View Full Version : Can someone tell me what font this is?

yegon
11-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Apologies for poor pq.

Manichean
11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
That looks to be Times New Roman to me, compare with the examples here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_New_Roman). And this has what exactly to do with calibre?

kacir
11-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Apologies for poor pq.
Why are you posting this to the Calibre thread?

If you told us what reader is on photo (I guess it might be Sony) and whether it is the built-in font we might be able to provide much better answer.

dwig
11-11-2010, 07:15 AM
It looks much more like one of the several Garamond variants. There are various tell-tales, the horizontal line through the middle of the "e" is relatively high, a trait of Garamond while Times places this more centered. Its hard to tell at this resolution, and the font rendering engine in the ereader is likely adding some additional fake boldness.

yegon
11-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Sorry, I should have explained. I was reading a book on my Sony 650 with the above font. I've tried to replicate it with other ebooks via Calibre but can't seem to find the exact font. I initially thought it was Times New Roman too, but the font on the original ebook seems bolder and slightly different to the ones I've tried converting.

Worldwalker
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Go over to What The Font? (you'll need an enlarged sample) and try looking it up. They've found several weird and obscure fonts for me, so a moderately common one should be a piece of cake.

Starson17
11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Go over to What The Font? (you'll need an enlarged sample) and try looking it up. They've found several weird and obscure fonts for me, so a moderately common one should be a piece of cake.
I've found it's harder to identify common fonts than obscure fonts. There are a hundred similar common fonts, while a font made out of dancing whales is easy to find :) OTOH, if you don't care that much about the actual name of the specific font used for your sample, and just want one with a very similar (identical) appearance, that's usually pretty easy, although it may take some time if you need to check all the letters. (For obscure fonts, it usually suffices to check only one or two 'interesting' letters.)