View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Tab

mgmueller
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
What can I say?
Wow!
iPad really got competition.
Apps that have been crashing on Dell Streak are working fine, probably due to 2.2 instead of 2.1.
The display is extremely crisp, the touchscreen as responsive as on iPad.
7" are great. Dell Streak is a bit small for my needs, iPad is extremely bulky. 7" perfectly closes the gap.
I've had bad experiences with Samsung (UMPC), but this may change now...

Dopedangel
10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
What can I say?
Wow!
Apps that have been crashing on Dell Streak are working fine, probably due to 2.2 instead of 2.1.
The display is extremely crisp, the touchscreen equally as responsive as on iPad.
7" are great. Dell Streak is a bit small for my needs, iPad is extremely bulky. 7" perfectly closes the gap.

I wish they had brought a wifi only version.
I have a question does it work without a sim card.

mgmueller
10-20-2010, 03:55 AM

Yes. It's working without SIM card. So does Dell Streak.

btw: "Wifi only" probably would mean "without GPS". And this I really wouldn't want to miss.

RoboRay
10-20-2010, 04:52 PM
You don't need phone capability to have a GPS receiver.

mgmueller
10-20-2010, 08:59 PM
You don't need phone capability to have a GPS receiver.

Theoretically that's true. But by far most (all?) manufacturers bundle those 2 functions.
Probably kind of makes sense. Without Googlemaps, POIs and the likes GPS for most users wouldn't be of much use.
Is there any tablet-like gadget with GPS but without 3G? (Of course there are "real" GPS navigation systems. but who actually would want to read on those or watch movies?).

SameerH
10-21-2010, 01:23 AM
We had some prototypes of the tab at the Kobo offices. Amazing device, I will surely buy one as soon as they hit Canada. It felt perfect to use. Having an android phone, it was a pretty easy transition to using the tab. Very pumped for it.

wodin
10-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Most phones use Assisted GPS or AGPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS) to enhance the satellite signals and improve the startup time for the GPS system. Without the cellular signal to triangulate on known cellular towers the "Autonomous" GPS operation can suffer in locations with poor satellite reception such as in urban canyons and heavily forested areas.

Bottom line, GPS will work, but AGPS works better; so if you are buying a tablet with GPS services as a priority, better get a cellular service too.

Dopedangel
10-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Most phones use Assisted GPS or AGPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS) to enhance the satellite signals and improve the startup time for the GPS system. Without the cellular signal to triangulate on known cellular towers the "Autonomous" GPS operation can suffer in locations with poor satellite reception such as in urban canyons and heavily forested areas.

Bottom line, GPS will work, but AGPS works better; so if you are buying a tablet with GPS services as a priority, better get a cellular service too.

I own a samsung galaxy s and can tell you its gps sucks agps or not so
if you want good gps don't trust samsung

bill_mchale
10-22-2010, 01:42 AM

I bet the reason they didn't bring out a wifi version (yet) is because Google right now requires a 3G connection for an Android Device to have access to their App store. I believe that that restriction will be lifted with Android 3.0 at which point the flood gates might really open.

That being said, by then the iPad will be rather well established and HP might be bringing WebOS tablets to market.

--
Bill

mgmueller
10-22-2010, 06:36 AM
I own a samsung galaxy s and can tell you its gps sucks agps or not so
if you want good gps don't trust samsung

So far (after 1 week) I don't see any differences in quality re. GPS between iPhone4, iPad, Dell Streak or Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Given the size, I wouldn't take iPad as my "travel companion". Probably Galaxy Tab neither as well.
Dell Streak is compact enough and iPhone4 fits perfectly in every pocket of course.

mgmueller
10-22-2010, 06:48 AM
I bet the reason they didn't bring out a wifi version (yet) is because Google right now requires a 3G connection for an Android Device to have access to their App store. I believe that that restriction will be lifted with Android 3.0 at which point the flood gates might really open.

That being said, by then the iPad will be rather well established and HP might be bringing WebOS tablets to market.

--
Bill

With the exception of "Apple fanboys" (or fanboys of any other brand) I don't think there's anything like "well established" nowadays.
Yes, iPad will have its market share. But as soon as each user wants to replace his 1G unit, the game starts again. There won't be much "brand loyalty".
I've loved my iPad from End of May to about end of July.
Then I've got my iPhone4 and didn't touch my iPad since then.
About 4 weeks ago I've got my Dell Streak and didn't touch iPhone4 since then.
On Monday this week I've got my Samsung Galaxy Tab and didn't touch any other since then.

If I compare those 4, it's really easy:
- Dell Streak is great. But Android 1.6 is no fun at all. Flashing 2.1 from O2 UK did help. But if I compare to 2.2 on Samsung Galaxy, 2.1 is far behind. Given that handicap, Dell Streak can't shine as much as would be possible if I look at its featureset.
- iPhone4 is the very first iPhone I like. It's still far from being a business phone (no profiles, for example), but a great gadget.
- iPad is great. But it's a bit too heavy and bulky for my taste. And it already took too much time for the new firmware. Where's my $&/(# multitasking?
- Samsung Galaxy Tab. It's a bit less stylish than iPad (but still nice enough). And Android still needs some kind of "polishing". But it's great. "Perfect" form factor, speedy and responsive.

What I don't like about all of them:
Yes, there are tons of apps. For Android and even more so for IOS.
But it's mainly of lower quality. Prices of $5 for your average download should say enough.
There are highly professional apps like "Navigon" for example.
But for every "professional" app I find at least 10 "inacceptable" ones.
I'd rather pay 3 to 5 times the price for quality, than always aiming for the "below $ 10" price point...
I miss the "big names" - for professional tools, but for games as well...

SensualPoet
10-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I was far more impressed with the Galaxy Tab than I expected to be, esp. on the issue of screen real estate. It feels "enough" and has the advantage of being quite portable; the iPad, as example, tips over into the "clipboard" size; the Galaxy Tab is still "trade paperback". It's also lighter than I expected and, of course, though the screen is not Super Amoled, it is outstanding.

Really, the biggest challenge is pricing. In the US it's $600 with a wireless plan; no firm word on how low that goes on a 2 yr contract. It undercuts the iPad pricing by 20% at most, and you don't get the iPhone/iPtouch/iPad ecosystem. On the other hand, it's the first to mass global market and Samsung et al are far more likely to lower prices sooner than Apple ... so that 20% gap will widen quickly.

I found the Dell Streak 5" model too small for my taste.

murraypaul
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes, iPad will have its market share. But as soon as each user wants to replace his 1G unit, the game starts again. There won't be much "brand loyalty".

Don't agree with that.
Once you got your favourite set of apps you are used to working with (whether they are iOS or Android or whatever), it is a barrier to changing to a different platform.

mgmueller
10-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't agree with that.
Once you got your favourite set of apps you are used to working with (whether they are iOS or Android or whatever), it is a barrier to changing to a different platform.

There are lots of different interests, I guess.
If I look at my friends and colleagues, there mainly seem to be 2 consumer groups:
Group 1: Seems to be surprisingly big. The users who buy no or only few apps, books, movies, music, ...
I'm exactly the opposite. I spend maybe 5 to 10 times for "follow-up" items, as I spend for the gadgets themselves.
But I see an awful lot of consumers, having only few apps. And those few they didn't even buy. (Hello, Cydia).
Group 2: I'm one of those. To me, iPad and the likes are mere gadgets. Nothing else than toys, far from "serious or professional tools". I love the "new" aspect. I've bought lots of books more than once, to have them on all platforms. I've got my favorite navigational app on 3 platforms, for example. If I'd only replace the hardware every 2 years, I'd simply be bored. Testing new apps on the other hand is 80% of the fun. And given the extremely low prices for iOS or Android apps, that's not really an issue. "Time" may be an issue. But how much time does it really take, to replace your 10 or 20 core applications?

I see this all the time: Friends, trashing their hundreds of DVDs to jump onto the Blue-Ray-wagon. Before that, trashing their hundreds of CDs for MP3s and so on...

cjp
10-22-2010, 04:08 PM

++:tdown: We want wi-fi!

cjp
10-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I am patiently :coffeebreak: waiting for a great Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab is number one on my list) but am so reluctant to have to buy a another data plan. Since I have a Droid (Verizon) - the capabilities of the Archos 101 is intriguing.

"Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & Bluetooth™ technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via Bluetooth™ or even via USB cable. This will give you easy access to Internet directly on your device anytime and anywhere. There’s no need to pay an extra fee when you already have a data service plan***. "

Does anyone know if the SGT will be able to do this too?

mgmueller
10-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I am patiently :coffeebreak: waiting for a great Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab is number one on my list) but am so reluctant to have to buy a another data plan. Since I have a Droid (Verizon) - the capabilities of the Archos 101 is intriguing.

"Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & Bluetooth™ technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via Bluetooth™ or even via USB cable. This will give you easy access to Internet directly on your device anytime and anywhere. There’s no need to pay an extra fee when you already have a data service plan***. "

Does anyone know if the SGT will be able to do this too?

Samsung Galaxy Tab does have 2 cool features re. connectivity:
a.) Mobile AP. I've used a MiFi for that, now I can do it on Samsung Galaxy. Comes in handy, as I've only got 3 Multi-SIMs and my Dell Streak had to share one with Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Doesn't have MAC filtering, which I normally use. But it does have WPA2.
Working flawlessly.
b.) Tethering. Share your phone's mobile data connection via USB.

cjp
10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks mgmueller - I didn't really think about MiFi since Verizon seems to advance it with their new iPad release (but I'll definitely look at it again) and the USB tether seems....okay, but since that should be easy enough with little hassle - at least for this first year or so, this might be a good solution to avoid the double pay for data plans.

Seriously, does Verizon (or any of the carriers) really expect me to pay for a phone AND a tablet monthly charge? :rofl:
cjp

HansTWN
10-22-2010, 11:18 PM
- Dell Streak is great. But Android 1.6 is no fun at all. Flashing 2.1 from O2 UK did help. But if I compare to 2.2 on Samsung Galaxy, 2.1 is far behind. Given that handicap, Dell Streak can't shine as much as would be possible if I look at its featureset..

There is a stable user 2.2 ROM available for the Streak. For the moment I am happy with 2.1 and if I need flash I can use Skyfire (except for Hulu). The user ROM doesn't have any Dell customizations and 2.1 is very fast already, so I see no need to upgrade now. The official 2.2 should come next month. WiFi range and browsing speeds are quite amazing. Videos look good, music is fine through the headphones. Letters in ebooks are crisp. And the 5" size is still easily pocketable, 7" isn't. And while browsing on a 5" screen there already is so much less zooming and pushing around involved compared to 3.5", it is quite a relief. So my take is if you want one device that does everything quite well, then the 5" is the perfect size. If you want a serious tablet, though, 12" with a full OS seems more like it. The only thing I hate is the typing on touch screens, so for business use, I will definitely keep using my Touch Pro2.

=X=
10-23-2010, 04:40 PM
What can I say?
Wow!
The display is extremely crisp, the touchscreen as responsive as on iPad.

I too was very interested in the Streak and the Tab, esp the Streak since a 5" phone was a great size, any bigger and the phone is just not portable. What killed the Streak for me is that here in the sates it was an AT&T exclusive. Had it been on other carries I would have gotten it even with it shipping with 1.6. As an aside Dell has pulled the 2.1 update and is claiming to have 2.2 by the end of year.

The Galaxy Tab has really had my interest, I was hoping it would meet the price of the iPad, but it is for some reason more expensive. Hardware wise you are getting more with the GTab but unless your a real techie that is into hardware the difference is not noticeable. Of course there are other HW features like Front Facing Cameras, SD Slots that folks might look at.

I don't' get peoples obsession with a WI-FI only model. It might reduce the price but not by much. Then they will have a device that cannot have a data plan if ever they need to have one. So far every service provider is providing 3 levels daily, monthy, and subscription.

One major advantage that GTab also has over the iPad is that the apps that work on smartphones also work on the GTab. The iPad runs them in compatibility mode (better than nothing but not as good a a fully functional app.

There are rumors of a chrome tablet next year and Samsung has already hinted on the the next hardware the GTab will have (expected next year) all I say is wow next year is going to be a great year for tablets.

=X=

Lemurion
10-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Two things put me off the Galaxy Tab.

1) Price.
2) Narrowscreen

(I tend to hold devices in portrait rather than landscape - so widescreen is too narrow for many of my uses.)

ColdSun
10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
The device should definately be compared to a smaller iPad with 3G for price and functionality. I don't think these prices will cut it on today's tablet market. It looks beautiful though. Some people may not like me saying this, but lets be realistic. This device isn't going to win any real market share until it has a compelling price. Being smaller and offering no low-budget version ( a no 3G/plan version) will make it an issue for many just looking for a bigger iPod Touch (a serious market for many people like me looking for their next portable device). I'll believe the success of this device when I see it with my own eyes, but I don't think this will be replacing many iPads, Kindles, Nooks, or whatever device most people are using for entertainment right now. Final verdict: far too expensive and likely to only end up with a small niche market which will have some dedicated users until Samsung pulls a Nokia and cuts support/development on the device out from under the users due to low profitability.

Crowl
10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
The wifi-only version is on its way:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/galaxy-tab-wifi-only-model-hitting-best-buy-for-499-99-sprint/

Crowl
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't' get peoples obsession with a WI-FI only model. It might reduce the price but not by much. Then they will have a device that cannot have a data plan if ever they need to have one. So far every service provider is providing 3 levels daily, monthy, and subscription.

For me, I simply wouldn't use the 3g functionality enough to merit paying an extra 100 for my ipad and with other tablets supporting tethering etc. there just seems even less benefit with them.

ColdSun
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/galaxy-tab-wifi-only-model-hitting-best-buy-for-499-99-sprint/

I noticed that, and that is a good thing. This is still a pricey device, but maybe having this lower priced version will help. :)

wodin
10-25-2010, 02:38 PM
The device should definately be compared to a smaller iPad with 3G for price and functionality. I don't think these prices will cut it on today's tablet market. It looks beautiful though. Some people may not like me saying this, but lets be realistic. This device isn't going to win any real market share until it has a compelling price. Being smaller and offering no low-budget version ( a no 3G/plan version) will make it an issue for many just looking for a bigger iPod Touch (a serious market for many people like me looking for their next portable device). I'll believe the success of this device when I see it with my own eyes, but I don't think this will be replacing many iPads, Kindles, Nooks, or whatever device most people are using for entertainment right now. Final verdict: far too expensive and likely to only end up with a small niche market which will have some dedicated users until Samsung pulls a Nokia and cuts support/development on the device out from under the users due to low profitability.

I heard that Best Buy will be offering a wifi only version for $400, same price as Sprint's 3G versan with 2 year contract.

I have a 3G/4G USB dongle with Time Warner, just need the Android drivers/Connection Manager for and I'd be good to go. I might even hack it and install the PCI Express internally in the tablet to leverage my existing data plan with TW. I would then have one of the only 4G tablets in existence.

tubemonkey
10-25-2010, 04:31 PM
$500 is too high. Bring it down to $400 and I might consider it.

=X=
10-25-2010, 08:52 PM

I thought $500 was too good of a price for 7" Super AMOLED screen. I'm not the only one it seems Endgaget has updated the article to also indicating that they think that is a typo and not a new spec.

=X=

wodin
10-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I heard that Best Buy will be offering a wifi only version for $400, same price as Sprint's 3G versan with 2 year contract.

Opps, I just re-read the article, that's $499; virtually the same price as a wifi only iPad. Thanks Steve for setting the bar so high!

ColdSun
10-26-2010, 01:12 AM
I really love this device, but $500 is too much. I'm sure some folks think it is just fine but if you think in comparison to what you can get for $500 in other devices that just seems high.

=X=
10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I really love this device, but $500 is too much. I'm sure some folks think it is just fine but if you think in comparison to what you can get for $500 in other devices that just seems high.

Well from that approach then $500 is a great deal. Personally I just think $500 is too much for any consumption based device (e.g. used primarily for surfing, reading, playing games.).

I suppose if I did not already have a 4" smartphone and a Kindle 2 I might consider buying a device like this. But 7" seems a bit too large to be portable. The 5" streak was ideal, too bad Dell ruined it by shipping 1.6 and tying it to AT&T.
=X=

LakeLoon
10-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Having just returned from playing with one (at the "Samsung Experience" in NYC), I have to say that the Tab is pretty sweet. The iPad has its merits, but I really prefer the Samsung form factor, SD card slot, and forward-facing camera.

$500 for wifi-only is not cheap, but as a "first mover" in the premium Android tablet world, Samsung can get away with charging more. The price will come down as the competition heats up, I don't doubt. But plenty of people won't be able to wait . . .

tubemonkey
10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
$500 for wifi-only is not cheap, but as a "first mover" in the premium Android tablet world, Samsung can get away with charging more. The price will come down as the competition heats up, I don't doubt. But plenty of people won't be able to wait . . .

I'm not sure just how much they can get away with such high pricing; especially in light of B&N's surprise entry into the tablet arena.

At half the price, it's hard to walk away from the Nook Color.

LakeLoon
10-31-2010, 12:43 PM
At half the price, it's hard to walk away from the Nook Color.

I agree that the Nook Color's pricing is more attractive, but the specs aren't equivalent (I don't think anyone would dispute that). The Tab is a "premium" device, the Nook is more "value" oriented.

I don't claim to know the definitive specs of either device--just what I read, which could be wrong--but I believe the Galaxy Tab Wifi will have a faster CPU (1GHz vs 800 MHz), better graphics (SGX540 vs. 530), video out, bluetooth, a GPS chip, rear and front-facing cameras, and full Android marketplace (the Samsung guy claimed).

For me, those features are a powerful argument for laying down more cash. Worth twice the price? I still haven't decided. I will need to spend some hands-on time with the Nook and see if I get the same "wow, that's really nice" sensation I got when playing with the Tab.

Rebo
10-31-2010, 02:06 PM
As gadgets are being outdated at an alarming rate, I think $500 is a lot of money for common public to invest in a premium 1st gen device that is going to be obsolete in a couple of months.

$250 for the Nook Color like you said is more "value oriented" and it is priced at a level where people feel less painful to pay for something that they know would be outdated in 6 months. It is not a Cadillac but it might be just good enough for people who wants a decent device now until the next and better goody comes along.

LakeLoon
10-31-2010, 05:06 PM
As gadgets are being outdated at an alarming rate, I think $500 is a lot of money for common public to invest in a premium 1st gen device that is going to be obsolete in a couple of months.

You know, I don't disagree. But I see some logic in the pricing. People are willing to pay $500+ for iPads, and the Tab will be viewed by some as an iPad alternative--attractive for those who prefer the 7" form factor, Android over iOS, other hardware differences.

Hmm, "obsolete" is a tricky term. For me, if it works well for the things I want to do, a device doesn't become "obsolete" simply because a newer/shinier/better spec'd device comes along. Whereas, if its performance is deficient to begin with, it was probably "obsolete" the second it left the shelf.

LakeLoon
11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Engadget has posted a full review of the Tab here (http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/01/samsung-galaxy-tab-review/). Their conclusion? While they have reservations, they also say:

After spending the last couple of days with the Galaxy Tab, we can confidently say it's the best Android tablet on the market. Now, that's not saying much given the state of the Android competition, but we can also assuredly say that the Tab is the first true competitor to Apple's iPad. Its crisp display, compact form factor, touch-friendly software and dual cameras undoubtedly have what it takes to win over the average tablet seeker.

So now, let's get that wifi-only version released, and then some real competition to bring the price down!

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't claim to know the definitive specs of either device--just what I read, which could be wrong--but I believe the Galaxy Tab Wifi will have a faster CPU (1GHz vs 800 MHz), better graphics (SGX540 vs. 530), video out, bluetooth, a GPS chip, rear and front-facing cameras, and full Android marketplace (t he Samsung guy claimed).

CPU/GPU -- will the average consumer even notice?
video out -- why? what practical purpose does this provide?
GPS/cams -- why? this device isn't small enough to warrant these
bluetooth -- it's built into the CPU, all B&N needs to do it activate it

Market -- this is the Galaxy's one and only major advantage over the Nook; a hack will remedy that though

LakeLoon
11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
bluetooth -- it's built into the CPU, all B&N needs to do it activate it

Clearly you do not envision using a tablet in the same ways as me!

CPU/GPU - crucial for smooth video playback, crispness of interface. The average consumer will definitely notice lag.
video out - because I want to use it as a portable media player, allowing me to play videos on TVs in hotels/homes of friends and family when on the road
cams - video Skype. I don't much care about the rear-facing one.
GPS - to use as navigation in (rented) automobiles and for geocaching.

I already carry devices that perform these functions, and use them all the time. If I can replace some of them with the Tab, it becomes worth acquiring another device.

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Clearly you do not envision using a tablet in the same ways as me!

And neither does the average consumer.

LakeLoon
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
And neither does the average consumer.

. . . and my point was that the Tab is priced as a premium product, not one targeted at the "average consumer," yes? The premium space is a nice place to be. Just ask Apple.

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
. . . and my point was that the Tab is priced as a premium product, not one targeted at the "average consumer," yes? The premium space is a nice place to be. Just ask Apple.

But it doesn't have enough so-called premium features to justify such a ridiculously high price.

CPU/GPU for the Nook Color is just a bit less than the iPad and Galaxy; not substantially less. Likewise, it's display is their equal.

The major drawback for the Color is lack of an established app store; and that's not worth an extra $250 in my opinion. Others may feel differently.

mgmueller
11-01-2010, 09:04 PM

I love GPS on iPad and Galaxy Tab and my other units.
You're right: I won't use any of these tablets as a GPS system on my bike for example.
But I love them as my travel companions. On the road, iPhone4 or Dell Streak of course will suffice.
But in the evening, in the hotel, it's just great to check your pictures and maps directly on your tab. Of course you can use a combo, for example iPhone4/iPad or Dell Streak/Notebook, for the very same result. But often you'll enjoy the convenience of a single unit. And then Galaxy Tab is a perfect compromise of mobility and screen estate. For some uses, I find Dell Streak's 5" just too small and iPad way too bulky...

mgmueller
11-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I use this on all my devices. 2 weeks ago, I've watched half a dozen episodes of "Friends" and "Two and a half men" in my hotel room. I've used my iPod classic for that. But sometimes I have to travel "light" and just want to take a single unit with me. Then it's great to connect your gadget to your hotel's TV in the evening instead of watching PayTV or sometimes strange shows in a foreign language.

mgmueller
11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Out of curiosity, I've copied a HD movie ("Horton", ca. 4GB) to Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab. On Dell Streak, with it's smaller screen, it's spectacular. But the unit struggles, it's no "smooth experience" (maybe 2.2 will change it a bit, using 2.1 for now). Samsung Galaxy Tab plays it perfectly. Won't be my main use, I'm mainly using more compact units like iPhone4 or iPod classic as my movie library. But it's good to know, I could do with a single unit.

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 09:12 PM
The premium space is a nice place to be. Just ask Apple.

For sure. They've found enough people who don't mind paying more for a product than it's worth. About the only thing they make that's reasonably priced is the iPod touch. Who else makes a $215 PDA with such a huge assortment of free software? Pretty much everything else is a rip off.

mgmueller
11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
But it doesn't have enough so-called premium features to justify such a ridiculously high price.

CPU/GPU for the Nook Color is just a bit less than the iPad and Galaxy; not substantially less. Likewise, it's display is their equal.

The major drawback for the Color is lack of an established app store; and that's not worth an extra $250 in my opinion. Others may feel differently.

I compare differently:
a.) In which area is iPad "better" than Galaxy Tab? If I compare both, their prices are in line and make sense.
(I agree, iTunes for now is ahead of the Android market. But that doesn't directly influence the hardware).
b.) Apple is one of the few companies, keeping their prices up over the entire lifecycle of a product. Most other manufacturers drop their prices briefly after introduction. Dell Streak for example (in Germany) already is € 60 cheaper than when being introduced only a month ago. As an early adopter you pay a premium, in 3 months Galaxy Tab probably will be € 100 cheaper.
c.) Personally, I spend way more money afterwards, with apps, eBooks, movies, TV shows, accessories, ..... than with the original unit. Usually, my ratio of hardware to "add-ons" is maybe 1:5 or even 1:10. So I don't care that much about the initial price of the hardware, but availability of add-ons. As much as I enjoy iPad and iPhone4, I'm more than happy about exchanging apps between Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy tab for example. Pay once - and then use on the unit which fits best. Between iPhone and iPad there's way less difference - and way less fun in experimenting. To me, that's worth something...

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
I use this on all my devices. 2 weeks ago, I've watched half a dozen episodes of "Friends" and "Two and a half men" in my hotel room. I've used my iPod classic for that. But sometimes I have to travel "light" and just want to take a single unit with me. Then it's great to connect your gadget to your hotel's TV in the evening instead of watching PayTV or sometimes strange shows in a foreign language.

Interesting; I'm never been in a motel room long enough to worry about possible poor television programming.

Do you think the average (non-tech) person does that while traveling?

mgmueller
11-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Interesting; I'm never been in a motel room long enough to worry about possible poor television programming.

Do you think the average (non-tech) person does that while traveling?

I don't think it's that common yet. My parents certainly wouldn't know how to hook up my gadgets to the TV.
But it's getting easier. Samsung Galaxy Tab for example is able to stream directly to Samsung TVs. I admit, I don't see that much Samsung TVs in hotels, but it's an interesting concept of course.
And with docking stations and such, I'm pretty sure it will become more common. For now, streaming and downloading still is somewhat behind purchasing or renting DVDs or Blue-Rays, but I'm pretty sure this will change rapidly.
And I already use it quite intensively.

BTW: I've been 3 days/2 nights in that hotel. I've prepared some presentations there and did enjoy my favorite shows as "background noise".

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
BTW: I've been 3 days/2 nights in that hotel. I've prepared some presentations there and did enjoy my favorite shows as "background noise".

And that's why the Color isn't for you. What B&N did was to strip out the features most people don't need, while still providing a premium device at a bargain price.

I'd love to have a Galaxy Tab, but it's not worth $500. $350 maybe, but no more than that.

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Out of curiosity, I've copied a HD movie ("Horton", ca. 4GB) to Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab. On Dell Streak, with it's smaller screen, it's spectacular. But the unit struggles, it's no "smooth experience" (maybe 2.2 will change it a bit, using 2.1 for now). Samsung Galaxy Tab plays it perfectly. Won't be my main use, I'm mainly using more compact units like iPhone4 or iPod classic as my movie library. But it's good to know, I could do with a single unit.

I'm anxious to see how the Color does. How it handles multimedia and web surfing is very important to me.

tubemonkey
11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
a.) In which area is iPad "better" than Galaxy Tab?

The Galaxy is the better device, and the one I'd get if I had to choose between the two.

thinkpad
11-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab for example is able to stream directly to Samsung TVs. I admit, I don't see that much Samsung TVs in hotels, but it's an interesting concept of course.
I might be mistaken but any Television supporting DLNA (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance) should be able to stream content from the Galaxy.

DLNA which is supported by the Galaxy is further explained here:
http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/

rhari79
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
If the Tab had come out maybe 2weeks back, i "may" have considered getting it.
But still may have rejected it for lack of a decent pdf reader. I have a dell streak and i still cant find a pdf reader that can render pdf at a decent speed(among the free apps at least).

Desperately needing a big reader, i got a 2nd ipad (my first is back@home).
With GoodReader, i cant regret getting the ipad.

My existing appstore collection is touching 300. That and limera1n were the final straw.
I decided against pocketbook/entourage edge etc.,

Also personally i like the IOS much more than the android(but so far have only used the 1.6 on streak and archos, Waiting for 2.2 on streak).

HansTWN
11-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Also personally i like the IOS much more than the android(but so far have only used the 1.6 on streak and archos, Waiting for 2.2 on streak).

Why didn't you upgrade to 2.1 at least? That runs extremely well on my device.The included QuickOffice works great with PDF files. The only thing I miss is flash. But anyway, the official 2.2 upgrade should be here shortly.

rhari79
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Why didn't you upgrade to 2.1 at least? That runs extremely well on my device.The included QuickOffice works great with PDF files. The only thing I miss is flash. But anyway, the official 2.2 upgrade should be here shortly.

I just got my Streak. I use it on Three PAYG and have managed to get the Three skype app working on 1.6. I am not sure if this will work out in 2.1. There are contrasting claims.
Also 2.2 is a bigger jump from 1.6 compared to 2.1 Am not sure if Stephen Hyde's 2.2 has the phone module working, but bigger question is about Three Skype.
So am holding out for a while.

Maggie Leung
11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I just got my Streak. I use it on Three PAYG and have managed to get the Three skype app working on 1.6. I am not sure if this will work out in 2.1. There are contrasting claims.
Also 2.2 is a bigger jump from 1.6 compared to 2.1 Am not sure if Stephen Hyde's 2.2 has the phone module working, but bigger question is about Three Skype.
So am holding out for a while.

Are you talking about Skype, the VOIP app? If so, can you see video on Skype?

I can't see Skype video on the iDevices that I have, and it sucks to be tethered to a netbook or laptop to see it. I'm on an opposite time zone from my young niece and nephew, and I wanna see the little buggers during their waking hours. I might get a Streak if I can conveniently see Skype video on the go.

rhari79
11-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Are you talking about Skype, the VOIP app? If so, can you see video on Skype?

Hi, no skype still doesnt do video.
Facetime will be your best bet(works on macs, itouch 4 and iphone 4). You can also check out fring; not sure if it does video.

Also there is a skype beta floating around, for Froyo. Maybe that has video.
Interesting to see if that works on the Galaxy Tab.

Maggie Leung
11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi, no skype still doesnt do video.
Facetime will be your best bet(works on macs, itouch 4 and iphone 4). You can also check out fring; not sure if it does video.

Also there is a skype beta floating around, for Froyo. Maybe that has video.
Interesting to see if that works on the Galaxy Tab.

Thanks for the info. I'll hold out to see what comes out.

I'm abroad and was told that the Galaxy tab will be out mid-month where I am now. Looking forward to hearing early adopters' reports and to tire-kicking at the store.

Facetime requires both ends to use iDevices on wi-fi, as I understand it, so the combo doesn't work for my circumstances. Bummer.

mgmueller
11-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll hold out to see what comes out.

I'm abroad and was told that the Galaxy tab will be out mid-month where I am now. Looking forward to hearing early adopters' reports and to tire-kicking at the store.

Facetime requires both ends to use iDevices on wi-fi, as I understand it, so the combo doesn't work for my circumstances. Bummer.

As a quick summary:
I haven't touched my iPad for weeks now.
For reading, iPad is too heavy and bulky for me. Some say "I've found a reading position, I'm balancing it this and that way". Huh? I don't want to change my reading habits or positions, to make my gadget work...
I like the UI and design. But iPad isn't anything "special" anymore in this area either.
I'd love Dell Streak. The ratio of resolution to screen size is spectacular. Unfortunately, even Android 2.1 isn't quite there yet.
Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android 2.2 out of the box shows the potential and by far is my favorite now.

iOS still is a bit more "polished" than Android. But in general, I prefer Galaxy Tab's from factor, weight and usability. For example, 1 hour ago on the train I've had perfect reception on Galaxy Tab (even made a phone call) and no connection at all on iPhone4 (very same provider/Multi SIM).

I easily can hold Galaxy Tab for hours in one hand. I don't have to find some strange position, it simply only weighs half of iPad.

What I dislike on all tablets for now: Software, in my opinion, mainly is inferior to what we have on PCs or MACs. Not because of limitations of the hardware, but because it's mainly "no-names" in the appstores.
There are some highlights, for example "Navigon" for navigation.
But for most parts I really struggle to find what I want. Most of the times I have to try 3 or even 5 apps, before I find an acceptable one. They all are extremely cheap. But what can you really expect for 3 US Dollars? I hope, we'll find way more quality products on all of these platforms. For now, iTunes is ahead of Android's market place. But (as we say in Germany) that's the "one eyed guy under blinds".

Anyway, I'll certainly go for the next Samsung tablet (most likely they'll have 9" and later on 5"versions of Galaxy Tab within 3 months).

BTW: Slight criticism aside, iPad still by far is my favorite Apple product. iPhone4 on the other hand, in my experience, is the same '*/$(/) as all iPhones before. Business phone without profiles? They must be kidding...

HansTWN
11-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Apparently video works with Yahoo messenger in Android. I haven't tried it yet, but that is what I read in the various forums.

Maggie Leung
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Apparently video works with Yahoo messenger in Android. I haven't tried it yet, but that is what I read in the various forums.

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for feedback. I recently started using Yahoo's IM because some family members use it. I didn't even know they offered video.

Would be easier if all your contacts used the same service. Less hopping around to talk to everyone.

Maggie Leung
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
As a quick summary:
I haven't touched my iPad for weeks now. ...

Good to hear you're liking your Streak. I'm not brand loyal, so I'm open to getting a Streak or whatever else serves my needs. I want companies to kill themselves trying to better serve us, lol.

For now, I have a bunch of iGadgets. They're far from perfect, but I really like how everything works together, rather seamlessly. And for a tech dolt like me, the major hurdle is persuading me to learn a new way of doing things. I'm willing to do it if there's something I really wanna do, but my needs are pretty vanilla, so it's hard to tempt me. I also don't wanna buy something I hafta mess with. I just want it to work.

I love tablet form, so I'm definitely sticking with that. But I dunno that I'll stick with iPad. Good thing is, it's so easy to use, I know a couple of people who would really enjoy my iPads when I switch. I was just teaching a technophobe how to use my spare iPad, and she's taking to it. This is someone who barely uses the Internet normally. I showed her basics, then tempted her with apps like Bloomberg, so she can monitor investments on the go. Her eyes kinda lighted up, lol.

HansTWN
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I showed her basics, then tempted her with apps like Bloomberg, so she can monitor investments on the go. Her eyes kinda lighted up, lol.

Good thing you couldn't show that to her in 2008 when the market tanked, her eyes probably wouldn't have lit up back then. :smack:

Anyway, if you ever decide to buy a Streak, wait until you get one with Android 2.2 preloaded. 2.1 works fine for me, but 2.2 is faster and you have flash (if you ever need it). That should be coming late this month. It is a great device, over WiFi browsing is just as fast as on my computer, streaming over our slingbox is great, and everything works instantaneously and very smoothly. And it is still totally portable, the perfect size for me. Typing is the only hassle (Swype is the best option for English but doesn't work for Asian languages) -- which is why I still use my old phone for work. And as far as typing goes the Streak probably is better than the Galaxy tab. 5" is a good size for Swype, but too big for regular thumb typing in landscape unless you have very big hands. In portrait it is better. 7" is too small for regular typing and too big for Swype.

Maggie Leung
11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Good thing you couldn't show that to her in 2008 when the market tanked, her eyes probably wouldn't have lit up back then. :smack:

Anyway, if you ever decide to buy a Streak, wait until you get one with Android 2.2 preloaded. 2.1 works fine for me, but 2.2 is faster and you have flash (if you ever need it). That shouldn't be coming late this month. It is a great device, over WiFi browsing is just as fast as on my computer, streaming over our slingbox is great, and everything works instantaneously and very smoothly. And it is still totally portable, the perfect size for me. Typing is the only hassle (Swype is the best option for English but doesn't work for Asian languages) -- which is why I still use my old phone for work. And as far as typing goes the Streak probably is better than the Galaxy tab. 5" is a good size for Swype, but too big for regular thumb typing in landscape unless you have very big hands. In portrait it is better. 7" is too small for regular typing and too big for Swype.

Yup, I'm much more likely to get a Streak than a Galaxy, because of the size. I don't think Galaxy is going to offer enough difference from iPad for my purposes.

I left the U.S. before Streak came out, or I would've checked it out by now. I ordered an iPhone 4 overseas before I got here, so I'd have a phone to use right away. I got it here because they're sold factory unlocked and I didn't have time to mess with a new device. It's worked well, but I figured I could easily sell it on return to the U.S., because it's unlocked.

Estuche
11-07-2010, 01:12 AM
CAn anyone please comment on the Galaxy tab's performance with PDF documents? Is there a software for highlighting text, for example?

Regards,

cobo808
11-07-2010, 03:56 AM
CAn anyone please comment on the Galaxy tab's performance with PDF documents? Is there a software for highlighting text, for example?

Regards,

Agree, highlighting is practically a necessity!

Logseman
11-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm extremely underwhelmed with the Galaxy Tab's handling. I could try it today in the FNAC and I found it strangely heavy and uncomfortable in comparison to the iPad. It is bizarre, given that I love my Samsung Galaxy S phone which works just like a smaller version.

thinkpad
11-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm of another opinion. I've held and played with both the iPad and the Galaxy and the Galaxy feels a lot lighter. The form factor is just so much smaller than the iPad and just a bit bigger than the K2.

Sorry for the poor image quality taken with my Hero:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=3440&albumid=352&dl=1289151082&thumb=1

Bigger picture:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=352&pictureid=3440

rhari79
11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Just came back from Currys and handled the Tab in a limited way(with the wire tethering etc.,). I did not feel it as being very heavy. Much lighter than the ipad. Good responsive UI.
Little confusing, typical of all android, since i am over-drugged(but i love my maemo better) by IOS.

It seems little too big(or maybe narrow/rectangular) to read fiction etc. and more than a little too small to read technical pdfs. The ipad feels more squarer.
More number of lines per page in an epub to read, with too few words in each line. I will be mentally putting more Carriage Returns per page.

People have told its funny to see me talk with a Dell Streak. And that will be doubly so for the Tab I guess. It has a high sillyness quotient, unless used with a headset/bluetooth.

What these devices need are good grips. I havent found much comfort in the covers.
I have a Marware cover for my ipad that has a simple strap in the back to help in gripping. This works while standing. However i am not very comfortable using this while i am in bed. thats when the ipad feels real heavy.

Maybe the heavy part of the Tab can be solved by a better cover, one that helps the grip in different positions.

Something like this might, i think, have a comfortable grip:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/26/panasonics-words-gear-color-e-book-reader/

petermillard
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
It seems little too big(or maybe narrow/rectangular) to read fiction etc...

+1. I think it's a real mistake to make these tablets (especially the smaller ones) in widescreen format when you're aiming for a multi-purpose device. I also had a play with a Galaxy Tab today, and reading text in portrait mode just wasn't comfortable for me; widescreen's great for movies etc... in landscape format, but IMO just too narrow in portrait <shrug>

Pete

tubemonkey
11-10-2010, 10:45 AM
These prices and fees are outrageous! Tell me it's a joke??? :eek:

T-Mobile USA (http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-hits-t-mobile-with-free-messaging-10113314/) has become the first US carrier to launch the Samsung Galaxy Tab, with the 7-inch Froyo slate priced at $399.99 with a new, two-year data plan or $599.99 plan-free. Two data packages are on offer $24.99 for 200MB or $39.99 for 5GB but each comes with unlimited text, picture and video messaging from the slate.

Logseman
11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Consider the Spanish price of €850 plan-free and tell me again who's joking.

Maggie Leung
11-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Yup, those prices sound like the U.S. ones I've seen. When saw them, I thought, you've got to be kidding.

I'm overseas indefinitely and am paying about 25 bucks USD for unlimited data, without a contract, on my iPad. If I went on contract, I could pay even less. In the U.S., I was grandfathered under AT&T's $29.99 unlimited data plan. With those kind of Galaxy Tab prices, I have no incentive to consider switching.

mgmueller
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM

In my opinion, those prices totally are in line with similar products and I don't have the slightest problems with this pricing level.

As an early adopter, I've paid 700 for the Galaxy Tab in Germany (unlocked).
I've paid about 600 for Dell Streak and you pay about 700 for a comparable iPad 3G.
You have to pay -and this really seems somewhat outrageous- 900 (!!!) for an unlocked iPhone4.

If I'd follow the logic "smaller screen = lower price" (which I don't, as display size only is 1 of 734 cost drivers), iPhone4 by far is most overpriced, followed by Dell Streak. Galaxy Tab on the other hand, in comparison to iPad, totally makes sense (smaller screen, but cameras, SD slot and other stuff = same price).

And:
a.) I've never got the discussion about hardware prices anyway. In the 2 months owning Dell Streak, I've paid way more in Android software, than I'd invested in the hardware. Similarly, I've got hundreds of purchased eBooks on my readers, hundreds of purchased movies in iTunes and so on.
b.) I'll never get angry reactions of customers. Simply don't buy it and never again think a single second about it...
c.) What's the base of your comparison? iPad? That one I've tried to comment at the beginning of this response. Tablet (PCs)? My Samsung UMPC still is > 1000. It's slower in all instances and hess less to offer (with the exception of XP as a full blown OS = full PC features). Other LCDs, for example nook color? Those range form 150 to 500 and totally are in line with Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad if I compare "price vs. features".
d.) Or do you focus on the contracted version instead of the unlocked one? For one, I'd never do that if an unlocked version is available. I'm using mine with my 3rd T-Mobile Multi-SIM. And even then the prices seem okay.

Maggie Leung
11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Data plan prices are going in the wrong direction for me. At this rate, I'm going to keep my AT&T unlimited grandfathered subscription as long as possible. I just checked, and I've used 12GB, and I'm only about midway into my billing cycle.

mgmueller
11-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm extremely underwhelmed with the Galaxy Tab's handling. I could try it today in the FNAC and I found it strangely heavy and uncomfortable in comparison to the iPad. It is bizarre, given that I love my Samsung Galaxy S phone which works just like a smaller version.

Interesting.
I first saw Galaxy Tab in German "Media Markt", the day before I've got mine via Amazon.
I was (and still am) surprised, how light it was. I comfortably hold it in a single hand for hours every day, whereas iPad is way to heavy for me to hold it that long. And the figures agree: iPad weighs twice as much.
And I find Galaxy Tab way more comfortable to hold. The form factor is very similar to 6" eBook readers like Kindle3. I like that very much, Sony 900 always has been my favorite eBook reader re. "form factor".

I only have 2 minor "complaints" about Galaxy Tab:
a.) Battery duration. It's a bit less than iPad (maybe 7 hours), probably easily to explain with size of unit = size of battery.
b.) Dell Streak and Galaxy Tab occasionally crash on me. Android still seems less "polished" and stable than iOS.

On the other hand, there are some real advantages to iPad:
a.) I'm very curious about "multitasking" on iPad. But I know it from iPhone4 and I'm not very fond of it:
- You can't choose, whether you'd like to close or multi-task an app. On Android you can. I guess, I close apps about 70% of the time. So it's really a pain in the ass, to automatically multi-task on iPhone4.
- Activating the apps in the background, on iPhone is another pain in the ass. There's a single physical button, so obviously the only way is to double-press this one. On Android, it's way easier.
b.) You've got full control on Android with its 4 capacitive buttons. For example, you can search on every page, in every app.
c.) The closed system from Apple has some advantages. But I very much like, choosing from various vendors using the same OS. It's interesting to compare Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab. Same OS and still lots of differences.
d.) Not of extreme importance to me. But it's helpful, being able to expand the memory with standard cards on Android units. And the cameras are nice. Given the portability, I use them as my travel companions and enjoy taking the occasional snapshot (with GPS tagging and all the common advantages).
e.) I Like, toying around with my gadgets. On Android, you easily (without any hacks or jailbreaks) can access your internal memory, drag and drop files and the likes.

mgmueller
11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Yup, those prices sound like the U.S. ones I've seen. When saw them, I thought, you've got to be kidding.

I'm overseas indefinitely and am paying about 25 bucks USD for unlimited data, without a contract, on my iPad. If I went on contract, I could pay even less. In the U.S., I was grandfathered under AT&T's $29.99 unlimited data plan. With those kind of Galaxy Tab prices, I have no incentive to consider switching.

Why not just buy the unlocked one?
I'm doing so with all my gadgets. That's the reason why I keep my original T-Mobile contract with 3 Multi-SIMs.

Maggie Leung
11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Why not just buy the unlocked one?
I'm doing so with all my gadgets. That's the reason why I keep my original T-Mobile contract with 3 Multi-SIMs.

As far as I know, all U.S. iPads are sold unlocked. Both of mine were. That's why I can use a local micro-SIM card abroad and use my AT&T card in the U.S.

mgmueller
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
As far as I know, all U.S. iPads are sold unlocked. Both of mine were. That's why I can use a local micro-SIM card abroad and use my AT&T card in the U.S.

Same experience here.
With iPad.
But with Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab as well.
So I wouldn't compare the fees and volume limits, but the sole purchasing price for the hardware.

Maggie Leung
11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Same experience here.
With iPad.
But with Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab as well.
So I wouldn't compare the fees and volume limits, but the sole purchasing price for the hardware.

Except I'm grandfathered under an unlimited data plan, which is no longer available, and my rate is low for the U.S. If I switched to Galaxy, I'd end up paying a lot more for data. Galaxy doesn't use the same SIM card as iPad, does it?

mgmueller
11-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Except I'm grandfathered under an unlimited data plan, which is no longer available, and my rate is low for the U.S. If I switched to Galaxy, I'd end up paying a lot more for data. Galaxy doesn't use the same SIM card as iPad, does it?

iPad does have a Micro-SIM.
But with an adapter (I've got one for my MiFi, working flawlessly), you should be able to use it.
Works the other way around as well: You can cut a standard SIM to a Micro SIM.
To my knowledge, the only difference is size. You only have to be careful about regions. The US AT&T for example won't work in Germany because of the frequency used.

tubemonkey
11-10-2010, 12:53 PM
b.) I'll never get angry reactions of customers. Simply don't buy it and never again think a single second about it...

Not buying it is exactly what I'll be doing. By contrast, the Nook Color is only $250 and the reason why I'm seriously considering it instead.

tubemonkey
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
c.) What's the base of your comparison? iPad?.

iPad, netbooks, and Nook Color.

Apple pays $230 to manufacture a $500 16GB 10" WiFi iPad. B&N pays $xxx to manufacture a $250 8GB 7" WiFi Nook Color. Outside of app store access, both devices are fairly comparable. Hack the Color and you get apps. Netbooks, on the other hand, are more powerful and far more versatile at only $250~350 in price.

I'm looking for a netbook replacement for personal travel use - web browsing, social, video, audio, photo, and reading. Enterprise and PDF functionality are irrelevant functions for me. I fail to see any advantage of the iPad or Galaxy Tab over the Nook Color.

mgmueller
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM

Apple pays $230 to manufacture a $500 16GB 10" WiFi iPad. B&N pays $xxx to manufacture a $250 8GB 7" WiFi Nook Color. Outside of app store access, both devices are fairly comparable. Hack the Color and you get apps. Netbooks, on the other hand, are more powerful and far more versatile at only $250~350 in price.

I'm looking for a netbook replacement for personal travel use - web browsing, social, video, audio, photo, and reading. Enterprise and PDF functionality are irrelevant functions for me. I fail to see any advantage of the iPad or Galaxy Tab over the Nook Color.

Without going into details:
$ 230 may be the manufacturing costs of iPad. But the total costs, including R&D, overhead and last but not least taxes (!!!) will be way higher.
Seemingly huge margins of 50% for hardware manufacturers eventually lead to way less than 10% EBIT.

And netbooks are more powerful? I don't have one. And I don't want one.
But I've had a powerful UMPC.
Samsung Q1, costing $ 1200 only 2 years ago.
I barely use it since I've got iPad and the likes. "Instant on" is one argument. I've answered emails on iPad, before my UMPC even would have started.
The only real disadvantages, in my opinion, are lack of (professional) applications and notebook capability. I never would draft proposals or presentations on iPad. But I wouldn't do so on netbooks or UMPCs either.

I can't compare to nook color. I've thought about it, but I'll probably pass because of the childish "signature design element". To me, it looks strange and even may harm stability.

I've got the opposite view of you: I fail to see the niche for nook color in comparison to the existing Android tablets.

If you aim for "any" tablet below $ 250, it seems to be the only choice.
But if you choose your gadget and then ask yourself, whether it's worth the money, you'll probably find arguments for all the gadgets mentioned.

Personally, I still remember paying 4000 for notebooks only 5 years ago, so I don't have any problems at all with these prices. Quite the contrary, I often wish for higher quality and even would accept a higher price...

tubemonkey
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
The only real disadvantages, in my opinion, are lack of (professional) applications and notebook capability. I never would draft proposals or presentations on iPad. But I wouldn't do so on netbooks or UMPCs either.

The average person doesn't draft proposals and presentations on any type of computer, so that argument flies out the window for most people. Not sure what you run, but most people can get by on a low end computer; be it a desktop, laptop, netbook, or a tablet.

Before I picked up my current desktop, I used my netbook exclusively as my only computer for over 8 months. I hooked up a keyboard, mouse, and a 22" display. Then I closed the lid and shoved it to the side.

With that setup, I was able to run Hulu, YouTube, OpenOffice, etc. The only time I felt limited was when I opened too many additional windows while streaming video.

=X=
11-10-2010, 03:55 PM

The irony of this post is that you're dismissing the Galaxy based on price but it excels at all of the items you listed above. Where as the nook does not and had to be rooted, (read void warranty) to enable half of these features.

Samasung has put a lot of effort into making this a multimedia device, it has added the required hardware and software(libraries and codecs) to support video such as DivX capable and a graphics accelerator card to support videos and video gaming.

Also the Samsung device is live and will continue to receive Android updates, 2.3 is promised, which is even more optimized for tablets.

It has Market support and GPS, bluetooth, and a camera.... you did mention that photos where important right, the nook has no camera.

Samsung has also heavily optimized their skin to integrate nicely with social apps and has tested video conferencing (has two cameras).

The nook is a nitch device and will not be upgraded and will have the minimal software to make it work with its HW. The OS version is essentially frozen. Sure you an root it and upgrade it but this is effort an not easy, AND voids your warranty.

I really don't understand how you "fail to see any advantage" the Samsung is a superior product, but you are paying for it. If the rooted nook can give you what you need that's fine, but it does not compare to the quality of the Samsung device. You are going to spend a lot of time and tinkering to get the nook working as an android tablet. In the end some people value their time a little more than others.

It's on thing to by a device an tinker with it for fun and another thing to buy a device and tinker with it because you don't want to spend the extra cash.

=X=

tubemonkey
11-10-2010, 04:08 PM
The irony of this post is that you're dismissing the Galaxy based on price but it excels at all of the items you listed above. Where as the nook does not and had to be rooted, (read void warranty) to enable half of these features.

Excelling is not worth it when the same thing can be accomplished at half the price.

tubemonkey
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
It has Market support and GPS, bluetooth, and a camera.... you did mention that photos where important right, the nook has no camera.
~~~~~
You are going to spend a lot of time and tinkering to get the nook working as an android tablet. In the end some people value their time a little more than others.

I don't need GPS, bluetooth, or a camera. We're talking about a 7" tablet, not a pocket computer. Photos - as in viewing, not taking.

BTW, NC already is an Android tablet with a full web browser running 2.1, with 2.2 coming early next year. Outside of official app support, what's missing?

rhari79
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm very curious about "multitasking" on iPad. But I know it from iPhone4 and I'm not very fond of it:

You should really try jailbreak. Its got a lot to offer.
The day i got my Iphone 4/Ipad, i jailbroke it just because i hate to click the lone-solitary button.

and I cringe with distaste when someone else handles my iphone/ipad, because they all have a natural inclination to keep clicking the button.

Since ios, multitask in iphone is limited.
But with ipad still in 3.2.2, circuitous+Activator provides a real good experience.

The thing i hate about android is,
things just seem to spring back into memory like cockroaches or spiders in the house.
Apps like MortPlayer and VCardIO have no business coming back but they still do. I am actually sick of this unruly apps.

And yes, as you mentioned, android seems still half-baked. Pretty unstable(but again i am talking with 1.6 experience).

The best multitasking implementation i have seen till date is in Maemo/N900 and by word of mouth Palm.

Maggie Leung
11-10-2010, 09:06 PM
iPad does have a Micro-SIM.
But with an adapter (I've got one for my MiFi, working flawlessly), you should be able to use it.
Works the other way around as well: You can cut a standard SIM to a Micro SIM.
To my knowledge, the only difference is size. You only have to be careful about regions. The US AT&T for example won't work in Germany because of the frequency used.

Yes, I've seen adapters. I've not tried 'em, though, and don't know whether there are other restrictions tied to the AT&T data plan. Given the low rate I'm paying, I'd be careful about using the card outside the terms of the agreement.

Until Android operates as smoothly and effortlessly for my vanilla needs as iPad does, I don't see myself switching to a Galaxy or other alternative. If I suddenly find my needs changing and not being met, I'll certainly explore. I've been able to do limited work on iPad, as well as use it for email, news and books, so my needs are being met.

For now, I'm much more tempted by the Dell Streak, because of its size and phone. I'm going to check it out the next time I'm stateside. I'm not in a rush.

Lady_3Jane
11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
@mgmueller : how can i assign an additional dictionary to the standard reader on the galaxy tab?
That one does all i need, but i would like to use the Webster prc. Or is that the wrong format?

mgmueller
11-14-2010, 03:40 PM
@mgmueller : how can i assign an additional dictionary to the standard reader on the galaxy tab?
That one does all i need, but i would like to use the Webster prc. Or is that the wrong format?

Sorry, just speculating here as I don't use the standard reader:
The standard reader uses ePUB, so "prc" (mobipocket) would be the wrong file format.
If you're using ePUBs, I'd recommend either "Aldiko" reader (way more options) or maybe even the "nook" app.
You can add your own books to the "nook" app and the "Kindle" app as well.
"Nook" handles ePUBs, "Kindle" handles .prc or .mobi.
And you perfectly can shop from those 2.

Or did you mean the "Kobo" app by "standard reader" (the one you find in the reader hub)?

Crowl
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Are you sure about that, I think it is t-mobile us that uses the out of the ordinary frequency for 3g.

mgmueller
11-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Are you sure about that, I think it is t-mobile us that uses the out of the ordinary frequency for 3g.

Not entirely.
I've tried the AT&T SIMs, that came pre-installed on some of my readers: nook, Sony 900, US iPad, ...
None of them has been working over here in Germany. But this may be for other reasons of course...

cavi
11-16-2010, 12:43 AM
does the galaxy have flash support? How about printing support? Those are the two main limitations that I find in the ipad that have caused me to still keep a netbook which I would love to ditch...

tubemonkey
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
does the galaxy have flash support?

It's running Android 2.2; so yes, it has flash support.