by cellphone companies and creates a local wifi hotspot that you can connect up to 5 devices, too, just like you connect them to your home wifi or a wifi at a coffee shop. It uses a cell connection for the Internet access.

sarah11918
12-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Going on a bit of a tangent here re: mifi -- we were given a Vodaphone pocket wifi (I believe it's similar to a mifi) at the conference we were just at and are looking at Canadian and roaming (Europe mostly) sim card options. Boris, do you have a mifi? Have you found anything better than a Rogers data plan for it for use in Canada?

beachwanderer
12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm using one of those neat Huawei-pocket-wifis too with the eDGe when in need. Got a prepaid sim of a german telco. They charge 0,24 EUR/MB Data (which is fine for some quick surfing without chunky downloads, e-mail and research when necessary). One can get a prepaid 30 Day Data "Flat" (capped at 1 GB Max) for 9,90 EUR too if that's needed.

borisb
12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Going on a bit of a tangent here re: mifi -- we were given a Vodaphone pocket wifi (I believe it's similar to a mifi) at the conference we were just at and are looking at Canadian and roaming (Europe mostly) sim card options. Boris, do you have a mifi? Have you found anything better than a Rogers data plan for it for use in Canada?

I'm using the Telus Mobility one. I have the $35/mo "flex" plan (http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/flex_plan/index.shtml) that charges you the best monthly rate based on your total usage.

For a total of 500 Mb or less, you pay $35, for a total of 1 Gb or less you pay $45, for 2 Gb or less you pay $55, and for 5 Gb or less you pay $70. After 5 Gb, you pay the overage rate (I'm not sure the amount). These don't cover international roaming (which is billed at a flat per Mb rate).

highwayman
02-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Just thinking that it would be a killer app if you could get Kindle for Android to work on the Edge and use the eInk screen:offtopic:

thinkpad
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I would be glad if they could get Android 2.2 up and running on it. As it is now it still runs Android 1.6.

thinkpad
02-04-2011, 05:09 AM
There has been activity on the Entourage forum regarding the 2.2 release:
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?1576-A-long-overdue-update&p=14539#post14539
What I can tell you is that things are well underway with Android 2.2 and that I have our Ermine release (yes, the next furry beast) on both my pocket edge and entourage edge.

it is not ready for prime time as we are still awaiting new code from one partner. Once we get that in and test everything thoroughly, then we will release it. While I am hoping for the end of February, I believe it will be ready the middle of March

thinkpad
02-19-2011, 03:32 AM
I've got a strange bug. The Edge no longer charges the battery when turned off. I need to switch on the device and keep it on for the battery to charge.

The Power LED can be green or red, and blinking or solid. This list describes the colors and their meanings:

* Green and blinking - battery is charging
* Green and solid (not blinking) fully charged or in use
* Red and slow blinking - battery fault
* Red and fast blinking - battery is critically low
* Red and solid - battery is missing or not properly installed in the device
* If the Power LED is not lit at all, the power to your enTourage eDGe is off and the AC adaptor is not plugged in.

https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=141&nav=0,18
Something to keep in mind if you experience the Entourage eDGe taking an abnormal amount of time to charge:
The Entourage eDGe battery charges to 100% in about 2hours so long as you stay above 5% charge. If you truly exhaust a battery by using it until the device forces a power off, it can take up to 12 hours to go from 0 to 100%. It takes about 10 hours to trickle charge an exhausted battery to get it up to an acceptable level (about 5%) to ensure the battery is not damaged. Once the battery is charged to 5%, the rest of the battery can charge very quickly.

The AC plug is something that seems to bug a lot of people including myself:
http://www.entourageedge.com/blog/?p=412
I’ve found that my AC plug needs to be firmly inserted to charge – if it wiggles out by more than about 1mm, the connection is lost. I recall another user saying that his AC plug is even more sensitive than Carolyn’s

2 big issues with it:
1) Its very flimsy feeling (much like a cell phone plug-in). I worry that it will break over time. Its fairly hard to make sure that it stays firmly plugged in such that the unit charges well. Probably in a future version, it would be good to make a better connection here.

2) Its location on the side is not very good, because that can dictate which way you hold/use the eDGe while you are plugged in. I’m right handed, and I typically have the wall plug on my right, so I have to use the eDGe with the e-Paper interface on the right side while charging.

On another note I've gotten the sleeve to the Edge and it's really nice and sturdy built, it even comes with a handle for carrying it around. I'll post some pictures later on.

sarah11918
02-19-2011, 09:18 AM
The problem a lot of us users were having before was that the first batch of edges shipped with the wrong sized power adaptor. (The tip only 7.5 mm long instead of 9 mm.) This was discovered and remedied pretty early on, but some of us needed to be shipped new power adaptors (not the full brick, just the part that plugs into it).

It would be strange if this is what happened to you, given that your machine was purchased so recently. But it's possible you received one of those older power cords. They did work for most people, for a certain amount of time, and then started acting up in a variety of ways displaying finicky charging behaviour.

So just in case, measure the metal tip of your charger and see if you've got a 7.5 mm or 9mm length. If you did get the short one, entourage will gladly send you the correct one.

The other thing I noticed is that charging the machine when it's under 15% battery life is different than when it's above 15% battery life. (See here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?392-Charging-from-low-battery-status-quirk&p=2510#post2510) so is there any chance that this behaviour you're noticing is only when the battery is quite low?

Otherwise I'd say it's time to contact Entourage because that isn't normal behaviour.

thinkpad
02-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your response Sarah. I will make sure to measure the metal tip. It does feel a bit small, I will defenetly check it out. I ordered the Edge from Amazon, maybe they had the old models in stock with the old tip when I ordered.

sarah11918
02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Interesting... I guess it's entirely possible Amazon has some older units. I hope that's your problem, because it's a quick and easy fix!

Filark
02-20-2011, 01:51 AM
I'd like to see those pictures, Thinkpadx! :)

thinkpad
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I'll try to post a picture today. For the human eye It doesn't seem like I've got the narrow tip, but it still feels a bit wiggly when connected.

sarah11918
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll try to post a picture today. For the human eye It doesn't seem like I've got the narrow tip, but it still feels a bit wiggly when connected.

Just to clarify, if it's the problem with having the wrong tip, it's not that the tip would be too narrow/wide; it's that the tip would be too short to make a full connection. But it's still long enough to connect somewhat; it doesn't simply fall completely out of the hole. I think this is why people were experiencing different symptoms (you had to wiggle to get the connection just right for it to charge, you would think it was charging but then it just randomly would stop charging, it just might never make that perfect connection to charge, etc.)

So if you're going to measure, measure the length of the metal part of the tip. That's how I knew for sure that I had that problem. It was clearly 7.5mm instead of 9mm.

thinkpad
02-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Ok, that clarifies things, thanks Sarah. I'll make sure to measure the right way :o

thinkpad
02-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Here's the pictures, it's definitely 9 mm

On a side note I measured the power supply with my Lenovo 65W power supply and the one from Entourage is actually bigger :smack:
Why did they have to make it so big. I have enough gadgets and cords in my bag-pack already.

I will not be keeping the device. I've bought a tablet-pc and there's just too many devices to carry around. I will miss the e-ink screen and the benefit of having everything integrated and in one place, but I will not miss the sluggishness. Hopefully it will be able to perform better when the 2.2 update arrives later this year.

sarah11918
02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Hmm... not sure what your problem would have been then. With a tablet PC, then certainly the edge is redundant for most tasks. I've found it to be a good compromise though, since I did not want to spend for a full tablet PC (mostly just wanted Journal and annotation capabilities, and would rather not use Windows).

For me, an all-in-one device, even if less sleek and responsive, is more appealing as my needs are pretty minimal and I really can do everything I need with just one device. When I was between macbooks, I even used the edge as my only computer for about 6 weeks and was surprisingly able to function at around 85-90% capacity.

Which tablet PC did you go for? When I was working, I used them exclusively. In retirement, I couldn't really justify them, so I haven't really kept up with the latest offerings.

thinkpad
02-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I went for an older model with a 4:3 ratio screen, bought from eBay: Thinkpad x61t. I don't like the new widescreen versions. I've installed windows 7 and an SSD disk on it and it runs surprisingly smooth.

The handwriting recognition in Windows 7 is amazing and usually spot on. For my PDFs I'm using PDF Annotator (http://www.ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator/) which works really well but it will set you back $70.

The tablet will replace my current work laptop.

sarah11918
02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, we picked up an old Motion Computing slate (M1400 I think?) for a few hundred bucks on ebay 18 months ago and put windows 7 on it. XP was never bad for handwriting, but Windows 7 is quite impressive!

We use PDF Pen and PDF Clerk, and I recently found (for my Mac) an open source program called Jarnal (basically Windows Journal Note) that has versions for Mac, Windows and Linux so the files can be read/edited across platforms. I have an entire directory of notes on my Mac that I can't view/convert to pdf unless I run Parallels with Windows Note Journal Viewer. I wish I'd known about this open option at the time.

thinkpad
02-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I've looked at the Motion Computing slates before, nice devices but usually very expensive. A few hundred bucks sounds like a good bargain :thumbsup:.

sarah11918
02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Yes, very nice machines. The one we got was obviously quite oooooold for so little, but some extra memory and Windows 7 and it's serviceable. Still a little slow, but hubby likes to make hand drawn slides for his presentations. Some day I have to sit down with it and pdf all my old files so I can at least see them on my mac again.