View Full Version : A (long) Nook Color review from an experienced ebook reader

Liviu_5
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I got one on Sunday - saw it last Friday at BN and would have bought it on the spot, but they were out of the 4 reserved/refused ones, with the last sold in front of me :(

Luckily Best Buy near me got 5 on Saturday; after calling all the BN around and putting my name on their list at each, i found out Sat night that BB sells them too and when i saw that the Hartsdale store has them in stock, I was there Sunday morning at the open...

My Sony 700 died this spring after 18 months of heavy use when only the Itouch saw some reading use on the go and they replaced it with a cool, crisp and fast Sony 650 (extended warranty, so free but no more 700's) but the 650 has no reading light and it's very hard to use at home without lighting the house like a store since I hate reading lamps, book lights and all... Great for park, library/bookstore use, but...

So back to the faithful Nokia 770 still going strong since 2006 for home use and the joys of triple device book maintenance especially that Calibre services the PRS and the iTouch, but not the Nokia...

So when Nook Color was announced I was really curious - checked some earlier color readers like the Pandigital one at Best Buy which is slow and sluggish - and the in-store demo just sold me on it.

After using it for several days with both epubs and pdf's (some huge including with heavy color pictures and the like), Nook Color is just awesome.

I have pretty much only my content and deleted the BN stuff from the BN account and Calibre works perfectly with it, as does drag and drop on the PC.

I have tried web browsing and it does a decent job so i may use it the way i use my iTouch now when i need something online quickly somewhere where there is wi-fi (bed, library, bookstore, Mcdonalds and the like) but no more.

I have not tried music, audio books (except for the read aloud feature for one of the children book they offer as sample at Bn and that is good) or video since I have no interest in that for now on NC.

So I will talk about epubs, pdf's and miscellanea

Epubs: I use Sepia with varying brightness (in home 20%, lighted store closer to 50%, outdoors same though not yet seen it in bright sun - November and all). Excellent navigation with page cursor, fast, intuitive bookmarking, good in-book menu; fonts i use as they go but so far I need lower size than on the PRS 650 for reading - the NC is just clearer; bookmarks seem to be internal to the book and not in the same place as in the Sony line

Search works well though there is no enter page number, just cursor navigation, but with page displayed as you move the cursor and pretty fine cursor pinpointing at what number you want not the jerky one of the PRS
On the 650/700 go-to-page works better

Two ways of moving pages (swipe left page back, tap right page for ahead, the opposite for back)

Superb - and I cannot overemphasize this - rendering of Spanish, Romanian, French characters; seems to work only with European fonts perfectly and with others only in some cases as per the guide, so you need to use pdf's or embedded fonts in epubs for such, but for what i need it's just awesome

Pdf's: the best handling I've seen so far in a small device; crisp rendering of color pictures, fast zooms either with the fingers or with a screen button under the device; superb navigation with enter page# from the pdf in-book menu which is very different than the epub; no search, bookmarking or in-book links/contents so far and hopefully those will be added but that is a minor annoyance for now
Page number appears on top at a tap in a faded but big font so it's not a distraction and you need to remember it (roughly) if you change books, but the go-to-page is pretty instantaneous

Moving pages is done by swiping top-bottom ahead, bottom-top, back, though once in a while fiddling at the left/right edges with zooms moved pages also, but I am not sure why/how

Again cannot emphasize how fast is the pdf load and how crisp are the books - i have a double page scan admittedly of a small format book but still...that you can read in horizontal mode as is, without zooming, scrolling...

Can scroll and all if needed too while have no real idea how reflow works but the NC is so crisp, reflow is not needed most of the time unless the pdf started very small fonted so with lots of characters per page, otherwise just zoom it to the fit page and you can read it comfortably

Misc: library sees all your books if you put them in the appropriate place and while I had an issue once when I disconnected the NC and it said something about being corrupted (calibre was still putting a book on it and I forgot), restarting fixed it;

No delete in-device, need to use either the files or Calibre delete, while for BN books, need to go to your account there

have option of arranging books chronologically in access mode not like in the PRS line only in "when on device" mode - here access means "when on device" too, so adding new books bumps them to the top, but when you read from a book that goes to the top; this is just superb since in the PRS I needed to use Notes for that, in the iTouch there is only a 5 book limit (for Stanza which is the only thing i use there btw) and FbReader on the 770 used to have up to 100 recent book remembering, but now it has only 10

Here no issue; can order on authors/title but do not need; same with other ways of displaying the library in which i am not interested - just chronological list; I do not use shelves and the like since search gives me any book on NC instantly and chronological order allows me to move in-between the latest reads directly (for pdf's as above, need to go-to-page since no bookmarking or remembering of place-in-book for now, but again that is fast)

Library or whole NC search impressive and real time - type one letter, two letters... it gets you there; that + chronological ordering makes perfect

Book covers - hit or miss as others noted, but could not care less

Weight/handling - while the PRS is lighter, the NC feels solid and it's not a drag reading one handed and writing or doing something else; does not feel to have 1 lb, while the form size is perfect (the biggest failure of the iPad for a reader like me is that it essentially needs 3 hands and it's a bit on the heavy side too)

Charging/USB connection - so far, so good; heavy use gave me good hours (4-5 and i had 50% left -you can check precise battery charge with the in_nook menu under device, as well as see it on an outside bar roughly) and I charge it daily, but I miss USB charging and the prop. adapter is ultra-annoying; hopefully it won't break; the switch of the cable from USB slot to charger slot is also annoying, i would have preferred two cables

No cover/sleeve so far, I use the shorter one from the PRS 650 which is ok; i plan to get a NC sleeve soon (goes for 9$ on eBay or 20$ at BN) ; I feel that cover would add too much bulk and i had no issues with my PRS 650 in a sleeve and even preferred it to the Prs 700 in its cover

Overall look - superb, elegant - with indicators for time (another pet peeve with the 700 and the Nokia 770 too for that matter), battery, sounds (have in-book on, system off) automatic notice indicator (eg when in BN it tells you can connect to them and read books for free..)
No buttons except for home and I do not mind that

BN in-store works beautifully - tried it twice (Su, Mo) and (fast) read one 700 book end-to-end (have a review copy for anyone questioning the propriety of that) in two sittings, tried another book and read about half too though this one seem to have page limits for in-store free reading or just that i have reached the hour, though the message i got said mentioned page limits (have a rv copy of that too)

The only negative is that now everyone in my family (eg my 9 year old son who was not really interested so far in reading from my 650 despite him being a heavy reader of print books and me having the odd upcoming pdf rv copy of children books he wants or the odd Gutenberg children books like Verne or Malot) wants it too...

Take a look at it in-store and you will see if it wows you, but personally i think that NC truly enriches book reading (it's not paper, but who cares - books were printed on regular paper in b&w for cost first foremost)

geertm
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Charging/USB connection - so far, so good; heavy use gave me good hours (4-5 and i had 50% left -you can check precise battery charge with the in_nook menu under device, as well as see it on an outside bar roughly) and I charge it daily, but I miss USB charging and the prop. adapter is ultra-annoying; hopefully it won't break; the switch of the cable from USB slot to charger slot is also annoying, i would have preferred two cables

With the screen off the Nook Color will charge from the USB port, but slowly compared to the Nook Color adapter.

You can use any USB cable for data transfer and USB charging, so you can use a seperate USB cable to connect to your PC. You only need the Nook Color USB cable to power charge using the Nook Color adapter (because this cable has 2 extra pins to get more power to the Nook).

Liviu_5
11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
With the screen off the Nook Color will charge from the USB port, but slowly compared to the Nook Color adapter.

You can use any USB cable for data transfer and USB charging, so you can use a seperate USB cable to connect to your PC. You only need the Nook Color USB cable to power charge using the Nook Color adapter (because this cable has 2 extra pins to get more power to the Nook).

Great to know; thanks!
will use my own regular cable then for books and keep the Nook one in the charger for when i need that

emt
11-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Totally agree on the quality and speed of this amazing device. I too use a spare USB cable for book transfer/PC connect.
A few annoyances with the browser (like having to scroll to top to go back a page) but this should be fixed once root is achieved and we can side load Opera.

Does anybody know what resolution book covers need to be. I had Calibre download a few - some look OK and some are pixelated?

leday
11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
"Misc: library sees all your books if you put them in the appropriate place and while I had an issue once when I disconnected the NC and it said something about being corrupted (calibre was still putting a book on it and I forgot), restarting fixed it"

Question...what is the "appropriate place" to put your content so that the library will "see" them, and how do you set Calibre to download to this spot? I am thinking of getting one of these too. I love the Collections in the Sony 700, which is what I have. Can I put my personal content into collections (personal shelves) on the Nook too or will it only recognize content downloaded from B&N stores in the library?

SCION
11-23-2010, 09:43 PM
"Misc: library sees all your books if you put them in the appropriate place and while I had an issue once when I disconnected the NC and it said something about being corrupted (calibre was still putting a book on it and I forgot), restarting fixed it"

Question...what is the "appropriate place" to put your content so that the library will "see" them, and how do you set Calibre to download to this spot? I am thinking of getting one of these too. I love the Collections in the Sony 700, which is what I have. Can I put my personal content into collections (personal shelves) on the Nook too or will it only recognize content downloaded from B&N stores in the library?

You can place sideloaded content on shelves. NOOKcolor doesn't recognize the tags in calibre the way the Sony does. You have to manually place any content on shelves (sideloaded or otherwise) on the device itself. This is disappointing. I, too, am fond of the way Sony Readers handle organization.

leday
11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Here's hoping Kovid can tackle this problem in a future release of Calibre and make tags organize into NookColor shelves.....wishful thinking??

Liviu_5
11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Here's hoping Kovid can tackle this problem in a future release of Calibre and make tags organize into NookColor shelves.....wishful thinking??

that's an interesting issue - i never used shelves on the PRS (collections or however they are called) and i doubt i will use them here since I found them a waste of time

as for Nook Color, Calibre automatically sends books to files/../books and the library sees them; i also copy paste there especially pdf's which i do not include in calibre unless i want to try and convert them

leday
11-23-2010, 11:31 PM
It's good to know Calibre is compatible with this device (I LOVE Calibre!). Most of the books I have are parts of series, so I used the collections feature in my PRS700 to separate them into their series so I can organize/find them easily. I would probably use the shelves feature in the Nook, but it would be nice if Calibre can do this automatically when downloading the book to the device (like it does with the Sony) instead of having to do this manually AFTER the book is downloaded.

Liviu_5
11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
It's good to know Calibre is compatible with this device (I LOVE Calibre!). Most of the books I have are parts of series, so I used the collections feature in my PRS700 to separate them into their series so I can organize/find them easily. I would probably use the shelves feature in the Nook, but it would be nice if Calibre can do this automatically when downloading the book to the device (like it does with the Sony) instead of having to do this manually AFTER the book is downloaded.

I see what you are saying; I have lots of series and such (eg same author books) too, and with the PRS 650 it was sometimes tricky to find them - author/sort, go to letter was fastest, but here you just type two letters of the author name or title, three letters... real time the titles appear until you narrow down to what you want; to me this is one of the best features and once you do it without thinking, you will see that it finds you anything much faster than several touches (eg go into shelves, pick the right one, scroll down if you have more than the books showed on one screen...)

And you can do it for the whole Nook and it is as fast and actually you can do it combined with the Internet and Wikipedia (if you have wi-fi of course) since once you start typing in letters in the global search, it offers you the options:

results Nook for *****
search Web for *****
search Wikipedia for ******

Very useful if you read something and want to bone up fast about some event or personality

madsquabbles
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Great to know; thanks!
will use my own regular cable then for books and keep the Nook one in the charger for when i need that

i don't think anyone's done a full breakdown of the cable yet, but my suspicion is that the extra pins in the cable are only to read the charge level so that it displays the correct led color so you know when your nook is fully charged.

any cable can be used but without checking in on your device you'll have no idea if it's completely charged. now to get a fast charge you'll need a 9.8watt or 10watt adapters (which will be easier to find since ipads use 10watt).

i've been using a standard micro usb cable and a panasonic 10watt adapter with no problems.

simplyparticular
11-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Kovid already answered in the Calibre forum that the shelves cannot be edited via USB connection, so it looks like it is a no-go unless B&N changes the shelves structure.

So maybe some intrepid user will figure out how to edit the Shelves file, like the genius who figured out how to edit the Collections .json on the Kindle.

Liviu_5
11-24-2010, 12:08 PM
i don't think anyone's done a full breakdown of the cable yet, but my suspicion is that the extra pins in the cable are only to read the charge level so that it displays the correct led color so you know when your nook is fully charged.

any cable can be used but without checking in on your device you'll have no idea if it's completely charged. now to get a fast charge you'll need a 9.8watt or 10watt adapters (which will be easier to find since ipads use 10watt).

i've been using a standard micro usb cable and a panasonic 10watt adapter with no problems.

great to know; will keep this for future reference since I truly hate proprietary stuff like that (adapters, cables..) since sometimes they are so hard to find

boswd
11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
great to know; will keep this for future reference since I truly hate proprietary stuff like that (adapters, cables..) since sometimes they are so hard to find

I don't think it's proprietary per say, I just think it's not a widely used charger.

The verbage of the nook charger is almost identicle to the verbage of the manual for my Droid X charger. ( chargers specially designed for this model of Droid X for faster, stronger charge, you should not charger your Droid X on another charger, you MAY damage the battery yadda yadda yadda)

This weekend I will compare specs on the two chargers and see if they are the same.

but I've charged my Droid X on my nook classic charger on many occasions, nothing bad has happened yet.

but in the mean time I will still just use my nook color charger.

bossfan2000
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey Liviu..glad to see you love your color nook! I just posted a longish review on my blog, and I'm going to update it to add a link to your review here.

Liviu_5
11-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey Liviu..glad to see you love your color nook! I just posted a longish review on my blog, and I'm going to update it to add a link to your review here.

Thanks for linking this there; i put a (long) comment too and as mentioned I am thinking of editing this to post on FBC since this is the first ebook reader I would recommend unreservedly to everyone (loved my 700 and were I to have it, I may or may not have bought this on sight, but that had a bunch of drawbacks, though for me touch/fast/internal light/one hand handling are paramount and the 700 was the only eink with that; the 650 lacks internal light so it is much less useful,as mentioned had to bring back the trusty Nokia 770 and that has beautiful reading too with a great screen but smallish once you compare it with a 6/7" and of course no pdf capabilities worth their name)

Mirtika
11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I had reserved one and got sick, so didn't go the first day. Went Saturday to check it out. Beautiful color. Beautiful display. Even went to a manga online site to see if I could read my beloved mangas on it: Yes. The images were large enough to read the dialogue bubbles and see the art clearly (unlike the Kindle 3 I normally use, where manga is nigh impossible to read).

I didn't like that there's no 3g. I didn't like how to turn the pages (would prove tiring to constantly flick the screen,a s opposed to a nice little press set-up like the Kindle which is minimal action to change page, go back).

The wifi was spotty. That was likely cause of the limited ability my local B&N has to handle users (so said the sales assistant). They can accomodate only about a dozen persons using their wifi at a time. I have no idea what that means or why or whatever.

It was a lovely little device. Just totally love how the children's book art looks on it--crisp and bright. The web browsing was faster and, of course, prettier than Kindle. The contrast (white background, not grey) is more like a book and I like that.

Battery life. Eh.

The cases they had available to protect it: crap. Why is it so hard for them to find a nice case that actually looks and feels protective?

I decided to reject it and take time to consider it, since I expect the 2nd gen iPad and the Playbook to come out 1st quarter 2011, and I wanna see how those make books look. Hubby wants an iPad anyhow, so if I can read magazines and books fine on that, I may just skip the Nook Color. But it sure is a purdy and desirable gadget. I was mighty tempted.

My Kindle3 looks positively muddy and old by comparison.

But I like the keyboard not requiring a screen change and it seemed easier to try and get books on my Kindle than on the Nook.

B&N needs to tweak that baby and make it more user friendly, but it's lovely.

Will be interesting to see what the similarly sized Playbook by Blackberry will be able to do/how it will compare.

Amazon needs to come out with a beautiful and bigger (not DX big, but 7 in+ big) display in color and keep it's handier aspects, and I'd get THAT. I don't need an iPad size one, but seeing the size of the Nook Color made me realize how much easier that is on the eyes and how for those of us who like art books, illustrated books, graphic novels, comics, magazines, and manga--well, no brainer. Nook Color wins there.

tubemonkey
11-24-2010, 06:18 PM
iPad, Galaxy Tab, PlayBook = $500+

Nook Color = $250

Mirtika
11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
iPad, Galaxy Tab, PlayBook = $500+

Nook Color = $250

Absolutely. But money ain't the only consideration. The Playbook is supposed to be UNDER 400, not 500+, but I suppose I could have heard bad rumors. Same size as Nook, as I understand it. CAn't remember if it also was WiFi only. If it can browse faster, better, and has nice readability, I may go that way and read my "already-paid-for-Kindle-downloads"-- and yes this is a consideration for me as I've bought many Amazon Kindle books that won't read on the Nook--on the Playbook. (or iPad, I suppose.)

Hubby has his heart set on 2nd gen iPad. (We loved testing the first gen, but with Apple, we don't buy first gen. We wait. Impatiently. :) But we wait.)

If I hit the Lotto, I'll just get them all. No sweat. :D

emt
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Where can you find such a lovely and responsive screen - I've had several Archos tablets - meh, garbage and no support.

I think the Nook is the steal of the year - it's close to being rooted (go over to XDA-Developers) and once that happens we'll be able to side load our favorite Android goodies.

Also agree on the junk cases (and if you haven't noticed BN doesn't carry one case which allows the [poorly designed] rear speaker to sound through) - what rocket scientist thought of that one?

LoganK
11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I didn't like how to turn the pages (would prove tiring to constantly flick the screen,a s opposed to a nice little press set-up like the Kindle which is minimal action to change page, go back).

You can also tap the screen to change the page. Works well if you hold it in your right hand. Contrary to another post on this board, a small swipe will also work to change the page if you are holding it left-handed.

B&N needs to tweak that baby and make it more user friendly, but it's lovely.

I thought it was really well thought out, and there were a lot of nice touches I didn't expect: the recent items drop-down on the home as well as two locations on the screen to jump to the current, easy access to orientation and brightness settings from anywhere, word selection and look-up. It was actually these nice touches that pushed into sticking with a dedicated reader since I know I won't see anything like that on an Android/iPad device for years.

I should admit, though, that I tend to be a power user so my perception of user friendly may not match the general public.

jasonkchapman
11-25-2010, 12:47 PM
You can also tap the screen to change the page. Works well if you hold it in your right hand. Contrary to another post on this board, a small swipe will also work to change the page if you are holding it left-handed.

Agreed. I read one-handed on the subway with it. For me, a quick thumb-swipe works quite well whether I'm holding it right- or left-handed. I checked that before buying it, because one-handed operation is essential for a crowded subway.

Liviu_5
11-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Agreed. I read one-handed on the subway with it. For me, a quick thumb-swipe works quite well whether I'm holding it right- or left-handed. I checked that before buying it, because one-handed operation is essential for a crowded subway.

works for epubs, but not for pdfs ;

pdfs need vertical swipes though once in a while some kind of touch changed the page, though i am still not clear if it's a tap or a small swipe; but i try moving pages on pdfs with taps and it just does not work consistently

the rendering engine and in-book options are different between epubs and pdfs and while i surely prefer epubs, there are many books on which i do not have that as a good option (try converting a 46MB pdf review copy and while the epub is ok'ish and readable, the pdf is perfect so if I can read it which NC surely does well, that's how it is; not to speak of scans and technical work, bilingual tables and other stuff epubs are not that good at - or at least my tools of generating them in the least amount of time are not, while MSOffice publish to pdf takes seconds and you get what you see, so can easily fiddle beforehand),

pattmatt
11-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I've owned a Sony PSR-900 Daily Edition ereader for about a year now and recently upgraded to a Nook Color after seeing it at a B&N store recently. My main reasons for purchasing the Nook Color were (not in any special order): a desire to read at night (this was always hard to do with the Sony ereader even with a clip-on light), color so that I could see comics better (I have a bunch of old Spiderman comics on CD-ROM/PDF), video support, and web browsing.

In general, epub reading is very nice, especially with the ability to change the font to a "nightime" color scheme of white on black, bookmark, etc. I would say that it is superior to the Sony. I tried reading in bright sunlight and after I increased the brightness, I was able to read OK enough for me (I did buy the anti-glare protective screen cover, though). The Daily Edition always had a little bit of glare in bright light because it had a touch sensitive screen on it, so maybe the glare difference is bigger in other e-ink readers, but compared to the Daily Edition, it's comparable after you increase the brightness.

The part where I am disappointed is in the pdf support. Not the general viewing of them, the resizing and auto-rotate are fantastic, but the lack of features, particularly pdf-reflow or the simple ability to bookmark where you are at. This was a real turn-off for me. If you stay reading the same PDF without going to another book, it will remember what page number you were at and return you there. However, if you change to read another book (epub or pdf) and come back to your first pdf book, it will return you to the beginning of the pdf file. This wouldn't be so bad if you could save a bookmark in the book, but you cannot. This caused me to convert many pdf files to epub format just so that I could place bookmarks, etc. (thank you Calibre!). I hope that they add this simple yet vital feature in future updates to the Nook Color. One more comment - the pdf reader doesn't support the nightime-mode white-on-black fonts, either. In general, the Sony Daily Edition handles moving between pdf books much better than the Nook Color because it does remember where you left off AND allows you to make bookmarks. However, the display of the pdfs looks much better in the Nook Color.

I am likewise disappointed in the organizing abilities of the Nook Color. I liked the Sony idea of collections and relied upon them heavily. I had set up Calibre to create my tags as collections in the Sony. I don't have any of this in the Nook Color. The closest thing that I get is organizing books by author or title. I like the idea of "shelves" but if the Nook Color doesn't allow shelves to be created/modified by programs such as Calibre, then it creates a lot of manual work for me as a user. I guess I'll have to get used to using the search function a lot. Hopefully they will open up their shelves in future updates so that Calibre can work with them. The Sony also had a view that let you see all your bookmarks so that you could jump around to different books that you were reading, but the Nook Color doesn't have such a view (I couldn't find one, at least). You can look at recently read books, but if you had bookmarked a book that you opened a long time ago, it is not easy to find it unless you know the book title so that you can do a search for it.

As for comics, the color and sharp resolution make comics look great. Thank you B&N! I haven't fooled around with video too much yet, but I've found some good hints on how to move video there (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107571) so I look forward to trying that out soon.

In general, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase, just annoyed at how they treated PDF support. I'm now converting many of my books to epub via Calibre to get the bookmark support that I like, but I wish I didn't have to do that. I look forward to future updates in the software/firmware, and especially look forward to when B&N opens up App development more (next year, I hear).

SCION
11-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I am likewise disappointed in the organizing abilities of the Nook Color. I liked the Sony idea of collections and relied upon them heavily. I had set up Calibre to create my tags as collections in the Sony. I don't have any of this in the Nook Color...

:ditto: :(

Liviu_5
11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
In general, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase, just annoyed at how they treated PDF support. I'm now converting many of my books to epub via Calibre to get the bookmark support that I like, but I wish I didn't have to do that. I look forward to future updates in the software/firmware, and especially look forward to when B&N opens up App development more (next year, I hear).

I agree that the lack of page remember/bookmark in pdf's is the biggest failing of the NC but i hope they will fix it soon and in the meantime go-to-page works as a substitute especially if you tend to remember the rough place you were.

I still do not get that much the collection thing though; the way I see it, collections are useful to minimize click through until you get a book and maybe simplify look-up books if you forgot you have them on your device

But the collection ultimately won't reduce that much either for large libraries since you either have many collections or collections have many books, so in other words a large library gets divided into smaller but more libraries and the smaller the more, while the fewer libraries (collections) the more books in one..

Here on NC real time search from library or even home screen (global Nook) is really fast

becsta
11-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I havent received my nook yet, does it show books that have been read? I alternate between reading books in different series and sometimes forget which ones in the series I have already read. Can you make the nook mark (for want of a better word) books that have already been read?

SCION
11-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I havent received my nook yet, does it show books that have been read? I alternate between reading books in different series and sometimes forget which ones in the series I have already read. Can you make the nook mark (for want of a better word) books that have already been read?

You can make a shelf for books read then place the finished book on that shelf.

becsta
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
You can make a shelf for books read then place the finished book on that shelf.

Cool. I am so looking forward to getting this but probably wont have it till the end of the week or early next week.

pattmatt
11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I've been using the Nook Color more over the past few days and found a few other annoyances such as epubs don't rotate to landscape mode. When checking if others had this problem, I discovered this thread which documents many of the minor shortcomings of the Nook Color: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Bugs-and-Enhancement-Requests/td-p/727723. It may be useful for those considering buying one. Despite these shortcomings, it is one heck of a device and I am glad that I purchased it (but wouldn't mind some updates to the software/firmware soon :).

boswd
11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I've been using the Nook Color more over the past few days and found a few other annoyances such as epubs don't rotate to landscape mode. When checking if others had this problem, I discovered this thread which documents many of the minor shortcomings of the Nook Color: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Bugs-and-Enhancement-Requests/td-p/727723. It may be useful for those considering buying one. Despite these shortcomings, it is one heck of a device and I am glad that I purchased it (but wouldn't mind some updates to the software/firmware soon :).

books changing to landscape mode is not an issue. It's by design, both BN bought books as well as ePub books can not be put into landscape mode.

odd ommision seeing how you can do everything else on the Nook color in landscape and it's app has landscape mode as well, but it's not a bug, so hopefully it'll be there in the first round of updates

pattmatt
11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
books changing to landscape mode is not an issue. It's by design, both BN bought books as well as ePub books can not be put into landscape mode.

odd ommision seeing how you can do everything else on the Nook color in landscape and it's app has landscape mode as well, but it's not a bug, so hopefully it'll be there in the first round of updates

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about ePub, I had a lot of pdf files in my Sony 900 and only converted them to ePub because of the lack of bookmarks, etc., in the Nook Color. I, too, hope that they add a landscape orientation to ePub books since it can make them easier to read if the lines are breaking awkwardly while in portrait mode. Either that or give me bookmarking (or just remembering where I last left off) in their pdf reader since it handles auto-rotating to landscape mode.

Gdzhlpr
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Just purchased my NOOK yesterday. Great Hardware! I'm still learning and will have plenty of questions. I will read this thread in my spare time. However I wanted to share a quick tip on how to get 10% off at B&N.
Purchase the holiday cards $300 worth. You'll receive $30.00 in gift cards you can use to purchase books after christmas. I did not buy a cover and have excess funds now. The NOOK fits in my planner. Anyone have Pro/Cons to get a cover? Also I am curious about the insurance $50 is a lot but for accident pron people like me. well I may just go back and purchase.

Grayce
12-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I would suggest looking into a Squaretrade warranty if you are looking for a warranty. I got a 3 year warranty with accidental damage for just $30. It's normally $50 for the warranty (even at full price it's a year longer than the B&N warranty) but I had a 40% off code to use this past weekend. Codes for 20-30% off are usually easy to find and you have 90 days from purchase to buy it through Squaretrade. Accidental damage coverage doesn't start for 30 days after you purchase if you don't get the warranty the same day you get the device (I think that's what I read).

I have a cover for my e-ink nook and will be getting one for the color too. With a toddler in the house it's just a good idea to have a little protection on electronic devices. As it stands now I pick it up and take it with me or put it away any time that I move away from it.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new nook!

Gdzhlpr
12-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Grayce,

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to update right now doesnt want to do the auto.

Gdzhlpr
12-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I also use the Storm II blackberry which also uses the micro charger. I noticed the NOOK does not fit the phone but I have yet to try the phone charger in the NOOK. I will try to transfer files using it I'm bummed you cant charge via the pc. Just one more hardware cord I have to lug around with me.

geertm
12-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I also use the Storm II blackberry which also uses the micro charger. I noticed the NOOK does not fit the phone but I have yet to try the phone charger in the NOOK. I will try to transfer files using it I'm bummed you cant charge via the pc. Just one more hardware cord I have to lug around with me.

You can charge using the PC (with the Nook Color screen off), but this will be slower than using the Nook Color charger.

Gdzhlpr
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
You can charge using the PC (with the Nook Color screen off), but this will be slower than using the Nook Color charger.

Awesome, then I only need to take my storm II cord and I can use for both devices.

follow-up question?

Will it charge with the screen off and Pandora on?