Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Fixing Smart Quotes in .mobi

I have been converting my collected text documents to mobi for my forthcoming K3. I just read here about the Kindle Previewer software and used it to check some of my new mobi files. I see my smart quotes and curved apostrophes are showing up as question marks. Is there a way to fix this other than to covert everything back to .txt and search-replace the offending characters?
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
I have been converting my collected text documents to mobi for my forthcoming K3. I just read here about the Kindle Previewer software and used it to check some of my new mobi files. I see my smart quotes and curved apostrophes are showing up as question marks. Is there a way to fix this other than to covert everything back to .txt and search-replace the offending characters?
Are they showing up correctly on the Kindle itself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've seen lots of .mobi books with smart quotes. It may be an encoding conversion issue. Make sure when converting, that you have the encoding from and to set appropriately.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
niceboy
Enthusiast

Still don't have the Kindle! Wife ordered it to her parents place. Still have not driven down to get it.

Yeah, I had been removing smart quotes from stuff I was converting to ePub for Stanza but I found in a random check using Kindle Previewer of some text I converted to mobi files I am making the question mark in place of smart quotes in some texts.

I never have understood all the English encodings and which to choose.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I would try a mobi to mobi conversion in Calibre and see if that fixes it before ripping the files apart. Mobipocket Reader (for the desktop) has been very reliable in showing bad formatting -- if it's bad in Mobi Reader, it will probably be bad on the Kindle, too.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
pen_sq
Enthusiast
pen_sq began at the beginning.

Device: none
(Thought I had an answer. Read question again, realized I don't. Deleted.)

Last edited by pen_sq; 10-22-2010 at 02:53 AM.
pen_sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
niceboy
Enthusiast

Thank you.