Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Is this safe?

I've lost my Kindle charger so I've started using my cell phone charger (which also uses a MicroUSB). The only problem is that the cell phone charger puts out a maximum of 180 mA at 5.0 VDC. I have a Kindle 3 and it will try to draw a maximum of 850 mA at 5.0 VDC when charging. Right now my Kindle is on the web (I'm writing this on my K3), it has the lighted leather cover with the light on, it is indexing some of its books, and it's playing music in the background. It's battery is also at 2% charge. Is it safe to have my Kindle being charged by a 180 mA charger while it's drawing so much power?
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, this is a very bad idea. You need to use a charger that can supply the charging current that the Kindle requires.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Heh most answers to such questions like: Is it save? Is it legal? etc. are best answered with "When you don't know, it probably isn't" or at least shouldn't be asked after you tried it.

It won't damage your kindle (probably) but it'll overheat the charger or at least irreparably damage it.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Actually, I periodically check the charger and the transformer is still quite cool. I think Kindle has the ability to draw more or less current from a source depending on its response.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
You need to have a charger that will supply the specified rating for your device. You actually can cause issue with your reader such as data corruption issues among other things. There is a wide range of anomalies that can occur. In addition it would not be safe if the charger overheats, which obviously is a fire hazard, expecially if nobody is around while the charger is overheating. If it is not a financial issue please do yourself a favor and pick up a new charger from your favorite store. I know that BB and Staples have the official Kindle charger for $19.99 among other stores.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Then how come Kindle supports trickle-charging? I've felt the charger many times and it's still just moderately warm even after 3 hours of constant use.

As for the data corruption, Kindle shuts itself down before the voltage drops low enough to destabilize the CPU. That's why devices with empty batteries simply loose power immediately instead of getting more and more glitchy until massive data corruption occurs and the battery severely damages itself.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Then how come Kindle supports trickle-charging? I've felt the charger many times and it's still just moderately warm even after 3 hours of constant use.

As for the data corruption, Kindle shuts itself down before the voltage drops low enough to destabilize the CPU. That's why devices with empty batteries simply loose power immediately instead of getting more and more glitchy until massive data corruption occurs and the battery severely damages itself.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Electrically, ampage wise it may well be safe, BUT as you've been told several times, there are issues, not just how hot the charger gets !

Why then do you sneer at replies, and insist on defending your phone charger ? , use it if you want, but you asked advice and you were given a good response, You appear to want to ignore the given advice, do so at your own peril,

after all official chargers are not very expensive !

Whatever happens I hope you enjoy your K3 for a very long time,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I'm not sure why you keep investigating all these weird corner case situations for your Kindle. Go find a proper charger for it and start reading eBooks instead.

Assuming that the charger is correctly made, that the charger type voltage signalling on the data lines is correct, that the Kindle supports only drawing 180mA at maximum and that you're okay with the charge taking significantly longer then yes, it'll work fine. That is way too many assumptions however and Amazon are never going to support what you're doing.

In short, proceed at your own risk. Nobody is going to be able to tell you whether it is safe or not. You're using the charger and the Kindle in an unsupported configuration and both may fail due to this in the future. Just because it works now is no guarantee for the future.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
The kindle complies to the USB standard which means it can deal with current as low as 100 mA. Any standard microusb charger should be fine. There's no need to get an official charger
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I have 4-5 standard usb plug chargers that output 5v at 500ma =X
My gps came with one, 2 cellphones, a camera, and some other junk electronics
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I've dabbled in electronics and as a previous poster suggested, USB devices will work down to 100 mA, but what I wonder is whether it is worth the time it would take to charge a device at that rate? I would just plug it into the computer and charge it off of that, at least that will get you up to 500 mA if all is well. That should charge at least twice as fast as 180 mA will.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
This guy will brick his kindle soon enough i fear T_T
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
The standard (according to what is sold on ebay as being compatible) seems to be 5V 1000mA
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
BTW, where's the FREE one you get when you bought the Kindle?

Oh, sorry, just reread it - you lost it ...

Lots of times you can get a very cheap copy recharger (I bought one for my Sony ereader) at an electronics store, but I did make sure it had the same specs.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, safety