View Full Version : Nook Color is Here!

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Nook Color is here. Priced at $249 and to ship 19 Nov 2010.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/

pilotbob
10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
It's interesting they went from an eInk device to an LCD device. But, at $250 it might be something I would consider... since it really will be an Android tablet rather than just a reader. I am sure I would read most fiction still on my Kindle... However, the MacBook Air 11' looks like a nice couch surfing device... basically an iPad (that supports flash) with a keyboard.

BOb

ifonline
10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I''m disappointed with the inclusion of an IPS screen and the resulting 8 hour battery life. Interesting design, though.

cypresstwist
10-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I''m disappointed with the inclusion of an IPS screen and the resulting 8 hour battery life. Interesting design, though.

Same exact thoughts here. 8 hour battery life for an eReader? No thank you, I'll stick with my current Nook and it's eInk screen.

boswd
10-26-2010, 05:10 PM
It's interesting they went from an eInk device to an LCD device. But, at $250 it might be something I would consider... since it really will be an Android tablet rather than just a reader. I am sure I would read most fiction still on my Kindle... However, the MacBook Air 11' looks like a nice couch surfing device... basically an iPad (that supports flash) with a keyboard.

BOb

You do have to remember this isn't replacing the Nook eink, they are still going forward with it, in fact we have a juicy update coming up. This is just an addition to the product line.

specs so far are very very impressive.

boswd
10-26-2010, 05:11 PM

I can see battery life but why the disappointment with an IPS panal. That's pretty much the high end of panals.

desertgrandma
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Hmmm......nice.

I don't need/want the color, but I'm thinking those people still on the fence will jump on this....

I would imagine it would be great for magazines and manga?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

pilotbob
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
You do have to remember this isn't replacing the Nook eink, they are still going forward with it, in fact we have a juicy update coming up. This is just an addition to the product line.

I wonder if this is an interim until the Marisol or PixelQi or eInk Color screens are perfected and less expensive and the eInk versions are just going to be sold while supplies last.

BOb

Pomtroll
10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't need one & am not likely to go & get one any time soon. But I can see how some people would like it. I don't do well with LCD screens but a lot of people are used to them & have no trouble reading on them. Maybe the smaller screen will make the LCD easier on the eyes? I'd like to try one & see. But as of now I'm very happy with my NOOK Classic :rolleyes:

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
This may be my netbook replacement. Waiting to see processor specs and its web browsing capabilities.

ifonline
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I can see battery life but why the disappointment with an IPS panal. That's pretty much the high end of panals.

I'm very familiar with IPS panels. I have several monitors, the iPad, and the iPhone, all of which have IPS panels. My disappointment was the battery life as a result of the IPS panel, not the IPS panel itself.

My interest was with a color Nook that used a color eInk display. Maybe Amazon will make one instead.

soondai
10-26-2010, 05:19 PM
did they give any specs on the processor and memory?

will they have 'em in stores to check out before they ship? (not ordering unseen)

I hope you can view your own docs (and that they have good PDF support)

My initial reaction is disappointment at the LCD and battery, but I could come around if I get to play with one and if it'll do a decent job with my PDF books in landscape.

humblepie
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
its obvious that they are going after PDF magazines and Magazines in general. to read that its best to have color

JeremyR
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I think it's a smart move; a lot of people don't really even seem to want an e-reader, but something along the lines of a mini iPad. And well, this basically seems to be just that.

Personally though, just looking at the mockups of the screens makes my eyes water.

edit: I mean, look you can even see glare on the left picture...the left side of the screen is visibly lighter than the right side...

Latinandgreek
10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
My husband has mentioned that he would like a 7 inch, backlit reader. I'll have to show him this. I, too am curious as to see how it handles PDFs.

simplyparticular
10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
I didn't think there was any real hope of it NOT being LCD, so my disappointment is the weight. 15.8 oz is even heavier than the original Nooks. I found the original Nook heavy for one-handed use. But it is lighter than the iPad, which has been a challenge for reading for me. Maybe the Nook Color will seem light now :P

And I'm glad to see they got rid of the page turn buttons. And they have so many accessories planned.

I'm curious about why they dedicated so much space to the hook on the bottom. You can attach a wriststrap with a tiny little bar - it seems like overkill.

Ervserver
10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
sweet unit..hear that Santa?

jasonkchapman
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
And I'm glad to see they got rid of the page turn buttons. And they have so many accessories planned.
Actually, page turn buttons are something I wish they'd kept. One handed operation just about requires them, at least on a crowded subway.

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
If implemented properly, this could also be a killer device for textbooks.

aggiegirl92
10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
If this thing is as sweet in person as it seems to be via the internet, then I know what I want for Christmas!

simplyparticular
10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Actually, page turn buttons are something I wish they'd kept. One handed operation just about requires them, at least on a crowded subway.

I agree, but B&N didn't get the design right on the Nook E-Ink without cracking, so I'd rather they avoid them if they can't engineer them right.

sun surfer
10-26-2010, 05:49 PM
It seems cool but it's not for me. I would like colour and honestly I don't think I'd really mind an 8-hour battery life, but I definitely want an e-ink screen so the LCD is a deal-breaker. I can see who it would be for though.

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree, but B&N didn't get the design right on the Nook E-Ink without cracking, so I'd rather they avoid them if they can't engineer them right.

Totally agree!

boswd
10-26-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm very familiar with IPS panels. I have several monitors, the iPad, and the iPhone, all of which have IPS panels. My disappointment was the battery life as a result of the IPS panel, not the IPS panel itself.

My interest was with a color Nook that used a color eInk display. Maybe Amazon will make one instead.

ahhh gotcha

DiamondDave
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Not interested. I'll wait until they make a color e-ink model. Until? If...

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I must say, the device is very sleek looking; though a bit heavy at 16oz. Just one hard button too - it's the "n" located at the bottom.

chas0039
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
did they give any specs on the processor and memory?

It has 8 Gb internal memory and a micro SD card.

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Barnes & Noble unveils Nook Color (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20020747-1.html?tag=rb_content;carouselMain)

Why LCD?

It will be interesting to follow consumers' response to the Nook Color. A lot of readers love e-ink because there's no backlighting and the screen is viewable in direct sunlight. However, when we spoke to Barnes & Noble CEO Bill Lynch, he said the company had done extensive research on displays and discovered that eye-strain with LCDs was not the huge issue many people were making it out to be. He was confident people would be comfortable reading on the Nook Color.

What's with that corner slot?

B&N also will sell a number of accessories for the device, such as covers and charms to attach to the device's corner slot. In case you're wondering about the thinking that went into that slot, Lynch told CNET that the Nook Color's designer, fuseproject, felt strongly that the device should have a signature design element. Fuseproject also designed Aliph's Jawbone headsets.

Rebo
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Since my daughter has claimed possession of my beloved nook, Iíve been waiting for a multi-media android tablet which can be more than just an ereader. My criteria are as follows:

1) Same size as my nook so it can fit in my purse.
2) Screen display and battery life as good as the iPad.
3) Fast web browsing
4) Ability to run flash and play videos
5) Can run word, exel and powerpoint
6) SD or micro SD slot expansion
7) USB interface
8) Price range ~ $250

Iíve been waiting for android tablets for months and the low end stuff are such a disappointment. The Samsung Galaxy sounds good but somehow it is tethered to a data plan. I never thought my Android tablet would come from BN so it is a surprise. So far the spec of the Nook Color is very impressive except the battery life. iPadís battery can last 10 hours with WiFi but the Nook color is only 8 hours with reading only. Iíll be very anxious to test this unit in the store; if it is as good as it sounds, Iíll get one for myself as a Christmas present. :D

supermighty
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't see the product space for this device. It's an android tablet that can't run android apps. How is having a device dedicated to one single app better than having the ebook reading experience on every android tablet.

They should have stuck with what differentiated the ereader from other devices. eInk, integrated directly with the store, superior reading experience.

Fbone
10-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Every other requested feature is PDF support. Maybe B&N hope to satisfy those people.

Currently uses Android 2.1 so no Flash but reports say it will be upgraded to 2.2 and then Flash will be available.

jedema
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
meh. Its just an over sized cell phone. I can read nookbooks on my cell, I can read Kindle books on my cell.

Impressive looking and fun to dream about, but that is really all it is.

graphicsgirl
10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Been looking for a backlit unit. This would make a nice christmas present for my kids.

Catlady
10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I like it. I'll wait for the reviews, but this is very tempting. Wonder how Amazon will react.

Falcao
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Wonder how Amazon will react.

Do Amazon looks bovvered? I don't see Amazon bovvered by a LCD tablet.

eidahl
10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Er... wuh, is this a bad joke? It's not an e-reader anymore without 'e-ink'.

EDIT: Before getting an e-reader, I usually read ebooks on my lcd monitor / computer. Why should I bother reading on ANOTHER lcd screen at home, right? The entire point is that it looks like paper and I can carry it around (not that I ever carry it out of the home, though!).

ZombieEatsYou
10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Am I mistaken but in slide 14 of the Cnet article, is that a crudload of fingerprints on the screen? fail.

jaxx6166
10-26-2010, 07:53 PM
i've lost faith in B/N :(
My eInk nook has been a big dissappointment lately, and now there's an lcd nook that wants to be an ipad without the app store. Sounds like fail to me.
When I first saw this I got all excited for a Qi or Mirsol, werent they supposed to be available by the end of this year

ifonline
10-26-2010, 07:54 PM
...such as covers and charms to attach to the device's corner slot

Well, now isn't that nice? Charms!

ifonline
10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Am I mistaken but in slide 14 of the Cnet article, is that a crudload of fingerprints on the screen? fail.

Yeah, I noticed that. It's pretty awful. But to be fair, someone will come out with an anti-glare screen protector that will do away with this.

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Er... wuh, is this a bad joke? It's not an e-reader anymore without 'e-ink'.

EDIT: Before getting an e-reader, I usually read ebooks on my lcd monitor / computer. Why should I bother reading on ANOTHER lcd screen at home, right? The entire point is that it looks like paper and I can carry it around (not that I ever carry it out of the home, though!).

And that's why people who favor eInk aren't the target market for this device.

This will sell to the masses; not to avid readers.

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. It's pretty awful. But to be fair, someone will come out with an anti-glare screen protector that will do away with this.

NOOKcolor Anti-Glare Screen Film Kit (http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/NOOKcolor-Anti-Glare-Screen-Film-Kit/e/9781616813819/?cds2Pid=35719)

supermighty
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
As an ebook reader it does seem lacking, but I wonder what the hackers will be able to do with it. I'm sure a custom android ROM will appear soon after it's launched. With such a nice screen and low price tag it could be a killer tablet.

twobits
10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
The pandigitals suddenly look more interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/pandigital-takes-a-second-shot-at-digital-reading-with-the-novel/

Anyone seen how the SiPix screens look yet?

WT Sharpe
10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I just scanned the article "Barnes & Noble Reveals The Nook Color, Please Act Surprised" by Matt Burns at CrunchGear (http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/26/barnes-noble-reveals-a-color-nook-please-act-surprised/) and read this:

....."The entire thing weighs in at 15.6 oz with a thickness of .48-inches ó thatís just 5.4 oz heavier and .12-inches thicker than the new Kindle."

Uh, no. The B&N website puts the weight of the Wi-Fi Nook Color at 15.8 ounces. The Kindle Wi-Fi weighs 8.5 ounces. That's a 7.3 ounce difference. It's over 85% heavier, hardly something I would describe with the adjective "just". It's even 7.1 ounces heavier than a Kindle 3G. Even there, the weight is 180% that of the Kindle.

Still, I might end up buying one if the virtual keyboard works well and apps are available for writing, although I would still use my eInk Kindle for reading. The price is very tempting and the color screen could be just the thing for certain books and magazines.

One thing I won't do is to make the mistake of being an early adopter of this new technology. I got Nook-burned once, never again.

Piper_
10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
And that's why people who favor eInk aren't the target market for this device.

This will sell to the masses; not to avid readers.
I think you sum it up well, tubemonkey.

It's not for me, but I can hear some people I know Ooohing and ahhing over it already just for the pizazz at a lower price.

I'm not exactly sure why someone would go this direction, when they could go full android tablet...?

Especially not before it's been out long enough to know it's stable.

I do hope it works out well. I want B&N to succeed. Competition is good to have for all products. :)

aagstn
10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
One thing I won't do is to make the mistake of being an early adopter of this new technology. I got Nook-burned once, never again.
You got burned by the original nook? Well I guess the early firmware was pretty rough, but they fixed all of that awhile back. You couldn't get me to give up my nook for a kindle. The original nook is a fantastic device and I like this color option for people that might want something like the iPad for books, but don't want to deal with the iPad price tag.

I like my eink Nook and will probably stick with it, but this looks like a great option for a color device. I currently use my nook and iPod touch as my reading combo, but I'm definitely going to be tempted to replace the iPod for reading with the nook color.

Paco
10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm really happy that my new nook is now more alive than ever, if they would go with a nook 2 with a pearl screen I would be so mad LOL :D

I'm not going to buy this but the price is really tempting and sure many people would jump on this.

Richey79
10-26-2010, 08:57 PM
The Engaget video ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/nook-color-first-hands-on/ ) shows some concerning issues regarding the responsiveness of the touch screen. Might be down to the screen itself, relatively weak hardware or poorly-optimised firmware.

If they don't sort this issue before release it will kill the fun of using a modern tablet device.

There was something odd going on with the refresh rate of the screen, too, although there's a chance that was down to a poor-quality camera being used to film, resulting in 'rolling shutter.'

HistoryWes
10-26-2010, 08:57 PM
When I saw this, the first thing I thought was " I wonder what they'll say at Mobile Read.". I personally thin B&N blew it. They've gone with what is just another Android tablet, but without the ability to add apps and with terrible battery life. They're no longer competing with Kindle, they're competing with iPad, and this one ain't going to do it. Kindle will continue to dominate the eink market and this will be just one of many failed Android tablets. Eventually someone will come up with competition for the iPad, but the Color Nook is not up to the task.

WT Sharpe
10-26-2010, 09:06 PM
You got burned by the original nook? Well I guess the early firmware was pretty rough, but they fixed all of that awhile back. You couldn't get me to give up my nook for a kindle. The original nook is a fantastic device and I like this color option for people that might want something like the iPad for books, but don't want to deal with the iPad price tag.

I like my eink Nook and will probably stick with it, but this looks like a great option for a color device. I currently use my nook and iPod touch as my reading combo, but I'm definitely going to be tempted to replace the iPod for reading with the nook color.

The original Nook is fine for reading, if that's all you're going to do with it, but I've always been one for underlining and taking notes. The Nook is a poor choice for that. The menus are cumbersome, and there's no way to transfer the notes you've made and the passages you've copied to a PC. Thanks, but I'll stick with my Kindle.

WT Sharpe
10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
The Engaget video ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/nook-color-first-hands-on/ ) shows some concerning issues regarding the responsiveness of the touch screen. Might be down to the screen itself, relatively weak hardware or poorly-optimised firmware.

If they don't sort this issue before release it will kill the fun of using a modern tablet device.

There was something odd going on with the refresh rate of the screen, too, although there's a chance that was down to a poor-quality camera being used to film, resulting in 'rolling shutter.'

Looked pretty good to me.

WT Sharpe
10-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Here's something I found on the B&N website that might interest writers:

"Create, edit and view Microsoftģ Office files including Word, Excel and PowerPoint."

Now I am tempted! I wonder when they'll be in the stores for a hand-on trial?

SameOldStory
10-26-2010, 09:23 PM
This does appeal to me in several ways.

1) I do need color for some of the color schematics that I use.
2) The way that it handles skimming magazines looks very interesting. If it'll do that with magazines from other sources I'd be quite interested. But the only technical magazines I'd be interested in would not be available from B&N.
3) My first reader was back lit. Dim down the screen and the lights. Relax. :)

The GALAXY Tab would do for me, but the price is a killer. Besides, who needs a 7 inch phone?

Other people have other needs and preferences. I need two devices, and if they can both be used to read all the better.

WT Sharpe
10-26-2010, 09:33 PM
...2) The way that it handles skimming magazines looks very interesting. If it'll do that with magazines from other sources I'd be quite interested. But the only technical magazines I'd be interested in would not be available from B&N....

That's my problem with the magazines offered for ereaders. Most of the ones I'm really interested in aren't available for ereaders.

tubemonkey
10-26-2010, 09:33 PM
1) I do need color for some of the color schematics that I use.

This has the makings to be a great tablet for do-it-yourselfers. All your hobbies and projects in one convenient device.

SameOldStory
10-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks, Richey79, for the llink. Very good find.
================================================== ======================

So it's not a finnished product yet. I remember how despirate B&N were to ship out the origional before last Christmas. And personaly I think that it stunk! The great thing is that the've been abble to make it a good reader without leaving the original buyers stuck.

I think that it looks promising.

But I did laugh at the way he TOTALY skirted the request to see the internet in action.

Anarel
10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Hmmm......nice.

I don't need/want the color, but I'm thinking those people still on the fence will jump on this....

I would imagine it would be great for magazines and manga?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

But you don't need color with Manga, the current Nook.... or any other e-reader for that matter, would suit fine for manga.

RockdaMan
10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm a Kindle fan, but I've been looking for a PDF reader, and this seems to fit the bill.

Tiny question: Would BN let Amazon port the Android version of the Kindle app to it?

Rich_D
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm a Kindle fan, but I've been looking for a PDF reader, and this seems to fit the bill.

Tiny question: Would BN let Amazon port the Android version of the Kindle app to it?

I doubt it... All the bookstores count on follow up ebook sales for profit. It's a user friendly idea, just not a profit friendly one!

jswinden
10-26-2010, 09:59 PM
I'll just say I never met an Android tablet I liked. Android on tablets has been hamstrung by the idiots at Google. And not one yet that I've seen had a respectable processor. Unless the buyer is into hacking, this Nook won't be good for much, even reading. A backlit LCD will wash out in daylight and give you a headache in low light. I looked at the current generation of Nooks and thought they were a stupid design with a super sluggish LCD that cannot sync up correctly with the eInk screen.

So do they really think that many B&N shoppers will go for an app-less brick that runs at a snails pace for a brief 8 hours? I'm glad I don't have any B&N stock!

Fbone
10-26-2010, 09:59 PM
But I did laugh at the way he TOTALY skirted the request to see the internet in action.

That was funny. They didn't allow any media hands-on which may mean that the software isn't finished yet. Expect firmware updates.

I do like how the "n" button on the bottom is a home key.

boswd
10-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't see the product space for this device. It's an android tablet that can't run android apps. How is having a device dedicated to one single app better than having the ebook reading experience on every android tablet.

They should have stuck with what differentiated the ereader from other devices. eInk, integrated directly with the store, superior reading experience.

again I think people are misreading this. This is not a replacement to the current eink Nook. This is a product line addition.

If you want eink get the original
If you want an ereader that takes advantage of full color and the technology advantages of what an LCD screen can do you get nook color

It's called choices.

egads people:smack::)

boswd
10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I'll just say I never met an Android tablet I liked. Android on tablets has been hamstrung by the idiots at Google. And not one yet that I've seen had a respectable processor. Unless the buyer is into hacking, this Nook won't be good for much, even reading. A backlit LCD will wash out in daylight and give you a headache in low light. I looked at the current generation of Nooks and thought they were a stupid design with a super sluggish LCD that cannot sync up correctly with the eInk screen.

So do they really think that many B&N shoppers will go for an app-less brick that runs at a snails pace for a brief 8 hours? I'm glad I don't have any B&N stock!

Oh yeah let the Kindlebot trolls come on down.

I'll give Amazon 2 months until they copy the Nook AGAIN and come out with their own color LCD and you'll the first one in the Kool aid kindle subforum singing it's praises

Plueez I think your Kool aid is getting warm.

Kindle runs cool commericials they must be the best:rolleyes:

boswd
10-26-2010, 10:18 PM

so I take it you don't have a touchscreen smartphone.

yeah fingerprints have made the Droids and iphone big Fails:rolleyes::smack:

simplyparticular
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I think this is very attractive to parents if the Nook Kids is robust.

I notice that .pdb/eReader isn't a supported format, unlike Nook original.

This may also appeal to the eBookwise holdouts, since they're already used to backlit LCD.

chichichobits
10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I am beyond pissed off I really wanted e-ink but this sounds like more of a business move on B&N's part. To wait so long to hear about an LCD screen. I think I'm just going to buy a kindle as much as I hate how it looks atleast function wise it seems the best.

boswd
10-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I am beyond pissed off I really wanted e-ink but this sounds like more of a business move on B&N's part. To wait so long to hear about an LCD screen. I think I'm just going to buy a kindle as much as I hate how it looks atleast function wise it seems the best.

if you wanted a nook and want eink just get the original.

ok People listen UP, I am saying this for the last time. THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT!!!!!! It's an addition to it's product line.

The orginal e ink nook is still being sold. In fact a major firmware update is being rolled out in November as well.

So one more time the Nook family will like this

Nook wif/3g eink
Nook wifi only eink
Nook color LCD

you now have 3 choices.

aagstn
10-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Unless the buyer is into hacking, this Nook won't be good for much, even reading. A backlit LCD will wash out in daylight and give you a headache in low light. I looked at the current generation of Nooks and thought they were a stupid design with a super sluggish LCD that cannot sync up correctly with the eInk screen.
So tired of hearing this complete nonsense. I have read on lcd devices for a decade and they do not give you headaches or eyestrain. I can only assume you use them in a completely dark room with the brightness cranked all the way up. Even then I doubt I would get a headache from it.

The current nook is a great reader and every bit the equal of the kindle. My touch screen is hardly super sluggish and it syncs fine with my eink screen. I wouldn't trade the touch screen and easy page turn swipes for that clunky keyboard any day.

desertgrandma
10-26-2010, 11:01 PM
So tired of hearing this complete nonsense. I have read on lcd devices for a decade and they do not give you headaches or eyestrain. I can only assume you use them in a completely dark room with the brightness cranked all the way up. Even then I doubt I would get a headache from it.

Many people suffer from the "headaches" and "eyestrain" from reading on lcd screens.....the fact that you don't is great for you, but you can't really deny that it does indeed exist for others.

kalex
10-26-2010, 11:11 PM
+1
I don't get headaches reading on LCD but find it annoying. I much prefer reading on eink then on LCD

eGeezer
10-26-2010, 11:31 PM
...yeah fingerprints have made the Droids and iphone big Fails:rolleyes::smack:

And I stopped wearing glasses cuz every time I got a fingerprint on a lens, I had to buy a new pair. Clue: fingerprints wipe off.

I'm really waiting to see how the responses go from real owners. The concept is very appealing to me as a bridge between my wife's iPad and my ereader. Would give her a similar device for reading Library books, and would give me a possibly functional versatility without having to get an iPhone next time my contract runs out.

My concern is while I am impressed with the iPhone/iTouch/iPad apps I have seen on my wife's iPad and son's iPhone, I haven't heard really great things about Droid apps.

Plus, it appears the FW upgrades don't always make it from Google thru the device manufacturers to the consumers in a timely fashion. (For instance, I believe 2.2 is the current FW with 2.3 or possibly 3.0 imminent, but I understand the NC is coming out with 2.0.)

I will be waiting to see how much additional functionality the NC will end up with once it is actually out in the world on its own. I don't need an iPad or iPhone, but if its gonna have an LCD screen it needs to be more than an ereader, IMHO.

Edit: Duh. I see it has limited browsing, can check mail -- features the original nook has, but perhaps with a little more versatility. Maybe a nook classic will do the job, after all.

Helio
10-26-2010, 11:48 PM
No 3G?

No Nook color for me.

Donnageddon
10-26-2010, 11:49 PM
And I stopped wearing glasses cuz every time I got a fingerprint on a lens, I had to buy a new pair. Clue: fingerprints wipe off.

Very true. I find if I smear the fingerprint covered screen with a dab of Vaseline and then a coat of peanut butter and pop it into the freezer for 4 hours, chisel off the peanut butter block and scrub vigorously with a towel soaked in warm water... viola! Clear screen.

Or you could just wipe them off.

eGeezer
10-26-2010, 11:53 PM
...and scrub vigorously with a towel soaked in warm water... viola! Clear screen.

Or you could jut wipe them off.

Darn. Mom never told me about the warm water part.

Donnageddon
10-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Darn. Mom never told me about the warm water part.

I learned the hard way through trial and error :)

Nahgem
10-27-2010, 12:01 AM
I'd love to get my hands on it just out of curiosity, but I think I'd be unlikely to buy. LCD gives me a raging headache, so reading on it for hours? Heck no. I've got a laptop for actual computing needs, and while I'm sure comics will look great on the thing, I'll sacrifice color for eInk.

I can see how it would be appealing for other people -- especially if it integrates the Nook Kids thing well. I'd have loved that when I was young enough for picture books.

Kris777
10-27-2010, 12:08 AM
flSGMvemQ4o

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 12:16 AM
flSGMvemQ4o

He's does a better job smoking that pipe than he does passing on correct info. He needs to visit the Color's website, a few tech sites, and then start over. :D

eGeezer
10-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Anyone else notice the nook is now the NOOK?

varelov
10-27-2010, 12:51 AM
If it's back lit AND does a "wonderful" job at PDF's (especially those with lots of tables) then count me out. I'll stick with the classic.
It has to pass at least the PDF swimming test. I have volumes in PDF with many tables. Tried converting some of them to epub and the result is disappointing.

Ken Irving
10-27-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm impressed with what B&N is trying to do with this. They've identified a market segment that needs color and they've produced a product to serve it, along with associated content ready to go, and they've done a decent job of presenting NookColor as an addition to a whole product line rather than a replacement for the eink Nook. I also notice that all of a sudden "ebook" has been rebranded to nookbook, which I think is also smart. It seems to me that a lot of this has been coming from William Lynch because even though Nook Wifi and NookColor were probably in the pipeline before he came on board as CEO, after which came the price drops, better branding, etc. that make B&N look less like an elephant clinging to its paper books while trying to turn around in a 700-store bathtub, and more like a competitor in a tough market. B&N seems to have developed a coherent strategy that involves more than doing a little bit better here and there than Amazon.

Whether all of this will work or not depends on whether the device works as advertised, of course, so we'll see. As a Nook Wifi owner would I buy the NookColor? If I had lots of extra cash I'd have place my order already, but as a long-time observer of tech and someone with a limited budget for same right now, I'll wait for the shakeout period, save my pennies, and maybe a year from now I'll be ready.

Avarwen
10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Nice but I'm waiting to see what Mirasol has in store for us. I want an eink reader that will read all DRM as well as all non-DRM titles. But since the won't be happening soon. I may have to buy a Kindle along side my current ereader.

GreenMonkey
10-27-2010, 03:13 AM
I like it. It's a an Android tablet, with a nice IPS / capacitive sceen, the size is about right, and it's only $250.

I hated the ipad due to its failures for the price - no HDMI out, no usb, no memory card slot, etc.

Here, it's a device that is half the price, a bit smaller. It still lacks HDMI & traditional usb...but at $250 I'll accept a device that does a bit less and is a bit more portable. The Samsung Galaxy tab is too pricey IMO (and still lacks HDMI out).

The biggest problem is that it doesn't support the standard Google marketplace. But - I'm sure it'll get rooted, or market apps will be installable, somehow.

I'm not going to replace my e-reader. E-ink is so much better for reading books. But for PDFs, websurfing, etc this would be very cool. I could see getting one for $200 or so if the app support materializes.

Lastly, the new Nook kids stuff is pretty sweet. There's a couple of kid e-reader gadgets out - Vtech, etc - they are pricey and the book cartridges are pretty expensive. I'd honestly rather go with something like this at some point. My kids are a little young to be trusted with a gadget like this - but a year or so from now, I can see giving my oldest one.

Rebo
10-27-2010, 03:16 AM
I think B&N has been doing a good job in differentiating itself from the competitor. Their nook has been in the market for only 1 year but it has made an impact. A product needs to have unique features to stand out so it is not just me too. The touch of color in the 2nd screen, "lend me" and in store reading experience are very unique features offered by the Nook. B&N was also the first to lower the price and came up with a WiFi model; the other players in the industry follow and react to their trend.

The information from various internet sources revealed that B&N has been working on the Nook Color as well as the Nook Kids for a year and it is their plan all along to tap into this market sector. There are other fish out there than just avid readers. The specification of the display screen of the Nook Color is not your everyday cheap Android tablets such as the Velocity Cruz reader or the Pandigital. It is is on par with the iPad and Samsung Galaxy but at half the price. This is a bold and calculated move from B&N to differentiate the nook from the traditional ereaders and expand their holdings to other sectors of the market. It'll be interesting to see how Amazon will respond especially to the Nook Kids.

Nexutix
10-27-2010, 04:22 AM
LCD hurts my eyes. I would prefer mirasol screens (http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/).

joblack
10-27-2010, 07:42 AM
It's interesting they went from an eInk device to an LCD device.

No way to read e-books on a LCD when I can read it on an e-ink display. And you almost get a more flexible laptop for a little bit more money.

I'm wondering who really considers to buy that LCD device ...

graphicsgirl
10-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Would like B&N to succeed in this. The more competition the better. And NookKids looks pretty slick.

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 07:59 AM
No way to read e-books on a LCD when I can read it on an e-ink display. And you almost get a more flexible laptop for a little bit more money.

I'm wondering who really considers to buy that LCD device ...

A netbook will definitely give you more versatility than any tablet ever could, at an equivalent or much lower price.

This LCD device is for people who want an eReader-sized device to read color content - magazines, newspapers, comics, textbooks, childrens books, etc. While a netbook can easily do this, it's handicapped by its larger size and weight.

Again, the Nook Color is NOT for avid readers who consume mostly novels. It's not meant to replace their eInk readers.

The question is, when do people want to bring color into their reading? Now, via the Nook Color and other tablet PCs? or next year when other alternative technologies start to appear that will combine the advantages of both eInk and LCD into one device?

mgmueller
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
The Samsung Galaxy tab is too pricey IMO (and still lacks HDMI out)

Galaxy Tab DOES HAVE HDMI via docking station.

Over
10-27-2010, 08:31 AM
7"? Too small for magazines and PDFs. And for literature ebooks, i guess the colour is only good for covers.

But I guess that people who don't mind to constantly zoom and pan or are just used to do it on a smartphone, will like this.

rty
10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
7"? Too small for magazines and PDFs. And for literature ebooks, i guess the colour is only good for covers.

But I guess that people who don't mind to constantly zoom and pan or are just used to do it on a smartphone, will like this.

Zoom and pan is only applicable to Kindle DX users. Nook has a feature called PDF text reflow, which concept is alien for most Kindle DX users.

Steven Lyle Jordan
10-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Considering this is a device that B&N is positioning for newspaper and (color) magazine content, I'm surprised that no one has addressed the question of exactly what magazines will be available, and in what formats, on the device.

Personally, I would love to be able to start reading all of my magazines on a portable reader, in color (where appropriate), and ditch the boxes of paper that are piling up in my house. Two things, therefore, concern me: Are my magazines available; and how flexible is the format they'll be offering--can I convert the mags to other formats? Save them? Read them on other devices, like my laptop?

The site just has a big "coming soon" sign on the newsstand. Somebody let me know when magazines start showing up, and how we can expect to be viewing them.

zinj
10-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Mirasol, Q1 of 2011? I can wait.

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Mirasol, Q1 of 2011? I can wait.

Any idea on expected prices?

cjottawa
10-27-2010, 09:04 AM
NOOKcolor: It's a tablet PC, not an ebook reader.

This move, just as we enter Christmas shopping season, seems aimed at biting a chunk off the bottom of Apple's iPad market.

B&N will capitalize on the masses who couldn't afford an iPad, couldn't justify giving one as a gift or weren't interested in grey-scale e-ink devices.

zinj
10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Any idea on expected prices?

New tech always costs more, but the first screens are only 5" with no touch interface (last I heard) so hopefully it's not too high.

boswd
10-27-2010, 09:16 AM

I'm really waiting to see how the responses go from real owners. The concept is very appealing to me as a bridge between my wife's iPad and my ereader. Would give her a similar device for reading Library books, and would give me a possibly functional versatility without having to get an iPhone next time my contract runs out.

My concern is while I am impressed with the iPhone/iTouch/iPad apps I have seen on my wife's iPad and son's iPhone, I haven't heard really great things about Droid apps.

Plus, it appears the FW upgrades don't always make it from Google thru the device manufacturers to the consumers in a timely fashion. (For instance, I believe 2.2 is the current FW with 2.3 or possibly 3.0 imminent, but I understand the NC is coming out with 2.0.)

I will be waiting to see how much additional functionality the NC will end up with once it is actually out in the world on its own. I don't need an iPad or iPhone, but if its gonna have an LCD screen it needs to be more than an ereader, IMHO.

Edit: Duh. I see it has limited browsing, can check mail -- features the original nook has, but perhaps with a little more versatility. Maybe a nook classic will do the job, after all.
I have a Droid x , I'm coming from the iPhone the apps are on par IOW's they're great. Every app I loved on my iPhone, was in the Android marketplace. Looking forward to Amazons Android App market coming at some point as well. Im liking the overall custmization you get with an android as opposed to my limited ones with my old iphone. But i dont want to derail

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
New tech always costs more, but the first screens are only 5" with no touch interface (last I heard) so hopefully it's not too high.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Part of my decision process in determining whether I'll get the NC is how soon alternative technology will make an appearance. IOW, how soon before we see a 7" multi-touch Mirasol display; and it doesn't appear to be as soon as I'd like.

MV64
10-27-2010, 09:29 AM
It's only useful for magazines and manga, things with bright colors. Therefore, I doubt it'll sell as well as the nook because of the more expensive price and the more limited possibilities.

I'm still not getting what the point of an iPad or other tablets are at this point. Even if you don't use 80% of your laptop, why would spend a ton of money to not even have the possibility of using that 80% at some point in future?

Then again, most people aren't value shoppers like me.

EDIT: And to those of you on the fence, I would wait to buy this. It'll likely go down to $200 within the first 6 months.

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 09:52 AM
It's only useful for magazines and manga, things with bright colors. Therefore, I doubt it'll sell as well as the nook because of the more expensive price and the more limited possibilities.

Actually, it's more versatile than an eInk reader. It's also useful for newspapers, textbooks, childrens interactive books, and numerous web applications.

Don't sell it short. Just as there avid novel readers who prefer eInk, there are also avid magazine readers who prefer color; and to date, they really don't have a comparable portable device to read from. Who wants to hold a netbook in bed to read a magazine? Try that on a subway.

While the NC is not for you, it's just what many others have been waiting for - a quality, inexpensive color reader. And for that reason, it will be a very hot gift item this holiday season.

mcooke66
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I think the NookColor is just one piece of a much larger move on B&N part to be on the leading edge of electronic books of every kind. There will come a day when printed books are no longer part of our culture. To me this is still a long ways off, but with devices like this coming into the market I may need to eat my words. Just consider families with small children that read books every day to their kids, My wife and I have older children and left behind is well over a thousand kidsí books, does it appeal to me that they could all be stored on a reading device, yes it does. My kids will be in college in the next 3 years, does it appeal to me to purchase electronic versions of textbooks for a much lower price and provide the student with a lightweight alternative to the tombs you see in college books stores, yes it does.

If you look at the branding on NookBooks, NookKids, Nook Study, NookNewstand, who can compete with that when you include a reasonably priced color platform to access those brands on. Right now nobody, expect Amazon to be having a ďcome to JesusĒ meeting right now about how they will move forward in this market. B&N is pushing this market forward not competing with Amazon for the scraps of black and white eink subculture.

As stated in many other posts B&N has done the research and the truth is the majority of the public reads on LCD screens all day does not understand the issues this forum goes on and on about. That same majority of the marketplace charges their cell phone every night. Battery life and LCD will not hurt this product with the target audience, which is the average electronics consumer who reads many different sources where color is important but does not consume 2 novels a week.

I purchased a Nook 2 weeks ago, thankfully going with the conventional wisdom that any new device from B&N would be a higher end color device. It did not add up that they would keep competing with Amazon on tiny little inside baseball eink features. I am a novel reader so eink is fine for me for now but I will be very interested in how solid this device is. My daughter may inherit my nook in 8 months depending on the how good or bad this device is.

mcooke66
10-27-2010, 10:19 AM

I am really unclear how this device has "limited" possibilities. It seems clear that B&N now has a dedicated eink ereader for that market and a much more versatile reader for the rest of the market that does not want black and white.

The possibilities are:
Full web browsing
video
games
Contacts calendaring email etc..

The current features of NOOKColor have many advantages over the current NOOK. Having said that the eink NOOK has lower price and longer battery life.

I think in 2 years people will all be wondering what the big deal with eink was, I say that as a fan of the technology.
The current features have many advantages over teh current NOOK.

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I think the NookColor is just one piece of a much larger move on B&N part to be on the leading edge of electronic books of every kind. There will come a day when printed books are no longer part of our culture. To me this is still a long ways off, but with devices like this coming into the market I may need to eat my words. Just consider families with small children that read books every day to their kids, My wife and I have older children and left behind is well over a thousand kidsí books, does it appeal to me that they could all be stored on a reading device, yes it does. My kids will be in college in the next 3 years, does it appeal to me to purchase electronic versions of textbooks for a much lower price and provide the student with a lightweight alternative to the tombs you see in college books stores, yes it does.

If you look at the branding on NookBooks, NookKids, Nook Study, NookNewstand, who can compete with that when you include a reasonably priced color platform to access those brands on. Right now nobody, expect Amazon to be having a ďcome to JesusĒ meeting right now about how they will move forward in this market. B&N is pushing this market forward not competing with Amazon for the scraps of black and white eink subculture.

As stated in many other posts B&N has done the research and the truth is the majority of the public reads on LCD screens all day does not understand the issues this forum goes on and on about. That same majority of the marketplace charges their cell phone every night. Battery life and LCD will not hurt this product with the target audience, which is the average electronics consumer who reads many different sources where color is important but does not consume 2 novels a week.

Excellent! You have a keen grasp of what this new device is for.

Over
10-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Zoom and pan is only applicable to Kindle DX users. Nook has a feature called PDF text reflow, which concept is alien for most Kindle DX users.

It's applicable to most devices. And PDF reflow isn't alien to me, at least. And I know iit can be a complete mess, except with simple/basic PDFs. And you loose the original format.

rty
10-27-2010, 11:03 AM
It's applicable to most devices. And PDF reflow isn't alien to me, at least.

Nope. I have both Nook and Kindle DXG. There's no zoom option on Nook like Kindle. You just need to change the font size and it will reflow the text of the PDF automatically. With Kindle DX, you can only do a fit to page or zoom (& pan). No text reflow option for Kindle DXG.

leebase
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd wait for an android slate. Pay a little more and get a lot more functionality. Including the ability to read B&N books, kindle books -- pretty much everything but Apple books (no big loss).

I do like that it validates the LCD as a reading platform.

Lee

Noah98
10-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I think you sum it up well, tubemonkey.

It's not for me, but I can hear some people I know Ooohing and ahhing over it already just for the pizazz at a lower price.

I'm not exactly sure why someone would go this direction, when they could go full android tablet...?

Especially not before it's been out long enough to know it's stable.

I do hope it works out well. I want B&N to succeed. Competition is good to have for all products. :)

Why is this not for avid readers? Why do we always assume that those that like reading on lcd devices aren't real readers? I love my eink nook, and my wife loves her lcd ipad. She is the very definition of an avid reader, and reads more than I do. She also reads mostly at night in bed and finds the lcd expereince to be superior to the eink + external light one. To each his own. We should not judge or make overgeneralizations. Just sayin...

WT Sharpe
10-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice but I'm waiting to see what Mirasol has in store for us. I want an eink reader that will read all DRM as well as all non-DRM titles. But since the won't be happening soon. I may have to buy a Kindle along side my current ereader.

There's been a rumor about a Kindle with a Mirasol color eInk display making the rounds for quite a while.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68616

That thread contains a link to EnGadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mirasol-shows-prototype-reader-like-device-playing-back-color-vi/

WT Sharpe
10-27-2010, 12:06 PM
At two-thirds the weight of an iPad and half the price of the most scaled-down model; if the virtual keyboard on the NOOKcolor works as well as the virtual keyboard on the iPad, it could be worth purchasing, if only for writing. B&N says it can edit MS Word documents, but I don't know if that feature comes with it or is an optional add-on.

eGeezer
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Nope. I have both Nook and Kindle DXG. There's no zoom option on Nook like Kindle.

But the thread is titled "Nook Color is Here!" What do nook features (or lack thereof) have to do with the NOOKcolor features?

While I haven't seen all the pictures of the NOOKcolor, the ones I see on the website keep showing full page newspapers/magazines, which seem to be pretty small print on a 7" screen. I only saw one "reverse pinch" that zoomed a little.

I want confirmation that it really can zoom in to the columns on that page. While I'm at it, I want confirmation of what the "web browsing" capabilities comprise.

Edit: Okay. got zoom confirmed (engadget video). In magazines, they have "article view", which looks great, but also the pan and zoom feature I was wondering about. Now I need to see something that demos the browser. the NOOKcolor may or may not suit my purposes over, say, an iPhone or Android phone, but it is an intriguing option that is also an ereader as opposed to one that is also a phone, but (for my purposes) not an ereader.

ProfCrash
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't get it. Other Android based tablets are going to be released that will probably do the same thing, if not more, then the NOOK Color.

I understand that B&N is trying to develop multiple product lines, that is smart, but this really isn't an e-reader and I have difficulty seeing B&N being a major player in the tablet wars.

Color me confused. But this is not marketed at me. The IPad baffles me as well and it sold like hot cakes so I am not an accurate barometer of what the next best electronic gizmo is.

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't get it. Other Android based tablets are going to be released that will probably do the same thing, if not more, then the NOOK Color.

But will they be priced at $250?

Price is an important issue and not everyone needs a full spec'd tablet with dual cameras, video recording, GPS, full app store, etc. For most, a tablet that can access the web (email, social, favorite websites), play music, play videos, and read their color content will be more than adequate.

I fall in the latter group. I don't need a full tablet.

lionel47
10-27-2010, 02:13 PM

I understand that B&N is trying to develop multiple product lines, that is smart, but this really isn't an e-reader and I have difficulty seeing B&N being a major player in the tablet wars.

Color me confused. But this is not marketed at me. The IPad baffles me as well and it sold like hot cakes so I am not an accurate barometer of what the next best electronic gizmo is.

I think that B&N's thinking is that it can capture one demographic with the classic Nook. This group is probably made up of over 40 (though not necessarily) voracious readers who don't mind a little bit of technology.

The Nook Color, meanwhile, is probably aimed at under 40 readers who also probably have small children. The under 40 sector probably does not see reading off an LCD as an issue. They grew up doing it. Also, the Nook Kids thing will double the use of the device as a pacifier that is somewhat educational for their small children. I mean, letting them play with the Nook Color and having books read to them is probably looked at as more educational than giving them an iPad and letting them look at videos on YouTube.

This might especially appeal to geeky parents like me and my wife. She is a professor and I am a literature and film lover. Between us, we have books and bookcases in every room of the house except the kitchen, dining room and deck.

I'd rather get a Nook Color to let my kids and I share. My friends have an iPad for their kids. Not our style, I don't think.

nyrath
10-27-2010, 02:35 PM
NOOKcolor: It's a tablet PC, not an ebook reader.
Nope, a tablet PC is a device that you can install any software you want on it. Blasted color Nook is locked down just as hard as the iPad. You can only get "official" apps.

Some commentator opined that this was to prevent Amazon from porting their Kindle Reader software to the color Nook, which sounds logical to me.

Nahgem
10-27-2010, 02:38 PM
But will they be priced at $250?

Price is an important issue and not everyone needs a full spec'd tablet with dual cameras, video recording, GPS, full app store, etc. For most, a tablet that can access the web (email, social, favorite websites), play music, play videos, and read their color content will be more than adequate.

I fall in the latter group. I don't need a full tablet.

Exactly. I'm not ready to actually pay for a tablet at the moment, but I'll definitely be thinking about it when I go to grad school; a basic tablet that has internet, word processing, video playback, and the ability to read textbooks/PDFs is all I'll need. Given how happy I've been with my Nook, when it comes time to shop for a tablet, I'll probably give the Nook Color some serious thought.

ProfCrash
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
tubemonkey: Will you be buying one?

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Exactly. I'm not ready to actually pay for a tablet at the moment, but I'll definitely be thinking about it when I go to grad school; a basic tablet that has internet, word processing, video playback, and the ability to read textbooks/PDFs is all I'll need. Given how happy I've been with my Nook, when it comes time to shop for a tablet, I'll probably give the Nook Color some serious thought.

It's good to see a large company take the middle ground and deliver a product capable of filling the needs of most people; and at an affordable price.

Also, since PDF is very important to many people on this forum, it'll be interesting to see how well NC handles it.

tubemonkey
10-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Possibly. I'm in the market for a tablet to replace my netbook for traveling. After watching tablet after tablet succumb to the "hey, it's a giant smartphone, so let's price this thing higher than an iPad", I was getting very disillusioned.

Frankly, I don't need a full tablet experience. All I want is a 7" device with a full web browser, basic multimedia, and the ability to read color content. Deliver that and I'm happy.

On paper, NC meets my requirements. But, I won't know until it hits the shelves and gets reviewed. Key for me is how well it surfs the web.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because this is just what I'm looking for and at the right price point.

lionel47
10-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Ever since somebody showed me the "ignore" feature on here, I have not seen tubemonkey's posts. Anyway, it's cool.

detayls
10-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I do wonder about all the LCD moaning. Is it psychosomatic?

I have been using an iPad with the Nook application for months and have no issues. It obviously helps to dim the back light in a dark room but that is no big deal.

All the e-ink add-on lights are essentially making as much light reflect into the users' eyes.

I doubt it is a real concern and will quickly fade away. ;)

Dandy55
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
The more - the merrier!

Nice attempt from Barns & Noble to bring in something really different and new as a reading device. Different people have different preferences, requirements, priorities - so it is all for the good that there is a new device, answering the need for color reading.

Quite reasonable price - half the price of iPad, same as first incarnations of Kindle and Nook eInk readers.

Eight hours of reading is not so bad - quite OK, actually. Come home from work, have a few hours of evening reading, charge device at night - what's wrong with this scenario?

ProfCrash
10-27-2010, 05:41 PM

I have been using an iPad with the Nook application for months and have no issues. It obviously helps to dim the back light in a dark room but that is no big deal.

All the e-ink add-on lights are essentially making as much light reflect into the users' eyes.

I find myself getting headaches if I read off an LCD screen for too long. I also end up with very tired eyes. I prefer the e-ink. I can read longer and with greater comfort.

monkeyluis
10-27-2010, 06:12 PM

I think just like TVs people put the brightness all the way up. That's why it bother's them. Reading on an iPad doesn't bother me either.

MV64
10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
You can reduce the brightness but it's still going to create more eye strain than e-ink. It's just a fact. Some people aren't as susceptible to it, but especially to people who work on computers all day, they're not going to want to stare at more backlight. I work on a computer in a brightly lit room and I get headaches and eye strain from the backlight. Dimming it will help, but it's not the same.

However, if it doesn't affect you, you're lucky. But it's not like it's some imaginary thing for it to affect the vast majority of people.

detayls
10-27-2010, 07:24 PM
You can reduce the brightness but it's still going to create more eye strain than e-ink. It's just a fact.

Please could you cite research for this "fact"?

I don't think it is really a fact - just a heavily promoted opinion.

Over
10-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Nope. I have both Nook and Kindle DXG. There's no zoom option on Nook like Kindle. You just need to change the font size and it will reflow the text of the PDF automatically. With Kindle DX, you can only do a fit to page or zoom (& pan). No text reflow option for Kindle DXG.

I guess not having the option to zoom in is bad. I would like to keep the formatting of my docuiments, see as they were meant to be seen. Unless we're talking about text only PDFs and such.

Nahgem
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Fact in the sense of "Has lots of official research to support it"? Perhaps not. Fact that I personally get headaches from reading on an LCD screen for long periods of time? And that I noticed this long before I knew about other screen options, and thus wasn't being swayed by marketing? Absolutely. Fact that other folks have similar claims? Certainly.

Clearly eyestrain/headaches from LCD isn't a problem for everybody, so maybe it's not a universal truth. But it's definitely true for some of us, which is why we love the eInk so much.

That said, there really doesn't need to be an LCD vs. eInk war (I'm aiming this at the general concept, not specific posters; I see this sort of thing all over online). They're just different technologies designed for different people with different needs. I think it's smart of B&N to capitalize on this split in the market by trying to appeal to both customer groups.

luvmy4brats
10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
That 8 hour battery life is with the wireless off. Once you turn the wireless on and/or decide to listen to Pandora, that battery is going to take a serious hit. If you plan on reading for awhile, you better stay close to an outlet or bring an extension cord. There's no user replaceable battery, so when it dies, you're out of luck.

I wanted to like it. I had every intention of buying it before the actual presentation (I'm a gadget junkie).. But that's because I had hoped we'd be getting something new and innovative. Um, no. I have a Kindle, a nook, and an iPad. I just don't see how or why I'd want to use this. It weighs nearly a pound, has a cruddy battery life, and just doesn't make sense to me.

I cannot figure out for the life of me who B&N is targeting with this. They did go out of their way to not mention it's actually an LCD screen, only calling it backlit and VividView.. People are going to think it's an e-ink screen... But it's not. Sorry, it's an iPad wannabe. I'll wait for new technology and stick with what I've got in the meantime.

But hey, you can hang charms on that "signature design element"

ManosHandsOfFate
10-27-2010, 09:19 PM
I won't buy it because of the crappy battery life and the weight but I hope they sell a ton of them. The more reading devices sold, the more rights holders will be encouraged to convert older books (I hope).

luvmy4brats
10-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I won't buy it because of the crappy battery life and the weight but I hope they sell a ton of them. The more reading devices sold, the more rights holders will be encouraged to convert older books (I hope).

This is true. I've got a bunch I'm waiting for.... :book2:

aagstn
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
However, if it doesn't affect you, you're lucky. But it's not like it's some imaginary thing for it to affect the vast majority of people.
I would love to see some real scientific proof that the "vast majority" of people get headaches and eye strain from lcd. I have no doubt some people do, but I think it is a vast minority of people.

Steven Lyle Jordan
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM

Well, it's a fact that everyone's eyes are different... some are comfortable reading LCD screens all day, some aren't. Some manage to find a combination of settings (font size, brightness, color balance, etc) that make LCDs comfortable to them... some don't. And some people are comfortable with the low contrast of e-ink screens... some aren't.

No need to pick on the other group, though... that's just the way it is.

markbot
10-27-2010, 10:49 PM

This is yet more evidence of B&N's desperation. I give them 5 yrs until they close shop entirely.

lionel47
10-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, it's a fact that everyone's eyes are different... some are comfortable reading LCD screens all day, some aren't. Some manage to find a combination of settings (font size, brightness, color balance, etc) that make LCDs comfortable to them... some don't. And some people are comfortable with the low contrast of e-ink screens... some aren't.

No need to pick on the other group, though... that's just the way it is.

NY Times article on e-readers and eye strain (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/do-e-readers-cause-eye-strain/)

ChrisChillin
10-27-2010, 11:43 PM
The Nook Color, meanwhile, is probably aimed at under 40 readers who also probably have small children. The under 40 sector probably does not see reading off an LCD as an issue.

It's always interesting to me, as one of the "young people" (upper twenties), to hear what we are supposed to be like. Of course, it may very well be that most of my peers take no issue with an LCD screen, and B&N is marketing well. But I for one don't like reading long-form on one at all. I read a lot of journal articles downloaded from online databases and I always print them out. My quite tech-savvy best friend has recently received his Kindle, not a tablet, and I will soon get mine as well.

<...>

My wife is one of those who says she gets a headache. I do think the "eye strain" thing is a bit overblown because, from what I've read, eye strain as a medical diagnosis is different from what people claim to experience with current LCD screens. As for me, I can't quite describe anything in medical terms that bothers me. I just...don't like it.

But more than that, one of the big issues for me is energy efficiency. I haven't seen this talked about since I've joined this forum, and that may be because MR members tend towards being gadget people as well as heavy readers. All in all, I'm interested in reducing my carbon footprint and not adding another charger plugged into the wall every night. I wrestled a lot with the question as to whether having an e-reader would mean that my personal practice of sustainability would be advanced or pushed back. Ultimately, I have decided that the way I will use my Kindle means a net positive. Heck, I even want to build a small solar charger station so my Kindle isn't running on electricity from coal!

Thus, if Mirasol is as efficient as is being claimed, I can wait a few years for it first to enter mass production, then to come down in price.

orwell2k
10-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Looks like a response to the iPad - brillint colour touch screen - at least for book reading. iPad does 'more' in terms of the other apps/functions it has, plus a bigger screen, but if you use an iPad for just reading, then this may be a viable alternative (and 1/2 the price!).

Godzil
10-28-2010, 07:20 AM
I'm comming after the battle, but, is this thing a joke?

I find it really really ugly :/

Steven Lyle Jordan
10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
NY Times article on e-readers and eye strain (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/do-e-readers-cause-eye-strain/)

Good article. It makes clear that a lot of the "issues" people have with reading on-screen is due to the way they read, their personal ergonomics, how often they rest, etc... suggesting your own reading habits have more to do with which screen works best for you.

mcooke66
10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
This is yet more evidence of B&N's desperation. I give them 5 yrs until they close shop entirely.

Funny how folks on this forum actually think they represent the majority. Everyone I talk to wants color, charges their phone every night and never goes on an ereader forum. I cannot tell you how many people I have to explain eInk to who then look at me funny when I say it is easier to read on then an LCD. The first response is why is there no backlight?

I think B&N knows this and thatís why their new device is NOT designed for the eInk novel reader only, cannot charge more than once a week crowd. They have a device for that. This is for people who want color and more options.

Textbooks, childrenís books, magazines, newspapers. Ipad proved this is the option many readers want so B&N has produced a reader focused tablet, smaller lighter with ties to the what may become the broadest eReader market place in terms of versatility.

Fighting with Amazon over the scraps of the black and white eInk market seems like the move that would doom them, moving the industry forward and providing a mass market ereader just seems like good business.

If the hardware sucks and the device is not easy to use then they have a giant fail on their hands, but a snappy affordable device that propels users to buy more ebooks from B&N right before the holiday season hardly feels like desperation. I imagine Amazon does not feel this is a move of desperation and is quickly preparing for a color version of kindle, it has been rumored at for a while.

mcooke66
10-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Looks like a response to the iPad - brillint colour touch screen - at least for book reading. iPad does 'more' in terms of the other apps/functions it has, plus a bigger screen, but if you use an iPad for just reading, then this may be a viable alternative (and 1/2 the price!).

Exactly, a color reader sized for reading and priced just higher then the Sony 650 (B&W). It feels like they fill a space and are not trying to compete with the tablets coming out or the ipad. My wife reads a novel a week and probabaly 5 color magazines, she has no need for days of battery life, this is much closer to her reading needs then black and white and much closer to her price then iPad.

lionel47
10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Funny how folks on this forum actually think they represent the majority. Everyone I talk to wants color, charges their phone every night and never goes on an ereader forum. I cannot tell you how many people I have to explain eInk to who then look at me funny when I say it is easier to read on then an LCD. The first response is why is there no backlight?

I think B&N knows this and thatís why their new device is NOT designed for the eInk novel reader only, cannot charge more than once a week crowd. They have a device for that. This is for people who want color and more options.

Textbooks, childrenís books, magazines, newspapers. Ipad proved this is the option many readers want so B&N has produced a reader focused tablet, smaller lighter with ties to the what may become the broadest eReader market place in terms of versatility.

Fighting with Amazon over the scraps of the black and white eInk market seems like the move that would doom them, moving the industry forward and providing a mass market ereader just seems like good business.

If the hardware sucks and the device is not easy to use then they have a giant fail on their hands, but a snappy affordable device that propels users to buy more ebooks from B&N right before the holiday season hardly feels like desperation. I imagine Amazon does not feel this is a move of desperation and is quickly preparing for a color version of kindle, it has been rumored at for a while.

Amen.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 10:26 AM

I get that. I also think that most people will look at it an go "It is a tablet that is restrictd. Hey, I can buy a similar tablet, for a similar price, and its not restricted" and buy another product. Or buy the Nook Color, figure out it is restricted when they get home and try to download apps, and return it.

The only way to avoid that is to hope that people are doing their electronics shopping at BN and not Best Buy. Because if I am at Best Buy looking at e-readers and I see a Nook Color I am going to go "Tablet." If I decide I want a tablet, I am going to go to the aisle that sells tablets and take a look there. Then I am going to see tablets with more functionality at about the same price and buy one of those.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 10:42 AM

Well said!

boswd
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM

well said

mcooke66
10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I get that. I also think that most people will look at it an go "It is a tablet that is restrictd. Hey, I can buy a similar tablet, for a similar price, and its not restricted" and buy another product. Or buy the Nook Color, figure out it is restricted when they get home and try to download apps, and return it.

The only way to avoid that is to hope that people are doing their electronics shopping at BN and not Best Buy. Because if I am at Best Buy looking at e-readers and I see a Nook Color I am going to go "Tablet." If I decide I want a tablet, I am going to go to the aisle that sells tablets and take a look there. Then I am going to see tablets with more functionality at about the same price and buy one of those.

Believe me I am not claiming this device is a good competitor to other tablet devices but as a direction for ereading I think B&N is going the right way. They may want you to buy their device but they will also be very happy to be the primary provider of the color ereading materials you use on your other tablet. Notice how they are focused on the NOOKapp improvements. They want IPad owners to subscribe to NOOKNewstand and NOOKKids etc. It makes sense for them to offer a device in this space it makes more sense for them to try and corner the market on content. Seems like a dual strategy to me.

encapuchado
10-28-2010, 12:44 PM

I will wait until I can go to a B&N and I put my dirty paws on one nook color before ordering it.

boswd
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM

this is what I don't understand, just because it's color LCD why does it automatically make it a "restricted" tablet but if it's eink it's not an issue.

When I see the Nook color I say "Oooh an LCD based ereader". Not a "Well can it start my car" tablet.

The Nook Color is NOT going after the tablet " I want my Apps, my emails, my everything, my Hulu etc" crowd. That is Samsung's job

BN is taking the ereader world and bringing the advantages LCD tech can provide tha eink just can not at this time.

It's an ereader, that allows the animation, the features, such as touching a word you don't understand having options with it. LCD does bring on a whole new level of "what you can do " with an ereader that eink just simply can not. It just can't.

Again this is not going after the iPad or even the Samsung Galaxy S Tab. This going after
1. People who reading on an LCD does not bother them
2. Parents with young children
3. People who are frustrated with the limations of eink for PDF's
4. Comic and Magna readers
5. Magazines and Newspapers
6. Students for text books, color maps etc.

Speaking of children, it has live interaction books that kids can touch and their responses, it has a "Read to Me" feature, that has an acutal voice and not that creepy 1980's computer voice on the Kindle. I mean seriously that whole text to speach on the Kindle is an absolute joke. I have GPS's that are older than the first kindle that have more natural sounding voices.

This fits alot of voids for people who don't want to pay over $500 on an iPad especially when all they want is highly featured e-reader.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
When I see the Nook color I say "Oooh an LCD based ereader". Not a "Well can it start my car" tablet.

The Nook Color is NOT going after the tablet " I want my Apps, my emails, my everything, my Hulu etc" crowd. That is Samsung's job

But that is what they are competing with. The less expensive tablet that allows for apps, email, video, and a color e-reader. How many people do you think will carry a tablet and a Nook Color? Why would they do that when they can buy one device that does both things? Heck, the Classic Nook and Kindle are compared to the IPad and tablets when they are not even close to a tablet.

this is what I don't understand, just because it's color LCD why does it automatically make it a "restricted" tablet but if it's eink it's not an issue.

BN has been calling it a tablet e-reader. They used the word tablet in the first place. Lets face it, it is going to be compared to all other tablets out there. And when the comparisons come out for the tablets, how high do you think the Nook Color is going to be? And where is it going to fall in the rankings for an e-reader? It is a hybrid device and one that is not going to work for someone who wants an honest to god tablet or an e-ink reader.

I read in a couple of places on these boards that folks had seen that the NOOK Color would be restricted and that people would not be able to buy apps from the Google store. It is more then possible that said posts were based on pure speculation.

I went to BN website and took a look at the features and the specs. BN does not mention having access to Google apps which make me think that the speculation is correct.

Why is that important? If I am buying a tablet, I would want to download the apps that I want to use. Apple allows NOOK and Kindle apps on the IPad.

So why would I spend the same amount of money or a similar amount of money on a tablet which does not allow me to download the apps that I want? There is probably more money to be made in the sale of the books then there is in selling the device. So sell the product, interactive kids books, and allow people to download for free an app that they can use on their netbook, tablet, or PC to play said interactive books.

Because I really doubt that too many people are going to go to Best Buy or Wal Mart and buy the Nook Color when there are other tablets that can be used to read in color that will do more then the Nook Color.

How many people are really going to find it worth an extra $100 for a LCD color screen e-reader with 8 hour battery life? I know that there are folks out there who will but I am guessing that it is a smaller number then what some folks here are thinking.

Because battery life does matter to folks, especially people who travel.

Because weight matters and a nearly one pound, without cover, color e-reader is going to be hard on some folks hands.

Because I don't buy a ton of parents running out and going "I need to spend $250 on a color e-reader so junior can read interactive books." When they can buy junior books for under $10 that they are going to be less worried about him/her destroying.

Because I don't believe that the business traveller is going to want to carry his/her lap top, tablet, and color e-reader with them.

Because I think many people will end up choosing a more powerful tablet that is priced about the same and I think those are going to be released in the very near future.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Lets face it, it is going to be compared to all other tablets out there. And when the comparisons come out for the tablets, how high do you think the Nook Color is going to be?

top: iPad / Samsung Galaxy

middle: Nook Color

bottom: Velocity Cruz / Pandigital Novel

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Because battery life does matter to folks, especially people who travel.

wireless off

Nook = 10 hours
Nook Color = 8 hours
Not much difference.

EricDP
10-28-2010, 01:59 PM
...is that a crudload of fingerprints on the screen? fail.
Yeah, that's what turned me off the newer Sonys too. I hate anything on my reading screen, even dust annoys me. I keep my reading screen very clean. I don't want to read on a touch screen.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 02:19 PM
There is a reason that I am not involved in marketing and R&D for tech companies so I could be totally wrong. I don't doubt that people will buy it but I am not seeing topics here or at Nook boards or at Kindle Boards (there is a place to discuss the Nook and a decent number of folks seem to have a Kindle and a Nook) talking about how excited they are to pre-order one. I know this is in stark contrast to when the K2 and K3 were released. I am guessing it is in stark contrast to when the Nook was released. And if boards devoted to mobile readers do not seem to have people jumping up and down with excitement, what makes you think that this is making much of a wave with the masses?

I hope for BN sake that this does well but I continue to be baffelled. It appears to me to be a hybrid device that is easily replaced with a tablet, for those wanting color, or an e-ink ereader, for those who want to read books primarily and are cool with saving a decent chunk of change. B&N do not have the cool rep that Apple does so people are not going to flock to the device for that reason.

I like the competition. It pushes Amazon to make a better product. I like that more people are reading e-books, it means more books released as e-books. These are good things for me even if I don't own a Nook. And I like debating with you folks, it is fun. :cool:

top: iPad / Samsung Galaxy

middle: Nook Color

bottom: Velocity Cruz / Pandigital Novel

I doubt that will be the case in a month.

wireless off
Nook = 10 hours
Nook Color = 8 hours
Not much difference.

I seem to recall you saying that one reason you would not buy a Nook was because of the battery life. So is 8 hours of battery life good enough for you?

And it does not appear that the battery is replaceable so you can't even carry a charged second battery with you to augment the battery life.

monkeyluis
10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
You can reduce the brightness but it's still going to create more eye strain than e-ink. It's just a fact. Some people aren't as susceptible to it, but especially to people who work on computers all day, they're not going to want to stare at more backlight. I work on a computer in a brightly lit room and I get headaches and eye strain from the backlight. Dimming it will help, but it's not the same.

I work on 2 LCDs for 8 hrs a day in a bright room & I do just fine.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I seem to recall you saying that one reason you would not buy a Nook was because of the battery life. So is 8 hours of battery life good enough for you?

And it does not appear that the battery is replaceable so you can't even carry a charged second battery with you to augment the battery life.

That's right, I wasn't going to buy a Nook, because its battery life was too short for my needs. I was holding out for Nook 2, but now that's out the window with the release of Nook Color. Now I have no idea what I'm going to do for my eInk reader, except compromise.

As to my interest in Nook Color, it's because I was also in the market for a 7" tablet. I was hoping to get a full spec'd Android tablet, but with each announcement of a new release, I kept getting disillusioned as one company another decided to treat them like smart phones and offer them up to wireless carriers at outrageous prices.

So Nook Color comes as a pleasant surprise. If it can do email, surf the web, and read my color content, then its all the tablet I need.

Even if I get the Color, I'm still getting an eInk reader.

eAnagnostis
10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I am wondering if Nook Color has a MULTI-touch screen. In the video over at Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/nook-color-first-hands-on/) and in one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNcArkH5h4) of the official ads at YouTube (0:28) there seems to be multi-touch enabled. But no one mentions multi-touch whatsoever, neither B&N nor in websits and blog, which is peculiar - it would be too killer a feature to downplay it. Does anybody know what is going on?

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
What is a multi touch screen?

It might be that they are downplaying it because most folks have no clue about the different types of touchscreen.

eAnagnostis
10-28-2010, 03:13 PM
In these videos there are two-finger pinch-to-zoom gestures

Catlady
10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I wanted to like it. I had every intention of buying it before the actual presentation (I'm a gadget junkie).. But that's because I had hoped we'd be getting something new and innovative. Um, no. I have a Kindle, a nook, and an iPad. I just don't see how or why I'd want to use this. It weighs nearly a pound, has a cruddy battery life, and just doesn't make sense to me.

I cannot figure out for the life of me who B&N is targeting with this. They did go out of their way to not mention it's actually an LCD screen, only calling it backlit and VividView.. People are going to think it's an e-ink screen... But it's not. Sorry, it's an iPad wannabe. I'll wait for new technology and stick with what I've got in the meantime.

Well, I think they're targeting people who DON'T have a Kindle, a Nook, and an iPad, but are perhaps looking for their first e-reader/multimedia gadget.

eGeezer
10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Multitouch is one with that "pinch and zoom" capability.

"Monotouch", if you please, is one you can touch or swipe, but can't "pinch and zoom".

I did notice the "pinch/zoom" used (just once) in one of the nook website videos. It was during a demo of the magazines, so Im not sure it also has that capability during book reading.

But they were also demonstrating the "article zoom" (or something like that) where you could touch a magazine article and it would appear zoomed in. This is necessary, of course, because a full magzine displayed on the screen would be unreadable by any but the youngest eyes.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Multitouch is one with that "pinch and zoom" capability.

"Monotouch", if you please, is one you can touch or swipe, but can't "pinch and zoom".

I did notice the "pinch/zoom" used (just once) in one of the nook website videos. It was during a demo of the magazines, so Im not sure it also has that capability during book reading.

But they were also demonstrating the "article zoom" (or something like that) where you could touch a magazine article and it would appear zoomed in. This is necessary, of course, because a full magzine displayed on the screen would be unreadable by any but the youngest eyes.

Thank you.

I am guessing that they will demonstrate said capability for folks but not name it in commericals and the like because most folks don't know the difference.

Catlady
10-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I work on 2 LCDs for 8 hrs a day in a bright room & I do just fine.

I put in up to 12 hours a day reading from an LCD display in a bright room, and have done so for about 15 years. Yes, occasionally my eyes bother me a little bit when I have to put in a 12-hour day, but that would also happen in the olden days when I was working with paper.

eAnagnostis
10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I am guessing that they will demonstrate said capability for folks but not name it in commericals and the like because most folks don't know the difference.

Well, OK, but they don't mention it anywhere, not in their website, in their detailed press release.

And the tryth is that due to iPad and smartphones many have become familiar with the concept and B&N would mention anything that would make their Nook Color look like a full tablet PC.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I think they are familiar with the concept but not its formal name. If they mentioned the "pinch and expand method" then people would get what they are talking about. I am not so certain folks know "Multitouch". (shrugs)

Rebo
10-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I am pretty sure that I saw the ďpinch and zoomĒ in the Engadget video so I assume that it has multi-touch. On the other hand, in the video, during the reading demo, the guy had to select a menu to change fonts so that means no multi-touch for reading. Now I am confused.:blink:

detayls
10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
The screen reacts to at least pinch and zoom and Android 2.1+ has Multitouch, so yes, this is likely to be a multi-touch capable device.:2thumbsup

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
The screen reacts to at least pinch and zoom and Android 2.1+ has Multitouch, so yes, this is likely to be a multi-touch capable device.:2thumbsup

And next year's (early, I hope) bump to 2.2 will bring performance boosts and Adobe Flash 10.1 support.

eAnagnostis
10-28-2010, 04:33 PM
As multi-touch hasn't been announced officially, probable t the devices for the demo were more advanced that the actual Nook Color at the time. Unfortunately, this is possible, because companies want to impress with their new products and, remember, all "hand-on" videos are in fact videos with the device in the hands of someone from B&N, not a journalist or a blogger.

boswd
10-28-2010, 04:57 PM
I am pretty sure that I saw the “pinch and zoom” in the Engadget video so I assume that it has multi-touch. On the other hand, in the video, during the reading demo, the guy had to select a menu to change fonts so that means no multi-touch for reading. Now I am confused.:blink:

pinch to zoom is totally different then changing font's. You are changing the actual style and or the size of the lettering.

they have nothing to do with each other.

EricDP
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
...but I am not seeing topics here or at Nook boards or at Kindle Boards ... talking about how excited they are to pre-order one...
I don't think this is for the same market. People who already have a nook bought it because:

They like to read books
They believe eInk is better than LCD
They like a dedicated, simple device
People this is targetted for are clearly magazine readers who like shiny, flashy, colourful things, don't want the size or weight of an iPad, and don't really care to know the difference between eInk and LCD.

Personally, I don't think LCD is that bad in the right conditions. In a well lit room with the LCD backlight adjusted properly, it causes little to no eyestrain for me, and countless other office workers who stare at LCD screens all day. If the backlight is too dim (e.g. reading outdoors) or too bright (e.g. reading in bed), then it can cause eyestrain. If it can be easily adjusted and the range (darkest to brightest) is adequate, LCD can be just as good as eInk.

I also don't get the battery argument. My Nintendo DS, with it's dual LCD, outlasts my nook, while doing heavy animation the whole time...

lionel47
10-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey, all, I'm not trying to spam. But I just wrote something about the Nook Color on my blog. (http://5thwind.com/) It may be interesting...but maybe not. :chinscratch:

afv011
10-28-2010, 06:33 PM
The CPU specs are out: ARM Cortex A8-based TI OMAP3621 @ 800MHz.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/nook-color-processor-revealed-arm-cortex-a8-based-ti-omap3621/

boswd
10-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice 800 should rock

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 07:03 PM
The CPU specs are out: ARM Cortex A8-based TI OMAP3621 @ 800MHz.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/nook-color-processor-revealed-arm-cortex-a8-based-ti-omap3621/

Excellent specs:

7" IPS multi-touch capacitive 1024 x 600 @ 169 PPI display panel
ARM Cortex A8-based, 45nm OMAP3621 processor @ 800MHz
And it's only $250??? Dang, hackers are going to be all over this. If this was an Apple, Dell, or Samsung device; they'd be pricing it over $400 easily. Thank goodness it's "just" an ereader. ;)

ZombieEatsYou
10-28-2010, 07:48 PM

I do have one and I sneer at it every time I have to wipe it down.

boswd
10-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Excellent specs:

7" IPS multi-touch capacitive 1024 x 600 @ 169 PPI display panel
ARM Cortex A8-based, 45nm OMAP3621 processor @ 800MHz
And it's only $250??? Dang, hackers are going to be all over this. If this was an Apple, Dell, or Samsung device; they'd be pricing it over $400 easily. Thank goodness it's "just" an ereader. ;)

yes this is an android hacker's dream.

boswd
10-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I do have one and I sneer at it every time I have to wipe it down.

so do you say Fail everytime you wipe down your screen?:rolleyes:

ZombieEatsYou
10-28-2010, 07:54 PM

so do you say Fail everytime you wipe down your screen?:rolleyes:

Yep. Brains are a b*tch to clean off. They're really greasy. Who knew.

MV64
10-28-2010, 08:00 PM
What is this nonsense about the nook having 10 hours of battery life with the wifi turned off? It's 10 days, not 10 hours.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
What is this nonsense about the nook having 10 hours of battery life with the wifi turned off? It's 10 days, not 10 hours.

10 days x 24 hours/day = 240 hours reading time :eek:

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
ummmmmm no one reads the days as 24 hours. That is normally * to say something like this "***** Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific units; actual results may vary. "

Normal usage tends to equate to 2-3 hours per day. Most e-readers base normal usage on number of page turns.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
ummmmmm no one reads the days as 24 hours. That is normally * to say something like this "***** Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific units; actual results may vary. "

Normal usage tends to equate to 2-3 hours per day. Most e-readers base normal usage on number of page turns.

Do you have a link where they based it on 2-3 hours reading each day? It was my understanding that it was based on one hour each day; though I've yet to see it in print.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I have not seen it in print any where. I base my 2-3 hours based on people saying that their Kindle batteries have lasted X number of days (K2 two weeks) with reading 2-3 hours a day. I have seen that type of posting frequently enough that I figure that is the average. (shrugs)

totally unscientific.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I have not seen it in print any where. I base my 2-3 hours based on people saying that their Kindle batteries have lasted X number of days (K2 two weeks) with reading 2-3 hours a day. I have seen that type of posting frequently enough that I figure that is the average. (shrugs)

totally unscientific.

No problem. I've seen similar posts; and also some having to charge every 3-4 days. It's all a YMMV type thing.

ProfCrash
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
The people taking about charging 3-4 days with Kindles tend to read 8 hours or are leaving 3G/WiFi on.

tubemonkey
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
The people taking about charging 3-4 days with Kindles tend to read 8 hours or are leaving 3G/WiFi on.

Sorry, I should've clarified that more. I was referring to the Nook with wireless off and no more than an hour or two.

I'm not impressed with the Nook's battery life; the Kindle's is much better. But if they're used as "city" devices, it really matters not; since power outlets abound.

Also, I'm not worried about the battery life on the Nook Color, because I'd never take it anywhere that didn't have power outlets.

Reeses
10-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi...I'm new here and I've been obsessing about getting a new ereader. You guys have been super helpful and I believe Kevin made a good point. I like to read, and I'm in Canada. When the Kobo came out, I thought I would be happy with a simple ereader, but turns out that all that time, I wished I had color. I don't mind LCD...I spend my days looking at LCD screens and to be honest, I don't read for hours on end, so it doesn't bother my eyes. The Nook Color, I believe, are for people who want an ereader, but with something that will remind them of a real book. That's color. Honestly, I like seeing my covers in color and I know to some of you, it may sound stupid, but that's their target market. I don't want and don't need an Ipad. I don't want a tablet and I sure as hell don't want to get jacked in the metro/subway. So a cool looking color ereader that can do other things when I'm not reading...yeah, I want one. I read soooo many things about LCD screens, mirasol etc. that I actually considered getting a Kindle. I almost gave up on getting a color ereader. Until new technology comes out, the Nook Color will keep me busy for a while. I need immediate gratification...I can't wait another year. 3G...I don't care for. I will be happy with wi-fi...and if I get fed up with it, my little sister will be more than happy to have it :)

ZombieEatsYou
10-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi...I'm new here and I've been obsessing about getting a new ereader. You guys have been super helpful and I believe Kevin made a good point. I like to read, and I'm in Canada. When the Kobo came out, I thought I would be happy with a simple ereader, but turns out that all that time, I wished I had color. I don't mind LCD...I spend my days looking at LCD screens and to be honest, I don't read for hours on end, so it doesn't bother my eyes. The Nook Color, I believe, are for people who want an ereader, but with something that will remind them of a real book. That's color. Honestly, I like seeing my covers in color and I know to some of you, it may sound stupid, but that's their target market. I don't want and don't need an Ipad. I don't want a tablet and I sure as hell don't want to get jacked in the metro/subway. So a cool looking color ereader that can do other things when I'm not reading...yeah, I want one. I read soooo many things about LCD screens, mirasol etc. that I actually considered getting a Kindle. I almost gave up on getting a color ereader. Until new technology comes out, the Nook Color will keep me busy for a while. I need immediate gratification...I can't wait another year. 3G...I don't care for. I will be happy with wi-fi...and if I get fed up with it, my little sister will be more than happy to have it :)

Welcome aboard. That's a good, thoughtful, post and I find myself in the same boat. I like my Sony, but do wish for color and improved contrast. I was actually holding off getting the new Sony model until the Nook rumor panned out. Now, my big doubts are the battery life and the shiny LCD. If the battery were user replaceable; then maybe.

murraypaul
10-29-2010, 06:26 AM

It is also very well timed. Apple have just confirmed that they aren't going to release a 6-7" iPad, so anyone looking for something in that range know that they need to look elsewhere, and suddenly B&N come along with a nice looking device.

Reeses
10-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Welcome aboard. That's a good, thoughtful, post and I find myself in the same boat. I like my Sony, but do wish for color and improved contrast. I was actually holding off getting the new Sony model until the Nook rumor panned out. Now, my big doubts are the battery life and the shiny LCD. If the battery were user replaceable; then maybe.

Thank you!!! I have to say, battery life doesn't really scare me. Really, it all depends on everyone's usage I believe and charging a device when I get home once in a while is no biggie for me. Battery being user replaceable...something to think about. I can't do that with my Kobo right now and perhaps by the time the NC's battery would need to be replaced, another device will be available??? :D

Helio
10-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I also don't get the battery argument. My Nintendo DS, with it's dual LCD, outlasts my nook, while doing heavy animation the whole time...

Sure there isn't something wrong with your Nook battery?

Kypt
10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Sure there isn't something wrong with your Nook battery?

I have very similar experiences myself.

RockdaMan
10-29-2010, 02:25 PM
wireless off

Nook = 10 hours
Nook Color = 8 hours
Not much difference.

on a 10 hour flight or bus trip, it's all the difference in the world.

EricDP
10-29-2010, 02:32 PM

I guess on a 11 hour trip, neither will do...

tubemonkey
10-29-2010, 02:39 PM

On an 11 hour flight, Kindle wins. :D

Reeses
10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
On an 11 hour flight, Kindle wins. :D

Am I missing something? I wouldn't read for 11 hours straight... I'm sorry, I really don't get what the deal with the battery life is. I can understand, you read a chapter and the thing dies, but 8 hours, vs 10 hrs, vs 1 month...meh. It's called charging the thing before leaving, or a backup :)

AdrianM
10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Am I missing something? I wouldn't read for 11 hours straight... I'm sorry, I really don't get what the deal with the battery life is. I can understand, you read a chapter and the thing dies, but 8 hours, vs 10 hrs, vs 1 month...meh. It's called charging the thing before leaving, or a backup :)

You obviously read very little while travelling or don't travel very far...

tubemonkey
10-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I can understand, you read a chapter and the thing dies, but 8 hours, vs 10 hrs, vs 1 month...meh.

My thinking too.

luvmy4brats
10-29-2010, 04:54 PM
My thinking too.

Wait a second Tubemonkey.. Haven't you been VERY vocal about how the battery on the nook needed to last longer because the battery on the nook wasn't good enough? Yet now you're saying you don't see the need for a longer battery life?

Or is that a different TubeMonkey that I'm thinking about... :rolleyes:

eGeezer
10-29-2010, 07:51 PM

First of all, let me repeat the post that said:

nook = 10 days
NOOKcolor = 10 hours

Now, according to the 465 "how long does your nook battery last" threads, it would appear that 10 days is in the perfect world no one lives in. However, 4-5 days is no stretch.

I presume that the NOOKcolor 10 hours is also an enthusiastic estimate, and perhaps the 8, or even 6, hours is more realistic.

However, folks I know say I read a lot, but I agree that on a 10 hour plane ride, I would not spend the whole 10 hours reading. I'd probably read a chapter or two, then take a nap. Perhaps have a conversation with my wife. Perhaps fiddle with the music channels. Maybe stare out the window. Whatever, I would probably spend 5 hours at most actually reading.

Now, I gotta get to the airport 3 days early so TSA can run me thru their invasive and pointless inspections, so I have to allow an hour or two added on for reading in the airport, but even that time is split up with talking and maybe watching some news, or going out to find an over-priced slice of pizza.

Of course, if I get a NOOKcolor or a nook, it probably will never leave the house unless my Astak EZReader Pro gets sat on again.

On the other hand, if I have a NOOKcolor with me, I would probably chew up a lot of battery messing around looking at mail or the web, depending on how versatile those features, or apps, are.

So, from that view, it is possible the battery on a NOOKcolor wouldn't last for a 5 hour plane ride. Guess I'd better make sure an iPhone or Android phone are on that birthday list.

(nook or NOOKcolor will be on the Christmas list, since my phone contract isn't up for renewal until just after the birthday in March, lol)

Reeses
10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
First of all, let me repeat the post that said:

nook = 10 days
NOOKcolor = 10 hours

Now, according to the 465 "how long does your nook battery last" threads, it would appear that 10 days is in the perfect world no one lives in. However, 4-5 days is no stretch.

I presume that the NOOKcolor 10 hours is also an enthusiastic estimate, and perhaps the 8, or even 6, hours is more realistic.

However, folks I know say I read a lot, but I agree that on a 10 hour plane ride, I would not spend the whole 10 hours reading. I'd probably read a chapter or two, then take a nap. Perhaps have a conversation with my wife. Perhaps fiddle with the music channels. Maybe stare out the window. Whatever, I would probably spend 5 hours at most actually reading.

Now, I gotta get to the airport 3 days early so TSA can run me thru their invasive and pointless inspections, so I have to allow an hour or two added on for reading in the airport, but even that time is split up with talking and maybe watching some news, or going out to find an over-priced slice of pizza.

Of course, if I get a NOOKcolor or a nook, it probably will never leave the house unless my Astak EZReader Pro gets sat on again.

On the other hand, if I have a NOOKcolor with me, I would probably chew up a lot of battery messing around looking at mail or the web, depending on how versatile those features, or apps, are.

So, from that view, it is possible the battery on a NOOKcolor wouldn't last for a 5 hour plane ride. Guess I'd better make sure an iPhone or Android phone are on that birthday list.

(nook or NOOKcolor will be on the Christmas list, since my phone contract isn't up for renewal until just after the birthday in March, lol)

Woa everyone..on se calme. I'm just saying that in MY case, it's not necessary. No, I don't read a lot while traveling, whether or not I've been far. For MY needs, it would be fine, but if it's not for you guys, by all means. However, to me, battery life is not that big of a deal, unless it's really bad. There are other criteria that are more important to me. And yes, I like shiny pretty things...:o

tubemonkey
10-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Wait a second Tubemonkey.. Haven't you been VERY vocal about how the battery on the nook needed to last longer because the battery on the nook wasn't good enough? Yet now you're saying you don't see the need for a longer battery life?

Or is that a different TubeMonkey that I'm thinking about... :rolleyes:

I'm in the market for two devices (eInk reader & 7" tablet) and always have been.

I want an eInk reader with 20+ hours reading time for trips to a mountain cabin that has no power.

I want a 7" tablet to replace my netbook for general traveling. This device will never be taken to the cabin.

Reeses
10-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm in the market for two devices (eInk reader & 7" tablet) and always have been.

I want an eInk reader with 20+ hours reading time for trips to a mountain cabin that has no power.

I want a 7" tablet to replace my netbook for general traveling. This device will never be taken to the cabin.

In this case, battery life is a must :)

eGeezer
10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Woa everyone..on se calme. I'm just saying that in MY case, it's not necessary. No, I don't read a lot while traveling, whether or not I've been far. For MY needs, it would be fine, but if it's not for you guys, by all means. However, to me, battery life is not that big of a deal, unless it's really bad. There are other criteria that are more important to me. And yes, I like shiny pretty things...:o

Hmm. Thot I was agreeing with you.

Didn't realize I needed an anger management class.

Reeses
10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Hmm. Thot I was agreeing with you.

Didn't realize I needed an anger management class.

Oh....well, you didn't sound angry. My apologies then, but the comment wasn't directed at you :). It's all good then.

boswd
10-29-2010, 11:55 PM
You obviously read very little while travelling or don't travel very far...

because people don't bring their laptops while traveling and we all know what great battery life those get:rolleyes:

people know how to monitor, outlests are abound through out all of airport terminals for just this very reason.

You got a book you want to read, you fully charge and your good to go. just as you would if you needed to use your laptop while traveling.

No different and people who travel often knows how to charge , monitor and go.

aagstn
10-30-2010, 12:28 AM
My concern with the battery isn't the 8 hours or so. That is plenty and I can deal with daily charging. The fact it isn't user replaceable is a big issue to me. I really like that the nook battery is easily replaced if it stops charging down the road or if I want to charge and carry a spare. Kind of hoped B&N wouldn't go the iPod and kindle route with the sealed batteries.

AdrianM
10-30-2010, 02:36 AM
because people don't bring their laptops while traveling and we all know what great battery life those get:rolleyes:

people know how to monitor, outlests are abound through out all of airport terminals for just this very reason.

You got a book you want to read, you fully charge and your good to go. just as you would if you needed to use your laptop while traveling.

No different and people who travel often knows how to charge , monitor and go.

On the 16 hour trip I make quite regularly to Russia I can't think of ever seeing one recharging outlet. Not in any of the taxis, trains, airports or planes - all the places I'm likely to want to read in fact.

I never use my laptop when I'm travelling because I know I'll exhaust the battery. I use it when I arrive. If anything, I used to use my iPhone (or other smart phone I happened to have at the time) and even then I had to use it sparingly. Now, I just take my K3 and I just don't have to think of using it sparingly or having to find charging outlets as it lasts weeks on a single charge. No fuss or hassle and no "monitoring and charging".

We all know that the claimed battery charge of manufacturers is almost always best case - the old Nook in no way lasts the claimed amount and in my case at best it's 50% of that. If the NC only lasts 5 to 6 hours, well, there are lot of people that will be p!ssed that they have to "charge, monitor and go" that often.

But I'm sure that there will be many people that don't mind charging every 6 hours and will be very happy reading on reflective LCD screen on a crippled Android tablet. Good for them. Personally I won't be one of them; if I did want a tablet, I'd get a fully functional one like an iPad or one of the many others that are coming to market that can be used with every reading app and many other things besides. It is nice to see that B&N managed to get the bezel colour sorted out this time though - but what is it with that silly corner thing...

mcooke66
10-30-2010, 10:17 AM
It is nice to see that B&N managed to get the bezel colour sorted out this time though - but what is it with that silly corner thing...

I always find it interesting that many people seem to expect companies to build devices for their specific needs. Exactly what was wrong with the Nook bezel other than your personal preference. Kindle comes in 2 colors unless you get wifi only and then according to you they got it right by not offering white.:rolleyes:

As far as the loop at the bottom. This is clearly something dreamed up by young, hip, overpaid marketing folks and sold to old, unhip executives as a good idea. There is marketing research to back up this kind of thing but in the final analysis it is just silly.

boswd
10-30-2010, 10:22 AM
On the 16 hour trip I make quite regularly to Russia I can't think of ever seeing one recharging outlet. Not in any of the taxis, trains, airports or planes - all the places I'm likely to want to read in fact.

I never use my laptop when I'm travelling because I know I'll exhaust the battery. I use it when I arrive. If anything, I used to use my iPhone (or other smart phone I happened to have at the time) and even then I had to use it sparingly. Now, I just take my K3 and I just don't have to think of using it sparingly or having to find charging outlets as it lasts weeks on a single charge. No fuss or hassle and no "monitoring and charging".

We all know that the claimed battery charge of manufacturers is almost always best case - the old Nook in no way lasts the claimed amount and in my case at best it's 50% of that. If the NC only lasts 5 to 6 hours, well, there are lot of people that will be p!ssed that they have to "charge, monitor and go" that often.

But I'm sure that there will be many people that don't mind charging every 6 hours and will be very happy reading on reflective LCD screen on a crippled Android tablet. Good for them. Personally I won't be one of them; if I did want a tablet, I'd get a fully functional one like an iPad or one of the many others that are coming to market that can be used with every reading app and many other things besides. It is nice to see that B&N managed to get the bezel colour sorted out this time though - but what is it with that silly corner thing...

I do not believe for one minute that you have never seen any outlets in any airport terminals or on Trains. I call BIG TIME BS ON THAT.

Taxi Cabs? Now you just reaching just to purposely be difficult. So I guess I 'll never take a taxi and my Droid with me or my laptop and only bring my World Peace saving all Great Kindle.

Wow dude, what is your deal with Barnes and Noble, did they like fire you or something?

Ohhh get the iPad but then contradict your rant about battery life.. Unbeleivable.

seriously your animosty towards Barnes and Noble is just bizzare

Reeses
10-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think of it as a tablet though...Just a color ereader. So, unless it's an Ipad, there's no place on the market for anything that may be similar or...? I really want color and haven't heard many good things on the other color readers out there.

The hook thing there, is funny indeed, but then it got me thinking. I can attach something on there and put it on my wrist. Yeah, I know, weird, but that would be a good thing for me as I use public transportation...I had someone almost knock my reader out of my hands last week, and it was sheer luck I caught it in time. He didn't even apologize...you can secure it on a clasp in your purse or schoolbag...deter people from just grabbing the thing if your bag is not closed properly (unless it's in a case). I'm just saying, I can find some use for that loop.

I understand that the battery cannot be replaced, but how long will it be until you need to change it? Perhaps by that time, we can have Mirasol ...:)
Just trying to be positive :)

Rebo
10-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I think the battery can be a concern to some who travel especially when the battery is not user replaceable. I don't mind charging it everyday but I am hoping that it can last for a simple trip, which is 5 hour reading during the flight and 2 hour WiFI surfing during the wait in the airport.

Based on the specification of the battery rating of 8 hours reading with WiFi off, I think I need to either tether the Nook Color with an outlet or carrying an external battery when I am on a trip. If the 8 hours is rated based on best case assumption with low LCD intensity and a full discharge, then the unit will need recharging a lot more often. I think this is the problem of all LCD tablets except iPad has somewhat migitated it to a certain extent. The iPad battery can last up to 10 hours video play back with WiFi on but its size is a deal breaker for me. The Galaxy Tab WiFi version is $250 more expensive, offers more functionality but probably has the the same battery life. I loved my Classic Nook but in this go around, since I really want a multi-function color tablet NOW, it seems there is little choice for me but accept the less than stellar performance that goes with all LCD tablets.

AdrianM
10-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I do not believe for one minute that you have never seen any outlets in any airport terminals or on Trains. I call BIG TIME BS ON THAT.

Taxi Cabs? Now you just reaching just to purposely be difficult. So I guess I 'll never take a taxi and my Droid with me or my laptop and only bring my World Peace saving all Great Kindle.

Wow dude, what is your deal with Barnes and Noble, did they like fire you or something?

Ohhh get the iPad but then contradict your rant about battery life.. Unbeleivable.

seriously your animosty towards Barnes and Noble is just bizzare

Of course I've seen a few recharging outlets in airports. Not in any that I use to get to and around Russia though.

The whole point of my spiel was that, yeah, it's possible to get by but it's a pain. How big a pain is relative and dependant but it's a pain that just doesn't exist with other eReaders.

I've no gripe with B&N. I think they make crap eReaders though. But I did buy one so I know from first hand experience, unlike you who continually places the Nook above all else no matter what. And dude, it's your animosity towards the Kindle that is really funny. :D

boswd
10-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Of course I've seen a few recharging outlets in airports. Not in any that I use to get to and around Russia though.

The whole point of my spiel was that, yeah, it's possible to get by but it's a pain. How big a pain is relative and dependant but it's a pain that just doesn't exist with other eReaders.

I've no gripe with B&N. I think they make crap eReaders though. But I did buy one so I know from first hand experience, unlike you who continually places the Nook above all else no matter what. And dude, it's your animosity towards the Kindle that is really funny. :D

I have no animosity for the kindle, its just you Kindlebots who act like thing was handed down from God himself. I do truely believe out of the three big names Sony, Nook and Kindle the Kindle is THE most archiac. Outdated navigation with only the Ooooohh soooo awesome Pearl screen it has going for it. you have locked in Bookstore, 1980's style of navigation.

The only reason it sells so much is because Amazon has a top notch marketing department. They marketed above and beyond of what BN and Sony did. So yeah you go and buy a product because they run cool commericials. whatever.

In fact I would buy a wi fi Kobo over the Kindle, at least with that I check out books from the library without having to do anything illegal.

Traecer Prime
10-31-2010, 12:01 AM
Many people suffer from the "headaches" and "eyestrain" from reading on lcd screens.....the fact that you don't is great for you, but you can't really deny that it does indeed exist for others.

+1

Never got headaches or eyestrain until the last year or so. And having recently bought a Sony Reader, I definitely feel a difference.

aagstn
10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
In fact I would buy a wi fi Kobo over the Kindle, at least with that I check out books from the library without having to do anything illegal.

I would buy almost any other device on the market over the kindle. No ePub support is just unthinkable. Mobipocket was fine in 2000, but that ship has sailed and I also refuse to be locked into one store for DRM content. Also, stripping DRM and converting every book I buy to an inferior format is not an option I will even consider.

I think the Kindle 3 is a fine device and the Pearl screen is a minor improvement in eink, but unless they open it up I have zero interest.

Steven Lyle Jordan
10-31-2010, 10:35 AM
I understand that the battery cannot be replaced...

:eek: Another non-user-rerplaceable battery!?! :smack: Oh, come on! I'm sorry, but there is no reason for any portable consumer electronic device to have a non-user-replaceable battery. And unless I can get it serviced at every local Starbucks (which I figure are more likely to survive, long term, than B&N), I want nothing to do with that. (Walks away, shaking head in amazement...)

pilotbob
10-31-2010, 11:46 AM
I would buy almost any other device on the market over the kindle. No ePub support is just unthinkable.

That how I feel too. I don't think about it, as I happily read ebooks on my kindle.

BOb

Rebo
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM
:eek: Another non-user-rerplaceable battery!?! :smack: Oh, come on! I'm sorry, but there is no reason for any portable consumer electronic device to have a non-user-replaceable battery. And unless I can get it serviced at every local Starbucks (which I figure are more likely to survive, long term, than B&N), I want nothing to do with that. (Walks away, shaking head in amazement...)

I am curious what is the design philosophy of manufacturers such as Amazon, Apple and now B/N to adopt non-user replaceable battery. Is this to enable a cheaper or lighter design or they are betting on the user to just toss the gadget out when the battery dies? It should be noted that gadgets are being obsolete at an alarming rate. The darling gadget last year becomes a dinosaur today.

When this question of non-user replacement battery came up on the kindle and iPad, based on the advice of some expert members and the teardown of the 2 devices, the user can still unscrew the back cover, remove the battery and replace it. Compared to a back cover that is designed to be removable, a screwed down back cover is not as user friendly or convenient.

I don't think the local Starbucks can help anyone service any device. Starbucks had a rough year too and they have been closing excessive stores. All Brick and Mortar stores such as B&N, Borders and Best Buy are doing very poorly due to internet competition. B&N and Borders stores are closing and will all close since people llike having a good time just hanging out there like a library, preview books at leisure for free and then order it from the internet. B&N, Borders and all physical local bookstores will cease to exist in their present form someday; if their ebook model is successful, they'll just morph into another internet company. Yes, we might still have Starbucks or Pinkberry to hangout and enjoy our ebooks from our e-device ordered online from e-companies Amazon, buy.com and B&N.

WT Sharpe
10-31-2010, 04:03 PM
That how I feel too. I don't think about it, as I happily read ebooks on my kindle.

BOb

:rofl:

I sold my Nook with the up-to-date OS about a month ago (for $50--I would have felt guilty taking more for a Nook in like-new condition) because it was useless to me for a number of reasons I've explained in detail in other posts. The Sony-600 I've kept because it does PDF documents better than the Kindle (which was also the only area in which the regular Nook exceeds the Kindle). But the Kindles are my main readers. I can't speak of the new Sonys that just came out, but IMO the Kindles are far superior to the older generation. The Nook isn't even in the running.

That said, if I find this new NOOKcolor device handles and edits Word documents in an acceptable manner, I may consider buying one. I could use a good inexpensive device for writing.

RockdaMan
10-31-2010, 09:41 PM
I would buy almost any other device on the market over the kindle. No ePub support is just unthinkable.

There are almost no books available in ePub that aren't also available in the Kindles native format.

Traecer Prime
11-01-2010, 02:09 AM
I am curious what is the design philosophy of manufacturers such as Amazon, Apple and now B/N to adopt non-user replaceable battery. Is this to enable a cheaper or lighter design or they are betting on the user to just toss the gadget out when the battery dies? It should be noted that gadgets are being obsolete at an alarming rate. The darling gadget last year becomes a dinosaur today.

In general, it's a cost issue, and often also a design issue. It's almost always cheaper to put in a non-removable battery, as you don't have to worry about the engineering issues associated with the battery cradle/contacts (hard-wiring it in is easier and thus cheaper). Sometimes it's also a design issue, as not only can a non-removable setup be less bulky, but it eliminates the need for battery doors and such (plus again, it's easier and cheaper to mold a single solid piece of metal or plastic than to mold 2 pieces and make sure they fit together properly and can withstand the strain of repeated (un)latchings). Every bit of bulk that can be removed from a device is extra space for something else (MicroSD card slot, headphone jack) or a bit of weight saved.

Mind you, I really don't like the idea of non-removable batteries. And I've heard the costs saved usually don't amount to much per device ($1/device?). But if you're making 1 million devices, and manage to save $1/device...that adds up. I do think many manufacturers use the design or cost aspect to justify non-removable batteries, but in some situations it does make sense outside of "planned obsolescence."

Latinandgreek
11-01-2010, 06:31 AM
There are almost no books available in ePub that aren't also available in the Kindles native format.

I don't quite agree with you. There are probably almost no American books available in epub that aren't available for the kindle, but I've noticed that Canadian content (and other foreign content, I'm sure) are sometimes not available for the Kindle but are available on other sites, such as the Kobo site.

Reeses
11-01-2010, 09:48 AM

It was an actual question...This is something I never really thought about as it wouldn't be the only device I own with a non-replaceable battery...

WT Sharpe
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
It was an actual question...This is something I never really thought about as it wouldn't be the only device I own with a non-replaceable battery...

It's actually rather easy to replace the battery on a K2, and there are third parties who sell the replacement batteries. There's a video on YouTube on how to do it. I've posted the link to MR in the past (not the first person to have done so), but can't remember to which thread.

I don't know if the K3 battery can be replaced so easily. I suspect it can't, as I see no way to get into the device, and I don't want to experiment and possible ruin it.

Battery life is so long these days, and reader prices becoming so affordable, that I would let that stop me from purchasing a reader if that was my only consideration.

DuncanWatson
11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Unless Amazon is in another fight with a publisher and wants to administer a "lesson".

I am tired of Amazon engaging in customer unfriendly actions and their proprietary approach to content formats is just part of the package. When I bought my nook I went from buying nearly 90% of my pbooks from Amazon to 90% from B&N's ebook storefront.

The whispernet incidents are another reason why I won't be ever looking at a kindle. Both the nook and the color nook will be fine hacked and separated from the mother-ship B&N if it comes to that. The kindle is highly dependent on Amazon's infrastructure. If I were buying Amazon books I would have to be proactively stripping drm from each purchase to protect myself in case of issues with Amazon. It is too much work but I am not going to lose access to my books, so I choose instead to go to more open, more exciting platforms such as the nook and nook color.

supermighty
11-01-2010, 11:01 AM
In general, it's a cost issue, and often also a design issue. It's almost always cheaper to put in a non-removable battery, as you don't have to worry about the engineering issues associated with the battery cradle/contacts (hard-wiring it in is easier and thus cheaper). ...

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple, more so than the rest, see their devices in a holistic user experience way. Having non-removable batteries makes it emotionally simpler for people to grasp. They don't have to think about the battery. It just is.

Also I think they will sell more devices when the battery dies. :cool:

Rebo
11-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Based on some pictures of the iPad and Kindle tear down, it seems the battery can be removed and replaced. Assuming manufacturers are buying off the shelf batteries for cost savings, the standard interface will be via metal contact, instead of using wire soldering. If this is the case, the user should be able to replace these batteries once they remove the back cover. Technically speaking, unless the plastic back cover is permanently sonic welded or glued in, it could be removed. The most common design to secure the cover is either screwed in or clipped in via a couple of anchor points. A percentage of the units will be returned and the manufacturers will want to replace the defective components so as to resell them as refurnished units. In order to do that, they will need access to the internal components so permanently securing the back cover is unlikely. Therefore, non-user replacement battery doesnít mean that it cannot be replaced, but it is just not convenient and you canít do it on the fly without any tools.

joey301
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
That 8 hour battery life is with the wireless off. Once you turn the wireless on and/or decide to listen to Pandora, that battery is going to take a serious hit. If you plan on reading for awhile, you better stay close to an outlet or bring an extension cord. There's no user replaceable battery, so when it dies, you're out of luck.

hmm, this is what I was wondering about..no replaceable battery. This was one of the top selling features for the original Nook.

bthoven
11-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Archos 70 would be better at around same price range, IMO.

DuncanWatson
11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Archos 70 would be better at around same price range, IMO.
The Archos 70 screen is inferior and it costs more than the nook. The screen is the big feature here and the Color Nook is roughly 25% higher resolution (169 pixels per inch (nook) vs 132 pixels per inch (archos))

It too is very interesting but I believe the ereader apps will be much better on the color nook. Having a major app focus with a proven history is an excellent hook vs a general list of good but overall unimpressive features. The reader is still a major hook for me and I don't believe the generic andriod app version will compete in the near term with the color nook version.

GreenMonkey
11-10-2010, 01:03 AM
The Archos 70 screen is inferior and it costs more than the nook. The screen is the big feature here and the Color Nook is roughly 25% higher resolution (169 pixels per inch (nook) vs 132 pixels per inch (archos))

It too is very interesting but I believe the ereader apps will be much better on the color nook. Having a major app focus with a proven history is an excellent hook vs a general list of good but overall unimpressive features. The reader is still a major hook for me and I don't believe the generic andriod app version will compete in the near term with the color nook version.

Also, Archos, while a good company in the past, hasn't been so great about producing good products lately. As well as a fiasco recently where they charged existing owners for an update that provided extra video codec support. I'm not too confident about purchasing an Archos product these days.

boswd
11-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Also, Archos, while a good company in the past, hasn't been so great about producing good products lately. As well as a fiasco recently where they charged existing owners for an update that provided extra video codec support. I'm not too confident about purchasing an Archos product these days.

I hear ya, Archos back in the day was a great hidden jewel in the MP3 department for audiophiles. Seems things are slipping a bit there.

speedygonz
11-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Archos 70 would probably be more suited for general purpose tablet usage with HDMI out, USB host so you can stick in a flash drive or keyboard/mouse, Bluetooth for A2DP audio and GPS mouse, etc. On the other hand, NOOKcolor would appeal more towards hardcore readers who wish to have just a few more features, i.e. decent web browsing, Pandora, etc.

eAnagnostis
11-16-2010, 11:05 AM
First hands-on reviews out at Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/nook-color-review/) (the most comprehensive IMO), Cnet (ttp://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/barnes-noble-nook-color/4505-3508_7-34204884.html?tag=mncol;txt), Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5690672/barnes--noble-nook-color-review-a-screen-caught-between-two-worlds), Crunch Gear (http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/16/review-barnes-noble-nookcolor)

Nothing really new. Everything seems to work fine, with very few problems. That's good news considering Nook the e-reader at lauch date. RAM is at 512MB and pinch-to-zoom is only for home-screens and magazines, not the browser or e-books.

DuncanWatson
11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Pinch zooming also works in PDF and the PDF support is apparently much better than it has been in the past.

soondai
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
they may have a sale if it can handle scanned PDFs in the 10MB range. (wish the Engadget review had been a little more specific.)

look forward to trying one in store

boswd
11-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Pinch zooming also works in PDF and the PDF support is apparently much better than it has been in the past.

yeah I noticed how both Cnet and Engadget highly touted the nook color's ability to dispaly PDF's

ypocaramel
11-17-2010, 03:14 AM
hmm... well I get the impression that there's enough horsepower under the hood (A8+512MB), software implementation would be the deciding factor (and whether you get satisfactory PDF battery life). I'm glad about the 512MB of ram, one of the main reasons why I'm holding off on the iPad is waiting for more RAM to handle 4.2 and any future expansions of multi-tasking abilities (more background tasks maybe).

I do hope for more detailed reviews soon. I wonder what kind of PDF viewing options we'll get.

Engadget complains about the software's responsiveness, but it didn't make them hate the device, which makes me think it's not really that bad. From the video they posted (which showed a lot of device functionality, much appreciated) it doesn't look so bad, some rough edges that shouldn't be there, that's all.

WT Sharpe
11-21-2010, 08:12 AM
It would be nice if you could edit MS word docs or even text documents, but apparently all you can do is view the files on the device.

ypocaramel
11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Well they already use a modified Quickoffice for viewing, so I wouldn't be surprised if we'll get to buy the full version with editing when the app store opens. It would be nice if it was free, but Quickoffice is a commercial product and B&N really has no incentive to subsidize the full version, given the their focusing on selling books, magazines and all that.