Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Extended Warranty Options

I purchased a Kindle 3 from a office supply store, and declined their extended warranty coverage. My question is can someone purchase from local store, and then purchase an extended warranty directly from Amazon?
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
stugots344
stugots344 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I purchased a two year warranty from SquareTrade.com for $22 and that included accidental drop insurance. I used a coupon code for 30% off that day. If you look around they usually have a 20% floating around.
stugots344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
stugots344,

Are you implying that I can purchase a extended warranty from Squaretrade although I purchased the Kindle from a Brick and Morter store? I thought that Squaretrade was for Ebay purchases. I know that Amazon sell a extended warranty on their site, but it does not appear to be flexible. It is a two year warranty that overlap wit the current one year warranty, so I'm only getting one additonal year which seem pretty expensive. I'll have to check into Squaretrade and thanks for the information
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Extended warranties are insurance policies. They are sold to make money for the insurer, so your chances of them being cost effective are rather slim unless you tend to destroy your stuff. If you do, be sure to RTFP (read the find print) and make sure the coverage doesn't exclude the things you tend to do to destroy your toys. In a year, when the original warranty runs out, as cheap as the K3 is, it will probably be obsolete and you'll want a K4/5 by then.

But, different strokes ....
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Rip off policy.

It's just like when you buy electronics at any store and they try to sell you the replacement plan that costs 50% of the product.

I mean.. by the time you need the plan there will be a new model out that you would be better off just buying anyways, even if your thing wasn't broken.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeedoug View Post
stugots344,

Are you implying that I can purchase a extended warranty from Squaretrade although I purchased the Kindle from a Brick and Morter store? I thought that Squaretrade was for Ebay purchases. I know that Amazon sell a extended warranty on their site, but it does not appear to be flexible. It is a two year warranty that overlap wit the current one year warranty, so I'm only getting one additonal year which seem pretty expensive. I'll have to check into Squaretrade and thanks for the information
sure - just go to squaretrade.com and purchase one, where it says Purchased At type in Best Buy. There is a current code "Autumn" out there for 20% off and if you Google around you can usually find one for 30%. I'd recommend you scan your receipt now and email it to them, and then maybe keep a copy of that scan on your computer and on the Kindle.

Whether or not you will want to for a $140 item is up to you. I didn't on my K3 because the prices have come down so much I'm comfortable just taking the risk and besides my credit card already doubles the standard warranty.

I just bought a Square Trade Warranty for a Dell Laptop the other day though because there is a fairly likely chance somebody in the family will drop the thing, spill a drink over the keyboard or sit on it - given our history.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I just bought a Square Trade Warranty for a Dell Laptop the other day though because there is a fairly likely chance somebody in the family will drop the thing, spill a drink over the keyboard or sit on it - given our history.
that and backlight assemblies on notebook lcds are notorious for falling apart/detaching/falling victim to random violence, if not the lcd screens themselves.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Also check with your credit card company. Mine (AmEx and Citibank MasterCard) both automatically extend a product's warranty for one year when using their card to purchase the product, and give 90 days accidental damage and theft coverage. No charge, no deductible. Call card company to see the details (some pay out only after primary household theft coverage, some do not include theft from a car, etc.). Otherwise, as Consumer Reports recommends, don't buy extended warranty coverage.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote