Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
css defiition

I have the following CSS definition. It works fine in the HTML viewers but has no effect in Sigil.

Code:
.smcap {
	font-variant: small-caps;
}
What's wrong?

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I have the following CSS definition. It works fine in the HTML viewers but has no effect in Sigil.

Code:
.smcap {
	font-variant: small-caps;
}
What's wrong?

Charlie
I know I have used small-caps in my CSS with good results (after I spelled variant correctly ).

Are you using this with another selector?
Code:
class="regular smcap"
the order may affect results.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I know I have used small-caps in my CSS with good results (after I spelled variant correctly ).

Are you using this with another selector?
Code:
class="regular smcap"
the order may affect results.
I think this is the answer to your question.

Code:
<span class="smcap"> ... </span>
BTW, is there a tool (like Flight Crew) that will check s CSS for errors e.g. missing ";" and such?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think this is the answer to your question.

Code:
<span class="smcap"> ... </span>

BTW, is there a tool (like Flight Crew) that will check CSS for errors e.g. missing ";" and such?
You are using by itself.
I could use one

one typo and the whole selector becomes iffy

Sigil does not render everything as coded. but small-caps did work.

BTW I did find that I needed a "font-size: #em" in the style to make small-caps appear visually acceptable (not to get it to work)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Any chance you have specified a different font-face or that you do not have a small-caps version called out?

I tend to use the defaults, so I might not see this error.
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
You are using by itself.
I could use one

one typo and the whole selector becomes iffy

Sigil does not render everything as coded. but small-caps did work.

BTW I did find that I needed a "font-size: #em" in the style to make small-caps appear visually acceptable (not to get it to work)
I thank you for your help. It's always good to have someone to talk to.

I see the intent of "font-size: #em" , but have not found it in the book. I'll give it a try.

May all of your descendents be not only beautiful but smart.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I thank you for your help. It's always good to have someone to talk to.

I see the intent of "font-size: #em" , but have not found it in the book. I'll give it a try.

May all of your descendents be not only beautiful but smart.
I showed a hash mark (not the one on your Uniform Sleeve ) in place of a decimal number( eg 1.1em) so you would choose your own value.

em is a value that scales to the font, in, pt are fixed, "ruler" sizes and do not scale.
I use 3-4 % (of the containing block) type sizes for my indents. The wider the screen (block), the more pronounced the Indent appears to the eye. % don't scale to the font, but to the display (block).

Some of my best ideas, have been "borrowed" from examples here at MR (I think I even use one I spotted in your work).
Old 11-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
I showed a hash mark (not the one on your Uniform Sleeve ) in place of a decimal number( eg 1.1em) so you would choose your own value.

em is a value that scales to the font, in, pt are fixed, "ruler" sizes and do not scale.
I use 3-4 % (of the containing block) type sizes for my indents. The wider the screen (block), the more pronounced the Indent appears to the eye. % don't scale to the font, but to the display (block).

Some of my best ideas, have been "borrowed" from examples here at MR (I think I even use one I spotted in your work).
Yea, I got that. Works now in Sigil but apparently not in MOBI. I may have to go back to

Code:
<small> ... </small>
Bummer .

If you find anything usable in my stuff, I'm tickelled.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Yea, I got that. Works now in Sigil but apparently not in MOBI. I may have to go back to

Code:
<small> ... </small>
Bummer .

If you find anything usable in my stuff, I'm tickelled.
yeah, mobi seems to ignore <span>
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
@Crutledge, @st_albert: small_caps not supported in mobi. I know, major suckage; I have a workaround somewhere around here....but it was a real "workAROUND" rather than anything simple...but it's like Dropcaps. I make BEAUTIMUS dropcaps in Sigil, and they look like fatty big bold letters in Mobi. {sigh}.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote