View Full Version : Nook Color Cnet and PC Mag review

boswd
11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
both give it a solid review,

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371554,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/barnes-noble-nook-color/4505-3508_7-34204884.html?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

cybrdmn
11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Here's another review:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9196785/Barnes_Noble_NookColor?taxonomyId=15&pageNumber=1

mindgnat
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
First, don't believe everything the web reviewers write. Often, they don't own the device nor do they bother to check whether the marketing assertions are true. For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.

Then there's customer service - another neglected reviewer topic. The Nook customer service is terrible. You can't get through on the phone and they simply cut/paste replies from the FAQ without reading your email so it's useless.

Wireless - try this: Go into a bn store and find the Nook display. Ask the salesperson to let you try the device. Open up a web browser and navigate to a video site. Play one. I've tried this and what I find is that the Nook wireless is simply not fast enough to stream a video. It will play them but they are only usable if they loaded onto the device.

My advice: Sort the reviews so that you can read the worst ones first. That usually gives you a pretty good perspective so you can sort out the bs in the good reviews.

mindgnat
02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-color.html

dschoemaker
02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
First, don't believe everything the web reviewers write. .. For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.

You sure you have a Nook? I've certainly never counted, but there are easily "thousands" of ebooks available for the Nook.

I usually don't quote/reply, but this struck me as a little off the mark.

jlmwrite
02-14-2011, 07:31 PM
For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.

Then you aren't paying attention. If you took a look at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp, you would see the banner

Welcome to the NOOKbook Store
The World’s Largest eBook Store with over 2 Million eBooks!

cutterjohn42
02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Then you aren't paying attention. If you took a look at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp, you would see the banner

Welcome to the NOOKbook Store
The World’s Largest eBook Store with over 2 Million eBooks!heh, I was going to point that out... seriously any ereader that can handle epub, mobi, etc. has at least thousands of books potentially available for it...

threadromancer == epic phail

daved23
02-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Wireless - try this: Go into a bn store and find the Nook display. Ask the salesperson to let you try the device. Open up a web browser and navigate to a video site. Play one. I've tried this and what I find is that the Nook wireless is simply not fast enough to stream a video. It will play them but they are only usable if they loaded onto the device.

This has more to do with the wireless connection at the store than the Nook's ability to play video. I'm able to play videos just fine at home using my wireless connection.

boswd
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
This has more to do with the wireless connection at the store than the Nook's ability to play video. I'm able to play videos just fine at home using my wireless connection.

and also the fact that the nook color with android 2.1 does not support Flash Video.

kblair210
02-18-2011, 02:37 AM
For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.

1. B&N Store
2. Libraries
3. Gutenberg
4. Calibre

dir *.epub /s
Total Files Listed: 8378 File(s)

I'm pretty sure that counts as thousands and that's one individual.

Then there's customer service - another neglected reviewer topic. The Nook customer service is terrible. You can't get through on the phone and they simply cut/paste replies from the FAQ without reading your email so it's useless.

When you can walk into an Amazon store and ask an associate about your eReader, get back to us.

A basic understanding of wireless networking would help you here.

The NookColor deserves its high ratings. In a NookColor forum you're not likely to get many people disagreeing with good reviews for their reader.

VicLavigne
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
I just picked up the Nook Color yesterday. I have to agree that the video streaming is not good. When I went to the web browser, it already had YouTube bookmarked as a favorite. Tried 3 different videos and they all failed to play. Odd that they would go to the trouble to bookmark YouTube if the NC can't handle them. And this is at home on my wireless router, not the B&N store.

Other than that, I really like the NC. Didn't buy it for videos anyway, just wanted to check out there other capabilities. And yeah, tons of ebooks are certainly available, especially if you dont limit your count to what is available on B&N. And it would be nice if the MobileRead ebooks area beefed up its epub offerings..... I've gotten quite a few ebooks formatted for the Sony there, but a lot of those titles are still not available in epub versions. At least I've got Calibre for doing my own conversions.

robert23
02-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I have been satisfied with YouTube streaming with my wireless router and a 4 Mbps internet connection (NC is rooted with the YouTube app installed).

iandix
02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Youtube plays very well on my Nookcolor, but then again I understand that it DOES NOT PLAY flash..

DaveW
02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I have an "N" type router and a 20mbs cable internet connection. No problems with video including YouTube so I believe vid problems are wifi problems, not the capiblility of the Nook Color. Now if we just get Flash.

Grimm
02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
My home internet connection is stupid fast, the NC has no problem streaming video at all for me.

mindgnat
03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Sorry, I meant "free ebooks". One of the web pages they were floating around said "1000's of free ebooks". Once I wrote Support, it seems to have disappeared. So, that criticism was accurate or they would still be using it as a selling point.

WiFi - It doesn't matter where you are - it's not network speed that's the problem. It happens on any network you're on - it's just slow. I have yet to find a network that will stream youtube fast enough to be usable. I have tried all of the coffee shops around here, 2 or 3 restaurants, and b&n itself. Same problem - way too slow. IF you have the video downloaded, then yes it will play correctly - but that's not the point. In fact, I can connect it to my home network, pull up the same video on my PC via wireless, and it will play while the Nook will not.

But, like I said, don't take my word for it. Try it yourself.

To those who wrote rude replies: This forum is for an exchange of information, not to exercise your ego demons. Give people the benefit of the doubt, try out what they are saying, and if your experience is different just say so.

boswd
03-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Sorry, I meant "free ebooks". One of the web pages they were floating around said "1000's of free ebooks". Once I wrote Support, it seems to have disappeared. So, that criticism was accurate or they would still be using it as a selling point.

WiFi - It doesn't matter where you are - it's not network speed that's the problem. It happens on any network you're on - it's just slow. I have yet to find a network that will stream youtube fast enough to be usable. I have tried all of the coffee shops around here, 2 or 3 restaurants, and b&n itself. Same problem - way too slow. IF you have the video downloaded, then yes it will play correctly - but that's not the point. In fact, I can connect it to my home network, pull up the same video on my PC via wireless, and it will play while the Nook will not.

But, like I said, don't take my word for it. Try it yourself.

To those who wrote rude replies: This forum is for an exchange of information, not to exercise your ego demons. Give people the bene

fit of the doubt, try out what they are saying, and if your experience is different just say so.

:smack:

nothing drives me more crazy when lack of information by user comes to play and then comes on to bash something when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Nook color is currently running Android 2.1 (eclair) and that does not support Flash, which is why you are seeing slow choppy basically un usable video on the net especially youtube.

They did say that the nook color will in the futer have it's software version updated to android 2.2 (froyo) which WILL support Flash.

a little research ahead of time sometimes can go a long way and will help avoid any frustrations or questions you may have.

rocksr
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
mindgnat,
the criticism is not accurate, even if you add the word "free." If you do a search in the bookstore for 0.00 it will pull up 1830851 books selling for 0.00 (free). Now, I'll admit that number may be incorrect, but I did scroll through the first 3,000, so even if there aren't more than a million, there are certainly "thousands" of free ebooks in their store. I myself have downloaded many of them.

And while I'll readily admit that I don't remember the ads perfectly, I do seem to recall ads and wording on the B&N site that said there were thousands of free ebooks, but I don't remember them referring directly to the B&N store. Even if they did, it would still have been correct.

If you go to Project Gutenberg, they have 33,000 free ebooks available, in a variety of formats. I have gotten many books from there in the epub format (many of them with full illustrations, some with color). These sideload easily to my Nook Color. I just have to add them to a book shelf for easier access, as they can't be added to the main library, which appears to be just for books downloaded from the B&N store. Still, a little extra effort is small price to pay for all those books.

I'm sorry if you thought the tone of some of the posts was rude, but you were pretty strident in your posts, and you were wrong about the number of books both times (free or not). People on the forums usually respond more gently if the OP is somewhat gentle. Just my $0.02.

rocksr
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Oops, forgot to mention one more thing. They are still using the phrase "thousands free" on their web site (not that your logic was extremely sound--the absence of proof is not proof of absence). Here's the exact quote I pulled off their Nook Color page just now:

"A vast selection of books from the latest bestsellers to new releases and classics, thousands free, and most under $9.99 — all right at your fingertips."

And YouTube videos stream well on my Nook Color on my home network (I'm using the Android YouTube app on a rooted Nook). Smooth video and sound. Haven't tried it on any other networks. Seems to work for some others, too, so I don't have any good solutions for you (wish I did--I love my Nook Color and wish everybody could have the same good experience). Hope you find a solution. If you do, I hope you'll share it on the forum. It may help others with the same problem.

VicLavigne
03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I can't get YouTube videos to run on my Nook Color at home.

Funny thing, I just got an Archos 70 Internet tablet (running 2.2). I couldn't get YouTube to play videos on it either, not through the regular browser. Once I installed the YouTube app, videos played flawlessly. But only through the app.

Not sure what the problem or solution is on the Nook but I'm not ready to root it yet.

Vic