Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
2nd Gen Kindle DX PDF question.

How well does the DX handle PDFs?

I'm not worried about search, dictionary, etc.

My concern is that I have a lot of books that are scanned PDF. Large files in the 10-20MB range.

My little Sony does a surprisingly good job with regular PDFs, but cannot handle the scanned files that are basically images.

I'd like to know if the 2nd gen DX (which is available refurbed) can load and page thru these files at a reasonable clip.

thanks for your help.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPBCD0GgBw

^^ DX-US edition(the first edition)

but there is no difference (firmware wise) between the DX-US, DX-Int'l and DX-Graphite. Same PDF rendering, while the Kindle-3 has much better PDF(and WebKit browser) support... just waiting if/when amazon releases updated frmware for the DXs

PDF support is okay, but dont really count too much on it(Table of contents isnt implemented, some PDFs just crash it...)

I have PDFs from my professor;s lectures on... not too bad though

(i have a graphite DX)

Last edited by paperwastage; 10-22-2010 at 11:14 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I have a textbook on my DXG thats 90MB and has over 1000 pages in just images. I've also converted loads of manga into pdfs with calibre and they work fine too. I haven't had any problems. ToC and tags are another story though...
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It usually works fine for viewing full page documents. I have read many textbooks in PDF format. 8.5 boos can sometimes have text that gets a little small, I advise you crop margins to remove header/footers of those books to make text larger (kindle scales the document and removes white margins, doing this gives you more reading space). Reading smaller books - such as the "for dummies" books that are 7 by 4 or whatever work great.

Few issues:
If the document is really tall (not standard 8.5x11) it may not show the bottom of the page or crop it. Some minor fiddling in acrobat (or other pdf editing software) can fix this using crops, or you can go to view document actual size and pan, but that is usually a hassle.
If you view the document in landscape mode, characters will be cut off half way though a sentence/line.

When I deal with scanned books (if they are 300+ dpi scanned images) your best option if you have acrobat pro is to do as follows (If you don't have high-res scans, don't use clearscan, it will fail or look bad):

OCR text recognition -> Recognize text with OCR
Go with ClearScan, 300 dpi (will make moderate sized file) 300 page book -> 20mb with moderate images.
Basically clear scan works by replacing text in the image with a custom font, that looks great. It leaves a low rez image behind (300 dpi that you chose in this case) when there are problems with the ocr and it can't match 1:1 to the clearscan font.

So if you have an image with text+images, you will get a new page with text + broken up images. The text is searchable. Images that are converted to text successfully are deleted reducing the file size.

Last edited by curstpriest; 10-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote