View Full Version : remove page numbers?

JeanC
11-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Working with ebook-convert.exe, can I remove the page numbers with some option?
I am new to epub. I noticed the page numbers differ from book to book, sometimes they are on the side, sometime in the upper right corner. Sometimes they even flow through the actual text which is not so nice.

Manichean
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
You can remove stuff like pagenumbers and page headers/footers using the header/footer removal. The relevant parameters for ebook-convert are called --header-regex and --footer-regex, as the name suggest, they take regular expressions that describe the strings to be removed.

JeanC
11-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks.
The page numbers seems to be something my ereader does, they are not visible in the calibre reader.

Manichean
11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Ah, well, in that case, see whatever settings your reader offers. If it's not part of the ebook, there's nothing ebook-convert or any other program is going to be able to do.

wallcraft
11-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Adobe Digital Editions is adding the page numbers, via a complicated algorithm based on compressed file sizes. It is possible to over-ride these numbers, but that seems to freak out ADE and is therefore more trouble than it is worth.

What some people do is increase the right margin so that the number never overlays text.

ldolse
11-23-2010, 11:10 PM
The latest versions of ADE have resolved this, at least on the new Sony devices (Sony declined to backport it to the older devices). Maybe there is a bebook firmware upgrade that can fix it.

JeanC
11-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Well I'm going to return the bebook and get me a pockebook 602. The bebook might be a good machine but it's a bit limited, for instance only 3 zoomlevels for anything other than epub/pdf and only one of them is usable for me. So I am forced to use epub/pdf if I want my preferred zoom factor.

gertblij
11-25-2010, 05:13 AM
Working with ebook-convert.exe, can I remove the page numbers with some option?

Aparently this can be done with regular expressions, but that is not for the faint hearted.
For us lesser mortals who appreciate a good sledge hammer, there is a lovely little free utility called Briss. (Google it).
I allows you to set "margins" at the top and bottom of the pages of the original pdf and when you hit the button it creates a new pdf with these "margins" cut off. Works great and is simple to use.